Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Based on the photos, they were probably able to save on jet fuel and fly down there purely on the fumes of douchery.

This is one of the most beautifully written true statements I have ever read about these assclowns.

13 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

They’re not brave.  It’s all for show; otherwise, they wouldn’t be posting about it on SM.  People who are really in the trenches don’t humble-brag and expect a pat on the back.

+1,000,000.  People who act in a truly selfless manner do NOT need to post pictures to show other how they are acting in a selfless manner.  That turns it into nothing more than a selfish need for attention and admiration, and it makes me see red, no matter who it comes from.  

6 hours ago, quarks said:

Let me make sure I have this straight:

It's enough of an emergency to send all of them flying off to Haiti, and yet, stable enough that they can all pause for a photo opportunity and a prayer?

I really enjoyed the first picture where they are supposedly about to board a plane to a country that has once again been devastated, yet a couple of them are flashing some homie hand signals, as if they're a group of dude bros about to head off to the bar for a night of carousing......wait - bad example, never mind.  My point - that picture doesn't do justice to what they are about to encounter, but if all they're going to do is drop off some boxes of water and then head for the nearest air conditioned Chik-Fil-A, well - then, the picture perfectly matches the idiots posing for it.

• Love 19

Whatever they are doing with their muscles and their plane it is more than keyboard warriors are doing. And school boy French, even if they did speak it, wouldn't do much in Haiti, where Haitian Creole is the predominant language. "There are two distinct languages that are spoken in the whole of Haiti. The most spoken language among Haitians is Creole. The other language spoken is French. However, not all Haitians can speak French. According to statistics, only 1 in 10 Haitians can speak French. This being said, Haiti is not considered as s Francophone nation like as not all of them or not even majority of the population could actually speak the romantic French language." https://www.studycountry.com/guide/HT-language.htm

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

According to an NPR reporter on the ground in Haiti, they need more help, specifically medical help, like basic supplies, painkillers, IV equipment, etc.   If these guys are bringing the supplies they need then more power to them.  I just hope they actually help and don't hinder

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
34 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

According to an NPR reporter on the ground in Haiti, they need more help, specifically medical help, like basic supplies, painkillers, IV equipment, etc.   If these guys are bringing the supplies they need then more power to them.  I just hope they actually help and don't hinder

I have no problem with legit help, but they just rub me the wrong way. Its all a photo op for Jesus. They need to show off. Go in, don't take pictures to boast about what you are doing, just do it. The world doesn't need to know how Godly you are. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
50 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Whatever they are doing with their muscles and their plane it is more than keyboard warriors are doing.

That's assuming that their efforts don't actually make things worse - as apparently happened in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian, for instance. And, well, if this is anything like the previous American Red Cross debacle, where only a small percentage of the donated money actually made it to the victims - and I think it well might be - than they are taking donations that could have been used elsewhere for what so far seems to be mostly a photo op/fundraising opportunity and a chance to see Haiti and list another country for their fundraising efforts. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Medic Corps is a registered non-profit. How they managed this, I'm not sure. Anyway, whatever they decide to do with your donation, you can take it off your taxes. 

Speaking from unfortunate experience in cat rescue, there is shockingly little oversight of nonprofits. As long as donations are "technically" meant for the nonprofit's stated mission, almost anything goes. That's according to the office of the attorney general in my state -- yes, I went to those lengths to do something about the hoarding and financial abuse in the rescue.

Be very careful about donating to nonprofits that lack financial transparency and/or pay large salaries to executives and board members. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

the stories and pics of them in Puerto Rico with the glocks and badges, sitting in the a/c eating chick fil a and being "interviewed" for a story for media attention was cringe worthy. As was Lawson posing with his beginner first aid training certificate a while back.

It makes them feel important. I hope Haiti is a rude awakening for them. 

• Love 13

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I have no problem with legit help, but they just rub me the wrong way. Its all a photo op for Jesus. They need to show off. Go in, don't take pictures to boast about what you are doing, just do it. The world doesn't need to know how Godly you are. 

I remember calling them out on Instagram when they posted the medical history of the people they were evacuating along with accompanying pictures.  Their callous disregard for the people they claim they are helping was too much for me.  I pray they learned their lesson and don't broadcast private information again.  I was curious and looked at the old post that I commented on two years ago, and the post is still there along with the privacy violation but my comment is gone.  I'm disappointed, but not surprised.  

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Speaking from unfortunate experience in cat rescue, there is shockingly little oversight of nonprofits. As long as donations are "technically" meant for the nonprofit's stated mission, almost anything goes. That's according to the office of the attorney general in my state -- yes, I went to those lengths to do something about the hoarding and financial abuse in the rescue.

Be very careful about donating to nonprofits that lack financial transparency and/or pay large salaries to executives and board members. 

Those bolded words are very wise.

I"m sorry about your experience with that cat rescue, but I'm not surprised. I don't think most people realize that it's not all that hard to get the 501(c)(3) tax filing status with the IRS, and there's very little oversight of what those organizations do. Whether it's the quality or amount of services they perform or actual financial/tax fraud. If people are ready to do "creative" accounting and tax filings for their 501(c)(3) organization, they can get away with a lot.  IMO they run a low risk of getting caught and even if caught, of suffering any serious consequences.

So I'm not impressed with these guys and their company that IMO uses a name similar to other, more established organizations. Because gee wouldn't it be too bad if people got confused? /sarcasm 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

agree - I think they can be a help because they have a plane and also young guys able to load/unload, do the heavy lifting type stuff. They are most likely useful when they take heavy equipment to clear storm damage in the U.S since they own the machines and know how to operate them. All useful. The problem for me comes when they claim to be medics/rescuers and every pic reminds you to donate. The Mediccorps drs seem to not feel need to travel with them to Haiti.

the stories and pics of them in Puerto Rico with the glocks and badges, sitting in the a/c eating chick fil a and being "interviewed" for a story for media attention was cringe worthy. As was Lawson posing with his beginner first aid training certificate a while back.

Are they even able to transport heavy equipment with the planes they have?

• Useful 3
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Its pouring rain right now in Haiti. I wouldn't be surprised if "the team" was already at home and done with their mission.

I hope they are. It sounds like too dangerous a situation for their usual publicity-seeking type of "mission." And I hope they really did give a few hours' effort to actually HELP with something even if just carrying heavy stuff.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Haiti never recovered from the 2011 earthquake.  All that money raised (I think it was 500 million) and not much at all to show for it.  Most of it went to line the pockets of powerful (crooked) people and the people who really needed help did not get it.  And this was money donated to legit organizations like the Red Cross.  So anything donated to Medicorps (or whatever the heck they call it) could easily disappear into their own coffers.  I can see them paying for the fuel to fly over there and some cases of water/supplies, but that's it.

My husband went to Haiti for business 7 or 8 years ago.  He only stayed one night.  He was met at the airport by an armed bodyguard and did not go anywhere other than his appointment. I was never so glad as when I got his text telling me he was on the plane back to Miami.  Also, he does speak French fluently and he had a really hard time understanding people.  Even those who do speak French have a very heavy accent.

Those guys are in for a rude awakening if they think their fake badges and guns will cow anyone on the ground. Even Fox News was reporting that gangs were roaming around taking advantage of the situation. I don't think Lawson and Nathan would do well if they met up with a Haitian gang.  If they stay with the other relief groups and just transport people and supplies they will be ok, but if they venture out on their own all bets are off.

I was only in Haiti once when our plane on route to Dominican Republic, had a stopover there. This was in the 70s and I remember how poor the airport looked. Not that the DR airport was cutting edge or anything but all I can remember is thinking "that is an airport". It has since improved. We did not get off the plane. 

Yea, if they try to play big guys with guns and try to throw their weight around, they might be met with a machete or more. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Of course Lawson is still wearing his AirPods.

He's also wearing a mask (when it looks like most of the others aren't), so baby props to him? And they've blurred out the patients' faces in their Insta post. Maybe MedicCorps spent some of their donations on a PR person... 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This right here. This kills me. This woman most certainly thinks she is in the hands of capable medical professionals. Not two uneducated douche bags with hero syndrome.

image.png.17b4e4775cd4659d68051bd10a2ae8bf.png

That picture really bothered me. I only hope her injury wasn't extensive and would be something most people with first aid training could handle.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This right here. This kills me. This woman most certainly thinks she is in the hands of capable medical professionals. Not two uneducated douche bags with hero syndrome.

image.png.17b4e4775cd4659d68051bd10a2ae8bf.png

I see they are now blurring the faces of the people they are helping.  I guess it's a step up from their Bahamas posts, but still terribly invasive.  That poor woman's whole life has been blown up and she needs actual compassionate care, not some asshole wearing airpods with little to no training all while another asshole is taking pictures of her.  

• Love 8

so here is my take on the bates boys and their group;  I am sitting here in a decent home with a/c and plenty of food and clothes to wear. i am in no position to stand in judgement of this group because they are out there actually doing SOMETHIING, no  matter how misguided.  i am not there volunteering, (although i pray).  they are. so whatever comfort they can give, no matter how cheesy they may be, i am grateful they have that willingness in their heart and the ability to try. i am not blind to the showing off and self-promoting going on at the same time. but still - they went and i did not. 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I would wholeheartedly agree if the potential of them actually causing more harm wasn't there - and it is. I do not believe they showed up and said, "We have no real skills, other than muscle and a plane". 

They could be doing damage they don't realize. They could be in places where more more qualified folks should be. They could be using resources that could be used for better purposes.

I lived through a tornado. I would have loved to see Lawson and his gang show up, to help me pick through the contents of my nonexistent home, clean up downed trees and then go home, eat their own food and drink their own water. But when my husband was in a car accident, I would have been horrified if Lawson and JD tried to render care at the scene.

I just don't think they're qualified to do more than set up tents and fly in supplies. They need to stay away from folks on stretchers.

I agree with you. Yes, they can help but they aren't medical personnel. 

• Love 15
21 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I understand what you are saying, yes they are out there. I'm not sure if I can explain how I feel. It is great they are helping but the motives spoil it for me. We don't need pictures of them in prayer, or helping that woman. It seems so self serving. 

I get that they're posting pictures to solicit donations, but no. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

so here is my take on the bates boys and their group;  I am sitting here in a decent home with a/c and plenty of food and clothes to wear. i am in no position to stand in judgement of this group because they are out there actually doing SOMETHIING, no  matter how misguided.  i am not there volunteering, (although i pray).  they are. so whatever comfort they can give, no matter how cheesy they may be, i am grateful they have that willingness in their heart and the ability to try. i am not blind to the showing off and self-promoting going on at the same time. but still - they went and i did not. 

We can send money to legitimate aid groups, though. Far more useful than going ourselves when we have little to offer 

• Love 22
19 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

We can send money to legitimate aid groups, though. Far more useful than going ourselves when we have little to offer 

Or if you have the time and are capable of doing heavy-lifting, you can join an already established legitimate aid group and work with them.  Medic Corps is not doing anything special that no one else is doing.  The only reason the Bateses and Duggars formed this charity is greed and pride.  

• Love 22
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I would wholeheartedly agree if the potential of them actually causing more harm wasn't there - and it is. I do not believe they showed up and said, "We have no real skills, other than muscle and a plane". 

4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I agree with you. Yes, they can help but they aren't medical personnel. 

I just don't think they're qualified to do more than set up tents and fly in supplies. They need to stay away from folks on stretchers.

well, my first time doing a multi-response post.

i completely agree they are probably not medically trained beyond maybe basic first aid.  and i agree that the picture taking is inappropriate. i agree professional medics should be in charge and making those decisions.  all i was trying to say is that they went willingly to give whatever aid they could, be it carrying stretchers, unloading and moving boxes of supplies to help a ravaged country.  i am aware i can donate money but sometimes it takes human bodies to be there and aid. that's all i meant. i am here comfortable and they are in a disaster area that nobody forced them to go to. whatever their motives (publicity, financial gain, fame), they did choose to show up and help. just my opinion... 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

There are quite a few luxury resorts in Haiti and the contrast between the native population and the tourists is really something terrible. But I can guarantee there are tourists who are begging to go home between the earthquake and the tropical storms/hurricanes.

These guys should just go home and get some real training. I wonder where their "medical" advisor is, probably safe in Arkansas. Not sure how they can help in any meaningful way. It's all a grift.

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

There are quite a few luxury resorts in Haiti and the contrast between the native population and the tourists is really something terrible. But I can guarantee there are tourists who are begging to go home between the earthquake and the tropical storms/hurricanes.

Haiti was a popular tourist destination for French Canadians back in the 80's and 90's.  The resorts were cheap and as long as you were happy to stay on site, spend your days on the beach or the pool it was fine.  I don't think any of those tourists toured the island at all.  I wasn't sure how the resorts fared in the 2011 earthquake or after, but the country has definitely become more dangerous and unstable, even before the current quake situation.  

I do wonder if the Medic Corps team is staying in Haiti or flying back to Florida at the end of the day.  It's roughly a two hour flight. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

These guys should just go home and get some real training. I wonder where their "medical" advisor is, probably safe in Arkansas. Not sure how they can help in any meaningful way. It's all a grift.

By "real training," you mean their skydiving lessons? Or scuba diving? Because they've done both in the guise of disaster relief training for MEDIC Corps. 🙄

• Love 7

If I am not mistaken, and I am going off a memory from an episode years ago, but weren’t some of the Bates kids and even Duggar kids, volunteer First Aid Squad. 

I know here in NJ a lot of the First Aid Squads are volunteer and there is training that they receive in order render certain type of triage care. 

could this be what they are re doing there? I get it it’s great to snark on them etc, but if what they are doing is providing the triage care until the actual medical professionals can get to them or lessen the loads of the medical professionals so they can treat those most in need, then I am not sure why people are against that. 

yes this is their business and I get it they solicit donations etc, but they seem to be doing good…..

Edited by LuckyMommy
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

By "real training," you mean their skydiving lessons? Or scuba diving? Because they've done both in the guise of disaster relief training for MEDIC Corps. 🙄

They also just had "Swift Water" training a few weeks ago. looked like a bunch of females in the pics.

40 minutes ago, LuckyMommy said:

If I am not mistaken, and I am going off a memory from an episode years ago, but weren’t some of the Bates kids and even Duggar kids, volunteer First Aid Squad. 

I know here in NJ a lot of the First Aid Squads are volunteer and there is training that they receive in order render certain type of triage care. 

could this be what they are re doing there? I get it it’s great to snark on them etc, but if what they are doing is providing the triage care until the actual medical professionals can get to them or lessen the loads of the medical professionals so they can treat those most in need, then I am not sure why people are against that. 

yes this is their business and I get it they solicit donations etc, but they seem to be doing good…..

The issue is - it’s not clear exactly what they are doing. I think they are misrepresenting themselves and their “skills.” Donors deserve to know exactly what they do so they can decide to what organization they want to contribute their hard earned money. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 14
14 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Jana isn't there because she's got herself a man and doesn't have time for frivolous things like pretending to help brown people. 

Courting is a full time job for them which absolves them of any other responsibilities!

14 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Did Jill photoshop Nathan’s crotch???

389D4450-56D8-440F-9672-D7536E23F552.jpeg

He does normally have that just got off a horse look, but this is extreme!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3