Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Dissy
  • Start Topic

On NBC tonight they aired an actual vintage episode of SNL. It's been awhile since it wasn't an episode from a few years ago. Tonight's episode was from Nov. 20th, 1976. It included this gem.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

On NBC tonight they aired an actual vintage episode of SNL. It's been awhile since it wasn't an episode from a few years ago. Tonight's episode was from Nov. 20th, 1976. It included this gem.

Great one.  I remember watching it back then.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, suomi said:

Oh no! For those who haven't heard, Notorious RBG had a fall at work last night, went home, went to hospital with discomfort this morning, admitted with 3 broken ribs. :( :( :( 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ginsburg-85-hospitalized-after-fracturing-3-ribs-in-fall/ar-BBPtRf3?li=BBnb7Kz

RBG is a tough little bird, and she knows how much we need her.  If she has any say (and I'll bet she does), she'll be up and back on the Court in no time.  In the meantime, I wish her a quick and complete recovery with no pain. 

Is it possible this was just RBG's way of politely getting out of KavaNO's induction ceremony?  LOL

• Love 7

ITA, Tunia. "Tough little bird," LOL, she would love that. Broken ribs are so painful. Welp, now I know whose DVD I'm gonna watch this afternoon -

"Hero. Icon. Dissenter." 

This was the best part of the article:

She already has hired clerks for the term that extends into 2020, indicating she has no plans to retire.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Any break is serious for someone that age. I hope she recovers quickly and without any difficulties. 

Yes indeed, that's what I meant, but you said better.  I also hope for speedy and complete recovery!!

• Love 1

For RBG, I feel like quoting from Daniel Day-Lewis, playing the Native American, saying to his love interest, Madeline Stowe,  in The Last of the Mohicans film:  "Stay alive! You must stay alive. "

Or taking poetic license with  Princess Leia hologram message stored in R2D2 in Star Wars: " Help me, RBG, you're are only hope."

We need RBG so much now.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

For RBG, I feel like quoting from Daniel Day-Lewis, playing the Native American, saying to his love interest, Madeline Stowe,  in The Last of the Mohicans film:  "Stay alive! You must stay alive. "

Or taking poetic license with  Princess Leia hologram message stored in R2D2 in Star Wars: " Help me, RBG, you're are our only hope."

We need RBG so much now.

There, fixed that for ya!!!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Any break is serious for someone that age. I hope she recovers quickly and without any difficulties. 

Especially because broken ribs don't heal quickly even in younger people and she will lose her hard won strength and mobility while she mends. No exercising, having to move slowly and carefully. Two bouts with cancer and now a second set of broken ribs. Gah! I am so bummed for her. Light bulb! Let's send get well cards! We don't need her street address - when Eric Clapton's young son died he received thousands of cards from all over the world addressed simply to Eric Clapton, London, England. We can do this! Maybe not funny cards tho - don't make her laugh (ouch, no). 

Associate Justice Ginsburg

Supreme Court of the United States                                              1 First St NE, Washington, DC 20543

Edited by suomi
found the address
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, suomi said:

Especially because broken ribs don't heal quickly even in younger people and she will lose her hard won strength and mobility while she mends. No exercising, having to move slowly and carefully. Two bouts with cancer and now a second set of broken ribs. Gah! I am so bummed for her. Light bulb! Let's send get well cards! We don't need her street address - when Eric Clapton's young son died he received thousands of cards from all over the world addressed simply to Eric Clapton, London, England. We can do this! Maybe not funny cards tho - don't make her laugh (ouch, no). 

Associate Justice Ginsburg

Supreme Court of the United States                                              1 First St NE, Washington, DC 20543

That is a great idea.  If you saw the movie/documentary, her daughter said they wrote in a notebook when "mommy laughed".  Apparently she doesn't laugh often.  In the movie, they showed her a clip of Kate McKinnon impersonating her, and I thought RBG didn't want to laugh, but, couldn't help it.  Anyone else?

• Love 4
22 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

That is a great idea.  If you saw the movie/documentary, her daughter said they wrote in a notebook when "mommy laughed".  Apparently she doesn't laugh often.  In the movie, they showed her a clip of Kate McKinnon impersonating her, and I thought RBG didn't want to laugh, but, couldn't help it.  Anyone else?

Just don't send any really funny cards … laughing with broken ribs really hurts!  A card that makes her smile would be better.

• Love 2

Found a nice Hallmark card (with a cheery orange envelope) at the dollar store:

Hope you're feeling GREAT by the time you get this card

That way, instead of a "Get Well" card

it can be a "Glad You're All Better" card!

Sent it this afternoon. :)

• Love 2
On 11/8/2018 at 12:58 PM, Haleth said:

I do too.  Now with all our thoughts, prayers, blessings, vigils said and done lets get realistic.  RBG is a bulldog, which i mean in the most respectful complimentary way.  She is going to work and work and work.  The Dr will prob have to order her not to work.  And i think all that will be to her detriment.  She wont heal as fast etc.  I know!  She needs divine intervention from Martha Stewart!  A Spirit guide if you will.  I call mine Jack Daniels hah kidding

• Love 3

Everyone knows dogs are smart. We had dogs when I was growing up because my mom didn't like cats. I rescued my first cat in my 20s and altho I loved a few dogs along the way cats became my favorite companions. They were a better fit for my eventual lifestyle of working long hours, condo rules, no private yard, etc. But I never thought much about the intelligence of cats until a trio of rescues came to me one by one over 6 or 7 years. The first one, a male with attitude, was happiest outdoors but I didn't want him killing birds so I trained him to walk on a leash and he quit rushing the front door when someone opened it. He sat next to his leash hanging on a closet doorknob and stared holes in me until we went outside 2 or 3 or 9 times a day. He enjoyed the occasional stroll through Pet Smart on his leash, seeing the birds, fish and small animals and, because he was hip to fast food, he never lost hope that one day they would be bagged for him. The attitude was such that no dog ever did more than glance his way. He sneered from the seat in the shopping cart while we watched the dog obedience classes with a look on his face like "As if." He  was about 2 when I got him, according to the vet, and he lived with me for 14 years. We went to Daktari (our word for vet) when I noticed that he was moping and found out he had diabetes. I tried my best for 2 days but he refused injections so it was a lost cause and I made plans for his last trip to Daktari the next day. He wanted a nest in the bathroom and I sat with him until 5am and primed the alarm for one hour because that was better than nothing. I had just barely fallen asleep when a very loud and desperate voice woke me: "Where ARE You??" I ran to MoMo and we shared his last few moments and I would've been even more devastated if I missed that. I've often thought about it and honestly cannot say whether I heard a thought or a voice but I do know it woke me "just in time." That was 6 years and even tho we're in a different house now Isabel pricks her ears and looks down the hallway if I say "Where is MoMo?" ;- )

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 14
On 11/29/2018 at 2:59 AM, suomi said:

Everyone knows dogs are smart. We had dogs when I was growing up because my mom didn't like cats. I rescued my first cat in my 20s and altho I loved a few dogs along the way cats became my favorite companions. They were a better fit for my eventual lifestyle of working long hours, condo rules, no private yard, etc. But I never thought much about the intelligence of cats until a trio of rescues came to me one by one over 6 or 7 years. The first one, a male with attitude, was happiest outdoors but I didn't want him killing birds so I trained him to walk on a leash and he quit rushing the front door when someone opened it. He sat next to his leash hanging on a closet doorknob and stared holes in me until we went outside 2 or 3 or 9 times a day. He enjoyed the occasional stroll through Pet Smart on his leash, seeing the birds, fish and small animals and, because he was hip to fast food, he never lost hope that one day they would be bagged for him. The attitude was such that no dog ever did more than glance his way. He sneered from the seat in the shopping cart while we watched the dog obedience classes with a look on his face like "As if." He  was about 2 when I got him, according to the vet, and he lived with me for 14 years. We went to Daktari (our word for vet) when I noticed that he was moping and found out he had diabetes. I tried my best for 2 days but he refused injections so it was a lost cause and I made plans for his last trip to Daktari the next day. He wanted a nest in the bathroom and I sat with him until 5am and primed the alarm for one hour because that was better than nothing. I had just barely fallen asleep when a very loud and desperate voice woke me: "Where ARE You??" I ran to MoMo and we shared his last few moments and I would've been even more devastated if I missed that. I've often thought about it and honestly cannot say whether I heard a thought or a voice but I do know it woke me "just in time." That was 6 years and even tho we're in a different house now Isabel pricks her ears and looks down the hallway if I say "Where is MoMo?" ;- )

I had a shared experience when I had to finally put Bo down.  I was lucky enough to hv him for 20ish years.  Im so sorry for your loss @suomi

• Love 6

As per the mods instruction, I'm bringing this over

Well my first email to Starbucks on their website under company information, drop down box of corporate social responsibility, because the choices weren't great, got a canned response saying sorry we send you too many promotional emails.  Funny, because it starts out by saying "I just finished reading your email...". Obviously they didn't.  More research necessary!!

Followup - I emailed back telling them I wasn't talking about promotional emails.  They emailed me back saying they were confused about what I was saying.  I emailed THEM back saying I didn't know where to voice my issues about them sponsoring a show with a rude and inconsiderate host, and if not the right place, where to do so.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

lookeyloo - I have found more support from companies going on their facebook page - they keep a close eye on those.

Oooh, yes, because it's public, there's an audience. Good idea. (Unless they decide to delete certain posts. Which hopefully were seen by lots of eyeballs before deletion). 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, maggiemae said:

lookeyloo - I have found more support from companies going on their facebook page - they keep a close eye on those.

Good idea. Thanks. I got another email where the fellow said thanks for the comments and gave me other areas to contact. I think Facebook or maybe twitter would be better than emailing. I will just say they need to watch the show to,see how unwatchable it is because of Ms McCain’s rude and disrespectful behavior to panel members and guests. I’m willing to do my part but at this,point it could become a full time endeavor to contact everyone through their websites

I will write to the sponsors on their Facebook pages about refusing to buy their products as long as MM is on the View. 

Why? MM is embarrassingly stupid and horribly rude to everyone on the show--guests, audience, and other hosts.  It's only a matter of time before she demeans your product.

I want to hear intelligent issues discussed calmly (so I can hear all sides), and/or see the hosts having fun and joking together.

I don't want to watch hate tv. It's a drag.

I like to go away from a show in a good mood or share something funny that happened on the show with my friends and family.

I am more inclined to watch commercials if I'm looking forward to the next segment, instead of being angry cuz MM created an inane fight because she misunderstood or didn't listen to other people. Her negativity reflects on your products in that I get disgusted with everything surrpunding the show. 

I'm not likely to remember your products positively when the same old MM was mean today, or said something ignorant, or showed her lack of historical perspective---again. And again. And again. She's a very poor rep for her issues due to this behavior. MM is not helping you sell your merchandise because no one wants a disreputable memory associated with it.  

Sincerely. 

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I'm not likely to remember your products positively when the same old MM was mean today, or said something ignorant, or showed her lack of historical perspective---again. And again. And again. She's a very poor rep for her issues due to this behavior. MM is not helping you sell your merchandise because no one wants a disreputable memory associated with it.  

I  have a very long memory when it comes to brands and places that are associated with things I find offensive or just plain piss me off.  Won't step foot in a Chick Fil A.  Or Hobby Lobby.  Or Papa Johns.   Stopped shopping at Nordstrom because of Ivanka Trump.  But I think they dropped  her brand so I might go back.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I  have a very long memory when it comes to brands and places that are associated with things I find offensive or just plain piss me off.  Won't step foot in a Chick Fil A.  Or Hobby Lobby.  Or Papa Johns.   Stopped shopping at Nordstrom because of Ivanka Trump.  But I think they dropped  her brand so I might go back.

You just reminded me.  I was at Winners here in Canada, similar to a Marshalls, right after Ivanka was given the boot from retailers, and I came across a fugly as hell blue blouse with giant green flowers on it (which actually could/would be right up my alley because I admit, I do tend to love borderline ugly floral tops) Anyhoo, this one was too ugly even for me and it was an Ivanka Trump special.  $14.99.  Oh, how I laughed and laughed.  Good times.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

You just reminded me.  I was at Winners here in Canada, similar to a Marshalls, right after Ivanka was given the boot from retailers, and I came across a fugly as hell blue blouse with giant green flowers on it (which actually could/would be right up my alley because I admit, I do tend to love borderline ugly floral tops) Anyhoo, this one was too ugly even for me and it was an Ivanka Trump special.  $14.99.  Oh, how I laughed and laughed.  Good times.

Over the summer I was at a Saks outlet and I saw a blouse I liked and I reached for it and when I saw Ivanka's name I pulled my hand away like the blouse was on fire.  LOL

• Love 14
On 10/3/2018 at 1:17 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sorry for the exact same copy and paste, but I wanted to share:

I hope you all don’t mind me sharing this milestone: Four years ago today I had my right boobie lopped so that I could murder the cancer that was traveling and growing inside me. It was just about now that I was in recovery. I can’t bekieve it’s been four years, which generally, isn’t very long, but it is for me. I can remember every single detail of that day. What stands out most is me assuring my mom I’d be okay right before the anesthesia knocked me out, as she teared up and kissed my forehead. 

When I came to and I saw my parents, my dad told me she cried the entire four and a half hours, even though my OBGYN came periodically to let them know everything was going well. The reason I bring it up is because my mother otherwise is not emotional unless it has to do with my health and surgery is involved. 

Anyhoo, four years strong and in remission. Even though fucking chemo changed my hair so that I no longer have the thickness I once did. I know, I know. I should be grateful I’m still alive and relatively healthy. I can’t help it. My hair was the only thing I was vain about.????

Yep I know of what you speak.  I loved my hair, that was my feature.  But a 6 month stint in the hospital ruined it. Never the same again.  From all the meda they pump you with.  I kept getting my hair cut more and more, but it would regrow and still have that same texture feeling with it.  But on a good note, congratulations to all sharing their good news, I'm very happy for y'all!

• Love 2

Sorry about the double post but I wanted to reply to this and the discussion was getting off topic.  MaggieMay said:

My BFF were on our way to Kenya and laid over in Atlanta. We couldn't believe all the metal cases at check in and thought they were musical instruments......but still confused as they were similar in size.. On the flight we were seated between the Great White Hunter and a missionary. I was (kind of) the lucky one. A very long 17 hour flight. The hunters really bothered me -especially on the safaris even though they  weren't a part of it, of course. And do to this day.

My friends, the hunters with the house full of dead animals down the street, justified their African safari by saying that the meat was donated to the locals.  I'm not sure if it's true that this is the usual practice, but that's the story.  And then they posted pics posing with their kills on Facebook.

12 hours ago, Haleth said:

My friends, the hunters with the house full of dead animals down the street, justified their African safari by saying that the meat was donated to the locals.  I'm not sure if it's true that this is the usual practice, but that's the story.  And then they posted pics posing with their kills on Facebook

Blergh. I would unfriend them so fast.

I can't stand to see yucky stuff on Facebook.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1

God, this is so morbid, and sometimes I curse my memory, but it suddenly hit me today: last year, on this day, at this time, I was in the ER, fearing I was hemorrhaging to death. Scariest five hours of my life. And I'm even wearing the same sweater I was that day! The jeans? Well, I told the doctors they could trash it. I'd much rather have fonder memories running through me brain, to be honest.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

God, this is so morbid, and sometimes I curse my memory, but it suddenly hit me today: last year, on this day, at this time, I was in the ER, fearing I was hemorrhaging to death. Scariest five hours of my life. And I'm even wearing the same sweater I was that day? The jeans? Well, I told the doctors they could trash it. I'd much rather have fonder memories running through me brain, to be honest.

I hate when that happens!!!

58 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

God, this is so morbid, and sometimes I curse my memory, but it suddenly hit me today: last year, on this day, at this time, I was in the ER, fearing I was hemorrhaging to death. Scariest five hours of my life. And I'm even wearing the same sweater I was that day! The jeans? Well, I told the doctors they could trash it. I'd much rather have fonder memories running through me brain, to be honest.

So glad you are better this year....may 2019 be healthy & happy for you.

• Love 7

How's this for a possible distraction, or maybe a smile

Maestro, please cue the music .......

These jean's were made for walkin'

And that's just what they'll do.

One of these days your jean's are gonna splooge all over you......

1 minute ago, Vixenstud said:

No you didn't go there with Patches!  Loved that song when I was a kidlet, remember Strokin'?  

"Patches, I'm depending on you son,

to pull us through,  

my son,  it's all left up to you.  ........"

That's all I got, right now. 

I love the sad talking in that song too. A heart wrencher.

Give me some  lyrics ftom Strokin' . 

• Love 2