Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Wedding Prep

I'm sorry, but I fly extensively on all kinds of aircraft, but aside from overseas flights with middle seats, I'm honestly not familiar with an aircraft that has four seats across. I say this because when my son flies with us, we would be a family of four, and I would definitely book the four of us together (and we often fly to regional airports similar to NW Arkansas) and I personally have never seen that configuration. I've seen three and two.

My grandson flew from Nashville to Newark, NJ on a jet that had two seats on one side and one seat on the other.

• Love 1

So this Anna friend of Jessa's is a close enough friend that she's a bridesmaid (?) but she stated during this episode that this was the first time she really spent any time with Jessa and Ben together. Granted, I didn't have a bridal party of ten, but they all knew my fiancé very well and we had spent a lot of time together. So was Jessa simply aiming for a huge number of attendants or are they actually good friends?

As for Anna flying solo with three children, well, she had the camera guy and probably a sound guy along as well. Not so alone. I doubt she had to wrangle those suitcases any further than the garage and that was just for show.

That "my best friend" thing is right out of Gothard's manual...they ALL have said that, TFDW and Priscilla included...just not natural to be one of the cookies in a cookie cutter baking sheet. You seek to please the group, not yourselves, really. A sad "fake-happy" life. JMHO

In all honesty I think making thirty plus pans of brownies is a total waste. Brownies go stale very fast, unless Sierra is doing all the baking the day before the wedding, those crumbled brownies will be like croutons. I don't know why they don't make life easy for themselves and just stick to candy toppings.

My guess is they filmed for show, but the actual brownies were bought at Sam's Club in a good sized tray. I've seen them there, they easily are the same sized pan shown on the show. Brownies are the one thing my mom still actually bakes, she buys everything else from the Sam's Club bakery, so I can't speak to their brownies, but everything else is really good. 

My maid of honor was my best friend from childhood, but we'd gone to separate colleges, and never knew each other's boyfriends. We spoke on the phone, and saw each other on holidays, but she'd only met my now husband perhaps twice before our wedding. That Jessa's friends hadn't met Ben doesn't seem odd to me at all.

• Love 2

IIRC, Anna Hackel is from New York, so I was surprised that she'd met Ben at all. I hadn't seen her since the Stink Bus Book Tour right before Mikey was born; I was surprised to hear that she'd been named as a bridesmaid. Likewise, I had no clue that the Duggar girls were friendly with Peyton Weiss (sat next to Sierra on the couch during the church lady volunteer scene). Peyton is the sister of Skylar, the hottie who helped Josh paint the bedroom in DC. Pity that he's now immersed in ALERT, even more than Josiah was; he might have otherwise been good for Jinger. 

• Love 2

How can it be that one's "best friend" has never lived near you? I think Jessa's definition of "friend" is quite different in her world. A long distance friendship would be, IMO, still a distant one, because friends experience things together like, going to the mall, a movie, out to lunch, etc..those IN PERSON social activities...and we all know the Duggar children are barred from such experience. So, how close can they really be? I also don't think the Duggar kids are really friends with any of the Bates children for the same reasons..their parents might be friends, so the childrens' interaction with each other are second hand.

One other thing, does anyone out there, in the real world know ANY professional wedding planner who bakes the brownies at the bride's house with her little siblings? NO, NOT AT ALL, they call a bakery and ORDER the baked goods to be delivered to the venue...Sierra, a professional planner? My foot....She is IMO, a nosy, like minded, "in your face" fundy woman-friend, who is pretending to live a "real working life"...how can she? she has 4 kids at home herself...who is watching these kids when she plays wedding planner? Also, a pro wouldn't have been so harried at Jilly's wedding ...they would be in control of it all..yes, even for 1,000 people...it's all the same to them.

• Love 3

I think insisting that ones definition of friend line up with X is kind of close minded. Children have always had varieties of friendships across time and space, through letter writing and short visits and all kinds of ways, let alone internet connections, which these kids may or may not have had access to. I think Jessa would have much rather have had her friends in the wedding and then Jinger, perhaps, but that simply isn't "done" in a Dugger world.

• Love 2

Um, does everyone here not know that ministers are only legal in certain states, the same a as doctors, midwives, teachers and barbers? It's really just a money issue - as the guy said, you submit the original ordination papers and pay a fee (in this case $5) and then he can marry in the state of Arkansas. But some states make it very difficult for ministers of other states to perform rites across state borders, no matter what their education level. This had nothing to do with fundamentalism and everything to do with government regulation.

Actually I did not know this. I had always assumed that if one was a minister in one church (United Methodist, for example) then he/she could perform sermons and wedding ceremonies at any United Methodist church in the country. I guess I'm wrong. Thanks for the info.

Did anyone notice Boob made a grab for a piece of one of the boy's pizzas (?James) after raving how great his was? He said something along the lines of "oh, that looks like a real pizza."

Looks like we've changed our opinions of the Dillard's & Seewald's marriages. We thought the Seewalds would be the "rocky" one but since they've had the time to know one another before & after marriage & no little blessings yet, it seems they have a better foundation for a successful marriage than the Dillards. We were hoping Derick would have shown Jill a more normal life by pulling her away from the Duggars, using birth control, having her continue her midwifery studies & possibly making plans to do overseas mission work. Those things went out the door as soon as they came back from their honeymoon & the pee (Jesus) stick dried. We also realized how immature married Jilly is.

If you look closely at video from inside the compound you'll notice that there are 1-2 harps in the living room. I thought I saw 3, but I could be wrong.  Which means Jill also left her harp playing behind too. Although one could make the argument that even though JimBob did purchase it for Jill, it was a costly item and should remain a family instrument to be used by Johannah, Jenny, Jordan, Josie or (gasp) one of the boys, in the future.

These kids meet their friends are national conventions. It's not surprising their "best friends" would not be local. 

One of my best friends I've only met once in the past 5 years I think.  I was on another message board and group of us became really close so we decided to plan a trip to vegas together.  That was probably 4 years ago.  We talk almost every single day, more than I do with my good friends that are local  lol

• Love 4

Right. Jessa's friends are all Gothard-approved. Every single non-family girl in her wedding party is a Gothardite. Amara Query and Jennifer Hartono were the other two; one is local, one a long-distance friendship. I'm frankly surprised that Jessa bonded with *anyone.* She comes off so cold, other than some scenes that are just emerging now with Ben as well as their social media pictures.

What's weird is that Jessa never posted a selfie of her with any of these friends of hers when they were in town for the wedding. You just saw them in the background of some shots that People took, or shots of the entire bridal party. No pics of Jessa individually with any of them in her published wedding album, either (her photographer published a TON of pictures). I'm not questioning her friendships, but I do find this exclusion odd.  

• Love 1

I don't think any of these friendships are particularly deep. It would be akin to one of us asking a casual acquaintance to be in our wedding. Part of me wonders if Jessa was afraid of looking like a loser if she could only drum up siblings for bridesmaids. Bin seemed to have a solid group of friends; Jessa probably didn't want to have to resort to recruiting Hannie and Jenny in order to balance out the bridal party.

• Love 2

How can it be that one's "best friend" has never lived near you? I think Jessa's definition of "friend" is quite different in her world. A long distance friendship would be, IMO, still a distant one, because friends experience things together like, going to the mall, a movie, out to lunch, etc..those IN PERSON social activities...and we all know the Duggar children are barred from such experience. So, how close can they really be? I also don't think the Duggar kids are really friends with any of the Bates children for the same reasons..their parents might be friends, so the childrens' interaction with each other are second hand.

One other thing, does anyone out there, in the real world know ANY professional wedding planner who bakes the brownies at the bride's house with her little siblings? NO, NOT AT ALL, they call a bakery and ORDER the baked goods to be delivered to the venue...Sierra, a professional planner? My foot....She is IMO, a nosy, like minded, "in your face" fundy woman-friend, who is pretending to live a "real working life"...how can she? she has 4 kids at home herself...who is watching these kids when she plays wedding planner? Also, a pro wouldn't have been so harried at Jilly's wedding ...they would be in control of it all..yes, even for 1,000 people...it's all the same to them.

Sierra's hot hubby was probably watching the kids. Sorry, but he is scrumptious.

• Love 1

Sierra is obviously not a professional wedding coordinator or event planner in any way. Personally I think she just likes being on TV and the Duggars like getting all the free help. I said the same in an earlier post - no trained, competent professional would have behaved as she did. It was laughable - a "trial run for the brownies."

• Love 3

Sierra's hot hubby was probably watching the kids. Sorry, but he is scrumptious.

AGREED. Glad someone else feels the same way. I was surprised to see she had a Latino last name - this particular group seems pretty homogenized. As a Mexican-American myself, it made her a bit more interesting to me. I'd love to hear their backstory.

• Love 1

AGREED. Glad someone else feels the same way. I was surprised to see she had a Latino last name - this particular group seems pretty homogenized. As a Mexican-American myself, it made her a bit more interesting to me. I'd love to hear their backstory.

They're both from Missouri and just from scanning her FB page, Sierra went to a "normal" high school. Her hubby looks to be a pastor or studying to be one.

• Love 1

Given that I think the relationship between Jessa and Jinger is genuine (unlike, say, Jill and Jana) it seems to me that Jessa, despite her show exterior does have what we might call the gift of friendship. As a tattler and all around goody-goody, it's not clear that Jill does. So I'm not surprised that Jessa had real friends (and I can imagine that they are meaningful - we know J Hartano spent a lot of time at the house, and I believe Anna Query helped as a second teacher).

• Love 1

What Wedding Planner would have to ask the bride & groom how many weeks til the wedding like Sierra did? The more I see of her, the more she gets on my nerves.

It was nice to hear Jana talking in the Nepali dinner scene. Just a nice normal adult voice. She didn't talk in the high pitched baby voice like Michelle & Anna (OK, Anna is not as bad as Michelle but she's getting there) nor was there giggling in between her words like Jilly.

Derick & Jilly took their chaperone duties much too seriously during the painting class. I think Derick should have thrown the car keys to Ben with a smile on his face saying "I've been in your shoes so here you go. Have some fun. We won't tell."

• Love 1

For once...I want to hear a courting couple say what's really on their minds. None of this "stirring up physical desires that cannot righteously be fulfilled' bullshit. A nice 'We can't wait to fuck!' would be so refreshing. I would love to see Michelle and Boobs's reaction.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 2

Actually I did not know this. I had always assumed that if one was a minister in one church (United Methodist, for example) then he/she could perform sermons and wedding ceremonies at any United Methodist church in the country. I guess I'm wrong. Thanks for the info.

Nope - it doesn't work that way because the marriage is a legal institution, not just a religious one. You have to be licensed by state. My uncle is a minister and married us but he was not licensed in the state we lived in at the time. So he did the entire ceremony, including the vows, but the actual pronouncement and signing of the marriage license was done by the minister of the church in which we were married.

• Love 1

Yes, it varies wildly by state.  Here in Cali you can use an ordained by internet minister.  I'd heard horror stories of ministers not showing up for weddings so I got internet ordained as a backup.  At the second wedding I found out the family friend photographer had done the same thing.  We don't have to pay a fee to the state, however, and get a separate state license.  

I thought it was funny that Jessa and Ben hadn't had a thought it seemed that their minister who lives in SA it seems might need a little something to be able to marry them in Arkansas.  Checking on the requirements for the officiant is frequently one of the first things I've seen people do here.  Jessa paying was cute and I think indicates the way their marriage may go.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

I thought it was funny that Jessa and Ben hadn't had a thought it seemed that their minister who lives in SA it seems might need a little something to be able to marry them in Arkansas.  Checking on the requirements for the officiant is frequently one of the first things I've seen people do here.

That seems like one of the things a wedding planner might be on top of . . . . ;-)

• Love 1

I read the boards often, but I never comment.  So here goes.

1.  If she is a fly by night wedding planner, I'm sure she's not getting paid.  Her "payment" is her television exposure.  Imagine how many Duggar followers will want her to "plan" their weddings.

2.  Maybe Josie's hair was wet from a bath? (doubtful, but hopeful")

3.  At the marriage counseling session, my husband and I were waiting for Boob to tell Bin, "Here.  Let me show you how to kiss Jessa on your wedding day."

4.  Sometimes my husband and I binge watch this show on the weekends.  We watched so many episodes one day, and we saw the opening credits so many times.  Hubby was tired of hearing everyone's names and he said that he was surprised that Josie wasn't named Juggs because they ran out of J names.  So now, whenever we watch it together we both scream out "Juggs" when they introduce Josie and she's blowing a kiss.  Bless her heart.  Whoever mentioned the word feral had it right.

I can't wait for the next episode where Jessa is shown being a turd.  It's as though she's proud of it.

Edited for punctuation.

Edited by selenitetower
  • Love 3

I'm sorry, but I fly extensively on all kinds of aircraft, but aside from overseas flights with middle seats, I'm honestly not familiar with an aircraft that has four seats across. I say this because when my son flies with us, we would be a family of four, and I would definitely book the four of us together (and we often fly to regional airports similar to NW Arkansas) and I personally have never seen that configuration. I've seen three and two.

I've been on domestic flights where the seats were four together--two facing forward and two facing backward in pods,  Like the station wagon of flying. 

I've been on domestic flights where the seats were four together--two facing forward and two facing backward in pods, Like the station wagon of flying.

I haven't seen that since the '80's! I would hate that, since like the Duggars, I have a tendency to get airsick.

I wouldn't last in that house for more than 2 minutes, since I can't stand kids.  They're noisy, dirty and smelly.  Just keep them away from me until they're about 15.

I could deal with the noise level because even though I was the third out of four kids, I'm half Cuban, and us Cubans have serious issues when it comes to mastering our indoor voices. At every family gathering we have, it's not uncommon to have 5 different (and loud) conversations going on simultaneously, so the noise level wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I was forced to be in that house, since I'd have no problem raising my voice to be heard when I want to speak. What does scare me away from ever marrying into that family is that one, the wedding planning would be a nightmare in dealing with Michelle, because she'd probably have a heart attack on the spot if I told her that a good chunk of the wedding "budget" was going to be spent on the DJ and/or band, because the one clear vision I have when I eventually end up getting married is that the reception will morph from a sit down catered dinner to an all night dance party. Then, even though I'm a Christian, I consider myself quite liberal in my views, which definitely include making a trip to my gynecologist for birth control the moment I get engaged, waiting 2-3 years before I even think about baby making, and also making an appointment for tubal ligation immediately after I deliver baby number 3. Plus no way I'd be willing to give Boob control of my life and let him cut me off from my "heathen" immediate family and force me to move to Nowhere, Arkansas. If anything, I'd be the one telling him "thanks but no thanks" on the "free" house and inform him that NYC is a perfectly fine place to raise a family, so that's where I intend on staying, and I want my future children to be able to see their maternal grandparents more than twice a year, like he has done to the Dillards and the Kellers.

• Love 2