Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
7 minutes ago, beckie said:

When I first read this I thought it was a joke because it doesn't "read" like Jill wrote it. Especially since there is no RANDOM capitalization!

The random use of punctuation gives her away.  Or, gives, her away.

I listened to a bit of Tim's preaching and, boy, does he ramble!    Lots of talk about not judging people with higher standards than yours.  I guess it is just peachy to judge those whose standards are lower.  Or, to make the initial judgment as to those standards.  No accepting everyone at face value like Jesus did, it seems.

Not that there's anything wrong with it; but Tim's speaking voice is interesting.  I don't think I'd ever heard a full sentence from him.  Aside from the marble-mouth and word salad; his voice is just a little less 'masculine' than I would expect from JRod's spawn.  I would think she would be demanding a deep, booming voice and plenty of testosterone in his speech and I just didn't hear it.  You can't tell a book by its cover, but I hope that Tim is straight; anything else would make living under Jill's thumb even more intolerable.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Rootbeer said:

I listened to a bit of Tim's preaching and, boy, does he ramble!    Lots of talk about not judging people with higher standards than yours.  I guess it is just peach to judge those whose standards are lower.  Or, to make the initial judgment as to standards.

Not that there's anything wrong with it; but Tim's speaking voice is interesting.  I don't think I'd ever heard a full sentence from him.  Aside from the marble-mouth and word salad; his voice is just a little less 'masculine' than I would expect from JRod's spawn.  I would think she would be demanding a deep, booming voice and plenty of testosterone in his speech and I just didn't hear it.  You can't tell a book by its cover, but I hope that Tim is straight; anything else would make living under Jill's thumb even more intolerable.

I read it quickly, so missed the random punctuation.

I feel sorry for Tim. If he'd been able to stay at school, he MIGHT have had a chance, but now he's stuck.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I listened to a bit of Tim's preaching and, boy, does he ramble!    Lots of talk about not judging people with higher standards than yours.  I guess it is just peachy to judge those whose standards are lower.  Or, to make the initial judgment as to those standards.  No accepting everyone at face value like Jesus did, it seems.

I would guess that his speech patterns/voice is a direct result of Jill being the single dominant influence in his life. I don't see Shrek as being much of a role model (which would probably be just as well if it didn't leave that position to Jill).

• Love 8
6 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Oh look. The money that should have gone to the kids wellbeing. 

So they’re taking the ebil governments handouts?

3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I think it’s more than a fixation, I think Jill fetishes the Amish. It is disrespectful and frankly gross.

And at the same time thinks they’re doomed because they’re not the “right “ type of Christian.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, louannems said:

I took one for the team!  Thirty-nine minutes of my early morning gone!  Three or five times I thought I had hit  replay on my tablet because Timothy simply repeats himself over and over.

He is so arrogant giving advice to "young ladies dressing inappropriately".  He says dressing inappropriately at least thirty times. 

He never actually comes out and commands young ladies to wear stretched-out paper thin, polyester floor length skirts with outlandish patterns, just like BEST mama, but implies it.

He admits he is only 21 years old but he still pushes his advice on hi audience.  Such an arrogant prick!

He still has his job, but hopes soon to be totally self-supporting with his lawn business.

I suspect at age 21, Tim is tempted on a daily basis by every young female he encounters. Of course, he thinks the women are at fault for his ungodly feelings. 

So he still has that job. Interesting.

Poor Tim--and his brothers--bring little to the marriage table. In fact, Lazy Davy and Crazy Jill as in-laws are a big minus. 

Thank you, Louannems for your sacrifice. I've tried listening to Tim ramble, but I've had to give it up. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, I bet you are right! Look at them, all fancy with their cross-promotion!

Also, who listens to a 21 year old man tell a female of any age what to wear? 

Who listens to a man of any age telling girls or women what to wear?

1 hour ago, Teriacky said:

Tim just had the most boring way of speaking. He should get a job recording sleep audios. 
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

He should get together with dull as dishwater Jessa to make it even more zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

That is what hunk was rambling on besides his anti lbgq speech. 

(edited)
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Tim is talking about "appropriate" dress because him mom was beat up on FB a few days ago when discussing it.

I also having a feeling that, as a 21-year old repressed young man, he has been feeling extremely triggered by seeing so many young women dressed for hot weather.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

I also having a feeling that, as a 21-year old repressed young man, he has been feeling extremely triggered by seeing young women dressed for hot weather.

Fortunately for Tim, he and his penis have the privacy of his camper.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Tim is talking about "appropriate" dress because him mom was beat up on FB a few days ago when discussing it.

Exactly! Jill put Tim up to doing it to "show them." He had to defend his mother. Hunky Hubby will soon be doing a sermon on modest dress. And the not Nuries will post on Facebook showing some wonderful dresses Best Momma just got them that are oh so modest. And gush over how much Best Momma has influenced them to be GODLY young women.  

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I also having a feeling that, as a 21-year old repressed young man, he has been feeling extremely triggered by seeing so many young women dressed for hot weather.

I believe that’s where that whole monster truck  tirade stemmed from. Jill probably caught Tim looking a little too long at the girls in short shorts.

4 hours ago, Heathen said:

I can't imagine any county or municipality hiring Kiefer Tim to do plowing.

Ha! He certainly is a lost boy.

I wonder if the Rods tried to pay the Amish builders with tracts. Maybe that’s why she’s been so obsessed with them lately.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Timmy is talking about the young ladies dressing inappropriately because mama's new book for girl's and young ladies will be fresh off the home printing machine soon and they need to sell.

Actually, it's in reaction to Jill getting roasted on Facebook. Unfortunately, the thread is now deleted, but Jill called in relatives to back her up in her argument. She ended up deleting all of her posts, because we all know how things go when BEST MOMMA doesn't get her way.

Shrek's sermon on Sunday touched on Jill's hurt feewings.🙄

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Actually, it's in reaction to Jill getting roasted on Facebook. Unfortunately, the thread is now deleted, but Jill called in relatives to back her up in her argument. She ended up deleting all of her posts, because we all know how things go when BEST MOMMA doesn't get her way.

It's still there. It wasn't on Jill's page. Or do you mean Jill deleted her comments? That would be right on brand for her!

Jill did delete the sheep post though, or made it friends only. :D 

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I have a feeling one of his brothers is living/spying on him 24/7

And I'm sure Mama comes barging in constantly to make sure he's not doing anything he shouldn't (which would be pretty much anything).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, charmed1 said:

I believe that’s where that whole monster truck  tirade stemmed from. Jill probably caught Tim looking a little too long at the girls in short shorts.

I figured it was that and a lot of fans drinking beer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And the friends with lower standards then expected are probably the Millers , especially their daughter with whom he had some previous facebook fight . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, charmed1 said:

If so, I hope he got a tiny bit of pleasure before best mama ever saw and nipped it in the bud.

I knew the Amish did barn raisings within their own community. Do they just randomly help anyone else needing it too?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I think it’s more than a fixation, I think Jill fetishes the Amish. It is disrespectful and frankly gross.

If she reads anything, it’s definitely cheesy inaccurate “Amish” romance novels.

7 hours ago, LadyChatterly said:

LOL, me too! As in, Sharknado. Maybe because Jill's a shark in my mind? ;)

Sharknado = deliberately awful movie. Jill’s life & Christian witness = intended to be awesome, unintentionally horrendous and horrible

• LOL 9
18 minutes ago, beckie said:

If so, I hope he got a tiny bit of pleasure before best mama ever saw and nipped it in the bud.

I knew the Amish did barn raisings within their own community. Do they just randomly help anyone else needing it too?

Some comments on Reddit say that the Amish do construction projects for pay, and they are good at it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Who listens to a man of any age telling girls or women what to wear?

Gothardites. The Duggars. Fundies.

Just now, Jeeves said:

Some comments on Reddit say that the Amish do construction projects for pay, and they are good at it. 

Yup. I live in an area with a lot of Amish, and construction is one of their biggest trades.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, lianau said:

And the friends with lower standards then expected are probably the Millers , especially their daughter with whom he had some previous facebook fight . 

You would be correct. Christiana posted about wearing swimsuits, and Jill went ballistic.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Can you give us the play by play? I missed it and I am so lost!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

In Iowa, I have seen paid Amish men building a non-Amish building in town.  They also have signs on their farms for cabinet construction and hand-made furniture for sale.  In the area I'm familiar with, which is an "Old World" community, the Amish have realized in the past several years that they need the outside community to survive.  They have become much more friendly when you meet them in a store in town.  When I was growing up, they very much kept to themselves, and didn't speak when you saw them in town.  It has opened up a little more in recent years.  I've had some good conversations with the people in their stores.  One man was so excited to find out I was from California, and had to tell me all about his trip to the Redwoods.  That would never have happened in my earlier years.  We almost always exchange waves when I pass their buggies on the road.  But they remain stedfast in their own customs and beliefs.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 10
(edited)

I'm almost 100% positive that Jill hired Amish craftsmen to build her kitchen cabinets. They are much nicer than anything else in that place.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Autocorrect strikes again!
  • Useful 3
  • Love 11

Yeah I live in DC and there are several Amish vendors at our farmers markets selling their wares. No one is snapping photos of them and writing long odes to their modesty on social media that I know of. They’ve been a constant presence as far as I can remember so no one really bats an eye. A creepy woman with over a dozen starving children in raggedy clothing would definitely turn heads though.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14

No Amish near me, but where my dad is in Missouri, a lot of the Amish do construction work for non-Amish. It's paid work. In fact, some non-Amish folks make money off driving them to and from jobs.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Zella said:

No Amish near me, but where my dad is in Missouri, a lot of the Amish do construction work for non-Amish. It's paid work. In fact, some non-Amish folks make money off driving them to and from jobs.

I forgot about that.  In the community that I know, the Amish have a list of non-Amish who will drive them on errands.  I have seen them at the grocery store--not sure why they needed a  ride.  But since they themselves cannot drive anything with a motor, they have people with cars that they have an arrangement with to take them places.  I don't know how they contact the person with the car, since the Amish do not have telephones, but they must have some system to get the hired car and driver.  They also hire drivers when then need to go to a wedding or event that is too far by buggy.

Edited by CalicoKitty
extra letter
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I forgot about that.  In the community that I know, the Amish have a list of non-Amish who will drive them on errands.  I have seen them at the grocery store--not sure why they needed a  ride.  But since they themselves cannot drive anything with a motor, they have people with cars that they have an arrangement with to take them places.  I don't know how they contact the person with the car, since the Amish do not have telephones, but they must have some system to get the hired car and driver.  They also hire drivers when then need to go to a wedding or event that is too far by buggy.

Yeah I'm not sure on the logistics. My dad briefly contemplated looking into the driving thing, but he got the impression you basically had hours waiting for them to finish up work and thought it sounded boring as shit. 

Can you imagine Jill driving the Amish?!?! They'd probably barrel out of the vehicle on a highway to get away from her. 😂

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I don't know how they contact the person with the car, since the Amish do not have telephones, but they must have some system to get the hired car and driver. 

Some of them do have telephone, especially if they run a business.  I work for a comapny that contracts with many Amish in OH, PA and IN and I would say 75% of them have phones.  They usually only use it once a day to check messages and return calls though.  Sometimes they will surprise us and actually answer.  

• Useful 8
  • Love 3

Aren't the Amish sects as diverse as Fundy sects? From shunning everything modern to embracing much of modern technology?

I'm guessing there are even some Amish subgroups that live like JillR, they talk the talk but don't truly walk the walk.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 7/20/2021 at 6:34 AM, ginger90 said:

For the last year and a half, we have not had a "real" living room.  People may think a "barndominium" should be plenty of space to turn into a house.  But you see, half the space, was for our printing ministry.  So, when we moved in, we knew we would need to build an addition (for a living room space) as soon as we could afford it.  In the meantime, we threw a couple of old couches in the print shop and called it our "living room".  😬😦  We made the best of it, with smiles of contentment....but deep in my heart, I could not WAIT for a real living room - especially with all the company we hostess at our house year round.  ❤  SO, when the Amish showed up to finally start building, I could not contain my excitement!  

**Be watching for videos / photos of the progress!  💙💙💙

8874C669-351B-4DC1-A0B5-833F85535B50.jpeg

I asked if they did it randomly because she makes it sound like they just showed up to work. Like the Rodriguii are so important that the Amish just HAD to help them out.

• LOL 9
35 minutes ago, beckie said:

I asked if they did it randomly because she makes it sound like they just showed up to work. Like the Rodriguii are so important that the Amish just HAD to help them out.

I suspect that Jill hired an Amish-run construction company to do the job and they showed up at the agreed-upon time. But she's trying to spin it as if her dear Amish friends and neighbors just showed up to help build her a living room...like a good old traditional Amish barn-raising. 

And I'll bet the company she hired is going to bitterly regret taking the job, especially when it comes time for the bill to be paid.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, beckie said:

I'm sure they wanted to get paid. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

And I'll bet the company she hired is going to bitterly regret taking the job, especially when it comes time for the bill to be paid.

Remaining balance paid in Bible tracts! I really don’t understand how these grifters can afford all these major construction projects. I’ve had to sadly postpone so many necessary repairs to my home because the cost of lumber and materials is astronomical right now.

• Love 14

Yesterday was Sofia Rodrigues’ birthday.  She’s 6-years-old but looks like she’s 4.  My heart breaks for that little girl.

1 minute ago, charmed1 said:

Remaining balance paid in Bible tracts! I really don’t understand how these grifters can afford all these major construction projects. I’ve had to sadly postpone so many necessary repairs to my home because the cost of lumber and materials is astronomical right now.

They had to hire a crane to transfer the trusses from one side of the house to the other.  There’s no telling how much that alone costs.

(edited)
13 hours ago, beckie said:

No, but they hire out and do great work.  My sister lives in Indiana near an Amish community and she hired them to put up an indoor riding ring/stables for her horses.  About 20 of them showed up at dawn and built the whole thing from the ground up in 3 days.  Beautiful work, too.  But, like any good contractors, there was a contract and payment involved.

Hiring the Amish to build stuff happens a lot here in the midwest where their communities are.  They're fast and efficient and their work is very good quality.

Out here, Amish communities usually allow their members to have cell phones for business purposes.  They often allow electricity for milking machines for dairy cows, too.  It's kind of weird to think about an Amish farmer waking up in a house with no electricity and going out to the barn and powering up the milking machines.  They usually use generators for that.  

There are also a lot of Mennonites who reside out in the countryside near the Amish.  They broke away from the old order Amish and can drive.  Otherwise, they still dress plain, etc.  A lot of times, there will be a Mennonite or two on the construction team and they'll do the driving.  Or, the Amish will hire a Yankee to drive them here and there.

Amish contractors also often make a deal with the local lumberyards where they do business to haul any tools and equipment as well as the lumber out to the job site.  Sometimes, they even haul the Amish themselves.  It's not unheard of to see a flatbed truck with a load of lumber and a load of Amish on the back going out to the job.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 9
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Aren't the Amish sects as diverse as Fundy sects? From shunning everything modern to embracing much of modern technology?

I'm guessing there are even some Amish subgroups that live like JillR, they talk the talk but don't truly walk the walk.

Yes, there are many different sects that are "Amish".  The community I am familiar with is very "old world".  They do not have telephones, they do not drive cars (or anything with a motor), they do not have window curtains (too worldly).  They do not have electricity.  I was in one general store where they rigged up a gas-powered fan. They do not use buttons on their clothing (again, too worldly).  The women close their dresses with straight pins up the front--aIways perfectly spaced and perfectly straight. They use hook-and eye-closures if straight pins won't do the job, such as on the men's trousers and shirts.  And all women and girls wear dresses and bonnets.  Smaller ones out of white net-like fabric at home or in the garden, and big black ones over the white ones when they leave home.  It is kind of odd looking to see a baby in arms wearing this huge black bonnet.  I guess that is their version of a bow for a girl.  All married men grow a long beard.  Monday is usually laundry day, and you will see clothes lines full of sheets and clothing at every farm.  They farm completely by horse. This particular group is very strict.  They are not comparable to the communities that run restaurants or gift shops. There are no billboards advertising "This way to the Amish".  Once a year they have a huge auction, which is popular with the town folks, to raise money for their school buildings, and it is quite an event.  They have a couple of general stores that local people can go to, a grocery store that I see local cars at, and you will see signs on the fences of families that sell quilts, rugs, or repair harnesses and shoes.  And a couple of bakeries. It is certainly not a "tourist stop" community, but people from the towns around will shop at their general stores. I've been going through that community since I was a small child.  My mother's family lived in the town nearby. I used to see buggies tied to parking meters in town, but for many years now they have a special lot for their use.  Can't park a horse at a meter any more.  The grocery store in town always has a buggy or two parked in their lot.  If a boy and girl are courting, they must ride in an open buggy.  You can have an enclosed buggy, or one with a top, after you are married.  They do not have church buildings.  Church is held on a rotating basis at each farm, and they wear their "Sunday Best".  Sometimes I have seen all the men in their suits in the front yard of a farm along the main road, talking together.  The women that I saw were in the house, probably cooking the lunch for the group. I have seen people from this Amish community around town more in the last few years (I usually go to Iowa once a year, but I lived in town as a child).  They can now go to the Dairy Queen and McDonalds, which was "forbidden" in years past.  But they pretty much stay to themselves and seem to be "good neighbors" with the surrounding towns.

• Useful 16
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, BetyBee said:

I'm guessing pretty much all Amish eschew social media, hair dye and raccoon eye make-up, so JillR will never make the cut. She's not MODEST enough!

They do.  Jill's fetish with the Amish cracks me up.  As much as she claims to love their simpler way of life, Jill's beliefs say they are still going to hell.  The Amish do not use the KJV.  They are just as sinful as my Catholic ass.  I don't think Jill knows this though.  

And on the flip side, the Amish don't look at Jill and see a godly woman.  She is too worldly for them.  

• Love 18
(edited)
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

From shunning everything modern to embracing much of modern technology?

I am less familiar with the Amish than I am Mennonites. We have a rather sizable Mennonite community in my neck of the woods, and I have had a few friends whose families broke away from the Mennonites. Where my dad lives about 3 hours away in Missouri has both Mennonites and Amish. But I've never personally seen Amish subgroups embracing a lot of modern technology, though I think it does vary my group how much they are personally comfortable with. 

But the Mennonites I know drive modern cars (nondescript black SUVs). They also use email. It's through their church's ISP rather than gmail. I went to a community college that had a small group of Mennonite girls enrolled in the nursing program, which would allow them to work in a nursing home that their church/community runs (which is rather well-regarded locally). I took Psych with them, and they were a lot of fun. A lot of the local Mennonites use our library for the computer too.

I'm not entirely sure how devout one of them is compared to the others, but he routinely checks out DVDs. (He's the only one I've seen get movies.) Always Westerns! He and I sometimes compare notes on which ones to watch, and when I am badgering my boss into buying offbeat Westerns I want that she insists nobody else will watch, I always invoke his name to prove that someone besides me will check out the movie in question. LOL 

Based on that, my guess would be the ones who appear to be using more modern technology probably fall more under the category of Mennonite than Amish (and I don't think it is unheard of for people to be raised as Amish and end up as Mennonites in adulthood), though I defer to people who are actually in Amish country. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3