Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

Woke up.  Fell out of bed.  Dragged a comb across my head.....

No, I lied about the comb!

Walked five miles.  Peeled the bandages off my feet.  Took a shower.  Put on a rude tee shirt. Went to my weekly weigh-in.

Two pounds UP.

So much for the "Walk less, eat more" plan!

Went and bought a $280 pair of hiking shoes and 18 pairs of socks.

Now drinking a decaf latte with Stevia and eating a fucking SCONE!

• Love 2

Just acquired my 97th Biggles book.  Only four more to complete the set, but the remaining four are not cheap.

I check periodically.  I've seen several books valued as high as $394.12 fall to within my grasp, which is how I managed to acquire the last few.  Why, only today, Biggles Scores a Bull fell from $386.24 to $323.24, while Biggles and the Deep Blue Sea is now $517.97 both of which is a bit more than I am willing to cough up!

The other two are not available at present, but last prices were $801.99  for Biggles - Air Ace, and $1,230.12 for the unfinished Biggles Does Some Homework, of which only 625 copies were ever printed.

"With considerable reluctance Bertie backed away from ......"

-- Cpt. W. E. Johns

Edited by Netfoot

Previous loss 65 lbs. + 10 lbs. this week = 75 lbs. down in 155 days.  (Yesterday was exactly 5 months since I started.)

Dr. K. is angry with me and sent me off to eat curried rice, jug-jug, and yam pie.  Yeah, right.  That's gonna happen!

This is the biggest weekly loss I've had since I began.  Previous record was 7 lbs. in one week.  Had peaked at 10 miles walked each day in two 5 mile sessions, but having extreme difficulty keeping that up.  With considerable effort (and two Panadol) I can get the morning 5 miles done, but I just can't seem to get past 2-3 miles on an evening.  Feet still killing me, but gradually improving.  Bandages are coming off, and blisters are getting better.  Good thing, because the Hypafix bandages I ordered from Amazon arrived today... Here is a photo of said bandages:

IMG_20181206_105724.thumb.jpg.e167184e6296588a2451fcc8f2626513.jpg

Started actually counting calories.  I'm now working to keep the calories below 950 per day.  I discovered that 25% of my daily calories were coming from the milk in my (copious) cups of tea, and another 25% was from the small pack of salted peanuts Budweiser and I share as a midnight snack before bed.  Switched to Almond Milk (and it makes the tea taste like an antelope's afterbirth) but I've still got 28 packets of peanuts, and I won't throw them out, so Puppy & Daddy will continue midnight snacking for another 4 weeks or so.

New Pixel 3 arrived last night!  Beeoooteeeful!  My 6½ year old GNEX is now going into retirement.  Poor faithful thing!  Paid someone $5 to "cut" the SIM-card, now I have to wait until both phones are fully charged to begin the transfer process.  So the old phone has no SIM and the new phone has not yet been initialized.  TG for WhatsApp/Wi-fi.

Jug-jug is a traditional Christmas dish in Barbados.  

You'll need:

• 8 cups pigeon peas (not sweet peas)
  • 1 cup guinea corn flour
  • ½ lb salt kine (fatty cuts are fine)
  • ¼ lb pork (fatty cuts are fine)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2-3 onions
  • 4 tbsp chopped herbs (thyme, chives, etc)
  • 4 cups of water
  • Sale Salt/pepper to taste

Soak the salt kine for 1-2 hours to remove as much salt as possible, changing the water at least once.
Boil the pork in water; once tender, add the salt kine, pigeon peas, onions & herbs.
When the peas are soft, strain the mixture, reserving the liquid. 
Mince the meat, peas & herbs, etc, to a fine consistency. 
Cook the guinea corn flour in the reserved stock for about 10 min.  Stir constantly.
Add minced mixture, cook for 30 mins medium heat, until stiff consistency is achieved.  Stirring regularly. 
Stir in half the butter, remove from the stove and pour into a dish.  Smooth with the remaining butter.

jugjug1525-450x303.jpg.2fc190524d5103e4417cc96b10d6bffb.jpg

It looks like shit, but it tastes like heaven!  (Especially to a Bajan at Christmas time.)

Edited by Netfoot

Previous loss 75 lbs. + 4 lbs. this week = 79 lbs. down in 162 days.  79 lbs. was the target I set myself, with a target date of 3rd January, but I did it 21 days early.  The second phase will be another 40 lbs.  But I will freewheel for a while, and start again after the holidays.

So, on Christmas day I'll be eating Quality Street chocolates!  But I have to limit myself to 27 pieces.  That way, I can drink coffee/tea all day and share a midnight snack with Buddy (peanuts) and still keep it under 1500 calories.  Daily calorific intake varies wildly, from 2400 (unusual) down to 650 (2-3 times a week) averaging at about 1100 per day.  Boxing day I have lunch with some friends and there will be jug-jug!

Buddy also went to the doctor today, for his annual physical.  He is in fine form, but he is getting fat.  "Plump", said the vet.  He needs to lose 6 lbs, the lard-bottom!  And the way he behaved when he saw a couple of other doggies was disgraceful!

UP one pound this week, but my doctor says it may be due to a change she made in my daily meds last week.  Anyway, net loss is now 78 lbs.  And next weigh-day coming immediately after the two feast-days!  That can't be good...

• Love 1

bajan-christmas.thumb.jpg.d776c30b0fa3b3ab6e6c727badf6f0d7.jpg

Budweiser and I wish you all a Merry Christmas with lots of feasting and holiday spirits -- like rum!

bud_dad_christmas18.thumb.jpg.bd94a32d624d93a571dafb28ca55f04e.jpg

(Puppy won't cooperate when it comes to photos.  Runs away when you want to include him, or barges in when you don't!)

• Love 4

This was a week of indulgence.  

I exceeded my usual calorific intake every day for the week.   I walked on average a mile per day less than usual.  Over the last two days I ate a 1¼ lb. box of Quality Street chocolates all by myself (with the exception of one solitary toffee that I ceremoniously consigned to the bin).  

And yesterday for lunch I had two cokes before the meal, then a full plate of ham, turkey, pigeon peas 'n' rice, jug-jug, pepper-pot, and roasted vegetables including broccoli, courgettes, me­l­on­gene, beetroot, peppers, and stuff I couldn't readily identify.  Desert was a slice of Bajan great-cake with vanilla iced cream.  And an iced coffee (made with condensed milk, therefore dee-licious!) to finish.  Oh, I nearly forgot to tell you about the three flavours of fudge -- chocolate, vanilla & coconut -- and how I had a piece of each flavour and two pieces of the coconut!

This morning:  An appointment with the scale.  Dr. Kristi said "How are you feeling?"  "Fat!" I replied.  Well, I was right, because I've been fat for years, but this morning when I jumped on the sale, Dr. K. started to laugh.  TWO POUND DOWN!  This fixes last week's small gain and betters it!  I'm now one pound under my original target weight.  Obviously some strange Christmas Magic involved here!

Previous loss 78 lbs. + 2 lbs. this week = 80 lbs. down in 176 days.  Which, by the way, represents a loss of over 25% of my original body-weight.  Next Friday will be exactly 6 months since I started on this path.  But next Thursday, I am beginning phase two, in which I try to lose an additional 40 lbs.  Well, 39, since I've already lost one of those 40.  And hopefully I won't put it back on by next week.....

• Love 2

Weigh-day.

Previous loss 80 lbs. + 10 lbs. this week = 90 lbs. down in 183 days.  Tomorrow would be exactly six months.  Weight is now 229 lbs, down from a whopping 319.

Dr. Kristi gave me a serious bollicking. Took my BP, stuck my finger to get blood sugar (I assume) and made me pee in a cup.  Apparently, you're not supposed to lose 10 lbs. in a week.  I am dehydrated and my ketones are elevated (obviously, since I'm eating KETO).  She told me I can expect to gain back some weight next week.  She seems to think I decided to lose the 10 lbs. But all the while I am on the scale thinking "Please don't have gained more than one pound!".

Anyway, phase two starts today, and the target is 30 more pounds by 4th April.  That would be 120 lbs off, and a body-weight of 199.  (Can't remember when last I was south of 200, but I think Jimmy Carter was president...)  Although how I'm supposed to lose any weight I don't know.  I had a fruit smoothie, an egg and a bowl of cereal for breakfast.  It's usually one or the other, and mostly the egg because KETO.  And I have instructions to go eat a roti for lunch.

More news: the asshole at the gas station grabbed my debit card info on boxing day and racked up US$528 in internet purchases before I realised it, and could stop the card.  And after I'd stopped it, they tried to use it to top up their phone.  So we got the delivery address for the online purchases and their phone number, so I think they are going to spend some time in a 3rd world prison.  What I want to know is, if I memorize the Card Security Code then remove it from the card (scrape/sand it off or paint it out somehow) does that invalidate the card for swipe/tap to pay transactions?

Otherwise, been pretty sick, with a virus that's making the rounds.  So, I'm going to go add the 8th coat of varnish to two walking sticks I'm working on, and go to bed  for a pre-lunch nap, and dream about roti from IV Play deli. 

Previous loss 90 lbs. 1 lb. UP this week = 89 lbs. down overall.  Damn.  I want to lose 10 lbs. in the next 13 days.  Well, eleven pounds, now!

Also managed to fall heavily, twice this week.  

First time on Monday, when I tripped over something Buddy had dragged out to play with.  Landed on a 55 gal. oil drum and I thought my ribs were busted -- no, fortunately not.  Just very sore to touch. And it only hurts when I breathe.

Second time this morning when hustling along on my walk.  Suddenly just <faceplant>!!  WTFJH?  Skinned my knee, ribs complained about it, and it took me a minute to regain my feet.  But I'm Ok, and Buddy licked my knee for me, so it'll be fine.  (Dog spit is the best antiseptic I know.)  When I got home I noticed a shoelace was undone.  I don't think it was loose when I fell, but can't be sure.

Dr. Kristi says I should take it easy -- walk less and eat more.  Didn't she get the message?  One pound UP!

Previous loss 89 lbs. This week 2 lb. DOWN = 91 lbs. down overall. Time = 197 days.  Wanted it to be 100 lbs. total by next Wednesday, but I doubt I'll lose 9 lbs. in 6 days. 

Bank Holiday weekend coming up!

• Love 1

Weigh-day came a day early this week.  UP one pound.   Previous loss 91 lbs. This week +1 lb. = 90 lbs. net loss. Time = 203 days or 29 weeks. Frankly, I am not too displeased.  I have, in accordance with doctor's orders, been eating much more food, and have not walked for well over a week.  ("Plenty of rest and good nutrition!") So, a single pound gained is better than I was expecting.

You know, I've been battling high body-weight and blood-sugar issues for years, and finally, with a great effort, I got to the point where I'm, 90 lbs down, and my blood sugar is low-normal for many months.  So much so that Dr. Kristi took me off blood-sugar meds from Saturday.  Yesterday I get put on new meds which RAISE your blood sugar and cause weight GAIN.

You just can't win, can you?

Weigh-day came a day early this week.  UP one pound.   Previous loss 91 lbs. This week +1 lb. = 90 lbs. net loss. Time = 203 days or 29 weeks. Frankly, I am not too displeased.  I have, in accordance with doctor's orders, been eating much more food, and have not walked for well over a week.  ("Plenty of rest and good nutrition!") So, a single pound gained is better than I was expecting.

You know, I've been battling high body-weight and blood-sugar issues for years, and finally, with a great effort, I got to the point where I'm, 90 lbs down, and my blood sugar is low-normal for many months.  So much so that Dr. Kristi took me off blood-sugar meds from Saturday.  Yesterday I get put on new meds which RAISE your blood sugar and cause weight GAIN.

You just can't win, can you?

ETA:  I just watched Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury.  The only word I can think of right now, is: STUNNING.

• Love 1

Weigh-day comes again.  I'm NINE pounds UP.  In only 8 days.  That nine pounds?  It too me four weeks of real effort to lose them in the first place.

Previous loss 90 lbs. This week +9 lb. = 81 lbs. net loss. Time = 211 days or 30 weeks. 

I'm gutted.  But not surprised.  The new medication which I was warned would promote raised blood-sugar and weight-gain has also made me ravenously hungry.  I can't stop eating.  I try and be sensible all day long, but by dinner time I can't help but go eat a huge meal.  Dr. Kristi says I should "front-load" the hunger.  So I have been instructed (she offered to actually write a prescription) to eat a huge lunch today.  Specifically, a bowl of soup, a BBQ Half-chicken platter, and a salad on the side!

Meanwhile, I am not allowed to exercise at all, which doesn't help the situation one little bit.  It really upsets Budweiser, too.  When we're up at the club, if I only get to my feet he's so sure we're going for a walk he starts joyfully cavorting around like a lunatic... only to be very disappointed when I sit down again.

So, in summary, I'm on weight-gain medication, I'm ravenously hungry all the time and can't stop eating, and I am not allowed to exercise.  Just wonderful.

After last week's disastrous weigh-in, I suppose I should be overjoyed to report that this week, the weight has remained exactly the same.

Previous loss 81 lbs. This week no change. Time = 218 days or 31 weeks. At least it isn't getting any worse!

Went for a scan yesterday.  They advised me it would be $3,850 but they forgot to tell me about the $400 for the contrast/dye.

But I'm still eating like a hobbit...

Weight remains the same for the third Thursday in a row.  Given recent changes in medication, that's pretty good.  Also cleared to resume exercise, which I started on Monday.  Had to call a halt yesterday though, on account of being rushed to hospital by ambulance, for emergency surgery!  (Life is never dull.)  A "strangulated hernia" or something like that.  Anyway, with a lot of manipulating (and quite a bit of screaming from me) the surgeon was able to "pop" it back where it belonged.  So, emergency surgery was not needed.  Now I have to schedule surgery to repair the hernias that I got as a result of the last surgery I had not being properly closed.  Well, while they're in there, there's a couple other little chores they can do for me at the same time.

So, net weight loss still 81 lbs. 

Pleasant afternoon at the cliff today.  Buddy doing his usual aerialist act on the very edge...  (He's a sweet boy but not too smart...)

IMG-20190217-WA0001.thumb.jpg.e1a4f941a61bdfa9d2a9be559429c054.jpg

Today I was flying the first model aircraft I ever bought, built and flew.  Got it in January, 2000!  It's beat to hell up, but it's a Zagi, so it will never die!

• Love 2

<¡ sigh !>

Intestines strangulated again last night.  Really unpleasant.  Called the surgeon, who talked me through the process of "popping" it back in myself.  Not what I would call fun.  Surgery to permanently fix the problem is two weeks from tomorrow.

Gained 4 pounds this week.  Previous loss 81 lbs. This week 4 UP.  Net loss = 77 lbs in 232 days or 33 weeks.  I have regained 14 pounds that I previously worked very hard to lose.  Saw one of my Saw-Bones yesterday, who says that under normal circumstances he would begin reducing the steroids, which would help the situation, (because they promote weight gain and make you ravenously hungry all the time, which really doesn't help) but because of the impending surgery, he isn't changing the dosage until next month.  By which time I will have regained all the weight I lost.  

In other news:  Well, there isn't any other news.  Life's a beach... which is why your butt-crack is always full of sand.

It's nothing major, they don't have to enter the abdominal cavity.  Just expose the peritoneum, stitch it up so my guts can't herniate any more, and close.  I'd be home by 2:00 PM, were it not for the complications caused by my present drug regimen.  As a result of that, they will keep me overnight for observation (and profit!).  Two weeks from tomorrow.  $12K plus what ever else they can dream up on the day.

Here's hoping the damned thing can stay in place for the next two weeks...

Lost a pound.

Next Friday's operation:  Surgeons are even now discussing what else and all they can "cut" while they have me under.... UPDATE: Not happening next Friday after all!  Why a simple hernia repair when with a little more thought (and a lot more $) they can crack your chest open as well?

16 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Lost a pound.

Next Friday's operation:  Surgeons are even now discussing what else and all they can "cut" while they have me under.... UPDATE: Not happening next Friday after all!  Why a simple hernia repair when with a little more thought (and a lot more $) they can crack your chest open as well?

Wait, what?  Why are they cracking open your chest?

• Love 1

Surgery is now scheduled for the 26th.  Two surgeons will take turns and I'll be 4-ish days in hospital before they let me go home.  

The bad news is that for 6 weeks thereafter I can't lift anything more than 10 lbs, and also for 6 weeks... can't drive!  That's going to be hard.  I will have to walk to the nearest market (which is not far, but isn't much good) for groceries, but I will only be able to buy one carton of milk, one sausage, and one tomato at a time, because anything more will be too much to carry home!

What I should do is lay in supplies of rice, pasta, etc -- things that will keep -- along with tinned foods, and stock my freezer.  But since I'm trying to eat mostly fresh vegetables these days, all those carbs would probably hasten the regaining of all the pounds I worked to lose.  Also, my refrigerator is on the blink, so I bought a new (second hand) one.  The trouble is, the new one is standing in the garage and I can't get it into the house because until after the surgery (and for six weeks thereafter) I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy, so I can't get it up the steps.  (It's OK for me to lift more than 10 lbs. before the operation, but not a refrigerator!)

Life is nothing but complications.

So for a month and a half, I wont be able to

• Take Buddy out for coffee & coconut bread. (I drink the coffee, he Bogarts the coconut bread.)
  • Go up to the club (or cliff) for an afternoon with friends in the fresh air.
  • Collect my packages... which incur a storage fee after the first three days,
  • Enjoy a couple of meals a week from the deli which actually taste good (since I didn't cook them).
  • Etc...

Well, at least I'll be able to send the van to the mechanic, which I've been avoiding because I didn't want to be without it for a few days.

Don't know if to take my laptop/tablet/phone into hospital with me.  Don't want to, unless I can also take a revolver to shoot them when they come and try to steal my stuff.

I considered asking the market to lend me a trolly.  I could take it home after shopping, and bruing bring it back a few days later, when I need to shop again.  Trouble is, it's not a market I usually use... so why should they help someone who isn't a regular customer?

I may just make some sort of cart of my own, if I can't find one.  I need to find two wheels.  Gone (alas) are the days when you could get good wheels off an old pram!

I will get the fridge into the house before I go for the op.  Somehow.  But I'll get it done.

Buddy will have to be kenneled.  When I was spending one night inside I was going to have someone pop by and make sure his food & water was OK.  But if I will be away for several days, I'd better make sure he is properly cared for.  Sh*t!  How will I get him back afterwards?  I won't have the van, and I wouldn't be able to drive it, even if I did!

Every day, this gets more and more of an ordeal!  😞

Edited by Netfoot

So...

Some time after lunch, I retired to bed with a pack of peanuts and my new book (The U-Boat War in the Caribbean by fellow Trini Gaylord Kelshall).  Budweiser joined me and was his sweet, cuddly self.... until the last of the peanuts were gone.  By then I thought 40 winks were in order, so I put up the book, and lay comfortably, enjoying the cool breeze blowing through the window.

Buddy jumped down, lay on the tiles, and wormed his way under the bed like a snake.  He used to do this often, but nowadays, he is plump, and I was surprised he was able to get completely under the bed at all!  It seems he has to lie on his side to fit, rather than his tummy!  (A week in the kennels will help sort that tummy out, I bet,)

For the next 15 minutes I thought dwarves were doing battle with a balrog under there!  There was an incredible amount of noise and much bumping of the mattress from underneath.  Eventually, things quieted, and only the squirming noise of a plump snake-dog making his way out from under, could be heard.  After a couple minutes of this came a "Yap!" of appeal, so I looked over the edge of the bed.  There was Bud, covered with dust-bunnies, with only his head and one front paw out from under, stuck.  I grabbed his paw, gave him a pull, and out he came.  He immediately stuck his head back under, and drew back with the balrog world's tiniest mouse between his teeth.  He then shot off down the passage, and vanished.

Nap now out of the question, I threw on my togs for a walk, but on the way out the door I got sidetracked by a piece of code to download blood glucose readings from my crappy meter, plot a graph, and upload it to my server with scp.  Stupid hosting company allows me to use authentication keys for password-free automated updates, but insists on using a passphrase while generating the key pairs, so I still can't automate the updates!  Anyway, sorted that, and was setting off on my walk when, as I exited the house, I caught this puppy with the guiltiest look on his face you could possibly imagine!

naughty-puppy.thumb.jpg.b8a27e8e382b788a45ff29cc0e8f652f.jpg

Now, I have to check the car from end to end, to see exactly where he has hidden the mortal remains of the balrog, and to remove it to a suitable spot at the end of the garden!

Being a doggy-daddy is an experience not to be missed.

• Love 2

@Netfoot, what an adventurous life you lead with your furry, scavenger roommate! That pic is hilarious. I can just see him needing to be tugged out from under the bed. Hope you found the balrog (a new word for me)! My neighbor across the street has a precious little screech owl living in her back yard who would love to take it off your hands! 

1 minute ago, Spunkygal said:

Hope you found the balrog (a new word for me)!

Obviously, you're not a fan of LoTR or a player of AD&D!  😃

Bud is an accomplished hunter of mice, and my house has a generous supply for him to practice upon.  But this is the longest and loudest fracas between Bud/rodent that I can recall, and by the end of it, I was thinking "It can't be a mouse putting up such a fight!  It must be a mongoose or something, snuck in the house!  Or a balrog from the Mines of Moria..."

Not found it yet.  

• Love 1
On 2/5/2018 at 7:35 AM, jhlipton said:

Mark Burnett (of Survivor) produced a race show called Eco-Challenge (which lasted 9 seasons) and the single season of Expedition: Impossible, in which there were no tasks, just getting from Point A to Point B (both points in extreme landscape, like the side of a mountain, or along a rapids).

Video of Eco-Challenge:

Video of Expedition: Impossible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OPBQl660PI   (I can't embed this video)

I'm so excited that this show is coming back!

https://www.ecochallenge.com/

I loved it too, all the challenges, only real life challenges, and very little of the backstabbing.

I wonder if they will air the episodes all at once, or just one per week?  I hope we get a great thread going.

Their FAQ thread https://www.ecochallenge.com/faq/ doesn't mention when it will start, only that it will air in September (at least as far as I can see it doesn't.)  So cool!  In Figi though, so I wonder if spoilers will be around?  Probably, they always are.

@Netfoot, from your posts above, I imagine you’ve had your surgery and are hopefully home recuperating by now. When you’re up to it, please let us know how it went. Is Buddy back home with you? Did you get the new refrigerator in the house before surgery? I hope all went well and that many of your friends are helping out! Take care! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/8/2019 at 11:44 PM, Spunkygal said:

I imagine you’ve had your surgery and are hopefully home recuperating by now.

Actually, no.

I managed to catch a bad cough -- very bad -- and the anesthetist decided he disn't didn't want to proceed.  So the entire thing was postponed.  I will see one of the surgeons in about 10 days time, and providing all is to his liking he will schedule the op. 

The delay is annoying because they were to reduce my meds as soon as the op. was over.  So the longer it takes, the more lovely steroids I get to enjoy, and the more episodes of 'Roid-Rage I get to endure!  

But at least, in the mean time I have pretty much solved the problem of how to get food to eat for the six weeks after I'm, back from hospital.  I bought a new second-hand refrigerator!

P.S:  I loooove the new theme of PTV ("PrimeTime")!!!  I especially like the way ¾ of the screen is blank (presumably where my ad-blocker does it's job) and I get to interact through a letter-box slot in the middle!   It's great!  Like having a root-canal and an enema at the same time!

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 3
46 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Ok, trying something new.

I just bought a stick of cassava.  No idea how to cook it.  I don't have an oven, so... boiled? Fried?  Microwaved?

Ideas appreciated.

I have heard of it but have never had it or seen it! I did find this info about it. Do not eat raw as it has low levels of cyanide!! https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323756.php

The article does list some ways to prepare it in order to eat. Let us know if you like it.

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Do not eat raw as it has low levels of cyanide!!

I know.  😃  Some varieties are worse than others.  The worst ones from Southa South America are usually referred to as Manioc.  They have to be grated, washed, and the poisonous juice squeezed out.

This variety (which we get around here)

cassava.thumb.jpg.9253b0967fdf06a23fec23197cf5b74f.jpg

is not especially dangerous.

Let us know if you like it.

I've eaten it before, but I've never cooked it before.  It's nice.  One of the many West Indian alternatives to potatoes.  And it's usually baked, but I don't have an oven, so I have to come up with a different way to cook it.

Breadfruit, sweet potato, yam (no, they are not the same), eddoes, tannia, dasheen, shatine, etc...

Edited by Netfoot