Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

Lunch was not the great success.

The stir-fried vegetables were fine.  I over-cooked the chicken, and under-cooked the plantain.  When I gave the plantain another shot, I managed to overcook that as well.  Still, everything ended up tasting fine.

Now, the cassava.  I peeled it and cut it into sections, then boiled it in salted water for 20 minutes.  It was very slightly hard, but also was starting to crack open along it's length.  So, it could take a bit more cooking, but not much!

It tasted great!!  I'll try this again, and soon.  Maybe I'll cut it into slightly smaller pieces; maybe I'll give it another minute or two.  Maybe it can be eaten unpeeled, just scrubbed like a potato? Might not be wise, in case the skin contains more cyanogenic glucosides?   

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Frying might also be tasty! 

Yes, cassava chips would be nice.  

Around here, we see cassava pone a lot.  But that's made from cassava flour, not from fresh cassava sticks.

• Love 1

Glad to know you're well. Would be terrible to lose you to a root vegetable after all you've been through.

It's Spring break, I took my son over to the bay and we got a great view of harbor seals and their brand new pups.  So very sweet. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Honeycocoa said:

Would be terrible to lose you to a root vegetable after all you've been through.

Heh!

I bought another stick of cassava yesterday, to try making cassava chips.  Then, a the deli, they had cassava on the menu!  So, I had some for lunch yesterday as well!  (Theirs was slightly better than mine.)

• Love 3

Quick question, not related to TAR even tangentially: when I look up My Activity Stream/Content I Posted In . . . is it possible to just have the thread titles displayed, without the first few lines visible? I keep squinting to avoid Avengers: Endgame spoilers, but I might slip up before Sunday.

Also: still open to meeting other TAR fans in NYC to shoot the breeze. Wouldn't even need a 
"live" episode. 😊

• Love 1

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread before. I feel like posting about Becca and Floyd crossing that busy street, and thought it made more sense to post it here than in their thread, because it's not race related.

My sister lived in California. She had for years, but we were very close and spoke on the phone 3-4  times a week.

In late December, she was hit by a car while crossing in a crosswalk on a busy street. Nowhere near as busy as that one in the show, though. She was flown by helicopter to a trauma center, where she was determined to be in a deep coma and brain dead. I found out about it on Christmas morning. She died on December 30. 

I'm only mentioning this because I kind of cringed watching Becca and Floyd cross that street. I've seen some people post that was the 'proper' way to do it, but you never know.

I've always been careful to look both ways when crossing a street. But now I check and double check. Thanks.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mikewho said:

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread before. I feel like posting about Becca and Floyd crossing that busy street, and thought it made more sense to post it here than in their thread, because it's not race related.

My sister lived in California. She had for years, but we were very close and spoke on the phone 3-4  times a week.

In late December, she was hit by a car while crossing in a crosswalk on a busy street. Nowhere near as busy as that one in the show, though. She was flown by helicopter to a trauma center, where she was determined to be in a deep coma and brain dead. I found out about it on Christmas morning. She died on December 30. 

I'm only mentioning this because I kind of cringed watching Becca and Floyd cross that street. I've seen some people post that was the 'proper' way to do it, but you never know.

I've always been careful to look both ways when crossing a street. But now I check and double check. Thanks.

How tragic.  I am so sorry for your loss.  And California is a place (we used to live there) where ALL traffic is supposed to yield to pedestrians.  Watching them cross must have brought up some really painful memories for you.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mikewho said:

Very sorry to hear about your loss, @mikewho. I am the youngest in my family, but I wasn't always. Will be 20 years this November since our baby brother died, and I know how the death of a sibling can linger.

still check both ways before I cross every street, especially since moving to Vancouver, Canada. What is alarming to me is when multiple people have no desire to even look up and check before stepping into the crosswalk: they're too busy staring slack-jawed at their goddamn phones! Like, how can a person be so invested in their screens as to not even look up to see if there are oncoming vehicles??!! So unbelievably alarming.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, mikewho said:

I found out about it on Christmas morning. She died on December 30. 

What a sad story.  You have my sympathy.  This kind of tragedy is always by it's very nature such a surprise, too.  My mum was vacationing in Florida once, with friends.  While crossing to a coffee shop one morning, one of the guys was struck by a car and badly injured. Fortunately, he survived.  What might have contributed to this was...

2 hours ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

still check both ways before I cross every street...

So do I, but when visiting the USA (where they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road), my instinctive check is all backwards!  (Right / Left / Right).

2 hours ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

...they're too busy staring slack-jawed at their goddamn phones!

It's evolution in action.  The smart ones will survive.

• Love 2
On 4/13/2019 at 11:41 AM, Netfoot said:

Ok, trying something new.

I just bought a stick of cassava.  No idea how to cook it.  I don't have an oven, so... boiled? Fried?  Microwaved?

Ideas appreciated.

With cassava, you can cut it up and fry it just like you would French fries

On 5/3/2019 at 6:35 PM, Netfoot said:

So do I, but when visiting the USA (where they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road), my instinctive check is all backwards!  (Right / Left / Right).

Lol, I fondly remember ushering you around NYC. The right/left/right thing made me laugh each time.   I'm still impressed that you survived the weekend.

(And, hello old friend.    I just popped in here for the first time in eons and was so pleased to be able to get a full update on you.  Congrats on the weight loss! You should be very proud of yourself.  Please give Buddy an extra hug for me!)

• Love 1
(edited)

mamaT !!

So lovely to hear from you.  Yes, I think you must have pulled me back onto the curb (out from under the wheels of a cab) at least three times!  Thanks again, for that!  Wouldn't have enjoyed the weekend -- and your company -- half as much, otherwise.

Sorry to tell you that the 91 lbs is right back where it came from... probably.  I recently found myself on some pretty nasty medications which causes you to put on weight, and also become extremely hungry all the time (which also puts on weight).  And I've not been able to do much exercise, so the weight is probably back on again.  Haven't weighed recently, but...

However, I do have every intention of starting all over again, after I am home. Once I'm no longer on the nasty meds, and I am able to walk, of course.

Fortunately, (fortunately ?!??) I'm having an operation (actually, two) on Thursday which should greatly reduce if not eliminate the need for these medications.  I will be in hospital for a few days, and poor little Budweiser...

buddy.thumb.jpg.0751073390dc830fa87375f266777d9f.jpg

...has to go to the kennel.  He doesn't even know it yet.  And he probably won't mind, the fickle little monster!  He will be having fun at the RSPCA, while I'm being sliced open!  But monster or no, he will get plenty of snugs and cuddles before he goes in and again when he comes out.

I hope you'll pop in at least once more to tell us all what you're up to these days. We occasionally see some of the old crowd popping in -- mpstar gives us some news from time to time.  Sometimes I think I'm just about the only person who posts in this forum regularly.

So spill!  Wossa news?

Edited by Netfoot
Correct Link to Buddy
  • Love 1

Mikewho, I'm so sorry. You never know when you're going to be reminded of something like that. My son is currently learning how to drive and we live near an intersection where someone was hit - early morning sun in the eyes etc. but still, I find myself VERY focused on traffic safety these days.

MamaT nice to hear from you! ( and MPstars update was great)  Hi Lantern7 , it would be fun to meet up and watch, but I'm still on the other coast.

Netfoot, I'll be thinking of you on Thursday. Will you be in the Hospital long? I swear almost everything is outpatient now, please let us know how you're doing. I still think of you ever damn time there's a hurricane, and then I reassure myself that no, he's not in those islands. Glad the cassava didn't get you. Do take good care.

'

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Honeycocoa said:

I'll be thinking of you on Thursday. Will you be in the Hospital long? I swear almost everything is outpatient now, please let us know how you're doing. I still think of you ever damn time there's a hurricane, and then I reassure myself that no, he's not in those islands. Glad the cassava didn't get you. Do take good care.

Thank you.  I go in today at 2:00 PM, so they can do their last minute tests, X-rays, etc. Then, they will (presumably) do the operations tomorrow morning. I was told that I'd normally be on my way home in two days, but because the drugs I'm taking are quite nasty they want to keep me a while to make sure I'm recovering properly. They expect it will be about four days. Then six weeks recuperating at home (not allowed to drive) but hopefully will be feeling fine much sooner than that.

I'll try to let you know how it goes.

ETA:. Testing...  Yes, I can log in from my phone.  Here's hoping nobody nicks it!

Edited by Netfoot
Trying phone
  • Love 2

@Netfoot I don't post often, but have been reading your posts for many years (back into TWoP days). As someone who has had more than her fair share of surgeries, I am sending you my best good vibes that all goes well and you are feeling well again very soon. Don't do too much, too soon. 

• Love 2

I'm in QEH, feeling very miserable.  Not looking forward to this at all.  Feeling drowsy but it's too early to go to bed yet.  Dinner was beef (tasty, but tough and cold) served with plain chips and mayo-less slaw, and a cup of a pale grey, lukewarm beverage I couldn't identify.  Cutting the beef was fun, seeing as the only utensil that was provided was a teaspoon...

Meds at six tomorrow morning.  First surgeon starts around half ten, second takes over around noon.  They promise it's going to hurt.  

Little Buddy, where are you when I need you?  Making friends and causing disruption down at the RSPCA, that's where!

• Love 5

I don't know which symbol to use, @Netfoot!  Part of your post is sad, part is funny -- maybe I should just "like" it.

I do hope all goes well tomorrow with the surgery, and that they'll give you a proper knife for your food.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Cutting the beef was fun, seeing as the only utensil that was provided was a teaspoon...

Oh dear, are we sure they haven't taken you into custody?

OK Netfoot! Heal well! Sending you groovy good vibes from California!

They weighed me yesterday.  It looks like I in the last 4 months I put back on 43 of the pounds I worked so hard to lose!  But they weighed me again this morning, and apparently I lost 16 pounds, just last night!

Last night was not too bad.  The bedside light is decorative, but non-functional, and the mattress and pillow are made of a leathery vinyl.  No sheet or blanket to cover with but it wasn't cold.  Still slept reasonably well, when they stopped waking me up to tell me to get some rest.  Ok, to be truthful, the bedside light isn't decorative either.

Breakfast is a few pills swallowed with spit.  Then I have to wash with some special soap and put on a robe that exposes my arse to the public gaze.

Whyis it that they want the opening at the back when it's the front they will be working on?  And how come medical science has reached the point where they can transplant organs, but they can't come up with a robe that doesn't mortify you?  There's a Nobel prize for Medicine, just waiting for some clever fashion designer to pick up!

• Love 3
(edited)

Crap!  I'm home again.

No beds in ICU so the surgery is off.  Maybe tomorrow, if a bed frees up. Otherwise it will be next month.

I don't need this.

Edited by Netfoot
Because this crappy software doesn't know that you should have TWO spaces after a full-stop.

Thanks everyone, for your kind thoughts.

Netfoot, sending good thoughts your way.

I have a friend in Texas who went into the hospital on Monday for surgery. Then the surgeon won't be available till Friday. They're keeping him till then. He's already dreading the mountains of paper work and all the phone calls between himself, his insurance company, his additional insurance, and his workman's comp after all this is over. They always seem to fight over who's going to pay for what.

He sent me a text saying, 'Until then, they just to intend to take all my organs out and scrub them with antibiotics.'

• Love 1
(edited)

Went and collected Bud from the RSPCA.  No reason he should spend another night in there unless he has to.

MVIMG_20190509_105556.thumb.jpg.f568ffdd39ce4a7b3069dc4018734b1e.jpg

If they call me back tomorrow, I will drop him back at the RSPCA on the way. Frankly, am I totally sanguine about them calling me to do surgery on a Friday afternoon, going into a half-staffed weekend?  Not so much.

2 hours ago, mikewho said:

He sent me a text saying, 'Until then, they just to intend to take all my organs out and scrub them with antibiotics.'

Gaa!  That sounds awful!

My surgeries are relatively minor.  Trouble is not the surgery, but the underlying condition, and the drugs that I'm taking to fight it.  They fear anesthetic recovery may be compromised. But this the third postponement, and if it isn't done tomorrow, that will be the 4th.  But the more they postpone the worse it gets and the greater the risk the next time out.  I just want to get it done! Between you and me, I don't think it's going to help anyhow, but you got to make the effort, right?

(Wow, I really shouldn't ever shave.  My Mom had it right when she said "I like your beard!  It hides your face!")

Edited by Netfoot
Grumble Full-Stop Space Space Grumble
  • LOL 2

Wow, I've "known" you on line for a very long time Netfoot, , you are a completely different person without a beard. Interesting how people can change their looks if they want to. Buddy looks so innocent!

My mom was supposed to get a knee replacement once. She did her pre op appointments the day before. They day of surgery I took her in and they postponed her because she had a 1/4 inch scab on her knee. It had obviously been there the day before and the nurse had missed it. Scabs are full of bacteria and  it was right where the incision would have been.  She never re scheduled. Fortunately her knee doesn't hurt, she just moves very slowly.

Hoping you can have a good meal, a good nights rest and all goes well tomorrow!

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, the surgeon just called -- no luck today.  He and the anesthetist are travelling next week and won't be back for three weeks.  So in the mean time relax, keep taking the steroids, immunosuppressants, etc, and don't worry about it.

(Assuming they finally do decide to do the op early next month, it will be at just the time the family needs to be concentrating on the arrival of Chloe's baby! Lovely!)

20 hours ago, Honeycocoa said:

Buddy looks so innocent!

That wicked little so-and-so!  He is eeevil!  But ultra sweet and snuffly.  I must really take a few more photos of his naughty little butt.  He used the clean laundry to make a nest, again!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

Ah, Sorry you have to wait another 3 weeks.  Are the surgeon and the anesthetist traveling together to work? ( around the island?) or are they off on vacation? Those are some limited medical resources you are working with, friend.  Hope all goes well with the new baby.

I think my husband and son just noticed that tomorrow is Mothers Day. I expect they'll be some quick shopping this afternoon, fortunately I've learned to be pretty clear about what I'd like. makes thing easier for everyone. I'm taking my mom to Stars on Ice tomorrow afternoon, we'll both be happy.

have a good weekend!

• Love 1

No, they're travelling separately.  Not sure what they are doing -- work/leisure -- but they are off-island.  I think one gets back before the other, but I need them both, so...

• Love 1

Wow, netfoot, I'm starting to think your doctors are just messing with you.  You dont actually need surgery, they just enjoy your company so much that they just keep you hanging around.  Seriously, though, all of these delays must be driving you a bit mad.  I'm so sorry.

So, here's a quick recap of my life since we last "chatted": I've gotten older, and fatter, and much (Much) happier. (These things are not neccesarily related). My luv (8years next week) and I have been traveling the US for the last several years managing B&Bs. It has been a great adventure,  allowing us to live in some lovely places just long enough to explore them thoroughly and then we move onto the next cool place.  Several weeks ago, we decided to take a "break" from work and we are now spending the next 6 months or so traveling, exploring and relaxing through Mexico.  We are having a blast.   This lifestyle is so enormously different than my previous one. It's sometimes hard to reconcile.  Son1 is still a shit (actually, as a human, he is very cool. Successful, funny, smart....it's just in the son department that he is severely lacking.  He still hasn't gotten past the divorce and has decided he no longer needs to be involved with either parent.  My heart was broken, but has since healed and I have come to terms with it).  Son2 is amazing!  Living in NYC with a career he enjoys, politically and socially aware and active and just an all around good guy. I'm very proud of him.    

Today is Mothers Day in the US, so I dont want to disagree with your Mum, but I think you look very handsome all clean shaven.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mamaT said:

Today is Mothers Day in the US, so I dont want to disagree with your Mum, but...

It's Mothers Day here too, and my mother was always right.  I know so, because she told me so!  

I'm so glad to hear that the adventure continues!  You deserve some sugar as a reward for your labours, so your news makes me smile.  Glad to hear your boys are doing well; sorry that you aren't on the best terms with #1.  You did your best by them both, witness their successes. In time, I hope, #1 Son will come to understand that and accept that sometimes, you have to do your best by yourself!

The local hospital is notorious, but (as my GP says), they do save hundreds of lives every day, with very little in the way of resources.  And in fact, my surgery was not  an emergency.  But it's been postponed four times now, and with each postponement it becomes more critical.

They told me on Thursday that if it had been an emergency they would have managed to do it somehow.  So, I guess the plan is to continue putting it off until it is an emergency!  

All part of the price for living in paradise...

Don't wait so long between visits!   

• Love 1

Just ordered Biggles book #98 out of a total of 101.  Previously, the cheapest I could find this was $754.08, just found a hardback copy in "Very Good" condition for well south of $100! Never expected to get a chance at a copy of this. Sure hope the sale goes ahead... You'd be surprised how often second hand book sales fall trough. Even the reputable second hand book sellers are essentially all crooks.

Also:  A selfie with my boy, taken yesterday (Sunday), when the guys got together to fly gliders at the cliff:

buddy-selfie.thumb.jpg.ab64878899485050e23315c840310a16.jpg

Buddy is the handsome one.  He isn't usually cooperative when it comes to standing still long enough to take his photo.  But he's quite willing to jump into your lap if it means he gets a chance to dig his claws into your nuts. Notice the grimace...

We had a grand old time, and it was well over an hour after dark when we finally pulled up stakes and went home.  The only person who didn't get a chance to fly was me.  Because someone jumped on my Zagi and destroyed the starboard carbon fiber spar in a way I didn't know was humanly possible. Can you guess who that was? (New CF spar tubes on order!)

The Booby is also grounded because of an aileron servo issue.

• Love 2

Dammit!  Customs has just grabbed my Biggles book and "initiated the clearance process."

Second hand books usually get waived through.  I guess the price of this one (US$75) raised some eyebrows somewhere.  So, at the very least I'll have to pay the 17.5% excise fee which will come to $26.25-ish, plus the damned handling fee of $23.50, all of which increases the overall cost of the (already expensive) book by ⅓, oh and I nearly forgot the damned, thieving ASYCUDA fee, which I believe now stands at $15, the larcenous bastards!

< ¡ grrrr ! >

In other news, I went searching for something in my Model Aeroplane Cupboard, and to my surprise discovered 24 models waiting for me to get around to them.That's right, twenty-four! Some of which I still don't remember laying in the supplies for! From the unique, 94" span Granville Brothers Gee Bee Model Z to the beautiful 42" de Havilland Dragon Rapide. Seven of the 24 are rebuilds/repairs, the rest have never been on the building board.

Also, here is a link to a recent photo of Buddy, wagging his tail.  I provide a link rather than inserting the photo, because if you click the photo he actually wags his tail!  Some new feature of the camera I wasn't previously aware of.  Of course the nasty little rotter absolutely refused to look at the camera for the photo.  Now I look through the album, I found a couple more puppy-photos with "motion".  If I could only figure out how to turn it on and off; it seems to decide for itself.

• Love 4

Well, Customs have released the book.  It will cost me $59.75 to get it.  😧  This added to the initial high price, makes this the most expensive one so far!  Three more to go, one on offer for north of $500 (fat chance), and the last two listed as "unavailable".

Mean time, I have begun construction of a conventional glider for the slope.  
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHZLkyVPNjpZZaGw7
It doesn't look like much yet, but the wing is almost complete (didn't turn out too bad) and the fuselage is next, and should go fairly quick. Also, some parts have just arrived to help me rejuvenate my ancient Zagi flying wing, some 19½ years old. Will pick them up same time as the book.

No word about the surgery, but don't expect them back from abroad until this weekend, so hopefully I will hear something next week.

• Love 2

Strangely...

The Biggles book I paid the high price of US$75 for, arrived in a box with several other Biggles books, copies of which I already own.  Going by my records and what I paid for my copies, the extra books would cost US$91.24 and that does not include the value of the one book I ordered.

Looking back at the order, I now notice it does say in the finest of fine print that a selection of books would be sent, so my bad for not noticing that.  What is strange, is the inclusion of Biggles scores a bull in such a selection for US$75, when the cheapest price I have seen it selling at up to now was over $750 on it's own!

Anyway, now I have 98 of the 101 originals, with, regrettably, little or no chance of acquiring the remaining three.

• Love 1

Take FIVE!

Surgery scheduled for next Wednesday.  We'll see!

Addendum to the Biggles book story:  When I received it, I took it out of the box all wrapped in bubble-wrap, and after examining it, I took it into the bedroom and put it on the bed.  Later, I wandered back in there, just in time to see Budweiser eating my new $600+ book!!

You know how some people have an irresistible need to pop all the bubble-wrap they meet? Buddy is one such people.  So, to be fair, he wasn't eating the book, he was eating the bubble-wrap the book was wrapped in. But I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't rescued it just then, the book itself would have been for the worst.  

Latest price for same book now $600+, hence my comment above.  Still don't know how I got my copy, along with $90+ worth of other books, all for $75!  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Netfoot said:

just in time to see Budweiser eating my new $600+ book!!

Augh!!!  Glad you were able to rescue the book!  I probably wouldn't have needed the surgery you (finally!  again!) have scheduled for next week.  I would have just had a heart attack right there! 

Seriously, fingers crossed the surgery actually happens, and that all goes well!

• Love 1

Thanks, @BROWNCOAT.

I'm not much worried about the operation per se, but the underlying condition is one that likes to shut down your lungs and put you on a ventilator.  Since the anesthetist will be deliberately shutting down my breathing and putting me on a vent for the duration of the operation, there is a chance I won't be able to restart breathing when I wake up.  Should that happen, I'll be stuck on the vent for ever, until atrophied muscles and infected bed-sores take me away.  Which I understand takes a little over five years.  

Oh, and it is illegal in this country to take someone off a ventilator if they can't sustain breathing on their own, so if I decide I want to come off, no doctor, nurse or anyone else will take me off, because it would be an immediate case of manslaughter to do so.

Re-stocking the fridge, Just bought 20 chicken breasts, 30 hamburger patties... and a new kettle. Old kettle died last night meaning I couldn't start the day with my usual coffee.  Probably explains why I threatened to kill that guy in the Toyota down near PriceSmart!  That, or the steroids... Also bought three more jars of coffee.

Went down and booked Buddy back in to the RSPCA from Tuesday next.  And there was a literal barrel of puppies in there!  It was the bottom of a 55 gal. plastic drum, and there were at least ten fat little pups, maybe more, all higgly-piggly.  I looked in and said "Oh!  A bucket of fun!" and everyone laughed.  And the owner of the bucket said "A bucket of work, you mean!" with a smile.  I'm a complete dolt, because I didn't take a picture of the cutest thing I've seen all week.

• Love 3
(edited)

Budweiser...

tom-dooley-dog.thumb.jpg.1b499dc8c3f6de13fde2cf964574df10.jpg

A.K.A. Tom Dooley.  One of these days I'm going to get a sane doggie!

In fact, I promised Bud a puppy for his birthday.  Not that I need more children... Come to think of it, I promised Bud a puppy for his last birthday and never delivered. Trouble is, there is nowhere for Buddy to go if anything happens to me.

(Stocking up on supplies for The Interregnum.  Coffee, cokes, meat, rice, prescription meds, Toblerone...)

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 1

Bud just incarcerated. Here he is yesterday evening, full tummy, snoozing, completely oblivious:

sleepy-buddy.thumb.jpg.e7d86ac6e042a0be1f0d113ca770e5e2.jpg

Little blighter was thrilled as usual!  Here's a pic of him pacing around, waiting on his new best friend, the kennelman:

bud-to-jail.thumb.jpg.34e46d51df0a49b9ef9ad5bf44d4da05.jpg

Hope to bail him out next Monday, if everything goes according to plan.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Bud just incarcerated. Here he is yesterday evening, full tummy, snoozing, completely oblivious:

sleepy-buddy.thumb.jpg.e7d86ac6e042a0be1f0d113ca770e5e2.jpg

Little blighter was thrilled as usual!  Here's a pic of him pacing around, waiting on his new best friend, the kennelman:

bud-to-jail.thumb.jpg.34e46d51df0a49b9ef9ad5bf44d4da05.jpg

Hope to bail him out next Monday, if everything goes according to plan.

Sending positive vibes your way! 

• Love 1

Thanks, @Spunkygal.  A little nervous, I will admit.

Will miss TAR tomorrow.  Hopefully, I'll be back home before next Wednesday, and can catch up. Will try to log in from a mobile device in a day or two, and let you guys know how it went. Expect to be in ICU tomorrow, and not sure if they will let me have a phone/ tablet/ laptop/ etc.

• Love 4

Operation(s) successful, they tell me!  

Unfortunately, I was run over by steamroller on my way back to SICU afterwards... Nothing else could possibly explain this pain! My hair hurts! 

Will probably stay pretty quiet for a while but wanted you to know I made it through and I am off the ventilator, and it's all over bar the screaming and shouting and crying.

Will see you later.

• Love 12

Still alive and trying not to kick too much.  They are giving me good pain meds but I would not refuse more! 

Lots of tubes and wires removed but a few still to go.  Would send a selfie but this camera takes a photo too big to upload.  Prolly for the best -- doubt I look too good right now.  

They say that I'm  making great progress but I still feel pretty crook.  Doubt I'll be back home in four days like promised. Can barely lift up a cup of "tea" far less make myself a chicken stir-fry.

So Buddy will get an extended vacation at Doggie Butlins.  Missing the little monster so much.  I think I will make a mint of money by offering people webcams at the kennel.  That way they can keep their eyes on their pets while I get rich charging them by the day!

Gotta go.  Gotta suck balls through a tube.  That sounds worse than it really is.

• Love 4

So glad you're on the mend, Netfoot! I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I've read much of this thread, and been quite concerned about the postponement of your surgery, over and over. I'm sorry you're in pain and missing Buddy. I hope your tolerance of both states is short-lived. Thank you for keeping us updated! Feel much better, very quickly, please!!

• Love 2

Thanks for supportive words, everyone.  Just been woken up and told to get some rest. (That always kills me!) But then I've been having nightmares, so it's ok.  Not scary monsters, just lost on my bike and can't find my way home.

Yes @Spunkygal, I do exactly what they say and more.  They want me to walk around the room twice, I do it three times if I can and they approve.  Even if it makes no sense, and hurts, I do it.  Exception: done eating rice and bread while blood sugar is in the stratosphere!

Better get back to sleep now.  Got a bed bath to look forward to at 4:00 AM.  All the machines are talking to each other.  Bebebeep! Bebeep! You'ld think it would be maddening, but surprisingly not.  

• Love 5

Three drains out!  First two were no trouble, last one was a doozy!  One more to go.

They used a 10-penny nail to take blood but they used a 6-pennynail to numb the site first.  

Damnit, it's time to suck balls again. 

The nurses and doctors are all eating curry.  I got three chicken nuggets and a cup of sugary tea.  Why so much sugars and carbs for someone with blood sugar in double digits?

Apparently I have "big lungs." They don't meet in the middle, they overlap.  I don't know what to make of that particular piece of news...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1