Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

my oldest grand got her reading glasses this week - school eye testing recommend she have an eye exam. she is 9.

on the fundies that don't look into it. I think these children don't know how things should look. Mrcrazy8s got glasses at age 3 and his mom remembers him saying "i can see!"

one of our neighbors tells a story of getting glasses at age 8 or 9 and how she had never realized the leaves on trees could be seen separate. they had always been a big glob and she had no idea they looked different to other people

So true.I got my first pair of glasses in 3rd grade.I recall looking out the school window and being amazed at seeing how the blades of grass were separate

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, sondraK said:

So true.I got my first pair of glasses in 3rd grade.I recall looking out the school window and being amazed at seeing how the blades of grass were separate

I was in 5th or 6th grade. I don't really remember too much about it. My eyes were never really too bad. Even now, my prescription hasn't changed in years. I can still wear my spare pair of glasses that I got about 10 years ago. I do need the glasses to drive though! 

• Love 3

I got a note from school in the fourth grade because I couldn't see the blackboard. The teacher was kind of mean about it because I kept asking to move to the front of the room. My mother took me for an eye exam, and I got glasses. When I first put them on, the assistant told me to look at a chimney outside the window. I was amazed to see the individual bricks. I'll never forget it. My mother had no idea because I didn't know  I couldn't see. If I were isolated like the Rod kids, that would have gone on for a long time.

David and diabetes or heart disease. Jill with thyroid issues. Janessa with early health issues. The rest of the kids with vision, dental, or other concerns. Jill now has money to get checkups for everybody. Instead, she buys a huge clock with funny numbers nobody in the house can read.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I got a note from school in the fourth grade because I couldn't see the blackboard. The teacher was kind of mean about it because I kept asking to move to the front of the room. My mother took me for an eye exam, and I got glasses. When I first put them on, the assistant told me to look at a chimney outside the window. I was amazed to see the individual bricks. I'll never forget it. My mother had no idea because I didn't know  I couldn't see. If I were isolated like the Rod kids, that would have gone on for a long time.

David and diabetes or heart disease. Jill with thyroid issues. Janessa with early health issues. The rest of the kids with vision, dental, or other concerns. Jill now has money to get checkups for everybody. Instead, she buys a huge clock with funny numbers nobody in the house can read.  

I’m sure the whole family is covered by Medicaid. She could get care for all of them without paying a penny, but she just doesn’t bother.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I did actually call their church and left a message for the pastor to call me back. I do have concerns about her posting pics of people in worship, pics of children and in the "popcorn preaching" post she not only had video of a few, that i think were minors, but gave their names as well.

Thank you for doing that!  

• Love 14
6 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Carlin Bates, whose daughter has some sort of vision issue, said she had never had her eyes dilated.  I suspect half of these fundie kids need glasses but nobody knows it because they don't look into it.  When I was in public school there were vision checks but that's not happening with this crew.

Oh I missed this! Did she say what it was?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Does anyone know what the 8 black rectangles are, in the before pics?

I was thinking perhaps it’s veiling, but I don’t know if Baptist churches do that. They’re around the room, but in one picture, the cross is plain, which it wouldn’t be if it was veiling. I don’t know what they are! Helpful huh? 😁

Interesting little note, the picture of Jill holding her phone appears on the church website.

F1C07354-46BB-4CE9-ABB1-57438718E0D2.jpeg

7AA62E2A-7C69-4F1A-9035-12B5B86820C4.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Does anyone know what the 8 black rectangles are, in the before pics?

they are acoustic tiles to absorb sound. It appears the wall is cement block or something so they would have an echo and reverberation issue in that room

• Useful 13
  • Love 3

Something that just occurred to me...I wonder who is taking the picture of Jill taking the selfie during the church service? They would be just as complicit too, wouldn't they? Unless it was for the church's social media, which is entirely plausible.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

It pains me to give Jill credit for anything, but the wall looks much better. 

I agree.  It's looks slightly dated, but it is more pleasing to the eye.  I was expecting it to be much more ornate, someone must has restrained her.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I agree.  It's looks slightly dated, but it is more pleasing to the eye.  I was expecting it to be much more ornate, someone must has restrained her.

It really is better than I would have thought it would turn out. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Something that just occurred to me...I wonder who is taking the picture of Jill taking the selfie during the church service? They would be just as complicit too, wouldn't they? Unless it was for the church's social media, which is entirely plausible.

Whoever it was would've been standing at the front of the church which means to me that they were authorized, unlike Jill.

My church has people in the congregation who are photographers who will come to services at holidays or for First Communion or whatever and take pictures to use in bulletins or the website or other church communications.  Usually, there's a disclaimer in the bulletin, like  'We're taking pictures for the church website at the 9:30 Mass next week.  If you don't want to be photographed, come to another Mass'.  I've never known anyone who cared, but they are given notice.  Of course, Jill would get there early so she could be right in front for any photo op.

And, like everyone else, I have to reluctantly give Jill credit for improving the looks of the church, though that was a pretty low bar considering how there was virtually no decor whatsoever before.

15 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jill is such a liar. Olivia squints in every single picture. That little girl has never had her eyes checked. Maybe she only got testing done for all the kids down to 13 year old Tessie? It would be such a Jill thing to do.

Now, everyone knows 'Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses'.  I have a feeling that Jill claims her girls have perfect eyesight without ever having it tested because she thinks they will be more desirable when it is time to auction them off in marriage.  Also, they are mere wimmins and their only path in life is cookin', cleanin', bein' joyfully available, givin' birth and raisin' young 'uns. They don't need to be able to see for any of that.

Meanwhile, the boys have important lives doing the Lord's work ahead of them. They need to be able to see clearly to run the printing press, preach at church and keep the wife and kids in line.  

I think Jill's threshold for needing an eye exam let alone glasses is based completely on the child's gender.  As are many other things in her life.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jill won't care about getting any of her girls glasses until they are 16 and need a driver's license.  They she will open her wallet, but the girls are only to wear their glasses while taking the eye test.   

She'll probably just get one pair and pass it along from girl to girl.

If the girls fail the eye test at the driver's license bureau, Jill will claim persecution, too.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

The amount of money that she was given to work with is probably what restrained her.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I have a feeling that Jill claims her girls have perfect eyesight without ever having it tested because she thinks they will be more desirable when it is time to auction them off in marriage. 

Oh, I beg to differ...there's an eye chart on the side of the reading glasses display at Dollar Tree...."If you can read this line...."

• Love 7

I'm sure that the man who made that dining room table didn't intend it to be used for ping pong. Then again, how often is it actually used for meals? 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Autocorrect is not my friend
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm sure that the man who made that dining room table didn't intend it to be used for ping pong. Then again, how often is it actually used for meals? 

when they have guests who bring food.

I don't count Jilly's pics of kids sitting in front of uneaten food as "used for meals" - used for mama's fu to the haters are all those are.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, drafan said:

Oh, I beg to differ...there's an eye chart on the side of the reading glasses display at Dollar Tree...."If you can read this line...."

After my granddaughter deliberately broke her 2nd pair of glasses in 2 months my daughter took her to Dollar Tree and bought her a new pair. Which she hasn't bothered breaking because she knows it isn't going to upset anyone. 

• Love 1

the "photo shoot" for the book she is writing is her taking pics with her phone in a field with power lines in the background?

Funny thing is you know she believes she is a writer and no ghostwriter will be needed. Stimulus money is going to pay to publish Jilly vanity book.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 14
21 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

the "photo shoot" for the book she is writing is her taking pics with her phone in a field with power lines in the background?

Funny thing is you know she believes she is a writer and no ghostwriter will be needed. Stimulus money is going for a pay to published Jilly vanity book.

I cannot wait to see this book and the random capitalizations, bad grammar, and vomitous spewing of insanity from Jill. Should surpass the Duggar girl's book for sure.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Huh guess Jill is jealous of Jinger Duggar the breakout star. 

Jinger has a somewhat literate husband who can help with the book thing. Jillpm has no one who can write, edit, or proofread, including herself.

On the other hand, Jillpm has her own printer. David will print, and Jill and the kids will promote. 

This should be very interesting. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9

I am dying thinking of David printing Jilly's book and the kids assembling it with one of those binding machines with the curled plastic strips, like the ones on the old church cookbooks.

just the image of it makes me laugh

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 17
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Jinger has a somewhat literate husband who can help with the book thing. Jillpm has no one who can write, edit, or proofread, including herself.

On the other hand, Jillpm has her own printer. David will print, and Jill and the kids will promote. 

This should be very interesting. 

Precisely why I think this will be spectacularly awful. Great laughs for us! 😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, heckkitty said:

Based on the "photo shoot" I'm guessing the topic of the book is "how to make your teenage daughters look like 40-year-olds in 1982?

The video included in that post was awful. The girls walking hand in hand, exaggerated walking, so it looked like they were learning how to walk. 

• LOL 8

I am deeply ashamed of how much I want to read Jill's book. Like, I would never give her money for it, but if I could pirate it, well, just call me Blackbeard. 

• LOL 22
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I am deeply ashamed of how much I want to read Jill's book. Like, I would never give her money for it, but if I could pirate it, well, just call me Blackbeard. 

What, you're not going to DM her for a copy? 😂

• LOL 11