Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: The Downward Spiral

Of course. If she can't be certain she shouldn't say anything.

From what I've seen after watching the Elena character all these years, if she didn't blame him she would have said something more like "We can't know that for sure, but...(insert excuse for Stefan)".  I feel like the lack of a response was for sure Elena's way of placing the blame on Stefan...not for making Caroline do it, but that he could have stopped her.

• Love 2

Of course. If she can't be certain she shouldn't say anything. The problem is nobody including Caroline could have known if anything Stefan could have done would have made a difference, and that includes us. Stefan would probably be blaming himself no matter what happened if Caroline turned off her switch one way or another anyway.

True. He needs to stop that, it's annoying and we all know he's not really a good "person" anyway at heart, none of these "people" are. All the Angel "guilt" gets irritating after six years. Caroline is a grown up who makes her own decisions however ill-advised and Stefan had every right to say he didn't feel the same way whether he did or not, just because he has the feelings (if he does) doesn't mean he has to act on them. I wish everyone on this show would act like adults and treat each other as such. Gah!

• Love 3

It's weird because I haven't seen a lot of that version of Stefan in recent seasons. So to me, a lot of this stuff feels very inauthentic. It feels like writing for plot, not character. And it's dumb because it's just not really necessary. I believe Caroline would make this choice. And I would believe that her friends would not really buy that she could/would control herself as well as she thinks she can.

So I have no problem with Stefan wanting to force her to turn back; it's just the reasons and the explanation for why she turned in the first place that ring false to me. And I think Elena should have been less willing to consider letting Caroline do her thing for a year too. She knows what that was like. And she knows that when she came back to herself, the pain was still there, but she DID get Jeremy back. She knows Caroline never will get her mom back. So this is basically Caroline asking to take a year-long bender, which will hurt OTHER people even more than it hurts her, only to theoretically come back to herself some day in more pain than ever. Obviously people make their own choices, but if I had a friend who was about to dive into hard drugs for awhile, and I thought there was anything I could do to stop that--even if I were a former user myself--I would do that.

Anyway, so I think the writers just wanted this Angel & Darla thing, and they took these clumsy steps to get there. Now I'm just waiting for it to be over.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 2

I really wish they'd stop trying to borrow from Buffy and Angel, they always fail miserably :(

Hell, even the "humanity switch" and their tendency to repeat that plot is the equivalent of Angel losing his soul for the tenth time. Even if they didn't fail miserably at copying Buffy and Angel it wouldn't kill them to at least try to fake that they have some originality.

In fact, it's incredibly weird how they can manage to write the plot and characters of The Originals so well at least by comparison but also continue to completely fail to do the same with this show.

• Love 1

Hell, even the "humanity switch" and their tendency to repeat that plot is the equivalent of Angel losing his soul for the tenth time. Even if they didn't fail miserably at copying Buffy and Angel it wouldn't kill them to at least try to fake that they have some originality.

In fact, it's incredibly weird how they can manage to write the plot and characters of The Originals so well at least by comparison but also continue to completely fail to do the same with this show.

A broken watch is right twice a day?

A broken watch is right twice a day?

I'd say it's simply that since The Originals is a young show the writers actually bother to put some effort into it, TVD was pretty good in it's earlier seasons too. When a show is young the writers have to put their absolute best if they care for it to last. However, TVD is at the point most shows that last long enough eventually get to, the one where it's been around long enough to get a large enough fanbase that the writers think they can just coast off of the good will of the fans for a good while so they half ass it.

• Love 1

Plus Williamson left so they literally do have half an ass. If he wrote this episode Caroline may have been more inclined to do what I'd expect from her which is to be Type-A and keep herself soooo busy with some project so as not to think about her mother. Caroline has never been one to fall apart over some guy so this whole storyline is stupid. Stefan should not have been the straw that broke this camel's back and she certainly wouldn't want Ripper coming out. This isn't Caroline this is some Elena 2.0 bullshit. Williamson knew how to service a character and a story.

• Love 1