Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: The Battles, Part 4

• Start Topic

I think some didn't notice how good he was in the battle because most of the battle was edited so that he was singing the harmony part as opposed to the melody. (It's likely that the whole song was performed when Pharrell chose as well.) It makes Noelle stick out more. 

Yes and that made him even more impressive to me since he told Pharrell in rehearsal he had never sung harmony before--yet he did it during the battle, knowing it was more difficult and gave Noelle an advantage. I think Adam was right when he told Pharrell that he might actually win with Sawyer. He's such a good singer--already doing remarkably on itunes--and has such a nice, cool vibe about him. Pretty incredible to think that he is only 15.

The DeBarge contestant said in that conference call interview that someone posted on here that she is married to the son of one of the members of the original group, and records on an independent label. I was curious to hear her, but I guess second generation nepotism if a non-lead singer only buys you limited airtime.

• Love 1

I said above that I hadn't heard anything special in Noelle's voice during her duet with Sawyer, but now that I've listened to the studio version, I love her voice and I hear plenty of "special" there. I'm rooting for Sawyer, but now I'm sad that Noelle wasn't stolen. I'd like to hear more from her.

• Love 3

I said above that I hadn't heard anything special in Noelle's voice during her duet with Sawyer, but now that I've listened to the studio version, I love her voice and I hear plenty of "special" there. I'm rooting for Sawyer, but now I'm sad that Noelle wasn't stolen. I'd like to hear more from her.

If Sawyer doesn't make it to the end, I hope Pharrell might think of pairing them for recording artists, or Blake would invite them to sing together on a tour or....

Sawyer and Noelle on the CCR song were what that male/female duo that Adam promised he was "taking to the end" two seasons ago (then dumped at their first battle) wished they were, (but they weren't even close.)  I know they won't have a chance, but I think the two of them could make a great album of duets.

• Love 1

Sawyer and Noelle on the CCR song were what that male/female duo that Adam promised he was "taking to the end" two seasons ago (then dumped at their first battle) wished they were, (but they weren't even close.)

Dawn and Hawkes?  I think they made it through their first battle, but got dumped at their second one.

Dawn and Hawkes?  I think they made it through their first battle, but got dumped at their second one.

Yes, those are the two I was thinking of.  Of course, the battle round song and general format did them no favors. I don't remember when exactly they were dumped but they never made it to lives after Adam telling them they were the greatest thing he'd ever heard on the show, he was going to win with them, yaddayadda. (I liked that we saw a bit less of his "overpromising" this season, hopefully it wasn't just that he's still doing it, but it's edited out.) 

So, yes, that's it. I thought Sawyer and Noelle were much better than Dawn and Hawkes.  I'd love to see what they'd do if they were actually working together and choosing/arranging their own songs. That was just so good. (And I'm hoping Pharrell will continue his improvement as a coach, although I seem to remember that last season he was also very good pre-lives, and then it all went downhill.)

(And I'm hoping Pharrell will continue his improvement as a coach, although I seem to remember that last season he was also very good pre-lives, and then it all went downhill.)

Pharrell's problem was that he put together a damn good team in the Blinds last season.  But then, he kept dropping those who were easily stronger singers than others during the Battles and the Knockouts and also stealing questionable singers.  (Jean and Menlik in the Battles?  Sugar in the Knockouts?  Really?)  By the time the lives rolled around, his team was probably the weakest, with his two strongest people being Luke and DaNica, both of whom were dispatched at F8 (Luke surprisingly, DaNica not.)

I'm hoping he's not gonna make that same mistake, but he's already worrying me with stealing Jacob and not Jeremy, and dropping Kimberly over Lowell and Ashley over Mia.

That's how I remember it too. I also remember them being paried in the first round against cannon fodder who still outsang them but Adam carried them through so ... I think he fulfilled as much of his promise as he could. 

• Love 1

Ug.  I did not like Dawn and Hawkes.  The only duo I've ever liked even slightly in the blinds was the Swon Brothers, and it took me quite awhile to really warm up to them.

I'm hoping he's not gonna make that same mistake, but he's already worrying me with stealing Jacob and not Jeremy, and dropping Kimberly over Lowell and Ashley over Mia.

Pharrell gives off the aura that he is playing a long game: that he is interested in finding young(er) "other" talent to nurture even past the show.  I have no idea if he did this with his past contestants or not, but he played that card a few times in S7 when he had to make a pitch for contestants.  I think it is a smart way to portray himself.  If he loses, he saves face.  If he doesn't, he can say I told you so.

Christina, also seems to favor younger talent.  Both of them have talked about choosing people that they could help develop and nurture... people who "needed" them more.  I think that's the reason Pharrell gave for choosing Lowell over Kimberly (although I'm thrilled with that choice and steal).

It's Adam and Blake who tend toward choosing the ones who are more ready and who "know who they are".  They are the ones who are more competitive (although Christina is starting to talk the talk, I think she is actually interested in mentoring).

I like the mix of coach's styles - although I think these strategies put Usher and Christina at a competitive disadvantage, they make for a more feel good show.

Pharrell's problem was that he put together a damn good team in the Blinds last season.  But then, he kept dropping those who were easily stronger singers than others during the Battles and the Knockouts and also stealing questionable singers.  (Jean and Menlik in the Battles?  Sugar in the Knockouts?  Really?)  By the time the lives rolled around, his team was probably the weakest, with his two strongest people being Luke and DaNica, both of whom were dispatched at F8 (Luke surprisingly, DaNica not.)

I think Mia is clearly more talented than Ashley, and she's more popular too if you guy by youtube and itunes sales. 

That being said, I don't know that I would have put them together. But, IMO, he learned from the last time to have his top 3..and have those top 3 actually be good. (Because last season they were Luke, Elyjah and Sugar..)