Type keyword(s) to search

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the MCU

• Start Topic

If I remember right the mention of this is what SHIELD really does as the helicarrier started the evacuation could be seen as a nod to the TV fans

I can see that. It's also a nod to CA:TWS and the SHIELD/Hydra fallout. Von Struker was nominally a SHIELD scientist, before, but was obviously into studying alien artifacts for Hydra's evil ends. Now that Pietro was realizing that his anti-Stark bias was leading him down some decidedly worse paths, it was good for him to see that SHIELD had built resources specifically for rescuing people, not something the Hydra types ever did.

As far as the Leviathan, at the time of the Chitauri invasion, Von Struker could easily have been given it as his SHIELD work project. After SHIELD fell, Coulson was stretched veeeery thin. Plenty of time for Von Struker to move his toys to a Hydra facility that's off SHIELD's books. Or, as anna0852 says, it got retrieved in the Sandbox or similar raid.

(edited)

kennyab You definitely weren't the only one who had some issues with how Natasha was handled.

Personally, I thought that she was completely missing the point there. I don't think Bruce is worried they might not be able to have kids (not that enforced sterilization isn't a horrific - but believable - act) but of setting up a "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex"* situation. I guess it's possible that she was simply talking around an issue rather than addressing it directly, but it struck me as a "dialogue of the deaf" where neither addresses the other's concerns.

OTOH, I did think the whole Natasha/Bruce romance rather came out of nowhere, since it seemed that in Avengers 1 she was paired up with Hawkeye (when he wasn't brainwashed!) and CA:TWS hinted at a romance with Cap. Though it does seem a massive double standard to call her a slut for having romantic entanglements with two characters over three(?) years as opposed to Tony Stark who by his own admission (IM 1) slept with every Sport Illustrated covergirl (well, 12 out of 13) in 2010 (or whatever year it was).

* If you haven't come across it, its a Larry Nivern article explaining why Superman and Lois Lane probably can't have sex and definitely couldn't have a child (despite what was shown in Superman Returns)

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1

I was mostly disappointed with Age of Ultron because so much of it was repeated from the first Avengers movie.

• Avengers get their asses handed to them first and/or second time they battle a new enemy
  • Hulk goes on an unfocused rampage and fights with other members of the Avengers
  • Several Avengers are depressed and dealing with personal issues regarding how their decisions affect others on the team, and forces them to be all deep and contemplative.
  • Big battle scene where the large numbers of the enemy are picked off one by one by the handful of Avengers
  • Token scene of Avengers saving civilians during big battle scene
  • One big major threat averted at the last minute.

I also thought that Ultron's big plan to drop a small island out of the sky because he couldn't get access to nukes to be a rather lame Plan B.

And since Ultron had full access to the Internet, just killing off all of his robot bodies probably doesn't mean he's actually dead.  That just seemed really poorly thought out part in the script.

• Love 1
(edited)

Interesting:

OTOH, I did think the whole Natasha/Bruce romance rather came out of nowhere, since it seemed that in Avengers 1 she was paired up with Hawkeye (when he wasn't brainwashed!) and CA:TWS hinted at a romance with Cap.

I thought Cap addressed Romanov's flirtatiousness with Bruce during Tony's party. His comment about having seen Natasha flirt up close and what she and Bruce are doing isn't that, to me, said clearly that Natasha had not been in a romantic relationship with Steve- and considering the state of Clint's family and how close Clint's wife is with Natasha- she hadn't been entangled with Hawkeye either, at least not in a very long time.

I'm glad it was explained this way. Putting Natasha's professional/ spy use of sexuality to manipulate aside, it was awesome to see that a woman can act like a woman- be a flirt- and be friends with the menfolk and there be no ill will or misunderstanding of the roles nor any animosity for keeping the relationships in the friend zone.

I was mostly disappointed with Age of Ultron because so much of it was repeated from the first Avengers movie.

Agreed. In the third act, each and every Ultron robot minion could have been replaced with a Chitauri with no remarkable difference to the plot.

Edited by Tarasme
  • Love 2
(edited)

I do agree the Natasha/Bruce pairing came out of nowhere. However I think people just thought or wanted to think Nat was in a relationship with Hawkeye and Cap when neither of them were canon. She was close friends with Clint and this movie showed how close with his kids calling her Aunt Nat. She also learned to trust Steve but never seemed interested in dating him, she spent that movie trying to hook him up with other women. She probably feels bad that he's a 90 year old virgin. 

They also showed that she has no idea who Peggy Carter is or what she meant to Steve. I didn't get any relationship vibes between Nat and Clint or Nat and Steve. Now the only man she's shown interest in his Bruce. While it makes sense she'd be drawn to the man with the monster inside him because she feels like that as well. I'm just wondering why they are going with the comics with Nat and Bucky. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2
since Ultron had full access to the Internet

The Vision's first action was to seal him off from the internet so he couldn't escape that way.  Not that there'd be much wireless connectivity left in Sokovia by the time he was done with it.

I realized today (second viewing) that SHIELD/Avengers are really bad at managing evil stuff.  They lose track of the scepter, they misplace a Chitauri carrier, and three days after they bust the Hydra stronghold, all those robot prototypes are still sitting in the basement waiting for Ultron to inhabit them.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just got back from my second showing and I do have to say I loved. 

There is one thing I would have loved to see though: Team Coulson in the background on the helicarrier. Not Coulson himself, I get that Joss said he has to stay dead but the rest of them. Mack and Fitz and Simmons at various control stations with Bobbi, Hunter, Skye and May on the lifeboats as some of the guards we saw. You have to figure Fury called an 'all hands on deck' to get that helicarrier flying in time. I know it's a pipe dream but would have been awesome to see.

Also, I'd really like to get Natasha in a room with May, Maria, Bobbi and Skye (maybe Lady Sif as well) and give them a common enemy to beat down. 

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 1

I'd love to see Natasha and May spar. Or even a fully knock down, drag out fight before some deluded fool shows up and gets both of them after him.

There is much debate over the use of women in MCU I'll be damned if most of the best written characters in the MCU aren't women. Watching Black Widow, May, Skye, Maria, Bobbie with a little Simmons thrown in having a fight scene all to themselves would make my life. Quite simply, outside of Cap, they are the best fighters in the MCU.

• Love 2
(edited)

There is much debate over the use of women in MCU I'll be damned if most of the best written characters in the MCU aren't women. Watching Black Widow, May, Skye, Maria, Bobbie with a little Simmons thrown in having a fight scene all to themselves would make my life. Quite simply, outside of Cap, they are the best fighters in the MCU.

I guess Ward comes close besides him all of the men are enhanced. After watching Hawkeye's blind shots at Chituri in The Avengers I prefer to think of him as enhanced in someway. At this point Skye can just point and say go away in her mind to any foe.

Edited by Raja

I think a Bobbie/Black Widow sparring match would be glorious but I fear they're too similar to be in the same movie. The interaction I'd like to see is Simmons geeking out with Bruce Banner, she'd be totally (temporarily) unprofessional and he'd be shy at all the attention before both of them ignore the awkwardness and focus on the science at hand. 

• Love 1

Well, as of right now and probably the first five minutes of tomorrow's episode, Coulson's a prisoner of a splinter group claiming to be in charge of SHIELD (and I don't think Nick Fury will agree with them). So it makes sense for him not to show up in the movie, since he's busy with his own thing. I expect a sanctimonious speech along the lines of "Why are we bickering over formalities when the real enemy is out there? You know, the robots!"

I think Joss Whedon is viewing his franchise (the Avengers franchise) as a series of two movies: Avengers 1 and Avengers: Age of Ultron. Viewed together, it wouldn't make sense for Coulson to show up with no explanation. He could probably get away with showing up in the next Thor movie, maybe the next Captain America, and perhaps even the next Avengers films (since those will be more of a culmination of the entire MCU and not just a part of a trilogy/quadrilogy).

I've really been wanting Coulson to publicly announce himself at some point, so that his next appearance could have the implied understanding that everyone knows he's alive. If they could afford it, they could have one of the A-listers film a credits scene for the show reacting to the news, but otherwise years have passed since his death (2012), so by the next time we seem him with an Avenger, it should be water under the bridge.

I think their solution to this whole mess was Maria Hill.

They had Maria show back up in AoS precisely so she could be the obvious bridge between the movies and TV without ever having to involve Coulson again on the movie end.  

Thinking about it, I like Maria Hill better than May or Black Widow. She gets the job done, she can be a little snarky, and she has her team's back. She's awesome and there's no clamor for more about her. I'd love for her and Bobbie to have a show together.

I wish Cobie Smoulders would come back to TV. Coulson needs a boss and she is able to be his boss. If she just wants to a few live appearances and the rest via Skype I'm fine with that. Coulson should just be taking his orders from her, so someone can keep his Skye obsession in check. 

• Love 2

I wish Cobie Smoulders would come back to TV. Coulson needs a boss and she is able to be his boss. If she just wants to a few live appearances and the rest via Skype I'm fine with that. Coulson should just be taking his orders from her, so someone can keep his Skye obsession in check. 

Like Col. Redhead from Chuck. I don't see her doing full-time in LA since Taran's basically the male lead on SNL right. With two kids, I doubt they want to go back to a bi-coatal situation.

(edited)

I wasn't impressed with the last episode's attempt at integration with AoU. Last week's set up was fine and worked well enough - Coulson found intel about HYDRA, gave it to Maria Hill and the Avengers used it to raid HYDRA's Sokovia's facility. This week however, there's a strenuous connection attempted. I didn't mind connecting the Theta  Protocol to the movie's big sequence but it still raised questions that have already been discussed. What I found funny was the attempt at making us believe that Gonzalez & Co. had inside infor from within the Avengers camp about how Ultron was created and how Stark was at fault and how this shouldn't be allowed to happen again. I get how Maria Hill could've been a source of that tidbit but in my mind, none of those people in that room, the council, could outrank Maria Hill much less tell Fury, Iron Man and Cap what to do. 

I love the show and the way it's being treated like an ugly sibling invokes sympathy in me. But it does itself no favours by pretending it calls the shots, in-universe I mean. So it feels less believable to have Coulson, with his council oversight, pretending that they authority to make far reaching decisions. Fury calls the shots because on one hand he can tell Maria to fetch a helicarrier (who then calls Coulson for the keys) and on the other show up at the Barton farm, where the Avengers have decamped to and tell them to get their shit together. What the MCU needs is to find a replacement of the World Council, to give Fury a boss, and I suspect the Cap 3 movie will try to deal with this. They also need to clarify how Coulson's team (and others like it, there must be more right?) relate to the Avengers Academy. Coulson's council is just a management issue, when big decisions need to be taken Maria Hill and Fury will make the calls.

In short, I'd like the show to acknowledge its limitations. Agent Carter seems to know its place in the universe and the movies readily interact with it. Daredevil survives by being less beholden to the movies and if the success of the Netflix shows continue, then the movies will be forced to concede a little space - but it's not a requirement. Agents of SHIELD needs a direct line to the movies, that's how it was set up and it's the main selling point. Lady Sif's cameos help (I'd hope she gets to talk to Thor about Coulson in the upcoming movie), Maria Hill and Fury' cameos do help but Coulson needs to show up in a meaningful way in those movies. Maybe Skye gets invited to look around the Avengers Academy, with a Scarlet Witch cameo of course. If SHIELD is back from the shadows, then anytime SHIELD shows up in the movies then it should utilise faces from the show (May or Bobbie, anyone?). Anything that feels like the movies treat the show with pride. 

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 1

I don't think the show needs to justify its existence in any way other than being entertaining. And while I enjoyed Age of Ultron, I find Agents of SHIELD to be much more entertaining right now. The ties to Age of Ultron are easter eggs for those who watch both. We know who Fury was talking about at Chez Barton when he said he had a network feeding him information (as well as getting a Helicarrier up and running). And it's affected AoS by the Gonzales, May, et al casting a vote of no confidence towards Phil because he spread himself too thin secretly working for Fury.

I find those little bits to be fun, but the story of first contact with the Inhumans is meaty enough that the show stands on its own. It's basically the X-Files of the MCU, exploring the alien mythos more deeply than any movie could. Connecting up plot-wise to movies every now and then is fine, but that's not why I watch.

And the comics have operated this way for years. I can just see the Avengers storming Strucker's base on the printed page. Captain America has a speech bubble: "Avengers, it seems that the intel Maria received about Strucker's operations was right on target! *" with the footnote, "* Hey true believers, for the whole story on Agent Hill's mysterious source, check out the pulse-pounding Agents of SHIELD #220, on stands now!"

This show is doing its own thing. It'll tie into the other MCU products when appropriate (I mean, they totally skipped Guardians of the Galaxy because it wouldn't make any sense). But those are just nods to the completists. I think it's time for people to shake the notion that it should be driving any movies. It's just telling its own stories in its little corner of the MCU, and I'm very happy with that.

• Love 6

I'm also happy to get the little Easter Eggs. I'm enjoying SHIELD because after the movie I can see part of the aftermath and the beginnings of something else (Civil War and the Inhumans movie), it doesn't just end when the movie does. 

I loved the Easter Eggs in Daredevil, seeing the Avengers tower in the background was a cool visual, knowing that Matt and Skye were at the same orphanage was cool. But I don't need to see Matt show up on SHIELD or in the movies. Like AoS I just like knowing they are connected. It's not like the Avengers really need their help, they are powerful people on their own. I'm fine with, this person gave that person some Intel to help. 

• Love 1
(edited)

This show is doing its own thing. It'll tie into the other MCU products when appropriate (I mean, they totally skipped Guardians of the Galaxy because it wouldn't make any sense). But those are just nods to the completists. I think it's time for people to shake the notion that it should be driving any movies. It's just telling its own stories in its little corner of the MCU, and I'm very happy with that.

Personally I'd like to see a better integration between the movies and AoS. Easter eggs aren't enough for me, at least for this show. The way it's going, when the Inhumans movie comes there will hardly be anything more than a nod to this show, when we know the intimate connection that already exists. That's the gist of my point. SHIELD is an all encompassing organisation on the MCU earth, so either the show and movies embrace that nature or the tv show takes a small corner of that organisation and simply focuses on it. So if the show had stayed with Coulson's rag tag team as SHIELD collapsed around them, it'd be cool but to make Coulson a freaking director of the whole thing, with enough funds to syphon a chunk for a side project of that size, but without treating him the way movies treat Fury ... It just feels like the show is caught between two stools, in  my opinion. Easily remedied too (make Maria Hill the de facto director until Fury comes back and she gives Coulson support when he needs it and he reports to her. She can still work for Stark but did she really work for him anyway?). So my complaints aren't too major.

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 2

From everything I've heard, you can mainly put the lack of further Ultron integration at Joss Whedon's door. He was a great choice for the first Avengers film, but it seems they should have cut ties then and there because he proceeded to treat Ultron entirely as his own project, seeing every request from Feige and the other Marvel people as a burden and openly stating he doesn't accept Agents of SHIELD as part of the MCU's continuity and Coulson is still dead to him. Basically, he's great with his own stuff but really doesn't play well with others, and I'm very glad the Infinity Gauntlet films have been handed to the Winter Soldier guys instead.

• Love 2

I think people have grossly exaggerated Whedon's antipathy to the show's position in the MCU. I mean, he created it and meant to be more actively involved, but Age of Ultron kept taking more of his time.

He never said that he didn't accept the TV show as canon, he just meant that it would derail the movie's narrative to go off into the side business of Coulson being alive, so he found it best not to address it in the movie. Honestly, people who don't watch the TV show probably didn't even think about Coulson while watching the movie, so why bother bringing in yet another plot point and a film that already stuffed to the gills? It would have just been a distraction.

I think people have conflated his decision not to bring Coulson in and his statements about AoS initially ruffling some feathers in the movie department to mean he disavows the show. But reading his comments in context, it seems pretty clear that he was talking about the Winter Soldier's creators, who were about to dismantle SHIELD and didn't want the show to mess with their plans. So they had the problematic first season where they couldn't really do anything until the movie came out, and then the show took over being the primary outlet for telling SHIELD stories.

But I think his decision not to deal with Coulson's resurrection is the movie was valid. There was no time for it, it would have just been one more thing wedged in, and people would have complained about that. It's a no-win situation for him. He just has a very Whedon-y way of answering questions, and I think that through some bad headlines and article summaries, he's been pinned with some kind of maliciousness towards the show.

• Love 3

On the surface I believe the explanation that there just wasn't time to address it properly.

When thinking about it though I realized that the "breezy" style of a lot of Marvel Movie dialogue could have dealt with it easily and perfectly.

Here's the theoretical script:

Tony Stark walks on a SHIELD Helicarrier to meet Nick Fury. Standing behind Fury is Coulson.

Tony Stark: Didn't you die?
Coulson: It didn't stick.

{scene moves on}

That's it. That's all. That's how you deal with it in a movie world where fantastic things continuously happen, and where humorous quips and one liners routinely cover up a lot of meta.  Non TV show watchers will just shrug and say "it's a fantasy and at least they talked about it even if I don't understand it" and TV show watchers will see it as a properly meta Easter Egg moment.

• Love 5

I don't think Agents of SHIELD needs to be integrated more into movieverse BUT if they are going to pretend they're really closely tied with what's happening in the movies, they need to do a much better job than they're doing right now. The reason why the big tie in with Cap 2 worked so well is that we actually saw the writers tackle the crisis caused by the content of the movie in a meaningful way that spanned several episodes. Even though Coulson and his team weren't a part of the Cap 2 in the actual film, the small guest spots for Agent Sitwell, Maria Hill and Fury went a long way to make the show feel integrated into the movie universe.

But this season's tie in? Meh. If the show is going to have to to operate mostly independently from the movies, it shouldn't take credit for big things that happened in the movie without really giving us a lot of action (instead of exposition) in the show to support that. It also shouldn't use stuff that happened largely offscreen and in the movies to resolve a major plot line in the show that you've been asking your TV viewers to become invested in. That's not planting Easter eggs, that's just atrociously lazy writing. Because I just don't buy Team Gonzales seeing Coulson as the savior of Sokovia. He restored a helicarrier and (maybe?) staffed it to serve as a support vehicle for the Avengers, it's not like there's any insinuation that he and his team personally risked their lives to save civilians. And with no in-universe rational for why he was so secretive over what seem like perfectly normal SHIELD projects, I'm completely confused as to why they (or even we the audience) are supposed to believe that a helicarrier and an Avengers base is all Theta Protocol was about. Surely rebuilding the SHIELD fleet and some of their bases are things that a post-CA2 SHIELD director would be expected to do. I mean most of their big toys were confiscated when SHIELD first collapsed and the locations of their secret bases were made public by Black Widow. Making Theta Protocol a tie in for the movie just feels ridiculous. It turned something that was a huge driving point for a big season long plot (since Theta Protocol was one of the big reasons New SHIELD sent people to spy on Coulson and then plan a coup) into something that couldn't be resolved on screen in the actual show. That does Agents of SHIELD a real disservice.

• Love 2

I agree but apparently there's a plan in place. So let's hope it works out.

Probably to FINALLY have one key Avenger guest star show up (next season, early) on the TV show.  That ducks the movie issue totally but allows that "reunion" moment.

Makes me wonder which Avenger actor (someone who had to be in the first movie, so not the Twins) is cheapest.

(edited)

^ that's good to hear, I figured it was an ego thing and they didn't want to do TV. I suppose they could just be saying that to not look like assholes though. And still never plan on showing up on the show. 

As for who I would want to show up, probably Black Widow or Captain America. 

Edited by Sakura12

But this season's tie in? Meh. If the show is going to have to to operate mostly independently from the movies, it shouldn't take credit for big things that happened in the movie without really giving us a lot of action (instead of exposition) in the show to support that. It also shouldn't use stuff that happened largely offscreen and in the movies to resolve a major plot line in the show that you've been asking your TV viewers to become invested in. That's not planting Easter eggs, that's just atrociously lazy writing.

You've nailed it. Someone on the interwebs summarised it as: the movies exist in the tv show but the tv show doesn't exist in the movies. That's putting it too strongly but the main gist, that the show bent over backwards to accommodate film events, using tv news no less and an exposition fairy to tie everything up, before going "right, where were we? Ahh the Inhumans." It felt, meh indeed.

• Love 2

So now that we know what the Theta Protocol was, can anyone explain why Coulson couldn't possibly tell May about it?  I think we can assume that Fury trusts her, since he had her keeping an eye on Coulson for him.

• Love 2
(edited)

On Jimmy Kimmel, all the Avenger actors said they'd love to do the show.

Only if the $ are there.  Lets be realistic.

And the permission from TPTB.

Edited by Kromm

I've always kind of seen Tony as the one to pop up in the show.  And how with him semi-retired from the Avengers, and the position he's going to be taking with the registration in "Captain America: Civil Wars", as well as, he seems to have been the one with the longest history with Coulson, (and RDJ career being somewhat salvaged with TV), my vote goes for him.

• Love 1

Do we really think the actors would ever come out and publicly say they'd never do the show? The only reason I think the rumor about a BIG guest star for next season is legit is because it was Clark Gregg who asked the Avengers cast that question on Kimmel. He wouldn't have put them (or his show!) on the spot if there wasn't already something tentatively arranged.

So now that we know what the Theta Protocol was, can anyone explain why Coulson couldn't possibly tell May about it? I think we can assume that Fury trusts her, since he had her keeping an eye on Coulson for him.

That's the $64k question. They haven't answered that beyond "keeping secrets is part of being the director" and I'm not sure they intend to. I don't actually think there is a real reason.

I've always kind of seen Tony as the one to pop up in the show.  And how with him semi-retired from the Avengers, and the position he's going to be taking with the registration in "Captain America: Civil Wars", as well as, he seems to have been the one with the longest history with Coulson, (and RDJ career being somewhat salvaged with TV), my vote goes for him.

Another good reason to use RDJ--assuming they can back up the money truck enough (or if it's already hidden in his last contract) is that they can get around having Iron Man appear and have him simply appear as Tony Stark, businessman, tech genius, employer of many ex-SHIELD people, etc.  Avoiding the big CGI bill, but also violation of the original premise that the show wouldn't march out the Superheroes too much (although Deathlok and Quake already are, somewhat, as well as Sif).

• Love 1

I've never really expected any of the bigger stars from the movies to show up in AoS. I'd be interested in seeing the show flesh out some of the side characters. I like Maria Hill because of Agents of Shield. She was a lot of fun on the show and I hope they can convince Smulders to guest star in person next season, instead of by Skype or whatever. I loved her in The Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron too, but AoS sold me on the character.

Sif was a non-entity for me in the Thor movies, and about the eighth or ninth person I would mention if someone asked me about those films. I loved her on Shield. They should try to get Emily Van Camp for a while now that Revenge is ending. Why hasn't she been announced for Civil War? She's still in it, right?

• Love 1

Oddly enough I think RDJ might do without the money truck. I remember from first Avengers that he was pretty vocal about equal pay for the rest of the cast, including taking a pay cut for them if necessary. I think if it were written well-enough, he might appear regardless of money.  

• Love 1
(edited)

How about Cap? RDJ and ScarJo are way too high profile, Renner is too busy, Hulk and Thor would be hard to justify their return so soon. Story-wise, the show is already facing a Civil War-like split in ideology, Cap would be a shoe-in. But I doubt this can ever happen, Chris Evans is shooting Cap 3 now (it's his film, so I imagine he'll be the busiest), then they shoot both Avengers next year back-to-back. In terms of accessibility, I think Scarlet Witch would be the likeliest to show up.

My own wish list is a bit left field and not A list: Sharon Carter. Her role in CA:WS was small, if she gets to be on CA:CW then her screentime will be curtailed by the numerous cameos expected. So why not develop her arc a little bit on tv? VanCamp's other show on ABC has just been conveniently cancelled too. 

Edit: ninja'd by manbearpig

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 2

Yeah, I agree that Emily VanCamp has a role that COULD have been huge in the mythos... if the movies weren't so damn crowded.  She's going to get short shrift.

It's a shame.  She's at a critical point in her career where the next few projects she's in are going to determine if she's an A-lister or just another ex-TV star.

• Love 1

Please don't let Skye infect the movies, even for a cameo.

So much word, no one from AOS should infect the movies the cast is already overflowing, I don't need time wasted on AOS characters just keep them away from the movies.

I'd actually be okay with Skye, in full Quake mode, having not a real role, and not even a real cameo per se, but a non-speaking BACKGROUND shot, where there's some big battle going on and she's just soldiering.  That actually makes sense with her character evolution.

But not any more than that.

• Love 1
The reason why the big tie in with Cap 2 worked so well is that we actually saw the writers tackle the crisis caused by the content of the movie in a meaningful way that spanned several episodes. Even though Coulson and his team weren't a part of the Cap 2 in the actual film, the small guest spots for Agent Sitwell, Maria Hill and Fury went a long way to make the show feel integrated into the movie universe.

I liked that you saw the implication of HYDRA's infiltration of SHIELD through Coulson, a person someone who devoted his life to it and believed in it's ideals, to have it all turned out to be a lie was devastating. Even though Peggy Carter founded SHIELD, the organization itself didn't have any meaning for Cap. Black Widow was effected by it much more because she thought she was working for the good guys after being on the wrong side but still it wasn't a strong emotional attachment.

• Love 1

I'd actually be okay with Skye, in full Quake mode, having not a real role, and not even a real cameo per se, but a non-speaking BACKGROUND shot, where there's some big battle going on and she's just soldiering.  That actually makes sense with her character evolution.

But not any more than that.

Maybe, she may potentially be too powerful. I'm talking about a Thor level, to take a quick cameo shot and out, Like how War Machine was used in AoU. 

Maybe, she may potentially be too powerful. I'm talking about a Thor level, to take a quick cameo shot and out, Like how War Machine was used in AoU.

The difference for me is that I enjoyed seeing Rhodey's cameo in AoU.  If Skye showed up, even in the background, it would be disappointing.

• Love 1
(edited)

To be honest, by the time we get to Infinity War (which is meant the the crashing crescendo to the whole MCU) I'm hoping that it is so huge that all the various facets are drawn in. Even in small roles supporting the whole. Meaning the all the Avengers along with our Team Coulson, Team Thor (Selvig, Jane, Darcy, Loki, Sif and the 3), Team Iron Man (Happy, Pepper and Rhoady), Team Cap (Agent 13, Maria Hill, Falcon) and Team Guardians. I'm thinking that with Thanos presenting a major threat to entire universe a lot of contentious factions are going to stop fighting with each other and deal with him together.

Actually I'd settle for a huge group picture of all the various casts together (maybe at comic-con or something).

Edited by anna0852

I don't understand the MCU's treatment of Sharon Carter at all. Why didn't "The Winter Soldier" mention her connection to Peggy? Only the audience who knows the comics knows they are related, there was no clue to that anywhere in the film. Was a scene cut? And why hasn't Agents of SHIELD used her at all? She's on the same network and "Revenge" can't keep her that busy, she's barely even been the focus this season.

To be honest, by the time we get to Infinity War (which is meant the the crashing crescendo to the whole MCU) I'm hoping that it is so huge that all the various facets are drawn in. Even in small roles supporting the whole. Meaning the all the Avengers along with our Team Coulson, Team Thor (Selvig, Jane, Darcy, Loki, Sif and the 3), Team Iron Man (Happy, Pepper and Rhoady), Team Cap (Agent 13, Maria Hill, Falcon) and Team Guardians. I'm thinking that with Thanos presenting a major threat to entire universe a lot of contentious factions are going to stop fighting with each other and deal with him together.

Actually I'd settle for a huge group picture of all the various casts together (maybe at comic-con or something).

The entire ideal of "war" screams out TV series with the time to do it right. Limited to two hours any "war" will be limited to three fights and the all hands on deck scenes will either one picture of a SHIELD agent one of a Defender.... or be like all the minor mutants doing a banzai charge in X-Men 3

Limited to two hours any "war" will be limited to three fights and the all hands on deck scenes will either one picture of a SHIELD agent one of a Defender.... or be like all the minor mutants doing a banzai charge in X-Men 3

Except in this case Avengers: Infinity War is being broken in two movies so they will have 4-5 hours of screentime for the "war" to play out.

Except in this case Avengers: Infinity War is being broken in two movies so they will have 4-5 hours of screentime for the "war" to play out.

Which I feel strengths my argument for massive cast. That and I think it'd be cool :-)

Honestly at this point I really don't expect that anyone on the show will ever get bumped up to the movies even for a cameo.  If it didn't happen while Joss, who created the show, wrote the pilot and has his brother and sister-in-law running the ship, and oversaw Marvel Phase 2, why would we expect it to happen in any future movies?  Unless the plot of Civil War ends up calling for SHIELD to be a big player, I just don't see anyone appearing then.  And if no one appears in Civil War, I think it's even less likely we'll see anyone show up in any future movie beyond that.  Infinity War is already going to be filled to bursting with characters from 19 different movies.   I'd even be surprised if they brought anyone in for Inhumans, despite Skye's Inhuman status.  By the time Inhumans comes out, AoS will have just finished its 6th season if it hasn't been cancelled.  Who knows who will even still be with the show at that point?

• Love 1