Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
sweet201

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other TLC Families Thread)

Recommended Posts


20 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

"The pagan religion of Catholicism?"

Fuck you, Jeremy.  Somewhere in Italy your ancestors are spinning in their graves.

My simple take is that if you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Messiah, then you are a Christian.  Period.

The differences between various denominations of Christianity (or Judaism, or Islam) are all man-made.  Fighting and insulting people over differences in doctrine is stupid and useless.  

This is just one of the reasons I am disillusioned by organized religion. 

 

 

To quote the brilliant Elizabeth I "There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles." 

20 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, in the immortal words of Jeremy Vuolo -- "Just as Paul and Silas encountered the demonic in Phillippi, so we encounter that here in Laredo. In this city we have the pagan religion of Catholicism gripping the souls of the majority."

So, you know, gotta save all those "pagans," including Catholics. 

 

While I don't always agree with my church, I think I will remain a very happy pagan. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

To quote the brilliant Elizabeth I "There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles." 

While I don't always agree with my church, I think I will remain a very happy pagan. 

Not just a pagan -- a demonic pagan. 

The mind reels, really. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

Oh my God!  Some of the statements in that article have my blood boiling this morning.

I'll never forget learning the term and concept of ethnocentricity in a college anthropology class.  It's having the belief that your culture or society is superior to the next.

It really opened my eyes and made me a little more conscious of not assuming that different equals bad/inferior/ignorant/wrong.

I wish some of these evangelical "saviors" would take a secular anthropology class or 2.  Or 20.

Quote from the article about the guy who was killed after he came back from a Mexico mission:  ~When he returned , he gave a short homily on his experiences. “We can’t be lukewarm,” he argued, shifting nervously but speaking with conviction. “We need to know how to defend our faith.”~   Who the heck was attacking his faith???  Missionaries seek out un-indoctrinated people - often uninvited - and try to coerce their beliefs on them.  Those missionaries are the ones doing the "attacking."  Ugh.

 

Even more ludicrous was the fact that he thought he could “convert” people that knew no English, and he didn’t speak their language either.

11 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Not just a pagan -- a demonic pagan. 

The mind reels, really. 

I kind of enjoy being a demonic pagan 😆

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly I don't think Jeremy believes most of the crap he spouts. He's just parroting whatever he thinks will advance his career. If the Pope offered him a job at the Vatican, he'd be on a plane to Italy tomorrow. 

  • Like 14
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/28/2020 at 1:56 PM, ginger90 said:

 

I guess the NotNuries are moving up the totem pole.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Honestly I don't think Jeremy believes most of the crap he spouts. He's just parroting whatever he thinks will advance his career. If the Pope offered him a job at the Vatican, he'd be on a plane to Italy tomorrow. 

Or as soon as the coronavirus threat is over. 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 11
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, Sew Sumi said:

 

Oh brother.  Like Walmart isn't bad enough.  Now I need to be on the lookout for God botherers.

Edited by toodles
  • Laugh 17

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, questionfear said:

Also, there are situations where it is downright unsafe for everyone to go around godbothering, like the missionary who was killed trying to contact the isolated island near India (where it's illegal because the indigenous people really don't like outsiders, and because they aren't exposed to much of the modern world they're at huge risk of illness from exposure) https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/03/john-chau-christian-missionary-death-sentinelese

The fool John Chau got what he deserved. Leave people alone. Seriously stupid decision to try to convert anyone.

 

Came back to add. The natives let him go twice. Third time they killed him. 

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

The fool John Chau got what he deserved. Leave people alone. Seriously stupid decision to try to convert anyone.

Killed by his own hubris. Thought he could pull off the impossible and these natives would be won for his ego christ.

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I kind of enjoy being a demonic pagan 😆

To be fair, we demonic pagans have a lot more fun.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Honestly I don't think Jeremy believes most of the crap he spouts. He's just parroting whatever he thinks will advance his career. If the Pope offered him a job at the Vatican, he'd be on a plane to Italy tomorrow. 

I hear this a lot about Jeremy, but that's actually something about Jeremy that (if true) I think is even worse than some of the others. I don't know if he believes what he says, but I take what he says at face value because he is on record saying these things and signing that hideous petition and he has never publicly disavowed any of it. If he doesn't actually think that way and parrots those things just to kiss ass, that makes him even worse (in my mind) than someone who genuinely holds the same hateful beliefs. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post

Oh this just occurred to me about RPP. Not only has Jeremy not disavowed the hateful things he has said about Catholics (as well as that petition he signed), but he has maintained silence over it, despite he and Jinger losing repeated influencer deals over these beliefs. If he didn't really think it, why doesn't he speak up and say he no longer has these beliefs? The fact he has remained silent about it, despite repeated public humiliations and lost revenue, makes me think he doesn't try to defend himself because he does think it but doesn't want to own it. I think at heart Jeremy is a coward. 

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Tasya said:

Tiny, tiny voice here, but McArthur isn't the only religious person that preaches against Catholicism. I grew up in the black Baptist church and our pastor definitely called them idolaters. In fact when I went to a youth convention and we had a class on cults, Catholicism was included. The thought is that reverence of the pope, confessing to priests rather than just to God, statues and reverence of Mary...the list goes on. I'm not agreeing with it, but rather just pointing out that it's not only a small weird fundie thing for Catholics to be considered "other" in the terms of Christianity. 

And granted, the Catholic church has always considered itself the one "true religion". Though in 8 years of Catholic school, I never recall calling any other denomination "demonic". Maybe my church/school was different?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Oh this just occurred to me about RPP. Not only has Jeremy not disavowed the hateful things he has said about Catholics (as well as that petition he signed), but he has maintained silence over it, despite he and Jinger losing repeated influencer deals over these beliefs. If he didn't really think it, why doesn't he speak up and say he no longer has these beliefs? The fact he has remained silent about it, despite repeated public humiliations and lost revenue, makes me think he doesn't try to defend himself because he does think it but doesn't want to own it. I think at heart Jeremy is a coward. 

There really are only two alternatives for what goes on in his head about this, I'm pretty sure.

One is the one you mention here -- "does think it but is too much of a coward to own it." 

And of course the other is the interpretation that was just mentioned upthread -- "doesn't think it but is willing to let people believe he does because pretending he embraces these ideas brings him money and favors." 

So it's either bigoted and social-justice despising coward or greedy jerk who lends support to harmful and hateful ideas he doesn't even believe for personal gain. 

Tossup which of those personas is the crappier one, I'd say. Strength and integrity aren't features of either. 

 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

The Maxwells have a new blog post about the importance of doing dishes before going to bed. It's easily one of the top ten worst blog posts on their blog. It also may be a coping mechanism while dealing Anna Marie's cancer. I cut them slack since they're going through something hard, but I also cut anyone of you slack who didn't do the dishes last night. (It counts if someone else in your household did.)

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

And granted, the Catholic church has always considered itself the one "true religion". Though in 8 years of Catholic school, I never recall calling any other denomination "demonic". Maybe my church/school was different?

 I went to Catholic school for both elementary and high school from the mid 60's to the mid 70's in Quebec, where Catholic schools were also public schools, and we never were told that other denominations were demonic. We even had a field trip to a synagogue one year.

 I think the "one true church" thing stems from the fact that it was the original Christian Church, but, at least in my experience, I never heard any criticism of other religions.  Of course, this was not always the case, (Spanish Inquisition, Crusades), but at least in modern times they seem to have abandoned that particular nonsense.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know anything about the Maxwells, but read the blog post just now.  At first I was very irritated because it's all about the mothers teaching the daughters about doing the dishes.

But then the accompanying pictures included men doing the dishes, so now I'm confused.  Which am I to believe?  That the kitchen chores are shared by all?  Or that the pics of the menfolk doing the work was meant to be cutesy?

For the record, I read the post because I don't have many routines re:  cleaning, and I'm always looking for tips.  When I was a kid, my mother and older siblings (primarily my sisters) did the housework.  I never had to do anything.  I never cleaned a bathroom until I moved into my first apartment, after undergrad!  Yes, I was pretty spoiled.  Any-hoo, I digress.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

 I went to Catholic school for both elementary and high school from the mid 60's to the mid 70's in Quebec, where Catholic schools were also public schools, and we never were told that other denominations were demonic. We even had a field trip to a synagogue one year.

 I think the "one true church" thing stems from the fact that it was the original Christian Church, but, at least in my experience, I never heard any criticism of other religions.  Of course, this was not always the case, (Spanish Inquisition, Crusades), but at least in modern times they seem to have abandoned that particular nonsense.

I remember going to the Bahá'í  Temple when I went to Catholic School. We also celebrated Passover every year. 

Yes, our history wasn't always the best, but in today's day and age, we seem to be more accepting of other religions. 

My best friend's husband is an anti-Catholic evangelical. Well, imagine his discomfort at my mom's memorial as the Deacon read Catholic prayers and mentioned the Virgin Mary??!! I had to smile. Now the woman my mom used to nanny for is Jewish. She took a prayer card that had the Holy Family on it! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a little late about the Rod's new bathroom, but I got a chuckle out of the sign posted above the mirrors.  "Never give up" is an interesting motto for the bathroom especially above the mirrors her daughters would use to get ready every morning.  Does she want her daughters to persevere in applying their eyebrows every morning?  Curling their hair?  Spackling makeup to their faces?  Using hairspray?  Does she want them to stand in front of the mirror all day perfecting their god-given beauty instead of fawning over her?  

Also, anyone want to tell Jill that "never give up" is most associated with uber Catholic Jim Valvano.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, toodles said:

Oh brother.  Like Walmart isn't bad enough.  Now I need to be on the lookout for God botherers.

Just stop by the garden department first and pick a hefty fly swatter. If you encounter a God botherer, swat away. Then leave it before you check out. Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. 

  • Laugh 23

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm a little late about the Rod's new bathroom, but I got a chuckle out of the sign posted above the mirrors.  "Never give up" is an interesting motto for the bathroom especially above the mirrors her daughters would use to get ready every morning.  Does she want her daughters to persevere in applying their eyebrows every morning?  Curling their hair?  Spackling makeup to their faces?  Using hairspray?  Does she want them to stand in front of the mirror all day perfecting their god-given beauty instead of fawning over her?  

Also, anyone want to tell Jill that "never give up" is most associated with uber Catholic Jim Valvano.

Never give up grifting and looking for a husband.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

And granted, the Catholic church has always considered itself the one "true religion". Though in 8 years of Catholic school, I never recall calling any other denomination "demonic". Maybe my church/school was different?

I was also raised Catholic and not once do I recall any other religion being denigrated. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm a little late about the Rod's new bathroom, but I got a chuckle out of the sign posted above the mirrors.  "Never give up" is an interesting motto for the bathroom especially above the mirrors her daughters would use to get ready every morning.  Does she want her daughters to persevere in applying their eyebrows every morning?  Curling their hair?  Spackling makeup to their faces?  Using hairspray?  Does she want them to stand in front of the mirror all day perfecting their god-given beauty instead of fawning over her?  

Also, anyone want to tell Jill that "never give up" is most associated with uber Catholic Jim Valvano.

Never heard of Jim Valvano.  I can't blame Jill for not knowing who is Jim Valvano. 

19 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I was also raised Catholic and not once do I recall any other religion being denigrated. 

Vatican II allegedly ended the Church putting down other religions. I have seen Catholics who want to bring back putting other denominations, etc.  An older Catholic once told me that she was told to pray for a relative who was Protestant, because that relative wouldn't go to heaven.

 

Edited by Temperance
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Back to the Seewalds for a sec. Guinn is still fundie enough to invoke Jesus in her posts. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Believe it or not, her eyebrows used to be even worse! She practically had a unibrow!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She's a beautiful girl, but she needs to take those eyebrows down a notch.

All I see when I look at her is a Trekkie emulating the eyebrow look of Mr. Spock. 

Being a Trekkie myself, I can get behind that. But I doubt it's what she has in mind. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 16

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Never heard of Jim Valvano.  I can't blame Jill for not knowing who is Jim Valvano. 

Vatican II allegedly ended the Church putting down other religions. I have seen Catholics who want to bring back putting other denominations, etc.  An older Catholic once told me that she was told to pray for a relative who was Protestant, because that relative wouldn't go to heaven.

 

If you ever need a good cry, Google Jim Valvano ESPY speech.  He was the head coach for NC State basketball in the 80s where they has the perfect Cinderella season in 1983 before dying of cancer a decade later.   He gave the speech less than 2 months before succumbing to cancer.

  I live in the land of college basketball so I am very familiar with him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Derelict might know of Valvano. ESPN has Jimmy V week every year (basketball), which raises money through the V Foundation for cancer research. He might have been involved in some Jimmy V games during his stint as Pistol Pete. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Vatican II allegedly ended the Church putting down other religions. I have seen Catholics who want to bring back putting other denominations, etc.  An older Catholic once told me that she was told to pray for a relative who was Protestant, because that relative wouldn't go to heaven.

 

Yeah, I've had a few rather militant Catholic relatives tell all the rest of us we were going to hell for not being Catholic.  🙄 They are definitely opposed to Vatican II and want a return to "the good old days."

I know lots of other perfectly lovely people who are Catholic and never been anything but welcoming and tolerant, so I know this isn't mainstream Catholic thought, but it is lurking in certain circles in the same way not all Protestants think Catholics are going to hell but there are some radical assholes who are really offensive and intolerant. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 9
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

I can’t tell Bin’s sisters apart!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Back when Jessica was dirty blonde, she and Michelle were dead ringers. Danielle is easy because she's the dark, exotic one (with the scary eyebrows). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Since Bringing Up Bates starts the new season soon, people on another snark sites thought there might be some sort of announcement from the Bates family. We'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Since Bringing Up Bates starts the new season soon, people on another snark sites thought there might be some sort of announcement from the Bates family. We'll see. 

With the exception of Alyssa and Michaela, it can't be a pregnancy announcement. There have been pictures of the daughter next in line to Josie, cozying up to a guy. Maybe a new courtship or engagement?

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

With the exception of Alyssa and Michaela, it can't be a pregnancy announcement. There have been pictures of the daughter next in line to Josie, cozying up to a guy. Maybe a new courtship or engagement?

Josie could be pregnant again as well. Willow is only 8 months, but Josie wouldn’t be the first Bates to have a second baby less than 2 years after the first one.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Back to the Seewalds for a sec. Guinn is still fundie enough to invoke Jesus in her posts. 

 

It's not "Fundie" to thank the Lord for blessings in your life. The same way it's not ok for the Duggars and adjacent to denigrate others and their lifestyles, it's equally as bad to attack all things involving Christ. 

  • Like 15
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

With the exception of Alyssa and Michaela, it can't be a pregnancy announcement. There have been pictures of the daughter next in line to Josie, cozying up to a guy. Maybe a new courtship or engagement?

Katie has a guy she's been seeing. Some have speculated that it has moved to the courtship stage since there have been photos of her in New York with him, etc. I've assumed they were waiting to announce that (if they have) until the new season. No sense wasting an announcement of a courtship or engagement during a hiatus when the eligible Bates are dwindling and the boys seem to have bad luck making these last. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Tasya said:

It's not "Fundie" to thank the Lord for blessings in your life. The same way it's not ok for the Duggars and adjacent to denigrate others and their lifestyles, it's equally as bad to attack all things involving Christ. 

Definitely, its not just Fundies.  I just side eye and tend to ignore all people who feel the need to constantly mention Jesus/Christ...etc on their social media posts.

I have a Aunt in law that I mainly ignore and sometimes put her on a "time-out" on Facebook because the posts are constant.  I'm glad you are religious and love Jesus but enough is enough.  I guess I just don't understand the point of them.  Does Jesus keep count of the # of times you mention him in social media?  

  • Like 12
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Tasya said:

It's not "Fundie" to thank the Lord for blessings in your life. The same way it's not ok for the Duggars and adjacent to denigrate others and their lifestyles, it's equally as bad to attack all things involving Christ. 

How is it “ attacking” to describe something as fundie? And some of us don’t believe in a Christ so that term is meaningless to us. The satanic church means just as little to me, but they have a legitimate following as well. 

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I prefer full brows to overly tweezed ones, but wow, Jessica looks harsh. She reminds me of Seinfeld's Uncle Leo and his angry eyebrows.

eyebrows.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

Today is the BuB season premiere, but there have been no announcements. Actually, they've all been quiet on SM today (with the exception of Erin), which is strange. They're usually out there promoting the show.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Portia said:

I prefer full brows to overly tweezed ones, but wow, Jessica looks harsh. She reminds me of Seinfeld's Uncle Leo and his angry eyebrows.

eyebrows.jpg

that is who she reminded me of! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for nothing to all of you!!!  I had never heard of the Bates until I stumbled onto this board because of my emerging Duggar obsession.

I have just set my DVR to record Bringing Up Bates because of the bad influences here!  My tv watching knows no bounds.  😛

  • Laugh 18

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size