Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@GeeGolly, I’m afraid that won’t do, as the big pocket in the middle of the chest is clearly an eye trap. But, I do like the buttons on the sides that would highlight my birthin’ hips.

Marge, we're having some crazy stormy weather right now. I still have some residual weather anxiety from a weather event back a few years, that rears it's ugly head on occasion. Thank-you for this post. I'm still giggling.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Jill ADMITTED two of her perfect sweet obedient bots forJesus cheated??

Could 2020 get any weirder?

Wait...what?  Cheating is immoral and tantamount to lying. Are these the Christian values Jill espouses?  And not having your kids’ required homeschooling paperwork completed is inexcusable.  Stop shopping at Hobby Lobby for inconsequential CRAP and do what you are supposed to!  

• Love 15

She probably blamed Nurie and Kaylee for not getting the paperwork done. I sincerely doubt Jill is doing any form of homeschooling. 

I do wonder who cheated, though. That's a biggie.

• Love 10
(edited)

I guess Jill could stop some of the decorating long enough to get the kid's schoolwork in order?

But I guess there are no consequences for falling behind? It's not like the parents will be arrested,or even fined? It's not like the kids will be forced to go to school,can they do that? At least not during a pandemic,I would presume.

Jill better be glad.In the old days,if you didn't send your kids to school,there would be a truant officer knocking on your door asap,and you'd better have a good reason for not sending your child to school

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

This FJ poster makes a video to summarize each Jill thread. She made a special one to address this particular issue. Enjoy the rant! 

Who is this woman, and where can I find more of her videos?  What’s the name of her YouTube channel?  She is SPOT ON with everything she said and as an added plus, she hates JRod as much or more than I do!

• Love 13

Farmgal4

After you finish watching the video, you can see her name.  Her videos have dates on them, that makes it easy to find them.  For example, today’s video is 6 29.  

She is on FreeJinger, so you can find her there

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, marypat57 said:

Farmgal4

After you finish watching the video, you can see her name.  Her videos have dates on them, that makes it easy to find them.  For example, today’s video is 6 29.  

She is on FreeJinger, so you can find her there

I hadn't realized after I watched it the first time, that you have to click the icon at the bottom to watch it on YouTube in order to see the creator's info.  I also really wanted to see her content to follow her in the future.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, sondraK said:

I guess Jill could stop some of the decorating long enough to get the kid's schoolwork in order?

But I guess there are no consequences for falling behind? It's not like the parents will be arrested,or even fined? It's not like the kids will be forced to go to school,can they do that? At least not during a pandemic,I would presume.

Jill better be glad.In the old days,if you didn't send your kids to school,there would be a truant officer knocking on your door asap,and you'd better have a good reason for not sending your child to school

Considering the way this past school year fizzled out, I suspect that Jill will get away with her lack of appropriate schooling for her kids, especially since they moved from one state to another in the midst of the pandemic.

In Ohio, she would be required to provide each student with 900 hours of instruction yearly, notify the superintendent of the school district where they live that they are homeschooling and then provide the district with an assessment of the student's progress each year.  That usually means having the child take a standardized test that will allow their progress to be compared with other kids their age.  If the kid doesn't take a standardized test, then a licensed teacher has to review the child's curriculum and see samples of their work and provide written documentation of that the child meets the grade level requirements.

I suspect it was perhaps this testing on which her kids cheated.  Since the testing has to be monitored by an independent third party, I hope they were caught in the act and the school district notified.  If that was the case, then I would expect their standardized testing was deemed invalid and Jill was probably told she had to go the alternate route which would've involved having to find a licensed teacher and pay him or her to assess and write a report on all of the kids being homeschooled.  Chances are, that's why her kids didn't meet the standard.  Alas, with all of the current upheaval in education, she will probably be given a year to make things right.

• Useful 10
  • Love 8

Hooray for Ohio taking homeschooling supervision seriously. And thank you Farmgal4 for that video that cuts JillRod no slack. I doubt Jill will ever see it but who knows.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, EAG46 said:

Hooray for Ohio taking homeschooling supervision seriously. And thank you Farmgal4 for that video that cuts JillRod no slack. I doubt Jill will ever see it but who knows.

I'm pretty sure she reads here, so she very well might see it. 

Jill, if you're reading today: 🖕

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Considering the way this past school year fizzled out, I suspect that Jill will get away with her lack of appropriate schooling for her kids, especially since they moved from one state to another in the midst of the pandemic.

In Ohio, she would be required to provide each student with 900 hours of instruction yearly, notify the superintendent of the school district where they live that they are homeschooling and then provide the district with an assessment of the student's progress each year.  That usually means having the child take a standardized test that will allow their progress to be compared with other kids their age.  If the kid doesn't take a standardized test, then a licensed teacher has to review the child's curriculum and see samples of their work and provide written documentation of that the child meets the grade level requirements.

I suspect it was perhaps this testing on which her kids cheated.  Since the testing has to be monitored by an independent third party, I hope they were caught in the act and the school district notified.  If that was the case, then I would expect their standardized testing was deemed invalid and Jill was probably told she had to go the alternate route which would've involved having to find a licensed teacher and pay him or her to assess and write a report on all of the kids being homeschooled.  Chances are, that's why her kids didn't meet the standard.  Alas, with all of the current upheaval in education, she will probably be given a year to make things right.

Thx for that! I was wondering about it

1 hour ago, EAG46 said:

Yes,amen

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, EAG46 said:

I posted the Jill rant. Credit where it's due (and self-promotion). 😀

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

A licensed teacher would be appalled. Even as a collective, the Rods can't write a full sentence in Standard English. I doubt the young kids' math goes too far beyond the number of animals on the ark or the 6000 years the earth has existed. 

If things get hot, the Rods may have to hit the church singing circuit for a long, long time. Or move again. 

• Love 6

the possibilities on the 2 cheaters is interesting to guess on - did she actually say 2 of the home school children or just 2 of the children?

it might explain why timbits is back home but not living in the house and out of favor with Jill.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

the possibilities on the 2 cheaters is interesting to guess on - did she actually say 2 of the home school children or just 2 of the children?

it might explain why timbits is back home but not living in the house and out of favor with Jill.

She didn't mention any of the kids by name. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, EAG46 said:

Hooray for Ohio taking homeschooling supervision seriously.

A state that takes this strict an approach to monitoring homeschooling and that can legally require a homeschooling parent to bring in a licensed teacher to evaluate the kids' progress seems like the last place where Jill would want to relocate. The evil government letting a bunch of non-Christians tell HER how to educate her children! Was she ignorant of this when she and David decided to move to Ohio? Or did she think that she could hoodwink the authorities and fly under their radar? Or did she and David have some secret reason for pulling up stakes and moving to Ohio that was so important that it outweighed any other considerations? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Thank you Sew Sumi for posting FarmGal4's video.  :) [Sorry about the miscrediation.] And even with the educational system all messed up due to the COVID mishegas, JillRod is finding out Ohio isn't letting things slip so easily.  I hope those kids will get some real education somehow.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Wasn't there some entity created to pounce anytime homeschooled families are held accountable?

I'm no expert but I think HSLDA is the big one. Very conservative, to put it mildly. IMO they're dangerous right-wing nutjobs (which I hope isn't too political for this forum), but they swing a big stick and have been very effective in lobbying for looser laws for homeschoolers.

ETA: You can get an idea of what they advocate for by looking them up on Wikipedia. The short list of cases they have litigated across the country shows they are all about the rights of parents to 100% control their children and keep them out of any organized school systems with no accountability, and also to keep child protective agencies and law enforcement out of their homes. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I'm no expert but I think HSLDA is the big one. Very conservative, to put it mildly. IMO they're dangerous right-wing nutjobs (which I hope isn't too political for this forum), but they swing a big stick and have been very effective in lobbying for looser laws for homeschoolers.

ETA: You can get an idea of what they advocate for by looking them up on Wikipedia. The short list of cases they have litigated across the country shows they are all about the rights of parents to 100% control their children and keep them out of any organized school systems with no accountability, and also to keep child protective agencies and law enforcement out of their homes. 

I would also not be surprised if there aren't organization like HSLDA that believe in parents' right to educate their child any way they see fit, doesn't have some folks with teaching credentials that like minded members can hire to provide certification of their kids' education even if the kids aren't getting educated properly.  There are plenty of fundies out there who believe that all a kid needs is to be able to read the Bible and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have some members who went out and got teaching credentials so they could provide this 'service'.

Remember, too, Jill lives in Wooster, close to Amish country.  The school systems down there are not the best; most kids are not going to college and the schools don't have the same standards that schools in more urban areas might have.  I have a friend, a doctor, who practiced in that area for a number of years, but ultimately moved to suburban Cleveland for one reason: he had 4 kids and the schools weren't preparing them for college well enough, he and his wife decided they weren't willing to sacrifice their kids' education, so they moved.  All 4 of his kids are college grads and at least 3 of 4 have graduate degrees, so it worked.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

The Bowers family are friends with the Duggars. The Bowers are often lumped in with the Bontragers, because the parents married off their two oldest children/daughters to two of the Bontrager sons.  The Bowers have 9 kids. The oldest two are girls/Bontrager wives. Then there are six boys, who don't seem to have good job prospects kind of like the Rods. The Bowers are grifters.

Like most fundies, they don't care about social distancing, mask-wearing or Corona. They're travelling around the country and ignoring any health guidelines. Their recent blog post shows them at various sites such as the Alamo. It also shows them with JB and Michelle and four of the Duggar kids. (The Duggars are not at the Alamo.) @Sew Sumi may know which ones and if I missed anyone.

The leghumpers are defending the Duggars right to break social distancing on Lily and Ellie's blog. 🤬

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I haven't seen the pictures of the Duggars and Bowers. Where can they be found?

Also, it's worthy to note that the head of the now-defunct Vision Forum, Doug Phillips, headed up the HSLDA for several years. His youngest kids are now in public school. 😁

• Love 1
(edited)

This school situation is really sad.It used to be that kids had a right to a decent education,but not anymore.

I've no idea what our lawmakers are thinking.That it's worth it to have undereducated ppl in society,as long as the gov't doesn't have to pay for their schooling? You'd think they'd want educated citizens who can get good jobs,for the benefit of the economy.

I don't like to be political either,so I hope I can say that

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I haven't seen the pictures of the Duggars and Bowers. Where can they be found?

Also, it's worthy to note that the head of the now-defunct Vision Forum, Doug Phillips, headed up the HSLDA for several years. His youngest kids are now in public school. 😁

The Bower family blog. It's on blogspot.com and called Bowersbus, since they travel everywhere.

Last I heard Doug's wife insisted everything was normal and still homeschooled. Did she switch in time for the pandemic?

I don't know how Beall is homeschooling since she's been forced to work full time since Doug basically deserted her. But yeah, she's in total denial about that and just about every other aspect of her life. Her IG is sad.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I dunno. As Judge Smails famously said in Caddyshack, "The world needs ditchdiggers, too."

True, but there's nothing wrong with ditchdigger who can read and write and do basic math well.  Or who knows a little history or has read a couple of the great novels. There's a lot to be said for knowledge for knowledge's sake.  If these kids weren't capable of learning, I wouldn't have as mu h problem with the fact that they've never been given an opportunity.

• Love 21
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If these kids weren't capable of learning, I wouldn't have as mu h problem with the fact that they've never been given an opportunity.

Exactly. They’ve had ignorance forced upon them through no fault or choice of their own. And as the goal is to keep children uneducated because it makes them easier to brainwash and program...that’s heinous.

I have to wonder why these cult parents are so insecure about their beliefs that they’re afraid that getting a decent education might cause their children to abandon them. That’s a real endorsement. 🙄

• Love 19

It says them up for failure, that's for certain. The boys will be illiterate ditchdiggers. We know the date of the poor girls. They know nothing other than the life of babies and servitude. 😢 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

True, but there's nothing wrong with ditchdigger who can read and write and do basic math well.  Or who knows a little history or has read a couple of the great novels. There's a lot to be said for knowledge for knowledge's sake.  If these kids weren't capable of learning, I wouldn't have as mu h problem with the fact that they've never been given an opportunity.

Yes,there's nothing wrong with frying fries at McDonald's and also having a well rounded education.

I'm not being sarcastic;pls don't take it that way

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 12

Ok, so, I couldn't sleep last night and started thinking about Nurie and Anna Duggar's Brother and their upcoming nuptials. In that horrific home school video that JillR posted several years ago, (the one where the kidlets were all oh-so-blessed because they did not have to go to Evil Public School and all) Nurie said she was so (severely) happy she was homeschooled so that she can stay home and spend so much time with her family and reading the bible blah blah blah. Well, when Anna Duggar's Brother puts that ring on her finger and whisks her far away to Florida, how will that poor girl cope by herself? She has no tools to help her cope with her new life. Will she become a Class A Clinger like Jill Dillard? She has no education to speak of, no job, no hobbies that we know of, no real life skills. She will go from a houseful of people to an empty house when Anna Duggar's Brother goes to work every day.

I think of weird things when I can't sleep...

• Love 12

@GeeGolly - well said.

@Westiepeach, I also think of strange things when I can't sleep. It's awful to think about JillR's kids and how her narcissism has molded them. Maybe Nurie will be able to adjust to her new life in Florida with Nathan. He is part of a big family and I assume they will live close to his parents, and interact with the family a lot at least through their church activities. However, I'm sure it will be a huge change for her, and I hope she can cope with it. For instance, she'll no longer be living literally squished into a dwelling with 14 other people. 

Long ago Nathan's mother did an interview or something about being the mother of so many kids. She said her kids each had a scheduled time to talk to her (maybe once a week?) about whatever was going on with them. So it doesn't look like poor Nurie is going to acquire a warm-hearted supportive mother-in-law. I also doubt that JillR will give her any peace or any space. She'll be texting and calling Nurie nonstop. Maybe Nurie will get pregnant and take some joy in having her babies. Maybe she and Nathan will develop a good relationship and she'll also have that. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

We need a workforce of leaders and followers, of managers and front line workers, etc.

But everyone should be given the opportunity to know where they best fit. That starts in childhood. Good education and extracurricular activities are the opportunities to narrow down a path and start the journey. It's unfortunate that this 'starting line', among others, is very inconsistent in our society. 

Well if it is one thing the covid shutdown has taught us is to rethink "education"...all my "educated" friends and family are having a terrible time out of work - those with soft degrees and even the nurses in my family...and it looks like the majority of the jobs will not be coming back..although we will not know for sure till August (so they tell me)...on the other hand....the electricians, plumbers (my brother is a pipe fitter and is pulling down the big bucks -over 200k with overtime), the mechanics ANY trade --have been ok and even thriving....so the little bates girl who married the plumber may come out the winner of them all....

• Love 9
(edited)
On 7/2/2020 at 7:01 AM, Dimi1 said:

Well if it is one thing the covid shutdown has taught us is to rethink "education"...all my "educated" friends and family are having a terrible time out of work - those with soft degrees and even the nurses in my family...and it looks like the majority of the jobs will not be coming back..although we will not know for sure till August (so they tell me)...on the other hand....the electricians, plumbers (my brother is a pipe fitter and is pulling down the big bucks -over 200k with overtime), the mechanics ANY trade --have been ok and even thriving....so the little bates girl who married the plumber may come out the winner of them all....

I agree, and I've thought for a long time that our public education system is shortchanging us by NOT providing more vocational training at the high school level. Yes, plumbing and carpentry and electrical work are anything but glamorous. But you can make good money if you're good at those things and have a decent work ethic. And we'll always need our buildings heated, and our plumbing operative, and the lights working.

One of my all time favorite quotes, from John W. Gardner, at least 50 years ago: 

The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 24
57 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I also doubt that JillR will give her any peace or any space. She'll be texting and calling Nurie nonstop.

If Nurie is lonely and unable to cope, this may be an actual blessing for her as she stretches the apron strings. An added bonus is that she can always ignore the calls if/when she's had enough, although that will cause the world's greatest mama to have a severely large hissy-fit.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

If Nurie is lonely and unable to cope, this may be an actual blessing for her as she stretches the apron strings. An added bonus is that she can always ignore the calls if/when she's had enough, although that will cause the world's greatest mama to have a severely large hissy-fit.

I wonder if Nurie even has her own phone yet, or if she will get one beyond a landline.

• Love 4

Jill has provided an interesting model for her kids. While she pretends David is the head of the family because the bible says so, it's pretty clear Jill the Controller runs everything. I think David just goes along because who wants to cross a nasty narcissist? I wonder how the dynamic will play out in the Nathan/Nurie marriage. 

• Love 7
Just now, BradandJanet said:

Jill has provided an interesting model for her kids. While she pretends David is the head of the family because the bible says so, it's pretty clear Jill the Controller runs everything. I think David just goes along because who wants to cross a nasty narcissist? I wonder how the dynamic will play out in the Nathan/Nurie marriage. 

Same model as Michelle and JB, as well as Jessa and Ben.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Same model as Michelle and JB, as well as Jessa and Ben.

Is Nurie like her mother? We never see the kids except through Jill's filtered lens, so who knows. Maybe living with Jill has crushed her. Nathan comes across as a pleaser so far, so he may be happy with a wife who makes all the decisions. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Ok, so, I couldn't sleep last night and started thinking about Nurie and Anna Duggar's Brother and their upcoming nuptials. In that horrific home school video that JillR posted several years ago, (the one where the kidlets were all oh-so-blessed because they did not have to go to Evil Public School and all) Nurie said she was so (severely) happy she was homeschooled so that she can stay home and spend so much time with her family and reading the bible blah blah blah. Well, when Anna Duggar's Brother puts that ring on her finger and whisks her far away to Florida, how will that poor girl cope by herself? She has no tools to help her cope with her new life. Will she become a Class A Clinger like Jill Dillard? She has no education to speak of, no job, no hobbies that we know of, no real life skills. She will go from a houseful of people to an empty house when Anna Duggar's Brother goes to work every day.

I think of weird things when I can't sleep...

Nuri will have a baby friend screaming in her ear soon enough. Let’s hope Nathan and his family are nice to her! 
I totally see Jill driving down there every month and staying with them. No way Jillzilla will leave them alone.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Absolutely, although I have a white collar job, I've got plenty of family members who work with their hands.  I've got a nephew who is an auto mechanic, another who is a londscaper.  Both took some college courses, decided it wasn't for them and went another direction.  But, both of them can read and write well and appreciate art and music and many other things, too.  Being a well rounded human being is never a bad thing.

Husband is an auto mechanic. He also went through college, but his heart is in mechanics and also landscaping. He can take a car apart and put it back together like nobody's business; he can diagnose a car problem by listening to it run; and knows exactly which plant needs to be planted in full sun, partial sun or shade. I consider it a successful day if I pull up to the correct side of the gas pump when I am filling my gas tank; and if I don't kill my plants in my office.

• LOL 7
  • Love 14