Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

My experiences with the Amish of Geauga County Ohio has them technically eschewing modern technology.  My mom used to sell Tupperware and had a few Amish clients.  Their homes did not have electricity, but some had running water and toilets.  The local grocery stores and Walmart have buggy parking so the Amish can run in and pick up stuff.  I remember seeing regular breakfast cereal in one home. They did not drive cars, but had English friends willing to drive them to various places including yard sales.  My neighborhood up there had a huge garage sale every year and it is was common to see some 15 passenger vans roll up and a group of Amish women emerge.  They have some hard lines they will not cross, but the rest is up to them to either eschew or embrace  

I'm curious to know if the Amish working on the barndo are using power tools.  Also, who's the electrician?  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My experiences with the Amish of Geauga County Ohio has them technically eschewing modern technology.  My mom used to sell Tupperware and had a few Amish clients.  Their homes did not have electricity, but some had running water and toilets.  The local grocery stores and Walmart have buggy parking so the Amish can run in and pick up stuff.  I remember seeing regular breakfast cereal in one home. They did not drive cars, but had English friends willing to drive them to various places including yard sales.  My neighborhood up there had a huge garage sale every year and it is was common to see some 15 passenger vans roll up and a group of Amish women emerge.  They have some hard lines they will not cross, but the rest is up to them to either eschew or embrace  

I'm curious to know if the Amish working on the barndo are using power tools.  Also, who's the electrician?  

*raising hand* Geauga County resident here. Yes to everything you said about the Amish. I believe it is up to their church as to what they can and cannot do, including their buggy design and if they can or cannot use power tools.

As for the electrician? I fear it will be The Hunk. Didn't he do all the work building/wiring the new bathrooms and bedrooms in the barndo? Jilly's job is to fill it with dollar store junk.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I wonder if the Amish buy health insurance?

I live in an Amish community, and the Amish here do not have insurance of any kind, including medical.  They do, however, pay cash for any and all services rendered, medical and otherwise.  They often have to set up a payment plan with the hospital, but they make monthly payments until their bill is paid in full.  I can’t say enough good things about the Amish in my community.  They are all fine, upstanding people.  They’ve done various jobs for me throughout the years, and I buy produce and flowers from them every spring and summer and canned and baked goods throughout the year.  Everything they sell is very reasonably priced and high quality.  I’m sorry for getting off topic, Mods.

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I live in an Amish community, and the Amish here do not have insurance of any kind, including medical.  They do, however, pay cash for any and all services rendered, medical and otherwise.  They often have to set up a payment plan with the hospital, but they make monthly payments until their bill is paid in full.  I can’t say enough good things about the Amish in my community.  They are all fine, upstanding people.  They’ve done various jobs for me throughout the years, and I buy produce and flowers from them every spring and summer and canned and baked goods throughout the year.  Everything they sell is very reasonably priced and high quality.  I’m sorry for getting off topic, Mods.

I live quite near the aforementioned Geauga County in a part of Ohio that has the highest concentration of Amish in the world.  They don't believe in health insurance (or voting or joining the military, either).  Instead, they do a lot of home doctoring and folk remedies.  And, when one of them needs real care, the entire community gets together and pays the bills, cash on the barrelhead.

About 30 years ago, I knew a transplant surgeon who did a kidney transplant on a young Amish guy.  He said the guy's parents went to the hospital business office with $10K in cash in a brown paper grocery bag as down payment on the hospital bills before the surgery.

Another OB/GYN I know used to deliver babies for Amish women who had complications and needed to deliver at the hospital.  Most Amish women delivered at home with lay midwives from their community who were pretty sharp per my friend.  He had an in-ground pool as well as cherry kitchen cabinets that were payment for various deliveries he had done.  Amish love a good barter and he, of course, didn't report the income.

The Amish do have a wide variety of rules about the use of electricity and phones and other modern conveniences.  They communities are broken up into parishes, sort of, with an Amish bishop presiding over each individual group.  That bishop can make the rules as to who can have a phone, how it can be used, who can have a generator for electricity and how and when it can be used.  So, different Amish within the same area could follow different rules.  Some Amish are so strict that they cannot even have a slow moving vehicle sign (orange triangle you see on farm equipment) on their buggies because it is not plain enough.

Jill has absolutely no idea who the Amish are or what they believe.  

• Useful 9
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Yes, there are many different sects that are "Amish".  The community I am familiar with is very "old world".  They do not have telephones, they do not drive cars (or anything with a motor), they do not have window curtains (too worldly).  They do not have electricity.  I was in one general store where they rigged up a gas-powered fan. They do not use buttons on their clothing (again, too worldly).  The women close their dresses with straight pins up the front--aIways perfectly spaced and perfectly straight. They use hook-and eye-closures if straight pins won't do the job, such as on the men's trousers and shirts.  And all women and girls wear dresses and bonnets.  Smaller ones out of white net-like fabric at home or in the garden, and big black ones over the white ones when they leave home.  It is kind of odd looking to see a baby in arms wearing this huge black bonnet.  I guess that is their version of a bow for a girl.  All married men grow a long beard.  Monday is usually laundry day, and you will see clothes lines full of sheets and clothing at every farm.  They farm completely by horse. This particular group is very strict.  They are not comparable to the communities that run restaurants or gift shops. There are no billboards advertising "This way to the Amish".  Once a year they have a huge auction, which is popular with the town folks, to raise money for their school buildings, and it is quite an event.  They have a couple of general stores that local people can go to, a grocery store that I see local cars at, and you will see signs on the fences of families that sell quilts, rugs, or repair harnesses and shoes.  And a couple of bakeries. It is certainly not a "tourist stop" community, but people from the towns around will shop at their general stores. I've been going through that community since I was a small child.  My mother's family lived in the town nearby. I used to see buggies tied to parking meters in town, but for many years now they have a special lot for their use.  Can't park a horse at a meter any more.  The grocery store in town always has a buggy or two parked in their lot.  If a boy and girl are courting, they must ride in an open buggy.  You can have an enclosed buggy, or one with a top, after you are married.  They do not have church buildings.  Church is held on a rotating basis at each farm, and they wear their "Sunday Best".  Sometimes I have seen all the men in their suits in the front yard of a farm along the main road, talking together.  The women that I saw were in the house, probably cooking the lunch for the group. I have seen people from this Amish community around town more in the last few years (I usually go to Iowa once a year, but I lived in town as a child).  They can now go to the Dairy Queen and McDonalds, which was "forbidden" in years past.  But they pretty much stay to themselves and seem to be "good neighbors" with the surrounding towns.

What different Amish groups do and allow is determined by the bishop heading the group…I have a friend who is Mennonite and she married a guy who left his Amish group so she is pretty in the know…they live in keishacoquillis valley pa…there are 3 sects of Amish there …they are referred to by their buggies…the white tops are the most primitive..no lights on the buggy, cook outside, very crude dress, the women are not allowed closures on their dress so they use straight pins. They are not allowed to paint the outside of the house or barn or have flowers etc..and they pull all their teeth ..even the kids at a very young age to avoid any dental bills…I think the men wear one suspender strap and it seems like I remember the woman wore a a combination of blue and purple…the black top group ..woman has snaps on their dresses, they could paint the outside of their barn but not the house and could have some flowers..they could have reflectors on the buggies…the yellow top was the most well to do…the ladies could use snaps and zippers and buttons, the men had 2 snaps..lights on the buggies and they had appliances run by electricity..but from a gas generated …they could paint their houses and have flowers…and my friend told me the women have lingerie  parties and wear sexy lingerie under their conservative clothes…the Amish cannot borrow from banks , they must go to other Amish families…and

my own dealing with the Amish was when I worked with an herbalist in Indiana and then an organization in Ga…trying to help the women with post partum depression…babies mean workers in the field and in their businesses..so the women are expected to have a lot of kids…and those with PPD..just collapse and become non functioning…I’ve seen this more than once and it’s horrific..but I have seen some Amish husbands who really love their wives want to help them….

• Useful 9
  • Love 5

The Amish have had to adapt to certain things in order to survive. For example, phones for business, even computers. 

Jill will never adapt to anything. Once a moron always a moron. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

I live quite near the aforementioned Geauga County in a part of Ohio that has the highest concentration of Amish in the world.  They don't believe in health insurance (or voting or joining the military, either).  Instead, they do a lot of home doctoring and folk remedies.  And, when one of them needs real care, the entire community gets together and pays the bills, cash on the barrelhead.

Jill has absolutely no idea who the Amish are or what they believe.  

Might we live near each other?

The Amish and Jill do have a couple things in common. They believe in corporal punishment for children and do not encourage education beyond a basic level. I can't think of anything else. I admire certain qualities the Amish have--many of which the Rods do not. However, I don't romanticize their lifestyle. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, BradandJanet said:

The Amish and Jill do have a couple things in common. They believe in corporal punishment for children and do not encourage education beyond a basic level. I can't think of anything else. I admire certain qualities the Amish have--many of which the Rods do not. However, I don't romanticize their lifestyle. 

I think the Amish kids are probably BETTER educated than the Rodlets. In order to farm or take over a family business (or start your own), you need some solid basic education. Think about a farmer, he needs to know how much seed he needs for the dimensions of a field. Or if you have a business, you need to know about cost vs. profit. From what I have read, there is a lot of emphasis on the basics up to 8th grade, but people are not discouraged from continuing some aspects of their education in order to further a business. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
50 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I agree about not romanticizing their lifestyle. We vacationed in PA a few years back and I bought a few books on the Amish. Like everyone else, they too struggle with mental health issues. Some also experience genetic health issues from 'inbreeding'. Like any other tight knit community/organization, they are not always as carefree, nor scandal free, as many think.

With that said, just like in the rest of the world, there are many hard working, talented, honest and kind folks in their community.

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, beckie said:

Amish kids also get the chance to sow their wild oats. The Rodrigues children will never even get that.

That is true too. They take baptism very seriously. You don't want to get baptized until you are 100% sure you want to remain in the lifestyle. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Is this new living room on the other side of the shop? So, everyone will have to walk through it to get there?

It’s hard to figure out the layout of the house.

It seems like it may be off the kitchen, perhaps? In the first  picture, they’re using a crane to bring pieces to the back. The addition is behind on the left where the person is on the roof. The shop is to the right.

The second picture is from the listing, the doors were there already. 
🤷🏼‍♀️

EB87FA0B-F10B-4013-AD72-1BF5AFE12DE1.jpeg

87135FF3-8ABF-465D-A971-36284F218BCD.jpeg

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

Poor Philip looks like he could do with a good few meals! Hopefully he gets his own slice of cake. 
Also Chores! I’m surprised Jill lets her boys do chores isn’t that women’s work? Cough Cough Jill could do some chores! 

• Love 13
(edited)

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but the contrast in Jill's chubby face and her son's very lean face is so sickening.  And his skinny little chest.....  An 18-year-old male should be broadening out, not withering away.

I wonder what the kid's body fat % is.  And bone mass index.  

image.png.aee1501545fd9c6fe2540ed523077584.png

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, FizzyPuff said:

Poor Philip looks like he could do with a good few meals! Hopefully he gets his own slice of cake. 
Also Chores! I’m surprised Jill lets her boys do chores isn’t that women’s work? Cough Cough Jill could do some chores! 

That cake isn't big enough for the huge Rod crew , let alone all those church people.

I noticed that Phillip wasn't praised for being obedient like his sisters always are.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, louannems said:

That cake isn't big enough for the huge Rod crew , let alone all those church people.

I noticed that Phillip wasn't praised for being obedient like his sisters always are.

Jill also said that he does his chores and studies without or before being asked or told to do so. He's taking it a step ahead of obedience. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Jill also said that he does his chores and studies without or before being asked or told to do so. He's taking it a step ahead of obedience. 

More like flying under the radar. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but the contrast in Jill's chubby face and her son's very lean face is so sickening.  And his skinny little chest.....  An 18-year-old male should be broadening out, not withering away.

I wonder what the kids' body fat % is.  And bone mass index.  

Looking at him is painful, he is so gaunt. 

• Love 3

A friend recently posted this on Facebook. When I saw it I instantly thought of JillR, and her antics in church and at funerals. Fat chance she would respect such a request. Sigh.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-22-at-8_25.20-AM.thumb.jpg.57d915cc82cc86f72cb66f48ea67e6f8.jpg

• Love 15
(edited)

I can't believe that people record during funeral services. Well, actually I can believe it, but I don't approve! I remember about 30 years ago, how shocked my family was when the Irish sisters of my sister's mil, took photos of her in her coffin. It was shocking to us, but I think they wanted to show the family back home, who couldn't be there. I understand why some people might do that, but I've never been a fan of open caskets and prefer to remember loved ones as they were in life. I guess it takes all kinds of people to make a world. 🤷‍♀️ Unfortunately this world includes JillR front and center at funerals of people she doesn't even know!

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 12

One of my husband’s cousins would take pictures at every funeral, starting at the wake all the way to the party afterwards. This was pre cell phone era so she would actually go and pay for developing 100’s of photos. It was a bit disconcerting to see her months later and have to look at them or figure out an excuse not to. JillR seems to always be filming with her phone so I can’t imagine who she shows these funerals to. Could be just another way to call attention to herself.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

JillR seems to always be filming with her phone so I can’t imagine who she shows these funerals to. Could be just another way to call attention to herself.

I think she posts most of them on her SM either as stories which disappear after awhile, or the main feed. She's a shameless attention seeker.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I wonder what the kid's body fat % is.  And bone mass index.  

I don’t think Phillip has any body fat or muscle mass.  He looks 100% skin and bones to me.  I’ve seen cancer patients lying on their death bed who looked just like him.  It’s pitiful.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I don’t think Phillip has any body fat or muscle mass.  He looks 100% skin and bones to me.  I’ve seen cancer patients lying on their death bed who looked just like him.  It’s pitiful.

wow - so no mention of an occupation Phillip is working toward or anything? when Timbits turned 18 we got the whole long story about him being called to Godly Pilot school.

surely Phillip has been following Timbits' example of prayer and fasting for the lord to clarify his future. I predict the Lord will lay it upon Phillip's heart that he should go into the lawn service/gutter cleaning business with Timbits, buy a trailer so he can live on Mama and Daddy's property, continue traveling with the fam on the grifting tours and practice his preaching in their church on random sunday afternoons.

35 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

He looks 4-5 years younger than he really is!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

C9AB2DE0-50E0-4F0E-951B-5B2FDC66C316.jpeg

DC0021B8-7062-46F9-B39B-BE20AF470760.jpeg

ABAD0B15-5EA1-4DD2-AE7F-8B69DA1B4DC1.jpeg

That looks like the kind of cake we sell at our store that has 16-24 servings, and those are not super big servings either. With how big that family is and any other people that appear in the picture, that's nowhere near enough to feed everyone a piece of cake. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

wow - so no mention of an occupation Phillip is working toward or anything? when Timbits turned 18 we got the whole long story about him being called to Godly Pilot school.

surely Phillip has been following Timbits' example of prayer and fasting for the lord to clarify his future. I predict the Lord will lay it upon Phillip's heart that he should go into the lawn service/gutter cleaning business with Timbits, buy a trailer so he can live on Mama and Daddy's property, continue traveling with the fam on the grifting tours and practice his preaching in their church on random sunday afternoons.

Yes, she mentioned the occupation:  Ministry.  She’s also mentioned in the past that he wants to be a preacher.  The poor boy is probably fasting as I type this, hoping that God will lead him to a church that needs a pastor.

What is it with Fundies and never providing enough food? I'm reminded of that time Pris Waller threw a baby shower and had one 8x8 dish of taco dip for twenty something people. Is everyone expected to dunk one bite-sized Tostito and wash it down with a Dixie cup of punch? 

Phillip's affect is so lethargic. He can't even muster up enthusiasm for his tiny square of birthday cake.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

Yes, she mentioned the occupation:  Ministry.  She’s also mentioned in the past that he wants to be a preacher.  The poor boy is probably fasting as I type this, hoping that God will lead him to a church that needs a pastor.

my mistake Phillip has "a heart for ministry" so I should have added the lord will place it on his heart to work with daddy in the print shop and preach on random sundays in their church just like daddy. 😐

• Love 1

Did Phillip graduate from the school of JillR’s dining room table yet? It’s hard to keep track, I only recall JillR seemed to be scrambling a few months ago on “folders” for the finish of the homeschool year.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

What is it with Fundies and never providing enough food? I'm reminded of that time Pris Waller threw a baby shower and had one 8x8 dish of taco dip for twenty something people. Is everyone expected to dunk one bite-sized Tostito and wash it down with a Dixie cup of punch? 

Phillip's affect is so lethargic. He can't even muster up enthusiasm for his tiny square of birthday cake.

That is something that the Amish do well at get togethers.... feed everyone. You will not leave hungry. 

Maybe he is lethargic from lack of food? Or deep down is he tired of his dear momma making him pose? Maybe all the joy in life has been sucked out of him by the stifling life he leads and his awful parents? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 3

The Rodlets, at least the oldest half dozen have received at least the bare minimum of nutrients because they've all grown in height. The last little ones, it doesn't seem as though they're growing properly. Its like JillR is serving the same amount of food for 15 as she did for 8.

• Love 2

Phillip has a ministry heart, but is that enough? Being a minister is more than just standing in front of a group of people and reciting bible verses. Will Phillip get professional training? Does he have social skills? Can he write and deliver engaging sermons? Can he build a satisfied, unified congregation? Can he counsel people with problems? Is he willing to give his time and energy to solving problems and helping others?

Of course, he can just be a small-minded, judgmental idiot like his parents and yell bible verses at women on the streets with tattoos and accept neck massages from children. That may not be good enough for a satisfying career, but I suspect the Rodlets don't have big expectations.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, katycat74 said:

Jill just posted a bunch of videos of a bunch of them swimming/rafting in dirty muddy water..in long skirts and jeans of course....fun!!😑😑

Well, they certainly can't wear swimsuits like the hellbound heathens do!