Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

And again a small pot to feed that many people.  There may have been other food but you can't see it on the table. 

I spy the big aluminum bowl in its usual spot at the far end. Whatever is in that bowl usually gets eaten first. 

• Love 2
On 9/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, ginger90 said:

5 pictures:

Why didn't Jill make sure her sister's name Amy name wasn't added to her mother's,  Patricia Noyes, bio along with her own name? It would definitely sound better that Mrs. Noyes helps out with the care of her SEVERLY DISABLED daughter even though the accident happened later in Amy's life.

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m SEVERELY shocked that Amy wasn’t mentioned at all! Jill is slipping haha!

I'm hoping that after Jill's last shameless use of her sister's condition to call attention to herself that Amy told her to stop talking about her online.  She should've, IMO.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I'm hoping that after Jill's last shameless use of her sister's condition to call attention to herself that Amy told her to stop talking about her online.  She should've, IMO.

Amy actually asked her to way back when. At least she asked her to do it less often. Jill was providing weekly "updates" on Amy right after the accident. If I'm remembering correctly, Jill told her followers she was reducing the updates to once a month, at Amy's request.

• Useful 3

I may be a little late on this, but do you guys know that there is a Praying for Amy Foster Facebook page? The posts appear to be Amy's words. They include some pictures from the last Joyful Sisters retreat in spring of 2020, including JillR of course.

• Useful 6
10 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I may be a little late on this, but do you guys know that there is a Praying for Amy Foster Facebook page? The posts appear to be Amy's words. They include some pictures from the last Joyful Sisters retreat in spring of 2020, including JillR of course.

i believe that is Jill writing the page from previous conversations here

10 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Wow, Jill's sisters wear very little make-up. What a contrast. And the kids, although skinny, look healthy. If I'm guessing the ages correctly, it seems Amy's twin has had three children since Amy's last child, and Jill has had Janessa. It must be hard for her not to be able to have more children.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I guess Jill didn't bother to teach the proper use of your and you're. 

That's certainly not exclusive to fundies. 

I wonder if Timmy will end up like an Arndt, living at home well into his thirties and beyond. I can see Jill letting the girls marry because 1. Less competition at home; and 2. Grandchildren to glorify Jill. 

8 hours ago, floridamom said:

In these photos, JillR looks like she's gained weight.

Uh oh!  Need to increase the Plexus!

7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Screenshot of video, where Jill states she is not pregnant, and  her hair is so healthy, and growing a lot better,  because of a drink she makes every day.

0D29A69B-0E10-4D4B-BB26-49897D8A43A7.jpeg

She looks truly mad. I feel like she’s been in a real downward spiral recently. Don’t know if it’s nurie leaving, not being pregnant, or what, but she seems to be off the deep end even more than usual. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
16 minutes ago, awaken said:

Uh oh!  Need to increase the Plexus!

She looks truly mad. I feel like she’s been in a real downward spiral recently. Don’t know if it’s nurie leaving, not being pregnant, or what, but she seems to be off the deep end even more than usual. 

Maybe hormone fluctuations with the start of peri-menopause?  Or she just isn't hiding the mental issues as well anymore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Is Kaylee the one looking for a nice farmer?

She's looking for a farmer.  I got the sense she may have been interested in the Bontrager boys, but if they're anything like their father, they're not nice. 

1 hour ago, Heathen said:

That's certainly not exclusive to fundies. 

I wonder if Timmy will end up like an Arndt, living at home well into his thirties and beyond. I can see Jill letting the girls marry because 1. Less competition at home; and 2. Grandchildren to glorify Jill. 

The problem Tim has is that he has to support a wife. The girls can get married once they find a man to support them; the way Nathan is hopefully supporting Nurie with his lawncare business. Tim has no money to support a wife.

This is crisis for many fundie boys, not just the Rods. The Bowers boys, even the Bates boys to some extent, and many more. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Wow, Jill's sisters wear very little make-up. What a contrast. And the kids, although skinny, look healthy. If I'm guessing the ages correctly, it seems Amy's twin has had three children since Amy's last child, and Jill has had Janessa. It must be hard for her not to be able to have more children.

Jill was pregnant with Sofia when Amy had the accident. She threw a baby shower at the hospital. 🙄

• Useful 1
26 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jill was pregnant with Sofia when Amy had the accident. She threw a baby shower at the hospital. 🙄

Indeed, she did.  Jill couldn't possibly miss her baby shower for baby #12 just because her sister was hospitalized after a near-fatal accident.  She also held said shower for herself in a public area in the hospital, I think it was the cafeteria, but it might have been a public lounge.  Because what could possibly be more important than giving Jill presents?

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

She's looking for a farmer.  I got the sense she may have been interested in the Bontrager boys, but if they're anything like their father, they're not nice. 

The problem Tim has is that he has to support a wife. The girls can get married once they find a man to support them; the way Nathan is hopefully supporting Nurie with his lawncare business. Tim has no money to support a wife.

This is crisis for many fundie boys, not just the Rods. The Bowers boys, even the Bates boys to some extent, and many more. 

You'd think these families would plan for their sons. Not every family business is robust enough to bring in and support a slew of young men, and not all these guys are going to be successful preachers, the other option. 

Missionary pilot would have been a good career for Tim, but Jill kind of blew it for him. She didn't give him an education, so he struggled in regular school. Then she confused control for support and made everything about her needs instead of his success. Grifter David is no role model either. 

One son can become a printer and get by like his parents. The rest could learn trades, David seems to have picked up some construction skills, but to make a living, the boys need real apprenticeships and licenses and will have to venture into the evil secular world.

Even most animals by instinct teach their young important survival skills. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

One son can become a printer and get by like his parents. The rest could learn trades, David seems to have picked up some construction skills, but to make a living, the boys need real apprenticeships and licenses and will have to venture into the evil secular world

I'm surprised Jill hasn't sent the boys out to start a lawn mower business like Nathan has.  Now that the "house" is finished more or less, what is going to keep those three boys busy?  Of course, pandemic or not, they may soon hit the road~

• Love 4
4 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

You'd think these families would plan for their sons. Not every family business is robust enough to bring in and support a slew of young men, and not all these guys are going to be successful preachers, the other option. 

Missionary pilot would have been a good career for Tim, but Jill kind of blew it for him. She didn't give him an education, so he struggled in regular school. Then she confused control for support and made everything about her needs instead of his success. Grifter David is no role model either. 

One son can become a printer and get by like his parents. The rest could learn trades, David seems to have picked up some construction skills, but to make a living, the boys need real apprenticeships and licenses and will have to venture into the evil secular world.

Even most animals by instinct teach their young important survival skills. 

Is Missionary pilot a real career? I've never known anyone with that job and it seems dubious to me. He'd be the pilot version of David.

As mentioned this is a common problem for fundie boys, not just the Rod boys. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That may be the most quintessential Jill thing that Jill has ever done. It actually sums her up quite nicely. Jill is indeed the worst.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

Is Missionary pilot a real career? I've never known anyone with that job and it seems dubious to me. He'd be the pilot version of David.

This is where it gets confusing to me. These patriarchal religions disadvantage future patriarchs. Is watching their bright and hopeful sons reach adulthood unprepared, a thing? Like, do they do it on purpose?

• Useful 7
  • Love 6

Oh, I forgot. The Plath's show is returning to TLC in November. The parents moved off the farm and into the city area. Nearby the model son and singing sister share a home. The oldest boy and his wife have cut ties with the parents.

JillR must be in full Jan Brady mode. She has close ties with the Plaths, loose ties with the Duggars and Bates, and they all have shows which brings fans and money, while JillR is relegated to selling Plexus and grifting on SM. 

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 11
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Temperance said:

Yeah, it's a real career. The most serious part of it is people who fly in various kinds of aid to remote areas as part of their conversion work.

Because it sounds romantic and involve the idea of conversion, I'm sure there are silly organizations who do it just to drop pamphlets on people or something, but it's long been an enterprise carried out by some of the most serious types of missionaries, too, because of what planes can do to reach people and to help them in many kinds of remote places that other forms of hauling yourself in and out can't manage.

The woman in this story was part of the upstanding tradition of missionary piloting.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2020/may/missionary-pilot-joyce-lin-died-papua-crash.html

A40-year-old American missionary pilot delivering COVID-19 supplies to remote villages died in a plane crash in Indonesia on Tuesday.

Joyce Lin, a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF), was transporting rapid test kits and school supplies to a village in Papua, the easternmost province in the far-flung island chain. She took off from the city of Sentani at 6:27 a.m. and made a distress call two minutes later, MAF spokesman Brad Hoaglun said. A search-and-rescue team found her Kodiak 100 airplane crashed into nearby Lake Sentani and recovered her body from about 40 feet under the water, according to local police.

Lin was an experienced pilot and a certified flight instructor. She completed her first solo flight for MAF in March. Approved to fly to 20 villages (of about 150 served by MAF), she led the drive to procure soap for missionaries and aid workers dealing with the threat of coronavirus and transported medicine, COVID-19 tests, and personal protective equipment across the area.

“We feel a great sense of loss but a great sense of comfort as well, because Joyce was doing what she loved to do and she was faithful to the calling that God had placed on her life,” David Holsten, president of MAF, told Christianity Today. “She gave her life serving the Lord in a way that was impacting others.”

MAF has not had a fatal accident in 23 years, Holsten said. Civil aviation authorities are investigating the cause of the crash. There were no other passengers on board because of coronavirus flight restrictions, according to Hoaglun. Travel remains restricted in Indonesia, but MAF has permission to fly cargo and people facing medical emergencies.

A graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Lin had planned and trained to become a missionary pilot for a decade. She first interned with MAF in 2010, earned her commercial license in 2015, and moved to Papua in 2019.

“It felt amazing to land the Kodiak on my own for the first time,” she wrote in a support-raising letter in December. “This has been my dream airplane ever since I found out about mission aviation. I landed the Kodiak at both paved and unpaved airstrips and practiced emergency procedures.”

Lin was raised in Colorado and Maryland, the daughter of Taiwanese Christian immigrants. She became a Christian as a child through an outreach program at a local evangelical church. After earning a degree in computer science from MIT and working in IT for a decade, Lin felt called to ministry. At Gordon-Conwell, she discovered missionary aviation: a job that combined her interests in flying, her computer skills, and her call to Christian service.

She was immediately convinced of God’s calling and reoriented her life around the goal of becoming a missionary pilot. In addition to flying supplies to missionaries and humanitarian aid workers in Papua, she helped set up and maintained a computer system to give them access to the internet.

In December, Lin defended the work of the missionaries in a letter to her friends and family back in the United States.

“Before anyone objects to Christians or Westerners changing the way other people live,” she wrote, “it’s important to know that Papua was not a tropical paradise before the arrival of Christian missionaries. Papuan tribes lived to kill one another. … People lived in constant fear of other tribes and the spirit world.”

On one of her first flights for MAF, Lin had to divert to Wamena—the largest town in the Papua highlands—because of bad weather. At the airport, she discovered a woman in need of an emergency evacuation flight for major surgery. All flights were canceled because of the COVID-19 lockdown, but Lin was allowed to fly the woman to Sentani.

Lin saw this as evidence God was using her.

“There is a famous verse that Christians like to quote from Romans 8:28,” she wrote, “which says God is able to work all things together for the good of those he called according to his purpose. As I’ve looked back on my life, it has been cool to see the many ways in which this verse has been true in this calling to serve in Indonesia.”

On Tuesday, a small memorial of red roses was left on the runway in the highlands village where Lin was scheduled to land. “Pilot Joyce Lin,” one card read, “till we meet again.”

Lin is survived by her parents and two sisters.

• Useful 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is where it gets confusing to me. These patriarchal religions disadvantage future patriarchs.

Sort of proves that a lot of the guys practicing these religious are really just preaching what they preach and doing what they do as a way of preserving their own positions as number-one big shot, doesn't it?

The Old Testament and other actual texts that found these various religions are much more mixed in this way, as far as I've been able to discern. Some of this me-me-me stuff shows up in the stories, but often an intent for patriarchs to foster and pave the way for younger generations rather than grabbing for and glorifying themselves is expressed pretty clearly.

Kind of the way many governments, especially modern ones, are set up with the stated intent of rulers promoting the good of the people and of the country as a whole. But then you get a lot of individual rulers who don't give a crap for that and use their positions to enrich themselves and get their own personal egos worshipped.

That's how people are. But I think for some founders of religions and governments, at least, the hope is to build systems and establish ideals to hedge against that kind of selfishness. (in other cases, not so much, of course..-- sorry, LDS, I think it's pretty clear that Joseph Smith was just in it for himself.....)

Seems like the life of many institutions  is a battle between individual egos grabbing and others who try to build or at least envision some structure that would promote a larger good (and that battles like this aren't in the least confined to patriarchal churches).

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, it's a real career. The most serious part of it is people who fly in various kinds of aid to remote areas as part of their conversion work.

Because it sounds romantic and involve the idea of conversion, I'm sure there are silly organizations who do it just to drop pamphlets on people or something, but it's long been an enterprise carried out by some of the most serious types of missionaries, too, because of what planes can do to reach people and to help them in many kinds of remote places that other forms of hauling yourself in and out can't manage.

The woman in this story was part of the upstanding tradition of missionary piloting.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2020/may/missionary-pilot-joyce-lin-died-papua-crash.html

A40-year-old American missionary pilot delivering COVID-19 supplies to remote villages died in a plane crash in Indonesia on Tuesday.

Joyce Lin, a pilot with Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF), was transporting rapid test kits and school supplies to a village in Papua, the easternmost province in the far-flung island chain. She took off from the city of Sentani at 6:27 a.m. and made a distress call two minutes later, MAF spokesman Brad Hoaglun said. A search-and-rescue team found her Kodiak 100 airplane crashed into nearby Lake Sentani and recovered her body from about 40 feet under the water, according to local police.

Lin was an experienced pilot and a certified flight instructor. She completed her first solo flight for MAF in March. Approved to fly to 20 villages (of about 150 served by MAF), she led the drive to procure soap for missionaries and aid workers dealing with the threat of coronavirus and transported medicine, COVID-19 tests, and personal protective equipment across the area.

“We feel a great sense of loss but a great sense of comfort as well, because Joyce was doing what she loved to do and she was faithful to the calling that God had placed on her life,” David Holsten, president of MAF, told Christianity Today. “She gave her life serving the Lord in a way that was impacting others.”

MAF has not had a fatal accident in 23 years, Holsten said. Civil aviation authorities are investigating the cause of the crash. There were no other passengers on board because of coronavirus flight restrictions, according to Hoaglun. Travel remains restricted in Indonesia, but MAF has permission to fly cargo and people facing medical emergencies.

A graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Lin had planned and trained to become a missionary pilot for a decade. She first interned with MAF in 2010, earned her commercial license in 2015, and moved to Papua in 2019.

“It felt amazing to land the Kodiak on my own for the first time,” she wrote in a support-raising letter in December. “This has been my dream airplane ever since I found out about mission aviation. I landed the Kodiak at both paved and unpaved airstrips and practiced emergency procedures.”

Lin was raised in Colorado and Maryland, the daughter of Taiwanese Christian immigrants. She became a Christian as a child through an outreach program at a local evangelical church. After earning a degree in computer science from MIT and working in IT for a decade, Lin felt called to ministry. At Gordon-Conwell, she discovered missionary aviation: a job that combined her interests in flying, her computer skills, and her call to Christian service.

She was immediately convinced of God’s calling and reoriented her life around the goal of becoming a missionary pilot. In addition to flying supplies to missionaries and humanitarian aid workers in Papua, she helped set up and maintained a computer system to give them access to the internet.

In December, Lin defended the work of the missionaries in a letter to her friends and family back in the United States.

“Before anyone objects to Christians or Westerners changing the way other people live,” she wrote, “it’s important to know that Papua was not a tropical paradise before the arrival of Christian missionaries. Papuan tribes lived to kill one another. … People lived in constant fear of other tribes and the spirit world.”

On one of her first flights for MAF, Lin had to divert to Wamena—the largest town in the Papua highlands—because of bad weather. At the airport, she discovered a woman in need of an emergency evacuation flight for major surgery. All flights were canceled because of the COVID-19 lockdown, but Lin was allowed to fly the woman to Sentani.

Lin saw this as evidence God was using her.

“There is a famous verse that Christians like to quote from Romans 8:28,” she wrote, “which says God is able to work all things together for the good of those he called according to his purpose. As I’ve looked back on my life, it has been cool to see the many ways in which this verse has been true in this calling to serve in Indonesia.”

On Tuesday, a small memorial of red roses was left on the runway in the highlands village where Lin was scheduled to land. “Pilot Joyce Lin,” one card read, “till we meet again.”

Lin is survived by her parents and two sisters.

This heroic woman was a graduate of MIT who spent TEN YEARS working in IT while preparing to do missionary pilot work.  She also was carrying COVID supplies like soap, medication and personal protective equipment to remote areas.  Any resemblance to Tim Rodrigues is purely superficial.   The Rods don't believe in charity (except as receivers) here in the US, there is no way Tim's missionary pilot ambitions included doing the sorts of things this woman was doing. 

Also, while missionary pilot is an actual profession, the number of job openings in the field is very small and the compensation is minimal.  Tim's odds of finding a position that would pay enough to support a quiverful are very small.  He will end up like his father,  begging for handouts to support the family.

On the TLC shows, we only see the fundies who've 'made it', mainly by getting a TV show.  The patriarchs of these clans were barely scraping by, often relying on donations from other fundie families to keep a roof over their heads.  We know that the Duggars and the Bates were in dire straits until the TV money started rolling in.  The standard of living in most  of these patriarchal fundie families is pretty awful.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 18
15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Indeed, she did.  Jill couldn't possibly miss her baby shower for baby #12 just because her sister was hospitalized after a near-fatal accident.  She also held said shower for herself in a public area in the hospital, I think it was the cafeteria, but it might have been a public lounge.  Because what could possibly be more important than giving Jill presents?

If I recall, she even taped up gaudy signs OVER important hospital signs!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, louannems said:

If I recall, she even taped up gaudy signs OVER important hospital signs!

Of course they did!  It was very important that EVERYONE passing by know that Jilly was expecting and that she'd SACRIFICED her own baby shower in order to support her poor severely quadriplegic sister.  In case any strangers wanted to praise her selflessness or contribute some cash, because Jill is such a giver.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh, I forgot. The Plath's show is returning to TLC in November. The parents moved off the farm and into the city area. Nearby the model son and singing sister share a home. The oldest boy and his wife have cut ties with the parents.

JillR must be in full Jan Brady mode. She has close ties with the Plaths, loose ties with the Duggars and Bates, and they all have shows which brings fans and money, while JillR is relegated to selling Plexus and grifting on SM. 

Here's what Jill will never understand.... the Plath show was mostly about their kids trying to break away from the parents and forge their own paths. Jill will never allow anything like that. 

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

5 “videos “. If you’re prone to motion sickness, just view them as still pictures!

Look! We do feed all our kids! See the food at their mouths? Told you I feed them!

That looks like David in the back at a separate table NOT eating crappy nachos for dinner. 

• Love 14

Does she direct them to all take a bite at the same time for her pictures so she can prove that not only does she feed all of her kids, she actually lets them chew and swallow whatever grease-laden crap she buys for them?  

Note that Tim did not do as directed and eat a soggy nacho for Mommy.  I admire his bravery.  Hope he doesn't have to sleep on a wooden pallet in the backyard now.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

Here's what Jill will never understand.... the Plath show was mostly about their kids trying to break away from the parents and forge their own paths. Jill will never allow anything like that. 

This. And the Plath patriarch has an actual job. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

5 “videos “. If you’re prone to motion sickness, just view them as still pictures!

I will never believe that I, Timothy is a natural blonde.

6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

This heroic woman was a graduate of MIT who spent TEN YEARS working in IT while preparing to do missionary pilot work.  She also was carrying COVID supplies like soap, medication and personal protective equipment to remote areas.  Any resemblance to Tim Rodrigues is purely superficial.   The Rods don't believe in charity (except as receivers) here in the US, there is no way Tim's missionary pilot ambitions included doing the sorts of things this woman was doing. 

Also, while missionary pilot is an actual profession, the number of job openings in the field is very small and the compensation is minimal.  Tim's odds of finding a position that would pay enough to support a quiverful are very small.  He will end up like his father,  begging for handouts to support the family.

On the TLC shows, we only see the fundies who've 'made it', mainly by getting a TV show.  The patriarchs of these clans were barely scraping by, often relying on donations from other fundie families to keep a roof over their heads.  We know that the Duggars and the Bates were in dire straits until the TV money started rolling in.  The standard of living in most  of these patriarchal fundie families is pretty awful.

I read their first book,and JB had money,he just didn't spend it on his family.They were accepting donations when he spent $10,000 on a billboard sign to advertise his convenience stores,and $100,000 to get into politics.Cash of course;Jb doesn't do debt

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well, Timmy, you can sleep in the car tonight, but as you SEVERELY neglected to mention your Sainted Mother, you still can’t sleep in the Barndo until you’ve learned your lesson.

I wonder if some of the kids sleep in the car on rv trips.Maybe that was another reason Jill grifted a car

Edited by sondraK