Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Return to Neverland

• Start Topic

When I heard TRav's plan to replace Lindsay Graham, I knew T would be a goner.  They love Lindsay in SC and he is the quintessential SC'er.  Couple that with Thomas' notoriety, he has/had no chance of unseating Lindsay (and in this case, we know the end of the story, because Lindsay is still in the Senate).  As far as T's being a felon, that would end up on every campaign commercial, regardless of who T was running against.  This is a non-starter and entirely unrealistic.  T should've started smaller, running locally, rather than at the highest level outside of governor.

I swear that in some interview or during last season, Thomas stated that he didn't think he could win this election, but he wanted to get back out there as a politician.  So basically, this campaign was him saying I'm still here and I'm not going anywhere...whether or not that will lead to any other success, I don't know...according to wikipedia, he got less than 4% of the votes:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_South_Carolina,_2014#Results_3

• Love 1

Ok, I'm going to state an unpopular opinion:

I don't like Patricia. I can't stand her. I don't think that she's amusing and she's a try hard. There, I've said it.

But, love the show. Carry on!!

I like Patricia as an over-the-top character a la "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil".  I like Patricia in small doses.  Then I can switch off my TV.  Now, in real life?  Uh, no thanks.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 7

I don't like Patricia. I can't stand her. I don't think that she's amusing and she's a try hard. There, I've said it.

I'll join your party ;) 

• Love 5

I swear that in some interview or during last season, Thomas stated that he didn't think he could win this election, but he wanted to get back out there as a politician.

I recall hearing that also. Maybe during the reunion? He's probably said it in several interviews. I forgot that as a felon he can't run for dog catcher or any SC state office -- and yet he can run for U.S. Senator! Still, he should have tried running for the city council or school board, y'know, like now that he has a kid he's feeling more responsible and...

Maybe he can be mayor of Edisto Island. What's the voting age population there, 12?

Love that this episode is called "Return to Neverland"! Island of Lost Boys, indeed.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

Not to mention the mosquitoes.  Worst wedding I ever went to was on a lake in August, at dusk, outside of New Orleans.

That's downright sadistic, as was the setting for the "second Christening."

I  ** adore ** Shep for opening his version of a "hot dog stand" after Whitney's comment last year. And it's successful!

ETA: Sorry for two posts in a row; it's late ...

Edited by missy jo
  • Love 1

I like Patricia, as a character on this show. Probably not in real life. But I feel like they are going to ruin her by making her more of a focus. She's better in small doses. Just like sitcoms where characters' funny traits are played up and played up and then they get annoying after several seasons.

Patricia reminds me of Karen (Megan Mullaley) from "Will and Grace", except with a slightly less annoying voice....

• Love 8

I don't like her either and I don't think her snobbery or elitist attitude makes for entertaining television.

• Love 4

Yes, yes, yes! And more to the point, if Patricia was any kind of "patrician" (which is how she tries to position herself) she would not be caught dead on this show. Anyone who is "anyone" in that town would have nothing to do with this. So many of the local articles prior to the first season's airing addressed this.

Patricia strikes me as a sad little social climber who wasn't able to maintain the "status" she married into and as a result was driven from social circut she participated in with her husband and is now stuck drinking alone in Charleston vs. being a part of the NY/London crowd her late husband moved in. She has deluded herself that she was one of "them".

The creepy son is just an embarrassment and while she tries to throw him under the bus commenting on his déclassé instincts, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The step father must have put his foot down about dragging him along with mama.

• Love 5

Though I like to watch this show, I get the feeling that these people are quite nasty and snobbish, not people I'd want to associate with in real life.  When Patricia said what would happen "in her day" I felt she really meant that in her day a child born "out of wedlock" wouldn't have a public christening.  Besides, "in her day" a lot of well to do girls who got "knocked up" would have gone to their mother's GYN's and had a very discrete abortion.  

I'm a bit younger than Patricia (I'm guessing she's in her 70's) and can attest to the 'in her day' comment being true. Particularly in wealthy, snobby circles. My bestie got pregnant at 15 and her parents sent her to a Catholic home for unwed mothers run by nuns. Their friends and family were told she was studying abroad and everyone knew what really happened but no one talked about it. Abortions weren't legal back then and, while I'm sure an upper crust, wealthy family could find a doctor who would perform one, they were dangerous and a lot more scandalous than being sent away to 'study'.

Once Sane, I'm north of Seattle. We can book a flight to Charleston together. I hope it's not in the summer, though. I can't handle the heat and humidity, it gives me the vapors!

• Love 2

IOnce Sane, I'm north of Seattle. We can book a flight to Charleston together. I hope it's not in the summer, though. I can't handle the heat and humidity, it gives me the vapors!

If I still lived north of Seattle, you couldn't pay me to go to Charleston any time of the year!   Heat and humidity suck the soul right out of a body, in my humble opinion.  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 4

I'm wondering if Pat is doing this for the sake of Whitney. Perhaps he's asked her, and she's doing it for him. She's sauced most of the time anyway.

I enjoy Pat and think she's playing a character, and doing it quite well.

• Love 5

Anyone who is "anyone" in that town would have nothing to do with this. So many of the local articles prior to the first season's airing addressed this.

Yes, indeed! I was in Charleston for a friend's pre-wedding events just before the premiere last season. While there I read about this show in the free local newspaper. The article had several quotes from locals who were really unhappy about it and how it portrayed them. As a DC resident, I had lived through (and actually enjoyed in all its ridiculousness) "Real Housewives of DC", so I thought it would be fun party conversation to chat about this upcoming show. Tried to bring it up a couple of times and was immediately shut down! The people I spoke to were just regular locals, not upper-crust types, and I'm sure some of them watch reality TV. They would hear not one word about this show, even though I was trying to say, "Hey, we have something in common. Both our towns had to deal with dumb reality shows that were wildly inaccurate in just about everything."

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

Well, that's it. I have fallen completely and utterly in love with Shep.

Join the club!

I'm also in for a Charleston road trip! Love that city! I'll bring the bourbon for the juleps and paper fans to cool ourselves.

I'm going to start high fiving myself. That was awesome.

I enjoy Pat and think she's playing a character, and doing it quite well.

I want desperately for drag queens to get wind of Pat and base a character on her. She would make an awesome character for a female impersonator.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

Well I was finally able to watch this online, and it made me as homesick as I expected.

I can understand why Katherine's not happy out on the plantation, but I think it's just a gorgeous property. Not just the house, which is lovely, but the land too. Stunning. Of course, the beautiful view doesn't excuse having an outdoor event in Charleston, in high summer, in the middle of the day. I know it must've been completely staged for the show, but you'd think they could've gotten more seat fillers than they did. I was actually really surprised by how empty it was.

Patricia is awesome as a character, but not as a person to know in real life. And whoever above mentioned that she's trying to fit into Charleston society, I would have to agree. Pat's not originally from the area and neither is Whitney. I still love him for creating the show, but to say that he's a part of Charleston high society is a joke.

I love that Shep's hot dog palace is doing well. It is in a gentrifying area of downtown, so he probably did get it for quite a steal. Well, a 'steal' in Charleston prices.

• Love 1

I was actually really surprised by how empty it was.

As it probably was staged for the show, leaving a lot of empty seats while at the same time showing a full church for the first christening, it might be that the joke is on Kathryn and Thomas. Will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

• Love 1

As it probably was staged for the show, leaving a lot of empty seats while at the same time showing a full church for the first christening, it might be that the joke is on Kathryn and Thomas. Will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I'm totally down for a season where the producers poke at Thomas in these kinds of little ways.

• Love 3

I like that the drama is balanced out with fun moments. Perhaps Andy Cohen should study this show in order to fix the housewives.

I do like how the people at the 2nd christening making jokes about the low turn out lol

• Love 3

Watching a repeat and it just kills me how 52-year-old Thomas takes the stage at the 2nd christening to pass on his advice to the young (and not so young [cough, Whitney] ) single men that they need to "get with the program" and have a child. Like he was the first of some young crew to do it rather than being old enough to be his daughter's grandfather. Save the "wisdom" for your grandkids, Thomas.

• Love 3

Though I like to watch this show, I get the feeling that these people are quite nasty and snobbish, not people I'd want to associate with in real life.  When Patricia said what would happen "in her day" I felt she really meant that in her day a child born "out of wedlock" wouldn't have a public christening.  Besides, "in her day" a lot of well to do girls who got "knocked up" would have gone to their mother's GYN's and had a very discrete abortion.

Patricia just makes me think of one of those social climber wannabe's hanging on Bryce Dallas Howard's characters every word in "The Help". I wouldn't be surprised if she has been treated to a few tainted meals by pissed of domestics in her day. She's Suzanne Sugarbaker without the heart of gold.

• Love 4

Patricia just makes me think of one of those social climber wannabe's hanging on Bryce Dallas Howard's characters every word in "The Help". I wouldn't be surprised if she has been treated to a few tainted meals by pissed of domestics in her day. She's Suzanne Sugarbaker without the heart of gold.

When Kathryn was about 40 pounds heavier, at the Bravo reunion, she looked distractingly like Bryce Dallas Howard. It was funny.

At her point right now she actually looks great, but she's probably going to try and get down to her pre-baby weight as close as possible. There's no way her body will ever look the same again, though.

Edited by methodwriter85

When Kathryn was about 40 pounds heavier, at the Bravo reunion, she looked distractingly like Bryce Dallas Howard. It was funny.

At her point right now she actually looks great, but she's probably going to try and get down to her pre-baby weight as close as possible. There's no way her body will ever look the same again, though.

Yeah, and I have a feeling that she was a total drunkorexic back in those days too---she just had that gaunt look of a gal who mostly consumes her daily calories from her cocktails.

• Love 2

Ha, I thought she looked distractingly like Adele.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/hughmcintyre/files/2015/02/Adele.jpg

Every time I rewatch this show, I see something I missed.

Kathryn in that skin-tight white mini-skirt with the flurrily border, as she's walking up the stairs.... big ol' panty lines. Lord have mercy, bless her heart, and all of that.

• Love 1

This may be an unpopular opinion... But I hate Patricia. She condemns Katheryn but, hello how many times has she been married? She's hardly mother Theresa herself. Also, she has a 50 year old baby. My guess is she got her money and status the same way Katheryn has.

• Love 7

I don't even know where to start with these people! I vacillate between pity and disgust when it comes to Kathryn, bless her pea-pickin' little heart. Thomas is ridiculous beyond words and I feel sorry for him. Cameron could be one of my best friends. Shep is ADORABLE but only because I know he's built for fun times not serious times...and his dive bar serves some really good food! Craig is almost mind-numbingly boring. I'm trying to like Landon but she's not growing on me. And Whitney....just, no.

I don't understand Kathryn's objection to living in Mount P. It's a heckuva lot closer to downtown than Edisto is....seriously a 10 minute drive over the Ravenel bridge if the traffic is light.

I'm happy as a pig in poop this show is back! And that I found this forum because I'm from Charleston and I can't let anyone know I watch this show! Kidding....mostly.

• Love 3

This may be an unpopular opinion... But I hate Patricia. She condemns Katheryn but, hello how many times has she been married? She's hardly mother Theresa herself. Also, she has a 50 year old baby. My guess is she got her money and status the same way Katheryn has.

Agreed! She's a condescending snob.....and about as Southern as unsweet tea.

• Love 1

I don't understand Kathryn's objection to living in Mount P.

A good friend of mine moved there from Isle of Palms just after the bridge was finished and loves it. I think her place is great and she IS within minutes of downtown. It was the hip and cool place to be, and even though it's painted (on this show) as the place for suburban mommies, that doesn't mean it isn't a great area. A lot of the new hip and trendy neighborhoods in DC are full of "strollers and dogs", too.

On the other hand, Kathryn wants to be within walking distance of her favorite hangouts. She still hasn't quite realized that her life has changed greatly, although with a nanny she could just go whenever a friend invited her to lunch or happy hour. Something tells me she wants the life she imagined she'd have with Thomas in that house on Church Street. Those dreams are gone, girl. 

And that I found this forum because I'm from Charleston and I can't let anyone know I watch this show! Kidding....mostly.

Ha ha! You should start a Southern Charm Anonymous group! You know you can't be the only one there watching it. It's just too much of a guilty pleasure, and must be more so when you know the locations and might have x-degree connections with or inside info on the cast members. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1

Just so you know, all of Virginia is 'neath the line.......

So is all of Maryland for that matter. Just lots of people don't consider it nor VA as very southern. Go figure.

Though I would bet my grandmother's southern fried chicken was just as good as any from Alabama or Georgia or wherever. And their accents were just as "southern".

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 1

Ha ha! You should start a Southern Charm Anonymous group! You know you can't be the only one there watching it. It's just too much of a guilty pleasure, and must be more so when you know the locations and might have x-degree connections with or inside info on the cast members. 

That would be a hoot!  But none of us want to admit to watching so it'd be hard to get us together for our meetings.....unless maybe there was ample whiskey and water ;-)

• Love 1

That would be a hoot! But none of us want to admit to watching so it'd be hard to get us together for our meetings.....unless maybe there was ample whiskey and water ;-)

Or you could get Shep to appear. ;-)

t

So is all of Maryland for that matter. Just lots of people don't consider it nor VA as very southern. Go figure.

Though I would bet my grandmother's southern fried chicken was just as good as any from Alabama or Georgia or wherever. And their accents were just as "southern".

Totally OT but this is definitely true about all the Marylanders I know, including myself. We consider ourselves from the east coast, but, not southerners. Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 1

I had the closed captioning on during a re-viewing of this episode. According to closed captioning, when Cameran was picking Craig up for the christening part deux, as Craig got in the car, Cameran said "hi, carrot face." Carrot face. Carrot. Face. Because as we all know, Cameran is wont to use the word 'carrot' willy nilly. See season one "I was sent from the heavens to help all you carrots;" "wake up, carrots, " etc.

• Love 1