Type keyword(s) to search

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the MCU

• Start Topic

Yup. Also interesting is the fact that Skye, along with other AoS characters, has made appearances in the comics as a completely separate character from Daisy Johnson. From what I understand, while Jed and Maurissa always hoped that Skye would really be Daisy since they're big fans of the character, they didn't receive permission from Marvel to make that happen until after the series had already begun.

Skye has not been in the run of Agents Of SHIELD so far ( currently on #4)  but is apparently turning up as Daisy in #7 ,

1version of Daisy was last seen of teaming up with Bucky .but its all changing anyway as all the Universes are getting blown up including 616

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/05/06/the-marvel-universe-has-come-to-an-end

Skye could always lose her powers somehow, either voluntarily (she sees the Inhumans in a bad light and decides her powers are more dangerous than good) or involuntarily (the Inhumans find some way to strip her of her powers, because she sides with SHIELD or because they find out Jiyang lied to them about Skye being her daughter).  

Although that does seem to contradict EVERYTHING they've said about the powers so far.  They've gone WAY out of their way to say its irreversible.  

Death seems to be the only "fix" they recognize.

Eh, it's a comic book show. The Inhumans may have some mythical procedure that's supposed to be dangerous (hence why Jiang wouldn't have mentioned it but a betrayed Inhuman may force it on Skye) or someone at SHIELD could still come up with somthing...they haven't been working on it that long. Hydra has been more willing to experiment and may have been on to something too.

Question for the MCU! Anybody think the Kree Kill Switch is another dimensional door like The Tesseract? I can't imagine that the big rock (can't decide if it looks more like a climbing wall or a fancy Stonehenge bit)

just sucked Jemma up and pulverized her. Certainly it's shipped her somewhere, somewhen, some other dimension- else? 

(edited)

Question for the MCU! Anybody think the Kree Kill Switch is another dimensional door like The Tesseract? I can't imagine that the big rock (can't decide if it looks more like a climbing wall or a fancy Stonehenge bit)

just sucked Jemma up and pulverized her. Certainly it's shipped her somewhere, somewhen, some other dimension- else? 

I mentioned in the season finale thread that my first thought was the Darkforce dimension, which has been introduced to the MCU already. Maybe this is a hint as to Attilan and the royal family's current whereabouts.

Edited by kennyab
  • Love 1

Eh, it's a comic book show. The Inhumans may have some mythical procedure that's supposed to be dangerous (hence why Jiang wouldn't have mentioned it but a betrayed Inhuman may force it on Skye) or someone at SHIELD could still come up with somthing...they haven't been working on it that long. Hydra has been more willing to experiment and may have been on to something too.

Scarlet Witch was able to de power most of the world's mutants in the comic books. Since the Inhumans are clearly being set up as the MCU's replacement for X-men, they might be able to use her in this capacity and reshape the House of M storyline from the comics around the Inhumans. If doing so wouldn't somehow violate their rights agreement with Fox obviously. AoU barely touched on what kind of powers Scarlet Witch has and what her limits are, so anything could be possible.

I mentioned in the season finale thread that my first thought was the Darkforce dimension....

Must go read of this "Darkforce dimension." I had read about Attilan when the season started and when MCU phase 4 was announced. I'll have to go back and look for Darkforce in particular this time.

Darkforce doesn't really have anything to do with the Inhumans in the comics, but it is used to teleport by a number of characters. The Kree could conceivably use it as a way of getting rid of Inhumans by just teleporting them somewhere else. Since the main Inhumans are so far MIA, perhaps they, or their ancestors, were dispatched by the Kree, and they're hanging out somewhere waiting to be found.

I don't expect them to be introduced on the show, but there's some reason Attilan doesn't seem to be on earth at the moment. I can't imagine that the royal family would just lose track of a settlement as large as Afterlife, and they'd seem to weigh in at some point on the SHIELD conflict if they are aware of it. So it would seem that they've either removed themselves or they've been banished, and perhaps this device provides a clue as to how it was done.

• Love 1

I don't expect them to be introduced on the show, but there's some reason Attilan doesn't seem to be on earth at the moment. I can't imagine that the royal family would just lose track of a settlement as large as Afterlife, and they'd seem to weigh in at some point on the SHIELD conflict if they are aware of it. So it would seem that they've either removed themselves or they've been banished, and perhaps this device provides a clue as to how it was done.

Afterlife might not have existed at the time Attilan and the Royal family relocated themselves off Earth, if that's indeed what happened to them. There's no telling how long ago that would have happened, so it's possible that a community could have been founded and expanded in their absence. Maybe Afterlife was founded by exiled Inhumans or ones that willingly defected and left Attilan, and everyone there is a descendent of someone either exiled or were for some other reason we're left behind . That might explain why the elders in Afterlife were so willing to sacrifice themselves to keep Jiaying alive for so long. If they were the last community of Inhumans left on Earth, preserving the culture and traditions of their kind would be that much more important. It might also explain why they had to melt down dividers to create a sustainable cache of terrigen crystals, because bring out of contact with Attilan left them with whatever limited resources they had when they were cut off from the rest of the Inhuman population.

• Love 1

Afterlife is most definitely a recent development. I believe Jiaying stated that she established it after Whitehall dissected her, which would put it after Skye's birth. I'm just saying that if the Royal Family was around on earth, I'm pretty sure they'd be aware of it and would keep an eye on its goings-on, intervening in something like them declaring war on humanity. So I think it's correct to guess, as xqueenfrostine suggests, that there's a good chance that Attilan's been gone for a while.

I'm just throwing out the possibility that if the Kree object is indeed some kind of teleportation device, then maybe it has something to do with why Attilan's not currently around. It was discovered about a hundred years ago, meaning that any potential use by the Kree would have occurred before that, perhaps hundreds of years ago. From the outside it would appear to just destroy whomever it consumed, hence the legend amongst the current Inhumans of it being a great weapon. So instead of Attilan removing itself, perhaps the ancestors of Black Bolt and Co. were taken elsewhere, and their society developed in a totally different way from the ones who remained on earth.

• Love 1

I mentioned in the season finale thread that my first thought was the Darkforce dimension, which has been introduced to the MCU already. Maybe this is a hint as to Attilan and the royal family's current whereabouts.

Given SHIELD's already messed around with Darkforce (that's were Blackout got his powers in 1x18), wouldn't they know more about the weird monolith thing?

(edited)

Given SHIELD's already messed around with Darkforce (that's were Blackout got his powers in 1x18), wouldn't they know more about the weird monolith thing?

Not necessarily. In the comics, Darkforce has always been a bit nebulous and presented in different ways (i.e., Cloak, a hero who is bound to the dimension and uses it to teleport, has different powers than Blackout). And there were what, maybe three years between their discovery of Blackout and and the fall of SHIELD? As big a bureaucracy as SHIELD was, there's no reason to believe that any type of connection would have necessarily been made during that time.

Edited by kennyab
(edited)

Afterlife is most definitely a recent development. I believe Jiaying stated that she established it after Whitehall dissected her, which would put it after Skye's birth. 

We saw her just after Gordon's transformation, so it's possible she established Afterlife before Skye's birth. Also, before Cal stitched her back together the elders sacrificed themselves for her succubus powers, that must have happened well before Skye's birth as well.

Edited by Boundary

We saw her just after Gordon's transformation, so it's possible she established Afterlife before Skye's birth. Also, before Cal stitched her back together the elders sacrificed themselves for her succubus powers, that must have happened well before Skye's birth as well.

It could be that there was some sort of Inhuman community pre-Whitehall, but that it was relocated to its current isolated location by Jiaying in the late 80s. We already know Jiaying has been shepherding new arrivals for generations, so that assumes that there has been a community to do that from for quite some time.

• Love 1

One random bit of speculation that's just come out of thinking maybe too hard about this stuff: what if the show introduces the Time Gem? The Soul Gem is probably going to be in the Dr. Strange film, but I'm not seeing any convenient place to put the one other remaining gem to be revealed before the Infinity War arrives. Of course, this would run into the same issues mentioned above with way more people watching the movies than the show, but everything coming out about these two films indicates they're going to be entirely for the die hard MCU fans Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back style, so why not go all out?

Either that or its some sorta carbonite-y chrysallis that's transforming Jemma into something the Kree designed to destroy the Inhumans over the summer and Jemma's going emerge as the very thing she mistrusts and wants indexed... a powered person.

The Vision's first action was to seal him off from the internet so he couldn't escape that way.  Not that there'd be much wireless connectivity left in Sokovia by the time he was done with it.

I assumed that Ultron created his own super-high-tech wireless network for sharing his consciousness between robot bodies, and that's what the Vision burned out. It was a plot point that Jarvis couldn't handle the amount of downloading required to make a copy of the nascent consciousness that became Ultron, hence having a limited window of time to work with the scepter on-site. If Jarvis lacked the bandwidth and storage space in the middle of Tony Stark's laboratory/holodeck playroom, I'm pretty sure whatever an Eastern European banana republic uses in place of Time Warner broadband would be insufficient for Ultron to instantaneously upload himself to the World Wide Web.

I'm trying to put together the operating model going forward.  They can't have events in the TV show affect events in the movies, because that makes the show a prerequisite for the movie audience.  But it looks like the show is turning into a minor league version of the Avengers, and their adventures seem to be the kind of thing that the major league Avengers would notice.  So how's that gonna work?

I'm trying to put together the operating model going forward. They can't have events in the TV show affect events in the movies, because that makes the show a prerequisite for the movie audience. But it looks like the show is turning into a minor league version of the Avengers, and their adventures seem to be the kind of thing that the major league Avengers would notice. So how's that gonna work?

Presumably after the contaminated fish oil supplements go on the market there will be an explosion in the number of unknowingly Inhumans. Most like Skye with no concept of what happened to them. Among the many the few SHIELD agents with enhancements will try to control the outbreaks.

in real world terms the Avengers would be like Patton's Third Army fighting across Europe with headlines and news coverage while the secret team will be like Alamo Scouts behind Japanese lines on some Pacific island unknown to those fighting in the main effort against Germany.

Presumably after the contaminated fish oil supplements go on the market there will be an explosion in the number of unknowingly Inhumans. Most like Skye with no concept of what happened to them. Among the many the few SHIELD agents with enhancements will try to control the outbreaks.

But won't there be a lot of deaths as well -- as someone has to have the Kree genes in order to change into an Inhuman.  I would think that the trail of dead people would be noticeable.

They seem to be reserving the movies for stars while the lesser known actors in SHIELD toil on the TV show.

If the show ever became a big ratings hit, then they'll probably be interested in moving some of the actors and the characters they portray onto the movies.

As well as probably get cameo appearances from the stars in the movie.

IOW, how the show relates to the movies (and vice versa) is driven more by the economics of the movie and TV businesses than by the storytelling.

But won't there be a lot of deaths as well -- as someone has to have the Kree genes in order to change into an Inhuman.  I would think that the trail of dead people would be noticeable.

As Jaiying explained it trace diviner metal in the crystals would cause the deaths, not the gaseous mist itself. Presumably the heavy metals were diluted before the liquefied crystal got to the fish livers. So perhaps it will just affect unknowing Inhumans who take fish oil supplements.

In any case the Avengers and the world would notice something was up, under the great number "weird wall" to take a Smallville phrase happenins the secret warrior SHIELD team could possibly hide among the noise of those causing trouble during and after their transformations

IOW, how the show relates to the movies (and vice versa) is driven more by the economics of the movie and TV businesses than by the storytelling.

Kinda my point.  As a viewer, I don't care about the economics; I care about the storytelling.  You now have two teams doing similar work in the same field, but they're not supposed to interact in any significant way.  If they got together and agreed on some kind of territorial (Atlantic/Pacific) division, it could work, but the show is doing the "we're a SECRET team" thing.  Of course, secrets exist to be revealed and the rise of Inhumans could require them to show their hand to the Avengers, but then we're back to the "people with powers can't be trusted to behave, unless they're Skye (and now maybe some others)" thing.

I would imagine that starting next season you will have a mix of newly activated Inhumans thinking that with great power comes a great opportunity, to take other people's stuff. Many more thinking I too can be an action figure star like the Avengers, And then those who don't want their loved ones and homes attacked like "The Mandarin" attacked Tony Stark's home become the secret types either for SHIELD or their own local vigilante groups.. While they won't be any of the TV characters among the main figures in Captain America The Civil War just their existence will be in the background as it was by X-Men 3. As long as Marvel doesn't make the mistake of lining them up to make an unarmed banzai charge against plastic gun armed soldiers I think the mega MCU should be able to absorb the new world order and get it right where Brett Ratner failed.

If they can do a good job on television, I'm completely fine with that decision. And thinking about it, I think being able to tell the story over many episodes gives the creators a chance to do a really good job. It might even work better than as a movie.

Word. I'm excited about where the show is taking the Inhumans storyline, and the idea of them being able to do that without being bound by the restrictions of a script for a 2019 movie is only a good thing as far as I'm concerned. While the Winter Solider-related developments were the turning point of season 1, the tie-ins in season 2 were inconsequential and just felt like fanservice. The TV universe and movie universe feel like they've diverged enough to each stand on their own, with a few inside references but no significant plot points crossing over; an Inhumans movie would require significant TV show tie-ins, so if they've scrapped that plan, all the better.

Word. I'm excited about where the show is taking the Inhumans storyline, and the idea of them being able to do that without being bound by the restrictions of a script for a 2019 movie is only a good thing as far as I'm concerned. While the Winter Solider-related developments were the turning point of season 1, the tie-ins in season 2 were inconsequential and just felt like fanservice. The TV universe and movie universe feel like they've diverged enough to each stand on their own, with a few inside references but no significant plot points crossing over; an Inhumans movie would require significant TV show tie-ins, so if they've scrapped that plan, all the better.

The tie into The Age Of Ultron should have been great, the story of "we found it (Loki's scepter) Maria Hill, assemble the Avengers" was a nice slow strike right down the center of the plate. But then the movie's story watched a strike three go past as Whedon gave us a story that the Avengers have been together running missions against Hydra since the fall of SHIELD which almost directly contradicted what was going on during the Agents of SHIELD second season with the Hydra brain trust killing each other culminated by Hunter taking out "Hunter",Octavian Bloom leaving Dr List.

Is this the catch all MCU thread?

In  any case now there are now rumors that the Netflix Iron Fist may be delayed because of concerns that the White guy Danny Rand will be pushed forward in the martial arts master role. Meanwhile months after its worldwide release Ant-Man still pulled big money out of China. So the thought is in a global move Shang Chi the Master of Kung Fu might get a slot somewhere with Iron Fist being a side kick/partner supporting character without his stand alone show.

SHIELD's existence was definitely common knowledge in Winter Soldier, but at least as far back as the first Iron Man movie its existence seems to have been somewhat clandestine.  Pepper appeared to be unfamiliar with the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division (remember how it was a running joke between Coulson and Pepper that his organization needed a name that was easier to remember?)  when Coulson approached her, and in Thor Jane and Darcy had no idea who was confiscating their research.  Dr. Selvig had only heard about them through a story from a colleague who had also had his research confiscated, which suggests that the organization was still pretty hush hush at the time.    

Presumably it was only after the Battle for New York that SHIELD became a household name, and the Battle for New York definitely happened after Will became stranded on the blue planet.    

I don't think anyone knows where the MCU will eventually place SHIELD's public reveal at this point. In the  Ironman films you do have the SHIELD agents identifying themselves to people, who could feasibly spill the secret but then have to explain who they were like DiNozzo on the first year of NCIS. That giant headquarters building towering over The Pentagon and most US governmental buildings and President Ellis's speach  does suggest it was public knowledge before and the  emergence of Hydra from the shadows the Battle of New York. My guess would be after the Hulk emerged SHIELD came out since the US Military failed like the ATCU has emerged with the knowledge of aliens and an increase of publicly known enhanced people.

• Love 1

That Peggy Carter short from a while back seemed to indicate SHIELD has been around in some form for a long time but I don't know how canon it is. Iron Man indicated that while the organization may have been around a while the anagram name was a recent development. I get the feeling that the general public didn't know about the existence of SHIELD until after Winter Soldier. Those in authority, like law enforcement and the government, had probably been hearing whispers of a secret organization by that name for years, but most of them weren't sure it really existed and even the ones who were didn't know the full extent of what SHIELD was dealing with until New York.

Edited by KirkB

The first Captain America Civil War trailer is out with the Falcon showing up with a more colorful comics inspired suit. I can see the tie in working with the Avengers going more colorful and Daisy's rumored team doing their super stunts undercover or in regular tactical gear.

• Love 1

Maybe Coulson will remain neutral during the war and AoS will just clean up like after Thor: Dark World

I don't even know that it will get to Coulson and company. (Although Gideon may have a hand in that legislation.) The events of the movie seem very rapid, unlike the comics arc—rather than a drawn out, seeing-it-coming philosophical question, it looks more like Cap finds Bucky, govt guys want to take Bucky in, govt send Avengers after Cap/Falcon/Bucky because they are "rogue."

No one from the tv verse is ever going to show up in the movies. Even more so now that they've been split up. The mentions to the movies have been slim to none and it'll probably stay that way. They'll keep it where the movies will deal with the global catastrophes and the tv series will deal with the smaller scale ones and never cross paths. 

No one from the tv verse is ever going to show up in the movies. Even more so now that they've been split up. The mentions to the movies have been slim to none and it'll probably stay that way. They'll keep it where the movies will deal with the global catastrophes and the tv series will deal with the smaller scale ones and never cross paths. 

The characters beyond the minor swing ones like Maria HilI will not show up anymore but I disagree about referencing  the Agents shows will make references to the movies, depending upon when in the production schedules they get notice of what is happening. So you have a perfect coming out of The Winter Soldier resolution on Agents Of SHIELD and from the TV side a perfect set up for The Age of Ultron. Now the movie directors will still go their own way with some Marvel input and the ABC and Netflix TV guys will work around what the movie directors put out.

The split just happened. They can make slight references, the Netflix shows weren't even allowed to say the names of the Avengers. The characters will be aware of the Avengers and what they are doing but that is it. And we won't hear the movies make any references to what's going on with the tv shows. If Civil War destroys New York, the fact that New York was destroyed is the mention we'll get. With maybe the Index getting more play with people being afraid of powered people, which has always been part of both the movies and the tv shows. 

They are in the same universe but separate entities.I don't know even know if the Netflix and ABC shows will reference each other, so far they haven't. The only thing they've done is make tiny connections like Daisy and Matt Murdock being at the same orphanage. Until Daisy mentions a blind kid she met there, we have no indication they've met. 

Edited by Sakura12

The only thing they've done is make tiny connections like Daisy and Matt Murdock being at the same orphanage. Until Daisy mentions a blind kid she met there, we have no indication they've met. 

Daisy and Murdock likely have an age difference of approx 8-10 years so any significant interaction between them is unlikely.

They are in the same universe but separate entities.I don't know even know if the Netflix and ABC shows will reference each other, so far they haven't. The only thing they've done is make tiny connections like Daisy and Matt Murdock being at the same orphanage. Until Daisy mentions a blind kid she met there, we have no indication they've met. 

At some point, now that Coulson spilled the beans to the US government through the ATCU, the concept of Inhumans becomes public any anything extraordinary on Netflix has a built in public explanation for the populace. SHIELD itself remains a secret vigilante organization and should only be a historical footnote in Hell's Kitchen. As a linking series Agents could mention anything and work in the shadows as a this was also going on side show. Like it has from the start with Hydra adapting the technology from Ironman III.