Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: One Of Us

• Start Topic

We don't know what the blades were made of, exactly, although presumably they aren't adamantium, if only because that metal is rare and affiliated with the X-Men franchise and thus offlimits for the MCU. 

We don't know how she installed them herself, just that she installed them herself per Coulson. 

If SHIELD is a renegade organization, why were the cops helping Bobbi and Coulson at the sanitarium ?

They didn't need to identify themselves as SHIELD.

As to the teleporter taking Cal but not Skye, it too doesn't make sense.

I guess it depends on how the teleporter is able to locate people. 

And perhaps by proxy, Melinda learned that repressing emotions is not healthy as well.

I paid attention to her lecture on emotions watching for this point, and I don't believe she said that.  She's about channeling emotions rather than suppressing them.

I could see a core group of folks either not knowing that Fury had appointed Coulson as director

Except their target appears to be the box that Fury left Coulson, so presumably they're aware of some kind of transfer of authority.  But they might be rejecting Fury's authority, and Coulson's by inheritance.

they could at the very least have cut or sanded the blades themselves down so they were just nubs

It would certainly make it easier for the poor woman to eat.  (Although she didn't seem to have any trouble with cooking -- unless she gets a lot of delivery.  She was in New York...)

Edited by ChelseaNH
  • Love 1

There were so many problems with this episode, as others have pointed out. No ear protection when dealing with a sonic threat? Why not just ice the screamer guy and everybody else, rather than let Kyle Machlachlan blather on and on? Razor blade lady says she's not powerful and then manages to give Bobbi a heck of a fight? Blech.

The diner scene made me roll my eyes. Where in this country can a guy in a muzzle sit in a diner and not get a second glance from the other customers? Or did I miss them giving an explanation to the folks in the diner? "Hey, it's the new trend in extreme dieting. That muzzle really keeps him from overeating!"

Edited by libraryone
  • Love 2

Kind of a 'Section 31 from Star Trek' organization within an organization hidden within SHIELD that even Fury didn't know about.

Or like the "Timecops" in Voyager

Or like the Second Foundation in Asimov's books.

The diner scene made me roll my eyes. Where in this country can a guy in a muzzle sit in a diner and not get a second glance from the other customers? Or did I miss them giving an explanation to the folks in the diner? "Hey, it the new trend in extreme dieting. That muzzle really keeps him from overeating!"

When I was watching that scene, I thought of the opening scene in "Reservoir Dogs." I would have really laughed if screamer refused to tip the waitress.

Sure the could have used icers, but I love seeing May and Bobbi (in the psych ward) kicking major ass, so I'll forgive it.

• Love 1

I'm kinda surprised the AV Club gave this ep an A-

I guess my Kevin Tancharoen love dwindled after the last MK:L installment. And as nice as it was to see May and Bobbi get good fight, it was so shoehorned into the plot that, for me, reason removed fun.

• Love 1

I don't follow the comics so I don't know what a SWORD or a HAMMER is, but I think this whole "real SHIELD" plot is ridiculous. I liked Bobbi, but now she is dead to me, along with Mack.

• Love 2

I'm not sure I understand the point of having a second SHIELD group, when Fury put Coulson in charge of keeping everything together in his absence (didn't he?). Of course, there could be fringe groups of former SHIELD who don't like Coulson or want him in charge

Since they made reference to "the mess Fury made" I think it's Fury they don't like. To the extent that Coulson is Fury's choice to follow Fury's recovery plan, that transfers to Coulson, but I think Fury is the point of resentment/contention. 

We don't know what the blades were made of, exactly, although presumably they aren't adamantium, if only because that metal is rare and affiliated with the X-Men franchise and thus offlimits for the MCU. 

I'd be surprised if "adamantium" was "off limits" to MCU, since it's a name from mythology anyway. In the comics, Cap's shield is an alloy of adamantium and vibranium, in the movie, they just went with the latter, but that may have been to minimize the comic book jargon rather than any rights issue. Same here, frankly. 

Random thoughts.How did Cal even know Coulson was from Wisconsin, let along the specific town?

Crazy Cal has insane techno dude who probably "hacked" into Coulson's profile. Or friended him on Facebook.

• Love 6

I like the "real SHIELD" story. It makes total sense to me that after such a monumental collapse, there would be different groups each considering themselves the real deal. As Latverian Diplomat said, it's basically been drawn down Pro-Fury/Anti-Fury lines, which is a fairly reasonable divide and based on the comics. Coulson went around recruiting, so they know he's out there, they just don't like the idea of a Fury loyalist being in charge. So they have Bobbi and Mack (and presumably Hartley) infiltrate, they find out that Fury gave Coulson a box full of toys, and they have a mission to get Fury's stuff and shut Coulson down.

• Love 3

Crazy Cal has insane techno dude who probably "hacked" into Coulson's profile. Or friended him on Facebook.

the Black Widow put everything out at the end of The Winter Soldier. Skye was said to have somehow deleted everything but it was still out

I thought the previews were shadowy and unclear enough to imply that the claws were extending from her fingertips, rather than just attached there. As it was, I am surprised that SHIELD didn't just give her a machete manicure and call it a day.

I want to know more about Cal and Eyeless Lead Inhuman Guy. If Cal was married to one of them, how does he rate as "Not One Of Us"? What kind of science experiment was he? Did it involve actual bat guano?

• Love 1

I want to know more about Cal and Eyeless Lead Inhuman Guy. If Cal was married to one of them, how does he rate as "Not One Of Us"? What kind of science experiment was he? Did it involve actual bat guano?

I think it was the diner scene when Cal was talking about using chemistry and trying to get his Hyde formula correct. he basically did to himself the same thing Bruce Banner did to himself to become the Hulk
  • Love 4

I paid attention to her lecture on emotions watching for this point, and I don't believe she said that.  She's about channeling emotions rather than suppressing them.

Except their target appears to be the box that Fury left Coulson, so presumably they're aware of some kind of transfer of authority.  But they might be rejecting Fury's authority, and Coulson's by inheritance.

For two seasons, May has been characterized by other folks on the show as robotic. So even if she talks about "channeling" her emotions, I think to a certain extent there's also some repression. YMMV.

We the audience knows how Coulson got the Toolbox, got the official nod from Fury and the like. It's not clear what the members of SHIELD 3.0 know about those things.

For instance, it's unclear even how many of our merry band know that Fury is in fact alive, let alone how many people out in the spy world. Simmons because she was rescued by him (possibly Fitz, but he was presumably unconscious) and Coulson saw him and fought beside him. It's unclear if Fury directed them to radio silence about it. Guess we'll find out in a week or so.

Since they made reference to "the mess Fury made" I think it's Fury they don't like. To the extent that Coulson is Fury's choice to follow Fury's recovery plan, that transfers to Coulson, but I think Fury is the point of resentment/contention. 

I'm not sure how Fury gets the blame for a problem that predates him by quite a while. But we'll see what "real SHIELD" has to say about all that. 

• Love 2

I liked the episode a bunch, but my main interest is that they mentioned May's mother! I hope they bring her back because the road trip she had with May last season was so much fun even though it only amounted to about two scenes.

• Love 5

Didn't they do that last season? Or is this a more hard core uncompromising SHIELD that could be the precursor to HAMMER?

Last season there was only one SHIELD.  However it was heavily infiltrated by HYDRA so you did have SHIELD infighting but one could argue that the bad SHIELD agents were never truly SHIELD.

Super agent Hunter can't manage an escape from being handcuffed to toilet plumbing. 

Hunter's not a super agent.  He's not even a SHIELD agent yet.  He's a merc who was just offered a position within SHIELD.  As far as his skills, I'd put him below most of the field agents that we've seen on the show.  Definitely not in the same league as Ward and May.

Did this "real SHIELD" exist before the events of CA:TWS ?  Kind of a 'Section 31 from Star Trek' organization within an organization hidden within SHIELD that even Fury didn't know about.  Or did it form after CA:TWS, which seems even more ludicrous ?

I definitely would be against this real SHIELD existing prior to the Winter Soldier fallout.  It would make Fury look incredibly incompetent.  Not only did he miss Hydra being part of his organization but another rogue faction popped up under his watch.  I'm hoping this group is made up of former SHIELD agents that felt Nick Fury failed them so they're not willing to follow Fury's hand picked successor.  Or I'd be fine with them simply not wanting to work for Coulson.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 3

This was a really dark episode of AoS.  I don't mean dark in terms of plot, but dark in terms of picture quality.  I kept adjusting my brightness throughout the whole episode. 

There were so many problems with this episode, as others have pointed out. No ear protection when dealing with a sonic threat? Why not just ice the screamer guy and everybody else, rather than let Kyle Machlachlan blather on and on? Razor blade lady says she's not powerful and then manages to give Bobbi a heck of a fight? Blech.

The diner scene made me roll my eyes. Where in this country can a guy in a muzzle sit in a diner and not get a second glance from the other customers? Or did I miss them giving an explanation to the folks in the diner? "Hey, it the new trend in extreme dieting. That muzzle really keeps him from overeating!"

That's just for starters.   Seems like the writers took this week off.

• Love 1

I'm not sure how Fury gets the blame for a problem that predates him by quite a while. But we'll see what "real SHIELD" has to say about all that. 

Just to play devil's advocate, he was a leading proponent of the Project Insight gunships and satellites (even if he didn't know about Zola's targeting program). And many of the leading Hydra folks were people he had personal connections to. Maybe the folks in "Real SHIELD" each had relatively minimal contact with Hydra infiltrators. Fury was hip deep in them. 

• Love 1

I guess they could blame Fury for all the stuff leading up to the Battle of New York, because that was directly on him (as well as SHIELD's inability to do even as much with the Tesseract as Red Skull's Hydra did in the 40s).

The only close-to-Fury person who was Hydra that I can think of was Alexander Pierce, who was Fury's superior and mentor. I don't think the other known Hydra folks like Garrett, Sitwell, Ward and so on were close to Fury's inner circle. And in fact, it was Fury's inner circle that stopped Hydra from executing its plan with Project Insight.

• Love 1

I guess they could blame Fury for all the stuff leading up to the Battle of New York, because that was directly on him (as well as SHIELD's inability to do even as much with the Tesseract as Red Skull's Hydra did in the 40s).

The only close-to-Fury person who was Hydra that I can think of was Alexander Pierce, who was Fury's superior and mentor. I don't think the other known Hydra folks like Garrett, Sitwell, Ward and so on were close to Fury's inner circle. And in fact, it was Fury's inner circle that stopped Hydra from executing its plan with Project Insight.

I think Sitwell was, and Rumlow, and Senator Stern was also around.

The only traditional SHIELD agent that Fury used in the final mission was Maria Hill, and Widow and Cap as irregulars. Obviously there were others like Coulson and May that he couldn't get a hold of, but the Triskelion, where Fury hung his hat, was clearly heavily infiltrated.

Yes. the infilitration started decades before Fury, and ulitmately, he played a key role in uncovering it, but a bunch of SHIELD agents who are bitter about how things went down are not necessarily going to cut him any slack. That's reading a lot into one line, but I think it makes sense as a motivation for them.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Yes. the infilitration started decades before Fury, and ulitmately, he played a key role in uncovering it, but a bunch of SHIELD agents who are bitter about how things went down are necessarily going to cut him any slack. That's reading a lot into one line, but I think it makes sense as a motivation for them.

Yeah, just look at any sitting president when things go wrong. It doesn't matter if the policies of previous administrations were at fault, people always yell at the person currently in charge, especially if it's politically expedient.

• Love 2

I can't defend the lot holes that have been pointed out - and boy was there some handwaving - but there were a lot of small bits I loved:

• While Mack was talking to Bobbi on the phone, Hunter yelled to tell Bobbi he takes back telling her "don't die out there"
  • Cal asking what Skye's ability is, and his hope that she would have wings
  • A glimpse of May's personal life leaves everyone gossipy
  • May's ex Andrew, who I must assume is recurring, because he's too good an addition not to be
  • That Mother May invited him over for dinner after he called to check on Melinda
  • Cal's supervillain RV, and the tiny circular red booth they were all sitting in at the diner
  • Cal referring to Phil as a door to door salesman of a man (I like Phil a lot, but it fits)

...cutrate Masters of Evil...

Good description.  Somehow I buy that Cal would assemble the B team, or the C team, of people on the gifted index, because he'd go after people he's sure he can control.  Or because he's a nutter.

I'm looking forward to seeing Edward James Olmos. The guy oozes gravitas.

So say we all.

• Love 11

So say we all! So say we all! Cannot wait for Admiral Adama to get here.

Now that I have finally seen the episode...in my head I just kept hearing the "One of us! One if us!" chant from Freaks

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

The casting of Edward James Olmos as head of "real SHIELD" is brilliant. You'd think "How can anybody claim to be the real one instead of Coulson's team?" and then you cast BSG's Admiral Adama/Lt. Castillo from Miami Vice! If they call  Coulson has to defend his right to be the director of SHIELD and they call him  out on all the things posters have complained about(including his favoritism towards Skye) I'm going to be impressed.

Angar the Screamer, which has always been one of the silliest characters is actually terrifying in execution. Cheerleaders and birds dropping like flies.

Thank you show for having Tyra Collette fight Adrianna La Cerva.

Loved the scene in the diner and overall Kyle MacLachlan chewing the scenery.

• Love 2

I have to say, I laughed my head off when Cal referred to him and his team of people you avoid eye contact with on the bus as "extraordinary humans". Cal really is out of his damn mind if he thinks these guys are the best in the MCU. Or even the best that can fit into his RV. 

Cal chews the scenery like its Thanksgiving dinner. I love it. 

• Love 3

The casting of Edward James Olmos as head of "real SHIELD" is brilliant. You'd think "How can anybody claim to be the real one instead of Coulson's team?" and then you cast BSG's Admiral Adama/Lt. Castillo from Miami Vice! If they call  Coulson has to defend his right to be the director of SHIELD and they call him  out on all the things posters have complained about(including his favoritism towards Skye) I'm going to be impressed.

I wouldn't be. I prefer the "real SHIELD" to be more grounded. Mostly a matter of civilian control over the military where a general can not appoint his successor as if he were King Fury handing the kingdom off to the Crown Prince. If anything about Skye comes out it should be the "alien crap" that Mack has focused on. Going towards the Captain America III civil war with indexes, alien registration and possibly interment camps in the MCU future

Ehh show, just blerg. My youngest asked why SHIELD didn't go full Fury on the wannabe villains. She said, "Cut off the girl's hands & cut out the guy's voice box. Problem solved." I agreed. Violent but effective.

I'm not a Skye fan & her new super powers added to her super specialness isn't helping. Maybe SHIELD can build her a full body muzzle suit since they seem into weird body caging. When the announcement was made about her turning her earthquake inward & breaking her bones I laughed out loud. I doubt that was the emotional response the writers desired.

"Real" SHIELD? Okay, whatever. This episode was just disappointing.

• Love 3

I never watched The Sopranos, so maybe I missed that Adriana La Cerva was the most awesome character ever hatched out of a human brain, but am I the only one who finds Drea de Matteo rather dull? I just don't find her that interesting, and her character's decidedly non-super power didn't help matters.

Edited by Sandman

Cal chews the scenery like its Thanksgiving dinner. I love it. 

I'm sure Kyle is enjoying the hell out of it, but I'd appreciate just a tiny bit more subtlety - if Cal is being set up as the Inhuman Magneto, somebody needs to remember that Magneto is compelling because he's got a really damn good point - people often do hate anything they see as different, whether they're superpowered or not.

This lot - "are you worried that Inhumans are dangerous-scary-crazy? No worries! We're here to show you that you're right!"

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 4

He definitely isn't Magneto. He isn't a visionary or a leader. He's just a somewhat crazy, yet somehow brilliant guy who's hell-bent on getting his daughter back or, failing that, taking revenge on SHIELD. So I'd say McLachlan is doing it absolutely right. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a villain that much. Actually, this show is surprisingly good when it comes to arc villains - Rayna, Garret and Ward were/are also fun. Whitehall's the only big villain who was a complete misfire, too much of a "generic Nazi scientist".

• Love 5

Fury's death may still be a mystery.  Outside of whomever was flying the helicopter/working on Fitz, from our AOS team the ones that saw and talked to Fury were Simmons, Coulson, Garrett (now dead) and May.  It's possible that Fitz, Skye and Trip (now dead) might also be aware that Fury is alive since the former would have to explain how Fitz and Simmons were rescued.  Maria Hill also knows because of he events of Captain America. But outside of those AOS characters, presumably no one else (including Ward) knows that Fury is alive and had passed along the toolbox to Coulson.  

It is entirely possible that nuSHIELD believes that Coulson usurped the position unrightfully.  

I mentioned this in the FitzSimmons thread, but what if Bobbi and Mack have each been trying to protect/secure FitzSimmons? Mack was obviously over Fitz's shoulder from the start.  Bobbi began at Hydra WITH Simmons. What if, in addition to whatever business they have with Coulson, they are also trying to woo FitzSimmons over to nuSHIELD?  

Initially I'd speculated that Momma May was the other organization that Bobbi and Mack belonged to.  But now I doubt Momma May belongs to nuSHIELD, so I wonder if she'll be the one to tell May about nuSHIELD since they dropped her name in this episode. 

Another thing that I noticed-- in the episode previously, Hunter told Bobbi that he and Coulson had had a conversation about him joining the team.  Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought Hunter had told Bobbi he'd ACCEPTED Coulson's offer, to which Bobbi was shocked because he never settles.  Also, Hunter had told Coulson that he and Bobbi were sleeping together and commented that Coulson had ripped him a new one about it.  Then in this episode, Coulson specifically asks Bobbi about Hunter and plays it like Hunter never accepted the job and that he didn't know that Bobbi/Hunter were sleeping together.  I have to wonder if Bobbi picked up on that.  Additionally, Coulson specifically tells Simmons not to tell ANYONE about the Skye is "gifted, not enhanced" and I think that Coulson might suspect that Bobbi/Mack are double agents.  If Simmons tells, let's say Fitz, then there's a potential he'd tell Mack. Keeping it between he and Simmons, means he's confident Simmons hasn't crossed the floor yet. Plus it serves the dual purpose of having Simmons lie to Fitz, so... 

Ehh show, just blerg. My youngest asked why SHIELD didn't go full Fury on the wannabe villains. She said, "Cut off the girl's hands & cut out the guy's voice box. Problem solved." I agreed. Violent but effective.

...how old is she? :-0

Edited by laddibugg
  • Love 1

The casting of Edward James Olmos as head of "real SHIELD" is brilliant. 

I know it's a little unfair to Olmos, who's terrific. But imagining him dressing down the SHIELD analogs of Crockett and Tubbs makes me smile. Also, Crockett's houseboat as a mini-Helicruiser. :-)

Angar the Screamer, which has always been one of the silliest characters is actually terrifying in execution. Cheerleaders and birds dropping like flies.

The guys jaw dropped down so far I wasn't sure if it was CGI or not.  If not, than that had to be an interesting casting call sheet - Must have jaw that can unhinge.

• Love 2

Now that I have finally seen the episode...in my head I just kept hearing the "One of us! One if us!" chant from Freaks.

THANK you, tennisgurl!  I am still chanting Ooobagobba! right along with you!  I was hoping I wasn't the only one harking back that far :-)

And Blair Underwood in more episodes?  YES PLEASE!  He was fantastic in this role.  And I loved the rapport between he and pretty much all of the cast he had scenes with.  

Not crazy about all the holes with the Cal and Friends plot line.  And so sad with Mack's crossing over.  Did NOT like the arc when it started, and still baby-baby pouting about it. 

Cheers for Simmons' build.  He's turning into finding his new self more and more, and I am liking it. 

Hello fingerblade lady?  I'd like to introduce you to my friend Davos Seaworth...

That was a really bad episode.  The CGI was dreadful, from the bent bars at the nuthouse to the screaming guy.  And the prosthetic for eyeless guy really needs some work.

• Love 4

I don't think Cal is supposed to be Magneto, I think Cal is just crazy because of what he did to himself. He's just using the others to help him get Daisy back. 

Definitely not, but he is filling the spot of "leader of the evil Mutants - er, I mean Inhumans", and I'm really looking hard for a reason why I should care about either side of this conflict, because I got 10 minutes into this and decided, hey, there's Jeremy Renner on another channel right now, I'm out of here...

And I'd care more about his attempts to get Skye back if he showed the least awareness that he's 100% the reason why she doesn't want to have anything to do with him - given how much time was spent on her "all I want is to know who I am" angst first season, getting her back should've taken nothing more than "hi, I'm your dad".

I mentioned this in the FitzSimmons thread, but what if Bobbi and Mack have each been trying to protect/secure FitzSimmons?

That's an interesting thought.  They are valuable SHIELD team members, and of the core group they are the ones most likely to be swayed.  And without them, there is a limit to what Coulson could accomplish.

And so sad with Mack's crossing over.

You know, I'm open to the idea that Mack and Bobbi believe they are doing the right thing, and I'm curious to see what decisions they make from here.  I like the subtle shifts in Mack's behavior between undercover to non-undercover.  It's not as glaring as Ward's transition, but it's there.

Now that I have finally seen the episode...in my head I just kept hearing the "One of us! One if us!" chant from Freaks.

THANK you, tennisgurl!  I am still chanting Ooobagobba! right along with you!  I was hoping I wasn't the only one harking back that far :-)

No, you definitely aren't alone.

• Love 1

...how old is she? :-0
Ha! She's 13. I'd worry about this, but she's such a pragmatic child that she was simply suggesting a solution to a problem using tv/movie acceptable violence. Actually I thought it was a quick answer to a pesky problem. She was discussing how silly the caging of the danger was as opposed to a permanent fix. We then had a fun talk about comic book silliness.

There were so many problems with this episode, as others have pointed out. No ear protection when dealing with a sonic threat? Why not just ice the screamer guy and everybody else, rather than let Kyle Machlachlan blather on and on?

Ice them? They have actually shot people who were less of a threat than these people. 

I thought the previews were shadowy and unclear enough to imply that the claws were extending from her fingertips, rather than just attached there. As it was, I am surprised that SHIELD didn't just give her a machete manicure and call it a day.

Considering Marvel has over 70 years of characters and powers to draw on, how did "scalpels attached to your fingernails" make it as a power that was used on a network TV  show. And how is those stupid finger covers she was wearing a better solution than a hacksaw or a bolt cutter? That was really stupid. Plus I wonder if Drea de Matteo, is kind of pissed off now. I mean I am sure every actor working in Hollywood would love some kind of reoccurring role somewhere in the always expanding Marvel machine. Getting a one time guest spot in Agents of SHIELD, probably means that kind of thing won't happen for her.

Heh. "Great! A thousand second-tier heroes and lesser villains to choose from, and who do I get? Madame Pull-My-Finger. My agent better get a shield, I tell you what. I mean, I'm Adriana Frickin' Cerva, here!"

Considering Marvel has over 70 years of characters and powers to draw on, how did "scalpels attached to your fingernails" make it as a power that was used on a network TV  show

It didn't even make it into the comic books! Not only did her character, Karla Faye Gideon, not give herself exacto-nails to fight her abusive boyfriend, she never even fought back against her abuser. In fact, she defended him (in the comics it was her husband), which added a sad if controversial dimension to her character.

Personally, I'm waiting for them to introduce that scourge of society, the notorious Eye Poker! Just to watch SHIELD totally forget to put on safety goggles for the entire episode.

• Love 1

Ice them? They have actually shot people who were less of a threat than these people. 

Considering Marvel has over 70 years of characters and powers to draw on, how did "scalpels attached to your fingernails" make it as a power that was used on a network TV  show. And how is those stupid finger covers she was wearing a better solution than a hacksaw or a bolt cutter? That was really stupid. Plus I wonder if Drea de Matteo, is kind of pissed off now. I mean I am sure every actor working in Hollywood would love some kind of reoccurring role somewhere in the always expanding Marvel machine. Getting a one time guest spot in Agents of SHIELD, probably means that kind of thing won't happen for her.

There's some speculation that her character might be in the Netflix Daredevil series. 

Hunter's not a super agent.  He's not even a SHIELD agent yet.  He's a merc who was just offered a position within SHIELD.  As far as his skills, I'd put him below most of the shield agents that we've seen on the show.  Definitely not in the same league as Ward and May.

Which is weird because he should be up there, if indeed going by his bio he was in the SAS.  (and his comic book counterpart becomes MI6/ MI13 and the head of S.T.R.I.K.E)

Last season there was only one SHIELD.  However it was heavily infiltrated by HYDRA so you did have SHIELD infighting but one could argue that the bad SHIELD agents were never truly SHIELD.

Hunter's not a super agent.  He's not even a SHIELD agent yet.  He's a merc who was just offered a position within SHIELD.  As far as his skills, I'd put him below most of the field agents that we've seen on the show.  Definitely not in the same league as Ward and May.

Which is weird because he should be up there, if indeed going by his bio he was in the SAS.  (and his comic book counterpart becomes MI6/ MI13 and the head of S.T.R.I.K.E)

It is your normal TV trope where regular soldiers don't know how to hold a weapon, your normal paratrooper or Marine can at least hold a rifle and your average cop is a veteran of the Rangers, SEALs, Marine Scout Sniper or SAS even if they seem too young to be both a military veteran and become a veteran cop. As a cop they might actually shot multiple people in weekly firefights when he becomes a police detective. It is only your SEAL Team 6, Delta Force commando who can hold his own with a middle aged James Bond spy. Just saying SAS makes Hunter just a cop until we hear about his undercover missions and then he becomes more than just a SAS Trooper.

• Love 1