Type keyword(s) to search

Eve's Marathon Diary: You Finish The Pot, You Make The Next One

Loved this diary entry - and I agree that Carcetti is a horrible person (though perhaps not as horrible as Aiden Gillen's next important role, Peter "Littlefinger" Baelish on "Game of Thrones').

But I do take exception to one thing. Will Graham really is brilliant (and troubled) because, well... he simply is. And it's been way too long since I've heard him say "This is my design..."

Isn't the crooked politician the one who draws out the "Sheeeit?"  I thought Norman was pretty well spoken.

I'd forgotten about the Carcetti coffee scene.  I loved that.  Another honest to goodness, realistic, horrible person moment, brought to you by The Wire.

I'd forgotten the hip hop quiz, as well.  At the time, I remember thinking "that's trying pretty hard to be clever", and I didn't care for it too much.  Good point, though, that the Chris character is a thankless role.

I loved Michael in this storyline.  Just loved him.

Isn't the crooked politician the one who draws out the "Sheeeit?"  I thought Norman was pretty well spoken.

I think Norman busts out a "Sheeeeit" in one scene while he and Tommy are discussing Clay Davis, if I'm not mistaken. I did a Season 1-4 rewatch recently (just got a little burned out before S5), and I think I remember it. 

Btw, I love that the coffee pot scene is the focus of the article. Such a small moment, but so telling of the out-of-touch character that Carcetti is. And it's great that the show is smart enough draw just enough attention to it. Lesser shows would beat you over the head by having the entitled character throwing a fit (about a mayor-elect taking orders from a lowly detective) or complaining that he doesn't even know how to operate the coffee maker. 

Carcetti was an interesting character. I thought that at first he sort of wanted to help people, but was also kind of an asshole. Then becoming mayor and realizing all the compromises he had to make he went to full asshole.

I am also curious about the first paragraph of the recap. Who is the character repeatedly betrayed. I have a few possibilities, but I haven't watched the season in years so I am wondering who you meant.

Bubbles, by Hauk, I believe.

By the way, that's the name of my new perfume: Bubbles by Hauk

Thumbs up x 10!  I might spend actual money on that.

I think Norman busts out a "Sheeeeit" in one scene while he and Tommy are discussing Clay Davis, if I'm not mistaken. I did a Season 1-4 rewatch recently (just got a little burned out before S5), and I think I remember it.

Yes, that sounds right.  I stand corrected.  (Or, stare at my computer from my slouchy position, but still, corrected.)  And thanks for remembering Clay's name.  God, he was awful, but another believably awful character.

Carcetti was an interesting character. I thought that at first he sort of wanted to help people, but was also kind of an asshole. Then becoming mayor and realizing all the compromises he had to make he went to full asshole.

That's funny.  I suppose I think of all politicians as assholes, basically, so I had the opposite interpretation.  I thought Carcetti was supposed to be one of the "good" ones, because he at least still had some noble ideas (even if he got more and more cynical) and/or still seemed to feel some genuine dismay when he wasn't able make good on the improvements he had thought possible.  

My thoughts about Carcetti were similar. He was another example of what the series shows pretty consistently, is almost its theme: that even those with ideals about how they can improve the quality of life for others get so hamstrung by bureaucratic requirements and the necessary compromises and the deals you make in order to get cooperation, that they end up making no more difference than anybody else.

• Love 1