Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
46 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jill is actually not wrong about this.  Kent State has an aviation program not too far from Wooster, but far enough away to warrant him getting an apartment.   I was bored at work a few weeks ago and was looking up the curriculum for Kent and they do offer enough remedial classes for him as well.  

While taking remedial classes can be discouraging to students who want to move on quickly, these classes provide a lot of basic skills and knowledge that were somehow missed in previous schooling. 

I hope Tim pushes on and ends up with a degree. It's much better than being a decorative olive plant around the dining room table. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • LOL 3
  • Love 19
(edited)

The sat campuses might feed into the main campus but you still have to meet criteria to get a degree and, as a PROUD Kent alumna, can't see Timbits - now cashed/flunked out (sorry, I mean, MOVED BY SEVERELY-APPROVING-OF-HIM JESUS) to locate to northeastern Ohio, he can take all the for-credit aviation courses offered by KSU at XYZ campus, but that ain't getting him a degree. Plus since the Rodriguii just moved, they can't qualify for in-state tuition yet and y'all know they aren't forking up out-of-state tuition money for Timbits or any of their other malnourished spawn for Jesus.

Edited by MichaelaRae
  • Love 5

Anna Marie Maxwell is currently hospitalized with swollen lymph nodes in her neck, fever, and SEVERE lethargy. The oncologist said it wasn't chemo side effects, so she went to the ER, where she was tested for Covid (she's negative). 

This puts tomorrow's chemo treatment on hold, delaying her return to KS at least one week. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Totally said:

How is Timbits paying to live away from home?

And how is he paying for school?

Jill's remark, "he got a ton of schooling in", leads me to believe he's not working toward a degree anymore. I'm thinking he's going the Duggar/Bates route and only getting a pilot's license.

• Love 7
(edited)

Another possibility is Liberty's online ed, probably. They apparently partner with some flight schools in Ohio and elsewhere to offer aviation degrees. And there are a fair number of flight schools in their area. Ohio: Birthplace of Aviation -- not a falsehood. And it's more than just Dayton and the Wright brothers. The Akron-Canton area right next to them (where Kent State is) has a long long history of producing pilots.

Poor kid isn't to blame for the horrible "education" he got at home or for the Jill-style religious crap he was beaten and brainwashed into and that makes people despise him and sneer at him. I realize he has a million barriers to overcome, but at least he keeps trying to get a career and a life for himself, so there's some spark in there. 

You can't just walk casually away whistling and magically realizing how wrong your insane mother is when you've been as deliberately malformed as he's been. And there's absolutely no help available for him from any quarter as far as I can see. I don't know how the hell he'll ever get loose from the lunacy, since he clearly hasn't been given the tools. But I'm actually amazed and impressed that he keeps trying. There's no way it could happen overnight. It can only happen very gradually coming from his situation. He's been sent out into the world with a bag over his head so he can't see what's actually there, poor little slob. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 20

Not that I ever fly in a private plane, but if I did, that last person I'd want in the cockpit would be some dimwit with no critical thinking skills beyond leafing through some beat-up bible for some archaic passage to read aloud as the plane plunged towards its fiery doom. 

The Rod kids are morons who should never be in any position of public safety. 

I think Jill is hoping to get Tim into Duggar Aviation somehow.And after some sort of way to make money,maybe he can land a fundie girl.A Duggar would be a stretch,but he could produce lots of babies who also fast for Jesus,and he wouldn't need to feed them much.God help them

• Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

When Jill says Timothy is living next door, I wonder if it’s a detached building on their property.

It's probably a shed.  Look at what passes for a 'house' on that property.  I expect Tim is going to try to get flight training with one of the many private aviation companies in the area and try to combine it with Bible stuff online from Liberty U to continue to work towards being a missionary pilot.  I presume all he has to show for the past 2 years is a regular private license, he's got a lot of training left to become a commercial pilot.  Like many years at his current rate.

Kent State is an ebil state school, Jill would never want him there, though, at this point, if Tim were to enroll, it would all be online education.

Poor Tim, he tried to escape, but he's right back where he started, as part of the traveling minstrel show, albeit in Ohio instead of West Virginia.

BTW, I live in Ohio about an hour away from JRod and am very familiar with the geography.  I have no idea what Jill is going on about, claiming that NE Ohio is so gorgeous compared to WVa.  There's a lot of nice scenery here, but WVa is quite pretty, too.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Anna Marie Maxwell is currently hospitalized with swollen lymph nodes in her neck, fever, and SEVERE lethargy. The oncologist said it wasn't chemo side effects, so she went to the ER, where she was tested for Covid (she's negative). 

This puts tomorrow's chemo treatment on hold, delaying her return to KS at least one week. 

I presume she has an infection, probably due to immunosuppression from the chemo.  While it's not exactly a side effect, it is a consequence of her treatment.  The fact that she is hospitalized indicates she doesn't have a run of the mill strep throat.  I am not sure what Anna Marie was expecting, but, from her prior posts, it seemed like she thought she'd found a way to get chemo with none of the risks.  I seem to recall the claim that this extra special chemo would prevent suppression of the immune system.  I guess not.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

And testing negative for COVID is in no way a guarantee of escaping the infection. Many people have been tested multiple times before they test positive since the test available isn't terribly reliable. Unfortunately.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

BTW, I live in Ohio about an hour away from JRod and am very familiar with the geography.  I have no idea what Jill is going on about, claiming that NE Ohio is so gorgeous compared to WVa.  There's a lot of nice scenery here, but WVa is quite pretty, too.

Wherever Jill is, it’s the best. Scenery, the people, the church, etc.. It’s a good mindset, but Jill’s reasoning isn’t about that. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

Not that I ever fly in a private plane, but if I did, that last person I'd want in the cockpit would be some dimwit with no critical thinking skills beyond leafing through some beat-up bible for some archaic passage to read aloud as the plane plunged towards its fiery doom. 

The Rod kids are morons who should never be in any position of public safety. 

It's sad that their parents made them that way.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

It's probably a shed.  Look at what passes for a 'house' on that property.  I expect Tim is going to try to get flight training with one of the many private aviation companies in the area and try to combine it with Bible stuff online from Liberty U to continue to work towards being a missionary pilot.  I presume all he has to show for the past 2 years is a regular private license, he's got a lot of training left to become a commercial pilot.  Like many years at his current rate.

Jill says Tim came to Ohio because the area is FLAT and there are aviation schools GALORE. He has a private pilot's license and misses his family. He likes their church. He prayed and transferred things (clothing or college credits?). He doesn't live with his family but right next to them and comes over nearly every night for dinner (!) The post is long but that's about all it says about him. 

I think you're right, Doodlebug. He lives on the property for free and hopes to get pilot training, which Jill may be able to grift. He could take online Bible courses and get the other qualifications he needs. This is the cheaper than his previous plans, and he may end up with something. It will take a long time, but time is the one thing he has in abundance.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

No mention of a JOB. 

Or even him attending school. She just says he likes the area & there are aviation schools there. 

12 hours ago, Zella said:

A poor Tim. My goals for him to fly the coop were obviously not meant to be. What school could he have transferred to there?*

*I'm not entirely convinced he is transferring anywhere, regardless of what the Hell Bitch his mother says. 

I'm with you.  Tim will end up having an epiphany from the Lord to help his father in the printing shop & he'll end up there.

I can also see Jill trying to get him on board at Duggar Aviation as @sondraK posted.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Jill would so want to get Timbits in with JD"s Mediccorps. It would bring him in contact not only with the Duggars, but the Bates boys as well

Timbits is not of any use to Duggar Aviation or Mediccorps without a commercial pilot's license which requires 250 hours of instruction compared to the 10 hours minimum it takes to get the private license he has.  I know he managed to grift the hours from a flight instructor in Wisconsin to get the private rating but it is going to be a lot tougher to get 250 free hours, even from a like-minded fundy pilot.

• Love 7

true @doodlebug - I am surprised Timbits hasn't taken the minimum EMT course to get in with them

or learn to operate heavy equipment since Mediccorps' missions seem to be mostly clearing debris in disaster areas

• Love 2

Honestly, I wish the best for Tim because he seems to really be trying to create a life for himself — get an education, be independent — although he’s been hamstrung to high hell. Strange and spooky as he is after a lifetime spent trapped in that nightmare of a family, I’d take Tim over Jana anytime.

The Rodriguez kids deserve a lot better than what they get and got, and they always break my heart. I can’t imagine living like that.

• Love 18

Also, I don’t know if it would appeal to him, but I think EMT training would be a great idea for Tim. I can see him working as an EMT or even as an orderly — I think it would be rewarding work and there’s room for advancement as he (slowly) pursues an education. 

• Love 10

on other sites the chat about Timbits is a courting partner has been found for him. one of the plath girls also recently moved to Ohio - or a daughter of the family that "gave" the rod family the beef. Dingus family.

probably no truth to that but who knows - fun to speculate

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, rue721 said:

Honestly, I wish the best for Tim because he seems to really be trying to create a life for himself — get an education, be independent — although he’s been hamstrung to high hell. Strange and spooky as he is after a lifetime spent trapped in that nightmare of a family, I’d take Tim over Jana anytime.

The Rodriguez kids deserve a lot better than what they get and got, and they always break my heart. I can’t imagine living like that.

To be fair, Tim is a male and Jana is a female. He is allowed an education, and Jana is allowed to get married or forever live with daddy.  Hopefully in her mind, Jana is living the lesser evil. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

on other sites the chat about Timbits is a courting partner has been found for him. one of the plath girls also recently moved to Ohio - or a daughter of the family that "gave" the rod family the beef. Dingus family.

It could be true. She did post a verse about a godly wife at the end of her post 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, beckie said:

It could be true. She did post a verse about a godly wife at the end of her post 

I figured that was about Jill like everything else she writes. I didn't even think of a courtship for Tim. 

• Love 5
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

WTF is a “missionary pilot” ?

A person who does things like this -- 

An American pilot was devoted to serving people in remote Indonesian villages. She died trying to bring them covid-19 tests.

Meagan Flynn, The Washington Post Published 4:47 am PDT, Monday, May 18, 2020

There weren't any roads leading to the valley where Joyce Lin was headed. So on the morning of May 12, on an Indonesian runway, the American missionary pilot climbed into the cockpit of a small Kodiak aircraft and prepared to set out over the jungle. Carrying rapid covid-19 test kits and other essential supplies, she was bound for Mamit, a remote village in the Papuan highlands awaiting her help.

Lin, a pilot for Mission Aviation Fellowship, an American-based Christian and humanitarian aid organization, had made the journey many times before. She was to take off at Lake Sentani, fly for dozens of miles over the thick, emerald jungle, climb over a pair of towering limestone mountain ridges and then, finally, descend into the valley, landing on a runway that went up a hill.

But Lin's flight never arrived as expected. Two minutes after she ascended over Lake Sentani, she sent out an emergency distress call, radioing back to the tower that she was in trouble. The plane went down quickly into the water. Villagers who lived along the coast rushed into the lake in search of her, but it was too late.

Lin died in the crash. She was 40 years old.....

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/An-American-pilot-was-devoted-to-serving-people-15277329.php

Are many of these pilots way more religiously zealous than I'm crazy about, more prone to trying to convert people than I'd like? .... Hell, yeah. .... I was launching into atheism at about age 6, only a couple years after I determined that there certainly wasn't a Santa Claus or an Easter Bunny.

But when people have good values and act on good values, then good for them, whatever beliefs propel them.....And many, probably most, missionary pilots fall into that category, as far as I can tell. 😃

So, if Tim could ever make it -- and I admit that that outcome's unlikely, unfortunately -- then it'd be a good thing to be. He'd learn much. Including about his faith the way it ought to be instead of the way mama sees it....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
(edited)
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Or Tim would be the kind that flies to an off-limit remote island and get killed by poison arrows.

Yes, it could go either way! ....However, that guy was way more the exception than the rule....Most people who do this job are doing stuff way more like what Joyce Lin was doing....Missionary pilots in general weren't rushing to say that we needed more missionaries like that guy.....

Plus, since at this point we don't yet know any of the outcomes for these poor badly hampered but, in Tim's case, sort of at least struggling kids, I think it's usually a good idea to.....

Cause, you know, they're people. They're young people. They've had a rotten start.....But where you start isn't necessarily where you finish. Maybe Tim'll be one of the lucky strugglers -- eventually...a few decades from now.....! 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I figured that was about Jill like everything else she writes. I didn't even think of a courtship for Tim. 

I thought that too, at first. But then I thought it might be about Tim since the rest of the post was about him. Might not be, but it would fit the rumor.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

But, aren't these guys supposed to be self supporting before they marry?  Aren't they supposed to own a home free and clear?  Timbits has never worked except at the sort of jobs that high school and college kids do.  I suppose he could go to work for Shrek at the print shop, but, considering the lifestyle of the Rod family, it doesn't seem that they could afford to pay him enough to support himself and a wife, let alone the baybee that would be coming along within the year.

Maybe they will give him the deed to the lawnmower shed free and clear once he announces his engagement and he can then claim home ownership.  Then again, the Dingus family gave the Rods a side of beef for free, presumably, they aren't too bright, so maybe they are ok with their daughter living in the grand style of the Rods.  I guess the meat could've been the fundy equivalent of a dowry.

As a missionary pilot, I am sure Tim intended to litter the underdeveloped world with Dad's smiley face pamphlets.  There are missionary pilots out there doing good things for the indigenous peoples where they fly; but the Rods don't seem to be that type of Christian.  They're the bothersome, unhelpful, annoying kind.

• Love 7

Even if he has to start out in virtual kindergarten, Israel will benefit. He'll see other kids who aren't his relatives and don't attend his church. He'll hear about other families and how they live. He will have his learning directed and assessed by a professional educator. My niece has been teaching first grade using Zoom the last couple months and I've been surprised at the amount of interaction there is between her and the kids and the kids with each other.

I think, in a way, a virtual class that Jill can watch with him and see what she missed with her substandard education may actually help both of them to adjust to the idea of a mainstream schooling. I would imagine it might also make Jill even angrier at the limitations her parents placed on her from her birth, but she's getting counseling, I think she can grow from it and become an advocate for a better education for her children.

• Useful 6
  • Love 15
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I guess my question is, how does training as missionary pilot differ from being well, a pilot? Is there a test? A special license?

My understanding is you still qualify as a pilot, but you are just focusing on piloting for missionary purposes versus commercial airlines or military, etc. I'm sure missionary pilot specific programs provide Bible and religious curriculum alongside the flight training, but I doubt his pilot license will look any different than any other pilot's (if he qualifies). 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

A husband in exchange for half a cow? What a deal! Poor girl should ask for a refund. Tim can’t support a dog much less a family.

She's better off taking 5 magic beans, IMO.

18 minutes ago, Zella said:

My understanding is you still qualify as a pilot, but you are just focusing on piloting for missionary purposes versus commercial airlines or military, etc. I'm sure missionary pilot specific programs provide Bible and religious curriculum alongside the flight training, but I doubt his pilot license will look any different than any other pilot's. 

The original program Tim was in out in Washington State included a lot of Bible study and religious training along with the aviation; so, in the context of their program; he would be both a pilot and a missionary I guess.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

She's better off taking 5 magic beans, IMO.

The original program Tim was in out in Washington State included a lot of Bible study and religious training along with the aviation; so, in the context of their program; he would be both a pilot and a missionary I guess.

Yes, I think if he had completed that program, he could rightfully call himself a missionary pilot. As is, if he ever does reach his goal, I'd think he would be more just a pilot who has decided to specialize in missionary work rather than a missionary and a pilot. 

• Love 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I guess my question is, how does training as missionary pilot differ from being well, a pilot? Is there a test? A special license?

You learn to be a bush pilot as well as a regular commercial pilot, mainly. You're going to land and take off in some places where there's no actual runway at all and definitely no tower or even any on-the-ground assistance.  You're likely to be transporting people for medical help, maybe entirely on your own.  And many also get more training in airplane mechanics and so on than other types of pilots do, because they're going to be working in very small outfits, located in remote places. Without all the resources most other commercial pilots have. 

Many but not all also get a degree that includes some form of theology or ministerial training. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2

If you live in the Ohio (south-central region) or Kansas (near Leavensworth), be on the lookout for the big Maxwell wedding this weekend. I'll probably post about this again.  Jesse Maxwell, age 25, is marrying Anna Patrice Craig, age 19/20, allegedly on May 23rd. It's unclear how this will work with social distancing. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Here's my thinking: Just because Tim doesn't know any better than his parents do now doesn't mean that it's impossible for him to learn better over time, if he gradually gets exposed to some other voices....

I realize that it's much easier to constantly snark at psychologically, spiritually and mentally abused children like the Rodrigui if we just allow ourselves to assume that they're already hardened jerks like their parents and thus are, of course, utterly incapable of change in any way. 

But they're young people. And they've come from something awful. And they're still in something awful.......And as young people, with whole lives ahead of them, at least some of them are capable of change. Human nature allows that......And we don't have any idea which ones are capable of it or will get the chances that will allow and foster some change.

We know what their mother's taught them  to say. But we don't know what's inside of any of them -- what's inside that they absolutely can't say out loud and maybe can't even formulate for themselves at this point.....Some different ideas might be in there....

To write off the kids as always and everywhere destined to be just like their crappy parents -- just because it makes it easier for us to make jokes about them without feeling bad about it -- is a tremendous insult to everyone who's come out of a crap home and/or a sick belief system but turned out very very differently from the way we were raised to be, seems to me.

What I hear in my head in a heckuva lot of commentary about these kids is the sneering, laughing and disdain that I heard when I was a kid. Mostly but not entirely behind my back....but I had good ears....

Yet here's what happened: I started out as Timbits and Nurie. But I had a huge huge advantage over them. I got to go to school. 

And out of a very large high-school class, as an adult I went on to be at least one of the top-five achievers if not the very highest achiever of the bunch; to live in and thrive in an environment far more sophisticated and competitive than most of my classmates have even dreamed of; and to do exciting and valuable things that nobody would have imagined that anyone would let me do.  Because I was that mentally crippled weirdo in the weird clothes who had no friends and talked -- at best --  like an old lady. 

And I didn't shoot out of my background like a rocket the instant I turned 18. It took me many years...decades, even.  I crawled out of it, slowly, often still looking like a laughable ass while doing it.....But eventually it happened. 

Does that mean I no longer feel pissed off and depressed when I think of being a joke as kid? Mostly I just don't think of it. Because that way madness lies. But when I do think of it, yeah, it pisses me off and depresses me. And I certainly never go back to places where I'd be likely to see any of those people. Because they could have broken me just by the way they acted -- and of course the way they acted was normal and fine by all of our standards, so I couldn't expect them not to have done it......But I was lucky and found some other  influences, so the "normal" despising didn't break me, ultimately. 

In my opinion, it's unfair for us to snark hard at the kids and, especially, to talk as if their fates are written in stone, just because of who their parents are. And, worse, to imply -- as we often do -- that their fates are in stone not just because of their genes and upbringing but because they are jerks personally irredeemably. When they aren't even in their mid-20s yet. When they're trapped by lack of money, lack of knowledge, and lack of other humans who could show them some other windows and other doors. 

But they still have time. Some of them may get lucky. They're may be a lot more piss and vinegar buried in some of them than we realize. These are very young and extremely vulnerable human beings. They didn't come up with the idea to be a show for anybody's entertainment.  (although I don't feel at all entertained by thinking that teens and 20-somethings have destinies that are already determined and bad....) Anyway,I plan to have some hope for all of them until they're at least 30....! 🙂

Thank you again for sharing your life experience and helping me to realize what these children/young adults are really going through.  It's so easy to be glib and laugh at them but they are struggling day to day to try to maneuver through an intentionally designed by someone they're supposed to love and is supposed to love them a really difficult life. 

Edited by wilsie
  • Love 15

I'm going to guess that Timmy is fine with his life and his religion, at least for now, and maybe forever. He may never look anywhere beyond the small circle the Rods play in. Everyone's picket fence is unique. 

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm going to guess that Timmy is fine with his life and his religion, at least for now, and maybe forever. He may never look anywhere beyond the small circle the Rods play in. Everyone's picket fence is unique. 

I hope so.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

If you live in the Ohio (south-central region) or Kansas (near Leavensworth), be on the lookout for the big Maxwell wedding this weekend. I'll probably post about this again.  Jesse Maxwell, age 25, is marrying Anna Patrice Craig, age 19/20, allegedly on May 23rd. It's unclear how this will work with social distancing. 

I’m in Ohio and weddings were limited to 10 people very recently. Not sure if that’s changed. I know of one wedding that had a few more than 10 and someone called the police on them.

• Useful 5
13 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Poor kid isn't to blame for the horrible "education" he got at home or for the Jill-style religious crap he was beaten and brainwashed into and that makes people despise him and sneer at him. I realize he has a million barriers to overcome, but at least he keeps trying to get a career and a life for himself, so there's some spark in there. 

I wonder how long it'll take for Timbits to understand what a piss poor excuse of an education he received from dear Mama 

6 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

A missionary pilot has to hit a certain amount of savaged natives with bibles while landing .

• LOL 11
6 minutes ago, lianau said:

I wonder how long it'll take for Timbits to understand what a piss poor excuse of an education he received from dear Mama.

I think Timbits already knows. He's likely spent most of his matriculation in remedial classes. 

• Love 9