Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Endive Into Discussion

From tablescapes to ripping off restaurant menus, we need a home for Aunt Sandy for old times sake.  "One for me now and one for me later!" Bottoms up!

Edited by grisgris

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show -- a social thread and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new threads for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

*waves*  Hello!  Feeling very nostalgic so I had to pop in here.  Even though it has been a long time since I posted in any SLoP forums, it's nice to see your familiar names over here.  I will miss those old threads almost as much as I miss Semi-Ho being on the air.  Those were such good times. 

• Love 1

Well, if we're going to have a book club, we have to do it right.  WhitneyWhit already mentioned the tablescape with burned book pages.  Maybe we can use pages from SLop's book.  That way there should be no regrets.  Should we also have those little pink books with parts of them highlighted (I think that's how it was done)?  Also, we need a very boozy cocktail and a giant panini-type sandwich that is impossible to eat without making a huge mess.  Am I leaving anything out?

• Love 1

RagstoRiches, I think you've nailed it. We also have to don our fanciest party dresses.  LOL!  I assume the book we'll be discussing is "The Recipe Box?"  It's a quick read and actually quite amusing. I have to admit that for one's first crack at a romance novel, it isn't awful, but I question as to how much (if any or all) of it was ghost-written. I think this will be lots of fun once we get it set up and people on board.

Actually, the book in question was "Made from Scratch" I think?  You can probably find that in the clearance section of your reg'lar book store for 50 cents or something.  I forgot about that other book.  I wonder who told her she could be a writer anyway.

As it turns out, the library here has both books, which is cool since I won't have to actually pay for them and can give them back in a few weeks, but I think I'd be embarrassed checking out both of them, even if not at the same time.  Maybe they should be discussed a year apart or something.

(edited)

Let's do the book club!

Mousie, what do you think?  Do you want to do the book club and which book shall we discuss?  I (hangs head in shame) own both books, but I'll need to forage for "Made from Scratch."  I don't want anybody to have to purchase a book that they normally wouldn't buy or be ashamed for checking out at the library (totally understand!)

Lets all discuss further and get rolling.  I've been looking forward to this for quite some time!  Thanks! 

Edited by grisgris

Amazon has both books available - Made from Scratch is $1 and The Recipe Box is less than $4. If someone starts a book club, I have an amazon gift card with a couple of bucks left on it, so I'm in.

I also have a very small bottle of Goldschläger that my husband bought for me as a joke. I should make a Golden Glory and drink a toast to the new forums! 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/golden-glory-recipe.html

Oh, I'm sure I can handle checking it out.  I'm sure the librarian won't even think anything of it.  I can't guarantee I'll be able to read it all the way through...in fact, I have serious doubts about that.  But I'll do my best.  Which may not be much.

I envy you people whose librarians haven't been replaced with self-checkout machines -- I guess the upside is that I could check out all of the Sandra Lee books I want without embarrassment, but that's not something I expect to do.  I would enjoy reading about them here, though, so I look forward to your book club discussion.

(edited)

The book club wasn't my idea, so I don't want to jump rank here. It seems to me that there has been scattered talk here and there about the "accuriacies" about "Made from Scratch."

I am just making a suggestion and that is all and don't want to offend anybody. Maybe it would be better to have a book club discussion about "The Recipe Box." 

I apologize sincerely to Mousie, as this was her idea to begin with and it was an excellent one!  I guess that my enhusiasm and idle time (awaiting hip joint replacement sometime this summer) has made me overly zealous. It gets lonely....

I'm eager to buy in to what ever the group decides. 

Edited by grisgris

Ooh! Another thing to do with the book - decoupage it onto the outsides of your martini glasses. Make sure it's got an "artistic" carefully-torn edge sticking up past the rim of the glass, too.

Oh, my God! Is it really you? I haven't seen Formerly Amish in a looooooooong time! Back in the day, I was known as mkd and we were going to have a SLop-Con in DC!

I had an Aunt Sandy moment this morning when I heard this on the radio, concerning Andrew Cuomo's office and racy ads on the NY subway:  http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/09/cuomo-aide-takes-aim-at-racy-subway-ads/

They don't mention Sandy's thoughts on the subject, but since she's a walking, talking advertisement for breast augmentation.......

Edited by vera charles

Hey guys, I wasn't on the TWOP forum but hope you won't mind if a stranger adds herself to the (store bought) mix.

Aunt Sandy has been a bottomless supply of laughs and cringes for me. So glad there's a place here to discuss the magic of chili seasoning packets and canned frosting. Here's hoisting a glass of PB&J martini to ya!

• Love 2

Hi, everyone! Welcome back, Previously Amish, I have been a big fan of your blogs over the years as well as your Sandy-snark.

GrisGris, sorry to hear about the hip surgery I hope goes as smoothly as possible for you. I broke my arm right below the shoulder a few years ago and had surgery to have metal pins inserted to hold it all together. It took a while but I got most of my range of motion back.

Please do not worry about planning or starting the book club without me. I seem to disappear from the forums from time to time when work gets busy. So if anyone has some ideas or wants to get started, go right ahead and I will jump in when I can.

We originally started talking about doing this last summer when "Recipe Box" was published, so that was the book we were talking about. It's a poignant saga of a harried career woman who learns to build a relationship with her teen daughter and her mother while simultaneously fending off the attentions of three (!!!) handsome men.

Hope that little description piques some interest. Remember, all this wisdom about mother/daughter love was written by a woman who has no children and apparently hasn't spoken to her own mother in over 20 years.

I will look forward to further comments from y'all. If the "Recipe Box" goes well we can dust off "Made From Scratch" and give that a go too.

Edited by mousie

Hi cheekybones, Thanks for the welcome!

The moving plight of Grace Holm-D'Angelo is a classic cautionary tale for the ages, and I look forward to discussing it here over some vanilla vodka and Brycer's russipee for Lucky Charms squares. Are we required to be sober?

I hope not, because I think I may need an Aunt Sandy cocktail to get me through her books.  Is there a good one for someone who rarely drinks booze, or is that asking too much?

Unless we don't actually have to read them cover to cover.  Is skimming through them OK?

Skimming is fine. You are not going find either book a challenge to read.

Simple cocktail: start with your favorite citrus juice, add a small amount of *plain* vodka and top off with sparkling water, adjust to taste. (Save the gernishes and choking/eye poking hazards for later) You can buy the small "airline" bottles of spirits if you don't want to commit to a large quantity.

Cheers, RtoR.

Plain vodka?  What about vanilla vodka?  And where's the ornj li-KOOR?  And NOT including any choking hazards or eye-poking gernishes?  What kind of a cocktail russipee is this?  Also, isn't it supposed to be served in a glass the size of my head?

Super-simple Aunt Sandy "Cocktail Time!" Russipee For Those Who Aren't Frequent Drinkers, Using Store-Bought Ingredients You Already Have In Your Pantry:

Sandra Lee's Beer Margaritas

Beer, frozen limeade (thawed), tequila, lime juice. Throw together in a pitcher (or bucket). Serve over ice. Garnish with a slice of store-bought key lime pie (her russipee calls for lime wedges, but we can do better).

Lord how she loves to "deconstruct" pie. Do you remember the time she bought a pie, I think it was pumpkin, then smashed it up with a fork (filling, pastry, everything mashed together into goo) and put that into a different crust? Why would I not just eat the pie I bought?!?!?!? And then she ends these pie russipee monstrosities with "...no one will know it wasn't home made and you'll get to take all the credit." More like "you'll get to take all the blame".

I wonder if I can get her book used. Too embarrassed to request it at the library.

How fun to see some of the names from the old days (waves at anneofcleves & FormerlyAmish)! I kinda miss the gleeful anticipation of a new episode and the rush to ThatOtherForum to nitpick it to death, even though she made it so easy. I'll have to borrow the book from SeventhHell/Rosie. I gave to her a few years ago and forgot to read it first :-/

(edited)

Hello, fellow shrikes!

ETA:

Lord how she loves to "deconstruct" pie. Do you remember the time she bought a pie, I think it was pumpkin, then smashed it up with a fork (filling, pastry, everything mashed together into goo) and put that into a different crust?

You're giving SLop too much credit; all she did was scoop out the filling and use it for the filling in stacks of fried wonton wrappers.

Edited by Ubiquitous

Not quite as bad as this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sandra+lee+evening+shorts&client=firefox-a&hs=pZt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=f3URDNur6FxcjM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcSuxMB8LlFIhHLo-dHL2qaS5LBf39YZxCYMrKRmkD9tUC_CxlIo%253B419%253B628%253Bij75RMlyM_OI-M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.gofugyourself.com%25252Fsemi-fug-made-09-2011&source=iu&usg=__EoGBZ0zzda8NCP4mIu34NvSHvOY%3D&sa=X&ei=SJ5pU87FLdProATf6IGQBw&ved=0CEoQ9QEwBA#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=f3URDNur6FxcjM%253A%3Bij75RMlyM_OI-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn02.cdn.gofugyourself.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F09%252Fus_weekly_23_wenn3512968-419x628.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gofugyourself.com%252Fsemi-fug-made-09-2011%3B419%3B628

Or this one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sandra+lee+fairy+godmother&client=firefox-a&hs=VwY&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=aVzHcD64sBchgM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcQUXK285uhFj6TqXSOVCxH1jTlkl9zlB4adekfzGYUwzXH2WYIl%253B575%253B370%253B--bHmJfl6DhCoM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Ffoodnetworkhumor.com%25252F2009%25252F10%25252Fsandra-lees-halloween-costumes-a-photo-journey%25252F&source=iu&usg=__Zn6arqs2E9y3Ztfo-cwnN1Wh77s%3D&sa=X&ei=w55pU_6QEZXdoATcjoDoCg&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAg#facrc=_&imgrc=aVzHcD64sBchgM%253A%3B--bHmJfl6DhCoM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffoodnetworkhumor.com%252Fimg%252Fsandra-lee-costume-6.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffoodnetworkhumor.com%252F2009%252F10%252Fsandra-lees-halloween-costumes-a-photo-journey%252F%3B575%3B370

• Love 1

Good Lord, what is up with some of those dresses? That crazy get-up from the Met gala. It's like two different dresses got into a fight and Sandy got caught in between them. What the hell???

• Love 3

Hello, fellow shrikes!

ETA:

You're giving SLop too much credit; all she did was scoop out the filling and use it for the filling in stacks of fried wonton wrappers.

Oh no, it was way worse. She took a frozen apple pie, baked it, then smushed the entire thing up with a fork (including the crust, just smooshed everything into glop), added even more sugary stuff, then baked some filo pastry and layered it with the extra sweet mushy pie glop. Topped with a tub of Cool Whip. Complete insanity.

• Love 1

Greetings, fellow Shrikes!  It's good to have so many of the old gang back together again! 

I guess I'll have to seek out the Semi-Homemade novels so I too can join in the Book Club.

Sandra Lee's Beer Margaritas

Beer, frozen limeade (thawed), tequila, lime juice. Throw together in a pitcher (or bucket). Serve over ice. Garnish with a slice of store-bought key lime pie (her russipee calls for lime wedges, but we can do better).

Don't forget Aunt Sandy's directions to thaw the frozen limeade in the freezer. Wink, wink.

Welcome to the party, Glowlights.

That's great news to hear about more people interested in the book club! Once everybody gets their copy of "The Recipe Box," post here and we can get started. I am a book club newbie, so I am not sure what we do. I did some Googling and found some sample questions for discussion, but they seemed too high-brow and ridiculous to apply to SLOP's novel. LOL!  Any ideas?