Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion Advice And Tips

• Start Topic

backformore - the only other advice is to wear one item that you feel really good in, even if it may not fall into the strict "interview" clothes category.  The familarity can translate to comfort and help keep you relaxed which will comes off as confidence. 

When I worked, I had a couple of suit jackets that I wore whenever I had to do an important meeting or presentation.  I liked how they looked and felt, plus I could move easily in them.  They kind of became my Game Day Armour.  But even in purely social situations (where my anxiety was much higher than work), I would wear them with jeans and it helped brace me.

• Love 3

Still no boots. Doc Martens don't run small enough for me, and the kids' ones have zippers. No thanks, I want laces only. I know, I'm picky, but I'm going to wear them a long time, so I want to like them. I went to the outlet mall today and nobody had my size in anything I wanted to try on. I did rule out Timberland, based on how clunky they looked, compared with what I want. Since I don't hike, I don't need super heavy treads. One of the local malls has a Steve madden store, so tomorrow I'll go there and see if they have anything in a 5.5 -- I'd rather try on before ordering, but if they don't stock it, I'll have to do the online thing and then return them if they don't fit.

You ladies who wear average sizes are so lucky! *whine*

Wait, I missed it--what is your size? I have non-zipper DMs and I wear a size 4 DM (5.5 in non-DM shoes).

Edited by TattleTeeny

Oh no, haha! I actually meant with platform wedges, a style I have a lot of trouble finding in a good fit. There always seems to be to much clearance between my foot and the shoe, plus I absolutely hate when the wedge gets super-narrow at the bottom! Big fat clunky wedges forever!

• Love 1

Heel grips work. I have narrow heels and some shoes fall off my feet. If I don't wear tights or any hose, I notice that my shoes fit better. I also have little gel pads I stuff at the toe area of my shoes so my feet don't leave the shoes. You can also get strips for sandals and a thin insole for your shoes.

Having a high instep makes a lot of boots problematic. It's going up a size or ensuring that the boots have a zip closure. And normally being forced to buy a more expensive boot.

I have a couple of pairs of slingback shoes - a Rag and Bone pair I found this past summer on sale and another pair I bought a few years ago. I still haven't found a pair of d'Orsay style pumps that don't fall off my feet.

It is a challenge to find a narrow width shoe up here in Canada. It's now either online shopping with extra customs or duty charges and/or paying a visit to a nearby US state and hopefully a Nordstrom store. Or just buying Italian-made shoes here.

• Love 1

Totally with you there, only Italian made shoes seem to fit my narrow width. For years I kept kidding myself and buying things I liked that "kind of fitted in the moment" but they never went the distance :-(  

• Love 1

I'll walk by an Aldo shoe store here and will usually be tempted by a cute pair of shoes. I forget so easily that the shoes are cheap and will either be painful or fall apart within 30 days. I walk on by. People at work rave about Clarks shoes. Way too wide for me. I think I tried two pairs and both were painful.

Some of the Italian and Spanish made shoes aren't quite so European any more as many designers subcontract to China - the soles may be made in Italy, but that's about it.

Michael Michael Kors is hit and miss for me. I did find a pair of booties that I could get my instep in to (feeling very much like Cinderella's ugly stepsister trying to cram her foot in to the glass slipper). The price was also right.  Most of the better fitting booties are over $500 here. Stuart Weitzman is pretty good for me. Nine West is usually a no-go but I have bought the higher end Enzo Angiolini. I do well with designer sales if I can find my smallish size.  Our selection is small as my city is not a huge designer market at this time.  Not easy to find narrower width shoes unless you pay for them - Choo, Blahnik, Louboutin, Ferragamo.  I'll tend to buy a couple of pairs of shoes or boots per season.

I'll walk by an Aldo shoe store here and will usually be tempted by a cute pair of shoes. I forget so easily that the shoes are cheap and will either be painful or fall apart within 30 days. I walk on by. People at work rave about Clarks shoes. Way too wide for me. I think I tried two pairs and both were painful.

Some of the Italian and Spanish made shoes aren't quite so European any more as many designers subcontract to China - the soles may be made in Italy, but that's about it.

Michael Michael Kors is hit and miss for me. I did find a pair of booties that I could get my instep in to (feeling very much like Cinderella's ugly stepsister trying to cram her foot in to the glass slipper). The price was also right.  Most of the better fitting booties are over $500 here. Stuart Weitzman is pretty good for me. Nine West is usually a no-go but I have bought the higher end Enzo Angiolini. I do well with designer sales if I can find my smallish size.  Our selection is small as my city is not a huge designer market at this time.  Not easy to find narrower width shoes unless you pay for them - Choo, Blahnik, Louboutin, Ferragamo.  I'll tend to buy a couple of pairs of shoes or boots per season.

I have tiny feet, so Stuart Weitzman is usually my go-to.  I usually have to splurge and pay full price to guarantee my size (4 1/2) at pre-season trunk shows.  At least I only have to pay 50% when I order and the remaining 50% when I pick up. 

• Love 1

I have tiny feet, so Stuart Weitzman is usually my go-to.  I usually have to splurge and pay full price to guarantee my size (4 1/2) at pre-season trunk shows.  At least I only have to pay 50% when I order and the remaining 50% when I pick up. 

Wow! Those are tiny feet. Mine are a 6-6.5 depending on who makes them and how they fit my instep.

I'll look at some of the US store sites and marvel at the choice and selection there is down there.

Our small Holt Renfrew had a SW custom 50-50 boot trunk show of sorts last year. We now have a SW shop and I think it gets a trunk show once a year. My size also sells out quickly as only 1-2 pairs are ordered in it. So, I too have to pay full price most of the time, or take my chances and see what makes it to the sales. Sometimes I get lucky. I get a lot of crappy and catty comments from coworkers that I spend too much money on shoes. Unfortunately, I only have one pair of feet and most inexpensive shoes do not fit them or are incredibly painful. I don't have a choice. Not like I criticize what they spend their money on. To each his or her own.

Wow! Those are tiny feet. Mine are a 6-6.5 depending on who makes them and how they fit my instep.

I'll look at some of the US store sites and marvel at the choice and selection there is down there.

Our small Holt Renfrew had a SW custom 50-50 boot trunk show of sorts last year. We now have a SW shop and I think it gets a trunk show once a year. My size also sells out quickly as only 1-2 pairs are ordered in it. So, I too have to pay full price most of the time, or take my chances and see what makes it to the sales. Sometimes I get lucky. I get a lot of crappy and catty comments from coworkers that I spend too much money on shoes. Unfortunately, I only have one pair of feet and most inexpensive shoes do not fit them or are incredibly painful. I don't have a choice. Not like I criticize what they spend their money on. To each his or her own.

I don't know where you live, but SW typically holds two trunk shows a year - one for spring and another for fall.  They recently sent me an email about their spring event.  Trunk shows typically don't have the full seasonal line, which kind of sucks.  As for spending money - if you don't have tiny or larger feet, you just don't understand.  Same with clothing.  I'm on the short side (and small framed) and prefer to buy petite sizing.  I often complain about the lack of GOOD petite clothes and average heighted people will suggest that I shop in the kids' section.  Ummm, I'm freakin' 36 years old!  And don't they get that alterations don't always work?  Also, numbers are just numbers.  Size 0 used to be called size 6.  Thanks, vanity sizing!

Note:  My "real" shoe size is 5, but thanks to the v-word (i.e. vanity sizing), I'm down to 4 1/2. 

I don't know where you live, but SW typically holds two trunk shows a year - one for spring and another for fall.  They recently sent me an email about their spring event.  Trunk shows typically don't have the full seasonal line, which kind of sucks.  As for spending money - if you don't have tiny or larger feet, you just don't understand.  Same with clothing.  I'm on the short side (and small framed) and prefer to buy petite sizing.  I often complain about the lack of GOOD petite clothes and average heighted people will suggest that I shop in the kids' section.  Ummm, I'm freakin' 36 years old!  And don't they get that alterations don't always work?  Also, numbers are just numbers.  Size 0 used to be called size 6.  Thanks, vanity sizing!

Note:  My "real" shoe size is 5, but thanks to the v-word (i.e. vanity sizing), I'm down to 4 1/2. 

I'm in Western Canada. Our SW store is in West Edmonton Mall. It's just been there for about 1.5 years. I think that Calgary (a slightly larger corporate market) gets the trunk shows. The Nordstrom store there has lots of events.

I'm between petite and average height. The petite inseam works well, but most petite clothing doesn't fit me. I need to get stuff shortened/hemmed.  Alterations can be expensive, especially if you have to take in shoulders and more or less re-do a jacket. I have expensive feet and I am forced to pay more for shoes. I'll also shop mid to low prices on clothing and love places like Winners/Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Occasionally I will get some higher end investment type pieces. Cost per wear amortizing makes them affordable over the long term.

I think Stacy London (from What Not to Wear) wisely said that clothes are about 'fit' and if you don't like the number on the size tag, take a sharpie and put whatever size you like on the tag. I usually cut many tags off clothing, especially if they are on sweaters/tops as the tag can sometimes itch.

• Love 2

My fashion tip: Get thee ass to Nordstrom Rack ASAP. They are just putting out winter coats and I landed this North Face Denali for $89. I'm not a fan of the "pink ribbon" campaign aspect of it (I'm not a big fan of the pink ribbon campaign organization) but I wasn't walking away from that deal, for a jacket I've been lusting after for years. I also picked up a Michael by Michael Kors water proof, lined for warmth rain/trench coat for $85. I live in SoCal and we haven't had rain in 150+ days. I'm expecting that coat to have its tags on come next June. 

Also picked up some sweaters (one style in multiple colors). I'm in my late 30s and decided I should get some grown-up winter clothing. $325 later I have two coats, one pair of shoes and 6 tops.

• Love 1

No Nordstrom here except for a 3 hour drive south. We get a Nordstrom Rack in Fall 2018. We do get our first Saks Off 5th this week!

Only designer deal for me lately was a pair of Manolo Blahnik BB 90 gold shoes.

I can't really wear heels unless it's for an extremely short time, and I can sit. I have had gout several times in my right foot toe joint. I often feel like I don't look as nice in formal or cocktail dresses. It's a sad thing, but the pain is awful. Does anyone have tips on flat shoes that look nice with fancy dresses? I tend to pay less than 300$ for pairs. Not into 500$+ for shoes.

I love the new trend (while probably on its way out but whatever) of tie up pointed flats. It's like ballet flats but with laces instead of thick ribbons. That was my go to in the summer. Now that it's cold I have moved on to boots. I wear high-heeled boots but if you were wearing a cocktail dress, a slim boot might still work. I don't like flats myself but there are plenty of appropriate flats you could wear as long as they're clean. I think a pointed toe or some jeweled embellishment helps it feel a bit more formal. You could even get creative with a shoe clip or some DIY.

I think that a lot of the conventional sizes aren't really true-to-life anymore with so many women having plastic surgery. I guess there is really nothing that can be done (yet) about hip width.

That's an interesting point. I'm fairly curvy (not excessively) and petite (5'3) though I don't find that most clothes are too long for me besides some pants sometimes. However, every so often I run into a dress that I feel has to be cut for someone who has had some enhancements (or that's just been sized up even though everything doesn't increase equally as sizes go up if you get my drift). It's either made for someone with a much larger bust or giant shoulders. I tried getting those things altered or trying to make it work a couple of times but now they just go back to the store. 

OK, here's my issue. Shopping for bras when you carry more weight in your middle (basically the pooch right where the underwire would sit) and you would like to breath during the day. I hardly ever see nice bras above a 36D. I know Triumph and Natori carry some larger sizes but I don't see them at department stores or boutiques. I've only seen them at sample sales. And I missed the most recent Triumph sale. :(

Do you have a Nordstroms by you by any chance?  That's where I get almost all my bras and it's a lifesaver. They're one of the few places that carries comfortable AND cute bras in my size (a 34G). In addition to Natori, Wacol and Chantalle make great bras for larger sizes. And if you do find a brand where you are sure about the size, check out herroom.com. A Nordstrom saleswoman recommended it to me; the site has an extensive size and brand list. They usually run a lot of great deals too, and if you're in need of a sports bra in larger sizing, they have those as well. They run buy 2/get 1 free deals fairly often too. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

And if you do find a brand where you are sure about the size, check out herroom.com.

That site's a good resource. I was able to confirm through them that my favorite bra has sadly been discontinued. I've still got a few to wear (it was from Warner's, and I was always able to stock up easily through buy-2-get-1, sometimes even buy-2-get-2 sales at Macy's or online). Then I'll have to go bra shopping, which I dislike, to find a sub.

As I mentioned, I missed the Triumph sample sale (hopefully it's back next year). I checked out Natori but they didn't have a lot of my size. So close! There were a lot of 34D's. I picked up 4 bras for $38 and hopefully at least two of them will fit OK.

There was a post around here about tights and where people (including me) recommended Xhilaration brand tights (the ones in roll form) from Target. They discontinued them. If I knew I would have stocked up on their beige. Can anyone recommend something similar? I have serious texture / sensory issues when it comes to clothes but those tights were amazing.

34 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Have you tried the Target Merona tights? The ones that are in the packages by the socks. I swear by those, and I'm guessing they're probably very similar to the Xhileration ones. 

I bought a pair but they looked, and felt too much like hose and not enough like tights. I'll check another Target, the one I went to had a tiny selection.

I'm new to checking out the entirety of this site (so: this will probably sound out-of-the-loop and past it, LOL), but: the Target legwear called "Xhilaration" REALLY SUCKS now😣 and is no way as good as when they'd (primarily) carried it under the name "Merona" (which WAS, as someone upthread correctly acknowledged, a total high quality fashion bargain!).

The Target "Xhilaration" tights (and leggings, too) COMPLETELY have gotten so brittle in their fabric as well as having, now, off-the-mark sizing🤦 (while: the price has gone up to what you'd pay for HUE in, say, Macy's).  They're a waste of money and the tights ladder within DAYS.  Better alternative: check your local TJ Maxx's hosiery section.  They often have HUE for $8 and the occasional supply of sheer-to-waist nude Calvins for, like, only $14 (which is certainly better than the $30 they regularly go for!). 

I'm my daughter's personal shopper.  She has 29" waist and 44" hips.  Levis 725 high-waisted bootcut and Guess Shape Up high-waisted skinny are two jeans styles that fit great and don't cost a fortune.  She doesn't wear pants other than jeans so I haven't had the experience of searching for those.

When I was looking for jeans for her, I came across this blog and thought it had some helpful tips.  

https://meridethmorgan.com/11-best-pants-for-small-waists-big-butts/