Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Wedding Prep

I also don't have an easy way with children.  I feel bad about that because I know I am different.  But the joy is just not there.  I do eventually form a good relationship with some kids, and enjoy talking to them and have taken them places, invented games, had great times with them, but it is certainly a small number of kids that I find a relationship with.  I have had horrible relationships with nieces and nephews because I've taken them places and done everything I think they would love and been rewarded with a bowed head and a comment of "oh, it was all right".  It doesn't take long before I give up.  On the other hand, I adore puppies.

I don't have excitement about tradition like the something old sewn into my wedding dress, and the sentimentality.  It just isn't there.  I don't care about  a lot of things, but, by damn, I'd make sure my guests were fed and had a place to sit.  So I guess I'm a Dugger opposite.  But that's my nature.  Many people think it is something like me feeling better than other people but it most assuredly is not.  It's my nature and I can't change it.  

• Love 15

I know how you feel, MicksPicks...I've never really been able to form relationships with children either. I do have three kids (who are now between the ages of 24 and 29), and it was different with them because the relationship was organic and formed before they were born...at the very least, I think, I need a relationship with a kid to start before they are verbal, else I just get tongue-tied.

I love children, but am just not a natural at interacting with them on their own level unless I have known them from day one and have been able to interact with them all along.

• Love 7

I also don't have an easy way with children.  I feel bad about that because I know I am different.  But the joy is just not there.

Why should you feel bad about that if that's who you are??  Unless they are your own children (Michelle, I'm talking to you.).  I have no interest in children and take absolutely no notice of them.  Like dogs.  I'm not drawn to them, I don't find any of them inherently cute just by virtue of the fact they are children (or dogs).   They go about their business, I go about mine.  Unless and until they create noise, mess, or smell that impacts me. Then I notice them and I don't like them. 

• Love 5

JosieGrossie at it again. Just plain nasty. Not funny. Grossness

Sierra, yeah is she getting paid otherwise she is a damn fool for putting up with the Duggar kids. Ice cream bar, haven't they learned from Jill's ice cream float disaster? IDK cheap ass wedding I would be embarrassed to not have any real food when I'm having company let alone a wedding.

Why does Anna say something like "we must purpose these times together" what the hell is she trying to say? Shouldn't her sentence say "we must TREASURE these times together." Wouldn't that make more sense?

• Love 7

I'm the same as you guys with kids. I've always been close with my nieces and nephews, but as far as kids outside my immediate family, I just don't relate. I certainly don't dislike children, but I was never the kid dying to hold babies at family events. I think Jessa and to a lesser extent Jinger share the same traits.

Does anyone know where this Hackel girl lives? I found it odd when Jessa stated they were such good friends followed by Anna stating she'd only met Bin a couple of times.

• Love 3

Why does 5 year old Josie need to sit on the counter to make pizza? I have visions of 13 year old Josie sitting on the counter, covered in flour, licking and sticking as she bakes treats for her family.

I think the term you were looking for is "white stuff". Just ask MEchelle.

• Love 2

Why does Anna say something like "we must purpose these times together" what the hell is she trying to say? Shouldn't her sentence say "we must TREASURE these times together." Wouldn't that make more sense?

Well, to be honest, the words "Duggar" and "make sense" rarely collide in the same sentence.

• Love 7

Mechelle has a Pfaff sewing machine. $1500. I guess it's an investment, but they don't make their own dresses anymore. Even buying at a discount would still be very expensive. It's not the kind of thing you just walk into a thrift store and find.

• Love 1

I'm not a professional seamstress here, or anything, but I find it strange that Michelle STOOD when she pretended to actually sew something...I would think that you need to be sitting when sewing, as my own mother was a professional seamstress in a factory in NY..they would NEVER have stood up to sew. I don't think she really can sew, just like they are all professionals, Jana a pianist, Jill practically an OB/GYN, Jinger a photographer..etc.

Anna's use of the English language have always been like nails on a chalkboard to my ears..she is getting worse, IMO, not better... It's from all that lack of exposure in the real world. She is stuck inside her own house with children under 6 all week long...the speech of her children is appalling... those kids need a real start in life. Get them the proper therapy and throw in Jordyn and Josie too...

• Love 9

What is with the hair in this family? MEchelle's looked like a dried out rat's nest when she was sewing. If someone breathed on it, it woul break. MEchelle, please beg Boob to buy you some conditioner. Poor Josie, her hair was the just opposite. What do they put on it to grease the top down? Or maybe it just hadn't been washed in a week. She looked like an orphaned street urchin.

• Love 5

So much of this episode seemed staged.

Why did they make the scene of Anna & kids arriving seem like they haven't been in Arkansas or seen each other for months? We know by what's on social media, they are at the TTH what seems like monthly or they all meet up on a road trip at regular intervals. They acted like they hadn't seen each other since the Smuggars moved. Wasn't there a bus road trip around the time of the Benessa wedding or was that Jill's?

Sierra, Sierra, why did she have to make the brownies at the Duggars? She could have borrowed one of their larger baking pans. If the brownies were being crumbled up to be used as toppings, why not make separate pans of each variety? Plain, with chips, with marshmallows etc. Or were they being served to go along with the ice cream & not crumbled? Either way, separate pans of each kind would be easier to make or maybe she was just trying out each variety in one pan. The rest of us can look at a pan & figure out how many servings you can get out of it or how many you need to get out of it. Not a big deal.

Loved the look on Benessa's faces when the man at the marriage license questioned them about the minister's credentials. I guess he knows the Duggars & their fly by night churches. For most of us that attend "regular" churches, it would be no problem. You could definitely see the wheels spinning in Janna's head "oh, we'll have to check on that."

• Love 4
Anna's use of the English language have always been like nails on a chalkboard to my ears..she is getting worse, IMO, not better... It's from all that lack of exposure in the real world. She is stuck inside her own house with children under 6 all week long...the speech of her children is appalling... those kids need a real start in life. Get them the proper therapy and throw in Jordyn and Josie too...

But it's not just Anna. They all mangle the English language on a regular basis. They are constantly speaking in sentence fragments, like they don't know how to string together a complete sentence, they misuse words and phrases, etc. I think part of the strange speech can be attributed to regionalism (like when they say "whenever" instead of "when"), part to Gothardism/their particular brand of religion (like when they "purpose" to do something), but a very large part is due to sheer ignorance/lack of education.

• Love 6

Is it just me or did Jessa seem just as surprised as everyone else when she said "he's my best friend and I love him."

I actually think Ben and Jessa are much more natural together than Derick and Jill.

• Love 5

Loved the look on Benessa's faces when the man at the marriage license questioned them about the minister's credentials. I guess he knows the Duggars & their fly by night churches. For most of us that attend "regular" churches, it would be no problem. You could definitely see the wheels spinning in Janna's head "oh, we'll have to check on that."

Oooh, just because I'm mean like that, I'd love it if some of these fudies found out that their 'so much more Godly [and better]' marriages weren't legal.

The shrieks that would ensue!  The rending of garments and the tearing out the hair!  The rushed huddle to hide that they've been living in sin!

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 2

Is it just me or did Jessa seem just as surprised as everyone else when she said "he's my best friend and I love him."

I actually think Ben and Jessa are much more natural together than Derick and Jill.

They absolutely are more natural! Jill and Derick just seem so awkward, and I think they rushed into their marriage. 3 months of courting not even face to face most of the time (correct me if I'm wrong about any of that) isn't nearly enough, which is why (IMO) Jill is still middle schooler giggly girl. Poor Derick is just so awkward and I feel so bad and second-hand embarrassed when he talks sometimes. I'm horribly awkward as well, but this is new levels of awkwardness lol.

• Love 2

Mary may not mind about the dress. I know I wouldn't. I'm about to celebrate my 17th anniversary and know that my daughter will never wear my dress. Not her style and I was about 100 lbs heavier than her current weight when I got married. I asked hubby about donating my dress for angel gowns. So far, no, as he loves my dress and can't part with it. Back to the show. Mary's daughter didn't wear it, she can't take it with her and this is a way for the dress to live on in each of the girls' lives in different ways. It looks like Mary and Michelle are doing different gifts for each girl. My grandmother and mother didn't have wedding gowns. If they had, I would have loved a small piece to carry with me during my wedding.

• Love 5

Once again, I just could not watch a whole episode.

When Sierra "I wanna be a Duggar" was helping the youngins make brownies all I could think was "Start by being an example to them and tie back your damn long hair!  Then have them tie back their's and teach them some hygiene."   I would never eat those brownies.

Josh and Anna do have adorable kids.  Mac, Mike, and Marc are all steps ahead of the young Duggs.  Mac sitting next to Josie and speaking so clearly - wow what  a difference.  Poor Jenny seems like such a lost girl.  Wish Anna would take her home.

• Love 2

If you go to all the trouble of hauling out the sewing machine, and getting your girls to run up and down the stairs to find the right thread, why wouldn't you just take the time and make like 20 of those little netting things?  Then you have one for everyone. Although, I still can't see the need for the sewing machine to start with. And what was that big string of stuff that Grandma kept playing with. I know that's what was tied on the netting, but still not sure what it was.

I agree that Ben and Jessa are more natural together than Jill and Derick. I think that Ben and Jessa had the advantage in that Jim Bob moved Ben onto his property and allowed Jessa all day access to him.  There was more hang out time. Jill and Derick had a more formal relationship because it was skype and then planned visits. Though, at the point of filming, Jill and Derick were married and should have a similar natural quality.  I still can't believe that Jim Bob had Ben move in with them. Even with little spies all around, that is way more permissive than a lot of families outside of Gothard would be.

The Josie pizza thing was really gross.  I agree that someone should have stopped her and taught her how to cut with a knife, even if it was plastic.  I can't imagine any of the other kids getting away with that at her age or even younger.  I noticed that Michelle holding Josie in the kitchen. Her back must have magically healed.

I liked that Jessa and Ben had a friend chaperone, but think that the dress fitting would have been something fun for Jinger to be a part of.  

I would like the show to do an episode on the day in the life of Jinger or Joy vs Jed/Jeremiah.

• Love 2

But it's not just Anna. They all mangle the English language on a regular basis. They are constantly speaking in sentence fragments, like they don't know how to string together a complete sentence, they misuse words and phrases, etc. I think part of the strange speech can be attributed to regionalism (like when they say "whenever" instead of "when"), part to Gothardism/their particular brand of religion (like when they "purpose" to do something), but a very large part is due to sheer ignorance/lack of education.

I was thinking this the entire episode. Jessa, Anna, and I think someone else kept saying "It went good" or "He did good." It bugs me so much.

• Love 3

What is that dark stuff on the palm of Ben (Seewald's) hand? Some kind of tattoo? 

I noticed that too when they were in the jewelry store. It looked like writing. Maybe to remember his next lines? Maybe they don't want him to say something stupid or off topic. I'm sure most of the teenaged Duggar kids already know what NOT to say on camera. I guess they got Ben on a short leash.

• Love 2

When Jill talked about getting pregnant right away and not really having any "just the two of us time" before it was "baby on the way time" it just made me feel incredibly sad.  Jessa and Ben have been married for almost 5 months, and while I am sure a pregnancy is on the horizon it is nice that they have had at least a little couple time.  

I was married for 8 years when my first child was born.  While we were absolutely thrilled to be pregnant, to be totally honest, there were times when the realization that our days of "just the two of us" were coming to an end made me just a little bit sad.  I can't imagine never having those years.

• Love 12

So much of this episode seemed staged.

Why did they make the scene of Anna & kids arriving seem like they haven't been in Arkansas or seen each other for months? We know by what's on social media, they are at the TTH what seems like monthly or they all meet up on a road trip at regular intervals. They acted like they hadn't seen each other since the Smuggars moved. Wasn't there a bus road trip around the time of the Benessa wedding or was that Jill's?

Sierra, Sierra, why did she have to make the brownies at the Duggars? She could have borrowed one of their larger baking pans. If the brownies were being crumbled up to be used as toppings, why not make separate pans of each variety? Plain, with chips, with marshmallows etc. Or were they being served to go along with the ice cream & not crumbled? Either way, separate pans of each kind would be easier to make or maybe she was just trying out each variety in one pan. The rest of us can look at a pan & figure out how many servings you can get out of it or how many you need to get out of it. Not a big deal.

I think Sierra was probably asked by the Duggars to get the littles involved. It seems like it would be one of their ideas versus hers. I could easily see Michelle, Jessa, etc. thinking up "What if you asked my little siblings to help you make brownies? We just want to incorporate family as much as possible.It means so much to us that my siblings are all involved and willing to help."  I suppose it's nice they paid or got her to do rather than making Jana do it as usual. I hope Jana made the most of that time. 

• Love 2

In all honesty I think making thirty plus pans of brownies is a total waste. Brownies go stale very fast, unless Sierra is doing all the baking the day before the wedding, those crumbled brownies will be like croutons. I don't know why they don't make life easy for themselves and just stick to candy toppings.

• Love 3

That Sierra lady bothers me. Just don't know what it is about her...Someone please tell me if they know a PROFESSIONAL/(REAL) wedding planner who is also a midwife, and dabbles in weddings part -time? Also does a real wedding planner go to the client's home personally and bake the brownies for the reception with the siblings of the bride to be? Certainly NOT? What do they do? A real wedding planner speaks with a professional bakery and orders "X" number of brownies to be delivered and SET UP properly at the reception venue. Don't they? That goes for all others services needed for the event. I think this Sierra lady is one of those "dear friends" who always seem to help out with "experienced knowledge" for free...isn't that how that ususally works out? I'm surprised that Jim Boob doesn't want one of his sons to learn how to cast jewelry from a jeweler so they can make their own engagement/wedding rings in the future  ..oh,, yes also those pesky "purity rings" for their sisters....I don't see the boys getting any of those rings..why not? Don't they also have to promise daddy and mommy that they will remain virginally pristine before their weddings also?

• Love 5

She said it was a test run of the brownies, just like last week (?) was a test run of the pies. I don't get all this test run crap. Seems very wasteful to me. She said they did the test run so they could figure out how much they needed to make. Isn't that just basic math? I know the Duggars aren't all that bright but wedding planner lady presumably did not attend the school of the dining room table. The pies, I get were for test but still. Jessa likes veggies, Ben likes meat. Why do you have to make 25 pies just to come to that conclusion?

Michelle, Josie does not like to lick the food and stick it on the pizza. She straight up sticks it in her mouth, spits it back out and then puts it on the pizza. Michelle knew she'd get flack about it so she insisted the Josie made her own pizza but when the cameras aren't rolling how much Josie spit is that family consuming on a daily basis? Gross! I would be absolutely mortified if my five year old son did that while he was helping me cook. As I just posted on the What's for Dinner thread, I just had him help me make meatballs. We started with clean hands and his hands never even came close to his mouth. Yuck!

There is plenty to snark on but if I were getting married now I would totally wear Jessa's dress. It's beautiful! I'm not the most modest person in the world but I am well endowed and I love my bra. It's near impossible to find a decent looking dress that allows a woman to wear a bra with straps. I found one for my wedding day but it took a while to locate. Her dress is beautiful without looking purposely modest.

• Love 8

So, derickdillard realized, just back in October that he had so many changes going on in record time? He and Jill didn't have ANY couple, just the two of them time, not even one day after they returned from their honeymoon and Jilly was knocked up already and not operating on all 4 burners. He has no idea what it is to be just a couple. That is one of the best times 2 young people, who haven't had much freedom, can enjoy and relax together without added pressures of courtship rules, chaperones and pleasing the parents, etc...I wonder who told Jill that she didn't have any of that "just the two of us" time? She would have never know the difference if you ask me unless it was brought to her attention.

I also don't know that any of these kids have ANY friends outside of the family..who are these close friends Jessa describes suddenly? How many ATI/Gothard fundamentalist families are there in Springdale AR for the Duggars to know and closely socialize with? Their daughters aren't allowed to know anyone that their parents didn't already know...just confusing.

The marriage license clerk's comments about the minister's credentials and certification in Arkansas was telling. Being such a religious family as they claim to be, they really know no truly ordained minister that could perform a marriage ceremony? Who would want their minister to be out of the country for most of your engagement period? It also STILL is just not appropriate for the parents to provide all of the pre marital counseling..just creepy and beyond words.

On a lighter note: I was very disappointed that they didn't show just how it was that Anna managed to get 3 children under 6 AND suitcases down stairs ALL BY HERSELF....suddenly she magically appeared at the bottom of the stairs going out to the garage...Their lifestyle is simply unrealistic and impractical. She also really needs to ditch those stupid "thumbs up" signs..the girl is a woman of 25, not a giggly teen. She, too, still behaves like a child who is playing grown up babysitter to her children...

I also am quite tired of the mish mash of timelines here. They throw out of sequence events in with these episodes that are presented to be chronological. It's a poorly edited, spliced together video.

This, folks, is just my humble opinion of what I managed to stay awake for last night... glad it's on the DVR because I"ll watch it again when I can stay awake.

The seriously need some new staff at TLC on this trainwreck of a program.

• Love 4

I am still nauseated when I consider Josie's sticking food into her mouth, licking it and shoving it back into a dish being cooked for the family. And the hair. OMG.

I wonder how much additional money Jim Boob pocketed re: the wedding because all the labor was "volunteer". We all know that TLC paid for it; we can only imagine what the budget was in reality. And it's unfortunate that Binessa does not have the emotional depth to feel shame in the fact they soaked their guests for thousands in gifts while treating them to a dish of ice cream, DNA-riddled brownies, and not even a chair to sit down in while eating them.

• Love 6

I'm not a professional seamstress here, or anything, but I find it strange that Michelle STOOD when she pretended to actually sew something...I would think that you need to be sitting when sewing, as my own mother was a professional seamstress in a factory in NY..they would NEVER have stood up to sew.

If my back is hurting, I have a stand up station in my sewing room.  I can't do anything particularly fast, it's too difficult to really control, but it is totally possible to sew standing up.  Probably not under OSHA though.  But most people's sewing tables don't meet those requirements either.

• Love 1

I am a Josie apologist in general and feel like her parents have done her such a disservice, but I absolutely had to change the channel while she was making that pizza. I was so grossed out. There is no reason Josie shouldn't have been reprimanded for that or for sitting on the counter while making the pizza. I'm sure she wasn't directed to wash her hands after making her pizza either. Just nasty. I was making cupcakes with my goddaughter and I was watching her like a hawk the entire time because I didn't want to chance her sticking her fingers near her nose or mouth and touching the ingredients we were using.

I don't fault Jessa for not being natural with children. I'm not either. I don't do baby talk well and I struggle with relating to kids under a certain age.

If my back is hurting, I have a stand up station in my sewing room.  I can't do anything particularly fast, it's too difficult to really control, but it is totally possible to sew standing up.  Probably not under OSHA though.  But most people's sewing tables don't meet those requirements either.

I've also sewn while standing. It's not impossible and I've been sewing for 20 years.

• Love 1

So, derickdillard realized, just back in October that he had so many changes going on in record time? He and Jill didn't have ANY couple, just the two of them time, not even one day after they returned from their honeymoon and Jilly was knocked up already and not operating on all 4 burners. He has no idea what it is to be just a couple. That is one of the best times 2 young people, who haven't had much freedom, can enjoy and relax together without added pressures of courtship rules, chaperones and pleasing the parents, etc...I wonder who told Jill that she didn't have any of that "just the two of us" time? She would have never know the difference if you ask me unless it was brought to her attention.

derickdillard has nobody to blame for this state of affairs but himself. He signed on to the Duggar dog and pony show; he's the "headship" of their household, and he had every ability to tell his wife that a) her parents don't run their lives as adults and b) they would be using birth control for the first several months to a year in any attempt to get to know each other and have a bit of freedom before the babies started arriving every year. What was Jilly Muffin going to do -- divorce him? Their lack of "couple time" is going to loom large sooner than later. These two don't even know each other; for all the togetherness, one has to wonder if they even talk. They don't have any chance to get to the "we" stage at all. And her parents will be running their lives until he puts his foot down, moves out of the monstrosity they currently call "home" and tells his wife they will live in a home he can afford to provide for their family, for starters.

• Love 10

I think Jer and Jed might be the first Duggar males to escape puberty with their hairlines and their looks intact. I probably just totally jinxed them but I had to say it.

Not only are they the best looking of the boys, they appear to be more intelligent than the others.  Hopefully they can escape at some point.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the older girls and John David are the only ones who will get any help from their parents.  The howlers will be left to fend for themselves, and the little girls will assume the roles housekeepers and caretakers for their parents and Josie, even though they have not had as much training as their older sisters.  

The quality of "education" in the family appears to have taken a nose dive beginning with the howlers.  Aside from Jer and Jed those poor kids appear to be barely literate.  I think Josiah was the last one to get his GED.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who noticed Michelle say to Hanny:

"Hanny go get the sewing machine!"

Now I'm not a sewer, but aren't those machines a bit heavy for a 8-9 year old? Even the lightweight ones appear to need a slight bit a muscle to carry downstairs. I could see Joy carrying it no problem, but Hanny? WTF.

Next it'll be, "Hanny go get the harp." It appears they're training Johanna to take over the rolls of Jessa and Jill. Poor kid.

As for the part when the municipal worker asked if the minister performing the ceremony had a legit license I was floored!  Hahaha. I'm starting to think that they're making Jessa's wedding a bit more extravagant with 1800 guests and an international minister. Maybe Jessa has more international followers??

• Love 1

JosieGrossie at it again. Just plain nasty. Not funny. Grossness

Sierra, yeah is she getting paid otherwise she is a damn fool for putting up with the Duggar kids. Ice cream bar, haven't they learned from Jill's ice cream float disaster? IDK cheap ass wedding I would be embarrassed to not have any real food when I'm having company let alone a wedding.

I'm lovin' that "Josie Grossie" nickname. Hilarious - LOL! Not to mention spot-on. It's really sickening to watch Josie in the kitchen doing just about anything. Yuck.

• Love 3

I wonder if it's standard operating procedure to ask license applicants if their minister is properly credentialed. In Jessa's defense it's not something I would have thought about either. I'm sure there have been enough debaucles to where the clerks have made it a part of their Q&A.

• Love 2

Mary may not mind about the dress. I know I wouldn't. I'm about to celebrate my 17th anniversary and know that my daughter will never wear my dress. Not her style and I was about 100 lbs heavier than her current weight when I got married. I asked hubby about donating my dress for angel gowns. So far, no, as he loves my dress and can't part with it. Back to the show. Mary's daughter didn't wear it, she can't take it with her and this is a way for the dress to live on in each of the girls' lives in different ways. It looks like Mary and Michelle are doing different gifts for each girl. My grandmother and mother didn't have wedding gowns. If they had, I would have loved a small piece to carry with me during my wedding.

Agree - not everyone is permanently-attached to their wedding dresses. We were cleaning the attic at my parents after my Dad passed away and my Mom ran across the cardboard box in which her dress had spent the previous 43 years. She was married in the 50s, long before anyone except royalty thought about "preserving" a wedding gown. Her dress was actually disintegrating. When I went to pick up her veil, it literally fell to dust in my fingers. Mom said "Oh well, it's just a thing," snipped a 3-inch square of silk taffeta from the skirt to keep in her handkerchief drawer, then we put the whole box in the trash.

• Love 1

Wasn't Sierra also the person who magically fixed Micheal's bday cake?

Yep, she was! When I first saw her on Jill's wedding episode I was like, "Oh! I know her!" I thought she was the one that picked up Michelle's trick trash at the moms club meeting and got rewarded for doing due diligence with Michelle's book. Then I remembered, "You need to put it in the freezer because your hands are warm and it'll be an icky gooey mess..."

• Love 1

derickdillard has nobody to blame for this state of affairs but himself. He signed on to the Duggar dog and pony show; he's the "headship" of their household, and he had every ability to tell his wife that a) her parents don't run their lives as adults and b) they would be using birth control for the first several months to a year in any attempt to get to know each other and have a bit of freedom before the babies started arriving every year. What was Jilly Muffin going to do -- divorce him? Their lack of "couple time" is going to loom large sooner than later. These two don't even know each other; for all the togetherness, one has to wonder if they even talk. They don't have any chance to get to the "we" stage at all. And her parents will be running their lives until he puts his foot down, moves out of the monstrosity they currently call "home" and tells his wife they will live in a home he can afford to provide for their family, for starters.

So true. Boob has been running, and will continue to run, Jill & Derrick's lives. Until - and unless - Derrick grows up, grows a pair and tells Boob to butt the hell out. However I've really been surprised to see what a passive individual Derrick seems to be. PS - I think Boob would still be running Josh & Anna's too, if they hadn't gotten out of Dodge.

• Love 2

Mary may not mind about the dress. I know I wouldn't.

Neither would I. Plus, Mary gave the dress to Michelle, and IMO, it's Michelle's property to do as she wishes. I only got married a few years ago and still have the dress, but I couldn't even tell you where it is right now. Storage, possibly? Or perhaps at my parents' house. Either way, to me, it's just a dress. I think it's a beautiful gesture to snip off a bit of Mary's dress so that the daughters have it with them on their wedding day.

I wonder if it's standard operating procedure to ask license applicants if their minister is properly credentialed. In Jessa's defense it's not something I would have thought about either. I'm sure there have been enough debaucles to where the clerks have made it a part of their Q&A.

My husband and I were asked when we applied for our license, but I don't know if every couple is asked.

That Sierra lady bothers me. Just don't know what it is about her...Someone please tell me if they know a PROFESSIONAL/(REAL) wedding planner who is also a midwife, and dabbles in weddings part -time? Also does a real wedding planner go to the client's home personally and bake the brownies for the reception with the siblings of the bride to be? Certainly NOT? What do they do? A real wedding planner speaks with a professional bakery and orders "X" number of brownies to be delivered and SET UP properly at the reception venue. Don't they? That goes for all others services needed for the event. I think this Sierra lady is one of those "dear friends" who always seem to help out with "experienced knowledge" for free...isn't that how that ususally works out? I'm surprised that Jim Boob doesn't want one of his sons to learn how to cast jewelry from a jeweler so they can make their own engagement/wedding rings in the future  ..oh,, yes also those pesky "purity rings" for their sisters....I don't see the boys getting any of those rings..why not? Don't they also have to promise daddy and mommy that they will remain virginally pristine before their weddings also?

Agree. We may be dealing with "Duggar-speak" here. The impression I get is that Sierra is a "professional wedding/party planner" in the same way Jana is a concert pianist. I think she's just someone who likes weddings, thinks of herself as very organized and may have volunteered to help a few local fundie brides in the past. I think she'd be completely out of her element if, for example, she ever had to take on all the planning and logistics involved in a traditional Italian wedding in the Northeast. These have been some of the most wonderful parties I've ever been to. So much emphasis on hospitality and quality! And two things for which the Duggars are definitely not renown. 

She said it was a test run of the brownies, just like last week (?) was a test run of the pies. I don't get all this test run crap. Seems very wasteful to me. She said they did the test run so they could figure out how much they needed to make. Isn't that just basic math? I know the Duggars aren't all that bright but wedding planner lady presumably did not attend the school of the dining room table. The pies, I get were for test but still. Jessa likes veggies, Ben likes meat. Why do you have to make 25 pies just to come to that conclusion?

Michelle, Josie does not like to lick the food and stick it on the pizza. She straight up sticks it in her mouth, spits it back out and then puts it on the pizza. Michelle knew she'd get flack about it so she insisted the Josie made her own pizza but when the cameras aren't rolling how much Josie spit is that family consuming on a daily basis? Gross! I would be absolutely mortified if my five year old son did that while he was helping me cook. As I just posted on the What's for Dinner thread, I just had him help me make meatballs. We started with clean hands and his hands never even came close to his mouth. Yuck!

There is plenty to snark on but if I were getting married now I would totally wear Jessa's dress. It's beautiful! I'm not the most modest person in the world but I am well endowed and I love my bra. It's near impossible to find a decent looking dress that allows a woman to wear a bra with straps. I found one for my wedding day but it took a while to locate. Her dress is beautiful without looking purposely modest.

I think they have all these "test runs" because they really haven't a clue as to what they're doing. Trained, competent professionals would never need test runs.

• Love 3

Yeah, nothing wrong with the wedding dress. My mom cut hers up for us when we were kids to use for dress up (to make it short enough so we wouldn't trip over it). When we were older, we destroyed it further by cutting it up more, and adding fake blood, then putting it on this creepy 1950s 4 foot tall doll and hung it from the tree in our front yard for Halloween. I don't think I saw it after that. Or I suppose it could have just sat in a closet because it's not like we would ever use it for our wedding.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who noticed Michelle say to Hanny:

"Hanny go get the sewing machine!"

Now I'm not a sewer, but aren't those machines a bit heavy for a 8-9 year old? Even the lightweight ones appear to need a slight bit a muscle to carry downstairs.

It's probably a lot more appropriate to ask an 8 year old to carry a heavy sewing machine than it is to ask them to build your house... and the Duggars did that too.

I got my first sewing machine when I was 8.   It wasn't that heavy- like 10-12 pounds? It was really no problem at all. My current machine is about 24 pounds, but it is a lot more metal than plastic.  I have trouble carrying it long distance...  so that would be a lot to ask of a child. Michelle probably couldn't even lift a spool of thread though.

• Love 3

The Duggars have no common sense when it comes to event planning. We've seen melted root beer floats and now an outdoor ice cream reception in November. They don't have the foresight to understand that some ideas are good in theory but a disaster in execution. Especially when you don't have experienced people running the show.

• Love 2