Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Endive Into Discussion

I saw Sandy's magazine today!  It was way in the back of the magazine rack at Walgreens, and I had to take a peek at it.  I didn't look at much, since I spent part of the time trying to hide the fact that I was reading the Sandra Lee magazine, and I didn't really get into the russipees.  From what I did see, though, it was the sappiest thing I have ever seen.  Really sugary-sweet, including a heart-shaped "Letter from Sandra."  I'm sure that had to do with Valentine's Day, but it just seemed like something SLop would do.  And of course there was an ad for Smirnoff's, with "drink responsibly" down in the corner in little bitty letters.  I kind of wanted to look at more, but that might have required buying it, and there are other things I'd rather spend my money on.

... or not.

It turns out the doctor postponed the surgery the day before b/c he saw some new type of lenses that were coming out in March that he thought would be better for me than what he was going to use.

• Love 1

They didn't, now that you mention it... ;-)

Apparently, something is delaying the new corrective lenses. I had my eyes examined Friday for a medical note so I can work from home and was told if they don't get a release date soon, they'll find out at an opthomology seminar in the first week of November.

For the last few months FN has been sneaking in an Aunt Sandy episode on Wednesday morning at 10am. Lately they have been re-running that restaurant remake show.

But today they busted out the Renaissance Halloween. Next week Halloween Queens is on the schedule (that's the one where she is Anne Boleyn, Guinevere, Marie Antoinette and Elizabeth I. Get your DVRs ready.

• Love 5

Good news, she is getting her hair touched up, and some sort of fancy skin treatment to cover up the hollow patches. She just posted a Dark Side of the Moon cake, and is posting some drinks on Facebook. The cake is more silly than terrible, and the drinks look okay, but I have faith that as she feels better Super Sandy will come out to play.

For the last few months FN has been sneaking in an Aunt Sandy episode on Wednesday morning at 10am. Lately they have been re-running that restaurant remake show.

But today they busted out the Renaissance Halloween. Next week Halloween Queens is on the schedule (that's the one where she is Anne Boleyn, Guinevere, Marie Antoinette and Elizabeth I. Get your DVRs ready.

I cannot tell you how happy I was when I saw that, and it actually made miss her. No one on FN can even come close to matching her insanity, the Pioneer Woman looks strictly amateur hour compared to Aunt Sandy. I checked, and we also get Christmas and Thanksgiving episodes.

• Love 4

Semi-Ho is back, sort of?  Cool, I'm going to have to find out what channel Food Network is on.  I haven't watched it since they took her show off the air, and I moved over the summer along with changing my TV provider, so I don't know where it is now.  But I am sure it is there somewhere!

• Love 1

Aunt Sandy is out and media running proud! She looks great and is social mediaing great!.

I am 100% sure total crap cooking is close behind, so looking forward to mocking her.

I am so happy, my mother and father in law died of cancer, so glad Sandy is bouncing and and beating it, even if she is the drunken clown of cooking.

Doesn't the Kwanzaa Kake episode always get preempted?

I'm sure; I keep missing it. :-(

On the cataract front, the doctor's office called yesterday afternoon to tell me my lenses will be available in "Summer 2016".

Oh, dear...

• Love 1

Okay, fellow Shrikes. I'm visiting my step-daughter and family in NOLA, and I made a snide comment about Sandra Lee - my husband laughed and our daughter said "Who is Sandra Lee?" I was at a loss of how to describe her other than the semi-homemade concept. So other than sending her a link to the King Cake disaster and the Kwanzaa cake, any other links I can send her to? I'd love to send her one of the more outrageous tablescapes.

As far as videos, you can try going to YouTube entering "sandra lee tablescapes."   There aren't that many that I can see (although I didn't go beyond the first page), but there are at least a few, including the chair on the table (still have no idea how she mounted that thing!).  Also the entire Holiday Cocktail episode is on there.  I also saw the vomiting/gory accident elephant turd.

• Love 1

I think the Christmas show with the cocktail-glass tree and Sven, her giant nutcracker boyfriend is pretty much a classic. Autopsy salmon and the salad made from canned Chinese vegetables are dependable stomach turners. The Easter show with the radioactive roadkill bunny cake is a fave of mine.

I have mentioned before that I actually finally met Aunt Sandy and she was truly lovely. I could never find it in my heart to snark much after that. But I never could rewrite history in my brain and I still find Semi-Homemade just head-spinningly crazy. So much of the food and decor were so WTF.

ETA: OK, I just had to hit YouTube. Go do a search for "Sandra Lee-induced seizure." Trust me.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 4

Actually the nutcracker was Bjorn (or Bee-yorn), I think?  Although I suppose there could be a Sven somewhere in that nutcracker collection of  hers.  I'm not sure if Bee-yorn was the giant nutcracker whose function was to scare everyone out of the kitchen or another one.

I forgot about the Sandra Lee-induced seizure!  I haven't watched that one in ages, so I had to go back and see it again.  Ah yes, the long, thick, nine-inch...am I going to get banned if I say any more?

Note to self:  Never meet Aunt Sandy in person (I don't think I want to lose the snark!).

Edited by ragstoriches
  • Love 1

I would think clips from the Halloween shows where she dressed up as various celebrities would be a good place to start. Or the blinding white Christmas episode where she and Kimmie got looped and were visibly disappointed that their pork roast came out of the oven brown instead of white. Aunt Sandy went through so many changes over the years, it's hard to imagine explaining all of it to someone who wasn't there.

• Love 1

I finally got to see Semi-Ho today.  Oh, how I have missed Aunt Sandy's show.  The transparent cupboards, the pasta salad featuring nice soggy and mushy croutons, her plastic Baggies, the boozy cocktail for a kiddie tailgate party (but don't worry kids, Aunt Sandy has a nice hose out back you can drink from), the lovely fire-and-brimstone color scheme...sure takes me back!

Edited by ragstoriches

*waving* Hi guys!Just zipping by on my way to somewhere else and was surprised to this little engine was still chugging along. Oh how I miss our Saturday mornings together! Hope all are well, especially you Ubi.

*waving* Hi guys!Just zipping by on my way to somewhere else and was surprised to this little engine was still chugging along. Oh how I miss our Saturday mornings together! Hope all are well, especially you Ubi.

Welcome back! I am doing well, thanks. In fact, my final eye exam is this afternoon.

Apparently I missed those days entirely!  I wish Television Without Pity had archived the Semi-Ho threads.  Those were kind of fun to read sometimes.

This Wednesday's episode is Two For One Shower...isn't that the one where she decorates everything in bright yellow and blinds everyone?  Also I think we get to see Kimber again.

Have you tried using the Internet Wayback machine? The site has archives of old sites, like TVwoP, but it's incomplete. If I had known those wouldn't be saved when the site went down...

Are you watching these reruns on Food Network, or are they playing on that country/rural network (CMT?) again?

ETA:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140331173653/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/

Edited by Ubiquitous

Oh thank you Ubiquitous, thank you thank you thank you!  I probably missed those old threads more than is healthy.  OK, maybe I didn't obsess over them or anything...

They're on Food Network.  If you watch this one, you should probably protect your eyes or something.  Especially if you have had eye surgery.  Or even if you didn't.  Unfortunately I no longer have dark glasses handy.

Today at Trader Joe's, I saw the strawberry version of  this.  It didn't appeal to me because I'm narrow-minded about margaritas & think they should not involve strawberries, but I was surprised & pleased to see that the concoction didn't include a slew of flavored liquors (such as vanilla vodka plus pear brandy plus creme de menthe plus chocolate espresso cognac) -- nothing but tequila, triple sec, & fruit juice.  The lime version might not be half bad, though I don't see how it could be an improvement over making my own.  

(edited)
On 3/24/2016 at 11:13 PM, ragstoriches said:

SLop has millions of fans?  Or do they include shrikes among her "fans?"

Oh I'd have to say that we strikes are her fans. That show was a hoot! Made for many fun Saturday mornings.

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Love 1

I'm thinking maybe Sandy, or possibly the Food Network scheduler, has some kind of vendetta against Eggs Benedict.  Today's show was the second in a row that featured Sandy plopping an aig on top of bacon (regular, not Canadian), dousing it with some nasty yellow stuff that was supposed to be "Hollandaise sauce" and calling it Eggs Benedict.  I mean, talk about deja vu.

Also, what the hell did she do to her skin in these Restaurant Remakes shows?  That orange outfit she wore during Cocktail Time matched her skin almost perfectly.  Come to think of it, so did the cocktail.  I don't think the Oompa Loompa look really works on her.