Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Nysha said:

These days I'd take a good smorgasbord over sex in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd take a good pizza.

I could live w/o the kissing photos, but she doesn't seem traumatized by her first intimate everything. They appear pretty comfortable together. 

I too have had a smorgasm. Too bad every place with a buffet will likely go under thanks to Covid.

I’m glad she does look relaxed. At least a positive sign. Of course, anyone would be relaxed to get away from her mother and family,  no matter who she married. 

• Love 14

The thing I notice most is how much less lopsided her smile is without Momma behind the camera. She really does look so much happier. I hope she got to eat her fill at the restaurants as well, but I also think that it will take some time before her "fill" really equals that of the average person. Still, given that the average person is definitely on the tippier end of the scale, maybe she will find a happy medium. Nathan is very thin as well, and I don't think his family withholds food as much as the Rods seem to (when it comes to the kids, anyway), so it will be interesting to see how much is metabolism vs learned behavior over the course of the first few years.

Also, am I the only one who read Jill's comment on their honeymoon of "they did a lot" as "they did it a lot"?

• LOL 13
  • Love 10

Nurthan look happy and relaxed, good for them. I hope it continues. 

As for Nurie finally getting decent portion sizes, I hope she's easing into it and not just gobbling up everything in sight. As someone who has dealt with an eating disorder (not that Nurie has one but it seems like she was fed very small amounts by her terrible mother), it can be hard on your system when you start eating normally again. Stuff comes back up or goes right through you, you can have cramping and other icky reactions. I also hope that her mind isn't warped by her upbringing and she doesn't freak out if she gains some weight. 

• Love 18
37 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Nurthan look happy and relaxed, good for them. I hope it continues. 

As for Nurie finally getting decent portion sizes, I hope she's easing into it and not just gobbling up everything in sight. As someone who has dealt with an eating disorder (not that Nurie has one but it seems like she was fed very small amounts by her terrible mother), it can be hard on your system when you start eating normally again. Stuff comes back up or goes right through you, you can have cramping and other icky reactions. I also hope that her mind isn't warped by her upbringing and she doesn't freak out if she gains some weight. 

That’s what I was thinking - that those tapes of “momma” could be playing in her head - must stay thin to be loved, etc. They do look happy. I hope they are. 

• Love 13

I wonder if Nathan and his brother will still wear matching outfits now that Nurie is around. Pris and TFDW always seem to match, so maybe it’s a Keller family tradition. Do we know if Nathan has a place to live other than his parents home? His brother David is now the only single one, IIRC. Is he still at home?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Hopefully her skin will have a chance to clear up without the spackle. She looks really pretty without the makeup and teased frizz. And she looks happy with him.

Love that they went to Miller's Smorgasbord. They have a huge variety of really delicious hearty foods, all you can eat. Probably more food than Nurie was allowed to eat all last year.

The buffet at Miller’s is almost $26 w/o tax and tip.  I can’t imagine them spending almost $60 on a meal.  Nurie probably ordered from the kids menu or something cheap from the regular menu, and Nathan probably did the same.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

The buffet at Miller’s is almost $26 w/o tax and tip.  I can’t imagine them spending almost $60 on a meal.  Nurie probably ordered from the kids menu or something cheap from the regular menu, and Nathan probably did the same.

Well, whatever it was. was probably leaps and bounds more than she's been used to. Frankly, the buffet would probably have been way more than she could handle. 

Though, didn't Nathan treat the Rods to Golden Corral sometime fairly recently? So I suppose that at least the concept of unlimited food was not new to her. 

• Love 9

I was just watching Erin Paine's vid on how she was worried she wasn't really saved when she was child.I hate the way fundie parents teach that lead to a child to think such things.A child is innocent;they should never worry about that

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 15

Is the all-you-can-eat section even open? That's not allowed in my area yet.

I'm glad Nat and Nur are looking relaxed and calm. In just a few days Nurie is going to find herself alone, without the chaos of her family around her. Going from dependent child among a zoo of siblings, to a wife and homemaker in a house of two, is going to be a shock to the system. I hope the quiet is enjoyable rather than deafening for her.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm glad Nat and Nur are looking relaxed and calm. In just a few days Nurie is going to find herself alone, without the chaos of her family around her. Going from dependent child among a zoo of siblings, to a wife and homemaker in a house of two, is going to be a shock to the system. I hope the quiet is enjoyable rather than deafening for her.

Yes,I hope she stays busy with homemaking,and Jill isn't bothering her every 2 secs to see how she is

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

That is very true. When the first mr lookeyloo and I got married we moved about an hours ride away. I had quit my job and he was in medical school so long hours. I was bored and lonely and homesick for my brothers. Only two of them and one of me but still someone to talk to etc.  After 6 weeks I got a job. Sadly Nurie will not have that option and could easily find herself at loose ends after she does her woman’s work. I’m guessing that’s part of what made Jill Dillard such a clinger in the beginning. She probably had the job option with derick but her own head kept her from it. There’s only so much dusting and bible reading a girl can do!  (No bible reading in my case)

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

That is very true. When the first mr lookeyloo and I got married we moved about an hours ride away. I had quit my job and he was in medical school so long hours. I was bored and lonely and homesick for my brothers. Only two of them and one of me but still someone to talk to etc.  After 6 weeks I got a job. Sadly Nurie will not have that option and could easily find herself at loose ends after she does her woman’s work. I’m guessing that’s part of what made Jill Dillard such a clinger in the beginning. She probably had the job option with derick but her own head kept her from it. There’s only so much dusting and bible reading a girl can do!  (No bible reading in my case)

Nurie and the Duggar girls saw their dads at home all the time. I'm not sure they understand/understood that even some Fundy husbands need to work outside the home.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Nurie and the Duggar girls saw their dads at home all the time. I'm not sure they understand/understood that even some Fundy husbands need to work outside the home.

Agree. But they might still feel lonely at home alone with nothing to do. They don’t have any hobbies like sewing, knitting etc. just sitting and clock watching  after woman’s work day after day is boring. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes, it is. They are operating at 25% capacity.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 3
26 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Agree. But they might still feel lonely at home alone with nothing to do. They don’t have any hobbies like sewing, knitting etc. just sitting and clock watching  after woman’s work day after day is boring. 

maybe she will be a Jill Duggar type clinger. bringing her man lunch everyday. 

how long until Timothy needs to move in with them to continue his missionary pilot training in Fla. or Phillip or Samuel start working for Nathan and David's lawn care service?

• Love 1
On 8/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, Absolom said:

I've seen far too many women thinner than Nurie get pregnant to think she can't.  

I agree with you & I was one of those thin ladies.

I was very thin when I got pregnant & it  took us only two months of trying.  When my OB was looking over my chart on the first visit he said I would have no problem with my weight since I was underweight to start with. I ate healthy and ended up gaining about 60 pounds total. I barely looked like I was pregnant throughout the entire 9 months.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, sondraK said:

Yes,I hope she stays busy with homemaking,and Jill isn't bothering her every 2 secs to see how she is

Nathan will need his cell phone with him.  Nurie would likely never do it, but the smart thing would be for her to never give her mother her own cell phone number when they get her one.  

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

how long until Timothy needs to move in with them to continue his missionary pilot training in Fla. or Phillip or Samuel start working for Nathan and David's lawn care service?

I don't have a problem with Timothy moving in with them at some point in the future. She and Tim had been pretty close before he left for college. Tim seemed to loosen up a bit away from the best mama ever and he definitely ate like a normal person. Maybe David Waller could find him a nice wife while he's there.

JillR isn't going to release Phillip or Samuel anytime soon. She saw what happened to Tim, so I doubt they're going to be encouraged to follow their dreams unless it's to stay home and work for Shrek.

• Love 9

Jill needs to keep at least one older daughter (Kaylee or Renee) at home for a while too. Somebody has to take care of the housework and childcare while Jill is ranting on social media, saving Amish souls, shilling plexus, shopping and decorating, and satisfying Big Hubby. At least two boys will go into the print business. It's not clear what other skills they have. 

Part of Jill's grift is the church performances. How many kids can move far away without disrupting the Rodrigues Family Roadshow? 

You know she's calculating all of this. Her plan is God's plan. 

• Love 5

I get the feeling that Jill Rod will make sure all of her boys can support themselves as adults.  Jill's brand of narcissism requires all of them to have enough income to shower Mamma with gifts.  She needs her boys making money for this to happen.  I'm sure one of the boys will be the sacrificial lamb successor of David's business to keep on printin' the word of the lordt, but the rest all will have Jill approved jobs.  Jill can't have all of them still living at home draining precious resources away from her.  

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Jill needs to keep at least one older daughter (Kaylee or Renee) at home for a while too. Somebody has to take care of the housework and childcare while Jill is ranting on social media, saving Amish souls, shilling plexus, shopping and decorating, and satisfying Big Hubby. At least two boys will go into the print business. It's not clear what other skills they have. 

Part of Jill's grift is the church performances. How many kids can move far away without disrupting the Rodrigues Family Roadshow? 

You know she's calculating all of this. Her plan is God's plan. 

I don't think Jill will keep her other adult daughters single for too long. Right now it might be harder for them to meet someone, but Jill will probably try to marry them off when it's possible. Her oldest non-adult daughter is 13. That's old enough to be helping mama. I don't expect any other Rod girls to get married this year, but maybe sometime in the next 2 years. By then the 13 year old will be 15 and she'll be trying to deal with multiple adult sons.

I think her sons will have to get jobs, but those jobs will hard to get. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Nurie does sew.  The little girls have worn dresses that she made for them.  In fact, she could now sew garments for other fundies and that would keep her busy plus she would make a little money doing it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I get the feeling that Jill Rod will make sure all of her boys can support themselves as adults.  Jill's brand of narcissism requires all of them to have enough income to shower Mamma with gifts.  She needs her boys making money for this to happen.  I'm sure one of the boys will be the sacrificial lamb successor of David's business to keep on printin' the word of the lordt, but the rest all will have Jill approved jobs.  Jill can't have all of them still living at home draining precious resources away from her.  

yet Timbits left to go far away and be trained to a "calling" - moved somewhere else because the first "calling" wasn't free/couldn't be grifted  or he couldn't meet the requirements, same with the second. now he is back living "near us" and eating dinner with them in the bardo

29 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Nurie does sew.  The little girls have worn dresses that she made for them.  In fact, she could now sew garments for other fundies and that would keep her busy plus she would make a little money doing it.

Well, yay! Glad to hear!  Michaela Bates had a little cottage industry making baby clothes she sold. Before she went to nursing school.  Maybe Nurie will figure something productive out.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

yet Timbits left to go far away and be trained to a "calling" - moved somewhere else because the first "calling" wasn't free/couldn't be grifted  or he couldn't meet the requirements, same with the second. now he is back living "near us" and eating dinner with them in the bardo

I know, but I think Timbits has moved to Ohio but not home.  I think he has some kind of job while he still pursues his pilot's license unless Jill has grifted the necessary hours for flights.  He is most likely living on the compound in the RV while working.  I can see Jill charging him rent or room & board and that money is being used to help finance the family staycation the Rods had last week.  

14 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Well, yay! Glad to hear!  Michaela Bates had a little cottage industry making baby clothes she sold. Before she went to nursing school.  Maybe Nurie will figure something productive out.

Nurie had an Etsy store where she sold jewelry.  No idea if she is still operating.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

She has an Etsy page where she sold handmade jewelry. Maybe she can get back to that.

eta: I should read all the responses before posting. 😁

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, crazy8s said:

My guess is greatest mama and the not Nuries kept all the makeup in the barndo, Tessie or whomever just turned 13 will need it soon. so unless Nathan has the money/gives her the money to buy more, Nurie will wear less makeup

I may cry when I see the first photo of Tessie with caked-on makeup.  She is so naturally pretty.  She does not NEED Dollar Tree foundation and the blue eyeshadow palette from LA Colors.  But alas, I get this way with the younger Duggar daughters too.  They should be trying out for the middle school soccer team and worrying about writing their book report for English class, not preparing to be hooked out by their mother and sold to the highest Fundie bidder and getting ready to have four kids by the time they're old enough to legally drink.  It makes me so sad.

• Love 4

I don’t recall communicating with my parents while we were on our honeymoon. I know they had the name of where we stayed, and the contact information, if for some reason it was necessary to reach us. It was 34 years ago, but my memory is not that bad to forget such a thing.

• Love 9