Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion Advice And Tips

• Start Topic

I don't have specific sites to give you but I think you'd have to find them mostly online now.  Don't get me started on how a lot of things are becoming obsolete in the stores, especially in the underwear department.  I pretty much get all my underwear, especially shapewear online now.  And the prices are usually better, too.  I don't mind shopping online if the garment is something I've already worn and know will fit me but buying stuff like this sight unseen doesn't work for me.

I have tried it all. I swear, I'm debating heading to a bridal shop next! I just want it loose below the bust, and shiny for keeping my dress from clinging to my tights. And I don't want to wear a separate bra under it. Is this too much to ask of the world? Maybe I should try sewing a half-slip to a bra!

Thanks! You know--that Etsy vintage one shows some promise but I am on the fence about a used slip. All the shapewear stuff (which I don't want) has the real-deal bras, while the non-shapewear usually has that non-supportive kind necessitating a real bra underneath. I need a good combination of the two. I actually saw a tutorial online about making one's own bras (which seems like more trouble than it's worth--like making pasta from scratch)...but I suppose if I could manage that, my dream slip could become a reality!

(edited)

I wear a 4.5 or 5 shoe (US sizes) and often need to pre-order shoes/pay full price!  I can't just walk into DSW or Marshall's and expect to find cute stuff.  And the lack of waist definition isn't just for very thin women.  You can be a size 10 and still lack waist-to-hip ratio (this is coming from a woman who typically takes size 0 or even 00, thanks to vanity sizing).

Ohmygod me too! I wear a size 3 in shoes and have had to go to the youth section to find shoes, usually in the boys section because the girls have all kinds of glitter and pink frilly decoration.  I wear a size 0 or 1 if I wear a belt or have it taken in. 

Edited by funkopop

And in keeping with this thread's title, you know what I need advice about? Where to find a decent, not-squeezy, short slip with a real-deal built-in bra! I hate layering strappy things like that. It seems like slips are becoming obsolete unless they're shapewear.

I know exactly what you want, but unfortunately, it's the slip I had in high school that I think was my mother's before that so it wasn't new even in the early 80s.

And it seems that this perfectly fabulous type of lingerie has gone the way of the dinosaurs! Oh, why? I mean, OK, shap-wear is great and fine. It's just that I typically don't need it on a day-to-day basis, you know? Come on, stores! Get back on the slip train with me! I swear, I will invent something. I have a sewing machine!

• Love 1

Speaking of lingerie, I HATE buying bras (probably my second least favourite item to buy, wardrobe wise.  # 1 would be shoes).  I spend A LOT on them because most mainstream brands don't make band sizes smaller than 32.  I sometimes buy online at The Little Bra Company, but they're like $60+ a pop! 

Note on petite pants:  I don't know what brands you guys are buying, but premium petite denim tends to be longer - up to a 31" inseam.  Pants depend.  I think I have a a weird waist length because pants don't always sit properly - ones that are supposed to be just below the bellybutton often slip down to just above the hipbone (my go-to petite lines are Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and J.Crew), so they look droopy.  If they're in the right position, then the length is fine provided that I wear flats.  I don't think my legs are all that short, even for my height (people have mistaken me as being taller - around 5'4" instead of 5'2"). I've found that petite dresses look a bit short on me.  As in they BARELY pass "office appropriate." 

Heh--I have a dress on now that barely passes my ass. I feel like I get away with this because the dresses are vintage. And because I have a large stockpile of opaque black tights that I wear through the entire year.

and have a hard time finding shoes I like that fit well

Don't get me started on shoes!!! I have very narrow feet and most brands are too wide for me. And I also have a long big toe, so even when the "size" and width are ok, they are still too short. Never, ever, will I buy shoes online because of these two issues. (And by the way, who buys stuff online on a regular basis? Even with clothes, I need to try them on first, touch the fabric, see if it's machine washable, etc. All details usually not found online - or am I just looking at the wrong sites?)

Also, difficult to find shoes that are neither flat nor vertiginously high. Am I so 90s/00s? I just want a nice, 2-3 inch hell or thereabout, but it seems all I see is no heel or crazy heel. I can work with platform alright, but I want some other shoes to wear for more "dressy" occasions!

• Love 1

Also, difficult to find shoes that are neither flat nor vertiginously high. Am I so 90s/00s? I just want a nice, 2-3 inch hell or thereabout, but it seems all I see is no heel or crazy heel. I can work with platform alright, but I want some other shoes to wear for more "dressy" occasions!

I blame SJP/Carrie Bradshaw for the whole shoe thing.  I don't think women were as crazy about shoes before the end of the 90s/early 2000s.  But what would I know?  I graduated from high school in '98. 

• Love 1

I blame SJP/Carrie Bradshaw for the whole shoe thing.  I don't think women were as crazy about shoes before the end of the 90s/early 2000s.  But what would I know?  I graduated from high school in '98. 

I graduated high school in 86 and loved shoes even then. In junior high, my favorite shoes were sandals that I guess were platform, but had holes through the heel. I'm not sure what they were called, although I think there was a name for them. I loved them. I don't know what I was thinking. (I did have some questionable taste when I was younger, though. In elementary school, my favorite pants were hot pink, double-knit polyester bell-bottoms. And I wore gauchos and thought they were cool.)

In college, I bought a pair of white ankle boots that could best be described as granny boots. They were very old-fashioned looking, with little heels and white lacy cut-outs on the upper part. I would wear them now if I still had them and they still fit.

With short or see-through dresses, I usually just wear spandex cotton small shorts and then a tank top with or without a built in bra. It's not perfect, but I like the extra security of not flashing someone accidentally. I don't have to worry about my underwear being seen through the dress or if the wind blows my skirt up. The shorts are easy to find, especially if you can fit kids sizes, in any color.

I've never been very into shoes. I want to have a nice selection, sure. But, shopping for them isn't fun to me. I've only ever had two pairs I loved. One was a Ted Baker pool sandle and the other a satin wedge with velvet laces running up the leg. I'm all about comfort. And, I'm clumsy. You think a shoe will work but then it hurts or only looks good with one pair of pants. They get dirty on the bottoms and you track the germs inside. Some might slightly smell. They're hard to organize: Take up a lot of room...germ factor.

I love the idea of plastic boxes for each pair with a picture on the side. I'm not going to do that. I should, but I dont. I'm lazy and throw them in the coat closet or keep them in their box somewhere. I'd love to have a room right by the door with nothing but boxes of shoes on racks and a full length mirror. I have the perfect room to do that by my entry. Hmmmmm....

• Love 1

A tip I've found is the magic of wearing my hair up in a scrunchie- yes, an actual scrunchie- during the night. I don't get hair in my face, so it stays cleaner, and it doesn't leave a dent like hair ties do. Also, there's less hair breakage.

• Love 1

That's what I do. That way my curly hair doesn't end up a poofy mess.

The only clothes I hate shopping for are bras. I tried to look online on information how to find the right size. But I can't seem to figure out how to find my size.

Edited by BatmanBeatles

I finally gave up and went to a bra store (Intimacy) to get fitted; I could never find a good bra on my own. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but I was totally buying the wrong size for years. I'm now fully lifted and supported (and that old saying that finding a good bra can make you look thinner is totally true!).

• Love 1

You think a shoe will work but then it hurts or only looks good with one pair of pants.

Some shoes I am willing to stand a little pain for. But they have to be really cute.

If shoes only go with one outfit, then I have to buy some other clothes to go with them. (I have done that before. I bought green shoes to go with a greatvdress I bought on a great sale to wear to a wedding. Then I had to buy some tops to wear with a black and white skirt that would go with the shoes.)

That's what I do. That way my curly hair doesn't end up a poofy mess.

The only clothes I hate shopping for are bras. I tried to look online on information how to find the right size. But I can't seem to figure out how to find my size.

Do you have a Nordstrom's near you?  I got fitted there after struggling to find a bra that fit well, and it was a life-changing experience.  They also have a HUGE selection of bras, and the associate knew which brands fit a little differently, and would bring corresponding sizes.  

If you don't have a Nordstroms or a specialty store near you, I think this online guide is pretty good.  I know it's from reddit, but it really is a good guide, and after you get your measurements, it has a link to an online bra calculator to help you find your size.  

Also - if anyone has a tough to find bra size (I do), I cannot recommend the site herroom.com enough.  They have a TON of brands and sizes, and they have a large collection of sports bras, which I find are difficult to find in a wide range of sizes even in specialty stores.  You can also sort their reviews by bra size, so you can see how others with the same size feel about the fit.  They also have great coupons from time to time (last time I ordered a sports bra, they had a buy 2/get one free deal).  Just my two cents, because even after I got my correct bra size, I had a hell of a time trying to find a sports bra in my size.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Help, please!

Oh my. My, my, my.

I ordered a pair of Teva sandals (black sole, light gray straps) to go to Disney World. I'm pregnant and hoping to find something waterproof. They fit. They're comfortable. But, oh.......they are very nerdy looking on me. The picture online looked a little cute. Should I wear them anyway? Bring along just in case it rains? Am I being too stuck up? It's Disney not a fashion show but am hoping to get cute pictures.

I've looked online a little and lo and behold a couple suggestions sort of match what I'm thinking...

Dark gray acid wash cotton skirt with tee and button up (open) chambray shirt

Light pink and white polka dot juicy couture denim shorts with a black disney (pastel accents) tank.

Aqua shorts denim-medium to short length- with ?

Army green shorts with navy and white small stripes sweater

My backpack is a red medium sized Marc Jacobs one with small flowers. Mostly I'll be wearing Ecco suede black slip on sneakers.

Any other ideas?

I've got 2 cute white dresses (hippie style). Unsure about that look though. Any thoughts?

Edited by Betweenyouandme

Wear the sandals and the waterproof is smart.If you go on a water ride or it rains, the sneakers are going to suck, plus the sandals will be nice if your feet end up swelling by the end of the day.

And I like the skirt with the tee and chambray shirt. Depending on when you go, and where you're from, it'll be hot as blazes but inside a lot of places it can get cold.

• Love 1

Don't be self-conscious!  I bet if you pay attention while there, you'll notice a fair number of people by themselves - whether they are traveling alone or just breaking off from a group for a bit (a welcome relief for many of us).  Do be careful though - there are so many tourist in the Orlando area that there is always someone looking for an easy mark.

Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in.  I've only made day trips to amusement parks, so I always packed an extra shirt just-in-case and a small hand towel to tidy myself up with in case of rain or unexpected soaking from a water ride.  Depending on where you are staying, I would probably plan out your activites so that you aren't out in the sun during the height of the sun and heat.

• Love 2

Don't be self-conscious! I bet if you pay attention while there, you'll notice a fair number of people by themselves - whether they are traveling alone or just breaking off from a group for a bit (a welcome relief for many of us). Do be careful though - there are so many tourist in the Orlando area that there is always someone looking for an easy mark.

Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. I've only made day trips to amusement parks, so I always packed an extra shirt just-in-case and a small hand towel to tidy myself up with in case of rain or unexpected soaking from a water ride. Depending on where you are staying, I would probably plan out your activites so that you aren't out in the sun during the height of the sun and heat.

Thank you. Luckily, I'm staying on-property but not at a monorail resort. I do hope/imagine the Disney transportation/shuttles are still a lot safer than public. I've been so excited and also nervous about this trip! I'm making a/c abd eating the major priority this trip because I have a strong tendency to faint...not a good thing to happen alone. But, luckily, too, I'm packing a backpack to carry a raincoat, hold my sweater, have a steel water bottle, emergency snack. And, I do have a lock for the bag.

Help, please!

Oh my. My, my, my.

I ordered a pair of Teva sandals (black sole, light gray straps) to go to Disney World. I'm pregnant and hoping to find something waterproof. They fit. They're comfortable. But, oh.......they are very nerdy looking on me. The picture online looked a little cute. Should I wear them anyway? Bring along just in case it rains? Am I being too stuck up? It's Disney not a fashion show but am hoping to get cute pictures.

I've looked online a little and lo and behold a couple suggestions sort of match what I'm thinking...

Dark gray acid wash cotton skirt with tee and button up (open) chambray shirt

Light pink and white polka dot juicy couture denim shorts with a black disney (pastel accents) tank.

Aqua shorts denim-medium to short length- with ?

Army green shorts with navy and white small stripes sweater

My backpack is a red medium sized Marc Jacobs one with small flowers. Mostly I'll be wearing Ecco suede black slip on sneakers.

Any other ideas?

I've got 2 cute white dresses (hippie style). Unsure about that look though. Any thoughts?

This may help - much like Birkenstocks over the past few years, Tevas are making a comeback as the new "It" sandal for the summer.  This article is from last year, but I've seen some recently that suggest they're here to stay.  And if you some more outfit ideas, Lucky Magazine has a few from when they were talking about Tevas last year, and here's some from a costume designer.

I have to say though, I'm a Birkenstock Gizeh girl myself.  Those things are just so dang comfy.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Yes! That last linked article is where I saw the acid washed dress that's similar to my skirt. I wish I'd looked before I bought and found some with the better looking soles. Mine are just thick and black.. No thining out near the toes or added color. I could have returned them but didn't want to be short on time or end up with two pairs. Oh well, I can still match up some of the suggested outfits.

I've started volunteering at the local hospital. The dress code is a white top, navy blazer or sweater and black pants or skirt. I haven't worn a skirt in ages and was thinking about getting a black pencil skirt just because I don't have any skirts period and it would be a change of pace at the hospital.

The problem is that you have to have your legs covered. I absolutely HATE those awful Leggs pantyhose you get anywhere and I don't really want to buy a pair of expensive sheer pantyhose that could possibly rip the first time I wear them. I am 5'9" and could stand to lose 10-15 lbs., but I'm not overly fat. I've always worn Q or plus sizes in pantyhose because they are longer and just fit better.

I don't know about opaque tights in the summer. I found some fishnet patterned stockings/tights on Amazon. They are in cute, subtle patterns, like flowers and vines with a pretty fine mesh; not the seamed big criss-crossed ones you'd associate with strippers, lingerie, etc. I was thinking of a light gray or coffee color, as I have very pale legs and navy or black would be too much of a contrast, plus might not go over well with the administration. They also come in nude shades, but then what's the point in the pattern? I've worn fishnets before and really like them if they aren't too scratchy, because they last.

BTW, I'm in my mid-50's. I'd wear black leather flats. I work in a far-away area of the hospital and am seated most of the time. There isn't much traffic. I would normally think about some light self-tanner and just going with bare legs, but we have to check in and out at the volunteer office and I know that the woman at the front desk would notice.

Any ideas?

• Love 1

I would personally do thick, opaque tights, but that's because I find hospitals absolutely freezing! Target has a good selection on the winter but probably not this time of year...maybe online. I'd likely wear leggings if not tights.

But, I don't know if you're prone to be too warm.

I would go with nude fishnets. That's my go to choice with shoes when I need to look dressy in summer and, contrary to black, they look very stylish with the right clothes and not sleazy at all! :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

So, I'm not sure what your price range is, but I can give you the ones I wear most frequently:

-The Editor pants from Express.  I like the "wide waistband" version, because I find the fabric is a little better on those.

I love The Columnist Barely Boot from Express. They are pricey but no more so than Gap or Banana Republic (depending on sales). I did find different fabrics fit differently - a faux denim was super snug while the same size in other patterns fit great.

Regarding tights - I'll throw my vote to the Target tights. I live in SoCal and all my regular Target haunts have them year round on an end-cap. I'm not easy on them and they seem to last a very very long time.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1

Wow.  Took the 14 yo daughter shopping today looking for a new bathing suit.  No luck in that department, but seriously disturbed by the shortalls we saw in the girls department.  She likes the idea of the overall type top, but the shorts barely would have covered the smallest of bottoms!  These are size 6 - 12 girls.  If you went down a slide, you'd burn the back of your legs in summer.

A lot of the girls styles were virtually indistinguishable from the stuff in juniors.  Back in my day....

• Love 3
(edited)

I have a question concerning jean/denim skirts.... Are denim/jean skirts meant to flatten your ass if yours isn't big? Anyone feel the same way? Or maybe I am just bad @ finding ones that flatter my tiny ass....

Edited by OrientalAmish

In days of yore, I had that problem.  The trick is to find the fit that actually does flatter your tiny derriere.  For me, I found a slim cut (basically a pencil skirt in denim) in a heavy fabric and darker shade was the most flattering to me.   Denim mini skirts were a thing, but the cut didn't do much for my ass.  I wore them anyway, because I had better than average long legs and no one would notice my butt.

Went to Old Navy today in search of a few new items for the 14 yo, but wound up buying a new pair of boyfriend jeans for myself.  I'm undecided as to whether I will keep them or not - they've got the pre-torn thing going on and frankly, I'm way passed that look (hmmm...I did it 25+ years ago).  However, I have had no luck finding jeans that I like in recent years so it was kind of a desperation purchase.  I'll get the opinion of the 14 yo when she gets home from school - I want to be comfortable, but I do not want to give off that vibe of "middle aged Mom trying to be young".  Growing up my favorite jeans were always my older brothers' Levis that they outgrew - they were well worn, soft and gloriously faded (often having been worn by all 4 of the older brothers at some point).

On their website, Old Navy do have non-torn ones in the same cut and wash, so I may end up going that route.

I'm on the tall side and high waisted - mid-rise jeans and pants feel so so low to me!  I keep feeling like it messes up my body proportions and cuts across the widest part of me.  Anyone notice this?  Or am I just having fashion trauma brought on by those high waisted wonders of my youth?

• Love 1

Question:  I wore the new jeans (described above) today and figured out that button fly and my right hand don't work so well together.  I have a significant lose in fine motor skills on my right.

I was thinking if I could remove all the rivets (save the top one) and replace it with velcro closures it would be a lot more manageable for me.  Anyone have an idea as to how to remove the rivets?

The last time I bought hiking-style boots, I bought the Faded Glory brand at Walmart because they were cheap, and I needed them right away for a trip. They lasted 10 years, which surprised me. (I didn't wear them constantly, but I did wear them a lot). Now they don't make that style any more.

Not familiar with either brand. 

The last pair I bought were Hi-Tec from REI.  They are a less pricey brand I think, but they were very good quality.  If you can fit into a men's size, I'd consider Red Wing.  The people I know who have them are extremely loyal to them and put on a fair amount of miles on their boots.  I believe they have some that fall in a more modest price range and go up from there.

I need some fashion advice. 

I generally wear pants to work, often in the summer wear skirts/dresses with sandals.  Sometimes in the winter I will wear a winter dress with boots. 

SO -   what does a woman past age 50 wear to a job interview?  I have some dressy skirt/shell/sweater combos that might work, or a plain dress/sweater, which would be appropriate, but unless it's 90+ degrees, it doesn't seem like sandals are a good idea.   I would wear plain hose with flats, but I'm hearing and reading that nude hose are out of style and will brand me as "old lady".   I've worn tights, but they seem too casual - or are they?  and I've only worn black tights - is there another option?   

I'm thinking about a change after being with one employer for a long time, so I haven't interviewed in a while.  I want to look professional, and want to avoid looking old and dowdy, but also don't want to look like I'm trying too hard to be trendy.  

Any ideas?

Anyone who deems you unfashionable for nude hose has too much time on their hand and very little on their mind.

I'd go with a classic look - clean lines and neutral colors with a blouse in a bolder, flattering tone.  Unless the sector you work with is in the creative field, than I would have no idea what works.

• Love 3

Last time I interviewed (3 years ago), I wore a black skirt, a white shirt and a black pinstriped blazer with low-heel black pumps and nude hose. It might depend where you live, though. People still wear hose in my part of the country. Not younger women, necessarily, but on more dressy occasions, what I call professional women do.

• Love 1

thank you.  I'm in social services, so it's a little less "business", but not quite creative/artsy.   Everything I hear lately about nude hose is negative, but it's actually what I would think would go with an interview outfit the best.   

Now off to the closet to see if anything fits.  

thanks again, both of you.   I'm still ambivalent about switching jobs at this point, but want to be prepared. 

• Love 1