Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Dissy
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Give me some  lyrics ftom Strokin' . 

Uh....well....

You might want to listen to it, cain't be giving such lyrics that'll likely make some blush.

I'll just say that Clarence Carter is a nasty rascal and leave it at that!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Uh....well....

You might want to listen to it, cain't be giving such lyrics that'll likely make some blush.

OMG I remember this song.  I haven't heard it in years.  

Another great song from that era is Brother Louie which is about an interracial love affair.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Another great song from that era is Brother Louie which is about an interracial love affair.

I found that out not too long ago!  Mr. Vixenstud loves to say that this song was written about us, because he is white and I'm black....thank god I didn't go through what the woman did in the song though as I've always gotten along with his family and he with mine.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Uh....well....

I LOVE dancing to this song!

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, falltime said:

press the the quote with the plus.  a little box will pop-up that say quote 1 post.  do not click it yet.  go to the other thread then click the pop-up and the quote should insert itself.

Thanks! I did it!

On 1/16/2019 at 7:32 AM, Tosia said:

Give me some  lyrics ftom Strokin' . 

The lyrics are fine with me--just sexy,  but there's nuthin' BETTER than dancing West Coast Swing (or Half-Time or the Shag) to this song.  The voice, the music, the beat, the words...I stroke it to the east
And I stroke it to the west
And I stroke it to the woman that I love the best, huh

And don't forget Clarence Carter, Clarence Carter, Clarence Carter.            Mid-80s to today!

• Love 2
On 1/3/2019 at 6:23 AM, Haleth said:

I had a dream last night that I was at Meghan's wedding.  No kidding.  It was weird.

The wedding or the dream?      (Sorry, I keep forgetting about this page)

• Love 1

re: swimming

i don't know how good at swimming i am. i don't think i've been in deep water for about 20 years.  i think i was sent to swimming lessons when i was a kid but my memory is fuzzy, so i don't know if i really learned.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, falltime said:

i don't know how good at swimming i am. i don't think i've been in deep water for about 20 years.  i think i was sent to swimming lessons when i was a kid but my memory is fuzzy, so i don't know if i really learned.

My husband can't swim at all, and he grew up close to the ocean in Puerto Rico. He just was working his butt off all the time to help his family survive, and never had free time to learn (he can't ride a bike, either)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, falltime said:

i think i was sent to swimming lessons when i was a kid but my memory is fuzzy, so i don't know if i really learned.

I took care of my (2) younger sisters in the summertime from age 9 thru 12...but I also started babysitting for a horrid family later that summer.  We didn't have a car and a woman in our neighborhood got a job in my mother's office.  In exchange for MY babysitting, the woman drove my mother to work.  Prior to that she had to walk over a mile to her FIRST bus.  So...my sisters were 8 and 10.  The year before, all three of us took free swimming lessons at our local pool.  The lessons were underwritten by the Red Cross and our local newspaper.  Kids who took the lessons (in the morning) could swim FREE the rest of the day.  We learned to swim well.  So...the summer I babysat, my sisters took the lessons (again) so they could swim free every morning for (2) weeks.  And again the next summer.  Little scammers!  I would have scammed right along with them if I hadn't been "earning a living."

• Love 5
20 hours ago, falltime said:

i just got a sudden flash of memory from when i was a kid.  we were at a lake, we were standing on some rocks on the deep side of the lake and someone pushes me in. someone, probably the same person that pushed me in, had to save me because i was just flailing around.

• Love 1

I didn't learn to swim until I was in my 30s.  I took swimming lessons with my kids. Now that I am old, I don't like getting water in my ears or up my nose.  There really is no need. We have a subdivision pool that we float in.  I could use nose plugs and ear plugs I guess if I got inspired.  Maybe this summer.  

• Love 1

I was lucky to grow up in a neighborhood with friends who had pools. I also went to city pools without even a thought of perverts. In high school (the 1980's), swim was a mandatory class we had to take. Ended up on the swim team my senior year - strength being long distance swimming.. Anywho -  I used to find it odd to run into adults who don't know how or won't even go into water - but as I get older I get it. When you have so many opportunities - in this case - swimming - it can be hard to realize others did not have the same opportunity. I do wish it was a mandatory class for all middle schoolers or high schoolers everywhere, as I think it's important to at least be comfortable in the water (of course if you never go near a body of water I guess it's a non-issue, lol).

Edited by BodhiGurl
  • Love 1

This came out last night:

"Ex-New York Times editor Jill Abramson is reviewing passages in her new book after plagiarism allegations."

I'm seeing it this morning at many of the major news sites. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Well, ladies and gents, I had a dream about Whoopi last night.  I don't know what inspired it.  I didn't have too much to eat or drink before bedtime.  Maybe I was reading on here later in the day. Anyway, she was Very Pleasant in the dream and had boxes of old worn out tchotchkes and she said to me "please pick out something you like".  I spent a lot of time going through boxes of broken, dirty, cheap crap.  The boxes this stuff was in said "crystal", "fine china", etc.  they were all the sizes of shoe boxes.  There was other activity going on around us, and at one point I said to her "no one will believe I'm with the famous Whoopi Goldberg" and she said "Baby, go get your phone and we'll take some pictures" which at that point in the dream I couldn't find my phone (personal nightmare of mine).  I am 5'2" and in the dream she was shorter than me and her dreads were very gray.  And then I woke up thinking "what the what?"

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Regarding invitations to showers and weddings, what do you all do when you receive an invite but can't attend?  Do you send a gift anyway?  When my daughter got married 1.5 yrs ago I canvassed friends about who would think about coming to the wedding.  It was a destination wedding and required attendees to make a big commitment of time and money.  Only a handful of people said they'd think about it so they are the only ones I invited because I didn't want people to feel obligated to send a gift for a wedding they would not be attending.  (We only ended up with 40 people and had a fantastic time.)  So, do you send a gift if you've been invited, regardless of whether you actually go or not?

I think it is up to the party invited. I probably would do it but wouldn't feel obligated to do so.

1 hour ago, springtime said:

I think it is up to the party invited. I probably would do it but wouldn't feel obligated to do so.

For me, it depends on the people getting married, how close I felt to them, and my reason for not attending.  

I sent a gift when someone I liked got married and I couldn't attend because I was recovering form surgery.

I didn't send a gift when my cousin got married for the second time (less than two years after her FIRST big wedding) and had registered for very expensive china, silver, etc.,  after getting tons of that stuff for her first wedding, which lasted 2 months.   Sorry, cousin,  you don't need 12 place settings of different china than you already got.  

• Love 4

@suomi I'm so sorry about your Mom.

I was at a nursing home for rehab when I was just entering my 30's over 5yrs ago. I was the youngest person in the place who didn't work there. I got a UTI which I probably had from the extended stay hospital I was in for almost a mo in-between the actual hospital and there. They took the catheter out the day before I was taken to the nursing home/rehab where I ended up staying for the whole 3mo. I was peeing all the time for most of my stay there and at times on myself. They threw different antibiotics at the UTI on and off then sent me home on them when I was discharged. I was still easily tired with not much endurance after 3mo of physical and occupational therapy. I went for a checkup at the Dr's office about a couple weeks later and the test I took a couple days before my appointment showed I still had the UTI which didn't surprise me at all since I was still having trouble urinary wise.

I went to walk out of the exam room with my Mom and got halfway to the waiting room and had to turn around to go sit in the room for a couple minutes. I felt ok when I got back up and made it to the car fine. My Mom and I drove around a bit before going home and she ran into a near by gas station for nachos before we got home. When I got out of the SUV I collapsed hitting my chin on the bottom of the door frame which caused me to chip a front tooth. I just laid in the grass by the car because I was to weak to do anything else and my Mom ran in the house to call 911. When I got to the ER my blood pressure was low, I had fever which I never usually have even when sick, I had the chills and at the same time all I wanted was ice water with their crushed ice. They had to get my pee with my laying in the bed. Of course it came back for a UTI like I told them the one the Dr. read the results from earlier did, I was then diagnosed with Urinary Sepsis because the infection spread. When my Dr. got there he said I looked worse in the ER then I did in the office. I was too tired and kind of out of it to ask if I had looked that bad earlier why didn't he send me to the hospital as a precaution. The ER Dr. said if I had been brought in even a few hours later I probably wouldn't have made it. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks on IV antibiotics and went home on some too. It was awful and I've never felt the way I did for those first couple days in the hospital before it actually felt like the antibiotics were kicking in. I don't ever want to feel that way again. 

I tried to condense my post as much as I possibly could. ☮️

• Love 1

OMG @Jaded ... what a horror story!!!  Did "it" have any long-term implications?  My sister endured the same type of situation & had bladder infections, off & on, til the day she died (of throat cancer).

I blame poor sanitation & a lack of training in hospitals & care facilities.  Unfortunately, woman pay a high price for getting ill (or hurt).

• Love 3

So sorry to hear your story, Jaded. 2 weeks of IV antibiotics pretty much sums up how serious it was! OMG you were in your early 30s and nearly died, which goes to show how easily sepsis wipes out anyone, at any age. If you had collapsed when you were at home alone ... well, it doesn't bear thinking about does it? Yay, the practice of medicine.

My dad lived until he was 93 and in his 70s he started saying "Take me to a veterinarian if I get really sick because they know how to diagnose and treat patients who can't talk to them." The longer I live, the more I think about him saying that. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

And I speak from experience.  Did I date men young enough to be my son?  No.  But I do date men younger than me.

My husband dumped us (2kids/me) when I was 39.  It took me six months to recover (it was a shock to us, our families/friends, our community).  He snuck out while we were at a junior high open house.  ANYWAY...the first guy I truly dated was 26 (yippee!).  When I finally invited him over for dinner, he and my kids played basketball on our driveway while I cooked.  My son, 13, came in and said, 'Mom.  Dennis can play basketball a LOT better and longer than Dad."  I said, "I think he's probably good at a lot of things."  (heh heh heh)

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

My husband dumped us (2kids/me) when I was 39.  It took me six months to recover (it was a shock to us, our families/friends, our community).  He snuck out while we were at a junior high open house.  ANYWAY...the first guy I truly dated was 26 (yippee!).  When I finally invited him over for dinner, he and my kids played basketball on our driveway while I cooked.  My son, 13, came in and said, 'Mom.  Dennis can play basketball a LOT better and longer than Dad."  I said, "I think he's probably good at a lot of things."  (heh heh heh)

Also dumped mid 30s. Mr lookeyloo 12 years my junior. Kids fell for him first. We are married going on 38 years. Sometimes it works great. 

• Love 10

For Kindle readers, today only, Amazon is offering this until midnight in your time zone: The Collected Autobiographies of Maya Angelou. 1186 pages for $2.99! I have become a tight-fisted old broad in retirement and usually won't pay more than $3-4 for a Kindle book unless it's at least 300 pages, so this bargain nearly knocked me off my feet! Three of these books are new to me and the other three I will enjoy re-reading. I know, I know, Kindle isn't real books but ... 1186 pages! The hardcover is also available, $27.19 and 1184 pages. You can go to Amazon via this Goodreads link: 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13206.The_Collected_Autobiographies_of_Maya_Angelou

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/arrests-made-nationwide-college-admissions-scam-alleged-exam-cheating-athletic

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme

the links have a list of all the people involve in the college admissions scam. the 1st link has the jobs and charges of the people and the 2nd has a table with case status.

following link is to download affidavit, 204 pgs - https://www.justice.gov/file/1142876/download

Edited by falltime
add download link
  • Love 2

So i really dislike the front tuck look- that is went you tuck in only the front of your shirt. I don't really mind what John McCain's daughter wears on the show but today she had a blouse that I thought she tucked in only on the front. So I searched for it and that blouse is designed that way on purpose, i find it ugly.

saksfifthavenue.com

14 hours ago, falltime said:

So i really dislike the front tuck look- that is went you tuck in only the front of your shirt. I don't really mind what John McCain's daughter wears on the show but today she had a blouse that I thought she tucked in only on the front. So I searched for it and that blouse is designed that way on purpose, i find it ugly.

saksfifthavenue.com

AKA the French Tuck. Ehhew!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Thank you John Oliver.  Remember Jay Leno was on the other day, saying how boring late night comedy is. If you can't stand Jay Leno smugness check out

Last Week Tonight  with John Oliver 

20190318_095710.jpg

Basically he talked about Jay saying he wanted civility back on late night, then showed clip after clip of Jay's awful Monica Lewinsky jokes including calling her a slut. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Basically he talked about Jay said wanted civility back on late night, then showed clip after clip of Jay's awful Monica Lewinsky jokes including calling her a slut.

I have never liked Jay Leno.  I personally think Joan Rivers or David Letterman should have got the Tonight Show after Carson left. And then for Jay to want to come back after Conan was given the Tonight Show was wrong.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Basically he talked about Jay saying he wanted civility back on late night, then showed clip after clip of Jay's awful Monica Lewinsky jokes including calling her a slut. 

Jay Leno, along with the other late night talk show hosts, jumped on the bandwagon to bash Meghan's buddy Clay Aiken for being effeminate.  This was when Clay was on Idol, and wasn't out yet.    It was a time when calling someone gay was the punchline to a lot of jokes, about any male celeb who wasn't macho enough.  

A lot of Jay Leno's "comedy"  was mean spirited.  To me, he came across as smug.  Like Joy said, comics should "punch up"  rather than "punch down" - make fun of people who are in power, not people who can be really hurt by your jokes.  

Leno is on the TIm Allen show now - Last Man Standing?  and plays a doofus whom nobody takes seriously.  

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Jay Leno, along with the other late night talk show hosts, jumped on the bandwagon to bash Meghan's buddy Clay Aiken for being effeminate.  This was when Clay was on Idol, and wasn't out yet.    It was a time when calling someone gay was the punchline to a lot of jokes, about any male celeb who wasn't macho enough.  

A lot of Jay Leno's "comedy"  was mean spirited.  To me, he came across as smug.  Like Joy said, comics should "punch up"  rather than "punch down" - make fun of people who are in power, not people who can be really hurt by your jokes.  

Leno is on the TIm Allen show now - Last Man Standing?  and plays a doofus whom nobody takes seriously.  

So he's playing himself 😁

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

I watched Jay on and off while he was the host of The Tonight Show mostly for the bits that involved more then just him except for the last few years before he left the show the first time and when he returned. During his later years he started to rely heavily on jokes about fat people. I always consider those types of jokes to be low hanging fruit that are easy to pick to fill time and get out of writing jokes that are actually clever. I know Letterman could be an asshole on and off screen but I appreciated the fact that he eventually copped to it on air and in interviews. Jay continues to try and act like he's above it all when he did the same thing he's actively criticizing other late nights hosts for. I'll have to find that John Oliver segment about him from his show.

• Love 10
On 3/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, Medicine Crow said:

OMG @Jaded ... what a horror story!!!  Did "it" have any long-term implications?  My sister endured the same type of situation & had bladder infections, off & on, til the day she died (of throat cancer).

I blame poor sanitation & a lack of training in hospitals & care facilities.  Unfortunately, woman pay a high price for getting ill (or hurt).

I forgot to reply to your post @Medicine Crow.

I had UTI issues on and off kinda frequently until my Mom died. I wasn't fully recovered from my ordeal when my Mom and I switched places to where I had to be more of a caregiver for her. After she died those issues kind of subsided. I'm guessing part of that was due to no longer living under the stress of being a sole caregiver for someone and having to watch someone who I loved so very much turn into a different person due in part to brain cancer. As much as I miss her I don't miss that stress and running myself ragged like a chicken with their head cut off.

Domino's - March 18 through March 24
all pizzas 50% off menu price - any size pizza
online orders only - pickup or delivery

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/18/2019 at 7:10 AM, blondiec0332 said:

I have never liked Jay Leno.  I personally think Joan Rivers or David Letterman should have got the Tonight Show after Carson left. And then for Jay to want to come back after Conan was given the Tonight Show was wrong.

A good friend knew Jay Leno and didn't have anything good to say about him.  They had a mutual friend getting married and it was outside.  Leno was late and mid ceremony drove up on his motorcycle drowning out the ceremony.  Didn't stay long either.  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Dr. Angelou (although Honorary), Ms. Angelou, Ms. Maya certainly lacked class in the enounter with a (probably nervous) young woman asking the question at a large gathering.   Did anyone chastise her?  Did she reconsider her comments?  I doubt it.

I've long been a huge admirer but lost some respect for her after reading a collection of her memoirs because in the later volumes she rewrote history a bit.

Earlier, she clearly laid out a series of child care arrangements wherein sometimes she visited her son only once a week when he was an infant, a toddler. She was very young when he was born and sometimes had a difficult schedule and had to arrange transportation to where he was staying but still ... own that, please. He also stayed with her family for extended periods when she wasn't regularly in the picture. Sometimes she was away for weeks and months and didn't see him at all. 

In the last couple volumes, as he was aging out and moving along, she glossed over how much time they spent apart and made it sound as if they were in each other's pockets from the beginning, two against the world. Someone who didn't read all of the memoirs would gain that impression from the later volumes, and I found that disappointing - not because it happened that way but because she didn't own it. 

The next generations are, hopefully, always listening. Let's tell them the whole truth. 

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 4

In all the pre-advance leaks from the new new book (Ladies Who Punch), I haven't seen one mention of the formidable Stah Jones. Wonder if she and/or ex-hubby Big Gay Al were interviewed? Everything so far seems to concentrate on Rosie/Elisabeth/Whoppi/Barbara. Come on, give us some Stah dirt!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, suomi said:

I've long been a huge admirer but lost some respect for her after reading a collection of her memoirs because in the later volumes she rewrote history a bit.

Earlier, she clearly laid out a series of child care arrangements wherein sometimes she visited her son only once a week when he was an infant, a toddler. She was very young when he was born and sometimes had a difficult schedule and had to arrange transportation to where he was staying but still ... own that, please. He also stayed with her family for extended periods when she wasn't regularly in the picture. Sometimes she was away for weeks and months and didn't see him at all. 

In the last couple volumes, as he was aging out and moving along, she glossed over how much time they spent apart and made it sound as if they were in each other's pockets from the beginning, two against the world. Someone who didn't read all of the memoirs would gain that impression from the later volumes, and I found that disappointing - not because it happened that way but because she didn't own it. 

The next generations are, hopefully, always listening. Let's tell them the whole truth. 

I know someone (my son) who was involved in getting Ms Angelou to speak at a large event.  She commanded a healthy fee.  She was very demanding about everything. Including type and amount of wine of which she imbibed before her speech. He was surprised and became not a fan. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DannyRugg said:

In all the pre-advance leaks from the new new book (Ladies Who Punch), I haven't seen one mention of the formidable Stah Jones. Wonder if she and/or ex-hubby Big Gay Al were interviewed? Everything so far seems to concentrate on Rosie/Elisabeth/Whoppi/Barbara. Come on, give us some Stah dirt!

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/the-views-joy-behar-and-star-jones-feuded-behind-the-scenes/

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/03/star-jones-diva-behavior-the-view-set-exposed-new-book/

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, falltime said:

According to the AP, Maya Angelou did apologized later in the show.

Thank you so much for posting the AP link in the 3/25 thread because I wasn't clear on what the controversy was about. I don't have network programming, I don't pay for the local channels package, so I rely on posters here to provide me with the content of the show.

"Put a handle on it," oh my, yes! I was a child in the '50s and my Arkansas Nana and Oklahoma mother raised us with that tradition. We knew better than to question it or stray from it. Only one slight tweak to Mr or Mrs Last Name was allowed - some adults could safely be addressed using Miss or Mr with their first name. Looking back, I think they were unmarried. 

I can still feel the power of The Look we got if an adult invited us to use their first name only. Sometimes, as a guerrilla tactic, like a snake sunning on a rock, Nana lazily watched for our response. But we knew she was coiled and ready to spring and she had switched our legs a time or two so we always did her proud. Yes ma'am, no ma'am and yes sir, no sir also were mandatory and still come to me readily. We used to say we grew up in SoCal while serving in the Arkansas Marine Corps. 

It was drilled into us that our every word and deed was a reflection on our mother who felt that way about reflecting on her mother. Remember the scene in To Kill A Mockingbird when Atticus busted Jem, Scout and Dill for sneaking into the courthouse during the trial and they were so ashamed and could only look at the floor? Ms Angelou was raised with that generation's outlook and expectations. All things considered, a little bit of healthy fear can be a good thing. 

Ms Angelou was often prickly but she came by it honestly, it was in her maternal line. I was glad to learn that she extended an apology for delivering a comeuppance, no matter how well deserved she felt it was. She had an amazing life, overcame many obstacles and was wise in very important ways.

My brother's kids have never once called me or my sister Aunt or Auntie and none of their kids do. That is reserved for the LDS side of the family, their mother's side. SMH. I sign cards with Auntie or Tia and refer to myself that way but it has never registered.

AND they all cut across the damn lawn when coming to the front door!!!

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1