Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

So...let me see if I have this right...masks are for wimps, because Jesus will protect the righteous, but assault rifles are absolutely necessary for “protection”?

Those two are bigger posers than RFP and I didn’t think that was possible.

Exactly.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

how bowling is Godly? Any others I should know, like Piety Ping Pong? Churchly Checkers? Divinity Dominoes? Blessed Badminton?

Righteous Rugby?

Sacred Scrapbooking? Oh wait, that's girl stuff.

• LOL 11
17 hours ago, MonicaM said:

The strictest, most hard core religious people I know are also hard core gun enthusiasts who promise to shoot to kill if anyone steps on their property Or looks as if they might step on their property.  Then they go to church and recite "as we forgive those who trespass against us".  I'm far from anti-gun, but I hate it when people glorify them.

same here - that " Pro Life" crowd

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Righteous Rugby?

Sacred Scrapbooking? Oh wait, that's girl stuff.

Rugby isn't righteous?? With those thighs and the scrums, and all those sweaty men.  I'm getting the vapors just typing this.

On another note, the Rodlets have some of the worst bowling forms I have ever seen.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

On another note, the Rodlets have some of the worst bowling forms I have ever seen.  

They get to do things only when other people pay, so how often do they have an opportunity to acquire any skills?

Is bowling part of the Great Southern Thanksgiving Grift Tour? Be ready for photos of David at his favorite sport--stuffing his face at a restaurant on someone's else's tab. 

• Love 10

Speaking of the Wallers,  big news out of Texas!

David and Priscilla are selling their house in/near Big Sandy and are moving to Fort Worth!

David got a new job with IFB church called Fair Park Baptist Church. He has left IBLP or at least no longer works for the organization!

David has allegedly taken IBLP off his resume on LinkedIn. 

This is huge news as he seems to have been the executive director of IBLP and certainly high up in the organization. 

It's unclear who is now running IBLP! David's older brother Derrick Waller seems to still work there. 

• Useful 17
  • Love 1

Oh, my! That is big! Question for those who know their flavours of fundy better than I do: Are lots of IFB groups quiverful, or is it mostly Gothard? In other words, might Pris' baby train be slowing down from high speed commuter rail to leisurely tourist track through the mountains?

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Speaking of the Wallers,  big news out of Texas!

David and Priscilla are selling their house in/near Big Sandy and are moving to Fort Worth!

David got a new job with IFB church called Fair Park Baptist Church. He has left IBLP or at least no longer works for the organization!

David has allegedly taken IBLP off his resume on LinkedIn. 

This is huge news as he seems to have been the executive director of IBLP and certainly high up in the organization. 

It's unclear who is now running IBLP! David's older brother Derrick Waller seems to still work there. 

Hmmm. Closer to the Spiveys. Interesting...

• Useful 7
19 hours ago, auntieminem said:

I don't get the whole gun thing with the fundies.  Jesus was the ultimate pacifist. So much I don't understand about them, so anti teachings of Jesus.   

Jesus never used a weapon, did he?  Or displayed any violence?

• Love 8
5 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Jesus never used a weapon, did he?  Or displayed any violence?

Well, he did throw the money-lenders out of the temple...so how the prosperity-gospel types square that circle is beyond me.

But once they turned Jesus into a blonde, blue-eyed Caucasian any pretensions of historical accuracy were pretty much out the window, anyway.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 24

Jesus did get kinda salty with the money changers in the temple (knocking over their kicks, basically), as those of us who are pro social justice Jesus like to to remind the prosperity gospel crew. Otherwise, no, it's all "turn the other cheek and bless those that curse you". No exceptions for high powered assault rifles given (if that's what those are, I'm Canadian and haven't seen many, sorry). 

Jinx! Oldernowiser

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Rugby isn't righteous?? With those thighs and the scrums, and all those sweaty men.  I'm getting the vapors just typing this.

The bowling bowl weighs almost as much as they do.  They could barely carry the damn ball. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Rugby isn't righteous?? With those thighs and the scrums, and all those sweaty men.

Well, apparently I am off to the Prayer Closet. I read this as, “those thighs and the scrotums.”

Anybody have extra wine?

• LOL 23

Jesus did curse the fig tree when he got ticked off when it had no fruit so there's that, but he didn't put on his MAGA hat and shoot it. He left that to his erstwhile cargo cult sons in cargo pants.

He would be so proud. Or not.

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6

Yes rugby is righteous. That is when played by actual grownups who know what they are doing. And I might have paused in my run today by the field when local guys were practicing and fanned myself a bit. 

But Rod's trying any sport is bound to be a fail and also godly because of course it is.

• LOL 3

I'm really intrigued by the TFDW news. 

That being said, the rumor he took IBLP off his LinkedIn is just that--a rumor. It's still on there (07-12) and then ATI (11-20). Looks like his job ended in September. 

He also still lists IBLP and ATI seminars under education.

His endorsements for stuff like leadership include Josh, whose LinkedIn shows nothing past FRC. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 7
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm really intrigued by TFDW taking the whole thing off his LinkedIn. That seems . . . significant. 

That does make it sound as if he left IBLP on bad terms. He may have been fired/asked to resign (he was a Gothard protege and if he got in trouble with someone on the Board, Gothard isn’t there to protect him anymore). Or the organization may be in trouble (dwindling revenues, more lawsuits, new scandals brewing) and he decided to get out while the getting is good. Whatever the reason, it must have been BIG, because he seemed like the ultimate Kool-Aid drinker. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

That does make it sound as if he left IBLP on bad terms. He may have been fired/asked to resign (he was a Gothard protege and if he got in trouble with someone on the Board, Gothard isn’t there to protect him anymore). Or the organization may be in trouble (dwindling revenues, more lawsuits, new scandals brewing) and he decided to get out while the getting is good. Whatever the reason, it must have been BIG, because he seemed like the ultimate Kool-Aid drinker. 

Well, I did some further digging, and that rumor is actually not true (and I edited my post accordingly). He still has it up on LinkedIn. Him leaving, though, does surprise me because you're totally right about him being a Kool-Aid guzzler. He doesn't strike me as the type who would just leave for a new opportunity unless something about the position had become quite a bit less comfortable than it had been. He's devoted most of his adult life to this organization. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
15 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Correction: He devoted ALL of his adult life to IBLP/ATI.

Thanks! I was trying to do math and gave up. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Davia Waller has become a pretty girl after being a kinda funny-looking very young child

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHgK0dmHEq0/?igshid=1ia1257nbu2qq 

She has grown into her looks!  I love how the post says David got to go to daddy’s office!  

4 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Micah Plath with I assume is his girlfriend. Wowza 

Nike! X 100

A0D4C24B-E21F-45DE-A4AB-0781B29CC7DE.jpeg

Is he one that’s gone astray from the values of the Plath family that hangs out with JRod?  I can only imagine what sluttishness she would find in this photo!  

3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I also noticed they seemed to stop updating the David Loves Priscillla blog in May. So, apparently, they didn't announce the career change either?

Hmmm. That’s interesting!  And perhaps telling. If it were a positive move, you’d think they’d be trumpeting gods leading in their lives. But not a word, huh?

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

I also noticed they seemed to stop updating the David Loves Priscillla blog in May. So, apparently, they didn't announce the career change either?

I haven't looked at that blog in years unless someone put up a link. It did give us the Pecan Thief story with the disappearing "jolly black officer." 😂

• LOL 5
9 hours ago, satrunrose said:

Oh, my! That is big! Question for those who know their flavours of fundy better than I do: Are lots of IFB groups quiverful, or is it mostly Gothard? In other words, might Pris' baby train be slowing down from high speed commuter rail to leisurely tourist track through the mountains?

I think a lot of IFB churches are quiverfull, but not all of them. I doubt it will slow down the baby train too much.  They seem to have babies every year and they are in the thirties. Priscilla is about two years older than Anna. 

9 hours ago, Absolom said:

Wasn't he the executive director of the ATI portion?   Did he get a promotion to be over the whole business before he left?

I don't know. I don't have LinkedIn and I also thought he was running the show. I think I got it wrong. Still he seemed in-line to carry the organization the future.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

Could it be IBLP is collapsing? David did some kind of seminar/conference during the pandemic so whatever happened was somewhat recent.

These organizations confuse me. Where were the Duggars, Spiveys and Bates last month? Big Sandy? Is that IBLP/ATI?

Does anyone know what Brandon does now that he and Michaela moved to TN? I believe he also worked, or works, for IBLP.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Why does every child stop everything to give the camera a huge smile?  

I expect that in the land of Jill R, that's required whenever Jill R has her camera ready. 

In Rodrigui land, seems pretty clear that "everything not forbidden is compulsory." (per TH White's description of the land of ants)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, satrunrose said:

A lot of people but certainly far from all those in IFB churches approve of Quiverfull ideas, it seems, although I don't know that even all those who act on them actually use that word. Economics certainly stops some people from going along. Not everybody seems to believe that God will provide for as many as you can cram into a dorm room. 

Once you believe that women have to be joyfully available at all times and that all birth control is infanticide, you're there, though, in belief at least. And that's pretty common across the most conservative parts of the evangelical world.

Plus, like the known active proponents of the Quiverfull movement, many IFB-going people believe that it's their duty to assemble as big an army for Jesus's next coming as possible.

So....he can certainly have found a church where a Quiverfull belief is accepted and approved of, whether or not most people in the group actually practice it....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

. Or the organization may be in trouble (dwindling revenues, more lawsuits, new scandals brewing) and he decided to get out while the getting is good. 

The money is dwindling like crazy. Every year they sell off assets. 

Their big push this year seemed to be to publicize Alert more and boost it. And if that didn't work--as it may well not have--then it looks to me as if they have literally nothing that's a potentially growing moneymaker.

If I had a bunch of young kids, had a job in a place in that financial condition and could get a different job in a place in better financial shape but with the same general purpose and philosophy, I'd do it in a minute. 

The really Gothard-specific nutso beliefs, like curls and such, have been on the wane for a long time along with the Gothard homeschooling materials, especially in the U.S. Back when they took the Duggars to Australia they seemed to be trying to boost the international operations more. But it's quite likely that that effort failed as well.

So what they're left with isn't much different from many other groups and churches. At this point, it's probably only older people who even remember the details of most of the Gothard-specific stuff anyway. And their bucks aren't sufficient to pay people with young, growing families. They may buy Gothard tapes from the media store but they don't have anybody to send to Alert, they aren't homeschooling anybody so they won't buy those materials, and they probably no longer attend family camps. 

I'd guess DW's reason for leaving involves looking out for his and his young kids' financial future before the whole thing dwindles down to nothing at all. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Could it be IBLP is collapsing? David did some kind of seminar/conference during the pandemic so whatever happened was somewhat recent.

These organizations confuse me. Where were the Duggars, Spiveys and Bates last month? Big Sandy? Is that IBLP/ATI?

Does anyone know what Brandon does now that he and Michaela moved to TN? I believe he also worked, or works, for IBLP.

Big Sandy is IBLP/ATI. But while there were people at that camp, it's not clear how many. And I'm pretty sure that the big-name families, like the Duggars, get their participation comped--or at least heavily subsidized--in return for speaking....and attracting people with their celebrity. 

Just looking at the main Gothard families we know about, look how few of the big-name families' kids actually seem to show up for events like that any more. Most of the Duggarlings didn't go to that camp, it seems. There haven't been photos of many of the young-generation Bateses at the camps in recent years, even though Gil and Kelly are speakers. Among the Kellers, Anna and Priscilla have always been there, but I don't know about their siblings or their parents. And those families were among the core group. So I'm sure that's happening with many of the other old-time Gothard families as well. 

Brandon is one of many people who did work for them but has for several years just worked for them freelance and remotely, along with taking other clients. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Well as Gothard and his brother(s) watch their empire collapse, they should be grateful they're not doing it from behind bars.

The one who apparently isn't a sexual predator but probably did include some of Bill's faithful among those he financially fleeced may still be in jail. He certainly was in jail recently. 

https://www.bailbondshq.com/collier-inmate-GOTHARD/0001082624

https://www.businessobserverfl.com/article/ad-agency-exec-gets-prison-time-investor-scam

image.png.4b20b8072f47fde929443a4b1fe4a062.png

• Useful 8
15 hours ago, satrunrose said:

I grew up IFB and remained there until my early 20s. The largest family in our church (to my recollection anyway) had 7 children. Most only had between 2-4. While birth control was considered wrong, most families used NFP. I doubt Pris slows down because of this change in job/location. Their quiverful beliefs aren’t going to change even if by chance most of their congregation isn’t also quiverful. They will just continue on welcoming their “blessings”. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 3