Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The actors get their sallow skin and dark eye circles from makeup. The Rod kids get theirs from malnourishment and lack of sleep. However, I'm sure if Jill saw this photo, her only concern would be how shockingly immodest the rags on the little girl are. Jill is just that crazy. 

Hi and welcome

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I’m sure David claims he is working for himself at the “printing business.” They would accept that.

Ok,thx for that.I had thought it might be for a tax write off,but I'm not sure they pay any taxes at all on grifts?

Edited by sondraK
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I've never tried to feed that many people on a regular basis, but I'd guess it's difficult but possible with good planning and cooking from scratch. There are several young children who don't need large meals, but there are a number of adults too. And then there's David. I wouldn't want to turn the older kids into kitchen slaves (Jill doesn't seem to do much) but nutrition is more important than dusting collectables. The physical appearance of these children is appalling, and I think it's more than just being poor. They are right out of Dickens. Something is really off with this family. 

We've seen her grocery carts, she doesn't appear to be cooking much from scratch.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Almost anything is a step up from her having the little girls open packages of dipping cheese to pour over potatoes.  Thanksgiving at least looked like a meal even if she should have cooked two to four times as much as she showed.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Almost anything is a step up from her having the little girls open packages of dipping cheese to pour potatoes.  Thanksgiving at least looked like a meal even if she should have cooked two to four times as much as she showed.

With her teeth.

7 minutes ago, AussiesRule said:

This photo is captioned - left to right Angie, Amy, Jill (Me!!), Lisa. How the hell did she get that wrong??!

The stupid cow listed the sisters in ascending age order rather than their positions in the actual picture. 

• LOL 13
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Carlin did an IG Story, waiting in an examination room for Layla's 10 month check-up (yay). During the video Layla is standing holding onto a chair for a bit and for half the video Carlin's mask is below her nose. Then Carlin proceeds to repeatedly kiss Layla with her mask on.

They really don't get it. If the patient(s) before them, or a nurse or MD, has covid, that room is filled with it. Carlin not only lets her kid paw a communal chair, but she smothers her kid's face with a germy mask, all the while inhaling germs through her nose. Idiots is what they are.

I think we can all agree that Carlin is not the sharpest tool in the shed. 🙄

• LOL 10
  • Love 9
19 hours ago, 65mickey said:

What kid do you know when asked what kind of birthday cake do you want answers no cake Ma just a pie with whip cream on top?  No kid that I have ever known. I agree with the poster who said these pies were most likely on sale after Thanksgiving.

Actually,  lemon meringue pie is my favorite and I'd ask for it over cake every birthday. 

13 hours ago, AussiesRule said:

This photo is captioned - left to right Angie, Amy, Jill (Me!!), Lisa. How the hell did she get that wrong??!

Because she can't be last in ANYTHING,  even if just listing herself with her sisters. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 12/2/2020 at 7:29 AM, GeeGolly said:

Carlin did an IG Story, waiting in an examination room for Layla's 10 month check-up (yay). During the video Layla is standing holding onto a chair for a bit and for half the video Carlin's mask is below her nose. Then Carlin proceeds to repeatedly kiss Layla with her mask on.

They really don't get it. If the patient(s) before them, or a nurse or MD, has covid, that room is filled with it. Carlin not only lets her kid paw a communal chair, but she smothers her kid's face with a germy mask, all the while inhaling germs through her nose. Idiots is what they are.

It seems like every time we see a picture of Carlin with a mask on,  it is below her nose.  

Plus & most importantly, Layla is a high risk baby. 

• Love 2

Regarding SNAP benefits, in most states there is no work requirement for Food assistance, just for cash. So they would not have to show that they work in order to benefit, which I'm sure they do and consider it their right. 

• Love 2

For SNAP benefits in Ohio, "You may be required to participate in an employment and training program if you aren't working or work fewer than 30 hours a week. Some exceptions apply".

In my state, the exceptions include going to school, attending treatment programs or receiving disability payments.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

He has to show proof that he has an actual business and claim the business income. Honestly, I have no problems with the Rods getting SNAP benefits as those benefits actually pay for themselves in added revenue, wages, and taxes. I just wish they would buy healthy food and give their children adequate portions.

• Love 18

I remember reading a couple different articles or blogs that super Fundies wouldn't apply for or accept government entitlements, but they would accept handouts and also use medical services while uninsured and cry poor when the bills came.

I wonder what the Rods feelings are about this. Or maybe the last DCF assessment included the Rods having to apply for SNAP.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I remember reading a couple different articles or blogs that super Fundies wouldn't apply for or accept government entitlements, but they would accept handouts and also use medical services while uninsured and cry poor when the bills came.

I wonder what the Rods feelings are about this. Or maybe the last DCF assessment included the Rods having to apply for SNAP.

I believe it is because applying for benefits requires them to lay bare their financials to the government.  They have to produce employment records and actually show up to an office to meet with a social worker.  A social worker who is most likely female and a heathen, and they can't give a lowly woman that much power over them.  In their minds, Jesus would rather their kids starve than for the headship to humble himself like that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
27 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I remember reading a couple different articles or blogs that super Fundies wouldn't apply for or accept government entitlements

A lot of them say that, and they're probably full of crap. My cousin's baby daddy found Jesus in prison, married when he got out, went Quiverfull and now has nine kids. They're on every government program you can think of.

I can see the Rods getting food stamps, but the majority of the bounty goes to Shrek and Jill. The kids get the scraps.

• Love 13
53 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I remember reading a couple different articles or blogs that super Fundies wouldn't apply for or accept government entitlements

21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

A lot of them say that, and they're probably full of crap. My cousin's baby daddy found Jesus in prison, married when he got out, went Quiverfull and now has nine kids. They're on every government program you can think of.

I can see the Rods getting food stamps, but the majority of the bounty goes to Shrek and Jill. The kids get the scraps.

I agree, I'm sure a lot of them parrot the "party line" about no "government handouts" but quietly sign up for at least some assistance if they qualify. Unlike Jill and David, I think (hope!) there are people who although fundies, also love their kids and want to feed them properly, even if if means using food stamps or other programs.

Edited by Jeeves
words
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I agree, I'm sure a lot of them parrot the "party line" about no "government handouts" but quietly sign up for at least some assistance if they qualify. Unlike Jill and David, I think (hope!) there are people who although fundies, also love their kids and want to feed them properly, even if if means using food stamps or other programs.

And I’m sure they happily cashed the stimulus checks they got in the spring. Payed for by our taxes. And I have no problem with that, we should be helping everyone more, especially in these times. But they’re the ones who say they don’t want “hand outs.”

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I seem to remember the patriarch of one of these families, maybe Gil Bates, bragging that they didn't need a family doctor because they could just go to the ER anytime and be seen.  To me, that says that they didn't have health insurance and a private doctor's office would've wanted payment while the ER, by law, has to see everyone who comes in and hospitals that receive federal money (which is basically all of them) have got to provide a certain amount of free care for those who are uninsured.  So, when the ER sends the bill, many fundies simply call the hospital business office and cry poor and get it written off.

When I was in private practice, I performed a major surgery on a patient who had  lousy health insurance that only paid a portion of the cost.  We checked it out and she knew she would get a bill for the balance to be paid afterwards.  Oh sure, of course, no problem.  Then, after the successful surgery, she calls when she gets the invoice crying and begging us to write it off since she was such a good Christian.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe it is because applying for benefits requires them to lay bare their financials to the government.  They have to produce employment records and actually show up to an office to meet with a social worker.  A social worker who is most likely female and a heathen, and they can't give a lowly woman that much power over them.  In their minds, Jesus would rather their kids starve than for the headship to humble himself like that.  

I agree that the Rods would look down of DCF and their caseworkers.

Its actually rare that an actual social worker would come in contact with a DCF family. They're usually case workers. And caseworkers, even female heathen ones, hold great power - they can remove their kids with one phone call.

It could be that when investigated a provisional case was opened for 30 days. In my state this is done when the case worker has minor concerns, usually seen under the neglect umbrella. They often make suggestions to parents about things like replacing a car seat, using bed linens, getting winter coats, take parenting classes, applying for services, etc. They will help the families with contacts, vouchers and filling out applications and such. If at the end of 30 days, nothing gets worse, or better yet, improves, the case is closed, almost as if it was never opened.

The quickest way to make DCF go away is to do what they suggest. The Rods could have even applied for SNAP just to get DCF out of their hair and then actually saw the benefit of it.

Whatever the case, the Rods definitely are spending more money this past year than in years past.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's supposed to be, He is the Way.  

It means He is the way, but I don't think that's how they pronounce it. I believe it is pronounced "Heist-away".

Her parents had #9 this year, a boy named Joseph. All of the other kids have normal names, as far as I know. 

• Useful 5

Jill is in for some trouble eventually, most counties in Ohio have spiking COVID numbers and the Ohio State Health Dept. basically listed Ohio as a place to avoid. Now it had to as Ohio went over a 15% positive rate for COVID-19 tests it automatically went on its own list of states with a travel advisory.

Fun times when you ban yourself. And it's coming for you Jill, watch out.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, Spazamanaz said:

Yes it was Gil Bates that said that. He seemed to be pretty pleased about it too. Almost like bragging rights. 

My sister, who’s an RN, worked in the emergency room for ten years and dealt with many people like Gil, who used the ER as their private doctor’s office and brought their kids in for every little ache and sniffle. She said that the worst part of coping with them was that they WERE smugly pleased with themselves and displayed a huge air of entitlement.

• Love 5

I guess Erin Bates didn't care that she threw some shade at Carlin, Josie, Whitney and the Duggar sisters, by posting an IG Story recommendation for a Bible recovering service. She starts the post with "I don't do ads...".

Between Whitney's monthly box subscription for her and her kids, Josie's and Carlin's almost daily shilling and the Duggar sisters' random shilling, there's not much room left for Erin. But still, that statement. Erin didn't say, this is not an ad, she said, I don't do ads.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Lulz Erin doesn't do ads or nobody's approached her to promote products? I can't believe she'd turn down easy cash. She's six years into marriage and they still can't afford to buy a house. I'm thinking shade mixed with a twinge of jealousy?

• Love 11

Erin works so hard to convince people that she lives an idyllic life in a picturesque cottage in the woods, where friends and family gather in the evenings to sing hymns around the piano.  Never mind that she has 4 children crammed into a tiny bedroom like sardines, and they can't afford to buy a bigger house.  As long as her Bible is in good repair life continues to be perfect. 🙄

I can only imagine how it is eating away at her.  We saw on the show that the fact that her younger siblings had nicer weddings with stylish dresses was a sore spot. I have noticed that she doesn't post nearly as often on Instagram these days.  Could be that with 4 kids she is just busy, but I have a feeling that she sees that she can't compete with her sisters, so she just lays low, with the occasional "holier than thou" passive aggressive post about trusting in Jesus.  I took "I don't do ads" as a swipe at her sisters for sure.

• Love 17
19 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Jill is in for some trouble eventually, most counties in Ohio have spiking COVID numbers and the Ohio State Health Dept. basically listed Ohio as a place to avoid. Now it had to as Ohio went over a 15% positive rate for COVID-19 tests it automatically went on its own list of states with a travel advisory.

Fun times when you ban yourself. And it's coming for you Jill, watch out.

There are 7 counties in NE Ohio that are level purple, the highest incidence of COVID.  Jill lives in Wayne County which is red, the second highest level but we've seen her in locations in several of those purple counties and I am sure she doesn't bother with little things like warnings or guidelines.

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

There are 7 counties in NE Ohio that are level purple, the highest incidence of COVID.  Jill lives in Wayne County which is red, the second highest level but we've seen her in locations in several of those purple counties and I am sure she doesn't bother with little things like warnings or guidelines.

My county was over 20% but over the past couple of weeks it dropped. It's going back up again. 

On 12/1/2020 at 1:09 AM, Temperance said:

Denver Bontrager is engaged to Praise Helferich!

It was rumored they were together. 

In August Denver's sister Allison married Praise's brother Jeremiah.

This is not the first time two Bontrager siblings have spouses who are siblings. Two of the boys, Carson and Joshua Bontrager are married to sisters Carolina and Cassidy Bowers. 

I'm surprised these people don't have their own show. 

Okay quoting myself for the update.

Praise Helferich is a young woman with a fundie first name: Praise.  It turns out that her middle names are also fundie. Her first middle name is "The" and the second middle name is "Lord".  Her full name is Praise The Lord Helferich. 

You can't make this stuff up. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

So, I'm old. And not religious. When I hear "Praise the Lord," I tend to finish the sentence with " . . . and pass the ammunition."

(ETA: I'm *not* so old that I was alive when these WWII songs were first sung. Just saying.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 13
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Okay quoting myself for the update.

Praise Helferich is a young woman with a fundie first name: Praise.  It turns out that her middle names are also fundie. Her first middle name is "The" and the second middle name is "Lord".  Her full name is Praise The Lord Helferich. 

You can't make this stuff up. 

LOL.I thought Praise was a name they use for a guy.That said,it doesn't flow like someone is praising the Lord.It sounds like someone is praising the Helferich instead.

Praise and Pray or Prayer would be interesting for twins.Not sure what the middle name for that would be though.Pray To The Lord I guess

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

So, I'm old. And not religious. When I hear "Praise the Lord," I tend to finish the sentence with " . . . and pass the ammunition."

I had the same response but I didn't know it came from a Bing Crosby song. It was something my grandfather (WWII vet) used to say instead of god-d.....it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6