Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

My father had one of those ball-sucking things during (and after) his last hospital visit.  Or he had a device that looked like what you describe.

That's just plain mean, to smell up the place with curry you can't have!  Maybe you could get some sauce to dip your nuggets in.  Chicken nuggets, that is.  🙂

Glad to hear you're recovering well -- taking out tubes is a good thing!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Must say, for three days post-op I feel pretty good.  Not sure I'm ready to go home and start cooking my own meals... Pretty weak but pains at a minimum unless I have to cough.  Which I am required to do often to bring up ick!  

No sign Chloe's baby wants to put in an appearance.  Due on Tuesday but will come when good and ready, as babies do.

Everyone has been very supportive.  Medicated WhatsApp messages on club group brought about some amusing responses.  Friends here have helped keep spirits high. Heidi doing more than anyone could ask, except doctor who seems to think she only had to move in with me so he can send me home tomorrow.

Yes   @Browncoat, I have to take the balls home with me and keep using them.

They won't let me sleep on my side like I like to do. I guess they know what they are doing. But I do a little roll to one side and so long as I don't go too far I get away with it. They are going to wake me at midnight to tell me to get some rest, again at 2:00 AM to stab me with needles, and again at 4:00 AM to give me a bath and change the sheets. By 5:30AM I'm glad to wake up! I wish I could just take a shower instead of bed bath, , but honestly not sure I could complete such a maneuver.

Been given the OK to use the toilet instead of a bedpan.  But it's three doors away in the visitors waiting room and kept locked.  I kid you not. It takes them so long to locate the key.....

Trying to keep control of a boundlessly unstoppable puppy right now is absolutely beyond my abilities.  Since the rotter is a vampire who likes to lick cuts (and since I've just been told dog spit is NOT antibiotic, apparently, as per previous working hypothesis) I won't be able to have him until all incisions are completely sealed up.  

Sent a sitrep to my GP (best doctor ITW) and told her to take husband/kids to the beach tomorrow. Looks like it will be windy.  Hopefully the guys can have a good day gliding.  Hope you guys have a good day too.  

• Love 4

Thrown out of SICU!  Now in Ward A5, room NINE.  Yes, you can visit, but bring your own pizza & beer -- highly unlikely you will get any provided.

A/C but not working, probably broken.  Window overlooking Martindale Rd. wide open and blowing a gale of sweet breeze, and fully equipped with two sparrows fighting for crumbs on the window sill. Bed, table with all wheels present & correct, three chairs. Even got my very own karzie!

There is even a verandah, but I'm sure the door is locked and jumping through the window... Maybe tomorrow.

Lunch was spectacular and completely tasteless. But tasteless meals are the norm for me these days.  Taste buds fried by daily drug regime, I suppose.

All tubes and wires out except for hernia site drain and oxy-prongs in my nose.

I think it's safe to say it's gone well.  Just got to get blood sugar and oxygen stats under control, meanwhile build up sufficient strength to manage life home alone. 

• Love 6

An open window with sweet breeze and sparrows on the windowsill? Things are already looking up for you!  Hurry up and go to sleep so they can wake you up to tell you to get rest. Why? Because you can wake up!!!!! And as someone who has had several dear family members have surgery, celebrate every poop! Tell everyone “I pooped on my own today!” Buddy would be proud.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

You are sooo right, @Spunkygal!

Four hours uninterrupted sleep?  I know I'm all well again!  Just some sporadic aches and pains -- no more than I might expect from being the olde decrepit bachelor I am... Plus an annoyingly short tube up my nose and another in my navel. The navel drain looks icky as hell, and apparently hasn't drained a drop all night. No surprise. It looks more gummed up than a paper hanger's brush!

Blood sugar this morning was 5.9 (normal on the high side borderline) so let me please have a low-carb breakfast and keep it out of the stratosphere for a while.  Was offered Ovaltine at six, but settled for sugarless tea instead.

(I thought I was well prepared for this adventure, but there is a list of stuff I forgot which I will know to add to my bag next time! Examples: Backscratcher, Stevia, more Bounty than you could possibly use... Because you will, Thermos...)

Now to get this blasted oxy tube out of my nose.  The number was 98% this morning and that was without sucking balls all night.  But it has to be good with me off the tube.  It's presumably easy to maintain good numbers while being pumped full of the stuff.

I feel fine. Tender and vulnerable from the hollow of my throat, all the way down to the top of my groin, but otherwise fine.  They are still giving me Panadol and I'm taking it of course, but I could probably do without it. Not sure I could handle a long-clawed ball of fire who likes to leap into your lap and sink those claws on to show how much he loves you...

I'm hoping the drain comes out today, if it isn't so gunky it needs to be replaced instead.  And the oxy tube soon after.  And the BS is declared "under control" which I define as not requiring insulin injections to manage. And I be given full bathroom privileges including showering... But I can keep sponge bathing for a short longer while before my brain spontaneously explodes.

Hell, if the doctors cooperate, I'm ready to go home!  Suppose you'd seen me five days ago?

• Love 2

Dr. S (first surgeon) has visited, and oxygen tube is out!  Dr. B (second surgeon) now has to decide whether to remove real nasty drain which remains.  Don't know how anyone could look at that stinky mess and make any type of decision... But if Dr. B takes it out, Dr. S says he will discharge me today!

Lots of strict rules and dire warnings, but out is out!

Where are you, Dr. B?

• Love 7
(edited)

Back from the Shadows again.
Out where an In-jun's your friend.
Where the vegetables are green.
And you can pee into the stream.
Yes, we're back from the Shadows again.

That's right, all you bozos...  Home again!

Eventful day waiting for the doc to come pull that drain out.  Then it started pulling itself out...

Then Heidi decided I should stay a few more days.

Her: Do you have clean sheets?
Me: I have brand new sheets!
Her: But did you wash the brand new sheets?
Me: . . . .

Apparently she and Dr. K (best Doc ITW) have been having a continued discussion on how stupid I am...

But I'm HOME NOW!  Jethro Tull playing (TOTRR, TYTD), and a pot of ready-cooked dinner provided by Heidi who didn't know that QEH fed me my dinner at 4:30 PM. A dozen beastly cold cokes in the fridge, Last Wednesdays TAR on Bit<Cough>Torrent as we speak, and only one thing missing.  Maybe tomorrow.  Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks guys.  Between you, and that bunch of irreverent balsa bashers and glider guiders from the club, I think this was not the ordeal it might have been, even though it was pretty bad here and there, especially at the beginning.

ETA: Oh, and coffee!

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

@Spunkygal, I have to get a pillow and hug it to my front for 5-10 minutes for added protection while he ricochets all over the place.  After that he will be normal again.  Not sure if to go for him tomorrow.  He's only paid up until last night.  I called today and said I was stuck in QEH still, and would they hold him a couple days and they said "<grumble>, <grumble>, OK".  But I know they are renovating and expanding and right now kennel space is at a premium, so soonest is best for everyone.  After all, I might have to use them the next time I do something stupid and book myself into hospital...  If I get through the night OK and have no problems in the morning that will go a long way towards him coming home sooner than later.

Thanks, @Browncoat!  Did you mean the Jethro Tull?  Or the Firesign Theatre? Not that Firesign Theatre is strictly music, but...  I took a playlist of about 375 songs with me on my phone (everything from The Mamas & The Papas through to Marilyn Manson) but had to do all my listening on headphones because I don't think they would have appreciated some of my track selections blaring through the place.

Oh lordy!  Did the hospital f*ck up my drug stash or what?  Gonna take an hour to get that stuff sorted and back in order!

Still hugging a pillow and coughing up ick.  Not the pillow they gave me -- it's too small and too hard.  I brought it home for Buddy.  He will enjoy eating it.

Gotta go suck balls again.  Every waking hour for six weeks...

• Love 3

Wow! What an ordeal! Glad to hear you are home again Netfoot! Nothing better than your own bed. Glad you friends and family are looking after you - despite waiting on the new baby. I hope buddy lets you take it easy for quite a while.  Enjoy your music and books and get lots of rest!

• Love 1

Lucky you!  One of the drawbacks of living "in paradise" is that you rarely get a chance to see your favourite bands.  They visit this part of the world infrequently if ever, and it's prohibitively expensive to travel long distances to attend concerts very often.

JT been a favourite since Aqualung was released.  (Early adopter!)

Slept painfully but made it no troubles, no leaky bandages, no reason for alarm.

Just completed first electronic contact with my niece.  Two electronic contacts plus one face-to-face, in-the-flesh (no Skype, etc) required every day for first week.  10 days no showering apparently begins on day of operation.  Wonder when 6 weeks no driving starts?  Maybe first week almost over already!

Let's hope blood sugar is good in an hour or so.

• Love 2

Reunited
And it feels so good...

reunited.thumb.jpg.17d8901ab7263821b2ee4441f7fb5dfd.jpg

The Budster is huffing.  And he never was any good at taking a selfie...

The Blood Sugar was 4.8 which is good by me!

Lunch, followed by nap, I think!

• Love 10
(edited)

Allow me to introduce Nina StClair

IMG-20190623-WA0002.thumb.jpg.bfebedf091a94fe4edc677ac1fccf770.jpg

I've been sent a bunch of videos and photos, but this is the one of her going home from hospital.  (There is a rather cute photo of Dad introducing the family Jack Russel, but Nina is not actually very visible in it.)

I have not met her in person as yet.  Maybe there will be a forthcoming photo of myself holding the babe, as I may be forced to do so for the camera.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 7

Just checking in on you NetFoot, How are you doing?

I'm having a bit of a TAR summer. it was supposed to be one short trip and one long trip and then the short trip turned into a medium trip and another short trip was added in.  That's a couple family visit trip and then vacation. Really looking forward to the vacation part!

Hope all is well!

It's just gone midnight.  Which means it's Monday.  Wednesday, will be 6 weeks post-op.  I was told that I couldn't drive for six weeks from the operation, but I argued and got two days off. So, as of... NOW, I can drive again.

It's been a tough six weeks.  Most of the first week, I was actually in hospital, and the next week I was at home, in a very tender condition, being well looked after by my niece.  In that time, little Nina was born.

Then, my niece's husband had a heart attack.  He's fine now, but it was touch and go for a while.  Naturally, his condition took priority.  I had to manage on my own, as my niece concentrated on looking after him, as you would expect.  This presented some problems, But I managed OK.

The biggest issue was lack of transportation.  Some weeks I had to make doctor's visits four times.  When groceries ran short, I had to get supplies, somehow.  Problematic, and not helped by the fact that my FOUR closest buddies were ALL out of the island at the same time, and couldn't be called on for help.  But it all worked out in the end. 

The biggest sufferer is Budweiser.  He usually goes with me in the van when ever I go anywhere.  And at least once a week he gets a trip into the country where he is free to wander and roam as far as he likes.  I have been able to leave home, walking, in taxis, etc.  Buddy has been going stir-crazy for nearly six weeks.  Tomorrow, he gets to go for a long drive!  I have tons of stuff to do that he can help me with, and I'll also make sure we take the scenic route as we go.  Wednesday, we will go into the country, where he can have an afternoon of freedom!

I have a lovely scar on my chest.  People will think I had bypass surgery or something! There is one tiny little area (right at the bottom where the drain was) that can't make up it's mind whether it wants to close up or not.  Otherwise it's raw and ugly and still very sore, but essentially all healed up.  I pulled off the last bandage today, and I hope my doctor will tell me I don't need to replace it.

I have another lovely scar down through my navel.  That one was un-bandaged weeks ago, by one of the surgeons.  He said to look out for seepage.  It started "seeping" the very next day, and was ruining one set of bedclothes and one shirt every day.  So, I put a bandage back on it.  I'm seeing him tomorrow (Bud will come along for the ride, of course), and he (the surgeon, not Bud) will probably bitch about the bandages.  Too bad.  Hopefully, they can come off once and for all, now.

So, everything is quite sore and will probably continue to be so for months to come. (Funnily, the worst aches and pains are in my back, shoulders and neck. This because apparently the surgeon had to "butterfly me like a chicken" while I was on the table.) But anyway, the six-week post-op period is over (or, technically, will be on Wednesday) so life can return to normal.  Only, I probably won't start swinging a weed-whacker or lifting heavy weights for a while yet.

And best of all I am now driving again!  Or will be from tomorrow morning, anyhow.  Which is a good thing, because I am down to my last Coco-cola!

You want a cute picture of baby Nina?  Or a cute picture of Buddy checking the comfort level of my pillows?

• Love 4
(edited)

First day back. Got about half of what I wanted to do, done. Feel exhausted. Will go take a nap, but first have to take the car for a test for insurance. Bud loved the morning in the car!

Baby Nina! (I have yet to meet this child in person. Will rectify at first opportunity.)

baby-nina.thumb.jpg.a2ed6709c1dc37110fb0c35770f2cc8f.jpg

Last of the bandages came off today. This means I can take a proper SHOWER!!! I'd post a picture of my nasty scars, but that would be creepy.

Here is Buddy, comfort-testing my pillows a few days ago:

bud-pillow-test.thumb.jpg.c11a494b846b4c667c47461b26fce782.jpg

Got behind the wheel just in time. Groceries tomorrow, but had to make an emergency stop to purchase two 6-paks of Cokes.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 6

Just back from the supermarket, where I found some amazing plantains:

plantains.thumb.jpg.ef7008a59f4e067a75bd9e127ac4e303.jpg

But the real news is that yesterday was Budweiser's birthday.  He was six/forty-two.  Here he is in all his glorious laziness, engaging in his favourite strenuous activity:

birthday-6.thumb.jpg.9fd57005eada642ec8dfcc31f79f309e.jpg

Personally, my chest incision is all healed up, but the surgeon says he'll cut it open again in three months when he does my bypass. (Apparently, he can be a dick!)  The belly-button incision opened up again but that surgeon says it is healing fine, and will just take longer than originally expected because it's healing in a different way.  It's filling in from the bottom instead of closing together. Anyway, it looks horrible, and you won't be getting to see the photos, because yeeech!

Meanwhile, my doctor has me WhatsApp-ing her a "heartbeat" every day to make sure I'm still alive.  I usually send her some stupid photo featuring Buddy and myself.  Some of them are kind of cute; the one of my feet with a toe-tag didn't go down that well.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

According to the latest advisory (#6A) the center of TS Dorian is now 95 miles distant, with storm-force winds extending to 45 miles.  Forward movement is 14 MPH, so we should start to feel something in about 3½  hours or a little less.  It is pretty much on target for a change.  Sustained winds are 50-60 MPH with gusts possibly up to hurricane force.

All of this comes on my third day without running water.  (Yes I paid the bill, it's the entire neighborhood that's out.)  I'm down to using Budweiser's water flask from the car, the normal purpose of which is to ensure his bowl can always be filled, no matter where we go. I've about 1½ liters remaining. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch some off the roof when the rain starts.

Weird. I live on a noisy, busy corner, but all is quiet save for the birds, and I haven't seen a pedestrian or a vehicle for quite a while.  Sky is overcast, a gentle, cool breeze is blowing, but no sign of stormy weather yet. Bud has his head out the window, but can't find anything/body to growl at. Next advisory due at 5:00.  Taps still off. Just spilled a pot of stew on the floor (Bud was pleased) along with a precious half liter of water.

Coconut tree across the way starting to look quite windswept, and breeze coming through the window is strengthening slightly.  No sign of rain - expected to start between 7:00 and 8:00. Peak winds 8:00 to 11:00.  Tree has calmed down again.  Bud has gone out for a stroll.  When the rain begins, I'll have to lock him in.  Otherwise he will want to go back and forth between going out to stand under the deluge, an running into the bedroom to dry off by rolling on the bed.

• Love 1

There has been hardly any rain, and very little wind.  So somehow, it looks like we dodged again!

One piece of good news is that just about four hours ago, I got some water in the taps!  Just a trickle, but I was able to take the rose off the shower and fill all my water cans.  94L in total.  And unless that trickle dries up again, I'll be able to take a shower of sorts, before bed.

This happens all the time.  We get dire predictions of impending doom, which it would be foolish to completely ignore, because that would almost certainly guarantee it all come to fruition!  So you take steps and then you wait, and eventually the satellite photos show the storm with us right in the middle.  You look outside, and... nothing!

• Love 2

Very glad you are doing ok Netfoot!. Sorry to hear of all your trials. Here in the cosmopolitan Bay Area you would have your choice of a dozen food delivery services and grocery delivery services. Someone on the islands should set this up! I need to figure these services out at some point because my parents will need them. My mom still drives, but she is 85. and I am happy to get things for them, but I know they don't always want to call me.

I like your doctor checking in with you by chat, that's very clever.  and kind.

Lots of scratches to Buddy, here's hoping you stay warm and dry.

• Love 1

Netfoot, please let us know how you're doing since the latest hurricane

if you can. ( edited to add, OK You're in Barbados, not the Bahamas, dialing down the worry several notches.)  Hope you are well.

My son has joined the High school Marching band and it's taking over our lives! I feel like we've joined a cult!

Edited by Honeycocoa
  • LOL 1

Yes, all well here WRT Dorian.  The storm sneaked past without even causing much rain to fall.  I firmly believe that we being 105 miles further east than the next islands, makes all the difference. Storm after storm leaves us untouched and then smashes into places further west and north.

Of course, we still have to take warnings seriously when they come, because you can bet the one time you don't, that will be the time the storm does us wrong!

Bud is well, and as sweet as ever, (the little monster!).  We dropped by the Arc Book Tent on Tuesday.  They sell second-hand books on the first Tuesday of each month in the parking lot of our supermarket, and I always buy $20 worth of books, even if I don't really want them. Then, on our way out, I stop the van right next to the tent so he can put his head out the window and make a small cash donation since he's not much of a reader. The ladies come and make a fuss of him, and this time they took his picture and promised to put it on their FaecesBook page.  I've been looking out for it but so far, no sign.  

I think the panic over my arrhythmic heartbeat which got me rushed to a cardiologist 4 weeks ago has died down a little. I've had it for 30 years, it's stress-related.  And there's been a fair bit of stress in my life recently.  And drinking 5-6 cokes a day for four months didn't help.  I just had an insatiable thirst for the things!  I was told to stop drinking them, and I switched to Pepsi immediately. That's what I told the cardiologist last week, and she was NOT amused. Anyway, heartbeat has greatly improved without the caffeine, and I've been deliberately decompressing from the stress. 

As of Wednesday, I was 12 weeks post-op.  The chest incision is completely healed.  (But it's crooked!  Damned surgeon needs a framing-square in the theater!) Tummy incision is alllllllmost fully healed.  Decided to do without bandages from Monday, and it is good!  Still horribly ugly.  Nowhere near as bad as it was a few weeks ago, but still too ugly to let anyone but the surgeon see the photographs.  (I WhatsApp him a photo every couple of weeks, so I don't have to sit in his waiting room for three hours, stress out, and get more PVCs.) Chest and tummy still quite sore and tender, and when I had the echo a couple weeks ago I think the ultrasound bruised the already tender chest and I lay in bed and cried salty tears for four days, nearly five. All well again now, though.

And in the midst of all that, it turns out that what I was originally told was kidney cancer is actually normal kidney tissue and not a cancer, tumor, cyst, or anything bad.  The specialist still thought it would be a good idea if I continued to give him $2K every three months, ongoing.  So I told him to Go Forth And Multiply.

After that small bit of good news, I have to report that I've put back on 70 of the 91 pounds I lost last year, and since I can't really go walking for exercise and I'm still taking a stiff dose of steroids each day, there isn't that much I can do about it.

Boy, for what was supposed to be a quick reply, I sure did waffle on!

Rule for Life:  If someone gives your kid a DRUM toy or a TRUMPET toy for Christmas/birthday, that someone doesn't like you!  

Don't know what to suggest other than to remind you that Ulysses used soft beeswax...  :)

• Love 2

Glad to hear you are healing AND your Kidneys are ok, Netfoot.  Every time this year I have to back track through your posts and make sure you really are in Barbados. Every single year.

We sent money to the shelter that kept our dog originally. She was found on the streets with mange, and usually the shelter puts down dogs with communicable diseases, they can't afford the risk. But she was so sweet , and she had four puppies so they put them all in isolation ( together) for 6 weeks and got them healthy. So we make sure to send them some money and an update every year.

The weight gain is so frustrating. I have a bad knee now. Losing weight would help my knee. What hurts it? Many forms of exercise. Arg.

Really wish TAR was on twice a year. Could use some happy distraction these days.

Bud came from The Ark, which has a No-Kill policy.  They are also very cautious about who gets one of their dogs.  They came and inspected the premesis twice before they would let me take him home.  If I had money, I would do more for them.

I keep promising him a puppy for his birthday.  But there are difficulties.  While puppies are cute and snuggly-wuggly, an older dog might be more in need. Thing is, if I get a second dog, it can not be as a second-class member of the family. As it is, Bud skilfully manages to occupy 66% of the bed, has taken possession of the van and generously allows me to use it from time to time, and goes with me everywhere he can. (We just got back from the hardware store, PriceSmart, the supermarket, and the pharmacy at the mall.) Can I really handle two of them in the van at once? When I go places with him, his presence is generally accepted. I can't be sure that two dogs will be as welcome as one. I don't know what to do.

I am Bajan. I live in Barbados, the Easternmost Isle (in the Caribbean). Look at a map, and lean your head to the left. There is a necklace of islands from Venezuela, north to the BVI and beyond. Hanging from that necklace, is Barbados, a.k.a. 'Bim' or 'Bimshire', surrounded by the Atlantic.

Not to be mistaken for Bermuda, Barbuda or the Bahamas. Or Bahrain or Botswana or Bangladesh, all of which I have had mail sent to erroneously before it being redirected to me.  

Mail for these islands used to be commonly addressed for example to "Barbados, W.I." (West Indies) but that practice is little used now, since most of such mail has to be recovered from Wisconsin.

And I've had mail sent to "Christ Church, Barbados" reach me after a trip to New Zealand.  

I would like to try to re-lose some of the weight that I lost and then gained back. I see one money-grubbing saw-bones tomorrow, and hope to get my dosage of steroids reduced. I paid $30K+ for the surgery because he told me it would reduce the drug load. (And truth be told, that op. really beat me down, too.) As it is, of the twelve (thirteen?) medications that I have to take daily, no less than five list "dizziness or faintness" as a side-effect. I can hardly walk to the bathroom without falling down. Far less the 10 miles a day I was doing as recently as January!

pills.thumb.jpg.a904915a2f81006eda6f45ff6275a75f.jpg

Breakfast, lunch and dinner. What do you do? The best you can. 

I too, wish TAR was more frequent. And I miss TARCon. I was only able to attend a few times, but I always had a ball, and thoroughly loved meeting up with some of the other fans. Mind you, I was so out of place in NYC, I only survived the experience because other TARCon attendees literally held me by the hand and guided me safely through a maze of cars driving on the wrong side of the street, underground trains, etc. My thanks and love once more to them, and to the TARCon organizers who did so much for little or no reward.  

ETA: I really wish this software understood that a full-stop should be followed by two spaces...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Grrrrr!

Some lowlife jumped over my locked gate Monday night, while Bud and I were sleeping.  BUSTED the side window on my van, (right behind the driver) scattering shards of glass all over the garage and the inside of the van.  Then they clambered up the side of the van (scraping the paint to buggery in the process) and through the window, to see what they could steal. Obviously not too clever, because they could have just reached through the broken window and opened the door.

Did they steal the $1,500 in tools in the back? No. Did they steal the $1,500 hi-fi out of the dash? No. Did they steal the $500 worth of electronics in the back seat? No. Did they steal the $250 worth of paint and other supplies? No. Did they steal the $1.75 in change out of the ashtray? No.

Did they steal anything at all?  NO.

I went all over the island on Tuesday & Wednesday trying to find a second hand window. No dice.

You know what this means, right? I gotta go to NASSCO, pay $2,000 for a new one, wait 4+ months while it gets shipped in from Japan, then schedule an all-day session in their workshop so I can pay another $500 to have it fitted.  Anyway, I went down there today to see how bad it was, what exactly it would cost, and how long it would take to ship in, and what the installation fee would be.

$728 and they got one in stock! Yes, they can do it right away, it will take about 20 minutes. Installation fee? Well, with an unexpected discount on the glass, Buddy and I were out of there in less than half an hour, for the grand total of $731!

Best of all? Special clause in my insurance policy. They pay the full price of renewing glass (no deductible) and it does not affect my no-claims bonus!

In only two days, the TownAce is made awesome again!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 7

Wow, glad to hear it Netfoot.  I once got a small crack in the windshield of my Subaru. It was small, I kept ignoring it, I just didn't want to deal with the repairs. Then we had some really hot weather and it got much worse. Turns out the repair was not a problem, they came to the house and the insurance covered it completely. They really don't want you driving around with a problem in the windshield. Who knew?

Buddy didn't alert you to someone breaking into your yard? Ok,  maybe you do need a puppy. Something small and yappy to wake up the big guy.

It's  been a bit complicated around here, my elderly mom fell and broke her arm, making caring for my elderly ( and slightly demented ) father much more of a chore. I've managed to talk them into some very part time home health aids while she recovers. I'm hoping they will keep the help even after she is out of her cast. I vacillate between wanting them to get a lot of help. and feeling like I should just go over there and do everything for them myself.  They've both been frail for a while this isn't a surprise. But it's a lot.

<sigh>

After specifically telling me that I did not need to call the cops, my insurance guy is now saying a police report will be required, so I have to go and make an official report, a week after the incident. Guess I'd better do that first thing today.

I don't know how someone managed to bust that window without making sufficient noise to rile up Buddy (or myself) but he never stirred that night, and I certainly didn't hear anything. Today is the first Tuesday of the month, so the book-tent will be in the supermarket parking lot. I will go and buy a book or two, and give Buddy the chance to make a donation as usual. (He will probably want to borrow the money from me!) I will also make inquiries about fostering. Somewhat apprehensive about it, to tell the truth.

I love the idea of a puppy, all cute and mischievous and fuzzy/cuddly, but they find homes more easily. An older dog might be more in need, though. Dunno.

Before she passed away, my mum had a tendency to fall. Arthritis in the lower spine compromised her ability to balance. (Not unlike myself at the moment, with seven of my medications listing dizziness as a side-effect, but I digress...) Mum fell all the time. We stopped counting after the 30th fall.  But she mostly managed to fall on something soft. She did manage to crack a few bones, though, including some vertebra, one elbow and her wrist quite badly. She also suffered from osteoporosis. How she avoided more breaks is really quite a miracle.

I know you feel should be there for your parents, doing all that they need done. I advise doing as little as possible -- by which I mean get all the help you can. Once you start, it never stops, and there are no vacations. Avoid the strain of trying to do it all, so you don't end up burnt out and in need of care yourself. Any help you can get, take it. That leaves you fresh to deal with the things you can't get help with.

• Love 3

Went to the cliff yesterday.  Pleasant afternoon -- we stayed until well after dark, just chewing the fat.  This morning, on the club WhatsApp group, Kev posted a Photograph of Buddy's Butt:

772301384_WhatsAppImage2019-12-23at09_11_49.thumb.jpeg.57548551afe504ec2cdb7eadebe9d68b.jpeg

Nice photo, except for... you know... the butt.

Today, I am delivering presents.  Four delivered already, but two were to SICU who looked after me some months ago (two shifts). Just went and got approval from management to give a box of chocs to the ladies in the deli of my supermarket.  Have to get approval to avoid suspicion that the chocs came off the supermarket shelf. Will go back shortly to get some Pigeon Peas & Rice, Jug-jug, Pork Chops, etc, for a pre-Christmas lunch.  

Earlier this month, before any Christmassy stuff could take place, I had to visit the barber.  Can't walk around at Christmas time looking like this.  You get too many job offers -- most of which involve kids in some way.

Bud & I will be spending Christmas peacefully at home. He's getting beef for his present. Or maybe lamb. I hope everyone has fun things planned.

Enjoy yourselves!

• Love 6

@Netfoot, glad to hear you are doing well. Tell Buddy he has a cute butt! Remember my little girl who has the “foxy” ears? She is declining pretty quickly and I know I will have to face a very sad decision soon. 😢 she has a myriad of health issues and is of indeterminate age because I got her at the shelter. We’ve had 8 1/2 great years together, so I am thankful for that.  So give Buddy extra hugs tonight and I hope you both have a happy and healthy new year! 

• Love 1

So sorry to hear about your Foxy-eared friend's declining health. I can tell you that for three weeks I was worried to death over Bud's foot, and that was only an infected toe. Give her lots of love when ever you get the chance. Make memories that will never fade away.  

I will give Bud hugs and tummy-rubs tonight for sure. It's been cold recently for some reason (winter?) so he has been more inclined to snuggle. He also has a habit of standing on the bedside table with his front paws and looking out the window. But he sometimes does it while I'm asleep, and he ends up standing on my head with his back paws. I guess if you sleep half the day you can afford to be up half the night!

I'm actually quite tired so I think I will turn in early tonight. I'll have a shower first, tho...

• Love 2
On 12/23/2019 at 5:39 PM, Spunkygal said:

Remember my little girl who has the “foxy” ears? She is declining pretty quickly and I know I will have to face a very sad decision soon. 😢 she has a myriad of health issues and is of indeterminate age because I got her at the shelter. We’ve had 8 1/2 great years together, so I am thankful for that.  

I'm so sorry this is your life right now when it must seem like everyone else in the world is celebrating.  I think you'll know when the time is right, and you'll be left with all the best memories, not the most difficult.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Give your fur babies extra loving for us. 

I just came from rubbing a sleepy boy's ears to find this sad news.

I am so sorry. I know how heart wrenching it is, and I wish I could think of words to comfort you but alas, no such words exist. Take slim solace in the fact that her time was come and that she now rests peacefully.

There are those who will tell you to rush out and find a replacement baby who needs you. But I say wait a few weeks, months. Mourn your baby girl, and when your heart be at peace, you will meet another girl (or boy) and you will immediately recognise that they need you and you them.

If you have a nice picture, perhaps you will post it so we can all see? In the mean time, I will take your advice and give my rascally hellion as much affection as he can handle, and possibly a special lunch as well -- which he will appreciate more than hugs and cuddles. And I will think of you and try to imagine the many happy moments you will have shared with your baby over the years.

• Love 2

@Netfoot, thanks for your kind words. I agree, I’m going to cherish my memories and wait a while before I adopt another pup. I have a trip to Normandy this summer so I will throw myself into planning for that. There is a pic of her back on page 6 when we were discussing your Foxy friend. My girl was so smart and what a mama’s girl she was! Again, I appreciate your thoughts!

Went up to the club this afternoon a little early, and cut the grass. Several friends came later and we had a great time. A huge hare passed through, but Buddy was standing in my lap, looking the wrong way, and never even saw it, the silly boy!

The wind was light, and several different aircraft were flown., only one crash (A FW-190 'Butcher Bird' which re-kitted upon impact).

Our duncs tree is full of fruit, even though the season is at an end.

IMG_20200126_135357.thumb.jpg.d1c141580aa5bc04f967a20857f358e8.jpg

I don't like them when they go orange and brown. Some people seem to think that is when they are at their best, but to me, they taste 'gamey' and I don't like that flavour. I like them yellow, with a slightly tart taste. The fruit this year aren't as large as previous years, but they are plentiful on the tree, and very tasty as usual! We all ate too many.

This is the first time at the club for several weeks. We've had high winds which allow us to go to our favourite slope soaring site and have fun with the gliders. Two weekends ago the winds were howling! Gusts measured at over 30 knots! Last week wasn't nearly so windy, but the wind was smooth and steady, and there was bags of lift, far out in front as well as above and also, unusually, behind the edge where you'd normally only expect "The Rotor" (turbulence).

Doctor tomorrow, for a blood-draw. I've had this test 14 times in the last two months. Fortunately, my Doc is very gifted with a needle. If I look away, I never feel a thing. I just wish the numbers would stabilize instead of see-sawing up and down. It's the constantly changing dosages that are the PITA! It takes me long enough to lay out tomorrow's meds as it is, without having the dosage vary with the day of the week!

Buddy is also on meds. His infected toe almost got better, but then it took a turn for the worse. (Did you see the photo of the poor boy in a huge lampshade?) And getting him to take two large antibiotic capsules a day isn't something I was looking forward to. But I have found a method that works, that involves Vienna sausages. I hollow one out with a plastic straw and slip the cap inside.  Then I pretend like I won't give it to him... but I let him steal it! And yams it down quick! So far, he is none the wiser that a large turquoise capsule goes down with it. I hope he doesn't catch on, because otherwise he is a bear when it comes to taking medication. Now I gotta stock up on Vienna sausages. He has another 13 days to go...

• Love 2

Question before I go to bed: am I a hardass for looking at the cast of Survivor: Winners at War and thinking Natalie is the only "true" Racer that was cast?

Apologies, but there's no general "Past Seasons" thread. Not much going on with me at the moment. I'm not scratching myself raw waiting for TAR32, but I am very annoyed.

Thinking out loud about the future of this show, not ratings-wise, but more on a practical level. With coronavirus affecting so many countries worldwide, has Amazing Race become untenable to produce? No Korea, no Italy, no Asian countries of any kind, really. The show itself is a poster child for community transmission ("interact with the locals, search through a crowded marketplace").

Basically, has it hung on all these years only to be killed off by a pandemic?

1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

Basically, has it hung on all these years only to be killed off by a pandemic?

I sincerely hope not.  Despite all it's faults and for all the recent stupid ideas that they have implemented in later seasons, it still remains in my opinion, the sole "reality" television show worth watching.

Corona might halt production until it's run it's course, and (assuming it leaves human surviors) the race can return when the danger is passed.

I'm more worried about whether I, on immunosuppressants for the last year, will survive it when it comes! 

• Love 2