Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Just as a refresher, this was held March 13-14.

Wow. That men's endeavor looked like a barrel of laughs.

My first thought about the low attendance (4 people?) was maybe because of concerns about social distancing, more people were reluctant to attend. But that was quickly replaced by common sense so I'm chalking the low attendance up to the fact that no one wants to spend any time with the Rodrigues family.

16 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Beauty for ashes.... what does that even mean?

Well, according to Mr. Google,  it's from Isaiah. It seems to be part of some sort of prophecy declaring that God's people should take heart because they'll ultimately receive various compensations for all their struggle and suffering -- one of those compensations being that, instead of the ashes and mourning that the ebil world is now handing them, they'll end up with something beautiful......

https://biblehub.com/isaiah/61-3.htm

And the something beautiful is variously translated (outside the KJV) not as just "beauty" but as "a garland," a "crown of beauty," a "beautiful headdress." a "turban," "joy and gladness," and "flowers." So, the Hebrew word must have sometimes been used to mean "Nice hat!" But the passage is obscure enough that all these many translators haven't been able to agree on whether the "hat" connotation is being implied in this passage or not.....(Although the majority by now seem to go with, "yeah, it had the 'pretty head and hair decoration' connotation in the original.")

To me the trouble with the KJV, despite the tremendous beauty and power of  much of its English, is that Wycliffe and the English bible translators that added to his work back in the 14th, 15th, 16th centuries didn't have the context of other ancient works contemporary to the bible to help them get a sense of words' full meaning and were mostly translating stuff not from the original but from a Latin translation of the original......

But of course, all that evil scholarship that's been used to help translate the more recent versions is why these fundie types hate them. That archaeology is science!!! And we know that God HATES science -- it's of the devil!  (...drives me crazy that you'd want a supreme being who makes you with a brain inside and then orders you not to use it or he'll burn you alive for eternity....AND he created a world with a history and all sorts of mathematical and other principles underlying it -- but he'll burn you in hell forever if you dedicate yourself to finding out about that....)

Anyway, since Jill uses this phrase so glibly, I assume this is one of those passages that's big with her crowd of pissed-off conservative Christians as evidence that not only are they the world's only righteous people as they keep telling us but that eventually they'll get a great reward for it.  So ha ha ha, you rotten heathens.....

What I can't figure out at all is why the heck anyone would sign up...and pay to attend.... some conference run by this obviously idiotic, mean-to-her-children, grifting, super-annoying nut. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 8
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

BFC9E61A-0D5E-46CE-B3DC-B317D2DD1211.jpeg

OMG. Jill wrote a book about how God is compensating her sister for her terrible injury. 

And using her sister's story to preach to everybody about what they're supposed to do and think...

Hard to get your head around the level of presumption it'd take to do that......But of course this is Jill......I wonder what Amy and her family really think about Jill's constant co-opting of their life stories, down underneath where they dare to articulate their real feelings....

Although maybe they think she's great....like the people who sign up for her conferences? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
10 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The men definitely look like they are having as much fun as the men I see getting dragged through a mall by their wives.

Oh come on, the men in the mall look a whole lot happier than the men at the "conference."

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Oh lord this was within 20 miles of me. Who knew all those crazy fundies were so close?

And you missed it . You could have had soooo much fun !!

• LOL 7
31 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Oooh! Now I really hope that Tim married a girl whose name begins with "N"... That's too good to waste!

Do we really think there is any woman on this earth, godly or not, that would live up to JillRod's standards? TimBits will live under Best Mama Ever's roof forever because she will not allow ANY woman to marry her precious Timmy. She could not handle not being first in her precious boy's life.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess the Websters (John and Alyssa) are doing well. They're offering to pay for some groceries for some lucky fans. Just DM them with your hardship story, and you're entered.

“ I watched you on television for years, isn’t that enough?”

either that or I’ll do you one of those “it’s my money and I want it now! “  type commercials. 

• LOL 10
44 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess the Websters (John and Alyssa) are doing well. They're offering to pay for some groceries for some lucky fans. Just DM them with your hardship story, and you're entered.

This sounds like an opportunity for JillRod. She doesn't even have to load up the RV.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Tim's biggest problem in finding someone to marry is that he has no money to support a wife and quiver. He needs to find a good job, but his family and lack of education are deterrents to that end. He's not the only fundie boy with that problem either. Plenty of fundie boys with no education, no formal skills will have trouble supporting a family and finding a wife who's okay with that. 

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Tim's biggest problem in finding someone to marry is that he has no money to support a wife and quiver. He needs to find a good job, but his family and lack of education are deterrents to that end. He's not the only fundie boy with that problem either. Plenty of fundie boys with no education, no formal skills will have trouble supporting a family and finding a wife who's okay with that. 

Since FVTC,  just went all online, hopefully he owns the proper laptop. 

• Love 1
On 3/13/2020 at 10:18 PM, JoanArc said:

At least Travis is attractive, and will likely keep his hair in his 20s. More than I can say for most of the fundie boymen.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:28 PM, GeeGolly said:

I'm wondering what JillR's thoughts are in regard to Josh.

On 3/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, JoanArc said:

I’ve read a lot of weddings are being postponed due to the virus, which is of course a sensible plan. Do we think it will affect any of these fundie nuptials?  The government is now burning calories and more than 10 people, and these weddings are just huge breeding grounds, in more ways than one.

21 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

OMG. Jill wrote a book about how God is compensating her sister for her terrible injury. 

And using her sister's story to preach to everybody about what they're supposed to do and think...

Hard to get your head around the level of presumption it'd take to do that......But of course this is Jill......I wonder what Amy and her family really think about Jill's constant co-opting of their life stories, down underneath where they dare to articulate their real feelings....

Although maybe they think she's great....like the people who sign up for her conferences? 

I'm guessing Amy isn't thrilled, based on the fact that, after Jill posting nonstop videos and updates on Amy, she had a post saying that Amy and family had asked her to stop. It may have been phrased slightly less bluntly, but that was basically it. 

I doubt they'll postpone the wedding. They'll be heartbroken if laws and/or people's own choice mean that basically nobody comes, but it's already a long engagement by fundy standards. The Duggars always say creepy things about how they have short engagements because it's too hard for the couple to wait. You know Jill was already going to go live on Facebook with the wedding anyway.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, JoanArc said:

“ I watched you on television for years, isn’t that enough?”

I can't think of any possible hardship story that would beat that.  I think you have a winner. 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

JillR pre-defends her retreat, saying it took place prior to restrictions. What would she like to say about her trip to Walmart? 

She’ll say it was at night, when the store was mostly empty and she was able to save the soul of some poor sap wandering the aisles for toilet paper. Then she’ll impersonate one of her kids and create a fake Instagram post under their name. “Hi. This is Malnourishee. I just want to get on here and tell you how wonderful my mama is...” 

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I wish someone would ask JillR how Tim is doing with his campus being closed. She'll have to fess up if he's no longer enrolled.

She can fudge about that for now, because the school is on extended Spring Break through March 29. No classes anyway. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I wonder how desperate Gil and Kelly would have to get to consider one of Jill's daughters for their sons. Considering how so far every one of their sons who's courted had their first courtship come to an end and Trace now lost a second girl (he was at least getting to know Campbell Roberts at some point she was in one of their episodes and then disappeared) and Nathan seems to like letting everyone know he's an asshole how close to desperate are Gil and Kelly getting to marry any of their sons off? The only one who got married was Zach and that ended up mostly on his terms. Sure they still did the courtship and stuff but he met Whitney on her own and got to know her without his parents around and despite Kelly's efforts to find anyone else it failed and they had to give into let Zach court Whitney. But they've yet to be able to any of their other sons off. Clearly Fundie girls aren't tripping over themselves to land themselves at Bates. Jill certainly wouldn't let any of her daughters call of a courtship and Kaylee's so well trained she might think marrying Nathan who flips out over wedding hair and will tell her she looks like crap if he thinks she does is still a dream come true. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Jill's event in Ohio required a YEAR'S worth of work from her, but wasn't she still in WV a year ago and then on the road for quite a while? How did she pull together an event in Ohio? Must have had contacts and help there. The decor is definitely Jill-level TACKY, and I bet the BOOK about her QUADRIPLEGIC SISTER is Jill's tortured grammar and spelling at its best, but somebody is NOT getting credit. 

Hope nobody gets sick from all the kissing and hugging and posing with Jill for photos. 

Jill definitely reads here and other places to see what the ungodly are saying about her, so, Jill, what is TIM doing right now? Is he IN school? Does he have a LAPTOP for his courses? Just wondering. 

• Love 6

Did Jill write a book about her sister, or how she (Jill) dealt with her sister's accident?  I know this is going to be all about her. Also, she's educated enough to write a book? Wonder how many times she says 'blessing' or 'sweet' in it. 

Also, my mind is totally at ease, knowing that she hosted a thing for ladies... Lol! 

• Love 3

IIRC, a year or two ago JillR posted one of her gushing "updates" on their blog, saying that a woman who'd been the long-time organizer of that women's retreat in Sugarcreek, OH, was no longer going to do it because of her health, and asked JillR to take it over. So IMO all Jill had to do was to just repeat what the original organizer did. Probably there's a faithful core of repeat attendees, so unless JillR sharply disappoints them with the content/facilities etc. of "her" conference, it will keep going on as usual. 

• Useful 12
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Did Jill write a book about her sister, or how she (Jill) dealt with her sister's accident?  I know this is going to be all about her. Also, she's educated enough to write a book? Wonder how many times she says 'blessing' or 'sweet' in it. 

Also, my mind is totally at ease, knowing that she hosted a thing for ladies... Lol! 

You're right about Jill being the center of the story, and not being educated or even knowledgable about a topic never stopped Jill. David must have printed this "book" so no editor or proofreader ever got a crack at fixing anything. 

• Love 5
Just now, BradandJanet said:

You're right about Jill being the center of the story, and not being educated or even knowledgable about a topic never stopped Jill. David must have printed this "book" so no editor or proofreader ever got a crack at fixing anything. 

did she say it was a book? I thought she said story, so i assumed all along it was something they printed at home

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

did she say it was a book? I thought she said story, so i assumed all along it was something they printed at home

You're right. It's not a book. I was thinking of Audrey and Jeremy Roloff, who write books based on nothing special and don't seem to worry about proofreading. 

I wonder what it costs to attend this event, and how much profit Jill made from her YEAR of work. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, charmed1 said:

She’ll say it was at night, when the store was mostly empty and she was able to save the soul of some poor sap wandering the aisles for toilet paper. Then she’ll impersonate one of her kids and create a fake Instagram post under their name. “Hi. This is Malnourishee. I just want to get on here and tell you how wonderful my mama is...” 

Hi this is SEVERELY Blessed Malnourishee Rodrigues.

My MAMA is the best!

• LOL 9
3 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Jill's event in Ohio required a YEAR'S worth of work from her, but wasn't she still in WV a year ago and then on the road for quite a while? How did she pull together an event in Ohio? Must have had contacts and help there. The decor is definitely Jill-level TACKY, and I bet the BOOK about her QUADRIPLEGIC SISTER is Jill's tortured grammar and spelling at its best, but somebody is NOT getting credit. 

Hope nobody gets sick from all the kissing and hugging and posing with Jill for photos. 

Jill definitely reads here and other places to see what the ungodly are saying about her, so, Jill, what is TIM doing right now? Is he IN school? Does he have a LAPTOP for his courses? Just wondering. 

You must mean Jill’s SEVERELY quadriplegic sister. 😉

• LOL 13
On 3/17/2020 at 9:40 PM, Zella said:

So . . . in reality not at all "before" coronavirus pandemonium but during. 

The decorating that Jill did to that conference room is the tackiest-looking mess I’ve ever seen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
21 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

The decorating that Jill did to that conference room is the tackiest-looking mess I’ve ever seen.

I know...she seems to think that as long as you can stick enough random "décor" type things in one place, never mind that none of them has been in vogue for 40 years and they don't really go together in any case, it's all good as long as you thread some lights through it. And all those boughs of greenery which she seemed to think necessary on top of everything else were SEVERELY wilted!

• Love 8