Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Wedding Prep

Um, does everyone here not know that ministers are only legal in certain states, the same a as doctors, midwives, teachers and barbers? It's really just a money issue - as the guy said, you submit the original ordination papers and pay a fee (in this case $5) and then he can marry in the state of Arkansas. But some states make it very difficult for ministers of other states to perform rites across state borders, no matter what their education level. This had nothing to do with fundamentalism and everything to do with government regulation.

• Love 1

derickdillard has nobody to blame for this state of affairs but himself. He signed on to the Duggar dog and pony show; he's the "headship" of their household, and he had every ability to tell his wife that a) her parents don't run their lives as adults and b) they would be using birth control for the first several months to a year in any attempt to get to know each other and have a bit of freedom before the babies started arriving every year.

This is the thing that is so frustrating to me! Yes, they don't believe in birth control. But it appalls me that they also don't believe in Natural Family Planning either, which is actually relatively reliable (especially if ending up with an "oops" baby isn't the end of the world). We all know that they're tracking Jill's cycle anyway. They're just tracking it to maximize opportunities to get pregnant, rather than to minimize the chances. 

• Love 1

Did anyone notice Boob made a grab for a piece of one of the boy's pizzas (?James) after raving how great his was? He said something along the lines of "oh, that looks like a real pizza."

Looks like we've changed our opinions of the Dillard's & Seewald's marriages. We thought the Seewalds would be the "rocky" one but since they've had the time to know one another before & after marriage & no little blessings yet, it seems they have a better foundation for a successful marriage than the Dillards. We were hoping Derick would have shown Jill a more normal life by pulling her away from the Duggars, using birth control, having her continue her midwifery studies & possibly making plans to do overseas mission work. Those things went out the door as soon as they came back from their honeymoon & the pee (Jesus) stick dried. We also realized how immature married Jilly is.

• Love 5

I just checked, and Arkansas does require a state license specific to officiate weddings above and beyond any requirements a congregation may have for someone to be a preacher.  If you don't plan to do a lot of weddings, then you might not bother going to the expense of keep a state license current.  My guess is that was all the clerk was asking them about, and it's not really something most people would think to ask their person about ahead of time.  Particularly the Duggars, since I doubt JimBob does weddings.

My state doesn't have an annual fee or whatever for officiating weddings.  The clerk pretty much takes your word for it that when the person signs the certificate, they are affirming that they meet the qualifications required by state law.  So when our church's paid evangelist went to Kentucky to preside over a friend's wedding, he had to apply for a license from Kentucky and pay them a fee because even though he can do all the weddings he wants here, Kentucky wants their money before he can do the same job there.

• Love 1

I think both marriages suck. The Dillards are in love with being in love, and the Seewalds are in love with sex (and independent adulthood). Both are fun for awhile, but they'll both wear off, and then where will they be?

• Love 8

I am so glad to know now that there are many others on here who are not naturals with little kids.  I've watched some people who are naturals and they have started off by asking the kid "What's your birthday? or So, are you married?"  The seem to respond right away.

I was thinking that Boob and Mechelle spent a couple of years without chlldren, didn't they?  Josh didn't arrive for 2 or 3 years post wedding, IIRC.

• Love 1

I'm so glad they didn't add a turtleneck modesty shield to Jessa's gown.

Boob sounded like he was arranging a summit meeting instead of a wedding. "people are coming from all over the NATION".

• Love 5

I'm so glad they didn't add a turtleneck modesty shield to Jessa's gown.

Boob sounded like he was arranging a summit meeting instead of a wedding. "people are coming from all over the NATION".

Never fails to crack me up when Boob says this. Did the same thing at Jill's wedding, over and over. Except he forgets to add, "We actually haven't any idea who these folks are, but we have people coming in from all over for the wedding - aren't we just SO special?"

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

The Duggars have no common sense when it comes to event planning. We've seen melted root beer floats and now an outdoor ice cream reception in November. They don't have the foresight to understand that some ideas are good in theory but a disaster in execution. Especially when you don't have experienced people running the show.

A long time ago in the Benessa thread someone suggested pie instead of cake or ice cream. I thought it sounded PERFECT for a November but no one in Duggarland seemed to have thought of it. Sierra seems okay, but for that many people I'd hire a professional. Can you imagine how hyper the kids were after all that chocolate? That's when I'd leave ;)

Did anyone notice Boob made a grab for a piece of one of the boy's pizzas (?James) after raving how great his was? He said something along the lines of "oh, that looks like a real pizza."

Looks like we've changed our opinions of the Dillard's & Seewald's marriages. We thought the Seewalds would be the "rocky" one but since they've had the time to know one another before & after marriage & no little blessings yet, it seems they have a better foundation for a successful marriage than the Dillards. We were hoping Derick would have shown Jill a more normal life by pulling her away from the Duggars, using birth control, having her continue her midwifery studies & possibly making plans to do overseas mission work. Those things went out the door as soon as they came back from their honeymoon & the pee (Jesus) stick dried. We also realized how immature married Jilly is.

I think both marriages suck. The Dillards are in love with being in love, and the Seewalds are in love with sex (and independent adulthood). Both are fun for awhile, but they'll both wear off, and then where will they be?

Derick has been a disappointment so far in that sense. I know there is a lot we don't see, and Rome was not built in a day, but Derick has become so Duggarized. He and Jill were supposed to be missionaries, travel the world, eat food not out of a box....maybe I was expecting too much. There's time for all of those things. It just seems less likely now that we see how much time they still spend with the Duggars and with a kid on the way. I kind of wish they'd gotten their own home away from under JB's thumb, but I probably would not have turned down cheap rent either.

I still think Derick and Jill are probably just now falling in love. They couldn't in courtship because of the lack of private, lengthy conversations together. I think they're still in the dating stage emotionally, except now they're about to be parents. I don't see Jill as this deep conversationalist. What do they talk about besides the baby? If I were a fly on the wall in their house...I'd probably fall asleep. Their painting date in this episode seemed pretty dull. They should have gone to one of those painting places that is BYOB ;) I bet that place IS BYOB.

(Mods...is this too off-topic for this thread?)

• Love 1

I was thinking this the entire episode. Jessa, Anna, and I think someone else kept saying "It went good" or "He did good." It bugs me so much.

Me too! And these same morons think they are appropriate "teachers" for the younger ones.

• Love 1

I think Ben and Jessa come across looking like a better couple in some ways bc there were such high expectations of Derick and Jill and such low/non existent expectations of Ben and Jessa. Derick was a college educated man in a corporate job; no one thought he would whisk her away from her life totally, but I think I had some hope that she'd move towards "his" way of life -- finish her midwife training; work at least part time; have kids but not necessarily dozens of them; and generally just travel, do missions, have friends -- bc he'd want to see his college and work friends. Instead he's moved towards her way of life -- got her pregnant on the first night, and while they've done some things like going to Broadway and eating Nepali food -- life seems very Duggar focused and I can see them going down the road of having a kid every yr for a while and having the kids be their common bond for the next few decades rather than any organic relationship between the two of them. They hardly courted, married right away, got pregnant right away, and want as many kids as God gives them supposedly -- so with the frenzy of pregnancy, recovering from pregnancy, and child rearing for the next 20 yrs -- I feel like they'll have time for each other in about 2 decades.

Ben and Jessa OTOH -- they're not setting the world on fire -- but they're at ease with each other, which no doubt comes from the fact that they were together a LOT as they lived in the same house for months, so they're used to eating together, interacting with each other, working out together etc. Add to that they didn't get pregnant on night 1 -- they've had a few extra months to just exist as a married couple. I do think she's pregnant now (just the look of the last pic from their speaking engagement), but given that they got married in Nov -- they had at least a month or two where they were just having fun and getting to know each other 24-7 (since neither works) without dealing with pregnancy issues.

• Love 5

If you are going to place your children into what are essentially arranged marriages, then the Jessa/Ben model would be the preferred way to go. Everyone here talked about deferential people were towards Derick, which, in retrospect, I think gave him and the family a rosier picture not only of his and Jill's relationship (to some extent, that's not unheard of in any dating relationship) but also about Life as A Duggar overall.

Ben has had to put up with a lot of stupid, immature, condescending crap, but he's done so with a lot more grace (or just lack of comprehension) than a lot of people might. He knows what he's getting into, not only with Jessa, but the whole lot of them. If that's what he wants, at least it's his own choice.

• Love 4

I'm glad some others have chimed in to say that the licensing convo was just about Arkansas paperwork and was in no way casting aspersions on the credentials of their pastor friend. I remember my husband complaining about having to jump through hoops when he performed his first wedding in Arkansas. He expected a similar rigamarole when he did his first wedding here in Alabama, but it's a piece of cake by comparison.

Um, does everyone here not know that ministers are only legal in certain states, the same a as doctors, midwives, teachers and barbers? It's really just a money issue - as the guy said, you submit the original ordination papers and pay a fee (in this case $5) and then he can marry in the state of Arkansas. But some states make it very difficult for ministers of other states to perform rites across state borders, no matter what their education level. This had nothing to do with fundamentalism and everything to do with government regulation.

Mike Schadt, their officiant, is the head of the Central American SOS Ministries that the Duggars, and now their special friends, have gone voluntourising on for years. Benessa went during their engagement period (I remember the numerous "how beautiful are we" stream of selfies). I guess Mike Schadt had to get his "license" tout suite. He typically stays in El Salvador, from what I have read about his operation. That said, I do recall he's from Arkansas. I do believe that Benessa were so stupid to think that alone would be enough for him to officiate. Of course, now pretty much anyone can get a license to officiate at the drop of a hat, so yeah, I can see why that question has to be asked. 

I also think you can be a natural and still not actually enjoy it -

I've always been someone kids gravitate towards whether is family or perfect strangers. It can be fun but it can also be a pain. Like when my cousins visit their kids run straight towards me wanting to talk and play. I spend the whole visit with them even and not catching up with my cousins like I wanted too. Or trying to get through a store in a hurry and kids keep coming up to you. Or you go to restaurant hoping to relax and eat and there's a little girl at the next table who wants to talk to you and show you her new Barbie doll. It doesn't feel like you ever get to be off. 

• Love 6

They're just tracking it to maximize opportunities to get pregnant, rather than to minimize the chances. 

That's NFP as well.  Not everyone wants to minimize number of births.  NFP is designed to do BOTH things.

Jill's goal is to have as many children as possible. She's not leaving it up to God, and just seeing how things go.

The world should be thankful the Duggars held their girls until mid-20s. They won't be able to have as many kids as if they were married off at 18.

That's NFP as well.  Not everyone wants to minimize number of births.  NFP is designed to do BOTH things.

Jill's goal is to have as many children as possible. She's not leaving it up to God, and just seeing how things go.

The world should be thankful the Duggars held their girls until mid-20s. They won't be able to have as many kids as if they were married off at 18.

That's a manipulative way of saying they're letting God decide how big their family should be.

How do Jill & Derick plan to support a family if they end up with 10, 15 kids or more? Are they hoping they'll get a spinoff and become the next JB & Michelle?

• Love 3

I frankly would go as far as to say Jessa and Ben have more in common that Jill and Derick.  Jessa and Ben both come from large families.  Both have outspoken fathers.  Both seem to be searching for their own way to express or celebrate their faith.  And Ben, the more I watch him, seems to have the same sarcastic streak as Jessa.  He just has a very bad monotone delivery so you can't tell whether he's joking or not,

Derick, no matter how much he loves his wife, has got to be overwhelmed by the size of her family.  Coming from a family of two children myself, I know I would be.  But, in a way, that also seems to be what Derick is looking for.  A place to belong.  Other than possibly finding that with Jill, I'm not sure what else they have in common.

• Love 6

I've always been someone kids gravitate towards whether is family or perfect strangers. It can be fun but it can also be a pain. Like when my cousins visit their kids run straight towards me wanting to talk and play. I spend the whole visit with them even and not catching up with my cousins like I wanted too. Or trying to get through a store in a hurry and kids keep coming up to you. Or you go to restaurant hoping to relax and eat and there's a little girl at the next table who wants to talk to you and show you her new Barbie doll. It doesn't feel like you ever get to be off.

I've always been that person too! But the thing is, they do all of that (even when I was younger, like 10/11), but I'm not really a natural they just like me and I wing it.

• Love 2

I guess it's the generation thing but my mom cannot or will not understand how some women are not "children people." One of our good (unmarried) family friends does not have a great interest in children, more so babies. In her words, she just tolerates them. She's still waiting for her Prince Charming & says it doesn't matter if or when he shows up because children wouldn't be in the picture anyway. She leads a happy life, has a good job & plenty of family & friends. But my mom thinks her life isn't complete because she doesn't have a child.

• Love 1

I'm more of a Jessa type of person.  I feel awkward around kids. I see my nephews a couple times a year but I'm not all lovey and huggy with them when I see them. I might get a hug from one of them when we say goodbye- MAYBE. But they're also in the age where they're too cool for hugs anyways lol

• Love 3

Josie's pizza preparation.  She definitely should have been stopped from putting each ingredient into her mouth before applying it to the pizza, but I didn't think it was very nice of Michelle to basically make fun of her neglected five-year-old daughter to the cameras, saying that she would make sure no one else ate Josie's nasty pizza.  I wanted to scream at Michelle that it's HER fault that Josie is miles behind other children her age in terms of socialization, conduct, and communication.  I'm no perfect mother, but good grief.

As some people used to say in the deep south when I was growing up- I would have snatched a knot in that kid.  Who lets someone do that crap???  That was just nasty nasty nasty.  Nastier than a rap singer describing a portion of a woman's body used to have sex.  Did I mention Josie is spoiled?  I saw MEchelle holding her again in some portion of the show.  Come on!

I also don't have an easy way with children.  I feel bad about that because I know I am different.  

Don't feel bad.  I have three and love them all so much.  I was into children when they were children.  If I ever have grandchildren, I know I will be over the top for them.  However, I am  now not really into little kids either.  So many are not taught to behave and it drives me nuts.  I guess I'm just in that 'season of life'.  lol

Why does Anna say something like "we must purpose these times together" what the hell is she trying to say? Shouldn't her sentence say "we must TREASURE these times together." Wouldn't that make more sense?

OMG that line made me want to jump through the screen and shake that horizontal skirt off her body and let her defraud the world.  

What is with the hair in this family? MEchelle's looked like a dried out rat's nest when she was sewing. If someone breathed on it, it woul break. MEchelle, please beg Boob to buy you some conditioner. Poor Josie, her hair was the just opposite. What do they put on it to grease the top down? Or maybe it just hadn't been washed in a week. She looked like an orphaned street urchin.

LOL- I wonder if they still put baby oil on it to keep her a baby.

• Love 1

Well this is beyond strange, some of us are just not kid people, while others can't get rid of them!  I wonder why that is.  They must feel my helplessness and awkwardness.  I get involved when they are older, say 5 or 6, and highly dependent on the kid.  I have to see and connect to something in the kid.  My husband used to have a much easier way with children and I often wondered why it is natural to some people and not to others.

On a lighter note: I was very disappointed that they didn't show just how it was that Anna managed to get 3 children under 6 AND suitcases down stairs ALL BY HERSELF....suddenly she magically appeared at the bottom of the stairs going out to the garage...Their lifestyle is simply unrealistic and impractical. She also really needs to ditch those stupid "thumbs up" signs..the girl is a woman of 25, not a giggly teen. She, too, still behaves like a child who is playing grown up babysitter to her children...

Love how she was flying first class as well.  So much for saving the difference.  OH, and where was Mackie on the flight.  Anna had the two boys on one side but there was no sign of Mack during the flight.  Who was sitting with her?  Did Jana have to make the trip to help out.  I've flown with one toddler at a time and it is hell.  I can't imagine doing three 'littles' by myself for a flight.  

I'm with you on the thumbs up.  She even has her children doing it.  So annoying and childish.  

They'll be in the same boat with Jim Boob and J-Chelle: They're together for mutual convenience. It's not because they have a real relationship. I am still shocked the Duggar parents allowed that "marriage counseling" episode from last season to air; there were statements made that took my breath away. IMHO, of course, but I do not believe they have a happy marriage.

Bin and Jessa have 100% of the predictors for divorce -- limited education, getting married before age 25, precarious finances, no preparation for career or meaningful work. derickdillard and Jilly Muffin remain tied to her parents' apron strings and are already in a position that he will not be able to fulfill his stated purpose (going back to the mission field) because she does not have the education and will not have time or inclination to get it when the blessings are arriving 11 months apart for the next 20 years. One also has to wonder if he will follow through with earning his MDiv or if it will get shelved as he deals with the fact he'll probably have Baby #2 on the way by their first anniversary.

It's unfortunate that the Duggars don't love their children enough to let them experience life as adults before marrying and encourage them to get to know their spouse BEFORE getting pregnant. Of course, that would interfere with their main mission in life: Keeping the TLC dollars rolling in.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 4

I've always been that person too! But the thing is, they do all of that (even when I was younger, like 10/11), but I'm not really a natural they just like me and I wing it.

I think being good with kids is like being funny. I don't think you can learn it; for the most part, you're born that way. I've been good with kids pretty much always, even when I was a child myself. Maybe as a result of having [and helping with] five little brothers and sisters, who knows? But I have it and this is my theory. I had a wonderful childhood and I remember much of it. I vividly remember many of the feelings it engendered. How it was both scary - and fun - to watch a thunderstorm over the Lake. How much fun it was to get new shoes. That lighter-than-air glorious lift I got the first time I could read a book all by myself. The abject terror I felt when I was seven and my mother had, and lost, her last baby two months early - and I was convinced she was dying too. Because I remember these feelings so clearly, I feel I still "relate" - for lack of a better word - to being a kid and I think a lot of kids sense this in me. I guess I register as a kindred spirit with them. But I always thought everyone could do this. It never once felt like a skill or special ability. It's just part of me and why I think it's mostly an inborn trait.

• Love 4

Well this is beyond strange, some of us are just not kid people, while others can't get rid of them!  I wonder why that is.  They must feel my helplessness and awkwardness.

They're like cats.  They go to people who don't like them.

• Love 6

I think being good with kids is like being funny. I don't think you can learn it; for the most part, you're born that way. I've been good with kids pretty much always, even when I was a child myself. Maybe as a result of having [and helping with] five little brothers and sisters, who knows? But I have it and this is my theory. I had a wonderful childhood and I remember much of it. I vividly remember many of the feelings it engendered. How it was both scary - and fun - to watch a thunderstorm over the Lake. How much fun it was to get new shoes. That lighter-than-air glorious lift I got the first time I could read a book all by myself. The abject terror I felt when I was seven and my mother had, and lost, her last baby two months early - and I was convinced she was dying too. Because I remember these feelings so clearly, I feel I still "relate" - for lack of a better word - to being a kid and I think a lot of kids sense this in me. I guess I register as a kindred spirit with them. But I always thought everyone could do this. It never once felt like a skill or special ability. It's just part of me and why I think it's mostly an inborn trait.

YES! This is me. I can relate to all of what you said. Where I start winging it is when they're infants and they can't talk, they don't cry when I hold them, I just feel so awkward and I don't want to break it because it's so small and cute and alive. Ya feel?

• Love 2

I don't think that they were flying first class. I think they were on a smaller aircraft with two seats on either side as opposed to 3. I'm only thinking this because I just got off a. Delta flight with that sort of set up. I too figured that Mac and Jana were on the other side of the aisle when I didn't see her sitting with Anna and Michael.

What is up with Jed looking like a completely normal teen boy with normal jeans, V-tee and a ball cap. That is not standard issue Duggar apparel for the boys. He actually looked like any boy at my kids' high school.

• Love 1

I have a toddler (same age as Michael) and travel extensively with her and it's not exactly hell. She handles her own suitcase in the airports, and we tip well for taxi/car services to help with bags from cars to curbs and use those carts in the airports. Mac was probably on the other side of the aisle, as business class, there wouldn't be a way to have all seats together, and Josh likely had enough frequent flyer miles for upgrades - my husband usually saves all of his for me when I have to travel alone with my daughter.

Really, sometimes this stuff isn't that nefarious.

• Love 4

Michael really isn't a toddler any more.  Marcus should be a toddler soon.  There are a lot of smaller aircraft flying into Fayetteville so it could easily be one with four seats across.  I've seen them filmed on one before.  They could be in business class and TLC could have covered the cost. 

I'm sorry, but I fly extensively on all kinds of aircraft, but aside from overseas flights with middle seats, I'm honestly not familiar with an aircraft that has four seats across. I say this because when my son flies with us, we would be a family of four, and I would definitely book the four of us together (and we often fly to regional airports similar to NW Arkansas) and I personally have never seen that configuration. I've seen three and two.

Edited by GEML

Love how she was flying first class as well.  So much for saving the difference.  OH, and where was Mackie on the flight.  Anna had the two boys on one side but there was no sign of Mack during the flight.  Who was sitting with her?  Did Jana have to make the trip to help out.  I've flown with one toddler at a time and it is hell.  I can't imagine doing three 'littles' by myself for a flight.  

I'm with you on the thumbs up.  She even has her children doing it.  So annoying and childish.  

You do it when you have to, I guess...I'm far from the most "together" of people, but as a Navy wife there have been times when I have had to make some of our moves separately from my husband. I remember doing the packout and moving (alone)  from Connecticut to Scotland with a three year old and a two year old because he had to go ahead of me, and two years later flying from Scotland to Virginia, alone again, with a five year old, a three year old and an infant. A year after that he again had to go on ahead of us for a move to Guam!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 1

Oh, ok, yes, two and two. That was what I was referencing when I said Mac was probably on the other side of the aisle.

And my daughter loves doing the thumbs up thing. I will be honest and say I don't like doing it because it's a Duggar thing. But she started doing it because of something (don't know why - she doesn't watch - I have SOME standards !) and now I'm sort of roped into doing it with her because it seems silly not to because some television family does it.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 1

I'm sorry, but I fly extensively on all kinds of aircraft, but aside from overseas flights with middle seats, I'm honestly not familiar with an aircraft that has four seats across. I say this because when my son flies with us, we would be a family of four, and I would definitely book the four of us together (and we often fly to regional airports similar to NW Arkansas) and I personally have never seen that configuration. I've seen three and two.

Regional aircrafts that typically fly to smaller US cities are almost always 52 seat planes -- arranged as 13 rows of 4 seats each. Rarely they can even be 3 seats per row -- meaning 2 people sit together and the person across the aisle sits alone. In this case I guess Mac had to be directly across the aisle from Anna -- unless Jana was secretly with them in which case they could've been anywhere on the plane. Thank goodness Mac is better behaved than the Duggar kids as I bet she was fine being seated across the aisle for a few hrs. Can't imagine Josie handling that.

• Love 1

I wouldn't last in that house for more than 2 minutes, since I can't stand kids.  They're noisy, dirty and smelly.  Just keep them away from me until they're about 15.

• Love 2

Can I just say I hate the nickname Mack for a girl? Don't like Mykenzie either, whichever way they spell it, but Mack is especially grating to me. IMHO.

I'd guess they don't like it either, since they call her "Kynzie" for short ;)

I had a coworker who has a daughter named Mackenzie who they ended up calling Kenzie too, even tho I don't think it was "planned" as some nicknames are. Was funny cuz their first child was named Robert & they insisted he be called Robert, no nicknames for him (Robbie, Bobby, etc)

Is it just me or did Jessa seem just as surprised as everyone else when she said "he's my best friend and I love him."

I actually think Ben and Jessa are much more natural together than Derick and Jill.

Strange Jessa said the exact same thing Kim K. said about Kanye.

• Love 2

I am so sick of Jim Bob's inappropriate behavior and comments. What a hypocrite! It seriously enrages me. Stop trying to teach your kids how to kiss. That's disgusting. I hope your kids don't visit you. Too bad you brainwashed them!!!!

I'm in a hating-on-JBoob mood right now.

• Love 4

Watching the marriage counseling just makes me love and appreciate my parents more than I already do.

Amen to that. I don't remember Jessa's exact words but when they were heading into their "counseling session", she said something like they had been meeting with Boob & MEchelle for weekly sessions & it was nice of them to give up an hour of their time to do so. Good grief. I guess this fell under MEchelle's spending one on one time with her children. Jessa-check, Joy-check, John David-check, Jer/Jed-check, etc. And of course Boob had to bring up the physical side of marriage. It's like he has to weave that in or start with that, no matter what the topic is. We get it Boob, we all like to have sex but there are other parts to a marriage. I did like how Jessa said they have agreed to disagree on certain things. I would have loved to hear them discuss the money, finances, loans etc chapter we saw for Derick & Jill.

• Love 2