Type keyword(s) to search

The Jinx: The Life And Deaths Of Robert Durst - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can not figure that lady out, they are estranged but rendezvousing in Cuba?

Cuba has no extradition policy with the US. Had he gotten there in time, it's likely he'd never be in jail.

Which leads me to another question: why, for a dude that's gotten away with three murders, could he NOT figure out that the best hiding place from US authorities is OUTSIDE the US?! The fact that he wasn't boarding a plane in Canada to go to Cuba thirty seconds after the next-to-last episode of The Jinx aired, is beyond me. He's got to have hundreds of millions of dollars by this point -- why not just flee, buy a mansion by the water and live out the rest of his days instead of going OJ? Dumbass.

Cuba has no extradition policy with the US. Had he gotten there in time, it's likely he'd never be in jail.

Which leads me to another question: why, for a dude that's gotten away with three murders, could he NOT figure out that the best hiding place from US authorities is OUTSIDE the US?! The fact that he wasn't boarding a plane in Canada to go to Cuba thirty seconds after the next-to-last episode of The Jinx aired, is beyond me. He's got to have hundreds of millions of dollars by this point -- why not just flee, buy a mansion by the water and live out the rest of his days instead of going OJ?

I can not figure that lady out, they are estranged but rendezvousing in Cuba? I mean I know so money such wow, I guess for some people there is never too much money.

Bob and Deborah Charatan only lived together briefly in 1990. Their December 2000 marriage (weeks before Susan Berman's murder) was never about love. They're no more "estranged" today than they've ever been.

• Love 3

They're no more "estranged" today than they've ever been.

Oh I know their marriage wasn't about love, it just wasn't clear to me how close she still is/was to Bob, in terms of managing him and his money in the present. And it does seem like at one point (1988-1990) they had whatever passes for a real relationship with Bob Durst, despite not being romantically together, he trusted her enough to marry her and give her PoA.

My confusion is mostly because she seemed like an incredibly high powered successful lady in her own right, already quite wealthy by most people's standards, but I get that there's always the desire to get more have more be more, and 65 million is a whole lot more. Even if you have to defend a very black eyed devil to get it.

Having said that I loved her bitch in those police tapes, she was like a character in a Woody Allen movie: "I've never even HEARD of *Galveston*." 

Edited by blixie
  • Love 5

Personally, I wouldn't have even waited for the documentary to air to flee. If I had Durst's resources and had done everything that he did, as soon as I was presented with all of the evidence in that interview, I would have packed my bags and fled.to France. They haven't sent Roman Polanski back, and with Durst possibly facing death penalty charges, there's no way in hell they would send him back.

• Love 2

This man is constantly acting. I'm an actor and I'm often practicing things around the house, when I'm alone, sometimes I catch myself on the bus mumbling lines for pieces I'm working on and thinking about how I'd say them or how my character would.

Your perspective is interesting - but I'm not an actor and I live alone and there are times I talk to myself (thank goodness I have dogs and talk to them lol). I also say "excuse me" if I sneeze or burp even when I'm alone - just a conditioned reflex. I also "practice" if I have to confront another person such as in a work situation. So maybe I'm weird but IMHO I don't think "talking to yourself" was indicative of multiple personalities - maybe he's so self-absorbed that he "rehearses" how he wants himself to sound - and that also IMHO indicates how narcissistic he is. 

• Love 9

Having said that I loved her bitch in those police tapes, she was like a character in a Woody Allen movie: "I've never even HEARD of *Galveston*." 

So true. That line could easily have come from Cate Blanchette's character in Blue Jasmine*.

ETA: Cate would kill it as Charatan, but alas, the Durst movies have already been made.

*Edited to correct an error that this film buff should never have made.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 2

So little is known about Deborah Charatan that I keep seeing her name spelled every possible way, but I read at the time of the marriage she was strapped for cash.  I also read she abandoned her son, but they eventually smoothed things over and she started a brokerage firm with him.  Unfortunately, I think she's way too smart to ever sit down for an interview.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

but I read at the time of the marriage she was strapped for cash.

Ah okay this makes sense if she had rough patch financially than marrying Durst makes a lot more sense. I still wonder what "strapped for cash" looks like to someone like her though right? 

The Judge in the Texas case speaks.

Criss said she believes that Durst is the one who left the head there, and also that she believes that the real-estate heir is a serial killer.

That is super creepy if true, but man it also seems kinda unethical to be running around calling him a serial killer when he was exonerated on your watch, and while a new case is pending. She was much more evenhanded when speaking to Chris Hayes.

• Love 1

So true. That line could easily have come from Cate Blanchette's character in Blue Dahlia.

ETA: Cate would kill it as Charatan, but alas, the Durst movies have already been made.

Blue Jasmine. Dahlia ia a different film.

• Love 1

Blue Jasmine. Dahlia ia a different film.

Absolutely right. My fevered brain conflated the noir-ish aspects of this case with the Woody Allen angle. And then there's that other Hollywood (ish) true crime, The Black Dahlia . . .

Back on topic:

I can't take that judge's remarks to Inside Edition seriously. Firstly: Inside Edition. Secondly, as has been pointed out, SO ridiculous to assume (and then spout off) that the cat head was from Durst when any number of angry, disturbed, and/or criminal people who'd been in her courtroom could have done that. And finally, she appears to be lazily parroting the assertions made in that Times article to "prove" her accusations -- and doing it pretty late in the game. Talk about angling for her fifteen minutes. I mean, he may well have dismembered any number of dogs and people. I just don't think it's fair to pin him for that particular cat.

Welp, I just defended Bob Durst. Could this day get any weirder?

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 4

I love how the source in that article is so offended that Robert Durst didn't have a bulletin board and used thumbtacks on the walls of his nice apartment.  Like of all the terrible things you could complain that Durst did....

• Love 4

According to Entertainment Weekly, Bob's attorney, Dick DeGuerin, "is speaking out about his client on 48 Hours, in his only network TV interview" tomorrow (Saturday).

On the clip of bathroom audio recorded in the final episode of The Jinx (in which Durst is heard saying to himself, “killed them all”) DeGuerin says, “I think it was great drama… but it’s not the truth.”

“I think people are fascinated by wealth, by strangeness and by mystery,” DeGuerin tells 48 Hours. “And I think the case has all of those things.” Though he warns against sensationalism and good television possibly shrouding what really happened: “I think the case ought to be tried on the facts and not on an effort to win an Emmy.”

They haven't sent Roman Polanski back, and with Durst possibly facing death penalty charges, there's no way in hell they would send him back.

There is a huge difference between Polanski and Durst which is that he is a French citizen and that is why they won't extradite him. Also, it's fairly unlikely that Durst will face the death penalty in Berman's death. However, there are other places that he could flee that don't have extradition treaties with the US.

• Love 1

If Debra has any knowledge of Durst's murderous activities, she should be charged as well, as an accessory after the fact or whatever they can pin on her.  She disgusts me almost as much as Durst.  She pretty much sold her soul to the devil himself.

• Love 1

My guess is once you're entangled with Bob and possibly know too much, you're stuck. I'm sure a lot of whatever relationship Deborah has with Bob is/was about money, but at this point she's aware that people who displease Bob often end up in fear for their lives (Douglas & family) or dead (Susan Berman). She made some sort of deal with the devil. A rich, crazy devil.

• Love 1

Kathie's maiden initials were KM, also.

I hadn't even thought about that. If he's connected to Kristen & Karen's disappearances, that would be one heck of a coincidence that they all had the same initials. Good catch! I know it's obvious but I didn't even realize it.

Hi guys!

Can someone please help me? I'm finally binge-watching all the epis tonight.

When asked what he would now say to Kathie's Mom, did Bob NOT say, "I'm sorry I'm complicit in Kathie not being here with her family." <?!?!!???!!>

How many more ways can this guy confess?!

Yes, Sarah, I agree he is hilarious (I feel dirty), and I immensely enjoy every and any recap you sow (note: I would love you to go back and recap each day of thee Arias trial!! No? Pooh, then how about a marathon of Just the Ten of Us?)!!

Edited because unclosed parenthesis gives wrinkle lines to all that are forced to see..

Edited by punkypower
  • Love 2

While I enjoyed this series, the ending was way too "Hollywood" for me.  It was made to look like right after Jarecki confronted Bob with writing samples, the interview ended and Bob went to the bathroom with his mic still hooked up…because really, you don't unhook and take away a mic after the interview is over? 

I can't say it didn't happen, because obviously we heard the recording, but the editing was certainly skewed.  I would have to guess, if it came down the way it seemed to, was that they didn't end the interview at the point that writing came up, and that at some point Bob asked to use the restroom, came back and talked more about different subjects before leaving. 

I swear sometimes I get so riled up about the "wag the dog" hyjinx by TV producers that it diminishes any appreciation I have of the story they are trying to tell.

• Love 1

And dismembering a body limb from limb just baffles me. How do you go from never committing murder to being about to tear a body a part with a handsaw. Its like going from 0 to 1 million. 

This alone is plenty enough evidence for me.  If I accidentally killed someone in my home, my first instinct wouldn't be to run to the hardware store to buy a hacksaw, dismember the body, put the pieces into garbage bags and dump them into a river.  And I certainly wouldn't be able to actually DO it.  WTF?  Who does that?  A murderer.  

Mental institution or prison, he needs to be somewhere no one else can get in his way.

If the family knew about the dogs, why o why did they not get this child the mental help he needed?  The blame for 3 deaths, if not more, starts there with his family.

• Love 9

While I enjoyed this series, the ending was way too "Hollywood" for me.  It was made to look like right after Jarecki confronted Bob with writing samples, the interview ended and Bob went to the bathroom with his mic still hooked up…because really, you don't unhook and take away a mic after the interview is over? 

I can't say it didn't happen, because obviously we heard the recording, but the editing was certainly skewed.  I would have to guess, if it came down the way it seemed to, was that they didn't end the interview at the point that writing came up, and that at some point Bob asked to use the restroom, came back and talked more about different subjects before leaving. 

I swear sometimes I get so riled up about the "wag the dog" hyjinx by TV producers that it diminishes any appreciation I have of the story they are trying to tell.

After far too much time spent watching the Real Housewives franchise, I'm highly suspicious of editing and editors crafting a story from available footage.

• Love 1

Okay, so just about finished. I've already watched the ending before the binging.

Y'all. It could be I work 60-80 hours and out of touch with reality. It could be I'm easily impressed. I've seen a lot of criticism for Jarecki putting himself in the doc. He can do whatever he wants, IMO, esp after all his balls in interview with Bob and his decade of work on all this. This is definitely one of the best things I've seen. It had it all: so much emotion, suspense, artistry--and at it all heart. Rest in sweet peace Kathie, Susie, and Morris.

Totally cried in epi 4 for Officer/Capt/Sgt (sorry, I blank) Cody, when he started crying that he couldn't do Morris or God justice. Oh, you did, sir.

I forgot that the theme song was also in True Blood. Thank you, Jarecki, for a beautiful and chilling intro, as well as renewing my love for the Eels.

Y'all. SO MUCH emotion. So many twists. So few epis. :(

I have to admit that I had to rewind numerous times the part where the Exec Producer was skeptical that Bob was actually going to Madrid. Jarecki and Smelding are talking over each other, saying they don't think he would lie about it. Producer, super incredulous: "Are you guys fucking kidding me?!" I'll see your hee and raise you five haws!! <3 {props to Furious Styles for the equal amusement}

Edited bc if I'm going to quote, it should be accurate--"are you guys fucking kidding me?!"

Edited by punkypower
  • Love 4

Reading a few updates this morning. 

More evidence seized:

Sixty boxes containing phone records, bills, family-trust documents, photographs and transcripts of Robert Durst's 2003 murder trial were seized from the cellar of his friend's house in Campbell Hall, New York.

Hope there's something incriminating, but knowing Durst, there won't be. 

I'm reading "A review of the many Robert Dursts – a web of aliases, addresses, PO boxes and private companies – reveals clues left long after the murder of Susan Berman" from The Guardian. Too much to bullet point, but I'll quote one tidbit:

There was nothing unusual about having a private mailbox or how Robert Durst’s packages looked from the outside, the UPS employees said. But he did have an odd habit: Durst’s iPad would travel separately from him on long journeys. He would arrive at the UPS store, put down his iPad on the counter and ask the staff to ship it to wherever in the country he was travelling.“ Always shipped overnight so it’d be there before he got there,” a staff member told the Guardian.

The Guardian's investigator speculates it might have been to get around airport security. 

• Love 3

The Guardian's investigator speculates it might have been to get around airport security.

That sounds weird. I pack my iPad in my carry-on bag every time I fly. No one at the TSA ever asks me to take it out of my bag or has any desire to inspect it like a laptop. Not that I doubt there isn't a ton of incriminating information on his though -- but I guess Durst figures if he's in a car accident and dies, the iPad becomes fair game to police if it's found in the vehicle. If it's in a shipping box with his name on it waiting for him at some hotel, not so much.

I saw DeGuerin interviewed on 48 Hours on Saturday night. Again, he repeated the claim that Durst had an expectation of privacy in that bathroom and therefore the tape may not be admissible as evidence. What's interesting is that they then showed this picture:

eEHljrg.jpg

...where I can clearly see him STILL mic'd up from the interview. (He and Jarecki are wearing the same exact outfits as the ones from the "Second Interview" episode.) So, at some point, Durst must have known they were going to continue filming and that's why he still had the mic on when he went to the bathroom.

That being said, Jarecki and crew could have mic'd him in the office, went out on the street for those "let's go to Starbucks then stalk Doug's doorstep" shots and THEN returned for the "second" interview (which is not how it was presented in the show). Given the hinky, and possibly misleading, editing on the series, this might be likely.

I'm with you punkypower. I think Jarecki did an amazing job.

On re-watch, when Bob said he was going to the bathroom, the boom mic was still attached to the ceiling and there was other camera equipment still in the room. So, the dimming of the lights in the room might have been for dramatic value, but it's not like they'd put all the equipment away and left the premises with Robert there alone, still mic'd.

Edited by missy jo
  • Love 3

Continuously edited to add more articles..

An interview (post finale) of my fave Jinx-er, Detective Cody!!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4116613847001/lead-investigator-in-morris-black-case-on-new-durst-charges/?#sp=show-clips

Jarecki "relieved" after Durst arrest--Wow, I wonder what the communication was to him after epi 5!!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/artsbeat/2015/03/16/the-jinx-ending-robert-durst-andrew-jarecki/?referrer=

Edited for a third--"Beverley Chills"

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/beverley-chills-jinx-robert-durst-andrew-jarecki/

Edited for another--an article shortly after Morris' murder--mentions of John Lennon, Bob's side fling with Prudence Farrow, and plenty of crahz..

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/21/nyregion/two-decade-spiral-into-suspicion-long-after-wife-disappears-heir-vanishes-after.html

Just tell me when y'all get tired of me.. ;) Plenty of newsworthy here: Kathie went to hospital after one of Bob's abuse sessions, "someone" broke into Gertie and another Old Ladies' Detective Agency member's house, blue light shining in Durst's basement night after Kathie disappeared, and as I read further and further--OMG, just read it all for yourselves..

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/durst_kathleen.html

Finally, if you all wonder why my posts are so bland and have no cool pics, I only have an iPhone for awhile, so at the mercy of copy and paste. I also hope to hell I'm "liking" all of your posts by clicking in the right corner of your posts and not reporting/getting y'all banned!! <3 <3

Edited by punkypower
  • Love 7

I wanted to put this with the other links in Breaking News, but I think it fits better here..

Let me know some things that jump out at you/make you go "holy crepe!!" ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/movies/28durst.html

For me:

-->Bob's comment about "Whatever happened w Kathie was a big chunk of my fault"--wtf? HOW many ways can be confess?!

-->Holy shit!! This is the first I've seen anything about Susie donning a blonde wig to pretend to be Kathie from behind and throw people off scent!!

-->this is the second reference I've seen about Morris being in NY/complicit in Kathie's murder!

-->even though he meant it about it affecting his family business, Dougie's snark about not many people seeing the film to make suing them worth it..yup, maybe not the FILM! :p

-->Andrew's comments about Bob/pretty much nothing--to think how much that changed

-->The senator/"family matter"

-->The bwahs at Bob's comment on Gosling and the film not trying to be a documentary

-->The final sentence--burrrr....

• Love 1

Another roundup of questions http://www.buzzfeed....A5LK#.ohvYB191j

I just saw that too.  There is something about them messing with the timeline that makes me so very nervous.  I understand them wanting to build to a dramatic conclusion, and wanting to incorporate the 2013 arrest, but good lord, that timeline they portrayed was easily dismantled within hours.  I don't think they had nefarious purposes in doing so, but I'm going to scream when defense lawyers start pulling out editorial manipulations to cast doubt. 

There is no doubt in my mind they were on a victory lap until they abruptly stopped their media tour after the first few interviews on the day after the finale.  Did they not expect questions?  Did they not tell their lawyers how they edited the finale?  Why did they go from a full slate of interviews, still on tap even after Hurst was arrested, to doing a couple, then stopping because "of course we can't talk....potential witnesses".

I guess.....stay tuned?

• Love 1

There is something about them messing with the timeline that makes me so very nervous.

I understand those concerns I guess, but I really really disagree that the show laid things out in a "precise order", the narrative hopscotched around from the beginning by starting with the last murder he was accused of committing, and jumped to his childhood, and Kathie's disappearance, then to Susan's murder, than sifted between all three incidents. What happened in the finale with an unclear timeline was just more of the same to me..

• Love 4

He was an adult no one could get a judgement against the family or their holdings at the time Kathie disappeared. He was drawing a salary and his family might have bailed him out but they would not be liable for a civil suit.  None of the shit was owed to him at the time she left. They only bought hm out of the family once Seymour died.

How can you be sure? Therecould be PLENTY that the family kne. For crying out loud, they knew he was killing dogs, they knew he was abusing his wife and I am SURE they knew he was crazy and dangerous.

How can you be sure? Therecould be PLENTY that the family kne. For crying out loud, they knew he was killing dogs, they knew he was abusing his wife and I am SURE they knew he was crazy and dangerous.

I of course can't be sure no one can but why I don't think they know anything is Seymour stopped paying for the PI when he proved Bob was lying and Doug started talking about the dogs when he was trying to prove Bob was crazy and coming after him. I just don't believe Seymour or Doug know anything tangible about Kathie, other than they believed he killed her. I completely believe that they could hAve gone to the police and used their influence to pressure the police to investigate at the time, I just don't think they helped cover up the murder. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Here's the Charely Project page for Lynne Schulze, the young woman who went missing near Durst's health food store in Vermont in 1971. She's the victim from the news story at the link Mannahatta posted above.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/schulze_lynne.html

I'm really thinking he may still be being held in Louisiana for the gun/drug charges rather than being extradited right away to California because LE in Louisiana suspects he may be involved in a death or disappearance there, since he has rented apartments in New Orleans in the past. I wish we could get some dates on when he was there for sure.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 2

I'm really thinking he may still be being held in Louisiana for the gun/drug charges rather than being extradited right away to California because LE in Louisiana suspects he may be involved in a death or disappearance there, since he has rented apartments in New Orleans in the past. I wish we could get some dates on when he was there for sure.

The FBI has asked local law enforcement to check unsolved murders and disappearances everywhere Robert Durst's ever lived, including California, New York, Texas, and Vermont.

Dick DeGuerin, his attorney, made a wisecrack about it:

"You know, he may have been in Chicago when Jimmy Hoffa disappeared," he said. "He's an easy target."
  • Love 1

http://www.thewrap.com/robert-dursts-ex-girlfriend-his-apartment-had-concrete-floor-with-a-saw-video/

Did anyone else see this? A woman who briefly dated Durst in 2000, said he had an apartment in Dallas with a small room that had a bare concrete floor and a saw. He told the building management he needed a concrete floor because he used a lot of chemicals! Fortunately this woman had the sense to break up with him.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-durst-woman-who-dated-784301

• Love 1

Using flash forwards and flash backwards makes it okay for the filmmakers to completely lie that Durst wouldn't agree to a second interview until after filmmakers had the advantage because he needed them after his arrest?  I don't see how those two elements correspond whatsoever.  A lot of docs tell their story in a nonlinear fashion because of pacing or to make things easier to understand, it doesn't mean they can just make up scenarios.

Debrah Debrah Debrah http://jezebel.com/robert-dursts-wife-debrah-was-a-lean-in-poster-girl-of-1692691494

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 5

"Oakland police have found no evidence to link accused murderer Robert Durst, subject of HBO’s documentary series “The Jinx,” to the 1997 disappearance of Kristen Modafferi.

Police made the announcement on Wednesday after suspicions arose that Durst, whom Los Angeles officials charged with the 2000 murder of friend Susan Berman on Monday, may have been connected to the case.

“The Oakland Police Department conducted an investigation with the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation regarding the 1997 disappearance of Kristen Modafferi,” police said in a statement. “The investigation was open and active for several years. At this time we do not have any evidence that indicates Robert Durst was involved in her disappearance.”'

http://www.thewrap.com/robert-durst-not-linked-to-oakland-disappearance-police-say/

• Love 1

I'm ashamed to admit that I frequently talk to myself. In fact, I'm cringing because Durst's "confession" sounded like the kind of thing I would say to myself.

Example:

Boss: "Granimal, why did you schedule this appointment incorrectly?

Granimal (to self): Clearly I scheduled that appointment wrong because I wanted to inconvenience you and everyone else. I'm also the one who made error B, error C, and error D- all just to make your life harder! I was just hoping that I would get fired today!

If anyone were to care enough to watch the security footage, I would've been confronted for "confessing" to all kinds of mistakes that weren't actually made by me in the first place. ("Oh of course, I was the one who did x,y, and z- it certainly wouldn't be coworker B. Coworker B is much too organized and detail-oriented to ever make a mistake of this caliber!")

And I'm pretty sure that I'm not a psychopath. I just have a tendency to speak to myself very sarcastically.

Anyways, I strongly hope that they have more on Durst than this audio sample and the letter. I don't know much about this case beyond what was show in the docu-series, but it sure has my attention now.

I would think that by this point, his time has come. The jig is up.

The bald male jurror was either a defense attorney's wet dream or paid off by someone.

• Love 9

I strongly hope that they have more on Durst than this audio sample and the letter.

I think his fancy lawyer will be able to spin the audio (if it's admissible) all types of ways, but if I were on a jury, the letter would be definitive evidence.

• Love 1

I feel your pain, shriekingeel. Please repress your (understandably) sickened urges and finish, it's totally with it!

Random question: Was "Galveston" the original or the 2008 remix? Not a big country can, but every once in awhile, a classic will jump out at me and I must have it! :p

• Love 1