Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

I re-watched Nastia's dance and I've come around a bit more on it. I am still confused by the weird meringue like remix of New York, New York and definitely think it made the dance a bit hectic at that point. Also, I think Nastia's costume didn't lend itself to showcasing her kicks and leg work that I suspect was probably very good. That said, I sort of get what Derek was going for. With the song and everything, it was clearly an ode to Old Hollywood and the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers type of dance numbers. 

Agreed. It wasn't my favorite but I think that was largely a fault of that mix of the song - it was frenetic and forcing a lot of that staccato feel to the dance. I could see that mix being used in an interesting hip hop number, but it didn't quite work for me for that foxtrot. I also kind of hated the camera effect in the beginning that had them in black and white but with a weird blue cast to the background. 

I never really like the first week dances, they tend to highlight the stereotyped "thing" about each cast member with the force of multiple exclamation points. Derek and Nastia practice in New York!!!!!!! Charlotte has boobs!!!!!!! Redfoo the LMFAO guy!!!!!! Robert is obnoxiously rich, LOL!!!1!!!!!1!!!!! HAHA THIGHMASTER. Later on when you see who settles in and who doesn't is when the fun usually starts for me.

• Love 2

I had to Google who were referring to as I thought you meant Stacey Keibler!

Stacey Keibler isn't Clooney's only ex who's done the show.

Italian Fashion Model Elisabetta Canalis, an ex after Stacey, I think, was on in the Fall 2011 season--the same 1 as celebs like pro basketball player Metta World Peace (who, I think, changed his name again sometime after the show; he was born Ron Artest & was, at 1 time, an Indiana Pacer); TV Host/Legal Expert Nancy Grace; Actress/Talk Show Host Ricki Lake; Sonny & Cher's Transgender Child, Chaz Bono; & the eventual winner that season, Actor/Motivational Speaker/Iraq War Veteran JR Martinez, among others. Her partner was Val Chmerkovskiy & they were eliminated in Week 2.

I don't know how Noah feels about this, but many people with "disabilities" don't want to be seen as inspiring for carrying on with life with the abilities we have.

Noah makes his living as a motivational speaker, and his web page and foundation are all about "encouraging and motivating others to offer no excuses," so I think he's happy to be portrayed as an inspirational figure.

Rumer surprised me -- really graceful and of course, Val is a wonderful choreographer and leader

Enjoyed most of the dancers, but cannot wait for Charlotte to go. Her "persona" whether really her or not is so demeaning. Plus she cannot dance. Sorry for her partner because he got another dud assignment.

Noah was so inspiring and Sharna did a tremendous job of choreography within limitations. We'll see how it goes.

Ryker, whoever he is, is a fun dancer but I couldn't see much of their footwork. Not cool with that in a competition.

Robert, the Shark, is going through a divorce. Just announced a couple of months ago. Kym and he certainly have chemistry. They'll play that up big-time, whether it's real off-camera or not.

I loathe showmances so I hope they don't but that's just me.

Willow is too young -- sorry, I don't think 14 year olds should be on the show. If it were up to me, the dancers would all be at least 21. But 14????

Michael, Chris, Nastia were all good. Suzanne was ok. Patty was ok but so charming.

I agree with the above poster who said 4 judges is too many, but I'm glad Len is there! Tom and Erin are golden, in my book.

Great to have the show back.

Riker's a 2nd cousin to Julianne & Derek Hough. He's also in a band called R5 (which I've never heard of until he got cast in DWTS) with his brothers. And he was apparently in Glee at some point.

To Stacey's credit, she was MUCH better than Elisabetta, who was a wooden doorknob as a dancer.

I was completely surprised by Bachelor Chris who, as others have noted, was surprisingly good and entertaining given he's a born-and-raised Iowa farmer with no secret dance training in his background.

Suzanne's 68-year-old thighs make me want to buy a Thighmaster, like NOW.

I felt Derek dumbed down that dance so Nastia wouldn't start out (and stay) on top since they're a lock for the finals. Just seeing them as partners makes me root for ANYONE ELSE even more. 

• Love 3

Riker's a 2nd cousin to Julianne & Derek Hough. He's also in a band called R5 (which I've never heard of until he got cast in DWTS) with his brothers. And he was apparently in Glee at some point.

The Houghs are probably remotely related to half the people on the cast.  

Riker is the Disney component.  Disney supports the band and his brother Ross has a Disney channel show (or had, not sure if Austin & Ally is still on).  

Rumer's jaw detracts from her overall beauty and there is nothing she can do about that.

I have no idea what those Facebook posters are going on about. Rumer's jaw is part of her beauty, I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever (and never did, even when I saw pictures of her with her family when she was growing up). 

But I have to say this, I loved Noah.  I found him to be a lovely human being.  And also, pretty handsome too. 

Definitely handsome and lovely. But the best part to me was how hard his kids were cheering him on. They were adorable and so enthusiastic! 

Glee is how I know him. He was a semi-regular performer in an all-boys academy glee club that competed against the main glee club on that show, and some of their songs and performances were the most fun to listen to and watch. He didn't really have any major speaking lines, but he was a strong performer and singer and was definitely a stand-out in that group, which is why I still remember him. I don't know anything about his new band.

That was my thought exactly! When she said she still uses it and how do we think she got those thighs at her age, I thought wow, as ridiculous-looking as that contraption is, if it helped give her those thighs, then sign me up. LOL.

• Love 2

Sinkwriter, do you remember the name of the website?

I certainly do! It's called Enell. Pretty expensive for a sports bra (around $65 U.S.), but in my opinion worth every penny. I use the Enell Sport style (in black, though it looks like they're finally playing with more fun colors instead of just black and white). I plan to get more but as I'm in the process of losing weight I don't want to buy them often, because my size will keep changing and I don't want to spend that kind of money regularly when what I have is still working just fine. It's not the most glamorous-looking thing either, but who cares? Support is the main point of it. I wear it while working out, and if you make sure you get the right size (which needs to be snug -- they have explanations on their website on how to size yourself), everything will be very secure. It took me a couple tries to get used to putting it on (it's a front close bra that I put on like a vest and then fasten it closed from the bottom up), but once I got the hang of it, I loved it. As someone who has struggled with finding sports bras that fit well and give proper support, I find it's pretty remarkable. The only one that has worked well for me. Anyway, I highly recommend it. 

Charlotte, are you listening?  ;)   Forget the duct tape.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

Is anyone else but me sort of pi$$ed that Derek 'changed his mind' and came back for this season??  I would have been happier if Cheryl changed her mind and came back.....I'm getting pretty tired of the Hough family, (do not care for Julianne as a judge) and this season, yet another member of that family is competing??  And whoever said Derek should partner with someone who is not a gymnast, and give Tony the gymnast

up thread is OK in my book!!

Puh-leaze, DWTS, enough already with the Hough-Ho's...

Edited by sandyskyblue
  • Love 10
Give Derek the hamburger bimbo with the inflatable boobs (who can't dance for shit) instead of the Olympian ringer AGAIN. At least ATTEMPT to look like you're not guaranteeing him a spot at the end for once.

Derek threatens to leave every season but he always comes back.  I'm convinced that he goes to TPTB and tells them he'll stay another season if he can pick his partner.  TPTB bow down and say "yes."  I think ole Derek might have backed the wrong horse this season.  Nastia will be good and will last but this might be the season Val wins. 

I have mixed feelings about the Noah situation.  On one hand, why shouldn't he be able to compete on DWTS?  For me, he's as welcome to be there as BoobGirl or the 70 year olds.  (Except 14 year old Willow.  I have major problems with that.)  On the other hand, how on earth can the judges score him and be fair to everyone else?  Do they make allowances in scoring?  Len always says that he has to judge on what he sees, so there's that.  I can't imagine how the Latin dances will be for him and the quick step???  But for his service, his courage and his heart, he gets a 10 from me.  Should be interesting.

No, Julianne should not be a judge as long as her brother is competing.  Period.  

That Tony agreed to that costume astounds me.  Tony, please????

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 6

Having four judges is useless and time consuming.  About half way through the show I checked the time and wondered how the remaining couples were going to be fit in and would they get the same play as the first hour's couples?  Obviously not.  If they are going to have four judges maybe it's time to only allow half of them to speak for each dance instead of all four of them.  It's not as if they are adding anything really constructive with their comments.

I really dislike having additional dancers on with the contestants.  How about the focus is on the contestant and their pro?  It's annoying, distracting and not fair for anyone.  Not all the pairs have them and in most cases they highlight/emphasis any short comings the "celebrity" has.  I wasn't too thrilled when it happened later in the season, but starting it with the very first dance is too soon in my opinion.

Someone mentioned missing the announcer telling us what the dance is - many times even knowing what the dance is I don't recognize it because the pro has changed things up so much it's almost unrecognizable.  So for me having the announcer there or not doesn't make a difference.  Maybe the money they are saving in getting rid of him could be used for other things - better singers etc.

I'm with everyone who mentioned sports' bras for the one young lady.  These are not a new invention and I'm surprised that she wasn't wearing one for her first practice.  I will second the information about the one that Oprah endorsed ... my sister had one and says it's the best one she's ever used.

• Love 4

The foxtrot by Val and Rumer seemed more like a paso to me.  Hard, aggressive, with lots of sharp stops and starts.  I'm not a fan of Val's standard ballroom choreography.  All of those abrupt stops are a big part of his Latin choreography, and I wish he wouldn't bring it into the standard dances.  I wish he could go with the flow, and keep the flow going, of the standard dances like foxtrot.

When Michael Sam publicly came out, I saw a few of his comments in the press and felt he was a classy, charming guy.  I'm quite pleased that DWTS picked him up.  It's great that he's landed on his feet even though the NFL didn't work out for him.  He can move that beautiful booty!  And, he and Peta seem to have a fun friendship.  I hope they last a long time.

• Love 3

So now we have a THIRD Hough family members. Two were bad enough. What did we do to deserve this, people? Seriously.

I like Robert & Kym the best. They're having fun. That's what is the greatest about this show. Patti did her best, but she won't last long. Enjoyed Rumer as well, and she can certainly dance. 

• Love 2

I really dislike having additional dancers on with the contestants.  How about the focus is on the contestant and their pro?  It's annoying, distracting and not fair for anyone.

Back in the day, Len used to call this "mucking about" and would score the dancers down for jacking around killing time before getting to the actual dance. Now every dance has to have a hook. I guess the show thinks America is bored watching true, pure ballroom.

Even cheap sports bras have existed for years. One doesn't have to spend a fortune for one, and even the Kmart label works better than duct tape. But then again, the focus wouldn't be on the boobs, so point taken.

• Love 2

Even cheap sports bras have existed for years. One doesn't have to spend a fortune for one, and even the Kmart label works better than duct tape.

The difference for me is that I'd be happy to buy the cheap sports bras if they actually 1) carried one in my size, and 2) had any decent support for a woman with large breasts who wants to do high intensity physical activity like running, dancing or any sort of cardio movement. The standard sports bras out there don't cut it for me (and probably wouldn't for someone Charlotte's size). Not if you don't want your chest to bounce painfully when you're doing high impact sports or other activities. If they made one like Enell's but cheaper in price, I'd be ecstatic to buy it. But so far that's the only one I've found that keeps my chest from moving. Trust me, I've tried many kinds in a range of prices. For me, it's not about the price or the brand; it's all about the immovability factor, and most standard sports bras don't offer the kind of support needed.

Regardless... Charlotte was behaving like an idiot and I hope she goes first.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

I can't believe the first dance of the season is now an occasion for props, etcetera. When the PTB recruit "stars" that can't dance, however, I guess we'll all have to live with it.

There were very few bright spots in last night's program and an awful lot of filler. I don't care to see yet another member of the Hough family; I'm sick of the ones that are already featured. I don't want to watch an underage young woman who's going to be dealing with double-entendre jokes as soon as next week when the ratings tank and DWTS hits the panic button. I REALLY don't want to watch a "celebrity" whose sole claim to fame was appearing in a Super Bowl commercial. And I have HAD IT with Carrie Ann Inaba, who will do ANYTHING to work up a few tears because she thinks it makes her memorable. ENOUGH of the faux emotion.

What used to be cute, cheesy and campy is now tired, annoying and trite. This needs to be the last season, ABC. Pull the plug.

• Love 1

I'm just thrilled we can't possibly have a Peta showmance story line this season.

It's off to a decent start. I find Suzanne Somers' spanx distracting but damn that waist line. I continue to be annoyed by Derek's theatrics. Cheering for Val and the beautiful Rumer.

• Love 6

The Houghs are probably remotely related to half the people on the cast.

The other half are squarely in the Chmerkovskiy camp, whether by business, pleasure, or just joining the bandwagon. The lack of Tristan isn't the only reason I no longer watch this show; it's become far too insular and predictable to be even remotely interesting.

I do miss Tristan (and said so while watching last night's episode). What is he up to instead, I wonder? I'd like him to come back to this show and be paired up with someone awesome.

I wonder how long it will take before the powers that be talk Rumer into dancing to Adele's "Rumor Has It"?

• Love 2

To Stacey's credit, she was MUCH better than Elisabetta, who was a wooden doorknob as a dancer.

I was completely surprised by Bachelor Chris who, as others have noted, was surprisingly good and entertaining given he's a born-and-raised Iowa farmer with no secret dance training in his background.

I felt Derek dumbed down that dance so Nastia wouldn't start out (and stay) on top since they're a lock for the finals. Just seeing them as partners makes me root for ANYONE ELSE even more. 

I thought Val looked a little unhappy when the judges were all like, "This is your year now that you have Rumer!" They made it sound like he was the frontrunner, never a good position to be in on this show, but esp. not in Week 1.

I do love his choreography though and its great when he and Derek do get partners that can perform what they're given.

Chris from The Bachelor surprised me. You could see how much he must have practiced. I thought he was surprisingly good and should be around for a few weeks at least. A lot of the others can leave any time. I have no idea who some of these "stars" are.

• Love 1

I wonder how long it will take before the powers that be talk Rumer into dancing to Adele's "Rumor Has It"?

They'll ChaCha to "Rumor Has It" next week.

EH! Same old, same old. WHY, WHY, WHY, do they pair male pros with the same type EVERY SEASON? Typecast much!

Edited by dwtsgueststars

From some pages back, but I don't think it was ever answered:

Bachelor surprised me but I don't understand the comments about him crushing on his partner. Help?

I don't remember any comments about him crushing on his partner, Witney (no 'h' - this will be important). His final pick on the Bachelor was Whitney (with an 'h'). So he said now he's dancing with a Witney and engaged to a Whitney and that was going to make it confusing.

Chris had more energy and personality on DWTS last night than he ever did on The Bachelor ... which was surprising. Maybe he's not going to be so awful after all? I mean, I figured that he was going to be better than Sean Lowe (the previous DWTS Bachelor crossover) because he was at least attractive and was pretty good at not taking himself too seriously, but he might actually turn out to be enjoyable. Maybe that's Witney's (no 'h') doing?

The standard sports bras out there don't cut it for me (and probably wouldn't for someone Charlotte's size).

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, Sink. My point was more Charlotte, as you said, was being an idiot, like she never noticed her boobs bouncing before. "Oh, gosh, look at my boobs, what can POSSIBLY be done about that?" And the bondage duct tape ... just .... no. Just as you've found, she HAD to know about support bras that would work. 

But then again, I guess you have to want to find something that works, so there's that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

No disrespect taken! We're good.   :)

My point was more Charlotte, as you said, was being an idiot, like she never noticed her boobs bouncing before. "Oh, gosh, look at my boobs, what can POSSIBLY be done about that?" And the bondage duct tape ... just .... no. Just as you've done, she HAD to know about support bras that would work.

Absolutely. It was the emphasis she kept making about her breasts and - like you say - as if she never noticed them before and how on earth will she ever contain them. For someone who said she wanted to be recognized as someone who is more than her boobs, she sure didn't act like it. In fact, she was pretty much the opposite of someone who wanted to be taken seriously for her personality and talents instead of her body.  *heavy sigh*

But then again, I guess you have to want something to work, so there's that.

Ha! So true.

Oh yeah, I hated her intro. All that "joking" about melons and cereal and pretty much anything to cover her chest, while pretending to be naked when meeting her dance partner for the first time? It was all a "show," nothing real about her whatsoever. Why would that endear her as someone to root for?

I'm pretty sure the show had that idea, not Charlotte.

I liked Rumer, but I fear she'll mainly get votes based on who her parents are.  Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I'm hoping she gets votes based on who she is and how she dances.  Still, I see her going far since she can dance.

Riker, Michael, Chris, and Nastia seem and feel like early favorites to go far.  Robert, Noah, Redfoo, and Suzanne might make decent runs.  I'm sure that Patti, Willow, and Charlotte as easy cannon fodder.

For the twentieth season, it's not a bad cast.  We'll see how it shapes up in the weeks ahead.  I'm just not sure as to why they chose to start this season so far into the spring season.

I'm slightly torn about Willow.  I think Mark has proved that he does very well with teenaged girls.  Willow's costume and dance were tasteful and appropriate, and she seems mature beyond her years.

In general I'd prefer contestants be at least eighteen.  Due to the demanding nature of the show, and the inherent sexual nature of Latin dances, I feel like it could be overwhelming to minors.  I realize young children train in ballroom, but I have to confess that I really can't stand watching it.  It reminds me of watching five year olds wearing stuffed bras, two inches of makeup, Marie Antoinette hair, and heels - toddling along in beauty pageants.

Having said all of the above, I do tolerate it.  And I will continue to do so, as long as I am not (again) subjected to:  Watching mom/dad/grandma vigilantly guarding virginity, daddy meticulously controlling every thread of the costume to guard her modesty, and DWTS treating it all in an aw shucks indulgent matter.

Actually before the show started people talked about how homely Rumer was in the rehearsals. DWTS Facebook page

relentless and harsh.  She cleans up real nice for showtime.

Rumer and her sisters have been eviscerated about their looks since they were quite young.  They are commonly mocked for having extremely attractive parents, but supposedly are quite homely themselves.  Tallulah Belle, the youngest, recently talked about how damaging it was to her growing up.

One doesn't have to spend a fortune for one, and even the Kmart label works better than duct tape.

Gosh...I'm not so sure anything works better than the miracle of duct tape--in almost any situation.  The DWTS wardrobe people are experts (or know experts) who should be able to solve this problem easily.  After the initial "introduction" of the boobs, I'd bet the show will calm down.  They just need a hook for every contestant.  I'm willing to give the girl a break.

I'm pretty sure the show had that idea, not Charlotte.

Exactly. I can't believe how many people didn't get that it was all tongue-in-cheek. She was even smiling as she said the line about wanting to be known not just for her boobs. That's really her only thing! And it's why they did that silly duct tape strap in rehearsal along with the Austin Powers intro. They're playing it up. What else can they do? Especially in week one, where they have to introduce everyone? (Esp. with this cast - talk about unknowns!)

I recognize that the bit they put on was tongue-in-cheek, but I didn't find it cute or funny. And maybe I'm foolish but I guess I took her as being honest and forthright when she said she didn't want to be known for just her boobs, a comment I appreciated until they followed it up with the bit, which was in direct contrast with what she'd just said. And that pissed me off because I'm sick of women playing up the dumb bimbo role or thinking that's all they're good for and media treating them like that's all they should do or be. If she really wants to be known as the boobs girl from the commercial... well, that's her prerogative, of course, but that doesn't make me want to vote for her or root for her or respect her one bit.

What else can they do? Gee, I don't know... maybe help us to get to know her better as an actual person? Maybe tell me something about her, her family, her life, anything real? What she did wasn't an intro to who she really is. If that's who she really is, then I guess I'm just not impressed one bit.

Don't get me wrong - I'm with you on the anti-feminist take, but she isn't. She's a model who is known for being large-chested, it's her bread-and-butter, so she works it. What I don't understand is why the show keeps casting models. I know they always go for a diverse cast to appeal to as large a demographic as possible, but I think the % of men watching, let alone voting for models is pretty small.

If they did bits involving her boobs week after week, then I agree it would be ridiculous. But again, it was the premiere, so with a cast of "who-dat's" (as another poster called 'em), they had to introduce her as the model from the Super Bowl commercial. I have a feeling she'll be exiting shortly, but if she stuck around, I'm sure they'd do more scenes of getting to know her.

I don't remember whether I've talked about Charlotte in this thread, but having watched her first live-streamed rehearsal and parts of the second and third, I really think that is *not* who she is. She had problems (notably dyslexia), but having TPTB (IMO) throw her into the cannon is really annoying. I may be misreading it, and she's not a stellar light or anything, but she comes across in one of the post-show interviews as being more than just the boobs. 

I don't see this working out for her, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if something else does.

I loved Val and Rumer.  Can't wait to see what they do next!

Charlotte can get off my TV now.  That was embarrassing, and I hope she's first to go.

Robert Herjavec has always been a favorite of mine.  I thought Erin Andrews post-dance interview with him was condescending and borderline offensive.  First was her comment that "The viewers want to see you humbled..."   Excuse me, Erin, not everyone was lucky enough to be born into as much privilege as you were with your well-known 6-time Emmy Award winning journalist father.  I daresay Robert is much more intimate with humility than you've ever had reason to be.   He was born in the communist-occupied former Yugoslavia, where his father had been imprisoned for speaking out against the government.  His family fled the country with only a single suitcase between them, their only possession when they arrived in Nova Scotia, where they lived in a friend's basement.  Robert worked to support his family in a variety of minimum wage jobs.  He put himself through college by working as a waiter.  He got his first job in the tech industry by offering to work for them for FREE for six months, since he was unqualified for the job.  Robert is the classic rags to riches story of an emigrant working his ass off and succeeding against all odds. 

Then when Robert said, "There's nothing a 50-year-old man likes better than being compared to a 14-year-old boy!", Erin stuck her nose up in the air and, voice dripping with condescension, and said "It was meant as a compliment."  As though Robert was too stupid to understand that obvious fact, and needed you to explain it to him?  He had already taken it as a compliment that he was genuinely flattered by, you dummy!  Grrrr.  I don't know if Erin has always been this obnoxious and I just never noticed it, or if she has a personal problem with Robert Herjavec.  In either case, she needs to step back.

• Love 5

I do miss Tristan (and said so while watching last night's episode). What is he up to instead, I wonder? I'd like him to come back to this show and be paired up with someone awesome.

He was on the last season of Strictly Come Dancing (paired with a not exactly spry or graceful 50 year old; they were eliminated in week 3), toured with their show, did their Christmas show and some special events, will be doing their European cruises in a few months, and has been teaching. He was interviewed while on SCD and here's part of the exchange:

He said he had appeared on six seasons of the American version of Strictly Come Dancing – Dancing With The Stars – and will be returning there in the new year.

"We will see how that goes," he said.

So...you see how that went.

• Love 2

The foxtrot by Val and Rumer seemed more like a paso to me.  Hard, aggressive, with lots of sharp stops and starts.  I'm not a fan of Val's standard ballroom choreography.  All of those abrupt stops are a big part of his Latin choreography, and I wish he wouldn't bring it into the standard dances.  I wish he could go with the flow, and keep the flow going, of the standard dances like foxtrot.

Val usually gets criticized for his ballroom dances being American Smooth and not enough in hold. It that weren't technically a foxtrot, despite the staccato style, I'm sure Len at least would have called him out on it.

Missed the first ten minutes of the show - which I assume was Willow and Mark, as I don't remember seeing them.  

Caught up on watching tonight and I came to the conclusion that I would be giving up watching the show if it wasn't for the DVR.  I watch most of the pkges and most of the dances and that is it.  And if I can't tolerate what's going on, I ff immediately.

I loved Rumer's dress.  That was gorgeous and super sexy/romantic.

I felt Riker was a lot more nervous than he appeared and that Allison was trying to dance down to his level.  She has way more bounce than that.  I kinda hated them.

I don't watch the Bachelor so that was my first intro to Chris Soules.  He reminded me a bit of Ty Murray, in that you can see his inexperience, but he's carrying it off really well regardless (and of course, the obvious country thang).

Derek and Nastia were a mess.

FFed through Patti (eventually), Suzanne, Redfoo and Charlotte (almost immediately).   

Funny enough Derek's first dance with Shawn in All Stars was a Foxtrot that also seemed a bit fast and frenetic due to a faster song and it was their only "so/so" dance that season so I think Nastia will progress and produce many fantastic routines. With her ballet background, I can't wait to see her Rumba, Waltz, and Contemporary routines.

For a woman who claims she wants to be known for more than just her boobs, Charlotte sure talks about them a lot. And she was really bad. I predict she will be first out.

I feel bad for Keo, because I like him, but he is almost definitely going first again this time.  She was so off-putting.  And I'm never of the mind that people are just free to comment about a woman's body because of how she dresses, etc, but for her to have an entire intro package about her boobs, for her to essentially make her living off of being "the girl with the big boobs," and then to act like she was going to get the vapors because Bruno commented on her having a formidable chest?  Come on.  That was actually fairly tame for Bruno.  Also, she can't dance.  I think the judges knew she was going to be week one fodder, so they didn't even really try to be fully critical.  They just threw some generic stuff her way, Julianne threw her a bone with how hard it is for a long limbed girl to do that in week 1, and they patted her on the head and sent her on her way.  

So now Judge Juliana is related to one pro and one star. She really should recuse herself from this show.

It's ridiculous.  She's judging her brother, a guy who is like her brother (Mark), and now her cousin.  

And Julianne seems intent on establishing herself as the other "serious" judge with Len sandwiched in between the two clowns.  At least her hair looked better last night than it did at any point last season.  Someone clearly got the message that her hair, makeup, and wardrobe last season were as unflattering as humanly possible.  

I love that Val, when Len said it could be his season, said "I want it to be her season."  I think he is one of the best pros in the cast at focusing on his partner and working with them instead of trying to mold them into what he wants to do for the season.  

"The Olympic all around champ paired with our all around champ."  Stop show. Just... stop.  And, really, Derek?  Busting out your usual mid-season rule breaking in week 1?  And repeating a completely lame "joke" is pretty typical Derek at this point.  Dude, we caught it the first time, we just didn't think it was funny.  Repeating it like a toddler trying to get Mommy to laugh isn't going to make it funnier. 

Peta is one of those pros who my opinion of her is based almost entirely on who she has each season.  I liked her last night.  And, as has already been mentioned, it's a relief that we won't have to watch her spend the season trying to work some showmance angle.  And Michael is adorable and fun.  I hope they last for a while.  

And, God, Riker's hair.  Someone fix it.  Please.  

Edited by KerleyQ
  • Love 5

Those were some of the worst intro packages I've seen on this show. Probably because having four judges takes up too much time, they were all really short. And many of them didn't even introduce the contestants. Willow's Hunger Games skit, Charlotte's "Am I naked or not" skit, and Robert's "look how insanely rich I am" deal told me absolutely nothing I didn't already know about the person. "I'm known for being in the Hunger Games. Here's a skit based on the Hunger Games. Now you know that I'm in the Hunger Games. The end." Really, that's it?

I wasn't able to watch live and saw a bootleg episode on YouTube that has probably already been deleted. There was no music for Patti's and Redfoo's dances (I assume because they were auto-caught by YouTube's policy on copyrighted studio recordings vs live covers), so I didn't get an idea of how well they danced. Hopefully I can watch live next week. I'm mostly in agreement with everyone else about who was top tier, middle of the pack, and cannon fodder.

(Side note on the sports bra issue: As a curvy runner, I tried Oprah's favorite Enell bra and hate it. It's a monster bra, very thick and not very breathable. I only wear it if I'm running in sub-freezing temperatures, otherwise I overheat in minutes. I like the Shock Absorber personally. On topic, yes, Charlotte, there are plenty of options to keep the Girls in line.)

I'm really angry at how they treated Tristan - and have done since the start. Louis too. And Alec, Jonathan, Dmitry, Gleb... But the Tristan situation takes the cake. Forcing him back over here because of his contract when there were other things he could have been doing in the UK - it just sucks. At least I don't have to watch this hyped up fakery with the propped princeling. Good riddance.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

Re watched the ep again. I still think the Derek dance was a hot mess.

redfoo can't do anything but fre style. Still liked rumor.

The Enell bra is the top choice of women in law enforcement. There is no movement at all. But it comes at a price. The thing fits like a hard second skin and takes weeks to get used to. But there is no bounce.

Kind of like this season of dwts.

The Enell bra is the top choice of women in law enforcement. There is no movement at all. But it comes at a price. The thing fits like a hard second skin and takes weeks to get used to. But there is no bounce.

LOL. I do feel like I've put on armor when I wear it. But in a good way. I've definitely gotten used to it.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

I don't care about Julianne judging her brother's partner and her second cousin she hardly knows, or her own mother, really.  It's reality tv, not the Olympics or the Hunger Games.  I doubt the judges even pick the scores themselves.