Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: We Built This Glee Club

Tara Ariano

Lea and Groffles singing one of my favorite songs and smiling cutely at each other was actually a nice scene. And props to Jesse for telling Rachel the truth – her mistake wasn’t leaving NYADA, it was leaving Funny Girl. Enjoy the next 3-4 (?) years of missed professional opportunities because you're stuck in class, Rachel. 

• Love 10

Stupid trophies causing stupid allergies. Gosh darn it all. That ending scene with all the flashbacks to winning trophies-that got to me.

I loved all the musical performances, too. New Directions was still my favorite. I had to laugh at Vocal Adrenaline's over the top performance. That had Sue Sylvester stamped all over it.

I think I'm going to miss this show.

And good for Rachel going back to school.

• Love 4

I liked it too. I would have rather cut some of Vocal Adrenaline instead of shortening the St. Berry duet. Yea for Rachel/Jesse. They really do have a nice chemistry together. How is Sue not in jail? Poisoning a school, Arson?!?

I got a little teary-eyed at the trophies.

• Love 1

Jesse was annoying lecturey in that first scene although I appreciate that someone pointed out that Rachel's mistake in leaving FG.  Still good on Rachel for telling both Sam & Jesse she needs to make this decision on her own and good on Jesse for graciously acceptiong her decision.  Speaking of Sam did he and Rachel break up?  I mean I know they were only screw buddies (which still begs the question on why did Mercedes have to break out her pom-poms and why was Finn replaced with Sam on Rachel's high school wall) but I think Glee should have given them a "thanks for all the sex and good luck" scene.  At least before she starts macking on other guys.

Then we get to Kurt.  He thinks way too much of himself and Rachel as teachers.  Per their own admission, they barely know those kids.  Given that I hardly think they are the huge inspirations Kurt thinks they are.  Beyond that It seems like once Will was back in the picture they took a step way back. Speaking of which when did Will become a paid coach again?  Much like Sam/Rachel ending their whatever that isn't a detail I should have to fill in 

All of that said  Rachel's pep talk was really touching.  I only wish we had seen that story - where coaching ND helped Rachel get her groove back to the point where she had steeled her spine for another run at Broadway via hitting the pavement for auditions and/or going back to school.  That actually sounds like a story I could root for.  

The Sue stuff once again brought the episode to a screeching halt. So tired of this endless loop with her. 

Other thoughts

• The guys who play Roderick and Spencer still can't act but I liked that the characters wanted to learn the choreography and realized they needed Kitty's tough love rather than Will's gentle encouragment to get them there.  It was nice that they appreciated her drive
  • I liked VA's "We Built this City"/"Oh Mickey"  It wasn't up to "Bohemian Rhapsody" standard but it was still pretty good. 
  • The only performance I liked from ND was "Come Sail Away."  Chandelier was a hot mess.  I mean I get the point of Spencer riding the chandelier but why use Myron  in that freaky bodysuit (I know it wast part of the video but still it had no place in the compeition).
  • Of course Blaine got into NYU after failing out of NYADA.  As I have said before this show has become bad wish fulfillment fanfic

The one funny highlight of the episode was the continuity of competitions having unqualified judges who really don't give a hoot in hell.  I know Glee has gone to that well many a time before but it still cracks me up. 

I'll have to admit those flashbacks to the trophies they won choked me up especially anytime they we saw Finn.  Well up until they panned to Sue like she cared.  They need to stop trying to humanize her

Edited by camussie

Surprisingly, I liked this one. ND was fun, Jesse was awesome, and Samchel is deader than Dalton. And Jon and Lea still have amazing chemistry.

Also the flashbacks have generally been annoying this season, but the one to all the previous wins got to me. Especially the Finn one.

I just...I wish we'd actually SEEN Rachel coaching ND more, so I could believe this crap about her making a difference in their lives, when just two episodes ago they were making jokes about how she doesn't know anything about them. Kind of undercut whatever impact I should've been feeling.

The Sue stuff was also pretty dumb, but I think I just watched for the Jesse/Rachel and the numbers, so I got a little more than expected.

• Love 1

Not the total trainwreak that I was expecting, but Gods... the multiple Sue/Will confrontations are really tiring and just drag everything down. Enough already! It's been six seasons! Resolve that shit already.

I'll argue until the end of time that Rachel deserved neither NYADA nor a new Broadway role at this point, given that she barely lifted a finger on her own to get them. Especially the Broadway part. Mercedes pulled strings to get her the audition and Jesse pulled strings to get her the role. And Rachel still just doesn't get it. She chalks up the past year as being "bad" and still doesn't grasp why it was a bad one.

It's always odd to see Sam trying to be the voice of reason (and a fairly well-considered argument). But Kurt's talk with Rachel was a lot more meaningful. I appreciated that he was leaving the choice entirely up to her (and sure that she would do fine regardless what she chose), but he also was reminding her about her own choices in all this and that she was in such a rush to go from one success to another that she never gave herself a chance to actually enjoy any to them. And that she should enjoy the process of learning and growing as a performer. So in the end I think she made the right choice, forgoing the prospect of immediate success in favor of growing and maturing as a performer so that when she does return to Broadway, she'll be the best performer possible. Maybe this time she'll actually be receptive to learning instead of trying to always prove that she was the best/right all the time. And she'll appreciate the chances that she gets.

It would be nice if Schu remembered that there were two directors for ND when handing out praise. Yes, Rachel got the ball rolling, but he seemed to completely disregard Kurt's contributions (as well as forgetting he was even there). And with the way he and Rachel were hanging all over one another, I'd be suspicious if I were Emma.

Competitions are a total bore, with all the artificially escalated stakes and unnecessary drama (as well as the usual telegraphed results). But for the first time in ages, I'd actually argue that ND rightfully won. Especially for Take Me To Church. Have to say that I did enjoy Mason's rendition of Come Sail Away. And glad that the girls didn't get shoved into the background of that sausage festival. Jane was totally smoking.

Nice to see a wrapping up of McKinely, with the legacy of the original ND crew linked with the new group. Have to admit that I got a bit misty eyed at the stroll down memory lane. And nice to see Cory there with how his presence seemed to have been erased for most of the season.

RIP Samchel... no one will mourn you.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 4

Sue is an awful person.  I don't actually think it was all a masterplan to let New Directions win, I think she is that much of a pathological liar who can't stand to lose.

Thanks Kurt for at least remembering who Rachel was last year but no one else on this show did. The advice that was given this week wasn't that bad, actually. I'm kind of impressed with it, people just give their reasons and allowed that to sink in for her.

I actually agreed with Jesse that her mistake wasn't dropping out of school it was dropping out of Funny Girl. I certainly don't think it's bad for Rachel to go back to school, but I don't think it would have been awful of her to take the part, as long as she was really going to commit to it and not just bail at the next opportunity.  She doesn't need to go to school to make a commitment (in theory anyway).

But, are she and Sam not dating anymore?

• Love 3
the multiple Sue/Will confrontations are really tiring and just drag everything down

On-screen I agree...but I like that the two characters are going to continually butt heads for years and years off-screen. That's the relationship..there is no resolution.  

Nearly two years later and I still get sad at seeing Cory. 

• Love 2
And Rachel still just doesn't get it. She chalks up the past year as being "bad" and still doesn't grasp why it was a bad one.

It's always odd to see Sam trying to be the voice of reason (and a fairly well-considered argument). But Kurt's talk with Rachel was a lot more meaningful. I appreciated that he was leaving the choice entirely up to her (and sure that she would do fine regardless what she chose), but he also was reminding her about her own choices in all this and that she was in such a rush to go from one success to another that she never gave herself a chance to actually enjoy any to them. And that she should enjoy the process of learning and growing as a performer. So in the end I think she made the right choice, forgoing the prospect of immediate success in favor of growing and maturing as a performer so that when she does return to Broadway, she'll be the best performer possible. Maybe this time she'll actually be receptive to learning instead of trying to always prove that she was the best/right all the time. And she'll appreciate the chances that she gets.

Totally agree with all of this although it is my hope that her choice of going back to school is an admission that her choices in the past year weren't good so she chose school in order to grow and learn so the next time she takes on Broadway she has the maturity and commitment to make a career of it.  

I actually agreed with Jesse that her mistake wasn't dropping out of school it was dropping out of Funny Girl.

I think it was both.  At least the way she dropped out of NYADA was a mistake.  

Nearly two years later and I still get sad at seeing Cory.

Me too. Finn always seemed to get so much joy out of the group performing and doing well.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

See, I really don't care if Rachel chose NYADA or BW, as long as she'll actually commit to it. I don't think we were given a reason, but I'm going to pretend we have so I can just enjoy.

I'm pretty sure the "bad year" thing was just in reference to Finn. I know more generous fans were speculating that Rachel was ruining her life because of grief, and it seems like Glee is pulling that out now? If I'd gotten this sooner, I might've felt some sympathy while she made dumb decisions.

• Love 5

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I rather wish they would have hammered home Finn's loss.  When Rachel talked about having a bad year, I thought she was going to say something along the lines of realizing that she was unable to find anything truly satisfying or safe after losing Finn.  Oh well.  

Blaine getting into NYU was out of the blue, although I don't miss not seeing that little journey, but not too impossible.   He has new recommendations now, and the makings of a hell of a cover letter.  Plus, possibly the money to pay full ride.  

Edited by ancslove

Jessie and the trophy flashbacks just highlight how the glory days are long gone. I like the new Newbies but they just don't feel like the (dysfunctional) family the oldies were. 

I did like Kitty whispering "I love waffles." 

Oh, and the bird school. I always like the random third school.

• Love 3

Better than the last two even though they spent to much time on the competition.  The performance of Chandelier and the gimmicks would have had me voting no tbh.

Jesse and Rachel are such a better choice and Lea and Jon I hope find ways to perform with each other until they are 90.  As far as Sam not to worried they have been referring to him as her friend  for  3 episodes now.  

Anyway ok even though they are just  taking leaps and bound with the storyline.

Can't believe I am saying this but last week and this week could have cut out some Sue and explain Blaine's plans at least

Edited by tom87
I'm pretty sure the "bad year" thing was just in reference to Finn. I know more generous fans were speculating that Rachel was ruining her life because of grief, and it seems like Glee is pulling that out now? If I'd gotten this sooner, I might've felt some sympathy while she made dumb decisions.

Yeah her making some truly brain dead decisions after that loss would have made that arc more understandable but they didn't go that route so for them to try and pull it out now seems way too convenient.  

See, I really don't care if Rachel chose NYADA or BW, as long as she'll actually commit to it. I don't think we were given a reason, but I'm going to pretend we have so I can just enjoy.

My take was that the joy of seeing those kids perform and win took her back to her roots and because of that she realized that school is the route she needs to take for now.  I just wish they had fleshed that out over the season versus relying on some joyous facial expression while watching ND's sectional performance.  

Edited by camussie

Cut the Samchel plot that went nowhere, shorten Hurt Locker to one episode, move Child Star to earlier in the season, and Glee could have built a decent story arc of Rachel learning from her new students and getting her life back together.  

• Love 5

I agree, my reaction to Rachel kissing Jesse was, 'Wait, isn't she still dating Sam?  WTF?'  So... what was the point of Sam/Rachel, exactly?  It does make me wonder if maybe the change to Jesse was a late one, purely because they got Jonathon Groff unexpectedly. 

I sort of assumed that the only reason we were revisiting the tedious NYADA v. Broadway was so that Rachel could choose 'correctly' this time - but the entire set up was so contrived that I did not/do not care one iota which she chose, or why.  Though I was STUNNED (and pleased) that Rachel chose, and was not guided into it by one of her white male advisors. 

Random question:  Why on earth was it okay for Spencer to be onstage on crutches for the last number, but he was going to need a shot to perform otherwise?  I will confess I didn't pay attention, but seems like if crutches were okay for some, it would be okay for all?

Finally - I guess they had to do it for completeness* - and I did like the flashbacks - but I could have skipped the trophy scene where New Directions beat the Troubletones, since that was a bittersweet moment for me because I loved the Troubletones.  (*HA like Glee gives a rat's ass about continuity)  

Sam, Jesse and Kurt were more or less mouthpieces for Rachel's alternatives, and  very reminiscent of what various people have been saying here pro and con the options over the last couple of weeks. And still, even after all this, Rachel doesn't admit she made a mistake with leaving FG for TV stardom, so that the mouthpiece character has to say that for her. I'd preferred if she did this reflection herself, but that ship has now sailed forever. At least the mouthpiece characters stated their cases, but Rachel made her own choice. 

It was quite sudden that after Sectionals Jesse agreed with Rachel all too easily, but I guess it was because Rachel's decision this time is to be framed as the right one. 

It was among the better written episodes for the season, even with the endless Sue-Will vendetta and ND vs VA. At least no Sue-saw or endless Bar-Mitzvah (though again what was the purpose of adding Myron?)

The last choir room scene with the trophies was sweet and nostalgic. 

I  bet the dog trainer judge and the standard poodle were an homage to Jane Lynch's character in Best in Show.

Edited by fakeempress

I know there's no use in complaining at this point, but seriously, I.DON'T.CARE.ABOUT.THE.NEWBIES. The time they spent on Spencer and Roderick could have been spent on Blaine, Kurt, and hell even Sam. They could have brought Mercedes and Artie in since those two actors are under contract.

I can understand there not being focus on the oldies who are guest stars (because they may not be able to get them for an episode), but for the people they do have under contract, why are they not focusing on them? Right now at this point Rachel is the only one who is getting any sort of real story with the rest getting throwaway lines like Kurt going back to Nyada and Blaine getting into NYU (did we even know he applied before this episode?!). And I don't even care abut the other characters besides Rachel that much so that should tell you something.

Anyway, Lea + Jon = love. Always. Only thing in this episode worth watching and it appears Jesse has matured somewhat, but hasn't lost too much of his bite. I groaned that he joined in on the male lecturing of Rachel but he wasn't too preachy thankfully, and he spoke the truth about the mistake being leaving Funny Girl too early.

Edited by Danielle87

Am I a mean person for kind of enjoying Samchel's fans pain ? I usually don't smile at other fans pain, even when I don't like the couple ( Klaine/Brittana) I still wish their fans the best.

But Samchel's fans were so arrogantly smug about this pairing and insulting towards Mercedes that I love the way RIB treated this pairing in the end.

It's petty but I don't care.

• Love 9

Rachel's mistakes went far beyond just leaving Funny Girl (though that ended up being the fatal blow). It was the fact that she was in such a fucking rush at every stage of her career that she could barely acknowledge one accomplishment before rushing to the next one. Against all odds she got into NYADA. Great for her, but already in her freshman year she was looking to audition for parts and didn't seem overly interested in actually learning (more about having a place to showcase herself). Then she got Funny Girl. So NYADA had to go. But right after making a successful debut with Funny Girl, she was looking to translating this success into a new, bigger goal. She showed no diligence or commitment to anything she set herself up for. It was all about one thing being nothing more than a stepping stone for the next goal.

By going back to NYADA instead of right to Broadway again (and seriously... Rachel Berry in a hip hop musical?) hints that she's taking things more seriously now. That it's not going to be about just finding an audience to applaud her and maybe about enjoying performing again just because she loves to do it.

I think they tried Sam and Rachel and it wasn't working because they have the chemistry of dead fish, and then they got Groff and who can really deny that. I still get chills when I listen to Hello, which is my favorite song ever done on this show next to Don't Stop Believing. Which I will be totally sad if they don't do next week.

Edited by Watt
  • Love 1

Damn, they won.

When Rachel started her song then Jessie St. James showed up and joined in, I got a huge smile b/c Groff and Michele have soooo much chemistry together.

Finally, how many episodes did it take before someone finally told Rachel the reason she is back in Lima was b/c she gave up on her dream for that damn sitcom.  Maybe other characters have mentioned it and I forgot, but it really seems like Jessie was the one who was able to get through to Rachel that it was her giving up Funny Girl way too early for her failure.

I felt like this sectionals was a lot like the one from season 3 where ND only won b/c they just kept singing and singing and singing and singing.  I thought VA did the better job of singing and dancing.

Speaking of that I hated that trophy flashback where we saw the ND beat the Troubletones, b/c let's face it the Troubletones under the direction of Shelby were head and shoulders above ND that year at sectionals.  That was an unjust win that year.

I hated all of the ND versions of their songs, but at least Madison was featured quite a bit.  Everytime I hear "Come Sail Away" I think of the much, much superior high school show Freaks & Geeks.  Same thing w/ Mickey and Bring it On as was mentioned upthread.

Clint, aka Max George, from VA was totally rocking that silver shirt....sooooo tight and soooooo muscular.

Was that Ryan Murphy who was going to give the shot to Spencer?  It looked just like him. 

Kurt looked ridiculous in that black shawl.

Spencer's outfit, when he was in the hallway w/ Roderick, looked like something that Kurt would have picked out for him.

Alistair seemed to be a horrible background dancer during sectionals.

I was glad they brought back the black woman judge who keeps getting roped into this as a last minute thing.

I was also glad we finally got to see Sue Sylvester enacting the human cannon she tried w/ Brittany years ago.

Random question:  Why on earth was it okay for Spencer to be onstage on crutches for the last number, but he was going to need a shot to perform otherwise?  I will confess I didn't pay attention, but seems like if crutches were okay for some, it would be okay for all?

It should have been a non-issue at all considering the original ND had a kid in a wheelchair participate in all the choreography somewhat.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

her mistake wasn’t leaving NYADA, it was leaving Funny Girl.

I would say her mistake was the way she left NYADA. There was a much better, more mature way she could have left without burning any bridges and getting a reputation as unteachable. Leaving Funny Girl was borderline criminal and I'm still trying to figure out why she isn't in debt up to ears from being sued for breaking her contract. 

Am I a mean person for kind of enjoying Samchel's fans pain ? I usually don't smile at other fans pain, even when I don't like the couple ( Klaine/Brittana) I still wish their fans the best.

But Samchel's fans were so arrogantly smug about this pairing and insulting towards Mercedes that I love the way RIB treated this pairing in the end.

It's petty but I don't care.

Welp I guess I'll ride the petty bus with you.

Edited by spiritof76
  • Love 1

Kurt should definitely get more credit, but I've actually liked all of the Will/Rachel interactions this season. Matt and Lea play off each other very well.Different strokes I guess.

• Love 8

I am not sure what is different strokes because I didn't see anyone say they didn't like the Will/Rachel interactions.  just that they didn't like Will not giving any credit to Kurt in his speech to the glee club.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I guess it's official--there will never be one Vocal Adrenaline performance I will ever enjoy. I just never like them. And tonight was no different. I much prefer New Directions. Albeit condensed, I really did like this new group. I think the animosity between ND and Warblers could've been a neat storyline over a course of a season (maybe not the very last season, but oh well). If only they existed in season 4. 

Honestly, I can't recall a season where there was such an emphasis on Sue. She is all over the place. Gawd, I can't stand her. 

I am not sure what is different strokes because I didn't see anyone say they didn't like the Will/Rachel interactions. just that they didn't like Will not giving any credit to Kurt in his speech to the glee club.

One person basically did,which is fine. Different opinions make the world go round.

Of course Blaine got into NYU after failing out of NYADA. As I have said before this show has become bad wish fulfillment fanfic

That doesn't seem that hard to buy in my opinion. Plenty of people flunk out of colleges, only to go back years later and get their degrees. I actually find it pleasantly surprising that they didn't just say he got back into NYADA like Rachel did, even though he flunked out and instead he's going to another school. Plus shockingly, for this show and it's shitty consistency, I do remember Blaine at one point last season, mentioning wanting to apply to Colombia and NYU as safety schools in case he didn't get into NYADA. So you can even rationalize that he'd already gotten accepted before and chose NYADA.

I mean it's not like he'd even have to tell them he flunked out of NYADA - he could just use the same high school credentials that were good enough to get him into NYADA in the first place and use his coaching The Warblers as professional experience he got after high school. Seriously, again, in a world where Rachel gets back into NYADA and gets offered a role on Broadway after walking away from both, I don't see Blaine's going to NYU as some unbelievable wish fulfillment. Hell we still have Brittany at MIT (or did that change, I haven't watched the episodes this season). Frankly I think any line about the characters being in college makes more sense than many of the crazy things the writers have asked viewers to buy.

Kurt looked ridiculous in that black shawl.

I haven't watched the show all season and I just happened to be flipping through the channels when I caught a glimpse of him and had to pause to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

For me it was the NYU of him going back to college.  It is a very competitive school so it makes no sense to me that a dude who flunked out of college just 4 months ago got into NYU.  I wish they said he got into CUNY or something like that.  

I think it was both.  At least the way she dropped out of NYADA was a mistake. 

Well, yes, the way she dropped out wasn't great.  It would have made more sense for her to ask to take a semester off or something.

Rachel's mistakes went far beyond just leaving Funny Girl (though that ended up being the fatal blow). It was the fact that she was in such a fucking rush at every stage of her career that she could barely acknowledge one accomplishment before rushing to the next one.

But didn't she audition for Funny Girl on a whim initially? So, I don't think it's terrible that she got this dream oppurtunity and decided that was worth leaving school.  But the fact that she then didn't even stick with that was the problem.  College isn't necessary for learning to be able to commit to a job, that was just Rachel's personality showing through.

Leaving Funny Girl was borderline criminal and I'm still trying to figure out why she isn't in debt up to ears from being sued for breaking her contract.

That makes no sense to me either.

• Love 1

I laughed at Rachel referring to Sam as "a really good friend" when he was trying to push her into going back to school. Nail in the Samchel coffin, right there... well, that and her kissing Jesse, of course. Sam and Rachel's little "here are successful performers who finished school first" "oh yeah well here are successful performers who dropped out" debate also made me chuckle because it reminded me of the same debate here on the forums.

Sue is ridiculous, and not in a fun way. Poisoning the entire school is even worse than slapping a student.

• Love 1
For me it was the NYU of him going back to college.  It is a very competitive school so it makes no sense to me that a dude who flunked out of college just 4 months ago got into NYU.

YMMV, I guess but like I said I just don't find it that hard to buy. Yes he flunked out of school but it was supposedly because he got dumped by his fiance and less about him not being talented or good enough. He was good enough to get accepted to the so called most prestigious performing arts school in the country (yeah I still roll my eyes about that fictional nonsense but hey, go with it) so it's not so hard to believe that now with his confidence back, happy again, still with the same credentials he had that got him into NYADA, plus experience coaching The Warblers, that he could get into NYU. And okay, yes the timeline is really wonky, I'll give you that, but that's Glee for you. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I laughed at Rachel referring to Sam as "a really good friend" when he was trying to push her into going back to school. Nail in the Samchel coffin, right there... well, that and her kissing Jesse, of course. Sam and Rachel's little "here are successful performers who finished school first" "oh yeah well here are successful performers who dropped out" debate also made me chuckle because it reminded me of the same debate here on the forums.

Sue is ridiculous, and not in a fun way. Poisoning the entire school is even worse than slapping a student.

Setting a fellow teacher's care on fire isn't exactly good either. LOL

I would say her mistake was the way she left NYADA. There was a much better, more mature way she could have left without burning any bridges and getting a reputation as unteachable. Leaving Funny Girl was borderline criminal and I'm still trying to figure out why she isn't in debt up to ears from being sued for breaking her contract. 

Welp I guess I'll ride the petty bus with you.

Move over and make some room for me too!

But didn't she audition for Funny Girl on a whim initially? So, I don't think it's terrible that she got this dream oppurtunity and decided that was worth leaving school.  But the fact that she then didn't even stick with that was the problem.  College isn't necessary for learning to be able to commit to a job, that was just Rachel's personality showing through.

Rachel also auditioned for the Glass Menagerie (in her first semester at NYADA). That was that wonderful moment when she was so full of herself that she was telling Cassandra July how to "get back on the horse". It was something that didn't seem very important when it happened, but in retrospect represents a pattern that Rachel was so busy looking ahead that she couldn't be bothered to appreciate what she had in her hands.

Honestly, whether Rachel chose NYADA or Broadway isn't all that important to me, but I want to see her actually commit to something and stick to it and not be distracted by someone waving a shiny new prize in front of her. Her biggest mistake with Funny Girl was grabbing that tv part because she was worried that she wasn't going to be getting the kind of future offers she'd been hoping for, so even though it was being telegraphed that the tv show was a bad idea, she still went along with it. Now she's showing more consideration, turning down one project in favor on focusing on what she needs here and now (a chance to grow and mature a bit, as well as repair her professional reputation) and not go rushing into the first offer that comes along out of fear that it might be the last offer she gets.

• Love 1

For me it was the NYU of him going back to college.  It is a very competitive school so it makes no sense to me that a dude who flunked out of college just 4 months ago got into NYU.  I wish they said he got into CUNY or something like that.  

NYU is a competitive school, that also happened to be Blaine's safety school in his first round of applications, so not getting accepted was never a fear for Blaine.  If he does admit that he attended and flunked Nyada, he has the story that colleges love.  "I struggled because of unforeseen personal circumstances, but since then I've succeeded at XYZ (here are my glowing references), and I've learned a lot about myself."  Blaine is a lot better at playing the game than Rachel.  And he is most likely well-off enough to afford most, if not all, of NYU's out-of-state tuition.   

I can't give much thought over the whole NYADA vs. Broadway Show storyline, just because I can't even fathom the idea that a school would block a student from taking on such an endeavour. Is that what happens in real life? Given how so few people end being working actors, why prevent a person from such an opportunity? 

• Love 2

Did Sam and Rachel break up off screen? Were they ever even officially together? They haven't had even a hint of romantic interaction in the last couple of episode and this week Rachel's calling him a friend and kissing another guy, so guess that flamed out fast. It's actually kind of hilarious that it was just dropped after all that build up. Only on Glee. 

There were some stupid moments in the episode but it wasn't too bad. Although my expectations are staggeringly low so that's not saying much. I did like most of the music though. And Lea and Groff together on screen singing and being adorable makes everything better. 

Hate that Rachel chose NYADA over Broadway. I don't care what her noble white male guides said, she should know opportunities to work professionally don't come around all that often and her best bet would be to seize whatever chances she gets and work her ass off. Will never understand the logic in studying to hopefully one day become a performer instead of actually performing professionally if the opportunity presents itself. But you know, arts education or whatever. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I rather wish they would have hammered home Finn's loss.  When Rachel talked about having a bad year, I thought she was going to say something along the lines of realizing that she was unable to find anything truly satisfying or safe after losing Finn.  Oh well.  

That was always my headcanon for why Rachel made the poor choices she did. The show never hinted at it because well, the show is horribly written, but it makes total sense to me. I never thought it was that she simply got bored with Broadway. That's not who she is. I think she was disillusioned with it all after Finn died. She had always imagined him being besides her when she got there but he couldn't be there to share in her success and I think that took all the joy out of it for her. 

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 1

I can't give much thought over the whole NYADA vs. Broadway Show storyline, just because I can't even fathom the idea that a school would block a student from taking on such an endeavour. Is that what happens in real life? Given how so few people end being working actors, why prevent a person from such an opportunity?

NYU does it. That's why Matt Morrison dropped out.

NYADA didn't block Rachel from that opportunity.  In fact one of the appeals of NYADA is that they worked with students who got professional gigs and in the episode where Rachel left it was clear they had made concessions for her as well.  The problem is, even with those concessions Rachel didn't keep up her end of the bargain and when that was pointed out to her she got defensive and stormed out.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 4

Nope but they still have to keep up if they're doing both. Also Ian Brennan should know that too since he grew up with Jennifer Morrison who graduated college in three years while doing both television and film. Obviously that's not a grueling as broadway but actors take semesters off all the time and go back. Edited by Stuffy

Did Sam and Rachel break up off screen? Were they ever even officially together? They haven't had even a hint of romantic interaction in the last couple of episode and this week Rachel's calling him a friend and kissing another guy, so guess that flamed out fast. It's actually kind of hilarious that it was just dropped after all that build up. Only on Glee. 

There were some stupid moments in the episode but it wasn't too bad. Although my expectations are staggeringly low so that's not saying much. I did like most of the music though. And Lea and Groff together on screen singing and being adorable makes everything better. 

Hate that Rachel chose NYADA over Broadway. I don't care what her noble white male guides said, she should know opportunities to work professionally don't come around all that often and her best bet would be to seize whatever chances she gets and work her ass off. Will never understand the logic in studying to hopefully one day become a performer instead of actually performing professionally if the opportunity presents itself. But you know, arts education or whatever. 

That was always my headcanon for why Rachel made the poor choices she did. The show never hinted at it because well, the show is horribly written, but it makes total sense to me. I never thought it was that she simply got bored with Broadway. That's not who she is. I think she was disillusioned with it all after Finn died. She had always imagined him being besides her when she got there but he couldn't be there to share in her success and I think that took all the joy out of it for her. 

I think if Finn's death had not been caused by Cory's, we would have seen Glee do more with the destructive, devastating effects of loss and grief, rather than just the inspiring tributes.  But Glee shied away from that route, although it would have been narrative gold, and yet Rachel spiraled out of control anyway.  

Nope. Also Ian Brennan should know that too since he grew up with Jennifer Morrison who graduated college in three years while doing both television and film. Obviously that's not a grueling as broadway but actors take semesters off all the time and go back.

Some colleges actually DO forbid students from doing shows while in school, though.

Loved Jesse being back and the song with Rachel. Also they couldn't act the joy on Lea and Groff's face's when they were singing together and they just lit up. They were so happy to work together again. 

The clips with the trophies, especially seeing Finn. *tear*

I don't understand why it has to be 1 or the other for Rachel, can't she just do a part time schedule at NYADA and still work on the show? People work and attend school at the same time. 

Sam and Rachel are just friends now and she's kissing Jesse? Ok, I'll take it. 

Good episode.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

Some colleges actually DO forbid students from doing shows while in school, though.

Are they performing art schools? Just wondering. I can think of at least three ivy league schools that let actresses have time off.

Are they performing art schools? Just wondering. I can think of at least three ivy league schools that let actresses have time off.

NYU Tisch is like that with Broadway shows, but I don't know about other professional gigs.