Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E01: Episode 1

• Start Topic

I thought that the pro's opening number had awkward lighting - it washed the pro women out. Too much peach. I also miss the announcer as well as the Harold Wheeler orchestra. 

I was shocked at how well Bachelor Chris could move. I agree with those who said he showed more personality in the opening than he did his bachelor season (and Andi's season too). I thought he actually did better than Redfoo.

Riker bugged! He seemed so smug. He can dance but it was way too hectic. I was happy that Charlotte came in with a good attitude but yeah focused on the boobs waaaay too much.  I feel bad for Keo getting another lemon, though think that he was ecstatic being able to dance in the bumpers and showcasing himself last season. I would like to see him with a Nadia or a Kelly Osbourne to see what his teaching style is.   

Noah is truly inspiring and seems like a truly humble, sincere person.  I have also loved Sharna since she joined DWTS. I just was so nervous for them during the dance after we saw him fall in his opening. I hope the experience is enjoyable for him and that we get to hear more about his story in the coming weeks.

I thought that Patti LaBelle and Suzanne Summers moved really well for their ages, they did better than people decades younger. I loved Patti's opening package and how she wanted to have content in the dance. Artem had the perfect mix of choreography and making sure she was comfortable. 

Rumor was great. I hope she and Val go far this season, but don't want it to get too much into this being Val's chance to finally win.  I loved that her family was there to support her. It was kind of weird seeing Bruce Willis and Demi Moore in the ballroom, but pretty great at the same time to see that they took the time to do so. I felt kind of bad that Demi was in back of Bruce and their daughters. I didn't notice she was there until Rumor's dance.  

I'm in for the season and will probably fast forward through Riker, Charlotte, and the shark tank guy.

Edited by Lilytiger
  • Love 2

Seriously.  No fooling.  That video package/contestant open has to get an Emmy nom.  It was brilliant in concept and phenomenally well executed.  That, was art.

Dude is exponentially more the man than I'll ever be, but Noah literally can't do this.  He is quite right - the loss of that knee makes all the difference.  Damnit.  I was so ready to root like crazy for him.  I just can't now.  I do hope for the very best in his life.

Patti is another who should not take another step on that floor.  Points to her for trying and for the basically elegant choreo.  She was way, way, way overscored.  I understand why they did it, but I do not like it one bit.

Redfoo and Suzanne are right behind them.  Poor Emma.  Boobular girl may be able to improve somewhat, but for now she is another stick figure who belongs in Andy's Toy Story chest.  

I was pleased they stuck Derek with a Foxtrot right out of the gate.  I was amazed at how well Nastia pulled it off.  I am well aware that her dress hid some leg movement issues, but wow.  That was a super impressive debut.  Grudging full marks for them, Derek especially.

Riker was the most unexpected reveal tonight.  He got lucky with that dance style, yet he actually looked the part.  Shark guy was the other one who really surprised.  Let me get this straight:  He was criticized for being too light on his feet?  As a 50 year old?  Huh?  

The 14 year old also did a fine job.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2

I hated the boob intro but Charlotte didn't write it or improvise it, the show foisted it on her.

Does she lack the ability to speak up and say, "This is inappropriate, tasteless and against the very point I'm trying to make about wanting to be known for more than my breasts? I don't want to do this. Can we do something else?" I'm sure they didn't force those melons into her hands or force her to take her clothes off so that they could pixelate her breasts to look like she was naked.

• Love 4

Willow is adorable, but I agree that 14 is too young. If TPTB insists on having a teenage girl compete every season, they should have one of Mark's teenage students dance with her.

But how would that work out with child labour laws? The pros have an insane workload that most probably can't be done (and shouldn't be done) by someone underage. So that only leaves people over 18.  I also think in Willow's specific case, having a teenage pro be her teacher and choreographer could be a recipe for catastrophe. Would they know how to adjust training, how to handle the responsibility and stress of being paired with a 14 year old, how to adjust staging, costumes, choreo? Would they know how to handle the endless mindgames of the show and how to keep the worst of that away from Willow? I think that's a terrible burden on a young, inexperienced pro. What I can perhaps see is a scenario where Mark for example coaches both of them and has a hand in the choreo, then the two teenagers perform it. But that's way out there concept-wise and not really conforming with the premise of the show.

I thought she did very well and was a bit underscored. Probably both going first and her age working against her. I would have had her with perhaps 26, 27 points. Would have been more appropriate IMO. I don't think she was worse than Chris or Noah. And she was certainly better than Suzanne, who also got 25. But she's well within the range of most couples score-wise and seems to have a bit of a fanbase. If her teenybopper fans vote for her (I know it's always an if with that particular set), she should probably be all right this week. But what do I know...

Also thought Michael was underscored a bit. Robert perhaps a tad overscored? Riker is great, but I'm still not sure what Allison can do. This was right in her high-energy (manic?) wheelhouse, we'll see how she'll fare with different assignments. Nastia was good, as was Rumer. But that was to be expected, I guess. And even though I thought the judging was inconsistent in general, I did appreciate that they stayed away from the 8s mostly and didn't hand out 9s.

Edited by katha

Willow is adorable, but I agree that 14 is too young. If TPTB insists on having a teenage girl compete every season, they should have one of Mark's teenage students dance with her.

Why?  Mark teaches teen girls all the time, doesn't he, at is 'day job'?  Is it inappropriate to some?

Does she lack the ability to speak up and say, "This is inappropriate, tasteless and against the very point I'm trying to make about wanting to be known for more than my breasts? I don't want to do this. Can we do something else?" I'm sure they didn't force those melons into her hands or force her to take her clothes off so that they could pixelate her breasts to look like she was naked.

I agree in principle and will have no sympathy when she's gone faster than you can say "pamela anderson" but I think when they sign up they virtually agree to the stupid b.s. the show serves up as 'stories'.  And if you're famous for your boobs, you're probably not going to get signed on with a clause that they can't highlight your boobs.  

This first episode fails in comparison to last fall's. Haven't decided if it's because of the celebrity recognition, celebrity skill, the pro's choreography or maybe the answer is "d".  It looked liked Val was the only one who took the assignment seriously. 

-Val and Derek got the "ringers" again or the ones with the best dance abilities.  Maybe Val will finally win since the cast isn't very good or very memorable, so far.  Then maybe they'll let some other pro get a good celeb. I really didn't like Nastia routine.  Derek need to stop trying to "woo" with every routine and just choreograph and connect with his partner.  These 2 will make the finals.  So that leaves 2. 

-Chris, Michael and Redfoo are the celebs I'll be watching.  They don't seem hopeless.  So let's see who will improve the most.  Hopefully they'll stay a while.

-Allison_Riker - energy level was so high.  even in a jive I like a little shade.  If she choreographs like she did last season, MAYBE a top 7 finish?  She's wound too tight and is still way outdancing her partner.

-All of the older celebs did well (Miss Patti, Suzanne, Robert).  Unlike last season, I don't think there will be an older celeb past top 6.

-Charlotte was the worst.  The first week??  Learn the choreography,  Hope she goes first.

-To me, Willow is too young to be doing this.  If Mark choreographs an age-appropriate routine, it won't bring out the intimacy, sexiness, etc of ballroom dance.  So I hope she is the 2nd to go.

-I admire Noah but I don't want to see him each week.  Didn't want to see Amy either but she made the finals.  Hopefully he's the 3rd to go.

So did DWTS get rid of Lacey again?  Did they think she was too large to sit down and talk?

Loved Erin's dress.

It's obvious ABC is going for the pre-teen Hunger Games demographic, but this girl is too damn young to be shaking her hips and tatas. Shame on ABC for this.

14 year olds learn to Cha Cha all over dance studios every single day. Mark teaches teens to dance during the show's off-season. Nothing happening here is new or inappropriate and I think it says way more about us as a society that we sexualize her dancing than it does about what's actually happening on screen. There was nothing wrong or inappropriate in that dance at all. There are so many people I never need to see dance again, Willow was not on that list. She can move and with training could be quite good. 

I loved every one of the teen dances the show highlighted a few years back. Brittany and Brandon's Phantom of the Opera dance is one of my favourite dances I've ever seen. I don't get this point of view at all. As long as Willow is comfortable with her dances, then so am I.

• Love 20

14 year olds learn to Cha Cha all over dance studios every single day. Mark teaches teens to dance during the show's off-season.  There was nothing wrong or inappropriate in that dance at all.

I don't have a problem with Mark teaching teenage girls how to ballroom dance.  I thought Mark choreographed an age-appropriate dance for Willow.  So I saw nothing sexual in the routine and I hope Mark continues down this path.  (He is getting kind of pudgy, isn't he?)  But as an entertainment venue, I like sexual tension, flirting etc in ballroom dance.  That's why I hope she leaves early.  I don't want to see this between Mark and Willow.  If the show was just about who does the steps the best, there's no problem.  But this show is just as much about performing as step execution.

• Love 1

But I don't think the argument is with people who say "I want flirtation/sexy in my dancing, so Willow's not for me" (though I don't agree that it has to be the essence of all ballroom dancing).   It's with a whole other theme that's been making the rounds among some viewers of the show basically the minute Willow was announced as part of the cast. This IMO rather gross and sexist notion that treats teenage girls (and only teenage girls, it never applies to boys) as "forbidden fruit", with the notion that any interaction between a teenage girl and an adult male is potentially suspicious (again, same doesn't apply to teenage boys). And then the "solution" for that is to control the girl and deny her any kind of agency...sorry, "to protect her".

Edited by katha
  • Love 11

I don't have a problem with Mark teaching teenage girls how to ballroom dance.  I thought Mark choreographed an age-appropriate dance for Willow.  So I saw nothing sexual in the routine and I hope Mark continues down this path.  (He is getting kind of pudgy, isn't he?)  But as an entertainment venue, I like sexual tension, flirting etc in ballroom dance.  That's why I hope she leaves early.  I don't want to see this between Mark and Willow.  If the show was just about who does the steps the best, there's no problem.  But this show is just as much about performing as step execution.

The thing is, if one wants to make a career out of one of the international styles, one pretty much has to start dancing as a child.  And by that, I mean that one had best already have years of experience in by the time one hits 14.  There are exceptions, but they're rare.  As such, there are 14 year olds who are way past the point of worrying about steps.

Now, one might argue that these dancers tend to be in amateur rather than pro-am partnerships.  And that is true for the very best of them.  But junior pro-am is a thing, and almost exclusively populated with female students and male pros.  (Boys who are willing to seriously pursue dance are a difficult to find.)

I agree Katha.

Willow impressed me with her maturity - if the show hadn't publicized her age I would probably have pegged her for a few years older. I thought she did fine, she needs to spot her turns a bit better but she had reasonable musicality and if she sticks around should improve. They're definitely not going easy on her though, apparently she has Argentine tango next week.

In regards to Mark's weight -he started on the show as a just-turned 21 year old. He's now coming up 29. Age will do that to ya although I think some of it also may be costuming - he's tending to wear a lot a buttoned up, tucked in shirts these days.

I have to say, as an amputee myself, it bothers me that the term "exploitative" is being thrown around. As if we're somehow less than other human beings and don't deserve to see ourselves represented as the fellow humans we are.

• Love 14

The thing is, if one wants to make a career out of one of the international styles, one pretty much has to start dancing as a child.  And by that, I mean that one had best already have years of experience in by the time one hits 14.  There are exceptions, but they're rare. 

While I admire Willow for learning the step sequences, she is limited by her age and more importantly by her lack of performance experience to entertain the audience the way a little older person could. 14 is really pushing the PG 14 label of the show. Really, some of the performances really push the adult entertainment button since some are such poor dancers that's really all they have in their arsenal. I am just not sure that a 14 year old learning the fundamentals of ballroom is in the right venue for a show that puts such an emphasis on sexuality. 

Edited by Andiethewestie

I have to say, as an amputee myself, it bothers me that the term "exploitative" is being thrown around. As if we're somehow less than other human beings and don't deserve to see ourselves represented as the fellow humans we are.

It is clearly a courageous act of determination to come on the show and do what he did.  I don't think anyone can deny that.  I do think in this instance though the judges did not give in to what seemed to be a really emotional dance and marked him as fairly as could be expected.  In that sense I didn't feel it was exploitive, however the pulling at the heartstrings can feel manipulative at times. 

• Love 1

Shark Tank is a favorite show of mine and I love Robert.   I hope to see him go far.   I love his attitude!  Adorable man.  

I agree that Noah should not be in this competition. His score put him in 5th place above others who performed better, of course. Sigh.  My heart goes out to him.  He said he wanted to be judged fairly against the others and not because he is disabled.  Well, they can't really do that.   

Patti is a big star and respected for her music but that is no reason to over score her; she is not a dancer.  

Allison is married to Twitch who I adore so I have a soft spot for her.  I felt badly when Julianne called her out for last season.  She deserves to be seen for what she does now. 

Rumer can dance. And wow, she looks so much like her mother.

It's taken A LOT of plastic surgery to make that happen.  But then, it probably took her mom a lot, too.

I love Allison from SYTYCD, but she has no place on this show.  She just doesn't look right, even to me who knows nothing about ballroom.  It just seems like she's one of the more talented celebrities-doing the steps fine, but not looking like a "real" ballroom dancer.  

The only person who I liked and sort of find rootable was Nastia, but she's paired with Derek, who I don't hate but of whom I've grown weary, so I don't know how much of this season I'll be watching.  Nastia is gorgeous.  Poor Shawn Johnson was so talented but just built so differently.  Nastia's going to look twice as good as Shawn ever looked even if she's just doing half as good a job.

I could maybe enjoy Michael, but he does need to tone down the creepy fake smile, which made him look deranged.  Someone obviously told him to "smile" because he'd stop doing it (and look normal) and then obviously suddenly "remember" at random intervals that he was supposed to be smiling and start it back up again.  It was uncomfortable.

Edited by Rancide

It is clearly a courageous act of determination to come on the show and do what he did. I don't think anyone can deny that. I do think in this instance though the judges did not give in to what seemed to be a really emotional dance and marked him as fairly as could be expected. In that sense I didn't feel it was exploitive, however the pulling at the heartstrings can feel manipulative at times.

It's no more manipulative to me than some of the other crap this show pulls. Making Rumer's moment all about Val, past seasons of low balling someone who is more entertaining than whoever the script dictates they want in certain positions. This show is as highly produced as any other ridiculous reality show, but for some reason taken as more serious than it is. These aren't people looking to make a go of it in the dance industry, and every dance could be their last.

• Love 1

No it's not only about dancing but I'm going to throw my support behind the team that does the best to entertain me. What entertains me is good dancing, others have different reasons : Jr Martinez wasn't the best dancer but he had the best story. Amy Purdy beat a lot of better dancers and was runner up. So the idea that those with disabilities are somehow treated unfairly by an audience is just crazy. Noah got a lot of support which is great, he deserves to be there just like anyone else, but to assume that courageousness equals great dancing?  I don't see it. 

• Love 2

I'd be ok with Riker leaving. I don't know how the judges judged his feet and leg action when I couldn't see it through the crowd, and I thought there were a couple times he looked better than Allison. I like Allison. I think she's really sweet and charming when she's not on this show. I saw an after show interview she did last season where she was asking the questions, and she was really charming. TPTB/Allison just haven't figured out how to fit her in yet so she just feels like she's trying too hard. And shallowly, I just can't with Riker's hair.

I didn't mind Charlotte and think Keo is oddly adorable (the way he busted out laughing at the awful melon joke for example), so I wouldn't mind them lasting until week 2 even if that's not going to happen.

I was actually really disappointed in Nastia's dance. It was too busy/manic/disjointed. I'm not sure exactly, but it just seemed awkward. It didn't seem like she did a lot of dancing but that they ran around a lot. I know Nastia tends to not be peppy but she and Derek seemed uncomfortable together, especially at the end when everyone was lined up. I wonder if they've had so little time together that they haven't been able to develop their partnership yet. I thought their scores were oddly high compared to others, but I'm guessing she had the technique down better than others. I tend to agree with Julianne's scores most often but was surprised when she was so positive. I would have put them solidly in the middle. If Derek had weeks to work out this dance, I'm a little worried what the next ones will look like when he has less time.

I really liked Michael. I hope he goes far. He and Peta look great together, and he seems to be really enjoying the experience.

I'm excited to see what Noah can do. If he thinks he's up for the challenge, I don't mind adjusting my expectations a little for his knee and hold limitations. I do expect his musicality to improve and, hopefully, his fluidity. His kids were adorable.

Kym and Robert are so fun together. I really thought Witney was helped a lot last year by Alfonso's ability, but she seems to be doing wonders with Chris. That was a really fun jive. The package and that dance are why I love Tony. He's so willing to just go for it and entertain. I thought Willow's dance was a good week 1 dance and that her scores were low compared to others. Artem and Patti were classy and elegant. I really enjoyed them, too.

I'm really, really surprised by Rumer. She's actually really hard working and likeable, which I didn't expect. I think she and Val look great together, and I loved her dance even if the music was a little odd. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with all season. Also, I'm really surprised the show didn't make a bigger deal out of her parents being there. No comments from Erin that I caught just showing them on camera when she was dancing. That was actually really restrained for this show and let it be about Rumer.

• Love 2

That's my point actually. Some vote for the pro no matter the celeb, some vote for a celeb because they're good looking, some vote on entertainment over technical superiority, yet many of those same people say it's wrong to vote for someone because they're less than whole. Sympathy vote, pity vote whatever it's construed as.

Sorry, that was a response to Andiethewestie.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 3
Rumer and Val danced so beautifully but I absolutely hated the song choice. Foxtrot is not supposed to be an emo dance.

This reminds me that at points in their dance, it seemed more like slow waltz to me than a foxtrot and I think that was because of the song. 

I'm torn about Kym being back. She was one of my favorite pros back in the day, but she seems past her prime now.

Funny all I thought during Robert's performance was how underrated she always was as a choreographer/Pro on the show even with her two wins and two runner up. She has knack for fun and clever routines and I definitely saw that last night with Robert.

Dude is exponentially more the man than I'll ever be, but Noah literally can't do this.  He is quite right - the loss of that knee makes all the difference.  Damnit.  I was so ready to root like crazy for him.  I just can't now.  I do hope for the very best in his life.

A friend of mine said after the show, "I'm not sure how he will be able to handle the Latin dances."  I had to tell her that was a Latin dance because it was Cha Cha, which completely confused her. She was positive it was a Contemporary.

Riker is great, but I'm still not sure what Allison can do. This was right in her high-energy (manic?) wheelhouse, we'll see how she'll fare with different assignments.

Yeah, she also had a Jive as her and Jonathan's first dance last season which they did pretty good at. It was after that, that it all went downhill.

I wonder if they've had so little time together that they haven't been able to develop their partnership yet.

I don't see how that could be since I believe they've had as much time as all the other pairings. Nastia is based in NY so she and Derek do just as many hours of rehearsal as the other couples. It just happens in NY versus LA where all the other pairings are.

Finally, what was up with damn near every team pulling out the shake the booty move. Just about every pairing with a Cha Cha or Jive had the "turn around and do the booty shake" move. 

• Love 2

I felt old...all during Riker's dance all I could think was "get a haricut!"  or at least get that mop out of his face.  He looked like a dancing mop.
I'm glad they skipped the non-ballroom dances that had become the norm for week 1. 

• Love 6

I feel bad for Keo, because it looks like he'll be out first again and he really deserves better.  So Charlotte does't want to be known for "just her boobs" and then agrees to do her intro based on...her boobs.  Logic.

And I just have to vent:  Why the hell is Derek here AGAIN??  He almost ruins the show for me.  I'm so sick of his smug face and the fact that he always gets young, capable dancers.  What's the earliest he's been out?  Final five?  Him saying he just couldn't help himself (read: he has nothing better to do with his life) was so annoying.  You've "retired" more times than Michael Jordan.  Just go away FOREVER PLEASE.  Ugh.

Chris?  You're not a Bachelor anymore.  And your fiancee is in the audience.  Please stop hitting on other people.

Loved Rumer, but those veneers....

Edited by Ivana Tinkle
  • Love 5

That's my point actually. Some vote for the pro no matter the celeb, some vote for a celeb because they're good looking, some vote on entertainment over technical superiority, yet many of those same people say it's wrong to vote for someone because they're less than whole. Sympathy vote, pity vote whatever it's construed as.

Sorry, that was a response to Andiethewestie.

True, people vote for whomever they want and for whatever reason. Noah could be getting lots of votes simply because of his inspiring dance, and there's every reason to believe he's getting them.. This show is not a disciplined dance competition, but it is a competition nonetheless. You've made a good point about how the show exploits all angles of it, not just if a person has a disability. I am one of those who feel perhaps the disability is being exploited because if this were a dance competition then he would not be competing against able bodied dancers.  How can one judge a modification such as having to dance  leading with the right instead of the left?  As incredible as that is, and Kudos to Sharna for making it work, the criteria for prescribed ballroom dance movement is out the window and so the standard for judging dance movement is not relevant.  But this hasn't been the case with all dancers with a disability. Marlee Matlin couldn't hear, and yet she could follow prescribed dance movement, because she was otherwise able bodied. So exploitive for effect? Perhaps.  

Edited by Andiethewestie

What bothers me a little about it is are the vets with horrible injuries really 'stars' or does ABC put them on just for the visual impact factor?  I mean, I love JR and this guy seems awesome too but it feels a little like it's bending the premise a bit.  Though is Charlotte a 'star'?  Is Rumer?  I'm not sure I'd want to be invited on solely because of some highly visible physical injury.  Do other vets get invited?  

It's taken A LOT of plastic surgery to make that happen.  But then, it probably took her mom a lot, too.

It didn't occur to me Rumer's had a lot of work done but I recall when she was much younger I felt bad for her because she had that gorgeous mother and she seemed to inherit her father's giant superhero jaw and she just wasn't pretty.  She looks great now.  

For an 8 pm show, there is a lot of T&A shaking.  If I had young kids, not sure I'd want them watching this.

Speaking of which ... both Charlotte's T's and Michael's A are overrated.  Neither could dance that well.  

I picked Rumer to be the one to watch based solely on the GMA intro a few weeks ago.  She did not disappoint.

Comparing Noah to Amy Purdy is like comparing a completely someone with all four limbs  to Amy.  Noah's amputations are much more severe than Amy's.   With no left knee or elbow, it will be hard to choreograph something to fit the standard dances required on DWTS. He can move and has good rhythm and body presence but can he do a jitterbug or foxtrot in a way that competes with the others? 

And more importantly, could the judges please stop telling us how inspiring Noah is?  Yes he is. But this is not a competition to show how inspiring someone can be and how much they can overcome adversity. I'm tired of DWTS trotting out a token person with a disability each season so we can feel good about ourselves for how much they have overcome.   I don't want to hear judges react to an older or disabled person that they're great for their age or inspiring because they're missing a body part. I want to hear them comment on how well they danced. Period.

Chris is the whoriest of fame whores. 

Rumer

Robert

Riker

BOTTOM

Charlotte

Redfoo

Noah

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 5

I thought the only real stand out from last night's show was Rumer. It was a beautiful dance and she came across as really likeable. I wish the judges hadn't made their critique all about it being Val's time to win. I like Val, but let the audience decide throughout the season who should win. I'm looking forward to seeing them next week.

I also liked Michael, Robert, and Nastia. I thought Red Foo would do better and I didn't like Riker as much as the judges did.

I think that Charlotte and Keo will be eliminated next week.

I re-watched Nastia's dance and I've come around a bit more on it. I am still confused by the weird meringue like remix of New York, New York and definitely think it made the dance a bit hectic at that point. Also, I think Nastia's costume didn't lend itself to showcasing her kicks and leg work that I suspect was probably very good. That said, I sort of get what Derek was going for. With the song and everything, it was clearly an ode to Old Hollywood and the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers type of dance numbers. 

It didn't occur to me Rumer's had a lot of work done but I recall when she was much younger I felt bad for her because she had that gorgeous mother and she seemed to inherit her father's giant superhero jaw and she just wasn't pretty.  She looks great now.  

Actually before the show started people talked about how homely Rumer was in the rehearsals. DWTS Facebook page was relentless and harsh.  She cleans up real nice for showtime.

Rumer's jaw detracts from her overall beauty and there is nothing she can do about that.  She may have had her jaw shaved when she was younger but she may have just grown into it.   Too bad some feel the need to trash her looks.  Terrible. 

.......could the judges please stop telling us how inspiring Noah is?  Yes he is. But this is not a competition to show how inspiring someone can be and how much they can overcome adversity. I'm tired of DWTS trotting out a token person with a disability each season so we can feel good about ourselves for how much they have overcome

THIS!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Patti did a lovely job, but I'm not sure what's going to happen to her when the dances get slightly active.

THIS.  And I’m a Patti fan (‘Patti-Patti!’)….her name in gold was a bit much and she should have gotten all 5’s.  Now Artem?  Have that man cleaned and brought to my muhfuckin’ tent, he is HAWT!  Throw in Jeff Goldblum as well, he was looking mighty tasty.

Suzanne is another that should have gotten all 5’s, chile used to do cabaret dancing shows for chrissakes!  I used to have a Thighmaster and it does actually work, at least for the innerest of inner thighs.

Never heard of Robert but I found him adorable, in a Davy Jones (RIP) kind of way.

Charlotte rubbed me the wrong way with all the tit jokes, she’s gonna have to bring it hardcore to get some votes.

I’ma go ‘head and say it….Noah didn’t move me one bit.  IMO, it seems manipulative whenever the limited dancers come on. (ETA, heh, looks like I'm not the only one with this thought.)

I thought Michael Sam was good, Len didn’t have to be so critical.

Finally, Rumer – Did she get work done?  I don’t remember her lips being so plump.  Whatever, she surprised me and I’m rooting for her and Val to win.  (Dear Bruce Willis:  You still lookin’ good daddy, but couldn’t you have cracked a smile?  He did at the end, wonder if wifey had to tell him to grin.)

• Love 1

What bothers me a little about it is are the vets with horrible injuries really 'stars' or does ABC put them on just for the visual impact factor?  I mean, I love JR and this guy seems awesome too but it feels a little like it's bending the premise a bit.  Though is Charlotte a 'star'?  Is Rumer?  I'm not sure I'd want to be invited on solely because of some highly visible physical injury.  Do other vets get invited?

In my eyes, Veterans are the BIGGEST stars. Noah's also an endurance athlete (Tough Mudders, triathlete, Ironman) as well as a model, so he has as much right to be there as all of the female models that have been on the show.

On their live stream, he said he was asked because they were looking for an upper body amputee.

• Love 3

Oprah highlighted a sports bra company for bigger-busted women on her show more than once, so the information is out there. (And as a big-busted woman myself, I can attest to how awesomely that particular sports bra works! I don't worry about a thing when wearing it. It holds everything perfectly, no pain, no excessive bouncing... hell, no bouncing at all.)

Sinkwriter, do you remember the name of the website?

• Love 1

In my eyes, Veterans are the BIGGEST stars. Noah's also an endurance athlete (Tough Mudders, triathlete, Ironman) as well as a model, so he has as much right to be there as all of the female models that have been on the show.

On their live stream, he said he was asked because they were looking for an upper body amputee.

To be accurate, I don't believe Noah has competed in either Ironman competitions or any other triathlons. 

He certainly "deserves" to be on DWTS based on his level of fame. The bar for fame is set pretty low. I did know who he was before the show.  So he has that over Chris, Riker, Charlotte or Redfoo.

I'm glad that TPTB acknowledge that he was selected because of his disability, not in spite of it. I would also hope that he would be judged as a dancer, not as a disabled dancer.  If Nastia Luken (20-something gymnast)  and Robert Herjavek (50-something businessman) are going to be judged by the same criteria, then so should Noah Galloway and everyone else.

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 4

I watched and felt a little underwhelmed for the most part.  But I have to say this, I loved Noah.  I found him to be a lovely human being.  And also, pretty handsome too. 

I think he'll do well with dances like the Rhumba, but I'm not sure I want to see a Jive.  That's all about knees and I'm just not sure I want to see him being in that frustrating situation.

I wish him the best and happiest life a human can possibly have.

• Love 1

"14..14...14.. Did you know that Willow is only 14? Hey Robert, you're not 14 like Willow, are you? Let's take a look at a photo of Willow taken the year DWTS started. She was only 4! Which means she's 14 now..." That's pretty much what I got from the first half hour of the show. I don't mind the girl and I don't necessarily have an issue with her age (at this point at least), but show, please stop hitting us over the head with it!

Charlotte can go. Please tell me there aren't enough horndog males out there to keep her around. I don't think that will be a problem, though- I doubt many in that demographic are tuning in to watch DWTS, let alone spending time voting. And I can't imagine any other demo that would be compelled to vote for her. Tough break again, Keo. Though I agree anyone is better than the beast that was Lolo.

Noah...Hmm.. As someone who is physically atypical myself, I have complicated feelings about the show's treatment of such contestants. I don't know how Noah feels about this, but many people with "disabilities" don't want to be seen as inspiring for carrying on with life with the abilities we have. We don't exist to make people feel better about themselves and their own abilities. We're just living our lives, adapting as we need to, and there is more than 1 way to get things done in life(which is why I hate the term "able-bodied"- it's all about perception). Carrie Ann in particular comes across to me as one of those people who has abysmal expectations for people who are different. The minute someone rolls out of bed, let alone attempts to dance and have fun, she's weepy because she never considered that such people would have any quality of life. Then of course there's the issue of how to score him because they really can't judge him on some of the factors they judge the others on. So as much as I love inclusion in general, I think it gets tricky on a competition show like DWTS.

• Love 11

Thanks for mentioning that CED9. Posters please note that I posted the below in Noah's thread as well:

RE: this season - we will have zero discussions implying that PEOPLE with prosthetics are on the show because of pity or they aren't being judged correctly because the judges feel sorry for them etc... It's offensive and it will not be tolerated this season. Please consider this your only warning on the subject

So use people's names, stop using the word "amputees" as a pejorative, and while you can absolutely talk about how you feel people were scored too high etc...do not continue to imply that it's a pity vote or what have you. I do not want this to be a continuing issue like it was last season.

As always feel free to PM me if you have questions or issues.

• Love 7

I thought Suzanne looks amazing. She's 68. Wow. And I didn't see her lamenting about her breasts and she has two. Charlotte or whatever cannot leave my tv soon enough. An if she doesn't like her breast size she should have ordered a smaller size when she purchased them. Sorry. Large breasts that are real do not stand up by themselves. I cant stand Allison and I don't even know why. Yes, I hate the over-dancing, but it is something more than that. I like the 14 yr old and I almost never say that about the minors. Other than the 5 mentions at the top *snort* I'm glad they didn't go and on about it the whole two hours in the requisite, "please don't molest the child if you see her alone in the hall " edit and the "she cant wear this or that bc she is a virgin and 14" edit which gets old fast. . SO if there is a female gymnast in the cast, she is auto-assigned to Derek. Check. 

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4

I don't know how Noah feels about this, but many people with "disabilities" don't want to be seen as inspiring for carrying on with life with the abilities we have. We don't exist to make people feel better about themselves and their own abilities. We're just living our lives, adapting as we need to, and there is more than 1 way to get things done in life(which is why I hate the term "able-bodied"- it's all about perception).

This is exactly my feeling Katydid, well said.

• Love 1

Also, I don't know when they moved to four judges, but it feels excessive...especially when they all give the same score anyway.

Len is leaving at the end of this season as it is, but who knows if it will go back to 3 or they will find a new judge to replace him.  (And I hope to God they don't start looking at Mary Murphy.)

• Love 1

14 year olds learn to Cha Cha all over dance studios every single day.

This. Like everyone else, I'm tempted to say Willow is too young for this show, but then I remember that 14-year olds do in fact compete in ballroom dancing. Heck, 10-year olds do. Of course, they're usually paired with someone closer to their own age so maybe that's why Willow dancing with Mark is off-putting to some, but still. Pro dancers who start out competing at a very young age have to master all of these dances we consider "sexy" like the Rumba and nobody thinks it's odd. I'm not sure the fact that Willow is 14 is really a problem.

The usual onslaught of has-beens and who-dats

LOL. What a perfect description of the cast.

• Love 1

And what happened to the announcer who introduces the dancers and dance?

They cut him as of the last season of the show. I don't know why, but I liked it better when he'd introduce the couple & name the dance/dance style they were supposed to be doing.

• Love 1

I've never been much of a Suzanne Somers fan, but good for her for going out there in a spangly leotard. There couldn't possibly have been a less flattering costume, but she was like, "yeah? So what, check out my thighs."

I keep forgetting that Redfoo is Berry Gordy's son. I remember that he's the son of someone famous, but I can never remember who. Then I look it up and am surprised all over again.

Noah was fitted for a new prosthetic arm a couple weeks ago, and apparently Sharna and Noah's prosthetist have been collaborating on programming it for hold. Think it was said it's computerized like his knee.

Does he usually wear a prosthetic arm? I wasn't sure because he didn't wear one last night, and it seemed like that would hurt him more than not having a knee. Even in a dance like the cha cha, which I think of as mostly footwork and hips, the arm extensions play a big part.

I don't miss the announcer.  I don't care what the dance style is supposed to be.  The disembodied voice was never that charming to me, just more drama and formality.  

I wish they'd get rid of the in-house singers, too.  I thought Take Me To Church was kind of painful.   

This is going to be a long season. I would be happy to cut 6 or 7 pairs right now. Charlotte will never be good, neither will the Bachelor, Redfoo, Suzanne, Robert, Michael or Patti (though she is class all the way.) 

I think its way too early to say any of those people will NEVER be good. I've been watching this show too long to see many contestants get better and better every week.  Some start off very green but grown and learn well. Rob Kardashian is a good example of someone that pops into my mind right away. They may not ever be great like some of the ringers we've seen but I actually saw potential in Chris and Michael.  Considering all the supposed insider info that was floating around about how horrendous Chris was doing in rehearsals I thought he ended up being a pleasant surprise, especially with such a hard dance.. and I chalk it up to having an excellent teacher in Witney.  

• Love 3

Does he usually wear a prosthetic arm? I wasn't sure because he didn't wear one last night, and it seemed like that would hurt him more than not having a knee. Even in a dance like the cha cha, which I think of as mostly footwork and hips, the arm extensions play a big part.

He does not. I'm a leg amputee, so I can't relate, but almost all of the arm amputees I know don't wear a prosthetic. Most on the market are for aesthetics more than function because the fingers dont move independently theyre just locked in one position, and end up as dead weight and in the way so it actually is more difficult.

• Love 4