Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Family Matters

I like the occasional reminders of Frost, but Jane's hallucination leading her to solve the case is way too much for me to swallow.

Jane and Maura on their road trip were fun; that friendship is exactly why I put up with the rest. 

I knew the wife (the first one) was involved from her first interview; one, it's almost always the wife, and two, she just gave off that vibe.

I didn't quite understand how Frost helped Jane solve the case, but it is nice that the characters still remember him. Most times on shows it seems that once a character dies, he/she is forgotten. Understandably Lee Thompson Young's death is probably part of the reason Frost is still part of the fabric of R&I, but it's something that sets the show apart a bit.

And no cliffhangers! A rarity in season finales. 

• Love 3

The opening scene had me laughing, because I used to work with cops & EMTs who responded to a call about a woman screaming.  They broke in and found her tied to the bed with a man in a cape and mask lying on top of her.  Turns out her husband had climbed on to the dresser, took a flying leap, and hit his head on the ceiling, rendering him unconscious.  HEE!

• Love 1

I also enjoyed the 'no cliffhanger' ending, although I really wanted Kiki to show up before the end.

When I read the episode description and it said that the victim had a 'double life', I assumed that he had another family somewhere.  I should have realized that both wives were in on it, but I figured out that the Connecticut wife was the killer since she was the only guest star I recognized (from 'House'?).  When there is a bigamist involved, it's usually the wives working together or a teenager in the family who did it.  Speaking of Connecticut, that was an awfully dry-looking Connecticut as Jane drove up to the house!

That has to be, hands down, the weirdest and dumbest episode of the show. At first, when Jane started hallucinating, I was kind of excited because that's something they dropped off after the first season. And they basically make Jane's intuition silly or beyond reproach, so it was nice they would do something different where her subconscious worked it out. But that was the dumbest sequence/hallucination, especially since the only consistent thing we've seem Jane feel bad about is Frost, not the baby or whatever other two problems Maura said.

I didn't quite understand how Frost helped Jane solve the case, but it is nice that the characters still remember him.

I didn't get that either.  Can someone explain, or is this totally off the wall?

I had to replay it a couple of times before it clicked. Frost's figurine was standing over photos of the wives. The photo of Wife #1 was a still from the video in which she was talking about the note and phone calls. So Jane was reminded of that video and realized she could play it for Wife #2 to make her realize that Wife #1 set her up.

• Love 2

Thanks, Black Knight, I missed that too. It was actually one of the better, more tightly written episodes--I was just too tired to follow it. Even Angela was dialed down to an acceptable level.

...And no cliffhangers! A rarity in season finales.

Was this written as a possible series (in the U.S. sense of the word) instead of season finale? It sure felt like it. Maybe the R&I writers got the cancelation message intended for the Perception writers?

Were we supposed to notice that the blind-folded wife started screaming because she seemed to know it was blood and/or brain matter on her face rather than some other liquid? Because that was my first "clue."

They kind of left it open to interpretation as to whether the wives hated each other more or the husband more.

More Karaoke in the car with Jane and Maura, please.

Edited by shapeshifter

Was this written as a possible series (in the U.S. sense of the word) instead of season finale? It sure felt like it. Maybe the R&I writers got the cancelation message intended for the Perception writers?

I don't think they got their renewal notice until relatively recently, after this batch of episodes was filmed.

I'm hoping they're going to be receptive to the feedback they get to their usual end-of-season email surveys.  Mine basically boiled down to the message "No. More.  Angela."

I really enjoyed seeing Tasha again and learning that she is off to college. Loved the Barry Frost scholarship. I hope that we get to see Tasha again in the future. She has a nice rapport with Jane and Maura.

Nice to see Jane still thinking about Frost.

More Suzie, as usual...and Kiki!

I'm not looking forward to Kiki's becoming part of the show.  There are quite enough characters already.  It was a pleasant surprise to hear a male on TV speak respectfully of his female counselor and to endorse her  "no dating clients" policy.  If Kiki & Korsak means less Angela, I'll live with it.  

But why is pairing up just about any man and any woman okay on this show, when the two women leads are meant for each other, yet don't act on that?

Edited by Scamp

I'm not looking forward to Kiki's becoming part of the show.  There are quite enough characters already.  It was a pleasant surprise to hear a male on TV speak respectfully of his female counselor and to endorse her  "no dating clients" policy.

I agree; I really liked that Kiki was someone Korsak respected and admired, and that whatever crush he may be harboring was simply acknowledged and put aside because their professional relationship was more important.  I don't want to see her as a love interest.

I don't want to see her at all -- I'm a sucker for characters we hear about but never see, and after all this time hearing about her, anyone they cast is going to be a disappointment.  Plus, yeah - we have enough people already.

• Love 1

I love Angela. Totally appreciate her personality and her relationship with her children and the other characters on the show. My only problem is the writers haven't figured out exactly what to do with her. Talk about a job hopper!

• Love 1

Tasha was the homeless girl who went to school still and lied about having a place to live, and a guardian I think, she witnessed some murder? Anyway, she was the witness everyone was searching for and Jane found her at a warehouse of some kind and the bad guy found them soon after. They were stuck in an elevator and Jane lost the baby.

It took me half the conversation to remember her, so, yeah show maybe you should have mentioned her a couple times.

• Love 1

I like the occasional reminders of Frost, but Jane's hallucination leading her to solve the case is way too much for me to swallow.

It is funny - I'm as disbelieving of supernatural events like this as you seem to be, and yet, I found it moving. Especially the part where the custodial woman said she felt motivated to tell Jane that "everything would be all right" even though she didn't know why she was motivated.

Speaking of Connecticut, that was an awfully dry-looking Connecticut as Jane drove up to the house!

Yep, when I saw them, I said to myself "look at those California hills." It did take me out of it a little bit.

As for new characters, I don't mind new blood. Sometimes it sucks, but other times, on other shows, the new cast member quickly became a favorite of mine. In Bones, for example, Sweets (and then the rotating cast of interns - not all of them, but the majority). On the other hand, on NCIS, I seem to have been one of the few who never warmed up to Ziva, but liked Bishop from the start. Go figure.

Edited by clanstarling
But why is pairing up just about any man and any woman okay on this show, when the two women leads are meant for each other, yet don't act on that?

I love their friendship.  It's what keeps me watching the show because the actual plots are pretty lame.  But like a cigar is sometimes just a cigar, a friendship can be just a friendship.  I don't see anything romantic between them.  (In fact, if they ever did get together, I could see them getting fed up and breaking up both relationship and friendship.)

• Love 3

OMG, I've just been rewatching season 5, and heard (what I think is a throwaway line) about Bass' whereabouts in this episode! At one point, Jane and Maura are at the Dirty Robber, discussing colleges with Tasha, and TAsha goes to the restroom to wash her hands. Jane says they can talk about things to cheer up Maura. "BEan pot hockey tournament, visiting Bass at the zoo, the Jewish music festival..." Bass is at a zoo!!!! No wonder we haven't seen/heard of him in season 5.

Edited by craziness