Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't recognize this singer. Any clue who she is?

That kiss was awful! I expected something better from a couple of 40 somethings. 

Well they are 40 year old virgins?! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm not watching, but based on the history of fundie wedding kisses, I'd say most of them are either terribly inexperienced and the bad kisses reflect that or they realize it's better to be almost performatively bad to tout their "virtue" in appearing to not be experienced. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

You'd think it would have been more polished. She didn't even hug him, and he barely touched her arm. It lacked passion.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

You'd think it would have been more polished. She didn't even hug him, and he barely touched her arm. It lacked passion.

Oh my

• LOL 4

I guess it was the first kiss. 

I have no idea who the other female singer was in the black and white flowers. (Allison Bontrager was in all black.) 

Harold Mally was awful and the minister was somehow worse. The minister was speaking appeared so off the cuff he seemed unprepared. Harold at least had a plot. Harold was disappointed when she was born that Sarah was a girl. His mother told him (correctly) that he should be grateful he had a healthy child. It took him two weeks to come fully around and then he loved her. He realised she was a daughter of the king (King God, not Elvis).  She is named Sarah, because it means "daughter of the king". (Sarah actually means princess which could be daughter of the king or queen, like Princess Anne daughter of QE2.)  When she was ten, he began to pray she would marry and he would find/pick a husband for her.  He was unsuccessful and began to wonder if she would ever marry or find a husband. Eventually he realised God had to choose a husband for his daughters. He really like Andrew, and he wants Andrew to take good care of her and be a good leader for her.  He hopes Sarah and Andrew will be like Abraham and Sarah in the bible and blessed with children (at least a son) in their old age. 

Harold Mally, Sarah's father, at least didn't force his daughters to marry someone they didn't want to.  Grace Mally married Josiah Moffitt in November. She's 31/32 and seems to be pregnant. Harold Mally was unable to chose/find either of his daughter's husbands.  He has one son Stephen, who is adopted. The Mallys (Sarah's parents). seemed to really struggle with infertility although in the end, they have three kids.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

I was just thinking an Elvis mention in that context would probably demonstrate more personality (and subtle humor) than they're capable of having. (I was a big Elvis fan as a child. Even though I was a 90s kid, he was one of my first celebrity crushes. LOL)

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

That whole production was painful in every way possible. And if my father had ever said he was disappointed I was a girl and he mentioned it I'd have flattened him.

What is wrong with people? Rhetorical question really.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

That whole production was painful in every way possible. And if my father had ever said he was disappointed I was a girl and he mentioned it I'd have flattened him.

What is wrong with people? Rhetorical question really.

I thought that was the worst part of his speech: his disappointment and his endless repetitions of "What can you do with a girl?" 

I feel bad for her mother.  They struggled with infertility and only had 2 biological girls and one adoptive son. Her father never seemed to understand how actions affected his wife, his daughters, even his own mother, who told her son to be grateful he had a healthy child. 

There are a lot of asshole men of that age unfortunately. I was raised by one and so were many others- boys were a reflection of MANHOOD. Assholes, all of them. Guess not all children are a "gift from god".

• Love 2

Why did all that need to be said to the public, at her wedding of all places?? And at age 10 he was already anticipating marrying her off 😢

Did he at least say that he had a total change of heart and loved his daughters dearly? Anything sentimental?

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Why did all that need to be said to the public, at her wedding of all places?? And at age 10 he was already anticipating marrying her off 😢

Did he at least say that he had a total change of heart and loved his daughters dearly? Anything sentimental?

No, he just talked about the years going by with no suitors for Sarah. 

22 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Actually yes he did. 2 weeks after she was born, when he realised a daughter of the king (God) he said he loved her and he loved forever after that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Sarah looks youthful, she could pass for a 20-something 

She's beautiful. How come she remained single? 

(I know beauty is not everything, but those are basically arranged marriages. I would think the the pretty one have more potential suitors.)

• Love 5

The only thing my father said (and yes I cringe now) during my wedding ceremony was, "her mother and I do", in response to be asked, "who gives this bride away".

Is it typical for dads to hijack wedding ceremonies and give speeches?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Why did I think of Harold and the big purple crayon?

I was watching the video (and god that was crazy long) and I swore her wedding gown was violet, then I realized it was just bad lighting or something. Could have been the grant data I was working on hurting my brain.

And fathers of this group of women frequently interrupt to give long pointless but "look at me" speeches during their daughters weddings.

• Love 6

Ashley , the girl Nathan (Bates) courted and then broke up with has a pic showing off her engagement ring from her boyfriend....on IG....she looks happy...

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Dimi1 said:

Ashley , the girl Nathan (Bates) courted and then broke up with has a pic showing off her engagement ring from her boyfriend....on IG....she looks happy...

She should be happy, she dodged a bullet named Kelly.

• LOL 17
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Dimi1 said:

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Ashley looks pretty and happy. Is there any info on the boyfriend? He looks like your typical milquetoast Fundie male.

He lives in NYC so Ashley dodged living in Tennesee. He has a real job and makes money.  His job is some combination of Josh's old job (FRC)  and Derick's future job. 

• Useful 8
On 5/2/2020 at 3:53 PM, OpieTaylor said:

Sarah looks youthful, she could pass for a 20-something 

I hate weddings but I skimmed quickly

On 5/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I don't recognize this singer. Any clue who she is?

That kiss was awful! I expected something better from a couple of 40 somethings. 

I hate weddings but I skimmed through quickly to watch the duet (yuck) and the kiss.  She seems waif - like, girlish, and she actually smacked the kiss like kissing grandma!  But she seemed so happy!  Hopefully she can grow and mature but just listening to some of her vows, I'm doubtful.  She smiled and said she would submit to him (yuck) and she said she had no doubt HE would be doing great things and she got to watch.  So no personal growth or career at all.

7 hours ago, BitterApple said:Ashley looks pretty and happy. Is there any info on the boyfriend? He looks like your typical milquetoast Fundie male.

Right? What is it with these fundie boys? They’re all short, dumpy, balding and look alike. While the brood mares  fundie women are almost always pretty and often downright gorgeous.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

He lives in NYC so Ashley dodged living in Tennesee. He has a real job and makes money.  His job is some combination of Josh's old job (FRC)  and Derick's future job. 

How does social distancing work during this pandemic with dating?  Do they remain safe at home or do they see each other?  If you're not quarantined together from the beginning, but then marry before the quarantine is over, it gets confusing.

I'm guessing boyfriend/girlfriends just don't social distance?

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, louannems said:

How does social distancing work during this pandemic with dating?  Do they remain safe at home or do they see each other?  If you're not quarantined together from the beginning, but then marry before the quarantine is over, it gets confusing.

I'm guessing boyfriend/girlfriends just don't social distance?

Especially in NYC. Well, I guess Jesus will protect them. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, Future Cat Lady said:

She's beautiful. How come she remained single? 

(I know beauty is not everything, but those are basically arranged marriages. I would think the the pretty one have more potential suitors.)

Her father said that he wasn't successful as matchmaker and only God can bring people together. 

15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I have been wondering if she will keep up with Bright Lights? I mean, that's her baby. 

Considering they both have a passion for ministry, I think she will. Especially as she probably won't have too many babies to tend.

Speaking of social distancing, I read afterwards that Iowa (where the Mallys and Bontragers live) is one of the states where the virus is really gaining ground at the moment.  

Waterloo Iowa had a huge jump in numbers after the virus spread through the Perdue plant.  I follow a YouTuber/Ebayer who lives there, and in the beginning, she said their numbers were incredibly low and within a few short weeks they became a hotspot.  John Deere is also based in Iowa, which doesn't help things.

That wedding was painful to watch.  And her dad is an asshole.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, sixlets said:

Waterloo Iowa had a huge jump in numbers after the virus spread through the Perdue plant.  I follow a YouTuber/Ebayer who lives there, and in the beginning, she said their numbers were incredibly low and within a few short weeks they became a hotspot.  John Deere is also based in Iowa, which doesn't help things.

That wedding was painful to watch.  And her dad is an asshole.

Black Hawk county, where Waterloo is in, is the county with the most cases in Iowa. We can thank the Tyson plant for that, that has been a disaster for a few weeks now.

• Love 1

JRod has posted a new IG video.  They’re at the park.  Firstly, I just want to say that Janessa is little doll.  She’s absolutely precious.  Oh, how I wish that I could raise her. 😢 Secondly, wth is a “soul sinner”?

(edited)
13 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

JRod has posted a new IG video.  They’re at the park.  Firstly, I just want to say that Janessa is little doll.  She’s absolutely precious.  Oh, how I wish that I could raise her. 😢 Secondly, wth is a “soul sinner”?

She must have edited. It now says "soul winner."

Edited by Sew Sumi
Autocorrect strikes again
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)

Oh my.I cried for that wedding.Because it was so awful!

What is w that dad.I felt a twinge of disappointment at the sex of my first baby,but no one,not even to this day,almost 30 yrs later,knows about it.It's my own personal thought.No one else need know.If I were Sarah's mom,I'd have smacked him.

Rant over.Maybe they aren't too old to have at least a couple kids,as it seems they want them

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 11