Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, lianau said:

All the boys are teenagers

I was going to say there was no way the youngest boy was a teenager, and then I went and looked it up, and yikes, he's thirteen! He could rival Jackson Duggar for the "young teen" look. And that bed-- both the comforter and all the stuffed animals-- looks like it's meant for a six year old.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Josie, Tori, and Carlin’s husbands all look the same to me.  They all have the same trendy haircut.  I think it’s called a fade? 🤷🏼‍♀️  I just get a “ high maintenance” vibe  from all of them.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I am not impressed by the looks of the Bates girls' husbands, save for Chad (before he started aging in dog years).

Ew. I find all the bates husbands incredibly dweeby and bland. Chad is ok, but reminds me too much of my former, annoying chiropractor. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Then there's that goober Brandon. 

Who is seemingly indifferent to having children. 

So we're going to get Carlin giving birth early like Erin too. If those two reproduce as fast as the Paines I would be very surprised.

On social media Carlin has not mentioned (complained about) needing a shot every day like Erin.  Erin was more vocal about that, yet she has 4 kids already. 

Score one for Carlin.  Erin, if you really hate the shots that much, STOP HAVING BABIES!

Ok, rant over.

• Love 13

Chelsy Bontrager Maxwell still has her blog from her single days: Chelsy Renee. She just did a post about her holidays. She posts intermittently on her blog, so it took people a while to see it. This new post is from January 30, 2020. 

Chelsy had a great holiday. She spent lots of time with her family and John's. Lots of pictures. She saw her grandma, and her parents and siblings. They didn't do Thanksgiving with the Maxwells. They did Christmas with the Maxwells including the annual Christmas caroling. Chelsy spent New Year's eve with her family. 

Chelsy and John went to Vegas to celebrate their second anniversary! Her mother stayed with Axton. (He was 11 months on their anniversary and now he's a year old.  She's pregnant with #2 due in June.) Her mother watched the baby while they were in Vegas.  And they went to a rodeo in Vegas! Steve is probably shook.

The Maxwells have a new blog post up of them spending time with kids from all four families. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

What a tiny peanut ❤️❤️❤️. Bates’s sure make pretty girls. And they marry cute guys too. No Shreks so far.

Sadly Layla is a girl and the oldest so sister mom it is. 

Not that it matters, but I think Brandon and Kelton are pretty strange looking. Actually, so is John, Alyssa's husband. Chad and Evan are both cute. If I had to have a fundie husband, Chad does seem like he genuinely adores Erin (and is quite handy with projects, to boot.) At least they made the public statement that they no longer support Gothard. That's something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, becca3891 said:

Not that it matters, but I think Brandon and Kelton are pretty strange looking. Actually, so is John, Alyssa's husband. Chad and Evan are both cute. If I had to have a fundie husband, Chad does seem like he genuinely adores Erin (and is quite handy with projects, to boot.) At least they made the public statement that they no longer support Gothard. That's something.

Not really. Erin made that statement after Gothard was removed from the board. So technically no their not following Gothard but because he's no longer their head honcho or on the board it means nothing. She didn't say she no longer supported the board which her dad and Chad's dad are both on or that she rejected any of the rules or anything else. Just the leader who is no longer their leader. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
23 hours ago, Tasya said:

I think that's a very strange article. Why randomly select a Bates girl while mentioning them as "Duggar-esque" and not select a Duggar? Clearly whomever wrote that knows all about the Duggars and chose to omit them. Plus I think every single Duggar girl that is on SM has more followers than any of the Bates girls. 

The Duggar girls are associated with that Duggar boy. 

Jinger needs to up her game to spaghetti straps or halter tops if she really wants attention.

Edited by kokapetl
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Not really. Erin made that statement after Gothard was removed from the board. So technically no their not following Gothard but because he's no longer their head honcho or on the board it means nothing. She didn't say she no longer supported the board which her dad and Chad's dad are both on or that she rejected any of the rules or anything else. Just the leader who is no longer their leader. 

Yes,she's shown she still very much into all the rules..no birth control,dress wearing and no doubt they will home school

• Love 7
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

On social media Carlin has not mentioned (complained about) needing a shot every day like Erin.  Erin was more vocal about that, yet she has 4 kids already. 

Score one for Carlin.  Erin, if you really hate the shots that much, STOP HAVING BABIES!

Ok, rant over.

I give her a pass on vocally hating the shots. I had HG with all four of my pregnancies, and I'm sure I complained about the meds, side effects, and vomiting. I still wanted to be pregnant and have my babies, though.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Temperance said:

Chelsy Bontrager Maxwell still has her blog from her single days: Chelsy Renee. She just did a post about her holidays. She posts intermittently on her blog, so it took people a while to see it. This new post is from January 30, 2020. 

Chelsy had a great holiday. She spent lots of time with her family and John's. Lots of pictures. She saw her grandma, and her parents and siblings. They didn't do Thanksgiving with the Maxwells. They did Christmas with the Maxwells including the annual Christmas caroling. Chelsy spent New Year's eve with her family. 

Chelsy and John went to Vegas to celebrate their second anniversary! Her mother stayed with Axton. (He was 11 months on their anniversary and now he's a year old.  She's pregnant with #2 due in June.) Her mother watched the baby while they were in Vegas.  And they went to a rodeo in Vegas! Steve is probably shook.

The Maxwells have a new blog post up of them spending time with kids from all four families. 

That all sounds like fun, wonder how they were allowed to do all that because we all know how Stevehova feels about fun.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sleepysuzy said:

I give her a pass on vocally hating the shots. I had HG with all four of my pregnancies, and I'm sure I complained about the meds, side effects, and vomiting. I still wanted to be pregnant and have my babies, though.

I bet you didn’t complain publicly to millions of strangers though.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

That all sounds like fun, wonder how they were allowed to do all that because we all know how Stevehova feels about fun.

I'm hoping John and Chelsy went wild & had themselves some Pepsi.

• LOL 15
11 hours ago, awaken said:

Ew. I find all the bates husbands incredibly dweeby and bland. Chad is ok, but reminds me too much of my former, annoying chiropractor. 

Most of the Bates sons-in-law remind me of Randy Travis, but particularly the one who is married to Tori (or whoever the daughter is who looks most like Kelly in face and frame). The Bates sons-in-law are as homogenous and boring as the Bates daughters. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 2/1/2020 at 8:42 AM, Tasya said:

I think that's a very strange article. Why randomly select a Bates girl while mentioning them as "Duggar-esque" and not select a Duggar? 

20 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Scrolling through the article, I noticed all the influencers have several things in common: they're all attractive, polished, skilled at staging and on-trend in terms of fashion and hair. Even glowed-up Jinger looks dowdy by comparison. Jill, Jessa and Jana don't stand a chance. 

I agree. The Duggs are frumpy. Jinger is the only one who ever breaks out of "frumpy" into something like mainstream. And IMO even then she's not all that polished or a standout in looks or style. Also, almost all of her SM posts are about food or family. Little to no Christian content. 

18 hours ago, lianau said:

The Duggars come with public baggage even random people know about .

Yep. Even if any Duggar daughter were as polished and well-presented as the rest of the folks on that list, there's the baggage. Fair? Probably not. But this was a lightweight clickbait article and I'm sure the author figured they didn't need to bog things down or snarl them up by bringing a Duggar into the fun. 

Edited by Jeeves
grammar and such
  • Love 7
On 1/29/2020 at 10:35 AM, Westiepeach said:

It really annoys me when Nathan gives the "thumbs up" sign...

Sorry. Need to correct. My bad. It really annoys me when "Anna Duggar's Brother" gives the "thumbs up" sign...

Seriously.  That picture cracked me up.  I guess he made his God-bothering quota for the day.

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

I'm sure it was very unpleasant.  And it's perfectly understandable to complain about it to people close to you. But as @DangerousMinds said, you weren't complaining to millions of strangers while simultaneously preaching about how every baby is a blessing from God. 

I don't get UP tv anymore.  But I did see an episode of Bringing Up Bates when Erin was pregnant with her second.  After bitching about how difficult her pregnancy was she said this was her last pregnancy.  And then, of course, a year or so later they were "thrilled and surprised" that God had blessed them again. At that point she lost all right to complain, IMO.

• Love 19

1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Most of the Bates sons-in-law remind me of Randy Travis, but particularly the one who is married to Tori (or whoever the daughter is who looks most like Kelly in face and frame). The Bates sons-in-law are as homogenous and boring as the Bates daughters. 

I think Tori Bates husband is hot, and Erin Bates husband is semi-hot, if extremely weathered, but the rest are really vanilla. Still, more attractive than a Duggar man-child. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, becca3891 said:

They're still following IBLP. Gothard was forced out of IBLP due to the sex scandal, which the board originally helped cover up and then removed Gothard for.  Erin is deliberately misleading people. 

I agree Erin needs to quit complaining about being pregnant. She doesn't like being pregnant she can stop having babies. 

On second thought, maybe Erin's complaining will help their fans realise some of the flaws in the Quiverfull movement. 

• Love 8

Erin has moved ahead of Ashley in number of children. Jill D is still holding at two and Jinger is a mom of one. I would think influencing not having children would be a bigger hurdle to jump than not wearing dresses/skirts, even if the mom's health is a consideration.

What to you think Kelly and Michelle are saying to the girls? It's "clearly written" in the Bible that one should fill their quiver. Does an uber-Fundy get second or third tier status in heaven for such sins?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Chelsy had this to say when someone asked her about wearing jeans [with a long tunic] in the baby #2 announcement thread. The commenter pointed out isn't common in either Bontrager or Maxwell families, although the Bontrager girls do wear jeans sometimes when doing farm work.

Chelsy says "But in short, our goal is to take biblical principles and apply them to every area in life. We are now our own family and are responsible before the Lord to do that for ourselves."

This is how most people see getting married leaving your families and starting a new one, but it's unusual for the Maxwells and even the Bontragers. 

• Love 7
23 hours ago, lianau said:

We got our first inside into JilRod's new boy's bedroom . Apparently once you graduate from the babycage you end up in bunk bed prison . All the boys are teenagers

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a room set up as a decoy for cps/fans. Really girls would be living there. Puts furniture in front of bed. How can anyone use it daily.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

@Barb23, you owe me a new monitor, please. I seem to have lost control and spit my drink out and scared my dog. This is the funniest, saddest, and truest comment ever!

I'm so sorry about your monitor.  It is sad that   having a Pepsi (at their ages) would be about the wildest craziest thing they could do in Las Vegas. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I'm so sorry about your monitor.  It is sad that   having a Pepsi (at their ages) would be about the wildest craziest thing they could do in Las Vegas. 

I grew up in a conservative family..not fundie,but I use to tell ppl the craziest thing I've ever done is smoke a cig and drink a drink with caffeine in it.LOL 

• Love 3

Let's see if I have this straight. The boys got one of the existing bedrooms; Jill and David got the other; the girls got the new room with Bible verses inside the wall and an "on suite" bathroom. The bathroom that Jill called the "BOYS" bathroom but is decorated for her must be the original bathroom that they share. We haven't seen the girls' bath or the bedroom for Jill and the bestest hubby ever--the den of hot love. I'm sure she's saving the best for last. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, sondraK said:

I grew up in a conservative family..not fundie,but I use to tell ppl the craziest thing I've ever done is smoke a cig and drink a drink with caffeine in it.LOL 

You HEATHEN! 
( @sondraK I’m totally kidding, I hope you know that.)

• Love 1

Yikes.  Bates boys are 0/3 for first courtships.  Nathan has not found another girl yet.  It seems to be more than coincidental.  Wonder if prospective FILs are putting the brakes on because they worry about how their daughters will be supported?

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Sad for Trace.

Same thing would have most likely happened to the Duggar boys had JB not set things up ahead with Anna, Kendra and Lauren's fathers. There was no way any of those girls were going to dump a duggar boy. 

Bates and Duggar boys come across as so arrogant and immature in every situation I have ever seen

• Love 15

The Bates need to copy the Duggar playbook for marriages when it comes to their sons. Find single fundie maidens who raised the same way as them. Chaney was in college and probably Kelly was putting pressure on her to drop out and marry Trace this summer. They need girls like Kendra, Lauren, Anna and Abbie, who don't expect too much and don't have other life goals beyond stay-at-home babymaker. 

Suggested courtships: Alison Bontrager, Maggie Burnett, Lauren Caldwell, Jana Duggar,  Sarah Waller (David's sister) and any number of Wissman daughters.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 9
On 2/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, Temperance said:

They're still following IBLP. Gothard was forced out of IBLP due to the sex scandal, which the board originally helped cover up and then removed Gothard for.  Erin is deliberately misleading people. 

I agree Erin needs to quit complaining about being pregnant. She doesn't like being pregnant she can stop having babies. 

On second thought, maybe Erin's complaining will help their fans realise some of the flaws in the Quiverfull movement. 

On 2/2/2020 at 5:15 AM, andromeda331 said:

Thanks for the clarification. So basically, Erin was trying to appease her social media fans with the statement, which was technically true, but didn't tell the full story.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, becca3891 said:

Thanks for the clarification. So basically, Erin was trying to appease her social media fans with the statement, which was technically true, but didn't tell the full story.

Precisely. It was all double speak.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

Interesting. Trace is allowed to use the dreaded word "dating".

Yep. That word jumped right out at me. Do the Bateses do the same yak yak as the Duggars about dating is evil and if you give part of your heart away and don't marry that person you are as used up and worthless as a chewed-up and spat-out piece of gum? 

And, after all that bullshit lecturing, one of the Bates' princes just blurts right out that he was dating. Heh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

The Bateses have used dating since Zach's no touch courtship went down the tubes. They still have a courtship phase, but it's nowhere near as strict as what the Duggars force on their dating couples.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 5
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Bateses have used dating since Zach's no touch courtship went down the tubes. They still have a courtship phase, but it's nowhere near as strict as what the Duggars force on their dating couples.

Thanks. Good to know. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Thanks. Good to know. 

About the only thing the Bateses and Duggars have in common now is saving the first kiss for the wedding. Well, except for Zach, but he still confessed his transgression to his parents.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1