Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

It just occurred to me that my (remote) coworker who is in Ohio had to go to a wedding this weekend. He has mentioned that his family is religious and conservative (he’s the odd man out). Now I’m hoping that he went to Ashley’s wedding and can report back. Probably not the same wedding, but I’m so very bored these days that I’m just going to pretend it was and that he will have interesting stories on Monday.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7

I saw Ashley's wedding video. I thought she looked like a supermodel, but her groom seemed so stiff and humorless. Maybe he's one of those guys who's uncomfortable with being the center of attention but it almost looked like he pushed her away after a very G-rated kiss.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I would never buy a CD from a grown-ass man who is incapable of using his own social media account to announce he was releasing one. 

Also:

784724773_ScreenShot2020-08-08at4_07_33PM.png.7d9da9c20c41e37372f32e551d3cfef2.png

At what point in time did he seemingly have a stroke and lose the ability to write?

And not a ringing endorsement: "It's not professional but I'm proud of it."

Timechy , that's how I read his name .

5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Rods do laser tag. How much did this cost?

Oh look Nurie, you dared to leave me and now I'm punishing you by taking your siblings out to have fun without you .

• Love 10

I think Tim's signature feels odd is because it looks like he was practicing how to write his name in cursive. Most adults have a signature they write very quickly from years of practice signing documents. Signatures are not necessarily meant to be readable, just strong, distinctive, and consistent.  

I normally print when I write because when I was teaching ESL, I found many of the students couldn't read cursive and were too polite to tell me. Now a lot of young Americans can't read it either. My own grown kids learned cursive in school but always print instead. Mostly, we type. 

As for Michelle's printing her signature and dotting the "i" with a heart, I simply have no words. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

I don't really have a signaturely signature of my own , I sort of stole it .   In elementary school we got 3 marks in German class, one for spelling (Rechtschreibung) , one for how your writing looked like (called Schrift ) and one for reading (Lesen)  . I sucked in Schrift , I was so bad that one time  my teacher refused to read it . But my marks for Rechtschreibung and Lesen was perfect so I went to tackle Schrift . I started almost painting my letters , it took for ever but suddenly it was perfect . Except I had started to focus so much on Schrift that I forgot that maybe I also should know how to spell . Better Schrift marks led to worse spelling grades . That was the moment I stopped bothering with how my writing looked . Fast forward to 8th grade and I had started to experiment with it again . Now I went from cursive to a sort of fast printed style . I was also rebelling , not caring about school and rapidly collecting failed tests , all of them needed to be signed by a parent . I became my parent and forged my mother's signature  ... which is still mine today , just that I write my name  the way she signs hers.  

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, lianau said:

I don't really have a signaturely signature of my own , I sort of stole it .   In elementary school we got 3 marks in German class, one for spelling (Rechtschreibung) , one for how your writing looked like (called Schrift ) and one for reading (Lesen)  . I sucked in Schrift , I was so bad that one time  my teacher refused to read it . But my marks for Rechtschreibung and Lesen was perfect so I went to tackle Schrift . I started almost painting my letters , it took for ever but suddenly it was perfect . Except I had started to focus so much on Schrift that I forgot that maybe I also should know how to spell . Better Schrift marks led to worse spelling grades . That was the moment I stopped bothering with how my writing looked . Fast forward to 8th grade and I had started to experiment with it again . Now I went from cursive to a sort of fast printed style . I was also rebelling , not caring about school and rapidly collecting failed tests , all of them needed to be signed by a parent . I became my parent and forged my mother's signature  ... which is still mine today , just that I write my name  the way she signs hers.  

Taking my reply to Small Talk! 🙂 

4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's only 7 minutes or so. They had a beautiful space.

Yes I watched it now. The space was beautiful. They didn't know how to really dance. Dancing lessons would have been a good idea?

They were dancing to Tim McGraw's It's Your Love. 

2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Where is this wedding video? Is it Marjorie Jackson's, Josiah's ex-courting partner?

It's a fundie named Ashley Salyer who used to court/date Nathan Bates.

15 hours ago, Temperance said:

All the music was live. The music choices were the most surprising part. They did On Eagle's Wings at a protestant fundie wedding despite it being a Catholic hymn.  They did a mash-up of Joyful, Joyful We Adore You (Ode to Joy) and Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, King of Creation. They sang Lord of All Hopefulness, which possibly different words although hard to tell. They left the ceremony as the singers sang Bryan Adams' Here I Am.

On Eagle's Wings isn't one I'd think of as a wedding song.  We heathen Catholics tend to use that one at funerals.  In my family, Eagle's Wings, along with Be Not Afraid and How Great Thou Art are our go-to hymns for funerals.

We used to sing Praise to the Lord as an entrance hymn at Mass all the time when I was a kid.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

If you do watch the wedding, you can fast forward through the first 20 minutes which is when the processional with the attendants starts.  The venue is under a tent outdoors and there are huge gaps between the bridesmaids; the bride isn't there until around 24 minutes.  The wedding guests are not socially distanced and no masks that I saw anyway.  Looked to be around 100 guests.  Ashley had around 6 bridesmaids.  The musicians who played were pretty good, IMO.

Ashley's behavior was kinda casual; she kept waving at people, looking around and exchanging looks with people in the crowd during the hymns.

They also sing 'Be Thou My Vision' a beautiful old hymn, Van Morrison does a terrific version of it on one of his albums.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Ok sooooo, don’t want to be too accusatory...but it’s very odd that Jill and OfJill are doing all these SUPER FUN things with the Rodlets while Nurie is on her honeymoon.  And where would this money come from?  All these things are not cheap. 

It looks like they are at the Acres of Fun Amusement place near them. https://acresoffun.com/

they offer group rates or a pick 3 package that is $18 per pesron over 6. I wonder if you do the pick 3 if you have to use them all the same day or over several days. I can sort of see Jill taking them for one thing per day and stretching things into a "wonderful week of fun and mourning nurie"

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

It looks like they are at the Acres of Fun Amusement place near them. https://acresoffun.com/

they offer group rates or a pick 3 package that is $18 per pesron over 6. I wonder if you do the pick 3 if you have to use them all the same day or over several days. I can sort of see Jill taking them for one thing per day and stretching things into a "wonderful week of fun and mourning nurie"

Anyone wanna bet that Nurie and Nathan gifted them with tickets as part of their 'thank you, Mama, for the most wonderful wedding ever'?

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Ok sooooo, don’t want to be too accusatory...but it’s very odd that Jill and OfJill are doing all these SUPER FUN things with the Rodlets while Nurie is on her honeymoon.  And where would this money come from?  All these things are not cheap.  Someone who supposedly doesn’t have two nickels to rub together and just paid for a wedding (supposedly) and remodeled a living facility (I honestly have difficulty calling it a house) most likely would not have the money to do stuff like this with the whole family for a day, let alone a week. Just saying.  And to have the family dip into a depression like that is not normal.  Not at all.  It’s actually super creepy.  Miss her, yes.  Mourn her?  Hell no!  I hope beyond hope that Nathan puts his foot down about visits and keeps the Rods at arms length.   Otherwise I’m seeing the first of many intrusive visits to Florida in the very near future.  And that would be so very sad.  
Oh, and as a fun aside, my guy lives not far from the Rods (less than an hour away).  We were prepping to host some friends for a fire the other night.   He asked me to get a cheese and cracker plate started...with cheese that came from the Cheese Barn!   I have to say it is super good.  But I cracked up the whole time I was putting it together.  

Like some passive aggressive punishment . You left me , now watch me having FUN !!! without you . You could have had that too but you chose to abandon me . 

42 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Oh, Amish people. Why bother to live this hard, traditional way of life if Jill Rodrigues knows who is and isn't saved among you? If you're not saved (per JRod), go buy a computer,TV, RV and enjoy. Her family has these things. And Amish ladies, hit the Dollar Store and buy a cartload of makeup and hair products and tart yourselves up 'cause there's nothing worldly about that. 

And apparently Jill owns them too . "Our Amish " .

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

10 pictures:

Nathan's flag mask is upside down (or the flags are, anyway). 

Nurie has pretty bad acne. It's visible in the first photo without her heavy makeup. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Hopefully her skin will have a chance to clear up without the spackle. She looks really pretty without the makeup and teased frizz. And she looks happy with him.

Love that they went to Miller's Smorgasbord. They have a huge variety of really delicious hearty foods, all you can eat. Probably more food than Nurie was allowed to eat all last year.

Yeah, I noticed the acne in the first picture, but I agree she looks so much better with less makeup. I hope the fact that she photographed herself looking so different already means she will be changing up her style a little now that she's away from Jill. I don't recall Jill posting any pictures of Nurie looking that natural. Maybe she finally has the option to go out in public sans makeup if she so chooses!

Glad to hear she may have also gotten the chance to finally eat as much as she wants at that restaurant. I have been pretty freakishly thin for my whole life due to an insane metabolism that thinks it's in some sort of Olympic-level competition...to the point where I can't even increase my life insurance through work because my "height to weight ratio is unacceptable," so I tend to be pretty wary about thinking someone has a disorder or is being starved simply because they are thin. But the Rodrigues kids give me an uneasy feeling deep down in my gut that something just isn't right there. I find it hard to believe they are eating adequately.

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I wonder if Nathan politely suggested she tone down the makeup?  She does look much better and fresher.  They both look happy, 

I feel like he wouldn’t be that brave yet to make suggestions. I’m thinking nurie just didn’t have time to do an extensive am routine what with all the honeymooning. I hope she feels free- and freer each day that goes by, to decide what her adult look will be!  

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, awaken said:

I feel like he wouldn’t be that brave yet to make suggestions.

It could have been quite subtle, like maybe they were planning to head out and she told him she needed to finish her makeup, and he said something like "You look beautiful the way you are!"...

• Love 23
7 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Sex feels good and all, but it's nothing like a good smorgasbord. (At lest to a Rod Kid)

These days I'd take a good smorgasbord over sex in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd take a good pizza.

Nurie looks so happy and relaxed. She isn't using that weird smile all the older Rod girls have. Her clothes don't scream "Look at me, I'm holier than thou!". I could live w/o the kissing photos, but she doesn't seem traumatized by her first intimate everything. They appear pretty comfortable together. 

I really hope they put off having kids for a while and get to know each other and experience a child-free life together. Nurie has been taking care of her siblings all her life, I'd love for her to take some me time.

• Love 18

My guess is greatest mama and the not Nuries kept all the makeup in the barndo, Tessie or whomever just turned 13 will need it soon. so unless Nathan has the money/gives her the money to buy more, Nurie will wear less makeup

• Love 11

Nathan comes from a family where the women were not heavily made up. Nor do they wear multiple modesty layers.  He has siblings who are more “mainstream” too. And to be fair, some who aren’t so mainstream.  So I’m hoping his thoughts are right down the middle.  But chances are he is going to favor a more natural look with Nurie. At least we can hope. 

• Love 14

Omigerd.  Wait.  The Rods went mini golfing on  a super bland course.  One of the honeymoon pics of Nurthan is them on a bland-looking mini golf course. 
Someone took all those pictures of them.   Not all are selfies.   Omigerd.  The Rods (Apparently) spent time with Nurthan on their honeymoon!!!!  At least, they followed them.  Whether the whole thing or just in part.  Or they took the kids where Nurthan went after they had gone. Which is twisted.  Leave them alone!  

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Omigerd.  Wait.  The Rods went mini golfing on  a super bland course.  One of the honeymoon pics of Nurthan is them on a bland-looking mini golf course. 
Someone took all those pictures of them.   Not all are selfies.   Omigerd.  The Rods (Apparently) spent time with Nurthan on their honeymoon!!!!  At least, they followed them.  Whether the whole thing or just in part.  Or they took the kids where Nurthan went after they had gone. Which is twisted.  Leave them alone!  

I think Nathan and Nuri were staying at the Berlin Resort in Amish country which has it's own golf facility that is much nicer. and more like a regular golf practice course than putt-putt. The place where the Rods were golfing was definitely low rent and not at a resort.

For those not familiar with Ohio, its pronounced BER lin, BTW.

Nurie looks so much more relaxed and even her clothing seems less sad and droopy although the pic of them both wearing black and white striped tops with black pants/skirts gives me pause.  Seems like so many fundie couples like to dress alike.  I also hope Nathan told her she looked beautiful and sexy without makeup.

Even if they ordered off the menu at Miller's, it looks like a typical Amish-style eatery which means the portions are HUGE!  Also, the fare is typical hearty Amish with breaded and fried meats, mounds of mashed potatoes and gravy and pie ala mode for dessert.  Nurie would put on a couple pounds just inhaling the delicious aroma in a place like that.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 4
  • Love 16

I can totally see a stranger taking their photos cause it’s their honeymoon. They look really happy. 

I grew up in northern Indiana. Amish food is like the nectar of the gods. There’s not a carb in the world I don’t love. 😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 18