Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Some people just have a higher tolerance for horror.  I have heard church choirs that are absolutely ear-bleedingly bad, and someone always makes a big production on how wonderful they are.  I still suspect the lady that had tears in her eyes while talking about how wonderful the choir was actually had tears for other reasons.  I'm sure this is the case when the Rods sing.  Either people really can stand a lot of torture, or they really don't know the difference.  Maybe they hear this quality of music on the regular. (What a sad thought.)

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Interesting that BME likes “watching” them sing! 🤣😂

60CA755E-513F-4BD5-80FD-B14A0C98BC13.jpeg

And according to Jill, Nurie was in labor. I bet she hit the high notes. 

And everybody clapped because they were done. And all twenty people could hear again.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

the high tolerance is a real thing - my in-laws, way back bought yearly "theater" tickets for the season for many years and each married couple got gifted dinner at a crappy restaurant and then a show. We once were the lucky couple to get stuck with Peggy Lee(who never got up from her cushioned chair) once Jim Nabors and a very unfortunate version of 42nd st.  We always wrote it off as it was one evening in life. but oh it was painful.

Jill Rod, I think, hopes for bigger gigs/better grifting, but since they will only go to KJV only venues and even then Jill skewers many of the churches for "losing their way" women in pants etc they are limited.

• Love 11

I have read some of the Bridgerton books and there is a running joke about the Smythe Smith Quartet, comprised of various family members playing music horribly. People do everything they can to avoid the concerts but sadly some get roped into it. They even have their own offshoot series. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

the high tolerance is a real thing - my in-laws, way back bought yearly "theater" tickets for the season for many years and each married couple got gifted dinner at a crappy restaurant and then a show. We once were the lucky couple to get stuck with Peggy Lee(who never got up from her cushioned chair) once Jim Nabors and a very unfortunate version of 42nd st.  We always wrote it off as it was one evening in life. but oh it was painful.

Ms. Lee was just making sure that when you left the theatre your first thought was "is that all there is?"

• LOL 8
14 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Why HUNK never sings? I’d pay $ to hear HUNK serenade his Jillzilla 🤣🤪😭.  

He might surprise us with some real talent. Could you imagine if he opened his mouth and out came George Michael or Freddie Mercury?!? He’d steal all Jill’s thunder and I’d be here for it.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • LOL 24
5 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Can HUNK play instruments? I don’t think I ever seen him perform. As the headship I’d expect him front and center working for $. I mean Jill says he has a million jobs performing isn’t one of them 😂

I imagine he's the one with the camera recording them when all of them - including Jill - are onstage.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m at my desk holding in laughter at the thought of Bev Keane JillR belting out her best notes and only receiving a golf clap 😂

She hears roaring applause and encore is my best guess. Jill is a special person… 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Jill Rod, I think, hopes for bigger gigs/better grifting, but since they will only go to KJV only venues and even then Jill skewers many of the churches for "losing their way" women in pants etc they are limited.

Not only that, but (a) David isn't a good preacher and (b) if anyone in the family has real musical talent it's submerged in their (at best) mediocre group performances. My understanding of how that IFB world works for those traveling families, is that the husband/father needs to be a good preacher, and thus in demand, and it rounds out the picture if the family can put on good musical performances, and then the wife/mother can be front and center doing motivational inspirational speeches to women. Remember, in the IFB world women are NOT ever preachers.

The Rods just don't have a lot going for them. But Jill's still working to make success happen anyway. Didn't she post recently that they're going to record a CD at a professional studio? 

Not to drift too far from the topic. But. The other day I visited the FB page of the church in Alabama which Jill identified as the location of a future appearance. That led me a bit down a FB rabbit hole of IFB churches and the people who travel around visiting them. There's one 50ish or 60ish guy who's traveling the IFB church circuit to get sponsorships (i.e., money) for the mission he's been "burdened" with. This man's mission is to travel overseas to bring the gospel of Jesus to the people of: Ireland. No. I didn't make that up. I had to look twice to be sure I'd read it correctly.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 18
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Interesting that BME likes “watching” them sing! 🤣😂

60CA755E-513F-4BD5-80FD-B14A0C98BC13.jpeg

A. Precious MAMA didn’t snag a front row seat? I’m shocked she didn’t shove someone out of their front row seat and use her injured knee as an excuse 😂👋🤪😭🙄.

B. The girls are terrible more like 5 year olds or a herd of hungry cats.

• LOL 7
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Not to drift too far from the topic. But. The other day I visited the FB page of the church in Alabama which Jill identified as the location of a future appearance. That led me a bit down a FB rabbit hole of IFB churches and the people who travel around visiting them. There's one 50ish or 60ish guy who's traveling the IFB church circuit to get sponsorships (i.e., money) for the mission he's been "burdened" with. This man's mission is to travel overseas to bring the gospel of Jesus to the people of: Ireland. No. I didn't make that up. I had to look twice to be sure I'd read it correctly.

Uh, the Irish already have Him and the Gospel, but of course they are mainly Catholics and that isn't good. 🙄

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

There's one 50ish or 60ish guy who's traveling the IFB church circuit to get sponsorships (i.e., money) for the mission he's been "burdened" with. This man's mission is to travel overseas to bring the gospel of Jesus to the people of: Ireland. No. I didn't make that up. I had to look twice to be sure I'd read it correctly.

Oh yeah.  Missioncations.  My fundie uncle tried to rip my parents off for $5000 for his missioncation to Thailand.  Beware of anyone who gets a "calling" to go somewhere to preach where they've always wanted to go.

• Love 24
4 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The Rods just don't have a lot going for them. But Jill's still working to make success happen anyway. Didn't she post recently that they're going to record a CD at a professional studio?

well she was also having that book "published" so we shall see if either the book or cd ever really happens.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

My nephew has two cds on ITunes so it doesn’t take as much money or work as you think. 

but i think jilly means actual cd's they can sell beside her book and renee and Tessie's earrings at the grifting stops (since kaylee is courting i expect Tessie will be renee's new tween craft partner.

side note on the childishly crafted earrings - Alert Family camp held a "Trade Day" - there were pics of some girls at a booth selling earrings that looked very similar to Kaylee and Renee's wares. The difference was the girls shown selling them looked about 12yrs old.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Extra $ if he wears those tight leggings!

They call those leggings LulaShrek over on Reddit. I cackle every time.

• LOL 13
23 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Poor Janessa. She's going to be infantilized until her own menopause unless Jill can fart out one more.

Meeeeechelle has done similar with Josie.

• Love 5

Extra $ if he wears those tight leggings!

Hunk DOES sing, although he shouldn’t, ever again.  There are a few videos of him caterwauling, and he sings about as well as Timothy.  To be honest, I think that Timmy sings better than Shrek, but JillyBean still has him singing a solo every now and again.  It’s about as enjoyable as having a root canal without lidocaine. 😖

8 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Lydia and JRod: hair color JUST the way God made it.

I’m pretty sure that she’s a natural blond. Most of the Plath offspring are blonds.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

5186D879-B7B8-4F9D-9A5A-3A67BBEF7AA5.jpeg

78A64A14-44F0-4289-9684-A573B2432C0B.jpeg

JillyBean is looking rough, really rough.

A. Precious MAMA didn’t snag a front row seat? I’m shocked she didn’t shove someone out of their front row seat and use her injured knee as an excuse 😂👋🤪😭🙄.

B. The girls are terrible more like 5 year olds or a herd of hungry cats.

Precious Mama is accompanying the girls on the piano.  I have no idea who’s holding the cellphone.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Lydia's might be natural. The Plath kids look like children of the corn. Very, very blonde.

7 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Hunk DOES sing, although he shouldn’t, ever again.  There are a few videos of him caterwauling, and he sings about as well as Timothy.  To be honest, I think that Timmy sings better than Shrek, but JillyBean still has him singing a solo every now and again.  It’s about as enjoyable as having a root canal without lidocaine. 😖

I’m pretty sure that she’s a natural blond. Most of the Plath offspring are blonds.

Dunno. I see dark eyebrows and dark roots… maybe it’s just the lighting.

in any event I’m still shattered by Nurie’s clown makeup for the “girl date.”

• Love 4
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Ok your story is AMAZING and I’m jealous as hell!!

• LOL 1

Isn't Big Butt Bates getting married sometime soon? I'm looking forward to the vicious and funny snark about the dress, the food, the decor, and everything else. I'll lay odds that the first pregnancy is announced by Valentine's Day. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Isn't Big Butt Bates getting married sometime soon? I'm looking forward to the vicious and funny snark about the dress, the food, the decor, and everything else. I'll lay odds that the first pregnancy is announced by Valentine's Day. 

The wedding is tomorrow. We should have pics from Carlin by Saturday morning. 😁

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Not sure why carlin became possessive
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Tomorrow, yes. I've seen the Bates' Instagram stories, and I have to admit, everything looks really nice so far. 

Also interesting is that there was a Lauren and Bella sighting. Lauren is in Josie's stories at the rehearsal luncheon. She looks completely bored and not thrilled to be there. Bella is in Carlin's, and she's very blonde and very cute.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The wedding is tomorrow. We should have pics from Carlin by Saturday morning. 😁

A Friday wedding? Weird -- shades of Smuggars. 

Fire up the snarkmobile! Will Carlin succeed in looking stupid (again)? Will Big Butt manage to cover his namesake behind? Will Esther look as plastic as her new sisters-in-law always manage to do? Will Kelly Jo ever give Mullet a run for her money in the "I can't believe she wore that" Mother-Of category? How many Duggars will show? 

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

Duggar sightings thus far: JD, Abbie, Gracie. Joy and Austin. Lauren, Bella, Jason. Si must obviously be there, but I didn't catch him in any of the videos or pictures. Not sure who else will show.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, LilJen said:

All the Plath kids are tow heads as young kids, very blond.  I think her hair is just naturally transitioning to a darker blond as she’s aged.  She doesn’t seem to be the type to lightened her hair, unlike her sister who was kicked out, her hair is purple right now. 

Edited by Onecattoo
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Onecattoo said:

All the Plath kids are tow heads as young kids, very blond.  I think her hair is just naturally transitioning to a darker blond as she’s aged.  She doesn’t seem to be the type to lightened her hair, unlike her sister who was kicked out, her hair is purple right now. 

Ethan and Micah are still practically tow heads. However, Ethan's beard is reddish blonde. Lydia may also be enhancing her brows. She wears plenty of makeup.

1 minute ago, sheshark said:

BME may have dropped a bomb saying Lydia Plath drive down from Georgia to visit.  On the show Lydia lives with her parents in Florida.

The Plaths live in Cairo, GA. Close to the FL border; Barry works in Tallahassee.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, LilJen said:

in any event I’m still shattered by Nurie’s clown makeup for the “girl date.”

I don't think it's just the lighting. I see dark eyebrows, dark roots, and a yellowish, unnatural shade of blonde. 

I feel bad for the Rod girls, especially Nurie and Renee. A few of the younger girls will look just as bad when they're old enough. Jill uglifies her own daughters to make herself look better. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Can HUNK play instruments? I don’t think I ever seen him perform. As the headship I’d expect him front and center working for $. I mean Jill says he has a million jobs performing isn’t one of them 😂

I'm thinking he plays (his) flute

• LOL 17
8 hours ago, Onecattoo said:

Yeah, Lydia seems to be experimenting more with makeup and she’s been filling in her eyebrows (I hope she helps Tessie). She and her sister Moriah haven’t quite figured out that less is more. 

This was a Quiverfull “documentary” on them from years ago. Lydia is at 8:08. Warning: Kim Plath is the narrator 🤮

Edited by charmed1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

I don't think it's just the lighting. I see dark eyebrows, dark roots, and a yellowish, unnatural shade of blonde.

There’s a ton of pictures of them growing up as their mom made them play music and perform like so many fundys do.  Her hair was never quite as white blond as her siblings and really hasn’t changed much over the years…just getting slightly darker blond.  After 3 seasons of their show on TV, I’d really doubt she colors her hair as it’s never really changed between 15-17 years of age.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

Lydia's hair is also damaged in the way that only happens when you use cheap hair dye and forgo deep conditioning.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

JillyBean is looking rough, really rough.

Her days of being just one of the girls with her daughters are about over, but I can see a wrinkled, stooped Jill still trying to pull off "girl dates" with Janessa and Sadie. 

Why does Nurie pluck her eyebrows to practically nothing and then try to add them back with dark brow pencil? At her age, she could leave more brow and skip having to use that unflattering pencil. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Absolom said:

Oh yeah.  Missioncations.  My fundie uncle tried to rip my parents off for $5000 for his missioncation to Thailand.  Beware of anyone who gets a "calling" to go somewhere to preach where they've always wanted to go.

Preach (pun intended). I knew bible thumpers (Assembly of Dog) in Kansas who always felt called to go on missions in Las Vegas. 

• LOL 21
15 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

And I see Baby Nehemiah has a razor-sharp part in his fundie-approved BOY hairdo already. 

In all fairness, we used to part my oldest nephew’s hair like that as a newborn. We called it the Tom Brokaw.  Of course he had at least five times as much hair.

• LOL 9