Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Oh my, I know of one "writer" who self-published on Amazon who wrote how he proved Einstein wrong. Jill could possibly be right next to this guy on the list. She can't spell, write sentences, or use correct grammar or punctuation. What could go wrong?

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, Normades said:

Not a name I love, but seriously, their last name is Bridges.  Did they ask Don Johnson for permission first? 

That's the first place my mind went when I first read the baby's name 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/23/2021 at 6:13 PM, ginger90 said:

9EFB2CF2-26E3-4DCF-ABBA-C5E558986D24.jpeg

58B85DC2-6B10-48C8-B18E-3AD7E9BF593D.jpeg

I really want to attempt to diagram the "sentence" that doubles as the 2nd paragraph.  I really don't think there is a subject.   Also, I don't think she can offer anything that is compelling, except the urge to run far away.

• LOL 9
  • Love 10
35 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It took me awhile. 

I'm another one who had to google it. I knew there was a tiny niggle of something that sounded familiar, but that was totally not a show I'd ever watched or paid any sort of attention to. It can't be coincidence, can it? It's not as though Nash is exactly one of those up-and-coming names (though it does sound like something which might be poised to be somewhat trendy). But having it all come together to echo what sounds like a pretty forgettable show from over 20 years ago just seems a mite contrived.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bewitched said:

Also, I don't think she can offer anything that is compelling, except the urge to run far away.

What on earth could she possibly write about that would be in the least bit compelling?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

What on earth could she possibly write about that would be in the least bit compelling?

Jill thinks every word she writes is compelling.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bewitched said:

I really want to attempt to diagram the "sentence" that doubles as the 2nd paragraph.  I really don't think there is a subject.   Also, I don't think she can offer anything that is compelling, except the urge to run far away.

Yikes.  Her "writing" is nightmare-inducing for English teachers and for students who actually paid attention in class.  I guess she didn't want to pay a proofreader.  She is barely literate.  What a waste.  I feel so sorry for her children.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

That's the first place my mind went when I first read the baby's name 🤣

Oh, that's hilarious. I thought it sounded familiar. And the kicker is that there will apparently be a reboot this year!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Oh, that's hilarious. I thought it sounded familiar. And the kicker is that there will apparently be a reboot this year!

I wonder if the husband is a little older and always wanted to name a son Nash? And now a reboot! 😁

• Love 3

JillR starts 'em young in teaching her children to impose themselves on others. There's a video on FB of JillR encouraging Janessa to continually hug a somewhat terrified toddler. And shame on the toddler's mom for letting it happen.

• Love 5

I saw that video this morning, that poor little girl in the headlock gives a pleading "help me look" 

Jilly claims they "love each other" - truth is jill loves taking videos and creating a narrative about sweet friends. the pics and videos show otherwise.

there is also a pic with another family - rods are all spread out in the pic and other family is all crammed together on one side

14 hours ago, Bewitched said:

You're right. There is no subject. 

Starting a sentence with a prepositional phrase can lead to problems for weak writers like Jill. After the word Bible, she realizes no sentence is forming, so she writes "may it grip your heart" in an attempt to add a subject and a verb.

I think she was going for something like this, but I could be wrong. 

May this compelling book, filled with real-life stories and inspiration from the Bible, fill your heart with love and encouragement and strengthen it to do what is right. 

Imagine the sweet friends who pay Jill for a book they won't be able to read. 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

To me it always looks like TFDW has a lot of anger brewing just under the surface... 🤷🏼‍♀️

I don't get that from David Waller, but from most fundie men -- absolutely. Some of them frighten me even in photos. (Here's looking at you, Christopher Maxwell and Bateseseseses.) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

But Priss actually looks pretty good in that photo.

She does look good. Pris and Pecan seem to be into a lot of athletic, outdoorsy activities, which probably helps her bounce back quickly from childbirth. Meanwhile Anna is stuck with a lazy slug.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I don’t know who the middle-aged toddler is on the bottom left, but he looks like he’s over it and could use a stiff drink.

Peter

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 1

I had a patient today who looked and spoke EXACTLY like Priscilla!  Funny she would be mentioned here today!  I was going to post how I couldn’t get over the resemblance to the woman I worked with today!  Same hesitant, sweet, breathy voice. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I don’t know who the middle-aged toddler is on the bottom left, but he looks like he’s over it and could use a stiff drink.

The Waller family is always tops when it comes to middle-aged babies who appear horrified with their lots in life. I think their eldest was the only sweet-looking baby, and Davia (the oldest girl) was the reigning queen of comical facial expressions and failure to keep sweet. Sadly, they all seem to outgrow it around the time the next baby comes along. (With the exception of Davia, who held on valiantly, but finally seems to have learned...or been forced into... a true smile.)

• Love 13
36 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

The Keller genes run deep.  The littlest pecan looks JUST like grandpa Keller. Is this the one they squeezed into the back of a toy dump truck for a photo op?

No, Phillip was the Dump Truck Baby. Poor kid, he was SCREAMING. 

• Love 1

I don't know how many of you are parents, but Alyssa Bates posted an IG story showing her dining area. Its a glass table w/white upholstered chairs and benches. I don't know of one parent who would chose that with a houseful of kids.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know how many of you are parents, but Alyssa Bates posted an IG story showing her dining area. Its a glass table w/white upholstered chairs and benches. I don't know of one parent who would chose that with a houseful of kids.

And that light colored rug.She's going to be doing a lot of cleaning,sweeping and vacuuming.The wooden table they had before seemed more appropriate

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, sondraK said:

And that light colored rug.She's going to be doing a lot of cleaning,sweeping and vacuuming.The wooden table they had before seemed more appropriate

And that room is going to get high traffic. Its at the bottom of the stairs and is in between the school room and the kitchen.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

And that room is going to get high traffic. Its at the bottom of the stairs and is in between the school room and the kitchen.

Yes,and I liked that space they had between the schoolroom and dining area.I'd have left it and not filled it in.But maybe that's just me

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sondraK said:

Unless she's one of those fundies who strictly disciplines her kids, so that the first dirty handprint on a light fabric would result in such serious consequences that all the kids would quickly get the message.

I know the Bates and Duggars hide their harsh treatment of kids from the TV cameras, but the Duggars have long been linked to the Pearls  - who famously are in favor of beating children.

And don't forget that Meech let it slip that they did blanket training of infants. I would like to think the younger generation of those families doesn't follow those severe practices, but I'm not convinced that's the case. 

Edited by Jeeves
Clarity re Pearls
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

The Keller genes run deep.  The littlest pecan looks JUST like grandpa Keller. Is this the one they squeezed into the back of a toy dump truck for a photo op?

That child looks exactly like an unattractive old man in a baby’s body.  I hope he gets cuter as he gets older because, yeah, right now he looks just like grandpa.  Bless his heart.

• Love 1

From looking at the photos, I got the impression that Alyssa's dining room chairs are covered in vinyl/faux leather, so they could be wiped off easily.  I would be more concerned about putting little ones on the bench seating-  too easy for them to topple backwards.  And while the rug under the table looks nice, I would never do that with kids.  We moved a lot when my children were young and one of my non-negotiable items was no carpeting in the dining room.

Having said that, the room looks very stylish.  Not my style, but still very nice.

Since it is the dining room, I wonder if they will eat there every night or just on special occasions.  I rarely use my dining room and if the real estate market ever calms down and we downsize I will forgo a formal dining room.

Alyssa didn't have much growing up, so I can see how she wants to have nice things in her house.  It's not kid friendly, but it's what she wants.  Her girls do not seem to be super destructive so it may work out.  Or she will regret her choices quickly.

My daughter-in-law really wanted a white couch.  She got one with washable covers on the cushions so it could be kept clean.  My granddaughters are 11 and almost 3.  Yesterday she sent me a text showing me her new charcoal gray slipcovers.  The white lasted just over a year. 😂

Edited by 3 is enough
  • LOL 15
3 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

That child looks exactly like an unattractive old man in a baby’s body.  I hope he gets cuter as he gets older because, yeah, right now he looks just like grandpa.  Bless his heart.

I think he's kind of cute in an unattractive sort of way (if that makes any sense).  Their kids do seem to be very cute after going through an awkward stage, so I think there's hope for him.  I still love me some Davia!!

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Alyssa didn't have much growing up, so I can see how she wants to have nice things in her house.  It's not kid friendly, but it's what she wants.  Her girls do not seem to be super destructive so it may work out.  Or she will regret her choices quickly.

She didn't have much because her idiot parents kept having kid after kid after kid and refused to keep actual jobs. Gee, I wonder if Alyssa the dingbat realizes she's following in her parents' footsteps. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, Heathen said:

She didn't have much because her idiot parents kept having kid after kid after kid and refused to keep actual jobs. Gee, I wonder if Alyssa the dingbat realizes she's following in her parents' footsteps. 

To be fair, John has a real job and by all accounts he doesn't have an aversion to hard work or longer hours.  

I do feel that Alyssa is the least like her parents.  She moved away and seems to like the distance.  And while she may have a couple more kids down the line, I really doubt she will have 19.

The beliefs are still there to be sure, and John's father is awful.  Still, I think she is not as much of a Kool-Aid drinker as Erin.

I have noticed that she never posts about Wednesday evening church services like her siblings do.  Maybe that is not a "thing" in Florida?

• Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 9:36 AM, crazy8s said:

I saw that video this morning, that poor little girl in the headlock gives a pleading "help me look" 

Jilly claims they "love each other" - truth is jill loves taking videos and creating a narrative about sweet friends. the pics and videos show otherwise.

there is also a pic with another family - rods are all spread out in the pic and other family is all crammed together on one side

And then Jill forced Sofia to hug the other 2. Voluntary Group hug my ass. Jill is awful. Also the mom of the other girl should have said don’t tape my kid and don’t post the video on Facebook. Clearly the non Rod girl was miserable.

• Love 6

Alyssa said the sisters she was closer to were Katie and Carlin, both of whom helped with the home remodel. I think Katie may be visiting again right now. These 2 sisters seem to be the least Fundie. So I don’t think the Webster’s are following in Gil and KJ’s footsteps.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

To be fair, John has a real job and by all accounts he doesn't have an aversion to hard work or longer hours.  

I do feel that Alyssa is the least like her parents.  She moved away and seems to like the distance.  And while she may have a couple more kids down the line, I really doubt she will have 19.

The beliefs are still there to be sure, and John's father is awful.  Still, I think she is not as much of a Kool-Aid drinker as Erin.

I have noticed that she never posts about Wednesday evening church services like her siblings do.  Maybe that is not a "thing" in Florida?

Jim Bob had a real job (actually, jobs, and so did Michelle) and worked hard when he was young. Gil did too, before he dumped Nabisco in favor of trimming trees and getting hospitals to write off ER bills.

I think Alyssa is far more like her parents than she'd be willing to admit. She had her first kid less than eleven months after her wedding, and she's had kid after kid since then despite a recent medical history that might suggest slowing down would be a good idea. And she grifts clothes for her kids. 

• Love 5