Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Is that child wearing nail polish? 

I understand that there many cultures in which breast feeding into toddlerhood is a thing and honestly, it’s her best hope for a decent meal anyway. And maybe it’s just me.

But if she’s old enough to wear earrings and nail polish? It’s...kinda icky.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

It's actually a bath toy, but ages 18months and up, so still a baby toy. 

At least it looked to be a new toy, I seem to recall other Rod kids not getting much at all for their birthdays.  

That was a humongous piece of cake for a two year old.  I presume that was for the pictures so Jill could show the world how much her kids eat.  I expect that, after the picture was taken, the piece of cake was cut into quarters and re-distributed.

3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I understand that there many cultures in which breast feeding into toddlerhood is a thing and honestly, it’s her best hope for a decent meal anyway. And maybe it’s just me.

We've seen the Rod kids wearing nail polish before, including Janessa.  I think Jill indoctrinates the girls into the wonderful world of unnecessary cosmetics as early as possible.  I had a friend who breastfed her firstborn until he was well past his 4th birthday.  He used to climb into her lap, announce, 'Mommy milk', and start lifting her shirt, unbuttoning her blouse right then and there.  He only stopped nursing when she got pregnant again.  That time, it was twins and they were both weaned at around a year of age.

• Love 6

I don't have a problem with nail polish or breastfeeding toddlers. When my son was that age he always wanted his nails done when I did his sisters. As for the bath toy, if it's for kids 18 mos and up, 2 years is the "up" part. 

I think the huge cake was definitely in response to the criticism she gets for not feeding her kids and Janessa, at least, got a large piece. Since they didn't show any of the other kids eating, my bet is they got small pieces so David could have the rest for his late night snack.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I hope she breastfeeds for as long as possible.  Sadly, we’ll know for sure when she’s weaned, because she’ll start looking skinny and pale, like the rest of the concentration camp victims.

• Love 2

I want to know who else was at Janessa’s bday party.  There was a woman holding onto the cake pan and then sitting beside of Jill when Janessa was looking at her gifts.  Whoever she was, she was NOT a family member, because it was obvious that she was well-fed.  I guess Jill forgot all about that pesky social distancing order, again?

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I don't have a problem with nail polish or breastfeeding toddlers. When my son was that age he always wanted his nails done when I did his sisters. As for the bath toy, if it's for kids 18 mos and up, 2 years is the "up" part. 

I think the huge cake was definitely in response to the criticism she gets for not feeding her kids and Janessa, at least, got a large piece. Since they didn't show any of the other kids eating, my bet is they got small pieces so David could have the rest for his late night snack.

Yeah, I don't have a huge problem with any of these things for her age - whether everything at her party is age-appropriate or whatever makes not much nevermind to me as long as she seems to be enjoying herself. A second birthday is not likely to make any impression on a child one way or another. Except that the patterns the Rods follow so much seem to preclude everyday interactions already that one has to wonder what's left...

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I want to know who else was at Janessa’s bday party.  There was a woman holding onto the cake pan and then sitting beside of Jill when Janessa was looking at her gifts.  Whoever she was, she was NOT a family member, because it was obvious that she was well-fed.  I guess Jill forgot all about that pesky social distancing order, again?

Probably a Dingus. The Rods seemed fused to them as their latest grift victim. It wouldn't surprise me if that bath toy wasn't from them. 

• Love 7

Did you all watch the IG video of Sofia trying to play the piano and sing?  She talks in the same weird manner as the rest of the kids.  What causes that, and why do they all speak that way?  Are they trying to emulate Jill?  David doesn’t talk like that.  It’s like Jill over-enunciates her words and the children try to do the same, sort of.  I don’t know, it’s difficult for me to explain what I mean.  Does anyone understand what I’m trying to say?

• Love 3

TBH, I couldn't make out much of what Sofia was singing. I just caught something about the old house. I think I was so surprised to understand her that I didn't pay attention to any speech patterns.

• Love 1

Troubling news regarding Anna Marie Maxwell's cancer treatments. Teri was asked in the most recent post that @Temperance mentioned about Anna's course of chemo. The poster wanted to know if it was conventional chemo or the alternative chemo that Anna had written of before. Teri replied that  she is undergoing "the other kind." 

I hope this isn't some woo garbage, but some on FJ think they know where she's going to be treated, and that it is questionable at best. 

I don't want to see six young kids grow up without their mother because she made bad choices.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Did you all watch the IG video of Sofia trying to play the piano and sing?  She talks in the same weird manner as the rest of the kids.  What causes that, and why do they all speak that way?  Are they trying to emulate Jill?  David doesn’t talk like that.  It’s like Jill over-enunciates her words and the children try to do the same, sort of.  I don’t know, it’s difficult for me to explain what I mean.  Does anyone understand what I’m trying to say?

Yes I thought the same thing. She reminded me of Tim's very odd speech pattern and it must be done to please the drill seargent. There seems to be abuse going on in that house and none of us can do anything to help! 

Edited by Annabel11

DCF has looked into this family on more than one occasion. They check all the right boxes to not stay on their radar. Just barely though. But freedom of religion will always win as long as kids have food, shelter, education and medical attention.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

DCF has looked into this family on more than one occasion. They check all the right boxes to not stay on their radar. Just barely though. But freedom of religion will always win as long as kids have food, shelter, education and medical attention.

And then, just to be safe, God called it upon their hearts David and Jill got the hell out of dodge after the visit.  They have just enough money to pack up and move whenever necessary.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And then, just to be safe, God called it upon their hearts David and Jill got the hell out of dodge after the visit.  They have just enough money to pack up and move whenever necessary.

DCF is all electronic now, so it's much harder to evade them by moving.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
Just now, GeeGolly said:

DCF is all electronic now, so it's much harder to evade them by moving.

I agree. I think they chose their current location in hopes that the local DCF will be more likely to leave "religious" families alone than in other areas. OTOH I don't think they have a lot of money. They funded the purchase of that property by selling their home in WV. And JillR has posted that they are (hint hint) being supported by donations to some kind of missionary association.

I'd bet they are hurtin' for certain right now since it's not as easy to hit the road and screech and shout, I mean sing and preach, at church services during the COVID-19 pandemic. It's not that I think the IFB churches will go big on complying with government health and safety orders (no large gatherings, physical distancing). But with people losing jobs and businesses getting hit, there's got to be less money available to feed and "bless" the traveling Rodrigues-for-Jesus show. And it's possible that some IFB churches may be shutting down or cutting back on church services/events anyway. 

• Love 12
36 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I agree. I think they chose their current location in hopes that the local DCF will be more likely to leave "religious" families alone than in other areas. OTOH I don't think they have a lot of money. They funded the purchase of that property by selling their home in WV. And JillR has posted that they are (hint hint) being supported by donations to some kind of missionary association.

I'd bet they are hurtin' for certain right now since it's not as easy to hit the road and screech and shout, I mean sing and preach, at church services during the COVID-19 pandemic. It's not that I think the IFB churches will go big on complying with government health and safety orders (no large gatherings, physical distancing). But with people losing jobs and businesses getting hit, there's got to be less money available to feed and "bless" the traveling Rodrigues-for-Jesus show. And it's possible that some IFB churches may be shutting down or cutting back on church services/events anyway. 

I don't think they have that much saved, but moving to another state even with the sale of a grifted house is not cheap.  Add to that the expense of moving David's printing press, and they must have had to shell out two to three grand to move.  They also spent a few hundred traveling to Ohio to look for their new house with the hotel rooms, food, and gas.  Maybe they used money from their sold home to finance their move.  Who knows.  I can't imagine them being able to grift these expenses.  I do think Jill saves enough money for a rainy day so she gets what she wants.  She and David to a lesser extent never seem to go without while their kids starve.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree @doodlebug, any cancer hero who has a 90% cure rate would be shouting it from the rooftops, not keeping it on the down low and only sharing this 'cure' through word of mouth.

Anna Marie says her doctor claims that fewer than 1% of his patients will have recurrences of their cancer while 10-15% of people with traditional chemo will have a recurrence.  She also says his miracle therapy has very few side effects and has NO effect on the immune system unlike the regular regimen.

It is really sad that she and her family are so willing to believe and accept theses claims at face value with no scrutiny.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Anna Marie says her doctor claims that fewer than 1% of his patients will have recurrences of their cancer while 10-15% of people with traditional chemo will have a recurrence.  She also says his miracle therapy has very few side effects and has NO effect on the immune system unlike the regular regimen.

It is really sad that she and her family are so willing to believe and accept theses claims at face value with no scrutiny.  

Good lord, to believe this kind of "medicine" is just so beyond delusional, I can't even. I worked with a guy who swore his father was "cured" of cancer by eating only a vegetarian diet his doctor came up with. BTW, if I ever got cancer, he'd give me the doctor's name, he lost his license in Ohio and the whole country (??? I don't think it works that way), but was practicing in Mexico. Sure dad died of cancer 5 years later, but his veggie diet cured him first.  Maybe Anna Marie's doctor can go look this guy up in Mexico and see what they can come up with. Oh, and this should surprise no one, old co-worker and his wife were part of one of those MLM essential oil scams. 

4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

My thoughts are: a.) the guy is probably a fellow fundie and; b.) I'm not surprised that people who don't believe in science are easily bamboozled by charlatans and grifters who share their same narrow, uneducated point of view.

7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think they have that much saved, but moving to another state even with the sale of a grifted house is not cheap.  Add to that the expense of moving David's printing press, and they must have had to shell out two to three grand to move.  They also spent a few hundred traveling to Ohio to look for their new house with the hotel rooms, food, and gas.  Maybe they used money from their sold home to finance their move.  Who knows.  I can't imagine them being able to grift these expenses.  I do think Jill saves enough money for a rainy day so she gets what she wants.  She and David to a lesser extent never seem to go without while their kids starve.

They should get a good amount in stimulus payments (2 adults plus all the kids), hopefully they feed them well and save a bit.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

My thoughts are: a.) the guy is probably a fellow fundie and; b.) I'm not surprised that people who don't believe in science are easily bamboozled by charlatans and grifters who share their same narrow, uneducated point of view.

@louannems lives in the Seattle area, and posted about the probable clinic on FJ. Maybe she can shed some light on the place for us beyond what Anna Marie wrote about his "cure" percentage.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

They should get a good amount in stimulus payments (2 adults plus all the kids), hopefully they feed them well and save a bit.

I'm imagining more trips to TJMaxx for decor for the warehouse and spending on Nurie's wedding, but I hope you're right. They need to consider that an income based on grifting may not be sustainable as the economy worsens. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I read somewhere that the stimulus passport for dependents taps out at $3,000 - which would be six kids. I don't know if that's true because I have no dependents so I didn't really pay much attention.

Still, an extra $5,400 would be a decent amount of food. Too bad It's likely to just go into David's printing ministry or Jill's knickknack obsession.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*snort*hahahahahahahaha *feed them well*hahahaha!!!

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, McManda said:

Still, an extra $5,400 would be a decent amount of food. Too bad It's likely to just go into David's printing ministry or Jill's knickknack obsession.

any money would totally go to hobby lobby for shit Jill uses to "decorate"

besides the bardominium remodel, they apparently had money to replace half their dining chairs. old house pics the chairs were all brown, same style. pics from the new house/Janessa's bday every other chair is white and different style

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

any money would totally go to hobby lobby for shit Jill uses to "decorate"

besides the bardominium remodel, they apparently had money to replace half their dining chairs. old house pics the chairs were all brown, same style. pics from the new house/Janessa's bday every other chair is white and different style

Priorities, you know...

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Do the Rods file taxes or receive any assistance? I don't think they qualify. And the $500 per kid is for kids under 18.

I would expect that they have to have filed a tax returns.  The lower income limit for a married couple filing jointly is $24,000.  They supposedly receive a stipend from a church charity which would be reporting that to the IRS. 

In addition to the $2400 David and Jill will get, they would also receive an additional $500 per dependent child under the age of 17 and there is no limit on the number of kids that qualify.  Based on their blog, it looks like every kid after Renee meets the age requirements, so that is 9 kids or $4500.  Combined with their $2400, the Rods should be receiving a $6900 COVID payment.

I expect, of course, being the devoted Christians they are, they probably don't report any cash gifts or meals or tanks of gas or other love offerings provided by the churches that they visit.

I think they are probably eligible for public assistance like WIC and food stamps but Jill would never admit it if they received that from the evil government.  Not that they wouldn't grab for anything they can get, just that they wouldn't admit to it.  If they don't have to file a tax return but have received government assistance, that will trigger a COVID payment, too.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

6 pictures:

I love how she says he entertained them "all the way from Wisconsin." Um...he's on a phone, lady. It requires no effort.

Also, is that some fundie-approved Snapchat filter he's using? I can't believe he'd be allowed to use a godless app without supervision. 

6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

@louannems lives in the Seattle area, and posted about the probable clinic on FJ. Maybe she can shed some light on the place for us beyond what Anna Marie wrote about his "cure" percentage.

I was thinking Anne Marie was seeking alternative treatment at Bastyr naturepathic medicine college.  But it's located in Kenmore, a suburb of Seattle.  Teri has said that where she's getting treatment is 45 minutes from her family, who live in Port Orchard.

Port Orchard would be about 45 minutes from Tacoma, which is an hour south of Kenmore.  So unless Bastyr has a Tacoma location, I doubt it's that.

Edited by louannems
  • Useful 3