Type keyword(s) to search

The Jinx: The Life And Deaths Of Robert Durst - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I feel your pain, shriekingeel. Please repress your (understandably) sickened urges and finish, it's totally with it!

Random question: Was "Galveston" the original or the 2008 remix? Not a big country can, but every once in awhile, a classic will jump out at me and I must have it! :p

It sounded like the 2008 remix to me but the introduction seemed shorter than I remembered so I'm not entirely sure.  I do remember laughing when the final credits rolled for the episode though since I found myself breaking out into the song every time the city name was mentioned.  Heh.

• Love 3

I went to law school at the University of Texas, where Dick DeGuerin also attended, and it was good to see that his reputation of being a bad ass defense lawyer is accurate.  From what we saw of the trial, the prosecutors were completely out performed.  They looked like bumbling fools next to DeGuerin and his co-counsel.

I second that.  Was it ever explained why they only charged him with 1st degree murder? Doesn't that mean they had to proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that RD planned on killing Morris?  What evidence did they have of that?  RD attorney's never said he didn't kill him but it was in self defense.  What did the DA have to prove otherwise?  Morris had a reputation as being a mean old man so it was not much of a leap that he could have gone to RD's apartment and demanded money they got in a fight and Morris got killed.  Just as RD is such a sociopath he could have easily decided Morris had to die because he was demanding money.  I would think that RD would have planned killing Morris in Morris's own apartment instead of his because it would be harder to defend with Morris blood discovered in his own apartment. 

I think the everyone thought that normal people (the jury) would be so horrified at the way RD disposed of the body they would convict him no matter what they presented in the case.  I think most, if not all (minus the RD fan club president) of the jury wanted to convict him but were not given any options after sitting through what appeared to be a very poor prosecution case against RD.

And knowing RD was a man of means why didn't the charge him from killing to disposing of a body?  Why not charge him with everything they could?  Whoever made that call must be kicking themselves. 

• Love 3

And knowing RD was a man of means why didn't the charge him from killing to disposing of a body? Why not charge him with everything they could? Whoever made that call must be kicking themselves.

Durst was acquitted of murder, but plead guilty to three other charges. He spent about three years in prison, and was paroled in 2005.

http://chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Durst-could-get-out-of-jail-in-less-than-a-year-1478827.php

"This is a fair resolution to this case, and this case is over," Durst defense attorney Dick DeGuerin declared after his client pleaded guilty to two counts of bail jumping and one of evidence tampering.

http://theinterrobang.com/former-ada-jeanine-pirro-was-terrified-robert-durst-would-kill-her/

Interesting interview with former Assistant District Attorney Kevin Hynes:

In an exclusive interview with Ron Bennington and Gail Bennington this week on SiriusXM’s “Bennington” Show, former Westchester County, New York assistant district attorney Kevin Hynes said that he believes the wealth and power of the Durst family caused a cover up in the investigation of Robert Durst for the murder of his wife Kathleen.  His comments also seem to suggest that former prosecutor Jeanine Pirro may have had involvement in that cover up or at least may have been influenced by the Durst family.

• Love 2

Finally mainlined the Jinx today while recovering from surgery, and as I read all this coverage, this line: 

His lawyer, like, lurches into the frame all "YOU KNOW WE CAN HEAR YOU RIGHT oh god fuckety fuck,"

almost made me bust my staples, perhaps because I can hear you saying it aloud.  

Man that was creepy as hell when he was talking to himself.  And then again later, of course.  Who does that?

• Love 2

Hi guys! Been editing my last post with additional links, but I guess there's the limit, so here's another couple:

Robert was indicted on federal weapon charge in my hometown of NOLA yesterday:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-grand-jury-orleans-indicts-durst-weapon-charge-30233601

Robert sent a letter to the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-durst-letter-20150409-story.html

Robert went-a-courtin' (and another letter)

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-durst-relationship-details-20150325-story.html#page=2

• Love 4

I just finished the recently updated version of "A Deadly Secret - The Bizarre and Chilling Story of Robert Durst" by Matt Birkbeck. What a riveting and well-researched read. I normally take forever to read a book but this one took me only a day. I thought it would be a rehash of a lot of what was presented in The Jinx. But instead It answered a number of puzzling questions that the documentary left hanging. Plus it gives a completely different perspective about some of the major players. (However, I don't want to give away any spoilers in case anyone else wants to read it.)

Also, in case anyone is still as fascinated by this teflon psychopath as I am - there's a Facebook group called Robert Durst Murder Trial. Looks interesting.

• Love 1

... (However, I don't want to give away any spoilers in case anyone else wants to read it.) ...

If anybody else is interested, you can always use spoiler tags.  ;)  If it's just me, send me a PM, please.  I want to know what you found out.

If anybody else is interested, you can always use spoiler tags.  ;)  If it's just me, send me a PM, please.  I want to know what you found out.

I'm interested, for sure, because I'll probably never read the book.  

So if you get a PM with the scoop, please PM me, too!!!   :-)

I just finished the recently updated version of "A Deadly Secret - The Bizarre and Chilling Story of Robert Durst" by Matt Birkbeck. What a riveting and well-researched read. I normally take forever to read a book but this one took me only a day. I thought it would be a rehash of a lot of what was presented in The Jinx. But instead It answered a number of puzzling questions that the documentary left hanging. Plus it gives a completely different perspective about some of the major players. (However, I don't want to give away any spoilers in case anyone else wants to read it.)

Also, in case anyone is still as fascinated by this teflon psychopath as I am - there's a Facebook group called Robert Durst Murder Trial. Looks interesting.

If anybody else is interested, you can always use spoiler tags. 

Yes please to the spoiler tags.

Also, would you please provide a link to the Facebook page? I tried googling—nada.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for posting the link.....There's a guy in the group who says he served time with Durst. Yikes!

I was hoping everyone would just run out and buy the book. lol But now that I figured out how to use the spoiler alert here's what struck me:   

Gilberte Najamy was loved by the media because she inserted herself into the story at any opportunity she could. She would repeatedly tell people that she was Kathie's "best-friend" and that on the night Kathie disappeared Kathie had been a guest at a small family gathering at Gilberte's. Well the truth was somewhat different. Gilberte was one of Kathie's many friends. But Kathie tended to keep her friends compartmentalized. And Gilberte was her drug contact friend - specifically cocaine. And the party that Gilberte threw that evening was not a small family function. It was a fairly wild drug party. Interestingly enough, the police never interviewed the people at that party. But years later, Kathie's friend, Ellen Strauss, spoke to a man who had been at that party. He reports that Gilberte provided Kathie with copious amounts of cocaine and booze, all the while egging her to go home and confront Robert to let him know she wanted a divorce on her terms. Many at the party thought that Gilberte, who was a lesbian, was in love with Kathie. So by not disclosing Kathie's state of mind that night, Gilberte was withholding crucial information from the investigators. She also lied not only to the police and the media but to Kathie's friends and family. Gilberte would tell anyone who would listen that Kathie's death was the reason she lost her business as a caterer - because she was so obsessed with finding the truth about Kathie's death she couldn't focus on her business. In reality, Gilberte was a convicted felon with a total of 6 arrests including possession of drugs with intent to sell. Gilberte also sold the movie rights to her "story" - meaning the story of Kathie Durst. When Joe Becerra, the investigator for the NYS police (as of 1999) told her that this jeopardized her potential position as a witness should the case come to trial, Gilberte became angry at him. Soon after Gilberte spoke to Jeanine Pirro, the then Westchester DA and complained about Becerra. She spoke to the right person. Pirro had been taking credit for Becerra's work and was angry at him for discussing the case in an interview with Vanity Fair magazine. Pirro wanted all the credit for the investigation although she was only involved when there was publicity to be had. So after Gilberte complained to her, Pirro had Becerra, who had worked for years on the case, taken off the case. Later Pirro found out about Gilberte's history as a felon and dropped her like a hot potato. None of this information was presented in The Jinx. (I later read an interview with author, Matt Birkbeck, who said he had been asked to appear on the documentary but declined.) Another bit of information i found confusing in the documentary was the issue of the doorman who said he had seen Kathie at the West End Ave apartment. It turns out that he was an alcoholic who was often not where he was supposed to be when he was on duty. So he either lied or didn't remember clearly. That wasn't clearly explained in the documentary either. The book also goes further into detail about Durst's bizarre behavior and the strong possibility that he could be a serial killer with more than 3 victims. But you'll really have to read the book if you want to find out more. 

And that is the end of the first book report I've written since the 1980s!

Edited by Mannahatta
  • Love 10

You get an A++ on your report, Mannahatta!  Thank you so much for doing that.  I find it all so fascinating.

Mannahatta, I ran out and ordered the book (okay, one-clicked off Amazon!) And DEVOURED it!!

I would say it was 98% different from The Jinx! So surprised at ALL the things I learned!!

THANK YOU!! (To the rest of you, Mannahatta did a FANTABULOUSjob of recapping, but I still think you each need to read it for yourselves--seriously!!)

• Love 1

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/23/jeanine-pirro-robert-durst-book

So Jeanine Pirro is writing a book. That's rich considering she was never directly involved in any of the actual investigative work (according to "A Deadly Secret' writer Matt Birkbeck), and she never brought charges against Durst when she was the D.A. in Westchester County (according to everybody). Well, Pirro certainly knows how to make the most of an opportunity to promote herself - have to give her credit for that.

Also, regarding the Facebook page "Robert Durst Murder Trial" - I had signed on to it but after checking it out a few times I signed myself out. There were people on it who said they were writing to Durst in prison! And whoever is running the page thought that posting a contact address for him made perfectly good sense.  One woman said she sent him money! (I'm still wondering if she was just trolling the site.) A few mentioned "innocent until proven guilty" and pointed out Durst's likable traits. Not everyone on it felt that way but there was a weird fan page vibe to it that creeped me out.

Me, too. I'm wondering if maybe Bob has multiple personality disorder. One of the personalities is the killer and the other(s) witness the killings and are trying to help cover it up because it would be bad for every personality if Bob was convicted. I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist or anything, though. But that was the first thing I thought of when I heard that conversation Bob had with himself in the bathroom......cause that was some major "Sybil"/"Three Faces of Eve"-sounding shit right there.

(and of course, I'm not trying to imply if Durst has multiple personalities that he's somehow not a cold-blooded killer, because HE IS)

ETA: I just remembered Multiple Personality Disorder is now known as Disassociative Identity Disorder. Oops.

There is a lot of disagreement in the mental health community as to whether this disorder exists,just to complicate things further. 

• Love 2

According to that article,

Because of Durst’s confession on The Jinx, the McCormack family is now able to legally pursue the [wrongful death civil] suit. (In New York, there’s a two-year statute of limitations unless there is new evidence, which the show provided.)

It also said Durst is currently serving time in a Louisiana federal prison on weapons charges, and awaiting trial for the murder of Susan Berman.

• Love 3

I swear to God I never watch Fox News. But I was scrolling through channels and there is a special on right now with Jeanine Pirro called "Robert Durst and My Quest for Justice." It replays at midnight if anyone wants to catch it.

• Love 3

Jeanine Pirro was just on The View promoting her book acting like she was one of the ones who did so much investigating into this case. She's riding on the coattails of work others did IMHO and it's using the fact that she was a former prosecutor who was semi involved to sell her book. 

• Love 1
I'd love to know why the wife couldn't remember when they were married.

My first thought:  it wasn't a real marriage.  WIkipedia confirms this.

On December 11, 2000,[27] shortly before Susan Berman was murdered in Los Angeles, Durst married Debrah Lee Charatan.[88][89][90] According to The New York Times, the couple briefly shared a Fifth Avenue apartment in 1990 but "have never lived together as husband and wife."[56][88] Durst once told his sister that it was "a marriage of convenience";[27][35] "I wanted Debbie to be able to receive my inheritance, and I intended to kill myself", Durst said in a 2005 deposition.[30] Charatan currently lives with one of Durst's lawyers, Steven I. Holm.[30]

In today's NY Times:  Family of Robert Durst’s First Wife Sues Him for $100 Million in Her Disappearance

On Monday, Ms. Durst’s mother, Ann McCormack, who is 101, and three sisters — Carol Bamonte, Mary Hughes and Virginia McKeon — filed a $100 million lawsuit against the man who they have long suspected of killing her: Robert A. Durst, her husband. The lawsuit contends that Mr. Durst violated the McCormack family’s right to sepulcher, a rarely used New York law granting family members the immediate right to possession of a body for burial.

• Love 4

The Durst family is in the news again today, as the NY Times chronicles The Durst Dynasty’s Rise, a Scion’s Descent.  Included is a photo captioned:

In 1957, the children of the developer Seymour B. Durst, from left, Thomas, 6, Robert, 14, Douglas, 12, and Wendy, 10, using 750 discarded aluminum cigar tubes to erect a scale model of an office building their father was constructing at 655 Third Avenue in Manhattan.

• Love 2

Durst has agreed to be extradited (links to NYT for those low on free page views) to California in August to stand trial for Susan Berman's murder. He came to some agreement with the Feds on the gun charge.

I'm sure he'll walk again. DeGuerin is gonna pillory Jarkecki when he takes the stand.

On 2/23/2015 at 4:56 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Yes! And the other kicker was when Jarecki showed him the copy of the "cadaver" letter. Durst said, without hesitation, "Yes, block letters. Written by someone trying to disguise their handwriting. And "Beverly" is misspelled." That response was waaaaay to quick and eerily accurate of the "writer's" intent. I like that theory. When Vanity Fair Confidential featured Durst's story last month, one intriguing fact about the Texas guy was recently uncovered:

Hide contents

turns out he worked for the Durst Organization at the time Kathie was murdered.

NO effing way. That's crazy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/nyregion/robert-durst-pleads-not-guilty-to-2000-murder-in-los-angeles.html

Mr. Durst, 73, sitting in a wheelchair and wearing a neck brace, appeared before Judge Mark Windham in Los Angeles County Superior Court and entered a plea of not guilty. He had orange prison slippers on his feet.

Deputy District Attorney John Lewin said the state would not seek the death penalty against Mr. Durst. Both sides agreed to convene again on Feb. 15 to set the date for a preliminary hearing.

Even if Mr. Durst is ultimately found not guilty of murder, he will go back to prison to complete his 85-month sentence on the gun charge.

• Love 2

Update on the case:
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/robert-durst/amp/robert-durst-lawyer-slams-d-releasing-jinx-star-s-interrogation-n69788

Among the more interesting notes:

• Durst said he was high on methamphetamine during the filming of "The Jinx".
  • Durst told Lewin (the DA) that he couldn't give him information about what happened to Kathie and Berman because it would amount to "pleading guilty."
  • He agreed it was "reasonable" to think that he wrote the note sent to police alerting them to a "cadaver" at Berman's home after her murder. He also said: "Whoever wrote that note had to be involved in Susan's death."

What I find interesting is he is currently serving a 7-yr sentence for being a felon in possession of a firearm, a gun they found in his hotel room when he was arrested for Susan Berman's murder. Since it has been stated that he will die in prison anyhow due to his ill health, why not just confess and let everyone know? He is in prison anyhow, the death sentence is off the table and he got away with murder once before.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 4
(edited)

Does anyone know where the trial stands?

I've googled it and I know they had the pre-trial in April to see if they were going to bring him to actual trial....but I can't find an outcome.

Edit: interesting! It also answers my question. The pre-trial will resume in October!!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/jeanine-pirro-allegedly-affair-robert-durst-case-article-1.3942442

Edited by punkypower
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, punkypower said:

I've googled it and I know they had the pre-trial in April to see if they were going to bring him to actual trial....but I can't find an outcome.

Unfortunately, I think he'll be dead long before there's every any trial. 

On 7/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, punkypower said:

Does anyone know where the trial stands?

Edit: interesting! It also answers my question. The pre-trial will resume in October!!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/jeanine-pirro-allegedly-affair-robert-durst-case-article-1.3942442

An update and some juicy gossip. Nice find. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, punkypower said:

The preliminary hearing started today!

I saw that a new post had been made in the forum and immediately thought, "Oh, he's gotta be dead!" I hope he lives long enough to make it to the trial, gets convicted, then dies behind bars in a jail in BeverlEy Hills.