Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ville

Ten years of Smallville means there is still a lot to say.  Post your rants or raves about Clark Kent, his friends, family, and foes and the journey all of them made over the course of a decade.    

• Love 1

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show -- a social thread and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new threads for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

Ok, so I guess this is the place to tell our Smallville war stories rather than specifically talk about the show. In some ways it should be crazy to need to still talk about a show that has now been off the air for a few years and yet I feel like it has pretty much taken this long for me to be able to gain enough perspective about Smallville to speak about it without setting off an embolism in my brain. ;)

• Love 1

Oh, but it's so true though. I still remember not having the WB at home and needing my friend to record it on VCR(!) so that I could watch episodes. (Side note: I've watched Hothead more times than should be possible for this reason.)

Glad to have a place for venting and eye-crossing over ridiculous plot elements.

I watched Smallville pre my current love affair with my DVR but back then even if I watched it live, I recorded it on the VCR so I wouldn't miss anything and so I could rewind the good parts. In later years, it was so I could fast forward through the bad parts. Season ten had some really short episodes ;)

• Love 1

I loved Smallville. I wish there was another good comic based live action show. S.H.E.I.L.D has been such a let down for me.

The two main things I remember about Smallville, are how Clark would barge into Lex's office and accuse him of something. And Lana's quest to uncover the "secrets and lies".

Such a frustrating but fun show.

I wish there was another good comic based live action show. S.H.E.I.L.D has been such a let down for me.

Have you checked out Arrow? I was really hesitant but I think it's a really good show. The first season is on Netfilx and it's really fun.

Have you checked out Arrow? I was really hesitant but I think it's a really good show. The first season is on Netfilx and it's really fun.

I've heard good things about Arrow, but idk. I loved the ups and downs of Smallville, but after being disappointed with how Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries developed, I'm wary of CW shows. Mind you, I have said S.H.E.I.L.D is everything I expect from a CW show, so maybe Arrow will be nice surprise.

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 1

I feel like Smallville broke something in me (I exaggerate only a little) when it comes to being able to enjoy certain types of shows but I have been pleasantly surprised with Arrow so far.  The first few episodes were kind of slow but the show seems sensitive to what does and doesn't work and makes adjustments.  Even bringing in actors that were not intended to be regulars.

Not to say the show is perfect but I'm feeling more hopeful that the show isn't going to let cannon in the comics overrule what is working (or not working) on the show. 

Crosses fingers. 

• Love 1

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Smallville did break me. It did. I tried to watch Arrow, but Godalmighty, the wooden acting by Steve Arnell, makes Tom Welling's acting Oscar worthy in comparison. His Arrow just came off as a Batman wannabe, and folks, I've got my Bats in John Reese on Person Of Interest--without the cape and cowl. And Bale has ruined me for anyone else playing that role, just as Kevin Conroy has ruined me for anyone else voicing Bats.

Like I posted in the survivor thread? I stuck through the whole 10 seasons because of Tom's gorgeousness. And the thought that it just had to get better, right? Riiight? WRONG!

And you can't pay me enough to even give the new Flash show a chance because that Flash? his costume? Looks like some deformed alien.

(edited)

I've been contemplating trying Flash. CW is such a crack network. Their shows are inevitably poor, but the premise is something that I often find interesting.

Smallville did break me, because I'm no longer such a staunch completist. I abandoned Supernatural after season 5, and I'm forever grateful. I just can't hang in there and finish a show like I used to. I did actually enjoy the direction of SV once the new writers came onboard, but I was more of a Lex/Michael Rosenbaum fan. So once I got over the disappointment of Lex/Michael leaving, I could just watch the show without the added investment of having a favourite character. Though I always felt Lex would've done well with the new writers.

It can be difficult to watch a show when the character you like is being written poorly. This is why I also abandoned Vampire Diaries, because the treatment of Bonnie, and its effect on the Bonnie/Elena/Caroline friendship, was annoying.

Edited by greenbean

Regarding the show "breaking something" in you/us--I've noticed lately that, now that the show has been finished for several years, I'm feeling the yen to talk and read about it again, but that when I skim posts here and back at TWOP, I feel vaguely nauseated at the notion.  True, I realize that I have had some personal turmoil over the past decade with which the SV real-time viewing experience seems to have unfortunately become mixed up.  But just reading again about what a disappointment Clark was, and how awful Lana and her characterization were--and all the stuff that was dropped, retconned, or made no sense...now that it's over and will never change or get better, and (in light of the recent Miller/Gough interview) no one on the "creative team" has ever really explained WHY it was so bad or been accountable for it--and some of them genuinely seem to think it was a good show! or are faking it really well--well, I hope I'm strong enough to master that nausea, because I always did enjoy the discussions.

• Love 2

Hey acampbell!!!!

I do recall you were supposed to post something or other, after the show ended, but you never did! (I am ScorpiosRule from TWOP).

Or were we supposed to do a rewatch together? I can't recall.

It's odd really, as much as I came to detest this show and so disappointed in Clark as a character...I still love the first season, because, well the charm and earnestness of Clark, that Tom Welling portrayed so well! Sigh...

And the yumminess of both Tom and Michael and well...I can fast forward the Lanasuckitude.

• Love 1
(edited)

People use to criticise Tom's acting, but when I did a rewatch, he was very good in the early seasons. I guess because he really captured the innocence of small town Clark. He was also good in the latter seasons, when he was called on to be more villainous. It was during the middle when the show became very repetitive, that things suffered. I also didn't mind Lana.

Edited by greenbean
(edited)

Okay, I've created several topics for us to converse--I blame it all on acampbell!

Someone please come up with titles for the others! I'm all thought out!

Hey, isn't Omar here? How about we get HIM to do some? yeah? yeah?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

So this is almost completely random but I had some boring, practically elevator music channel playing in the background when a song called "It's Christmas" popped on sung by none other than old Pa Kent himself, John Schneider, but his voice was all  wrong (too high) so I looked it up and apparently that one came out in 1981, but in my search I ran across this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dukes-of-hazzard-john-schneider-tom-wopat-christmas-album-20141022

Apparently the Duke Boys just put out a brand new Christmas album. (Home for Christmas) 

Edited by BkWurm1

The commercials are for Auto Trader.  They are pretty great.  They're looking for their next General Lee on line while trying to outrace the police cars (which have apparently gotten faster over the years, lol.)  

• Love 2

So Ksite was up to its old April Fools pranks this year.  (I oddly kinda miss the crack they'd post.)   Turns out this year they tweeted that Tom Welling was going to play Superman in the potential upcoming Supergirl spinoff and that Allison Mack was cast on Arrow to play Felicity Smoak's sister.  Cracktastic (since Felciity is an only child) but still a lot of fun to play with.  I got the impression some comic book news outlets haven't corrected their info about the TW info being a prank, lol.  

• Love 1

Y'all I don't normally urge fellow posters to WATCH THIS SHOW!!! But YOU have to watch Daredevil on Netflix!!!

I know our Mod Lisin is HOOKED, just as I am! Of course I watched all 13 episodes in a day and a half so now I feel bereft with no more episodes to watch.

Great cast and our hero ain't a BDA.

• Love 1

I just watched a documentary about a family farm, Troublesome Creek. It reminded me so much of Smallville. Probably because I know nothing about what Midwestern rural life is like, LOL. But it was really interesting. The thing that's always hard for me to wrap my head around when it comes to Smallville is how all this stuff is supposed to be happening in a little town where everyone has known each other forever and (ostensibly!) knows everything there is to know about each other.

The part of Troublesome Creek that most reminded me of Smallville was the farm auction. Everyone is standing around with poker faces on, they're basically impossible to read. The narrator said that all the farmers were so stone-faced because it's bad form to draw attention to yourself at an auction. But it made me wonder, why were they all trying to be so subtle and as un-flamboyant as possible? Idk, it just surprised me how secretive everyone was acting about what they were thinking and how they were feeling, and just how undemonstrative and reserved everyone acted in general. It made me think of Smallville's constant issues with Secrets and Lies and how everyone was always trying to (imo pointlessly) keep stuff from everyone else.

Anyway, this also reminded me so much of Smallville that it made me laugh:

The annual meteor shower in a small town brings more than expected -- gelatinous rain that makes the residents sick.

• Love 1

Michael Rosenbaum has acomedy coming which he is starring in and executive producing on TV Land, Impastor

I watched a preview episode and thought it was funny.  I'll be watching.  Him having hair does still freak me out though. 

• Love 1

I liked the pilot, too. It's definitely funny enough for me to keep watching. There was some slapstick that I cracked up laughing on, because slapstick pretty much always cracks me up. And I thought MR had great comedic timing, and landed a lot of jokes that were probably not that funny on paper (like when Buddy's on the bridge and says, "how the fuck would you know?!"). But the scene that sealed the deal for me was when Buddy yelled at the stoner kid. I thought it was funny, and it also made me like Buddy pretty well. (I wish that Aimee Garcia/Leanne were Buddy's love interest rather than Mircea Monroe/Alexa, though. Not anything against Micea Monroe, but I like Aimee Garcia and I thought Buddy/Leanne actually had a lot of chemistry!).

Him having hair does still freak me out though. 

He was looking great! Sorry to be shallow, but that man's body is banging. Tbh, I think he looks basically the same as he did on SV, though. The biggest difference to me isn't even the hair, it's the tan. Well, and that he's ten years older. But if anything imo he's looking better with age.

Ok, ok.... /shallow :P

• Love 1