Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E15: I Feel The Earth Move

• Start Topic

Where else are we supposed to talk about the promos and sneak peeks other than the place they are posted? On any board they usually aren't spoilers. I am guilty of posting before it aired but I thought it was allowed. Sorry for my part of adding to the confusion.

No need to be sorry! I'm probably the only one who feels that way. I guess I just don't understand why anybody would want to talk about an episode before it airs. People don't know what happened in the episode yet so what's there to talk about?

I preferred the way it was done at "that other place" where the episode thread was locked until the episode aired.

• Love 3
Technically I am not sure that Derek can be called a cheater.

Personally, I would. There wasn't a formal or legal separation. He just left. And he had both, a physical and emotional affair. 

So, as much as I love him, I would call him cheater. 

ETA: 

I preferred the way it was done at "that other place" where the episode thread was locked until the episode aired.

There wasn't another thread to discuss it before but now there is. In case you want to discuss the promo & SPs, which is what we talked about before the episode. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 1

Can I clarify - or ask for clarification - I didn't interpret Derek leaving November 14 equaling her not having SEEN him since November 14. I just interpreted that as the day he moved cross-country. This whole time he's been gone I haven't inferred that they haven't seen each other since that date, just that she's blown off the two weekends they've shown (hotel weekend and last night.) Maybe I'm naive, or maybe they flat out referenced it and I missed it, but I always assumed they saw each other at the holidays (off camera) and he's been to visit the kids. if not, then that's a huge character assassination for Derek.

• Love 1

And, no way would the man who described his wife and best friend cheating with each other on him saying "I'm gonna see that my wife is cheating on me with Mark, who happened to be my best friend. It's just so pedestrian, common and dirty, and cruel. Mostly just cruel" cheat on his wife, the mother of his children.

You know the saying - you lose them how you get them.  I don't believe Derek will be cheating, but he's done it before.  I'm sure he felt justified since Addison cheated first, but he cheated a second time when they were attempting a reconciliation. 

I had to laugh at the phone thing. I mean, you had the Chief of Surgery and the Chief of Neuro with a Trauma surgeon and the surgeon responsible for the residents. That's A-class level of incompetence. An earthquake and no patients? Suuuuure.

Oh, they had patients.   Jackson and Ben managed to do a breast implant consult.  Right in the midst of an earthquake fallout.

• Love 2

Can I clarify - or ask for clarification - I didn't interpret Derek leaving November 14 equaling her not having SEEN him since November 14. I just interpreted that as the day he moved cross-country. This whole time he's been gone I haven't inferred that they haven't seen each other since that date, just that she's blown off the two weekends they've shown (hotel weekend and last night.) Maybe I'm naive, or maybe they flat out referenced it and I missed it, but I always assumed they saw each other at the holidays (off camera) and he's been to visit the kids. if not, then that's a huge character assassination for Derek.

We have no idea, that's the problem. No idea because they've not made it clear.

Technically I am not sure that Derek can be called a cheater.

Personally, I would. There wasn't a formal or legal separation. He just left. And he had both, a physical and emotional affair.

So, as much as I love him, I would call him cheater.

Yup, he cheated, especially the prom sex. Funny thing is, after what Addison did (cheating with Mark specifically to hurt Derek, lying about the extent of her relationship with Mark, aborting Mark's baby without Derek ever knowing what had happened) I frankly didn't care a bit.

As Carol Hathaway on ER so eloquently said to Doug Ross, "I'd have to do the entire Bulls lineup on the damn admit desk before I even began to be equal with you!"

• Love 3

i haven't had time to collect my thoughts on this terrible episode (worst earthquake ever).  But I was wondering the same thing myself....i believe they were trying to infer that Meredith and Derek HAVE seen each other since then.  I don't remember the exact quote but she said something along the lines of "sometimes he cancels and I say ok, sometimes I cancel...".  It made it seem like they do in fact make frequent trips back and forth.  OR it could have been they have made plans to see each other but neither has followed through?  I'm honestly not really sure.  

• Love 1

Well, I liked this one again. 

I find the show so much better than on its "burning down the house" phase -that made me stop watching because of the destroying of characters, relationships, and pretty much everything I loved. When I was seething at the end of an episode. To me, nothing will ever compare.

I don't think that Derek is cheating. But Meredith is unfortunately back to bitchy. Where is the non-judgemental Mere whom I loved so much? What she said to Alex would have been OK  -gloves off, always, between the Fab Five - if it hadn't been in front of Jo. Big no. And yes, I hope that Jo is allowed to get her own voice back about the way Meredith is treating her.

Very often, when male characters want/love kids, they only love the idea of them imo. From the way he interacts with them, like Ruby in this one, and the numerous times that he babysat the Grey-Shepherd kids and all, I think that it isn't the case with Owen. I feel that,he's ready to assume the responsibilities that go with children. I didn't feel that he wanted to adopt Ruby or wanted her as his daughter, if only because he wished so much for her mother to survive. IIRC, he's always been portrayed as relating well to children (I remember scenes with Zola, for example) and it was just one more example. So I found his connection to Ruby endearing.

Owen and Amelia, yeah! I really think that they can be an interesting couple. I find Owen less overbearing than he was with Cristina and I like him better for it. And I like their chemistry.

I just love Jackson. Can I have some Jackson/Alex scenes again, please? I would love to see them deal together with a patient, with their personal styles.

• Love 4

Can I clarify - or ask for clarification - I didn't interpret Derek leaving November 14 equaling her not having SEEN him since November 14.

I didn't interpret it that way, either. When Alex asked Meredith why she wasn't in DC, she said that she canceled her trip to DC but it was okay. Sometimes Derek has to cancel, too. It seemed plain enough to me that they have seen each other. This show would be awfully dull if it showed us every thing that people do. The kids are plot props; I see nothing wrong with their lack of presence since this is a show that mostly takes place in a hospital. A mention here and there is good enough. Now let's get back to doctoring.

I liked this episode. I guess my expectations were low because I was afraid the earthquake twist would lend itself to a frantic episode about the hospital being overrun with the survivors of a bus crash, and Maggie having to save a life in an elevator MacGyver-style while dealing with her own claustrophobia. I liked the emergency call from that girl (and related to the panic of having to transfer a phone call because I've dropped more calls than I've transferred) and the doctors singing "Stayin' Alive", even April, who just happened to walk in. Yeah, it was totally stupid, but that's what this show does. Loved the scenes with Callie. She just kind of lights up the screen. She is my favorite character, I think,  the one I'd most enjoy having a beer with. I liked seeing April taking charge. The show's done a good job of showing her administrative skills. I like Richard, and how he's transitioned to senior individual contributor on the staff.

• Love 3

Oh dear god, this is a sinking ship. SO boring that I can't even think of something to snark over. I remember hearing Shonda once describe Bailey as the "heart of the hospital." I don't think that's true. Derek is. GA without Sandra Oh is bad. GA without Patrick Dempsey (or Ellen Pompeo) is not Grey's Anatomy at all.

• Love 5

So, question:  When Owen is on the phone and trying to figure out how to transfer it, he looks at the sign for Trauma Room 2 and it gets blurry. Why? Did anyone else think, "Oh, so now the storyline will be that Hunt has a brain tumor!"? (Which actually would be sort of ironic FOR ME since "I Feel the Earth Move" was the first song played at the funeral of my mom, who died of a brain tumor ... and actually, it's kind of a funny story ... well, the funeral music, not the brain tumor so much). 

Not sure how they're going to write themselves out of the "Derek is cheating" implication, but the first thing I thought was that there was no way in hell that A) Derek's cel phone doesn't have a special ringtone or something for Mer so he'd know it was her, and B) that he'd leave it where his secret squeeze could possibly know who it was and answer it when he wasn't around. He's too careful for that.

Also? Ethan!!!!!! Hope he's not a one-shot deal.

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap

I'm thinking Derek accidentally left the phone on a chair at the airport - he's coming to see Mere.  Or, in high drama fashion, Derek blacked out/was mugged and is in the hospital.  He hasn't come to and doesn't have his wallet.  Or, the underwear gremlins accidentally also took Derek's phone when they were raiding his pantie-drawer, er, drawers drawer.  Those little guys love to answer strangers' phones. 

• Love 3

Not sure how they're going to write themselves out of the "Derek is cheating" implication

How about the same lame way they got out of the "is Meredith cheating" tease from two weeks ago? Derek is in a hotel room somewhere having some "me" time, dancing in his underwear. He left his phone somewhere because it's not like anyone needs to reach him.. .

• Love 4

I don't think Meredith and Derek have seen each other. I think each has canceled when they planned to visit. Later in the episode she talked about how her world doesn't include him right now (paraphrasing) and that she is amazing without him.

Who would answer someone else's phone if they found it or stole it only to then hang up?  That doesn't make any sense to me.

Who would answer someone else's phone if they found it or stole it only to then hang up?  That doesn't make any sense to me.

If they stole it, in my country, they use it for extortion. While in the US this is highly unlikely, this is a common practice here in Narnia. If they found it, probably to know who it is. Or, since Derek has an iPhone it could've easily been mistaken and took his instead of hers. Those things are very alike, especially if the same model. 

From my view, since the woman seemed confused about the whole thing, either A) She's a ONS (which I doubt) or B) This woman thought she had her phone and took Derek's instead and thought she was getting a wrong call. Mistresses (when they know they are) tend to know the wife or husband's name of their lover. Since iPhones have caller ID, she would've known who Meredith is and either not answer or pretend to lie about it. Or maybe I've watched too many soaps.

What I don't know is if Meredith called his cell or his office or his home. If she asked if he was in the lab, it probably was cell or office. At this point, it could've been a stranger picking up the phone. 

This whole thing is so odd, is getting people riled up (well done ABC) and the worst part is that it will turn out to be the lamest, most disappointing answer ever. 

dancing in his underwear.

This ima gave me the vapors. That being said, underwear gremlins? Epic. 

Edited by AnitaM86

Stop playing with us, Shonda! First we get a quake, to tease that this will be a disaster episode. It could be, after all-- Seattle may not be as quake prone as some other places, but it is on the Ring of Fire. A quake could be a side effect of a local volcano going off. But no, it was just a tremor, what follows is a series of typical individual crises. But what's on the end? An unknown female voice answers Derek's phone! Bad Shonda, you get a newspaper swat to the nose! You think we'll freakout because we've already met all 200 of Derek's sisters. But come on-- this will turn out to be his cousin, or maybe his lab assistant or something like that. We're on to you, Shonda.

NO. BAD. TERRIBLE.

The kid on the phone was awful.  I'm not even convinced the kid we saw play Ruby was the same voice on the phone.  The whole thing sounded like they couldn't be bothered to pay an actor, just have a key grip raise her voice an octave.  

Also, am I going crazy, or did the show think they could use the whole Amelia/Owen phone operation as a sexual innuendo ? NO.  

I get that this show has been on long enough that it rises and falls, etc., but the Doc as really a kid-with-superpowers is some lame amateurish shit.

Try Again.

Well-summed up.

I can´t even watch the part where they all sing,I started for a few seconds and I feel embarrassed for the actors. They are all horrible. Although McKidd is a brilliant singer, this was unbearable.

And when Ruby runs into Owen´s arms (I had to roll my eyes), I know this is a soap opera of sorts but this was too much melodramatic, it´s really ridiculous. I almost think writers do this to Owen on purpose,give him a hope of a child,then take it all away in a second. I wonder when it becomes a boring thing in the writers´room and they drop it.

Yup, they used all of this for OA to get it on in the on-call room. They were like two horny rabbits. Good for the girl not to know what these two did afterwards.I hope she never finds out.

Can Ethan stay,please? His scenes with Maggie were a breath of fresh air.

The elderly lady who wanted her sex life back,she was perfect,the actress was superb!!!!

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
  • Love 1

I want to believe that, but Cristina's words were, "He is not the sun; you are." Not, "You are his sun, he is yours." Not, "You are just as much of a sun as he is." Specifically, he was not, she was.

I remember only thinking that it wasn't relative to each other (who is whose 'sun') but that he was a star in others' eyes and in his own (deservedly, and I prefer Derek's warmth and kindness with others vs Meredith's Ellis-learned-coldness at first meetings).  What I felt she was saying was that Meredith had to realize was that she should be the Sun in her own life and not look for that from another, not even her husband, though we are taught to do that.  'Good' women defer to their men when it comes to whose job and work is more important (at least when I was growing up), and as for age, I'll wager I'm older than anyone on this forum though I wish I weren't  :-)

All that does for me is remind me of what Shonda's faced in her life and what she goes overboard on, in all her shows -- women as superheroes, as the center of their universes (Scandal, HTGAWM) But to someone who was written as mousy as Meredith could be, and lacking in self-confidence (cowed by Star/Sun mother), I could see that particular lecture.

As for rooting for either of the two, I don't know how we can, without knowing what he's doing, his state of mind.  She's trying to justify their decision and to put a good face on it.  And that's what Alex has been pointing out.  

There is a lot of hostility here over the idea that Meredith will choose to keep doing work at the hospital when she sees the need and not pay more personal attention to the children but I've always thought that for SOME children and some mothers, that could even be healthier depending how effective the carer or nanny is.

The THING is that Derek is himself 100% working somewhere and not able to be with the children.  But the hatred comes down on Meredith.  She's the one, our culture says, who should just think of the children and pack up and follow Derek, THE actual sun who has the really star job and accept what she can do workwise in a hospital in that locale.   But she's Ellis' daughter and Derek is what he is.

The way the writing has gone, I find them both selfish, self-centered people quite often, with some redeeming characteristics.  I like both of them, and both of them can be frustrating characters.

• Love 3

This episode was awful. The writing was even more terrible than usual.

I can't believe no one ever asked the girl things like:

- do you remember at least seeing one sign with a name on it on the way to the cabin or some other detail (a farm, a landmark, a water tank...) that might help us identify where you guys are at? 

- do you have any relatives we can contact because chances are someone in your family knew you and your mom were headed to the mountains and might know where this cabin is located? 

but no, instead they teach her how to intubate her mom with a straw, because that's way easier. 

Or maybe they did ask her and I missed it because I had already decided to classify this episode as white noise and go do the dishes in the meantime.

Also, the 3-minute long scene with the dramatic music in which Owen has to figure out how to transfer a call on another phone (with thrilling close-ups of Owen and the phone) and the fact that THREE DOCTORS had the time to talk to someone on the phone for hours and do that beautiful rendition of Stayin' Alive that now I sadly can't unhear anymore is simply hilarious. I'm basically watching this show for comedy now. 

• Love 6

"This crap is why I will never become invested in another Shondaland show. Ever."

Preaching to the choir.  I watch a couple of episodes of another show - and I am like no way no how.

This show is unrelenting in its melodrama.  The Walking Dead is a serene in comparison.

• Love 4

Yet another earthquake hits the hospital, resulting in broken bones, dying moms, awkward elevator meet-cutes, Owen acting opposite a speakerphone, and other recycled plot contrivances.

http://previously.tv/greys-anatomy/phoning-it-in/"> Read the story

To whoever writes these reviews, I´ll say thank you - when I´m depressed as hell from this show and I read this,I laugh, laugh and laugh. Thank you.

• Love 2

So Owen bonds over the phone with a little girl whose mom may not make it out of surgery.  (What was that other kid's name, Ethan?)  So Ruby, Owen and Amelia will somehow form a family, that's they way they all became the Hunt-y Bunch.

Why do I have this weird feeling you are right?

The melodramatic posing as they waited for the phone to ring -- comic gold! I don't know when this show has made me laugh so hard.

I didn´t want to laugh at first as I remembered this must have brought Owen the memory of a small kid Cristina being alone with her dying father,at least I thought so, but then I had to laugh as well. Am I insensitive?

I forced myself to watch the whole part as they sang,and the way they killed Bee Gees pearl song??? Did they at least pratice the three-part singing? It seemed to me they did it at one take, awful, poor Bee Gees.. 

Why do I have this weird feeling you are right?

I don't doubt it but I doubt it'll be soon. Besides, they have to go through the usual "will they or won't they" merry go round. Perhaps the show ends before that. 

Am I insensitive?

Not laughed would've been insensitive. It was a ridiculous SL. 

After the girl's phone died, and they were waiting for the rescue squad (or whoever) to call back, do you think they, or the writers, realized they were waiting at the wrong phone? They were all huddled in Trauma Room 2, where Owen had transferred the call to, so skillfully. But the girl called the ER front desk (apparently a different number than Trauma Room 2) and probably would have told the rescuers to call that same number, not the Trauma Room 2 number. Yes, I overthink this show.

Also, thank goodness the Earthquake was basically a nonevent, or all the doctors talking and singing over the phone might have had to treat actual patients. Whew!!

Glad Dr. Herman got a (final??) shoutout.

• Love 1

I didn´t want to laugh at first as I remembered this must have brought Owen the memory of a small kid Cristina being alone with her dying father,at least I thought so, but then I had to laugh as well. Am I insensitive?

Once upon a time, I might have thought that the writers would have given enough thought for such a call-back. Now, I doubt it. But it's generous of you to think they might. :) And honestly, how could anyone not laugh at the transfer drama?

I don't have any trouble believing Derek would cheat - but like so many others, I think it will be one of those silly "twists." It would be far more interesting if it is just what it looked like.

I was never on board the McDreamy train. It seemed to me, relationship wise anyway, that he was often a jerk and would have a last minute epiphany and suddenly become "sensitive". But he never seemed to evolve past that. As soon as it was revealed that he was married (albeit separated) and hadn't told Meredith, I found him untrustworthy.

At this point, my favorite would have to be Alex - never would have guessed that in a million years.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3

I have a couple of questions regarding Ruby, her mom, 911, and the earthquake, because, like many of you, I'm bothered by the inaccuracies that Shonda tries to get away with...

Question 1:  Was it established that Ruby's mother's fall and subsequent injuries were caused by the earthquake?  I'm trying to find out if the earthquake even hit their area.

Question 2:  Is it possible for an earthquake to affect the ability to trace a cellular phone location?  Cellular technology is satellites, so the only way I can see this happening is if the ground equipment that the satellites communicate with was affected by the quake.

I'm trying to figure this out, because I don't buy that the inability to locate them was only because of them being in a remote area.  I'm physically disabled, so I have one of those Personal Emergency Response Systems/Lifelines/"Help I've fallen and I can't get up." systems.  Mine is a more advanced system that works anywhere via a portable receiver that uses cellular and GPS technology.  I've been in rural/remote areas with it, and every time I've tested it in those areas, the operators were able to pinpoint my location.  Knowing how quickly and accurately my PERS responders were able to locate me really makes me skeptical about the Grey's story line unless there was more to it than I picked up on.

• Love 1

Well, it's not unheard off.  Tracing a GPS mobile phone is accurate as long as there are enough cell towers in the area to triangulate the signal.  The way it works, at least three cell towers are required (hence the term triangulate) to give an accurate location.  In rural areas, there might be two, and sometimes only one cell tower,  it depends on how much coverage the carrier (the cell phone company) has in that area.  If there are three towers, they can pinpoint your location within a few feet; the less towers, the more inaccurate the location will be.  Generally, with two towers, you can pinpoint a location within 1,000 feet, with one tower, it's even worse.

Mobile phones have GPS, but because you are with one company, the phone will not send signals to other towers in the area, only to the ones put there by your phone company.  In the case of your device, the company that provides it probably has agreements with phone companies and they can use their towers, allowing the company to trace you from more towers than a regular phone would.  They do this by putting their receivers in the existing towers of all the cell phone companies.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 3

Not all counties have enhanced 911, even now. So if they just have basic 911, I don't belive they can track cell calls.

Whether there's a county that far behind in technology that close to Seattle is another story, but it's possible.

• Love 2

Ha, well now that I think about it, they could've had the kid open her compass app (standard on most smartphones) and tell them what her latitude and longitude was.

• Love 1

Hope that makes sense.

That makes complete sense.  Thanks for the explanation!

I also wondered about what Photo Fox mentioned about the E911.  I don't think it was stated, but logic would dictate that Ruby and her mom had to be pretty close to Seattle for GSM to be a reasonable choice of a hospital to call and for the rescue helicopter to take them to.  Yes, I know Grey's isn't logical, though.  I'd be surprised to learn that the Seattle area does not have E911.  I'm sure Shonda & Co. wouldn't bother to research that, though.

• Love 1

And when Ruby runs into Owen´s arms (I had to roll my eyes), I know this is a soap opera of sorts but this was too much melodramatic, it´s really ridiculous. I almost think writers do this to Owen on purpose,give him a hope of a child,then take it all away in a second. I wonder when it becomes a boring thing in the writers´room and they drop it.

Ha, now I have the image of Owen as Charlie Brown and all the kids that got away are footballs, with the Grey's writers room playing the role of Lucy.

Ruby running into Owen's arms was crazy -- if she was of age, I would've expected a passionate kiss. Guys, that's not the image you want to evoke with these scenes.

I was rooting for "Ruby" to be an adult doing a child's voice to distract the hospital staff for whatever reason. The helicopter arrives and emergency personnel find a fully-charged burner phone and no hint of any trauma.

But Shonda's worldview is far too optimistic for that.

• Love 1

Big fat meh, season5owenhuntfan. Just because I liked Amelia as a person last episode doesn't mean I'm any closer to understanding Owen and Amelia. Could Amelia joining that phone call been any more contrived? And why did the heart failure patient need neurosurgery?! To say nothing of the "at last!" romance novel-esque embrace between them (was he going to smell her hair?)

I was annoyed that the quirky, unique character I enjoyed last week had been once again replaced by Bland Woman Surgeon #3. I still don't get Owen and Amelia except as a "pair the ensemble's spares" thing. Or as that old song says "He's hot! She's hot!" (sort of).

• Love 1

I totally agree.

I will never understand the writers´ logic in this one,whoever of the writers came up with pairing these two for whatever reasons, why on earth why? 

Also it was clearly a cardio case - the girl´s mum. Is Amelia a cardio surgeon??? Why didn´t Owen or Richard call Maggie???Or has Amelia become a cardio specialist over night like magic? Sorry, I´m ranting again.  Things like these, illogical super irrational things on this show make me mad.

Also Amelia went away with Arizona when the phone was ringing the first time and in how many seconds she was SUDDENLY walking in the other corridor conveniently to pick up the phone? How did she even get there???? As if by magic, right? So contrived.

• Love 1