Type keyword(s) to search

SoCharmers in the Media: The Post & Courier

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

Shep's hopes to host a dating show shot down due to the area's distaste for Southern Charm.

http://www.moultrienews.com/news/isle-of-palms-says-no-to-bravo-reality-dating-show/article_163e810a-2530-11e7-b858-eb03e47a612e.html

I was just going to post that. Those city council members certainly didn't mince their words about what they feel about SC:

“I mean, that's been a horrible representation of Charleston, and if it fell off the earth and never showed up again in anyone's Netflix I would be pleased."

I agree with the city council. I mean, sure, the show has evolved a teeny tiny bit from its original premise, but if you're someone who's never heard of Charleston before and this show was your first exposure of the city, it will not make you want to immediately catch a flight to go there for fear or running into these horndogs and catching STDs.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Babyfoot said:

Screenshot of Trav gunning for Craig on Instagram. 

IMG_1538.PNG

He is an idiot man child! As old as he is, he should have a better filter. Based on the video clip that I saw (and if correctly filmed and not completely edited), Craig was right to say what he did and he was correct. I am sorry, but polo is not a reason to ignore your children. My husband is in the military and they do not even ignore their children in formation when deploying or coming home. I swear he is as much of a scumbag (if not more) as Kathryn is. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Think about it. Thomas really is a Monster.

I don't agree. He's older but not necessarily wiser. Kathryn was looking for a rich husband, slept with Whitney, Shep but neither of them bit. Thomas is taking care of his children, friends told me they are much better cared for with him than with her. She can barely get out of bed until after noon. She loves drugs and alcohol more than her children or she'd get her shit together and take the court-ordered drug tests. 

• Love 5

I think "monster" is a little extreme. They seem cared for and happy. As someone who worked briefly for DCFS, in the court system for 8 yrs., and now as a teacher, the shit that real "monsters" put their babies through is incredible. Thomas is no Ward Cleaver, but he's no monster either. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Mm. With his bought and paid for nanny in the Guest house. Even John Wayne Gacy dressed up like a clown to amuse children. . 

He has a full-time business to run. He cannot be at home all day. He hired a competent and loving nanny to care for the children during the day. He had to do this, Kathryn was stoned/high and could not get up in the morning to care for her own children. Would you rather they be with her? Sitting in the floor, dirty, hungry, crying their eyes out?

• Love 9

I have no love or respect for Thomas but I do believe he loves his children and has provided a quality of life for them that their mother never could or would. It seems he's hired a qualified nanny, housed them in a safe, nice home and provided for them in every way possible. Was he irresponsible to sire these two innocent children? Yes. Does he drink too much, tweet too much and act like a disrespectful ass to women? YES. I think there are aspects of Thomas that we can all criticize and some we can agree that he's done well. However. When he dies/becomes incapacitated/develops a horrible disease or dementia, who will raise these precious souls? With his questionable background with drink and drugs, I doubt he'll live to the ripe old, healthy age of 90. Those are just my thoughts on Thomas and his precious children. It makes me sad for those babes.

• Love 4
On 4/21/2017 at 0:06 PM, slowpoked said:

I was just going to post that. Those city council members certainly didn't mince their words about what they feel about SC:

I agree with the city council. I mean, sure, the show has evolved a teeny tiny bit from its original premise, but if you're someone who's never heard of Charleston before and this show was your first exposure of the city, it will not make you want to immediately catch a flight to go there for fear or running into these horndogs and catching STDs.

The way the show has changed the least is that the guys were douchebags in season 1 and they're still douchebags in season 4. I can't imagine that Whitney showed the city council the sizzle reel because that would have sent the council members running for the hills.

Because she's always up for a meal, Cameran does a great job of advertising the area's restaurants. Maybe they can amend the show to have Cameran chaperone the daters at various eateries in and around Charleston.

• Love 3

His kids are in the freaking GUEST HOUSE....thats crazy to me and I don't even have kids.

My dogs would never be shoved in a guest house...TRav obviously has a fancy house but not a home.  Speaks volumes about his priorities 

• Love 4
On 4/22/2017 at 2:44 PM, Major Bigtime said:

He has a full-time business to run. He cannot be at home all day. He hired a competent and loving nanny to care for the children during the day. He had to do this, Kathryn was stoned/high and could not get up in the morning to care for her own children. Would you rather they be with her? Sitting in the floor, dirty, hungry, crying their eyes out?

My husband is in the military and is literally gone all the time. This includes months to years of being gone. When he is home he does not ignore his children or blow them off like this man did in the video that TRav was referring to. I cannot give this man props for raising his children and stepping up when their mother stepped down because that is what a MAN is suppose to do. They are his children and his responsibility. If the mom checks out, well, they have a father who is more than capable of raising them. He is doing exactly like what he is suppose to be doing and I can not applaud him for that. It is what happens when you have children.

Also, if he is angry about how the show is portraying him, why doesn't he stop? He makes plenty of money from his every day job. This show is doing nothing but hurting his reputation. I personally believe he loves his children and wants the best for them. I don't believe he gives his all or even knows how to parent. He very clearly has not given up his vices not his partying lifestyle. For someone to have full custody of their kids, you eventually need to make changes for the better. Kathryn is a horrible mess and there are no excuses for her behavior at all, but he needs to recognize that those babies need one stable parent in their life to raise them. Right now, they don't have that. He has to play the role of two parents now instead of one. If he could just take a step back from the spotlight and the bar scene (along with the young girls with drug issues), he would be doing well. 

I think that is what's Craig was trying to get out. Thomas has been given the privilege to raise those babies yet he takes it for granted. Instead of just taking two minutes to walk over and kiss his children, he told them to get away.  More than ever, those babies could use that love and attention because the attention you get from a nanny is nothing compared to the loved and affection you can get from your father. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

I ask myself that all the time.

He seems to get so angry all the time about how the show portrays him or how other characters portray him, so it would only make sense for him just to quit. If he needed the money I could understand why he would do it. If he doesn't need the money, there really is no purpose for it. He just looks like a fool when he keeps ranting about how he is portrayed yet he does nothing about it. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

I've heard there are scenes with Thomas and others where he's sober, acting normally. But production called them boring and only uses the ones where he's acting out. 

I am sure there are, but I was mostly referencing real life and how he portrays himself on social media. 

• Love 4

And at this point he can no longer claim that he wasn't aware they'd edit his scenes to portray him in the "T-Rav, drunk playboy" persona much more than the "Thomas Ravenel, sober businessman and father" mode. He knows what the producers think makes him interesting, and he sure gives them plenty of that sort of footage.  

• Love 5

I don't think Thomas ever had intentions of being a father.  A provider, maybe, but not a father.  He picked Kathryn like one would pick a brood mare.  If he wants respect, pay her 'vet bills' instead of letting her get dropped off at a "no alcohol allowed" fancy hotel.  Help her.  And if that doesn't work, he'd be no worse off.  He intended on paying someone to be the caretakers of his legacies, anyway.  If Kathryn had her shit together, he'd be paying her nannies.  Now he's just paying his.  So why are his panties in a bunch?

• Love 1

I have witnessed both TRav and Kathrynn (sp) in real life. The poor woman looks worse on this show than what I saw. Not that she gave a great impression off camera. He actually looks better. I do not know them personally but know people who have known him and have personally witnessed full blown public meltdowns by him twice in the last year or two. And that was by completely random, luck of the draw crossing his path. His business should be able to run itself. When he had Ravenel Development I actually worked on two projects for them. He had some sharp people working there who could keep the ball moving. I have no reason to believe he would not have the ability to hire similarly skilled people for his construction firm. I think fame and attention are either part or one of his vices/addictions.

The running joke with his Citadel classmates is that they named the (Ravenel) Bridge for Arthur and the lines for Thomas. Apparently he was a raging snob and total jackass even back then. Which is shocking to hear because most Citadel people are blindingly loyal.

Kathryn made her own bed by failing a drug test. In SC if you are in a custody hearing and fail the drug test everything else goes out the window. Any borderline lawyer in this state will tell you that- including the ones at that diploma mill Craig attended.

2 hours ago, MissMel said:

So why are his panties in a bunch?

Judging by the skin we saw when greased himself into his jeans to go out, I'm doubting he wears panties...

• Love 10

Tamara Tattles has new info on the mediation between Thomas and KD:

http://tamaratattles.com/2017/04/21/exclusive-details-of-kathryn-dennis-and-thomas-ravenels-mediation/

She also has another article in which KD is apparently refusing to give her medical records to the judge, and if she doesn't comply with the order and do the drug tests, the judge will throw her in jail for contempt. TT's sources say that KD will likely take the judge's bluff, so we may be seeing KD in jail soon.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:44 PM, Major Bigtime said:

I would rather the kids be raised by people that are not morally bankrupt.

Never once have I wished harm on any children or apologized for Kathryns actions. Never once have I played the Thomas vs Kathryn game. 

It makes no sense for Thomas to blame his terrible behavior on a "character" that he is playing on Bravo that he is "upset about." Why does he come back for FOUR seasons? Does he need a Bravo Paycheck?  Decidedly Not. 

We all know they are both morons.

I have a fulltime business to run, it does not entitle me to be an all around terrible person .Just Sayin.

Edited by Nancypants
These people, ugh.
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Looks like Shep IS getting a Bravo spinoff show. He will be traveling to different cities looking for "the one". Ugh. 

I second that "Ugh." Oh Shep, NO. It kinda was entertaining for one season to see this with rock star Bret Michaels ("Rock of Love", circa 2007), back when I could put up with stupid, sexist claptrap like finding "the one" via a TV show. I thought Shep was more intelligent than this. Guess his mailbox money isn't as much as he makes out, if he needs another Bravo check so badly. He is coming across more and more as a user and an immature jerk.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Looks like Shep IS getting a Bravo spinoff show. He will be traveling to different cities looking for "the one". Ugh. 

Oh gosh. I thought you said that he'd be looking for "the big one" and I thought 'is he fishing for fish or for another bite (woman) notched on his hook?' lol

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I wonder if this is the original show that's supposed to be on IOP but which the city council declined. So they decided to not concentrate on one area.

Here is the official release from Bravo: 

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/shep-rose-new-show-relationshep-premieres

I join you all on the UGH. As if this walking STD needs any more help in getting laid wherever. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 2

So he will be traveling City to City? Gotta  I wonder how his Patented brand of Sexism/fratty bro/gingham and truckerhat schtick will be recieved outside of the Time Warp of the Holy City.

I like Shep, he's a funny bastard, but is it wrong for me to partially wish he gets his heart stomped on?

• Love 4

Also, what's the point of that? He seems pretty settled in Charleston. So meeting someone in another city means either long distance or asking her to move to Charleston. Not that this matters because we all know Shep isn't a one-woman guy.

• Love 1

Seeing the title of the last episode was "Shepwrecked" and he was dressed like Thurston Howell, III, at his birthday event on board, I started thinking that maybe he should set his dating show on a tiny island in the Bahamas where he's been "stranded" with 10 potential life mates. They could all work together to build shelter, gather coconuts and prepare meals over a fire, and figure out how to brew alcoholic beverages from palm fronds and the packs of sugar Shep finds in the pockets of his pants.

• Love 2

Well it's more work for him.

A lot of viewers chide him for not working, not having drive.

He had enough drive to get his own show!

I'll give it a chance, see how he is without the SC cast.  I would more likely watch this spinoff than SC Savannah or the spinoffs with the MDL NY guys.

• Love 1

There is so much more left to this season. We know by what we see on social media what is happening now. The dolphin has traded in the Atlantic for the Pacific. Cameran is having a baby. Kathryn messes up again (and again?). TRav is trading in his manse for more friendly family digs (wonder if he's going to rent it the place he filmed in) Craig gets his bar results tomorrow and if they aren't what he hoped he will be relegated to drowning his sorrows on a bar.  Shep Is going on the road looking for more bedpost notches. Whitney will still be trying to cultivate his image as a Kool Kat. Patricia...well maybe a second martini will be enough for her (plus her couture line featuring personalized pet muumuus). I can't help but watch this train wreck, but will it be worth it in the end?  

Happy viewing folks. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Got a letter wrong and it changed the word I wanted to use
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

There is so much more left to this season. We know by what we see on social media what is happening now. The dolphin has traded in the Atlantic for the Pacific. Cameran is having a baby. Kathryn messes up again (and again?). TRav is trading in his manse for more friendly family digs (wonder if he's going to rent it the place he filmed in) Craig gets his bar results tomorrow and if they aren't what he hoped he will be relegated to drowning his sorrows on a bar.  Shep Is going on the road looking for move bedpost notches. Whitney will still be trying to cultivate his image as a Kool Kat. Patricia...well maybe a second martini will be enough for her (plus her couture line featuring personalized pet muumuus). I can't help but watch this train wreck, but will it be worth it in the end?  

Happy viewing folks. 

Perfect summation!!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, halkatla said:

Craig is so kind. He´s the only one I truly like at this point (apart from the babies).

During the first or second reunion, Whitney tried to imply that Craig was gay because Craig engaged with his gay fans on Twitter and Facebook and would sometimes do appearances in gay clubs. All of the guys laughed along with Whitney at the dig. I just thought they were so obnoxious. Craig's response was that they were fans of the show and gay. What's the problem? I liked when he was on WWHL with Ellie Kemper that he binged Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and tweeted the entire time to get his fans to watch the show. Yeah, he's been a lazy procrastinator about the bar and his legal career, but I feel like he's fundamentally a decent person.

• Love 15
19 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I will not be watching this. I know SC and HoWives are trash TV, but this is even below the low bar set by those shows. Plus, I really quite dislike Shep. I don't think he's likeable enough to center a show around, especially when it comes to watching him set up one night stands and then kicking them out the next morning for their "walk of shame".

• Love 5
On 4/21/2017 at 9:07 AM, Babyfoot said:

Screenshot of Trav gunning for Craig on Instagram. 

IMG_1538.PNG

Doesn't it seem like TRav is implying that Craig either got Kathryn on drugs, or at least participated with her in the drug-doing?  

Didn't we all think Craig was strung out during the 2nd season?  I remember some heavy implications on the show.  And - he was super skinny then.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, heatherchandler said:

Doesn't it seem like TRav is implying that Craig either got Kathryn on drugs, or at least participated with her in the drug-doing?  

Didn't we all think Craig was strung out during the 2nd season?  I remember some heavy implications on the show.  And - he was super skinny then.

Thomas is a blowhard. I take anything he posts on social media (or says on the show) with the requisite amount of salt - usually a desiccation-inducing amount of salt.

• Love 6