Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

He may have, but he didn't stay out of medicine. I don't know what he does right now, but I'm pretty sure he worked as a medical doctor in a prison for a long time. Maybe even during some of his peak Gothard years when he was one of their honchos? I know his medical license was up to date and he was listed as the prison doc at some big facility in Oklahoma when I checked him out at one point. 

Maybe he quit at first and then realized that unless you get a tv show because you're a Gothardite, you can't support a double-digit number of kids without an actual job? 

I would think being a doctor would have been something Gothard would be tolerant of, since you can be self employed if you want to be....And you can even refrain from believing in evolution if you want to....Once you get through the initial pre-med biology classes, nobody'll notice you being a Darwin Denier if you don't bring it up yourself....

Being a prison doc makes sense. Many folks there are ripe to 'be saved'. And he would only be treating men, so no eye traps that provoke unrighteous desires that can't be fulfilled.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Being a prison doc makes sense. Many folks there are ripe to 'be saved'. And he would only be treating men, so no eye traps that provoke unrighteous desires that can't be fulfilled.

Being a prison doc also makes sense in that the folks who do that work are often not the best practitioners out there.  If you're practicing high, quality, up-to-date medicine, there are many better options out there than working in a prison.  Healthcare in the prison system is notoriously poor quality.

So, a doctor who wanted to do his own thing, who wasn't terribly concerned about maintaining the most up to date standards, who wants a lot of unsupervised 'down time' on the job to read the Bible or hold services to preach to a captive audience is going to find the penal system appealing.

The only doctor I know working full time in the prisons is a guy who was asked to leave an internal medicine residency after 2 years because he was lazy and unwilling to learn.  Internal medicine is a 3 year program, so he had no board qualifications, just a state medical license.  You cannot get hospital privileges without completing a residency and at least being eligible for board certification.  Some urgent cares, doc in the boxes will hire physicians without a completed residency.  I've had a couple of female friends in medicine who did that for a year or two while waiting for a spouse to complete their training and then going back and finishing a residency.  The prison is for the doc who cannot find another gig.

• Useful 14
  • Love 3

Was Chad's dad the doctor who told Meech and JB that their using birth control pills had caused a miscarriage? And got them involved with Gothard in the first place? 

I was nosing around Instagram this morning. Two weeks ago David Waller posted on the "davidncil" IG feed, a few photos of David and Priscilla and their kids with Nathan and Nurie, and this caption: "It was so fun to have Priscilla's brother, Nathan and Nurie stay in our home over the weekend for a visit! We enjoyed our time together!"  BTW I saw no photos - or mentions - of Jill or David Rodrigues or any of the other Rodrigues kids on that IG feed. Here's a screenshot showing my favorite comment which somehow escaped David's notice:

Screen-Shot-waller2.thumb.jpg.a21d4e8f4534ca701dd7619f3145d8b9.jpg

I wonder if David saw that comment and let it be. Heh. More likely he's busy with other things and doesn't have a lot of time to curate his Instagram feed.

Edited by Jeeves
All the words
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Was Chad's dad the doctor who told Meech and JB that their using birth control pills had caused a miscarriage? And got them involved with Gothard in the first place? 

I was nosing around Instagram this morning. Two weeks ago David Waller posted on the "davidncil" IG feed, a few photos of David and Priscilla and their kids with Nathan and Nurie, and this caption: "It was so fun to have Priscilla's brother, Nathan and Nurie stay in our home over the weekend for a visit! We enjoyed our time together!"  BTW I saw no photos - or mentions - of Jill or David Rodrigues or any of the other Rodrigues kids on that IG feed. Here's a screenshot showing my favorite comment which somehow escaped David's notice:

Screen-Shot-waller2.thumb.jpg.a21d4e8f4534ca701dd7619f3145d8b9.jpg

I wonder if David saw that comment and let it be. Heh. More likely he's busy with other things and doesn't have a lot of time to curate his Instagram feed.

No, I'm pretty sure that was some other "god first, patients last" quack. 

I hope David Waller did see that comment and left it on purpose. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

If Erin kills herself trying to build God's Army, Jana can step in, raise Erin's 5 and have her own man who works with his hands...plus she'll only need to pump out 3 or 4 of her own. 

I was thinking the same thing. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

with other things and doesn't have a lot of time to curate his Instagram feed.

I don't think Chad's father, Charles Paine, was the doctor who told JB and Michelle that birth control pills cause miscarriages.  Wasn't that the guy who was married to Teresa the doula/midwife who we've seen on the show at a couple of the births?  Didn't he lose his license for being a quack?

Charles Paine, Jr. does seem to be an MD having attended medical school at either the University of Indiana or Illinois, depending on where you look online. All those midwestern states are interchangeable anyway.  Both are good schools and it does look like he graduated.  He apparently did a family practice residency at a St. Francis Hospital, of which there are a bunch in the US, so I don't know which one.  There's one in Missouri and another in Indiana and I'd expect it might be one of those.

However, after finishing his residency, Dr Paine never became board certified in family medicine which is very odd.  It would require a written exam taken at the end of the residency and is usually built right into the curriculum.  Or, he took it and didn't pass.  In any event, the Academy of Family Medicine doesn't have any record of his board certification.  That would be a red flag to any regular practice looking to hire him and would prevent him from getting hospital privileges anywere.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 13
7 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Too bad Timbot/Kaylee were not included in a triple date with mama/papa.

Poor Nathan payed for the double date. 

Of course Nathan payed for the double date! You don't think Shrek is going to pry open his wallet, do you? He never has before... why should he start now?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Westiepeach said:

Of course Nathan payed for the double date! You don't think Shrek is going to pry open his wallet, do you? He never has before... why should he start now?

Nathan paid for the privilege of dining in the presence of the Best Mama Evah and her Hunky Hubby.  Nathan and Nurie were undoubtedly honored when Mama and Shrek told them to get their credit card ready, they were all going to dinner.

• LOL 2
49 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I don't think Chad's father, Charles Paine, was the doctor who told JB and Michelle that birth control pills cause miscarriages.  Wasn't that the guy who was married to Teresa the doula/midwife who we've seen on the show at a couple of the births?  Didn't he lose his license for being a quack?

Charles Paine, Jr. does seem to be an MD having attended medical school at either the University of Indiana or Illinois, depending on where you look online. All those midwestern states are interchangeable anyway.  Both are good schools and it does look like he graduated.  He apparently did a family practice residency at a St. Francis Hospital, of which there are a bunch in the US, so I don't know which one.  There's one in Missouri and another in Indiana and I'd expect it might be one of those.

However, after finishing his residency, Dr Paine never became board certified in family medicine which is very odd.  It would require a written exam taken at the end of the residency and is usually built right into the curriculum.  Or, he took it and didn't pass.  In any event, the Academy of Family Medicine doesn't have any record of his board certification.  That would be a red flag to any regular practice looking to hire him and would prevent him from getting hospital privileges anywere.

He's the idiot who told a girl that Gothard sexually harassed to eat a protein bar. Also his daughter Tabitha married a rapist. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

He's the idiot who told a girl that Gothard sexually harassed to eat a protein bar. Also his daughter Tabitha married a rapist. 

7 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Does Tabitha have kids? What’s the husbands name?

2 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Does Tabitha have kids? What’s the husbands name?

Her husband is Tim Robertson who was convicted of sexually assaulting a woman while she was passed out after a night of partying.  He claimed that this was during a dark period in his own life when he was involved with drugs and alcohol.  The woman was his room mate's girlfriend and worked in a strip club.  She apparently passed out face first on the bed and awoke to Robertson anally raping her.

He was given a 3 year prison sentence which was suspended and was required to register as a sex offender until 2008, when he got a pardon.  Although he initially pled guilty to the charges, he later claimed he was falsely accused.  And, of course, it was God's will that he was pardoned.

They don't have any kids as far as I know, thank goodness.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

The doctor who was married to Teresa, who is Jessa’s doula/fake midwife, lost his license because of drug abuse/addiction.  He’s not the doctor who talked JB and Michelle out of using birth control.

• Useful 5
Just now, farmgal4 said:

The doctor who was married to Teresa, who is Jessa’s doula/fake midwife, lost his license because of drug abuse/addiction.  He’s not the doctor who talked JB and Michelle out of using birth control.

It's hard to keep all the quacks straight with this bunch.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

Somewhere I got the idea that it was a Dr Wheat that gave them the birth control information.  I may be confusing him giving advise with him being the author of the book about sex that they use, but, for some reason, I thought it was the same doctor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Somewhere I got the idea that it was a Dr Wheat that gave them the birth control information.  I may be confusing him giving advise with him being the author of the book about sex that they use, but, for some reason, I thought it was the same doctor.

Now that you mention it, I think that sounds right.

• Love 3

Trace Bates has some photos from Haiti up on his Instagram account.  No blurred faces 🤬

It seems like all the comments were deleted except for those from his family.  Gee, I wonder why?

Edited by 3 is enough
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

There used to be one in Wichita, Kansas too. It's now (Ascension) Via Christi -- St. Francis, which is damned ironic considering how anti-Catholic many bible thumpers in Kansas are. (Another major hospital in Wichita is Ascension Via Christi -- St. Joseph, and there is a major Catholic university there as well. Those heathen Catholics are hard to avoid in Wichita. 🙄

Kansas might be right up the Paines' alley. I'm actually surprised there aren't more notorious fundies from Kansas. There are the Maxwells, of course, but they're near Kansas City. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Did anybody notice that Nathan (or whoever the ferret-looking engaged Bates is) is wearing a ring on the all-important finger in those photos? 

It’s a promise ring, it came up when they posted pictures of a family ski trip last year. 

Edited by SMama
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, SMama said:

It’s a promise ring, it came up when they posted pictures of a family ski trip last year. 

That's a hell of a promise ring. He might as well wear a big-ass (haha, it's Nathan) Ring Pop, and snack on it while he's posing working in Haiti. It would be about as ostentatious. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2021 at 11:32 AM, Heathen said:

Not enough attention whoring opportunities near home! Honestly, nothing they do is going to make me "happy" because they're not qualified to do shit and they're not trying it out of the goodness of their hearts. They're doing it for money and notoriety. And maybe Jesus points with their friends. 

I would buy some if they promised to use the money to learn how to speak proper English.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

There used to be one in Wichita, Kansas too. It's now (Ascension) Via Christi -- St. Francis, which is damned ironic considering how anti-Catholic many bible thumpers in Kansas are. (Another major hospital in Wichita is Ascension Via Christi -- St. Joseph, and there is a major Catholic university there as well. Those heathen Catholics are hard to avoid in Wichita. 🙄

Kansas might be right up the Paines' alley. I'm actually surprised there aren't more notorious fundies from Kansas. There are the Maxwells, of course, but they're near Kansas City. 

OK this is a weird specialty interest of mine, but Kansas used to be infamous for its religious fundamentalism. Its national association as being wholesome and all-American is really pretty recent in its history. One writer who talks about this (Thomas Frank) has famously said that at the turn of the 20th century ”the place crawled with religious fanatics, crackpot demagogues, and alarming hybrids of the two.” (Yes, I have that quote saved and ready for discussions about the historiography of Kansas's reputation. Please don't judge me. LOL) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 15
11 minutes ago, Zella said:

OK this is a weird specialty interest of mine, but Kansas used to be infamous for its religious fundamentalism. Its national association as being wholesome and all-American is really pretty recent in its history. One writer who talks about this (Thomas Frank) has famously said that at the turn of the 20th century ”the place crawled with religious fanatics, crackpot demagogues, and alarming hybrids of the two.” (Yes, I have that quote saved and ready for discussions about the historiography of Kansas's reputation. Please don't judge me. LOL) 

No judgment! I should have specified more current fundies. Kansas certainly has its history of nutjobs. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Makes me feel better about living in Texas. We are not the only state with odd people. 

Far from it. 

Topic: I have never seen a man, or a boy for that matter, wearing a promise ring on his left hand. Google informs me that promise rings go on the left hand if the wearer isn't married, but I have always known promise rings to go on the right hand no matter one's marital status. I knew a lot of the True Love Waits crowd in high school. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 8/25/2021 at 7:59 AM, ginger90 said:

E8A6214B-49DE-466A-926A-069FD8E1F1C9.jpeg

D35851D8-20EB-4D01-9E84-C5A0A89061EE.jpeg

Is that a teeny, tiny pink heart over Nathan, while Hunk gets a great, big, "I Love You"? 

Can't have anyone thinking that anyone else comes even close to being as important as Shrek (though I'm almost surprised that she didn't find a way to give Jesus first billing, given that there seems to be a hierarchy involved). Nothing like meager crumbs, though.

• LOL 6

Is Phillip the light-skinned teenage boy? The one who always looks like he's seething with rage and about to snap? He kind of scares me. 

If Nurthan didn't constantly display their married status, people might think Nuri was a heathen slut who tempted a righteous male and is now expecting a natural child. Or whatever BS language they use. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Looks like Jill coordinated pink/peach and blue outfits except for Nathan and Nurie, who didn't get the memo. 

Did they ask permission to sing in that church, or did Jill just decide the other tourists needed to hear the famous Rodrigues Family Singing Ministry? The Lord Daniel is hiding in shame.

• LOL 13
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Blurry, screenshot from a video:

BF24179B-C21F-488E-9D74-47797AB5928E.jpeg

So much pilly stretched-out polyester.

The waif smack-dab right in the middle is wearing the exact apron that my friend's grandmother, who came from Italy at 14 for her arranged marriage, never took off because she was always making "sauce".

• LOL 12
43 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Did they ask permission to sing in that church, or did Jill just decide the other tourists needed to hear the famous Rodrigues Family Singing Ministry? The Lord Daniel is hiding in shame.

That's a rhetorical question, right?

• LOL 10