Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E23: The Melody Lingers On

I don't think they'll go there with Caleb (CAleb). Just like I don't think they would go there with any of the four girls. Mostly because I don't want it to happen. But also because Caleb has consistently been written as the best boyfriend. He's got no motive. And even in scenes without the liars, he's still there backing them up. (HIs confrontation with Ali.) Also...if his show wasn't cancelled, he wouldn't even have been on the show. 

My bigger concern is that he ends up dead. But the show's done enough to Hanna. Let her get married to the best BF ever. She's earned it. 

And I LOVE his relationship with the other three girls. Having him and Spencer get closer has been one of the best decisions the show has had. They've got a great chemistry. My heart cannon is that they end up being Benson/Elliot 2.0. (Lack of anger issues for Caleb..and obviously Spencer would end up looking a lot like her mother). I'd watch those two solve crimes all day. But there's also been some interaction with Emily and Aria throughout the series that have made me love that too. There's a protective older brother interaction with Caleb and Emily. And then he shit talks people with Aria. 

It's just good to see a show do an "ideal boyfriend" right. Don't screw it up. 

The episode..interesting enough. Loved the interactions with the characters. I actually have some hope as to this show wrapping up well. 

• Love 3

I don't think they'll go there with Caleb (CAleb). Just like I don't think they would go there with any of the four girls. Mostly because I don't want it to happen. But also because Caleb has consistently been written as the best boyfriend. He's got no motive. And even in scenes without the liars, he's still there backing them up. (HIs confrontation with Ali.) Also...if his show wasn't cancelled, he wouldn't even have been on the show. 

That is the exact reason why I don't think Caleb is A. Even with all the plot holes, I believe the writing team does know who the ultimate A is and have for quite some time. They never would have tried to spin off Caleb's character if they were going to need him to play a major part as the villain on the mothershow. Personally, I'm hoping Aria will end up being the ultimate A because I think it's the only way her character will ever be interesting.

• Love 2

I've never understood the Aria as A theory...why do people think she's A, besides all of this starting once she got back from Iceland? 

Did anybody besides me notice dead Miranda sitting in the courtroom? 

Who is Miranda? I did notice the sorta twins, but I forget their names.

I certainly don't think Caleb is Super A - I just think there's a possibility that he's been on the A team at some point since he came back to Rosewood - and if so, that it'll turn out to be like Toby all over again ("I was just doing it as a double agent!"). I agree there's never been some master plan dating back to S1 to have that particular twist, since anything and everything that is happening on PLL these days is really just filler until they get to the final 12 episodes of the series, when MK can finally pull the trigger on her endgame arc. But TB's show is actually kind of an argument for the CAleb twist: They didn't plan on having him around, but here he is and they have to give him something to do - they liked him enough to give him a spinoff of his own, so they must like him enough to want to keep him (plus, the Haleb fanbase). And on his end, after Ravenswood, he probably doesn't want to go back to just being the supportive boyfriend in a secondary role. It's boring and relatively thankless for him to play. Fans like Caleb that way, but it's not interesting material for an actor to begin with and he's been doing it for multiple seasons, so it has to be really boring now, especially after having experienced being a lead on a show of his own. So I can see them giving him CAleb because it'll make him happy and help fill airtime.

The only thing is, I think what they gave him this season was to be a fifth liar. 

Also, one of the best things about the character is his understanding of the girls relationship. His whole talk about how Hanna told him to go away, but he knew it meant she wanted the other three and him to escape. And how those girls were like vikings. :D

Edited by mercfan3

To be honest, I attribute Aria acting suspicious on a combo of her being rarely implicated in the A events (which draws attention to the times she is) and Lucy Hale's acting. I think Aria is the least likely to be reveAled because she is the favorite character of a significant part of the viewers - one of the most vocal and volatile target audiences to boot. On one hand, I'd say the show (the executives, at least) is way too fan-pleasing to have Aria be A. On the other hand, with the brain power of tweens, there is the risk that they would stick with AriA and go #TeamA, which would be sickening and I hope the show runners would not intend.

I also don't think that Caleb will die. AFAIR, no fan favorite died. Game of Thrones this ain't.

Who is Miranda?

Miranda is the Ravenswood girl who Caleb left with. I did not notice her in the episode. That is a weird cameo...

Edited by Crim
  • Love 1

AFAIR, no fan favorite died.

Come on now, Ian was a fan favourite. Well, at least my favourite. Best villain the show by mile. I raise my glass of milk to him!

They should just have Mike testify about Mona planning to fake her death.

It's rather annoying that the Liars are afraid the police will arrest Mike if he testifies, never mind that Jason and Alison's father (IIRC) lied about her alibi and suffered no repercussions whatsoever.

And on his end, after Ravenswood, he probably doesn't want to go back to just being the supportive boyfriend in a secondary role. It's boring and relatively thankless for him to play. Fans like Caleb that way, but it's not interesting material for an actor to begin with and he's been doing it for multiple seasons, so it has to be really boring now, especially after having experienced being a lead on a show of his own. So I can see them giving him CAleb because it'll make him happy and help fill airtime.

Not that we need any more evidence of how inept those writers are, in my opinion, but this would be a terrible move. There are plenty of ways of adding depth to characters and expanding the roles of the actors who play them without having to go all out and making them mustache twirling villains.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe

I don't see Caleb as nothing more than Hanna's boyfriend. He really is more like a fith liar, he's kind of the rock the girls kann fall back on. He's calm, he's smart and he has no real history with Alison which makes him more objective. He keeps his cool and tries to be logical about everything, which is something the girls could really use.

I really do hope he really is this great guy and they don't make him into one of the bad guys. I'd really like him to be the one regular guy on the show who is not creepy or anything..

It would make sense in a way to have him reveAled in the finale, even if he isn't really on the A team. He is the only boyfriend/girlfriend who has never seriously been suspected of being on the A team. Except for that business with Jenna at the beginning he has always been the great guy. Even Paige was more suspicious. It would make sense if he was next, just because every other liar has had her Partner be suspected. It would probably be a good filler for the first half of the next season lol.

My money is still ob Andrew being the new 'villain' though.

I went back to the court room scenes, but I didn't see Miranda. Where did you see her?

I was wondering, if the prosecution thinks Ali killed Mona because she knew the truth, that Ali wasn't kidnappend, how did they reach that conclusion? What evidence do they have that Ali wasn't kidnapped, that Cyrus was lying, that Mona knew the truth? And what do they think Ali did those years, why did she run away, why did she come back? I'm really confuses, did Mona give the police some kind of evidence? Rosewood cops are usually not that bright...

• Love 2

Please don't let Caleb be A! Please! He and Hannah are the only really solid couple left! 

Anyone here watching The Walking Dead? There was a scene in the most recent episode where someone gets an A stamped on their hand, and all I could think was "Oh my God! A survived the zombie plague! A is the mastermind behind everything!" 

• Love 4

I've never understood the Aria as A theory...why do people think she's A, besides all of this starting once she got back from Iceland? 

AriA sprung up mostly for meta-reasons, because at least in the early seasons (i) Aria was never the victim of any A shenanigans, (ii) A actively helped Aria by discrediting that guy who threatened Ezria with exposure if he didn't get an A on his paper by planting a test in his locker, and (iii) Aria's entire portion of the plot seemed weird and disconnected from the mystery, and in a mystery extraneous characters are pretty suspicious (as we saw with Nate).  I don't think it'll go down that way... and, in-universe, Ezra was aware of A and also had a reason to discreted that guy in (ii), so that might actually have been him.  The funny thing is, it most likely does show at least a modicum of integrity on Ezra's part-- the easiest thing for him to do would have been to hand out an A so he could maintain his access to Aria and the other girls who, at the time, were his book subjects.  That he's the sort of guy who is willing to sleep with a high school student as a false pretense to get closer to her and her friends so he can write a book on them, but apparently truly respects the sanctity of the high school grading process, is one of those quirks that only makes sense to Marlene King.  

• Love 3

It's rather annoying that the Liars are afraid the police will arrest Mike if he testifies, never mind that Jason and Alison's father (IIRC) lied about her alibi and suffered no repercussions whatsoever.

That's not what they are afraid of.

They are afraid A will target Mike if he testifies. Which was reaffirmed when A would have killed him if Aria wasn't the one to step on his equipment. 

That's not what they are afraid of.

They are afraid A will target Mike if he testifies. Which was reaffirmed when A would have killed him if Aria wasn't the one to step on his equipment. 

How exactly does this reaffirm it? He didn't testify and there was still an attempt to murder him, so what does he have to lose? Moreover, why would Mike be fine with Hanna taking the fall for Mona's murder? I doubt he is convinced Hanna did it. How much time needs to pass before the Liars learn that appeasement doesn't work with A? Heck, Spencer actually pointed out why appeasement doesn't generally work back in way 1.15, and in any event they constantly go against A's wishes...unless the plot requires them to get scared and refuse to do so, so their behavior in that respect is annoyingly inconsistent.

And Aria at least thinks the authorities might punish Mike, that was why she so "subtly" asked Veronica about hiding information from the police.

That he's the sort of guy who is willing to sleep with a high school student as a false pretense to get closer to her and her friends so he can write a book on them, but apparently truly respects the sanctity of the high school grading process, is one of those quirks that only makes sense to Marlene King.

That totally makes sense to me, actually. Being immoral in some respects doesn't mean you don't have any standards whatsoever. Plenty of evil bastards are also consummate professionals and sticklers for the rules in their jobs.

• Love 2
Really what evidence is there against Ali?

There's actually more evidence against Hannah isn't there? Hannah's blood on something and her being at that storage locker acting suspicious.....? Which is not great evidence but it seems to be more than they have an Ali.  Plus she could also be the blonde in the video.

There are two As in her name?

How exactly does this reaffirm it? He didn't testify and there was still an attempt to murder him, so what does he have to lose?

Exactly, what do any of them have to lose? A has been torturing them for years and has no plans to stop.  Plus, why should Mike be protected over Hannah and Ali going to prison. I can maybe see thinking Ali deserves prison because she's done so many terrible things, but Hannah hasn't. 

And Aria at least thinks the authorities might punish Mike, that was why she so "subtly" asked Veronica about hiding information from the police.

Yeah, but she said she was more worried about A.  But honestly, Mike was going to help Mona fake her death and he actively chose to lie to the police.  If he's in legal trouble it's because he made that choice.  It's not like he's an innocent being set up be A.

• Love 1

I was wondering, if the prosecution thinks Ali killed Mona because she knew the truth, that Ali wasn't kidnappend, how did they reach that conclusion? What evidence do they have that Ali wasn't kidnapped, that Cyrus was lying, that Mona knew the truth? And what do they think Ali did those years, why did she run away, why did she come back? I'm really confuses, did Mona give the police some kind of evidence? Rosewood cops are usually not that bright...

If I remember right, Aria said something about how the police must have found Cyrus and he confessed that Alison was lying, so unless I am wrong, that the working theory at the moment.  Of course that doesn't really work because Cyrus's confession would actually get him less prison time compare to the lie, so there is no way anyone would believe his testimony.  Even if the prosecution had witnesses that supported what Cyrus was saying, there is no way a jury would convict Alison based on that.  I am not trying to be cynical but if Alison got up the stand and said everything she did while she was missing was because Cyrus told her to and she was scared of him, some if not all of the jurors would have reasonable doubt about convicting her.  So I don't know if the prosecution is going to pull some damning piece of evidence out of nowhere or the writers are just going to hand wave and expect us to believe that the evidence against Alison is overwhelming.  Either way I am not expecting much in the way of courtroom drama from next episode.

Yeah, but she said she was more worried about A.  But honestly, Mike was going to help Mona fake her death and he actively chose to lie to the police.  If he's in legal trouble it's because he made that choice.  It's not like he's an innocent being set up be A.

Honestly that whole story line feels like the writers trying to keep the same feel to show as the early seasons, when the girls were trying to keep their personal secrets from getting out, but the show has gotten so over the top at this point, the lairs not going to the police really makes no scene no matter how I look at it.

Still don't understand Ali. The actress must be so confused at how to play the role. She does a good job considering Ali is all over the shop.

Aria is growing on me. I have actually liked her for the past few weeks, whereas in the past she's always been my least favourite. A little tweak in the writing to make her relevant to the investigation has worked. They have isolated her with Ezra too often in the past.

I don't think Lucy Hale always does heavy drama well, but she can pull off a certain type of comedy. The shopping line was one of the funniest I have seen on this show. I salute the writer who slipped that in. It's fun to giggle at the silliness of the show.

Aria's outfit...I just...!  Did A make her wear it like she made Hannah eat the doughnuts that time?  Surely that was a little visual joke to amuse us. Her sleeved blue dress was cute though.

I think Lucy Hale has a great sense of humor. She was awesome in the little role she got on HIMYM as Robin's sister.

But I have to disagree with you there about drama, as I loved her meltdown over Ezra dating Ali last season. Not the ski lift scene, obviously that was ridiculous and very Aria. But when she goes to school looking crazy to find Ezra, and then she goes to his apartment and starts tearing the place down. I thought her acting there was pretty awesome.

But it was also brilliant from the writers' side, that she wouldn't be heartbroken in a totally crushed way, but in a rather awesome angry HOW THE F DID THAT BITCH GET THERE FIRST? I mean, dating her teacher was her Thing from day one. And to find out not only that Ezra has been spying on them since they met but that he dated Alison first...  Too bad they brought them back together. I could live with Ezra working towards a redemption, I could even go with Aria sleeping with Ezra when she feels like it. But being in a legit relationship again so soon is the worst thing the writers did for her character. It just shows that she has absolutely no agency.

I'm glad she's been upping her game the past few episodes, but I just really hate how it was Ezra who "Let Her Go".

I don't know, Aria's character has always been my least favorite, but I still find it the trickiest, and maybe the most realistic.

• Love 2

The first time I ever watched the show I actually liked Aria best. Then I went back and rewatched the first two seasons and kind of hated her. Hate is maybe too strong, but she is always so quick to judge other people, so sure of herself and so preocupied with her own silly love life, it's so annoying.

I didn't care much about the new break up, I did like an Ezra free episode though. Although I did expect Ezra to show some interest in the trial. After all the time and effort he put in over the past seasons spring and everything, he's awfully boring and useless now.

Miranda is the Ravenswood girl who Caleb left with. I did not notice her in the episode. That is a weird cameo...

I'm nearly 100% positive it was her.  During Jason's testimony, there was a point when everybody turned to stare at Ashley in the courtroom.  Nicole Anderson (Miranda) was in that quick scene.

I don't remember the exact quote and unfortunately I already deleted the episode, but when Andrew was talking about Mona, he used the word "is" and not "was." He knows she's alive.

I think that, originally, it stemmed from A not really targeting  Aria, or when A did, it would be things that were sort of what Aria might actually want. A protected Ezra and Aria from Noel exposing their affair, A 'forced' Aria in to blackmailing Jackie to leave Hollis. A revealed Byron's affair that he'd been pressuring Aria to keep secret.

There are a few things that are sort of meta "confessions". Mona calling Aria "Big A". The scene where Aria "confessed" to one of the moms that she was "A".

That her family has a history of mental illness and Aria's been shown having vivid hallucinations several times in the series.

There's an interesting one, though it's probably just some sort of prop error where Aria was shown writing in her journal about something that happened to Hannah, but it wouldn't actually happen until the next episode. If it was intentional, it's obviously a huge smoking gun that Aria would know what A was going to do to Hannah before it happened.

There's a bunch of minor things that could easily mean nothing or just be the result of bad writing, but are kind of interesting.

I don't think it will actually happen, but I do think it's kind of interesting. You can probably make lists for the other girls as well, but it's a little more fun with Aria since she is, otherwise, probably the dullest of the Liars.

• Love 3

The girls try to get into Mona's house, can't, then hear the music of doom and force their way in.  I literally said aloud "stop being led around by the noses!"  Seriously dumb dumb dumb.  A taunts them with that music over the phone, then lures them into Mona's room with it.  I half expected the Admiral Akbar "It's a Trap!" meme to be hanging on the wall of Mona's room.

The idea that Cyrus is the prosecution's new source of information about Ali is laughable.  This is the guy who is a wanted fugitive for supposedly kidnapping her.  "Yeah, that underage girl who ID'd me as her kidnapper was totally faking it the whole time."  Completely plausible.  Unless he has some srious evidence against her stored up somewhere, like tangible proof, no one would find him credible.  I don't know Pennsylvania law, but surprise witnesses and surprise evidence isn't usually allowed from the prosecution -- anything Cyrus says or any evidence he provides would have to go to the defense team before hand.

I noticed that, shortly after Ali became familiar with the concept of reasonable doubt. ("Only one, huh"), the camera lingered on a male 20-something juror.  I'm guessing Ali has something cooking behind the scenes to seduce / blackmail / whatever that guy into hanging the jury.  Or A is going to do it and next year we'll have Ali in trouble for jury tampering or some other pointless plot cul-de-sac.

I'm really hoping this show gets canceled soon so they can go into their alleged 12-episode finale plan, because much more of this and the only explanations that will work for A are:

1.  Vast government conspiracy

2.  Extraterrestrials

3.  Literal Satan.

Edited to add:  Regarding the anagramatic name, I think we'll find  out that that person is Mrs. DiLaurentis's murderer, and it will have nothing to do with the main plotline.  He killed her because she was serially cheating and he got fed up with it.  Maybe Mona found out and he killed her too.  It's cousin Nate all over again.

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 2

For me the most annoying thing about this episode was that gawdawful cover version of Depeche Mode's "A Pain That I'm Used To".  If the show had just used DM's original recording, it would have been a very effective powerful underscore but instead because it sounded like really bad karaoke with an especially wimpy vocal, it had the exact opposite effect and totally took me out of the scenes.

• Love 1

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments, thoughts, theories and general opinions.  I had not noticed any recent comments on the relationship between Caleb and Hannah.  It seems as though all the guys and girls became more like best friends than boy and girl friends.  They used to be so physical and loving and caring about each other.  Now the caring is still there but it's more like a close friendship than a love relationship.  For example, when Caleb came to Hannah's house to tell her that the police were on their way to arrest her, there was no loving hug and kiss as he came in the door to give her major bad news, and there were no reassuring hugs after he had told her the bad news. What the heck?!  Hugs should have been absolutes with that! We've seen them together a lot over the last season, but where's the fun and teasing and hugs and kisses and all that we had in Season 1?  I loved the old twinkle eyed Caleb who was so delighted with Hannah.  I know he had to have been changed by his experiences at Ravenswood, but even when he first came back and was so badly traumatized, he held Hannah and kissed her. I recognize that PLL has gotten seriously dark and that that atmosphere might influence the relationships to some extent, but I would hate to see them ending up really close friends, and with Caleb just being the big brother the rest of the Liars never had.  Oh, and for Pete's sake, let's not have a Caleb/Spencer romantic relationship just to confuse things (even more) and add filler material.

I haven't seen "The Melody Lingers On" yet so I don't have anything to say about it but I was very interested in what everyone said in comments about other episodes with all the ridiculous research mistakes the writers had made in the science, law, timing and so on. It gets really frustrating.  The lawsuits in Rosewood that would have come from all the dumb things that happened on that show would need a whole separate season to cover!

• Love 2
I'm really hoping this show gets canceled soon so they can go into their alleged 12-episode finale plan, because much more of this and the only explanations that will work for A are:

1.  Vast government conspiracy

2.  Extraterrestrials

3.  Literal Satan.

Until we get an actual answer, I've decided that A is Abaddon from Ravenswood. 

• Love 1

Until we get an actual answer, I've decided that A is Abaddon from Ravenswood. 

Yeah at this point the only way A can explain his omnipresence, teleportation, and ninja powers is by not being human. I'd say it's God unleashing wrath over bitches and bullies (bitches get buried).

I always have this parody storyline in my head where Vampire Bill Compton from True Blood turns out to be A and Aria falls in love with him and then they go on their own spinoff as the two most self absorbed characters in TV history!

For me the most annoying thing about this episode was that gawdawful cover version of Depeche Mode's "A Pain That I'm Used To".  If the show had just used DM's original recording, it would have been a very effective powerful underscore but instead because it sounded like really bad karaoke with an especially wimpy vocal, it had the exact opposite effect and totally took me out of the scenes.

Ack!  Turns out i was more right than i realized when i posted this!  Turns out the recording they used is actually from a karaoke disc from Ameritz Karaoke!  Yikes - if they're using karaoke tracks for their soundtrack, methinks they're dealing with some budget cuts probably due to their lower ratings.

(edited)

Ack! Turns out i was more right than i realized when i posted this! Turns out the recording they used is actually from a karaoke disc from Ameritz Karaoke! Yikes - if they're using karaoke tracks for their soundtrack, methinks they're dealing with some budget cuts probably due to their lower ratings.

Haha, I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this! It's terrible but hilarious. Or hilarious but terrible? Edited by ElectricBoogaloo