Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
7 hours ago, SMama said:

IIRC those same three boys visited Michael in Chicago when she (and Brandon) lived in a one bedroom apartment. They did sleep on the floor.

Alyssa moves Allie to share with her sisters and uses the room as a guest room. 

In my extended family, it was never a big deal for kids to sleep on the floor for a few nights when there are people visiting. Or when their family was traveling and staying with folks. Sleeping bags, or sheets/blankets/comforters - there was clean bedding and everybody was fine. Most kids, especially boys, don't mind and even think it's fun. Somehow everyone survived such horrendous deprivation (/snark) just fine. If that's what the Bateses are used to, it's familiar to me. And, BTW, nobody in our extended family had a huge brood or was part of some fundie cult. Just a certain amount of Southern, country, roots.

Edited by Jeeves
Bateses stuff
  • Love 20

We now have a house with a guest room and “en suite”. But when the grands come to visit one sleeps in the guest room and one sleeps on a foam folding mattress by Lucid we got on amazon, in my sewing room and one sleeps on same kind of mattress in mr lookeyloo’s computer room. We have sheets, blankets and pillows. They all like their privacy although all the beds would fit in guest room. I don’t see this as a big deal. Plenty of other stuff to snark on though. 

• Love 13

That bathroom has wayyy too much crap in it, literally. All I can think about is how much fecal matter will be clinging to every single thing in there 🤮

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I have a jigsaw puzzle similar to the huge picture hanging on the bathroom wall.  I can't  believe she would hang a picture that size (XL) in the bathroom yet alone a girls' bathroom. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Brown is "out" at the moment.  I would not be surprised if all the materials for the bathroom were found in the clearance section of Lowe's.  The walls appear to be fake tile panelling. I can't fault them for being thrifty, even if the bathroom is not my style. Way too much dust catching "decor" and doilies, but that appears to be Jill's thing.   My main concern is that the plumbing and electric work are most probably not up to code, and likely not permitted.

• Love 8

The Rods' priorities are interesting. They save on permits, labor, and materials and then spend on dust-catching junk. Even if Jilly gets that stuff on sale, the house is full of it, and even cheap crap adds up if you buy enough of it. 

• Love 14
14 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Why doesn’t he get LOADS of paying jobs so his kids don’t have to beg for dinner?

I really wonder if he actually left those jobs voluntarily or if he was asked to leave. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

There are a lot of outlets in that bathroom (for hair dryers and curling irons, I'm sure), but code requires GFCI/AFCI breakers to prevent shocks and fires. I'm sure Ohio follows these standards. I don't see any, but perhaps the electrical inspector could visit.

Think of how the combination of papery decor and hairspray fumes in that room would fuel a fire if one started. Then, there's the bedroom with even more stuff. 

• Love 6
(edited)

A fire in that bathroom would be a horrible conflagration considering all the hairspray and crap that is in the air and in their hair.  Then there is the furniture piled up against the beds, it's like organized hoarding. They would be trapped.

Edited by Chicklet
typos everywhere
  • Love 1
Just now, SMama said:

What an HONOR it is to grift full time!

Well, you gotta admit, she has it down to a science. She's grifted a HOUSE for crying out loud. Not to mention the new car after Nurie totaled their wrecker.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

here are a lot of outlets in that bathroom (for hair dryers and curling irons, I'm sure), but code requires GFCI/AFCI breakers to prevent shocks and fires. I'm sure Ohio follows these standards. I don't see any, but perhaps the electrical inspector could visit.

The outlets look to be GFCI to me. I'm not an expert, so maybe not, but I was surprised. I would have thought Jill and/or David either wouldn't know or wouldn't care. I'm not interested to know what the switch between the tub and the toilet controls.

That's far, far too many unneedef decorations in the bathroom. A raggedy Ann doll on a shelf? That rivals Jill Duggar's dried wedding bouquets hanging over her tub, imo.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

And once again, sending "missionaries" and materials to predominantly Catholic countries.  

WHY?

Got to save us evil Catholics. You know we aren't Christians. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

And once again, sending "missionaries" and materials to predominantly Catholic countries.  

WHY?

I don't approve of missionaries trying to convert anyone of any faith or no faith, but I don't see why it's worse they try to us Catholics than anyone else. Jason Duggar, Lauren Caldwell, etc. went to Greece a few years ago also to convert Orthodox Christians. Is that any better?

Some countries that aren't Christian are trying to kick missionaries out, because they want to preserve beliefs of their country and the missionaries can be exploitive of the locals.(For Example, some missionaries (not anyone in particular) could be collecting money from people who are very poor). It's probably easier to introduce their version of Christianity to people who already have a positive opinion and general overview of the Christinaity than to people who have no idea what it's about. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

WHY?

Well, in the immortal words of Jeremy Vuolo -- "Just as Paul and Silas encountered the demonic in Phillippi, so we encounter that here in Laredo. In this city we have the pagan religion of Catholicism gripping the souls of the majority."

So, you know, gotta save all those "pagans," including Catholics. 

Everyone who isn't a conservative Protestant is a pagan. .... And pagans are bad. Paganism (of all these kinds) "grips" people. Unlike the one true religion as supported by Bill Gothard, JIm Bob Duggar, John MacArthur, etc. That's the idea, obviously. 

I do get that there's the great commission and they believe that they have to go out in the world and bring people to their Jesus......And I don't know how you reconcile that with the modern world....

But .I also think most of these particular characters embrace it more because it makes them feel superior than because they actually care about saving other people from hell.

Seems to me if you really cared to save people  from hell, you wouldn't be constantly insulting them at the same time. You'd feel some sort of compassion towards them, or direct some such positive emotion that way. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

To me trying to "convert" Christians from one denomination to another reeks of poaching.  It's a zero sum game where you haven't accomplished anything except moving people from one church building to another.  

I remember a sermon from my childhood about how wrong and wasteful doing that was and to be wary of doing it.  In other words, never assume the other person isn't churched, isn't saved, doesn't have a faith, etc.

• Love 22
12 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

"The pagan religion of Catholicism?"

Fuck you, Jeremy.  Somewhere in Italy your ancestors are spinning in their graves.

My simple take is that if you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Messiah, then you are a Christian.  Period.

The differences between various denominations of Christianity (or Judaism, or Islam) are all man-made.  Fighting and insulting people over differences in doctrine is stupid and useless.  

This is just one of the reasons I am disillusioned by organized religion. 

You said it better than I ever could have. I wish I could upvote this twice. 

• Love 14
On 3/3/2020 at 12:29 PM, BradandJanet said:

Good. I hope David did those outlets correctly. The mass of decorations is hazardous enough without tempting fate with electricity.  

Looks like the bathroom is directly across from the Paris closet. 

Perhaps some concerned church goers volunteered/intervened to prevent David, who I assume has no life insurance, from killing himself. Concerned church goers must be the Rodrigues’ safety net. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Perhaps some concerned church goers volunteered/intervened to prevent David, who I assume has no life insurance, from killing himself. Concerned church goers must be the Rodrigues’ safety net. 

I think concerned church goers are the Rods' entitlement program.

• Love 14
Just now, GeeGolly said:

I think concerned church goers are the Rods' entitlement program.

I agree. But I think that if they'd had that kind of help with their construction, she'd have plastered it all over SM. She's certainly not shy about posting all the meals and outings that they get treated to by pastors and churches. 

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Temperance said:

I don't approve of missionaries trying to convert anyone of any faith or no faith, but I don't see why it's worse they try to us Catholics than anyone else. Jason Duggar, Lauren Caldwell, etc. went to Greece a few years ago also to convert Orthodox Christians. Is that any better?

Some countries that aren't Christian are trying to kick missionaries out, because they want to preserve beliefs of their country and the missionaries can be exploitive of the locals.(For Example, some missionaries (not anyone in particular) could be collecting money from people who are very poor). It's probably easier to introduce their version of Christianity to people who already have a positive opinion and general overview of the Christinaity than to people who have no idea what it's about. 

Also, there are situations where it is downright unsafe for everyone to go around godbothering, like the missionary who was killed trying to contact the isolated island near India (where it's illegal because the indigenous people really don't like outsiders, and because they aren't exposed to much of the modern world they're at huge risk of illness from exposure) https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/03/john-chau-christian-missionary-death-sentinelese

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

"The pagan religion of Catholicism?"

Fuck you, Jeremy.  Somewhere in Italy your ancestors are spinning in their graves.

My simple take is that if you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Messiah, then you are a Christian.  Period.

The differences between various denominations of Christianity (or Judaism, or Islam) are all man-made.  Fighting and insulting people over differences in doctrine is stupid and useless.  

This is just one of the reasons I am disillusioned by organized religion. 

To quote the brilliant Elizabeth I "There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles." 

20 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, in the immortal words of Jeremy Vuolo -- "Just as Paul and Silas encountered the demonic in Phillippi, so we encounter that here in Laredo. In this city we have the pagan religion of Catholicism gripping the souls of the majority."

So, you know, gotta save all those "pagans," including Catholics. 

While I don't always agree with my church, I think I will remain a very happy pagan. 

• Love 17
16 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

To quote the brilliant Elizabeth I "There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles." 

While I don't always agree with my church, I think I will remain a very happy pagan. 

Not just a pagan -- a demonic pagan. 

The mind reels, really. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

Oh my God!  Some of the statements in that article have my blood boiling this morning.

I'll never forget learning the term and concept of ethnocentricity in a college anthropology class.  It's having the belief that your culture or society is superior to the next.

It really opened my eyes and made me a little more conscious of not assuming that different equals bad/inferior/ignorant/wrong.

I wish some of these evangelical "saviors" would take a secular anthropology class or 2.  Or 20.

Quote from the article about the guy who was killed after he came back from a Mexico mission:  ~When he returned , he gave a short homily on his experiences. “We can’t be lukewarm,” he argued, shifting nervously but speaking with conviction. “We need to know how to defend our faith.”~   Who the heck was attacking his faith???  Missionaries seek out un-indoctrinated people - often uninvited - and try to coerce their beliefs on them.  Those missionaries are the ones doing the "attacking."  Ugh.

Even more ludicrous was the fact that he thought he could “convert” people that knew no English, and he didn’t speak their language either.

11 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Not just a pagan -- a demonic pagan. 

The mind reels, really. 

I kind of enjoy being a demonic pagan 😆

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

Honestly I don't think Jeremy believes most of the crap he spouts. He's just parroting whatever he thinks will advance his career. If the Pope offered him a job at the Vatican, he'd be on a plane to Italy tomorrow. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Honestly I don't think Jeremy believes most of the crap he spouts. He's just parroting whatever he thinks will advance his career. If the Pope offered him a job at the Vatican, he'd be on a plane to Italy tomorrow. 

Or as soon as the coronavirus threat is over. 🤣

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 2/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Oh brother.  Like Walmart isn't bad enough.  Now I need to be on the lookout for God botherers.

Edited by toodles
  • LOL 17