Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, AnnaBaptist said:

I will admit that I laughed when I heard the video and when I read some of your comments, but now I just feel sad. Tim, even though he tried his hand at college, is still a pretty sheltered person. You know that other people in this family had a hand in this, and yet no one stopped him from making a fool of himself. I despise Jill and Shrek, but I feel oddly protective of Tim. If my children posted a video and people were laughing, posting negative comments, and giving a thumbs down to the video, I would be devastated for my child. I feel awful for him that no one stopped him and told him this would be a bad idea. 

Yes, everyone needs someone who will tell them, out of love, "No." 

I strongly suspect the origins of this idea and the orchestration of it was all Jill, so of course she would never put the kibosh on it. But poor Tim is so sheltered I doubt he questioned his mother's judgment at all. 

• Love 1

I made it through the whole awful video. It sounds like Tim has a bit of a lisp. Yes, their speech is a bit different. I have only heard Nuri and now Timothy. These two need some real life experience to help them grow up. I agree that this video was an awful homemade attempt. It was ridiculous that his lips stopped moving yet the 'singing' went on. This guy was lip syncing. That dirty finger nail in the frame of the video, (also VERY UNPROFESSIONAL), I believe belongs to their father...what's his name. How could anyone think of selling this as a professional CD I'll never know.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, AnnaBaptist said:

I will admit that I laughed when I heard the video and when I read some of your comments, but now I just feel sad. Tim, even though he tried his hand at college, is still a pretty sheltered person. You know that other people in this family had a hand in this, and yet no one stopped him from making a fool of himself. I despise Jill and Shrek, but I feel oddly protective of Tim. If my children posted a video and people were laughing, posting negative comments, and giving a thumbs down to the video, I would be devastated for my child. I feel awful for him that no one stopped him and told him this would be a bad idea. 

Not only was he not stopped, I'm sure that Jill will tell him that the thumbs-downs were haters and Christian persecution - and encourage him to double down and make MORE recordings. 

• Love 12
23 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Since I'll be in my wheelchair,  I'm hoping to get a  space with Jill's SEVERLY wheelchair bound sister (?Amy)

I never knew that Amy was in a wheelchair NOT.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

This video was a trial ballon that popped. Why didn't they keep working on it before posting it on YouTube? I'm sure Jill was behind this project in some way. She controls everything. 

Tim is the least sheltered of all the Rod kids. He's attended school, lived away from the family in two states, and learned to fly a small plane. Most people gain at least a little awareness and independence after two years of experiences like this. Tim's returning to the fold and agreeing to post a disaster of a video of himself is just a sad reminder of how life works in the Rodrigues prison camp. 

• Love 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

This video was a trial ballon that popped. Why didn't they keep working on it before posting it on YouTube? I'm sure Jill was behind this project in some way. She controls everything. 

Tim is the least sheltered of all the Rod kids. He's attended school, lived away from the family in two states, and learned to fly a small plane. Most people gain at least a little awareness and independence after two years of experiences like this. Tim's returning to the fold and agreeing to post a disaster of a video of himself is just a sad reminder of how life works in the Rodrigues prison camp. 

I think Tim going to school makes him appear less sheltered, but it doesn't substantially change how sheltered he was. I went to college with a lot of awkward homeschooled fundies, and they usually were still pretty brainwashed and in the fold until they acquired some understanding, more broad-minded friends. And many of them never overcame that because they banded together with other like-minded awkward homeschooled fundies or they just were so freaking weird that they never made any friends. (One guy was such a weirdo that the chaplain assigned people to be his friends. Four years later, he was still uncomfortably awkward. That's when I knew him, and it was like being trapped in a room with a really overbearing alien. But I am told that was significant progress to how he was when he first landed there!) And this was at a Christian college where the bent was fairly fundamentalist anyway. 

I never got the impression Tim really made any friends in either of his educational ventures, let alone friends that would bring him out of his shell. I suspect he was probably pretty lonely and interpreted most anything his professors and classmates said (secular or religious) as a direct affront to everything he had been taught. I know we've all chatted about how academically Tim likely was far behind--and I am sure he was--but him floating around between 2 different schools in 2 years before returning home might have been just as much about how socially maladjusted he is. 

I'm sure on some level he enjoyed his freedoms, but I suspect he also felt guilty about it and may have just felt so out-of-place that it was easier to go back to the prison that is home than to constantly flail around the outside world. And if that is what happened, that's very sad. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

With this video I can see Timbits cleaning up at the GMA Dove awards. 

By 'cleaning up', I presume you mean sweeping the floor after they're done.

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think Tim going to school makes him appear less sheltered, but it doesn't substantially change how sheltered he was

I agree.  Remember, Tim was utterly appalled that one of his instructors didn't think that the KJV was the one true Bible and actually told the class that he preferred another translation.  And, what did Tim do?  Did he approach the teacher and ask some questions to get some insight as to why the teacher felt that way?  Did Tim go to the library, get a copy of the other Bible and compare it to the KJV?  Did he talk to his pastor and perhaps ask if there were any references he could use to learn more about the differences between translations?

Oh, hell no!  He apparently ran screaming from the classroom and immediately called Mama to report the heresy.  A kid who has been so thoroughly indoctrinated into the cult that he cannot even bear to consider the POV of another Christian who probably is just marginally less strict that Tim's upbringing is not a guy who is going to welcome change.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, emma675 said:

Timbits doesn't have the pretty looks or personality to carry this off (neither does Lawson, tbh) and his singing made my dog run from the room. 

Do you mean Lawson Bates? I think he would be considered a 10+ Fundie Hunk. I even think he's real-world cute. Never heard him sing, though, and probably never will. But I bet  sheltered Fundie tweenies squeeee about him and have his poster in their rooms.

• Love 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I agree.  Remember, Tim was utterly appalled that one of his instructors didn't think that the KJV was the one true Bible and actually told the class that he preferred another translation.  And, what did Tim do?  Did he approach the teacher and ask some questions to get some insight as to why the teacher felt that way?  Did Tim go to the library, get a copy of the other Bible and compare it to the KJV?  Did he talk to his pastor and perhaps ask if there were any references he could use to learn more about the differences between translations?

Oh, hell no!  He apparently ran screaming from the classroom and immediately called Mama to report the heresy.  A kid who has been so thoroughly indoctrinated into the cult that he cannot even bear to consider the POV of another Christian who probably is just marginally less strict that Tim's upbringing is not a guy who is going to welcome change.

That KJV story has always reminded me of a homeschooled fundie freshman I went to school with. She derailed an entire class stridently arguing with some innocuous point my professor--who was a Christian--made in a literature class at a Christian school. I can't even remember what it was about, but I just remember the shock on most people's faces, her smug expression, and the nodding her one friend kept doing. After the class, my professor was like, "What just happened?" I nicknamed that kid "The Quavering Voice of Righteous Indignation" and avoided her as much as humanly possible because she kept doing that throughout her freshman year. 

You can imagine my surprise when I had to deal with her when she was a junior, and I realized she'd actually evolved quite a bit. I never became friends with her, but we had a mutual friend, and I realizing the Quavering Voice of Righteous Indignation had gotten a clue, toned down her bullshit, broadened her horizons, and actually was pretty good company. She was one of the ones who made friends who helped her get over some of her childhood bullshit, and she's now actually a fairly woke Christian who broke away from a lot of the toxic stuff her family taught her. I'm actually really proud of her! 

Unfortunately for her, though, most people I went to school with who knew her as a freshman avoided her because she made such a horrible impression and they still to this day think she is some sort of overbearing creep. And I think a lot of the like-minded little fundies she initially befriended have fallen away as she broke away from them. 

She's one reason why I don't think any of the fundie kids are a complete lost cause, but I also don't think Tim ever had a lifeline of friendship that would have helped him break out of what he learned as a child. And sadly I suspect the KJV outburst may have made even other Christians at that school give him a wide berth, and I wouldn't be surprised if his classmates at the secular community college gave him an even wider one. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 13

Timmys video was mommy’s idea. Timmy isn’t allowed to say no to MAMA. Jill created a laughing stock of her son. Timmy sings better than me. I would never sing in public or video lol. 
Poor brainwashed Timmy. He is stuck in the stink bus forever.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, drafan said:

Do you mean Lawson Bates? I think he would be considered a 10+ Fundie Hunk. I even think he's real-world cute. Never heard him sing, though, and probably never will. But I bet  sheltered Fundie tweenies squeeee about him and have his poster in their rooms.

Lawson is really cute outside. Inside not so much.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Zella said:

Lawson's not bad-looking, but he's one of those guys who you can tell is just a complete douchebag just by taking a gander at him. 

then he opens his mouth to speak or sing and you know your instincts were right.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, AnnaBaptist said:

Not being able to sing has never stopped anyone from auditioning for American Idol .

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
Just now, galaxychaser said:

Height is not a deal breaker for me. 

Me either. Lawson's problem isn't that he's short. His problem is he is an asshole, and he if was 6 foot 6, it wouldn't be any different. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 18
Just now, Zella said:

Me either. Lawson's problem isn't that he's short. His problem is he is an asshole, and he if was 6 foot 6, it wouldn't be any different. 

Yes 100%

1 hour ago, lianau said:

Not being able to sing has never stopped anyone from auditioning for American Idol .

Very true. If I auditioned for American Idol I’d be laughed out of the room.

(edited)

Exactly how tall is Lawson, by the way? On Twitter, he claims to be 5'9" apparently, which is average height for a guy. I know some guys, ahem, add a couple of inches, but even then, 5'7"-ish hardly makes him tiny. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
Just now, Zella said:

all of the older bates boys appear to be that way as well. Jackson and Warden think they have the looks and pose like Lawson. Nathan and Trace scream "I am an asshole every single time they open their mouth

• Love 6
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

all of the older bates boys appear to be that way as well. Jackson and Warden think they have the looks and pose like Lawson. Nathan and Trace scream "I am an asshole every single time they open their mouth

I've never watched any of them, but a few of the anecdotes that have been shared about them make me think there's a reason why even in the fundie world, they're all single. (Or most of them are single?) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I assume all guys increase their height by a few inches online.

Estimating people's heights is one of my great hobbies--I spend unholy amounts of times on CelebHeights and have derailed entire discussion threads on other forums with conspiracy theories about people's heights. (Currently rewatching Game of Thrones, which is a goldmine for height speculation. 😄 ) 

And it seems like a lot of men just automatically tack on about 2 inches to their natural height. I don't really care if people round up a bit (like someone being 5'8 3/4" saying they're 5'9"), but I have no clue why people lie beyond that. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Lawson does lie about his height. I'm just a little bit puzzled about why he's being talked about as if he is abnormally short. 

• Love 2
On 6/2/2020 at 10:49 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Timothy made a video.

With everything going on in the world this makes everything so much more hopeless. I am sure that was not the intent. The parents have truly failed their children on so many levels.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

With everything going on in the world this makes everything so much more hopeless. I am sure that was not the intent. The parents have truly failed their children on so many levels.

Wow, he's not very good! 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Lawson is also pretty short.

3 hours ago, Zella said:

Lawson's not bad-looking, but he's one of those guys who you can tell is just a complete douchebag just by taking a gander at him. 

All the attributes of a middle school heart-throb.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Timmy has ever listened professionally produced music. If he has only heard his own family's CDs, he probably thinks his song is good.

Well, that's the problem, isn't it? If you have nothing to compare to, how would you know? Feedback is good. Bubbles are bad. 

• Love 11
(edited)
55 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Timmy has ever listened professionally produced music. If he has only heard his own family's CDs, he probably thinks his song is good.

the song itself is lovely - Timmy's rendition is horrible.

so what are the odds on timmy/jill got copyright permission for songs on his upcoming CD?

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

the song itself is lovely - Timmy's rendition is horrible.

so what are the odds on timmy/jill got copywrite permission for songs on his upcoming CD?

I'm sure she did ---- not

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

sorry on the misspelling of copyright

I will report timbits if any CD appears without the proper permissions. maybe some songs will fall into "public domain" but I will watch

I spent many years in tech for an evangelical church and pushed that they needed copyright permission for everything. talked to people at Moody in Chicago many times.  they were always quick to respond and give a permission.

• Love 11

I admit I didn't make it through the whole thing either, but I think Tim was okay. If he was Wishverse or alternate reality Tim and could join a community choir, I think he'd do fine. I say Wishverse because even though choral music tends to run religious, I'm thinking real Timbits would have to run screaming from the devil music my choir does (or did, pre Covid) .Can't Severely risk poor Timmy's soul through the world's most awkward rendition of Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch with my Ungodly crew. 

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

I will report timbits if any CD appears without the proper permissions. maybe some songs will fall into "public domain" but I will watch

I spent many years in tech for an evangelical church and pushed that they needed copyright permission for everything. talked to people at Moody in Chicago many times.  they were always quick to respond and give a permission.

Please do!

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

Would Jill even know where to go to get copyright permission? Somehow, I doubt it.

eta: Not a problem for Lawson, since he writes his own material. His songs aren't half bad; it's his vocals that drag down his songs.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

To be fair, a lot of people don't know where to begin with seeking permissions. One can easily appear to be a wizard to authors by knowing how to obtain permissions. 😁

The difference is Jill doesn't even care. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, satrunrose said:

I admit I didn't make it through the whole thing either, but I think Tim was okay. If he was Wishverse or alternate reality Tim and could join a community choir, I think he'd do fine. I say Wishverse because even though choral music tends to run religious, I'm thinking real Timbits would have to run screaming from the devil music my choir does (or did, pre Covid) .Can't Severely risk poor Timmy's soul through the world's most awkward rendition of Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch with my Ungodly crew. 

I couldn't sit through the entire video, but I agree he's good enough to sing in an amateur choir.  Every church I've ever attended had an all volunteer choir made up of people with "good enough" singing voices, who were there for the love of music and singing.  There was always a choir director with some type of musical/voice training who was able to get some surprisingly good results from people who had mostly fair voices but great attitudes.  

I feel sorry for Tim.  He and his mother clearly have no idea of the difference between "good enough to sing in church" and talented enough to make videos and CD's.  I don't know this for sure, but he doesn't seem to be full of himself like so many of the Duggar's and other fundies, so I couldn't even bring myself to laugh at his poor, pathetic video.

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, Zella said:

To be fair, a lot of people don't know where to begin with seeking permissions. One can easily appear to be a wizard to authors by knowing how to obtain permissions. 😁

The difference is Jill doesn't even care. 

Most people don't record a bad CD of Hymns to sell either.

for the record "It is Well With My Soul"  is listed as a public domain song

for hymns in worship services especially the public domain thing comes in to play and is complicated especially with the projecting lyrics. CCLI license # is needed.

but using songs and lyrics on a CD for sale, Timbits, would most likely need permissions.

I had no idea how to go about it when I started. My first contact with Moody was they had some children's books we wanted to scan and project for a children's time sermon thing. they had a form you filled out that was pretty straight forward. what did you want to use, for what purpose, how many times would you use it, was it for profit, would you delete the presentation after using etc. most things we ask for were free for one time use with the "used with permission at the beginning or end of presentation.

but the music/lyrics permissions is a complicated giant pain in the ass

• Useful 5
  • Love 3